cure-real
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Symbology_ Eagle, Ox, Man and Lion

Why are the Eagle, the Ox, the Man and the Lion used continuously as symbols for the different clans of Jews, the different books of the New Testament, etc.
    To address the original question,

Ezekiel 1:10 reads of the Cherubim in his vision: "Their faces looked like this: Each of the four had the face of a man, and on the right side each had the face of a lion, and on the left the face of an ox; each also had the face of an eagle."

The cherubim are the original source for this grouping of 4. It is possible that the cherubim on the Mercy Seat of the Ark were thus designed (we cannot know for sure, since Ezekiel's vision was way after the time of Moses; did Moses perhaps know how cherubim looked? Do all cherubim look this way?).

Blog Entries
    Does this not represent the presence of the L_rd..??

The Man Jesus Christ,1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
    ....who was born from the Tribe of Judah (Lion),....
    Deut 32:11 As an eagle that stirs up her nest, That flutters over her young, He spread abroad his wings, he took them, He bore them on his feathers.
    He (Jesus) will cover us with His feathers and under His wings we'll find refuge.. (Psalm 91)

The Ox has something to do with sacrifce....
    The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
    God plants in our hearts
    to remind us
    there are better things ahead.
    -Holley Gerth

Quote Originally Posted by ACCM View Post
    Does this not represent the presence of the L_rd..??

The Man Jesus Christ,1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
    ....who was born from the Tribe of Judah (Lion),....
    Deut 32:11 As an eagle that stirs up her nest, That flutters over her young, He spread abroad his wings, he took them, He bore them on his feathers.
    He (Jesus) will cover us with His feathers and under His wings we'll find refuge.. (Psalm 91)

The Ox has something to do with sacrifce....
    and service., a beast of burden..................a servant - Phi 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

It's not that these creatures can't by symbolic of the Lord Jesus, but I think the Ezekiel vision is not directly connected to that.

Symbolism is tricky. Christ is the lion of the tribe of Judah, but Satan roams about like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour.

Christ is the bright morning star, and Lucifer is the star of the morning.

So some things are not all that clear cut.

I think it is right to say that "the Law is the shadow of things to come." But I am not sure that the ox and the eagle are obvious symbols of the Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCM View Post
    THE SYMBOLS OF ISRAEL

Rueben:Man/Water
    Simeon:Sword/Gate
    Judah:Lion/3 Lions
    Zebulun:Ship
    IssacharLaden Ass
    Dan;Serpent/Horse
    Gad:Troop
    Asher:Cup
    Naphtali:Stag
    Benjamin:Wolf
    Ephraim:Ox, Unicorn
    Manasseh:Olive Branch, Arrows
    Is it possible for you to supply biblical reference for the above. I find it very interesting. Jacob's prophecy (Genisis 49) covers most of what you have said, but others don't seem to fit. Ox and Unicorn?
    Nothing more. Nothing less.
    My faith in Christ is righteousness!
    Jesus came to save us, His Spirit to change us.
    Christ covers OUR imperfection with HIS perfection!!!

Don't get confused with symbology and simile. Satan is 'like' a roaring lion, looking for something to devour, not 'symbolised'. Prophecy does deal with metaphor, symbology and simile. All quite different.
    Nothing more. Nothing less.
    My faith in Christ is righteousness!
    Jesus came to save us, His Spirit to change us.
    Christ covers OUR imperfection with HIS perfection!!!

I read somewhere about a battle between the bear dragon and the eagle where the eagle was wounded but in the end was victorious. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmith922 View Post
    I read somewhere about a battle between the bear dragon and the eagle where the eagle was wounded but in the end was victorious. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
    Is this battle supposed to be in the Bible? I'm not familiar with a scene quite like that in the Bible. Anyone else know where this may be from?
    II Timothy 2:15
    Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
    Read My Testimony Visit Our Website

Quote Originally Posted by joztok View Post
    Is it possible for you to supply biblical reference for the above. I find it very interesting. Jacob's prophecy (Genisis 49) covers most of what you have said, but others don't seem to fit. Ox and Unicorn?
    Unicorn was olde english for an oxen like beast.

As stated, all the Tribe symbolic designations derive from Jacob/Israel's prophecy in Genesis 49, and also partly from Moses' benediction in Deuteronomy 33.

Notice both patriarchs gave blessings and prophecy over the Tribes before they passed from this life. One in the end of the first book of the Pentateuch, another in the end of the last book of the Pentateuch.

