cure-real
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Depart From Me Ye That Work Iniquity

Colossians 3:17 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Righton View Post
    Jesus spent more time discussing hypocrisy than any other sin. He said, "There he will share the fate of the hypocrites."

You see, hypocrisy is a very special sin. It is the ultimate in rebellion. The hypocrite has built his own artificial wall of protection around himself. "Ah, nothing will happen to me! I've been saved! My salvation is complete! I have all I need!" Knowing deep down he will be condemned, he is fastidious in keeping himself from harboring these deep, dark thoughts. He remains vigilant, busy, busy as a bee. He "helps others", he makes himself a martyr. He secretly loves the world's delights but he tells himself, "No! I am worthy! I am honest! I am true! I am saved!" He then goes out and "helps people". He prays! And he worships in the fellowship of others! "Hey, can't y'all see me? I'm pure and holy! I worship God! I pray with you! How ya doin', God? Nice seein' ya here!"

And yet he is a stranger to God. The LORD does not know him. All the hypocrite knows is, he belongs to God, this stranger that HE does not know either. The hypocrite alone has built his own world! His own utopia! His own bubble! Unconcerned that he may hurt others in the way, he simply lives. He craves! He is jealous! Deep inside, he is a raging lion! But he is so good at putting on a smiley face in front of everyone, he even deceives HIMSELF, and does not consider for the moment that his world is one created by his own hands. Uncontent to live in God's world, he rejects it and forms his own creation... an idol made by his own hands! Every time he brushes his teeth or combs his hair, the guy on the other side of the mirror is smiling back.

See, people? I smile! I smile all the time! Can't you see my teeth?

Ah, but those with insight NEVER look at the teeth! They look at the eyes!

And you can tell the hypocrite in plain sight. He's the one with a reddish look, masking that he is a slave of sin. He's the one who smiles with his teeth, but not with his eyes.

He does not even know what he looks like, because he can't bear to look at a picture of himself. He may glimpse, but that is good enough.

Then someone walks into the life of the hypocrite, someone who is NOT a hypocrite! What does this hypocrite do? He trembles! He shakes! Something is not right with the world! He HATES with a passion this non-hypocrite! And the hypocrite will work with all his might to detroy this non-hypocrite! He will not rest until he does him in, in some form or another. The hypocrite makes himself an enemy of The LORD, by going after the true believers he happens to find. They are the enemy!

When all the while, the hypocrite has made himself his own worst enemy! For while he was busy building his artificial bubble, he forgot--

forgot to check his mirror while he was building it. Forgot to look into his eyes, into his soul, to understand just WHY he spent so much time building this bubble! And next thing you know, he dies! His bubble gone, he goes before the Maker, fully expecting to find his Heavenly Home!

When all at once, the Savior shows up to judge him. "I never knew you!" He cries, and then at that moment...

The Savior holds up...

a mirror!

The hypocrite screams in agony...

an agony that is forever silenced!

-----------------------------------------------------

How do I know all this?

Easy. I pictured a relative-by-marriage of mine the entire time. Someone whose soul I have peered into myself -- and found it lacking.

Scary stuff. Pay attention, people, and make sure you do not share the fate of the hypocrites!
    This is a great post...I really helps me to realize how I can be hypocritical and how sometimes I can let the focus shift from God to glorifying myself.

It is something I definitely need to work on...Aren't we all sinners though?? Doesn't EVERYONE do this to a certain degree?

I'm not trying to justify it, I just don't think you can lump all the people Jesus is condemning into the category of people who have EVER been hypocritical at one time or another.

Colossians 3:17 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Frances View Post
    I suggest it may also be any member of any congregation who thinks they a 'better Christian' or even a better person than anyone else.

Have you honestly never felt this way towards another person?? Not that it's a good thing, but I've ran across some GREAT Christians, and not one has ever denied feeling this way towards others at some point...It is certainly a bad thing to do and we all need to work on it, but I don't think that you go to hell for doing that.

I definitely don't think those are the people that Jesus is referring to in those verses.

