Thread: Biblical Verses To Help In Your Recovery

Blog Entries

Biblical Verses To Help In Your Recovery

An addiction is something that controls you, or as the dictionary puts it, "being enslaved to a habit or practice". Addictions come in many forms besides alcohol and drugs. Many people suffer from anxiety, depression, gambling, shopping, food/eating disorders, anger, finances - debt, grief, etc. They rob you of the peace God intended for you to have from the very beginning.

There are many reasons people suffer from addictions...pain, anger and fear being just a few. We feel that if we numb the pain, we will be ok, so we use temporary solutions such as alcohol, drugs, food, etc to mask our pain. The problem is when we do this, we end up feeling even worse than we did before, sending ourselves spiraling out of control.

There are times when we go through spiritual warfare, which can lead us down the path to addiction. We must combat this by wearing the full Armor Of God. In Ephesians 6:10-18 it states:

10Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. 12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.

When we take our pain and problems to God, he offers permanent solutions to our problems. All we have to do is have faith and believe this can happen which isn't always as easy as it sounds. Yet Christ says:

I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."
    Matt 17:20-21

A mustard seed is very small, so imagine how much can be done with much faith, allowing God to break the chains of addiction that binds you to this world! When we begin to face our problems and realize we are not in control and allow God to take back control of our lives, that is when healing and recovery begins. Recovery is a day to day process and God is ready to walk that road with you.

A good idea when struggling with anything is to seek out an accountability partner...someone you can call when you feel low and are feeling temptation hit you. Here are some tips to finding an accountability partner:

When looking for an accountability partner, let me give you a few things to look for:

1. Must always be the same gender
    2. Does their walk match their talk?
    3. Do they have a growing relationship with Jesus Christ?
    4. Do they show compassion, care and hope, but not pity?
    5. Are they a good listener?
    6. Are they strong enough to confront your denial or procrastination?
    7. Do they offer suggestions?
    8. Do they share their own current struggles with you?

An accountability partner will never trip you up in your recovery from your addiction. If anything, they will encourage you to face your situation and provide biblical scripture to back things up. They will listen and encourage, but not do the work for you.

Ecc 4:9-12
    9 Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work:

10 If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!

11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone?

12 Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
    Below are some verses to fall back on while on your road to recovery.

"Everything is permissible for me"—but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"—but I will not be mastered by anything.
    1 Corinthians 6:12
    Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows
    2 Cor 1:3-5
    What do you want me to do for you?" Jesus asked him. The blind man said, "Rabbi, I want to see.

"Go," said Jesus, "your faith has healed you." Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus along the road.
    Mark 10:51-52
    Do not love the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world. The world is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God lives forever.

1 John 2:15-17
    For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that has overcome the world- our faith. Who is the one who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.

1 John 5:4-5
    Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

James 4:7
    Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you? If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is sacred, and you are that temple.
    1 Cor 3:16-17
    Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.
    Matt 7:7-8
    I tell you the truth, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete.
    John 16:23-24
    A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life
    Galatians 6:7-8
    The fear of the Lord leads to life: Then one rests content, untouched by trouble. Proverbs 19:23

Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
    1 Peter 5:7
    When tempted, no one should say, `God is tempting me.’ For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.
    James 1:13-15

There was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, `My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.
    2 Corinthians 12:7-9
    Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.
    James 1:2-6
    No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

1 Cor 10:13
    Last edited by cheech; Jun 13th 2007 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Adding more info.

Blog Entries

How Long, O Lord...

How many times have we said this too ourselves when things were going badly...

"How Long, O Lord? How long must I go through these difficulties, this illness, this addiction?" "How long must I continue to be hurt? How long must I suffer?"

So many times we've uttered these words through our struggle with addictions or any problems we go through. It gets to the point we have no where else to turn and begin to wonder "What did I do to deserve this?" Sometimes we do cause our own problems when we resort to our addictive behaviors, but sometimes we don't...as when we fall ill. Sometimes problems go on for so long and seem so hopeless that we can hardly bear to ask God for more help.

I was reading a devotional this morning and in it came understanding regarding the "whys". It stated that we may never be able to answer the question "Why does God allow such bad things to happen to us", but we can begin to realize that we can learn and grow through them. It went on to talk about how a seed sprouts in the darkness of the earth and when you look at spiritual growth, it begins in the darkness of sickness, pain, loss and disappointment. In this life, suffering with never be eliminated, but Romans 8:28 states:

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

St. Augustine wrote: "Faith sometimes falters because He does not reward us immediately, but hold out, be steadfast, bear the delay and you have carried the cross." God is never a God of hopelessness. Even if God does not change the situation, He can change us.