Deuteronomy 33:13-17 And of Joseph he said, Blessed of the LORD be his land, for the precious things of heaven, for the dew, and for the deep that coucheth beneath, And for the precious fruits brought forth by the sun, and for the precious things put forth by the moon, And for the chief things of the ancient mountains, and for the precious things of the lasting hills, And for the precious things of the earth and fulness thereof, and for the good will of him that dwelt in the bush: let the blessing come upon the head of Joseph, and upon the top of the head of him that was separated from his brethren.

His glory is like the firstling of his bullock, and his horns are like the horns of unicorns: with them he shall push the people together to the ends of the earth: and they are the ten thousands of Ephraim, and they are the thousands of Manasseh.

All are seen around the Throne in Revelation, and Ezekiel as stated before. They are the symbolic designations seen 'encamping' around God's presence....

earthly actualities only mirror heavenly realities...

so thus, God had it mirrored within the encampment of Israel.... as the Tabernacle and Most Holy Place... the place of God's Ark of the Covenant was in the midst... where God was considered to have 'dwelt' manifestly and expressly... mirroring His throne room in Heaven...

All 4 chief tribe designations are also parallel to the theme messages of the 4 gospels... all 4 symbols also seem to correlate well with a unique characteristic of Christ's dual nature.
    • He is the King (Lion)
    • He is the Servant (Ox)
    • He is the earthly Man (Son of Man)
    • and He is the soaring, heavenly Eagle (Son of God)

I see the reigning Royal Jewish King long prophesied about, expressed in Matthew (Lion of Judah)
    I see the lowly, suffering man of burden, expressed in Mark (Ox)
    I see the very human nature of Christ played out in Luke (Man)
    And finally, set apart from the 3 synoptic Gospels... on its own level, I see the heavenly, mystical reality of Christ as the Son from Heaven, the WORD from Above, the LOGOS of God... with its piercing heavenly insight, I see John equating with the (Eagle), who soars high and far... but with such piercing vision to see into the realities of the heavenly mysteries.

A chart I pasted together.....

The Four Beasts represent the Whole House of Israel.
    Num 2:1 And the LORD spoke unto Moses and unto Aaron, saying,
    Num 2:2 Every man of the children of Israel shall pitch by his own standard, with the ensign of their father's house: far off about the tabernacle of the congregation shall they pitch.
    Deu 33:1 And this is the blessing, wherewith Moses the man of God blessed the children of Israel before his death.
    Deu 33:16 And for the precious things of the earth and fullness thereof, and forthe good will of him that dwelt in the bush: let theblessing come upon the head of Joseph, and upon the top of the head of him thatwas separated from his brethren.
    Deu 33:17 His glory islike the firstling of his bullock, and his horns arelikethe horns of unicorns: with them he shall push the people together to the ends of the earth: and they are the ten thousands of Ephraim, and they are the thousands of Manasseh.

The verses in Revelation are symbolic of the way God made a way for Israel across the Continent of Europe to their appoited place in Britain.

DURING THE CHRISTIAN DISPENSATION LOST ISRAEL WAS TO POSSESS CERTAIN MARKS OF IDENTIFICATION

A great and mighty nation.Gen. 12:2; 18:18; Deut. 4:7-8.
    Named "Great.Gen. 12:2.

The Chief of the nations.Gen. 27:29; Deut. 7:6; 15:6.
    A maritime nation, having Gen. 49:25; Num 24:7; Deut. 33:13, 19;
    command of the seas. Psa. 89:25.

Company or Commonwealth Gen. 35:11; 48:19; Eph. 2:12.
    of nations.
    A missionary nation.Gen. 22:18; Isa. 43:21; 49:6; 66:19.
    The custodian of God's Word.Psa. 147:19, 20; Isa. 59:21, Gen. 18:19.

A just nation.Lev. 19:15; Deut. 1:17; Zeph. 3:13.
    An undefeated nation.Isa. 54:17; Mic. 5:8, 9.

Blind to their identity.Isa. 29:10-12; 42:16-20; Rom. 11:7-25.