Teitzy said:

John simply defines "iniquity" (lawlessness) as "sin" (1 John 3:4). John then compares thoese who "practice lawlessness" (unbelievers) with thoese who "practice righteousness" (believers). In Matt. 7:20 Jesus says, "by their fruits you will know them", and when one examines the lifestyle of false teachers it becomes apprarent that they are depraved and unholy. Like the Pharisees, outwardly & publically they appear squeakly clean but inwardly and privately they are full of "all uncleaness."
    Teitzy is right.

Matt. 7:23 gives us the scene, it is talks about Judgment Day. All inidividuals shall face the judgment seat of Christ.

Many religions do works for the Lord. I am sure that they do follow scaraments, Ten Commandments, Mosaic Laws, etc. They are trying to earn their own good works to enter heaven.

But, Christ shall saying to them, they shall depart from Him, go into everlasting fire, because of their wicked. Christ's emphasis to us that we ought to repent our sins, and command us to life clean and holy.

Myself used to believe in security salvation for long time. Now, I realized the Bible shows us there are so overhwhelmed of these are conditional salvation.

God does interesting us to do and follow His commandments, but, he expecting us as confession people. God expects us to confess our sins faithfully, so, He will forgive us our sins. OR, if we do not confess our sins, then He would not forgive us. - 1 John 1:9.

Of course, there are lot of hyprocrites in the churches today, either congregation or pastors, they are hyprocrites, because of thier iniquities, that they not yet confess their sins to God. God knows in their hearts.

Our good works mean worthless, unless if we confess our sins to Christ faithfully. We ought to walk in the light, so, we can continue our works and obey His commandments same time. We cannot serve two masters at the same time, that mean, we cannot continue sinning while do good works or serve the Lord same time. That why He hates hyprocrite. Lot of hyprocrites are in the hell, because of without confess their sins to Christ.

Bible commands us to confess our sins to Christ faithfully, to keep our life clean, and remain walk in the light all the times. If we continue in sinning without confess, and remain in the dark, then we are on the way to destruction-hell.

Many claim, they know Christ, but remain in dark, they are LIARS - 1 John 1:6. See? It mentioned of hyprocrites. God hate hyprocrites. NO hyprocrites are in New Jerusalem, only honest people are in New Jerusalem, because they walk in the light while keep the commandments same time (1 John 2:3).

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

cwb Guest

grace versus works

I believe that Matthew 7:22 is key in understanding what Jesus said in Matthew 7:23.

verse 22
    Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

verse 23
    And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Notice the emphasis of those speaking in verse 22. Have we not prophesied? , have we not done many wodenderful works. When speaking to the lord on theat day, they are trying to glorify their own works. Rather than saying, "lord, look at all the great things we have done.", they should be saying on that day, "Lord, Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! for all the great and wonderful things you have done for me." Maybe if they would say thank you instead, the Lord would say to them "you're welcome!"

cwb,

i think that's not quite a match either as plausible that would sound otherwise.

The verses i'm about to post start the whole context of this:

Mat 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
    Mat 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

Then a little bit about good trees and bad trees:

Mat 7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
    Mat 7:18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
    Mat 7:19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

Then back on topic:

Mat 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
    Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
    Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
    Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

So it's really about false prophets, no doubt about it. And the word prophet isn't just for those that tell of future events, but the same word is used for those that teach scripture.
    That's why i don't think it's much about pride either.

I am convinced it's plainly about those that teach false doctrine, and those that follow it. They come in sheeps clothing, appearing to be pure and innocent like a lamb, but really are wolves that will take you to the same place they will go.
    Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
    2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
    If it's not done out of unselfish love, then it's hardly righteous.
    http://disciple2yeshua.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cwb View Post
    I believe that Matthew 7:22 is key in understanding what Jesus said in Matthew 7:23.

verse 22
    Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

verse 23
    And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Notice the emphasis of those speaking in verse 22. Have we not prophesied? , have we not done many wodenderful works. When speaking to the lord on theat day, they are trying to glorify their own works. Rather than saying, "lord, look at all the great things we have done.", they should be saying on that day, "Lord, Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! for all the great and wonderful things you have done for me." Maybe if they would say thank you instead, the Lord would say to them "you're welcome!"
    Yes their emphasis is certainly on self but at this point in time it wouldn't have mattered what they had said since they were never saved to begin with.

