cure-real
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A question

A question

I have a question for all of the people who like to study theology in some form or fashion.

Why do you study theology?

Yeah, i'm curious myself. I study the Word, which leads me to the right Faith and all that needs to go along with that. Why study anything else ?
    Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
    2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
    If it's not done out of unselfish love, then it's hardly righteous.
    http://disciple2yeshua.wordpress.com/

It's fascinating. I study theology, because in the 2000 year history of Christianity there have been some amazing Bible scholars and religious thinkers. Their wisdom is a treasure for all of us.
    Mary said, "Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word." Luke 1:38

Blog Entries
    For myself for understanding of scripture, directive toward sanctification and righteousness out of love and desire to know the character of the One who gave His life so that I may have life.

Thing is, the more I know the more I can't keep it to myself. The more I have to do and share.
    Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
    Not second or third, but first.
    Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
    when He is the source of all hope,
    when His love is received and freely given,
    holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
    will all other things be added unto to you.

To know God and to help others know Him.
    WDJD - what DID Jesus do

He died on a cross for our sin and rose from the dead,
    securing, for all who believe, eternal life and forgiveness of sin

Toolman

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Are you asking why folk study the Word of God? or why they get involved in what is taught at theological colleges? in my experience they are 2 different things.

punk Guest
    Personally, I'm always looking for new and different ways to look at things (be it the world around me or a text). I don't see any reason to assume the way I've looked at things up to now is the correct one, or even any reason to assume the way the majority of peole look at something (and have looked at it for centuries) is the right one.

So I read theology to find new ways to look at biblical passages, and maybe find that the way I've read it the past is totally wrong.

I certainly don't find much interest in reading things that I assume I'm already largely going to agree with.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolman View Post
    I'll second that

Cause I was immature in my thinking, reasoning that "If the bible said to do it, then Iím just going to do it," figuring I was being obedient, not understanding what the sum of Godís word meant. There was a whole lotta doin' and not much growin' . It didn't profit much.

Quote Originally Posted by punk
    Personally, I'm always looking for new and different ways to look at things (be it the world around me or a text). I don't see any reason to assume the way I've looked at things up to now is the correct one, or even any reason to assume the way the majority of peole look at something (and have looked at it for centuries) is the right one.
    Agreed, not a bad thing, but i tend to go to scripture first to make sure i'm certain i understand what God is saying before i read Commentaries or theological pieces. Then i only do so for further clarification and maybe deeper understanding.
    However, i remain very openminded to multiple applications to the Word.

Quote Originally Posted by punk
    So I read theology to find new ways to look at biblical passages, and maybe find that the way I've read it the past is totally wrong.
    I'm curious, how do determine that what you've read in the past is totally wrong ?
    Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
    2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
    If it's not done out of unselfish love, then it's hardly righteous.
    http://disciple2yeshua.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Frances View Post
    Are you asking why folk study the Word of God? or why they get involved in what is taught at theological colleges? in my experience they are 2 different things.
    I am referring to the whole pursuit of theology for a Christian, which generally includes both.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolman View Post
    By knowing God, what do you mean? And how does it help you to know God?

Quote Originally Posted by threebigrocks View Post
    For myself for understanding of scripture, directive toward sanctification and righteousness out of love and desire to know the character of the One who gave His life so that I may have life.

Thing is, the more I know the more I can't keep it to myself. The more I have to do and share.
    So do you pursue theology for holiness or do you mean something else? And is your pursuit of theology driven for oneself or for others as well? You said you can't keep it to yourself, but is it naturally a burden you take upon to help others?

Quote Originally Posted by punk View Post

I certainly don't find much interest in reading things that I assume I'm already largely going to agree with.
    And why do you continue to search for the right understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    I have a question for all of the people who like to study theology in some form or fashion.

As Lossky said,
    "Christian theology is always in the last resort a means: a unity of knowledge subserving an end which transcends all knowledge. This ultimate end is union with God."

Thread Information