Have an island home Isa. 49:1-3, 12; Jer. 3:18; 31:8.
    north and west of Palestine. Irrigate the desert Isa. 35:1; 43:19, 20; 58:11, 12.
    and build the waste places.
    Possess the wealth of the earth.Gen. 27:28; 49:25, 26;
    Deut. 33:13, 16.
    Possess the heritage of the heathen.2 Sam. 22:44; Psa. 2:8; 111:6.
    Receive strangers and refugees.Lev. 19:33, 34; Isa. 11:10; 14:1; Isa. 55:5; 56:6-8; Zech. 8:22.
    Set free slaves and prisoners.Psa. 72:4:Isa. 42:7; 49:9; 58:6.
    Have a descendant of King 2 Sam. 7:13; 1 Chron. 22:10;
    David reigning over them.2 Chron. 13:5; Psa. 89:35-37; Jer. 33:17.
    Lose all trace of their lineage.Hos. 1:9, 10; Isa. 42:16; Rom. 11:25.

These are only a few but I hope it helps.

God Bless
    Luke 7:35

Luke 7:35--Are you composing your posts, or quoting from some source? If so, from where?
    Phl 4:11 Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.

Righton Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigJC05 View Post
    Why are the Eagle, the Ox, the Man and the Lion used continuously as symbols for the different clans of Jews, the different books of the New Testament, etc.
    This is from Ezekiel's vision of the Cheribum.

Here is my answer.

They are the four fixed signs of the Zodiac.

Every second sign in a group of three is fixed. The first is Taurus, the bull. The second is Leo, the lion. The third is Scorpio, the scorpion. [Before the scorpion was used for this sign, the eagle was.] The fourth is Aquarius, the man.

Before a moderator jumps the gun on me, let me introduce SCRIPTURE here:

Job 38:32 (King James Version)
    32Canst thou bring forth Mazzaroth in his season? or canst thou guide Arcturus with his sons?

Topical index results2 Results
    ZODIAC
    MAZZAROTH Probably signs of the zodiac, see (Job 38:32)

From http://www.biblegateway.com

This is an original Hebrew word, translated differently by modern translations, to mean "Constellations". But in this text, in Job, The LORD asks Job if he can direct the zodiac.

My interpretation: The twelve tribes of Israel, like the twelve apostles, the twelve gates of Jerusalem, etc., represent the twelve basic signs that encompass all mankind, given us by The LORD at our birth.

This post of mine should be acceptable, because it comes from scripture, Job 38:32. Though there are Christians who have a great fear of astology, little do many know it is found in scripture, this passage from The LORD to Job. I am not saying we should use astrology as our guide, in place of the LORD, and there are passages [Isaiah 47] that condemn using astrologers as guides. But astrology itself is not made certain in scripture to be a work of evil. According to the passage in Job, it is The LORD who controls the zodiac, or Mazzaroth.

Some translations us "bull" rather than "ox". Ezekiel 1:10 (New American Standard Bible)
    10As for the (A)form of their faces, each had the (B)face of a man; all four had the face of a lion on the right and the face of a bull on the left, and all four had the face of an eagle.

Also:

Matthew 2: 1Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, [a]magi from the east arrived in Jerusalem, saying,

Footnotes:

Matthew 2:1 A caste of wise men specializing in astronomy, astrology, and natural science

As this is in scripture, it should be an acceptable post.

Blog Entries
    Righton, I have to disagree with the assertion that astrology is somehow made acceptable in scripture. Astronomy and astrology, though similar are very different in practice. Astronomy is the study of heavenly bodies; stars, moons, constellations etc. Astrology is the attempt to use those heavenly bodies to in some way divine how human lives are affected by them. The enemy tends to take what God has made and attempt to pervert it. That is the case when you look at astronomy in comparison to astrology.

The four beasts may very well represent four different constellations. I have heard it preached that God gave us the gospel in the stars. The virgin, the water bearer, the lion (Lion of Judah) and more. There are signs within the heavens that make it sure that man is without excuse. I have no problem looking at those signs as they will lead us to the cross. Astrology, however, can only lead us away from the cross. I hope you see that a believer can look into the stars and see the signs that give God the glory, without having to rationalize that astrology is somehow not the perversion of the enemy (which it is).

Astrology is not biblically sound. Astronomy is. Simply pointing out that the magi may have been astrologers does not endorse the practice. You'd need to show scripture that shows that God endorses it. Pointing out that God mentions constellations does not show endorsement of divination through astrology. The constellations are His creation and thus give Him glory.

God Bless!
    II Timothy 2:15
    Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
    Read My Testimony Visit Our Website

Thread Information