cure-real
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mourning

Mourning

I had wanted to find out what the bible says about mourning and how long they mourned for their loved ones who had died. I feel as if I will mourn forever for our Nathan. It still hurts very badly. I just had the thoughts to look up mourning in the bible. I did find where they mourned thirty days for Moses but I really didn't find what I was looking for. Which I didn't really know what it is I'm looking for either. Anyway I ran across this in Isaiah and I thought this was very beautiful..............

Isaiah 60:19 " The sun shall no longer be your light by day,
    Nor for brightness shall the moon give light to you;
    But the LORD will be to you an everlasting light,
    And your God your glory.

20 Your sun shall no longer go down,
    Nor shall your moon withdraw itself;
    For the LORD will be your everlasting light,
    And the days of your mourning shall be ended.

21 Also your people shall all be righteous;
    They shall inherit the land forever,
    The branch of My planting,
    The work of My hands,
    That I may be glorified.

If you guys can find more verses about mourning I would appreciate it.
    Thanks
    The Journal of my grandson Nathaniel's courageous battle with cancer.........

http://www.caringbridge.org/cb/input...nathanielemily

Revelation 21:4) And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away."

Shalom Dear Sister,

I have much to say, but this says it so succinctly.

Matthew 5:4

4"Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
    ~~In Messiah,
    Vickilynn
    Micah 6:8

http://bibleforums.org/forum/images/avatars/PrayForMiepie.jpg

Blog Entries
    It will take you awhile to get over it. It was all intense for you, and you were with him for so long. Just let Him lead you....you will always have a soft place in your heart for Nathan, and that is a good thing.
    God happens!
    'I Can Only Imagine'

Bless the Beasts and the Children:
    http://youtu.be/AhR36gV6vW4

On cautionary note:
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectPeter
    When they say something... it is about anyone's guess what it is they really mean... but NEVER ask for clarification of their mysterious language... they are often very happy to give it and that's when the discussion goes FREAKY!

Shalom,

Ecclesiastes

7:2 It is better to go to the house of mourning, than to go to the house of feasting: for that is the end of all men; and the living will lay it to his heart.
    7:3 Sorrow is better than laughter: for by the sadness of the countenance the heart is made better.
    7:4 The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning; but the heart of fools is in the house of mirth.
    ~~In Messiah,
    Vickilynn

Shalom,

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up [that which is] planted; A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;"
    Ecclesiastes 3:1-4
    ~~In Messiah,
    Vickilynn

Shalom,

"I will turn their mourning into gladness. I will give them
    comfort and joy instead of sorrow."
    ~Jeremiah 31:13~
    ~~In Messiah,
    Vickilynn

Easton's says this: "In the later times we find a class of mourners who could be hired to give by their loud lamentation the external tokens of sorrow
    (2 Chr. 35:25; Jer. 9:17; Matt. 9:23)."
    Let's look at some of what the Bible says about Sorrow:
    Nave's Topical Biblehelps us to understand what the Bible says about SORROW.
    Sorrowis mentioned 65 times in the Bible.
    Main Entry: 1sor row
    Pronunciation: 'sär-(")O, 'sor-
    Function:
    noun
    Etymology: Middle English
    sorow, from Old English sorg; akin to Old High German sorga sorrow
    Date: before 12th century
    1 a : deep distress, sadness, or regret especially for the loss of someone or something loved b : resultant unhappy or unpleasant state <to his
    sorrow he lost his temper>
    2 : a cause of grief or sadness
    3 : a display of grief or sadness
    synonyms SORROW, GRIEF, ANGUISH, WOE, REGRET mean distress of mind. SORROW implies a sense of loss or a sense of guilt and remorse <a family united in
    sorrow upon the patriarch's death>. GRIEF implies poignant sorrow for an immediate cause <the inexpressible grief of the bereaved parents>. ANGUISH suggests torturing grief or dread <the anguish felt by the parents of the kidnapped child>. WOE is deep or inconsolable grief or misery <cries of woe echoed throughout the bombed city>. REGRET implies pain caused by deep disappointment, fruitless longing, or unavailing remorse <nagging regret for missed opportunities>.
    In many societies, clothing of certain colors has special meaning. For example, people in mourning may wear black clothes. But colors may have different meanings in various societies. A color worn for weddings in one country may be worn for funerals in another land. Most brides in the United States wear white gowns. But the people in India wear white clothes to mourn the dead.

Mourning is the expression of grief after a death. People in mourning may deny themselves amusement, avoid certain foods, or wear special clothing. Until the 1940's, Americans and Europeans wore black armbands and hung funeral wreaths on their doors while in mourning. Some societies regard a period of mourning as a time of being uncleanliness. They believe death contaminates the survivors and makes them taboo (set apart as cursed or sacred).

The funeral may include prayers, hymns and other music, and speeches called eulogies that recall and praise the dead person. In the United States, many funeral services take place at a funeral home with the embalmed body on display. After the service, a special vehicle called a hearse carries it in a procession to the cemetery or crematory. A final brief ceremony is held before the body is buried, or cremated in a special furnace. After many funerals, the mourners return with the bereaved family to their house and share food. Later, a tombstone or other monument is erected to record the dead person's life and mark the place of burial.

Funeral customs are special ceremonies performed after a person dies. Throughout history, humankind has developed such customs to express grief, comfort the living, and honor the dead.

Jews observe special rituals in connection with death. Burial takes place as soon as possible, in most cases within a day after a death. After the funeral, the family enters a seven-day period of deep mourning called Shiva. The mourners recite the Kaddish, a prayer that praises God but does not mention death. On each anniversary of the death, the relatives observe a memorial called a yahrzeit, reciting the Kaddish and lighting a candle in memory of the person.