No, we may not ever be completely healed of our addictions, meaning, we may always struggle here and there with them, we may not always be well physically, but with a renewing of the mind through Jesus Christ, we can learn how to deal with our day to day afflictions. We can find that inner peace that will make our struggles more bearable. We can only find this through our faith in Christ. God has a way of keeping us humble so we may see things through His eyes. If I had not been brought to my breaking point with unforgiveness issues, I would not have been able to look past the outer shell of a person to realize what I see on the outside isn't what's always on the inside. I renewed my mind the way Paul told us too in Romans 12:2:

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

We often remember Job and David in Psalms when we have difficulties. But we must also remember Peter when he saw Jesus walking on the water towards them in Matthew 14:22-33. When all was calm, Peter said "Lord, if it's you, tell me to come to you on the water." Jesus simply said "Come". With his eyes fixed only on Christ, Peter got out of the boat and walked confidently in faith towards Christ. But then the wind picked up and the waves came crashing around him, he became afraid, most likely removing his eyes from Christ and he began to sink, crying out "Lord, save me!" 31Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?" Then the wind died down.

How many times have we done this...had our eyes fixed on Christ when our struggles were low but as soon as the waves came crashing around us, we removed our eyes from Christ in fear and doubt and began to sink thinking "why is this happening to me? Lord, save me!". It is through the storms of life where we gather our strength from Christ because through each storm we face, our eyes remaining soley on Christ, we become stronger when we proceed through it to the end. Sometimes this takes only a short time, sometimes a while and sometimes through most of our lives with small breaks in between. But with faith in Christ, we never pass through the storms and struggles alone.

Isaiah 43:1-2 states:
    1 But now, this is what the LORD says—
    he who created you, O Jacob,
    he who formed you, O Israel:
    "Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
    I have summoned you by name; you are mine.

2 When you pass through the waters,
    I will be with you;
    and when you pass through the rivers,
    they will not sweep over you.
    When you walk through the fire,
    you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze.

This week, lets make it a point to keep our eyes fixed on Christ, even when the waves come crashing around us...never removing our gaze and never doubting Christ's ability to see us through to the end.

Have a blessed week

Live your life in such a
    way that, when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...

"Oh NO.... she's awake!"

Slug1: No, I have it so short I can't comb it to the side like before

cheechamia: ken...dear...honey...you have NO hair to comb on the side!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks girl....

In the dark painful days I am going through now, you just lit a candle......

Love you,
    Mieke
    Glorious Day
    Living He loved me
    Dying He saved me
    Buried He carried my sins far away
    Risen He justified
    Freely forever
    One day He's coming
    Oh Glorious Day!

Casting Crowns

Blog Entries
    My pleasure Mieke...anything I can do to keep that candle lit just let me know .

Live your life in such a
    way that, when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...

"Oh NO.... she's awake!"

Quote Originally Posted by cheech View Post
    Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
    It took my years to really grasp the meaning of this. God calls out to us to take an active roll in our healing. Every vice that we (together with God) root out in our lives must be replaced by Truth. It's like God is kneeling next to us in a garden and He has just helped us pull out some atrocious weed. He digs a hole and puts water into it and hands us a lush, green plant to drop in and nurture. That's out part. Filling that hole with God's Word. And nurturing it with relationships with other Believers.

Blog Entries
    I totally agree. We have to take part in this. God won't do it all for us. I learned this the hard way and when I finally relented and reached up my hand for help, he grabbed it and proceeded to slowly pull me out of my deep hole of depression. He knew my mind was ready to be renewed. Before that though, I wasn't ready nor willing to change myself, so he waited until I was. We worked together to heal me not separately. I had to do my part though. A great lesson learned and not forgotten.

Live your life in such a

"Oh NO.... she's awake!"

Blog Entries
    Hi Vyse It takes 7 days from when you join, over 10 posts, and positive rep points (just repped ya) to be able to PM.

Live your life in such a

"Oh NO.... she's awake!"

Thumbsup Very nice

Brother Cheech,
    A fine Job, you have done here.
    It is the tough times when many of us become weakened, the darkness loves that time. Seeking to cloak us from the true light.
    The flesh is weak, but the soul strong, provided it is guarded most closely
    when the skin becomes thin.

Blog Entries
    Thank you RevGwinn...if there's one thing I"ve learned, it's patient endurance...endure all things patiently. Hard to do but definitely not impossible.

Your sister in Christ...cheech

Live your life in such a

"Oh NO.... she's awake!"

Thread Information