Source for the above: The World Book Encyclopedia
    ~~In Messiah,
    Vickilynn

Shalom Debra,

A lot of the posts came from this website. This is an EXCELLENT website, with LOTS of great info, Scripture and practical helps.

http://www.annieshomepage.com/copetext.html
    ~~In Messiah,
    Vickilynn

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Debra R View Post
    I had wanted to find out what the bible says about mourning and how long they mourned for their loved ones who had died. I feel as if I will mourn forever for our Nathan. It still hurts very badly.
    Hi Debra,
    There's a whole heap of useful stuff that has been given you above. But I want to share something from my personal life that makes me relate so much to the cries from your heart.
    My wife and I had been married for three years when our second child, a daughter was born. Alison was her name and she lived a very short life - she passed into the presence of the Lord when she was eight years old. I was filled with so much anger towards God.... I remember one night walking around in our very large back garden, and raising my voice to God in protest at his taking our little girl away from us. But God is so loving and gracious he seemed to understand my anguish and instead of striking me with a lightning bolt (which I kind of expected!), he gave me a wonderful peace and a miracle of acceptance of her life in heaven with him.
    Can you guess when that was? It was in the year 1962 - yes, 44 years ago this very month. And my heart still aches... there is an empty spot there. But with it, there is a gentle acceptance of the best will of God for Alison so that I and my wife will each shed a quiet tear as we remember her every year on her birthday, her date of death and at Christmas times. There is a sadness in us both at those times but a real peace of Jesus so that we do not live ur lives in heartbroken style but with an eagerness for that day when we shall be joined with her in the Lord's presence.
    I will not seek to give you advice about your mourning for Nathan, that would be presumptuous of me, However I am praying that from my own story and our loss of our dear daughter you will find your own consolation and way of accepting the ways of our Lord God.
    Wiht love in Jesus,
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    Debra, there has been so much shared here, a lot of things worth reading and listening to the Lord to speak on. I pray that you do find increasing peace as you travel along in this life, holding to that day you will see Nathaniel and our Savior together.
    Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
    Not second or third, but first.
    Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
    when He is the source of all hope,
    when His love is received and freely given,
    holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
    will all other things be added unto to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Vickilynn View Post
    Shalom Dear Sister,

I have much to say, but this says it so succinctly.
    Thank you dear sister for all your postings .
    I will read and think on them awhile.

Revelation 21:4) And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away."

Quote Originally Posted by slightlypuzzled View Post
    It will take you awhile to get over it. It was all intense for you, and you were with him for so long. Just let Him lead you....you will always have a soft place in your heart for Nathan, and that is a good thing.
    Thank you .

I miss him so terribly. I loved him so much. He was so sweet and precious.
    Here lately, all I want to do is cry. When Caleb passed away it seemed to make it all even harder.

How are you doing? I hope things will get better for you too. Love you dear brother .

Hey, maybe sometime when Ken and his family come down you can visit us too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pastor Dennis View Post
    Hi Debra,
    There's a whole heap of useful stuff that has been given you above. But I want to share something from my personal life that makes me relate so much to the cries from your heart.
    My wife and I had been married for three years when our second child, a daughter was born. Alison was her name and she lived a very short life - she passed into the presence of the Lord when she was eight years old. I was filled with so much anger towards God.... I remember one night walking around in our very large back garden, and raising my voice to God in protest at his taking our little girl away from us. But God is so loving and gracious he seemed to understand my anguish and instead of striking me with a lightning bolt (which I kind of expected!), he gave me a wonderful peace and a miracle of acceptance of her life in heaven with him.
    Can you guess when that was? It was in the year 1962 - yes, 44 years ago this very month. And my heart still aches... there is an empty spot there. But with it, there is a gentle acceptance of the best will of God for Alison so that I and my wife will each shed a quiet tear as we remember her every year on her birthday, her date of death and at Christmas times. There is a sadness in us both at those times but a real peace of Jesus so that we do not live ur lives in heartbroken style but with an eagerness for that day when we shall be joined with her in the Lord's presence.
    I will not seek to give you advice about your mourning for Nathan, that would be presumptuous of me, However I am praying that from my own story and our loss of our dear daughter you will find your own consolation and way of accepting the ways of our Lord God.
    Wiht love in Jesus,
    Dennis
    Thank you Pastor Dennis . I am so sorry for your loss of your daughter. Can I ask what happened?

I struggle sometimes with anger too. I guess trying to understand why.
    I try to chase some thoughts away. Like, why did God allow it? I believe that our God is all powerful, there is nothing that can happen without His knowledge or without Him allowing it to happen. Actually my heart is just broken. A part of me realizes that Nathan is in the very best place he could be, with God. After being with God and enjoying the glorys of heaven it would be cruel to wish him back here you know what I mean? But I miss him. The worst part is the disease and what he suffered. That still hurts me. I'm still struggling with a lot of emotions. I guess I will just have to work through them. I am thankful God is with me and that He loves me. I could not make it if God were not with me. I would rather be dead.

Thank you all so much for your comfort.

God bless you.
    Love, Deb

Blog Entries
    Hi Deb,
    I'll PM you over the weekend. It's just that some things are easier to share in more detail on a one-to-one, like it would be if one was sitting down with a friend sharing a cup of tea or something...
    All blessings, Dennis

Hi Debra,
    I dont really know your situation but I do know what it is like to lose a loved one. In the beginning for me it was very hard and I had days where I thought I cannot go on like this. Eventually days got better but every once in awhile I still find myself crying and missing them very much so. Some say you will never get over it. For me I have to a degree..........if that makes sense. Big hug!

Thread Information