Cheers
    Leigh

jiggyfly Guest
    The greek word is adikia and it means unrighteousness or wrong or unjust.

Taken in context, Jesus said they were workers of unrighteousness and yet they were doing good things in His name. They were not abiding in Him. Keeping or should I say trying to keep the Law without abiding in Christ is unrighteousness and if you abide in Him you are righteous because He is our righteousness. Once someone has come to Christ, to try and do things to make them more righteous or add to their stature is a slap in the face to Christ. In the time of the old covenant the law was the teacher but in the new covenant HolySpirit is the teacher. You can not agree with both, to say that some parts of the old covenant are still needed is to say that you have found the new covenant lacking and therefore disagreeing with it. I agree with some of the posts in that the scriptures in the OP has everything to do with the religous works of man vrs. Christ's works in and through us. So these workers of iniquity are those who did not deny self and take up their cross.

Matt 7:23 "And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

Quote Originally Posted by diffangle View Post
    Imo, He's talking about those who transgress the Torah/Law/Instruction willingly and choose not to obey it.
    I nearly spewed my coffee reading that.

Do you realize what you are saying?

Jesus said "Depart from me you that 'transgress the Torah/Law'

Is it not a fact, that you law keepers say your 'keeping of the law isnt a 'salvation issue' ? Yet, the the words "depart from me" certainly dont translate into 'you are saved' by any stretch of the imagination.

So which is it - the grace thru faith that Jesus preached, or grace thru faith and the law that you preach? You cant have salvation your way, because grace can only begin where the requirements of the law ends. Paul said if you are trying to add law to grace, then you dont know what the law requires of you. I will go further and say, you dont know the meaning of grace.

Here you have Jesus saying, you are lost if you dont keep the Torah Law...and yet by His own oft repeated words thru out the gospels (which the reader does`nt have to know Greek or own a lexicon to understand the simplicity of) Jesus says "by grace are you saved thru faith in Him."

You preachers of the law, keep trying to add knowledge of the Torah, and keeping of the law, to the gift of Gods grace, and in doing so you take the simplicity of the gospel and make it so comlicated, one would have to be educated in Hebraic Law to have God say "I know you."

I agree with the OP, PRIDE is the evil that keeps men and women, especially those this passage is referring to, who 'profess to know God' from accepting the simple gift of Gods grace.

Matt 7:12 Therefore, whatever you want people to do for you, do the same for them, for this is the Law and the Prophets...
    Then I will tell them [those graceless 'doers', which Christ just described] plainly, 'I never knew you. Get away from me, you evildoers!'
    The many miles of my journey have proved my Lord True.
    ~
    Born FREE as a Mustang - no saddles, lassos, stalls or fences. (Gal 5:1)

You will never rope the wind cowboy. (John 3:8)

aka Coconut @ Talk Jesus

jiggyfly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithwalker View Post
    Matt 7:23 "And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

I nearly spewed my coffee reading that.

Do you realize what you are saying?

Jesus said "Depart from me you that 'transgress the Torah/Law'

Is it not a fact, that you law keepers say your 'keeping of the law isnt a 'salvation issue' ? Yet, the the words "depart from me" certainly dont translate into 'you are saved' by any stretch of the imagination.

So which is it - the grace thru faith that Jesus preached, or grace thru faith and the law that you preach? You cant have salvation your way, because grace can only begin where the requirements of the law ends. Paul said if you are trying to add law to grace, then you dont know what the law requires of you. I will go further and say, you dont know the meaning of grace.

Here you have Jesus saying, you are lost if you dont keep the Torah Law...and yet by His own oft repeated words thru out the gospels (which the reader does`nt have to know Greek or own a lexicon to understand the simplicity of) Jesus says "by grace are you saved thru faith in Him."

You preachers of the law, keep trying to add knowledge of the Torah, and keeping of the law, to the gift of Gods grace, and in doing so you take the simplicity of the gospel and make it so comlicated, one would have to be educated in Hebraic Law to have God say "I know you."

I agree with the OP, PRIDE is the evil that keeps men and women, especially those this passage is referring to, who 'profess to know God' from accepting the simple gift of Gods grace.

Matt 7:12 Therefore, whatever you want people to do for you, do the same for them, for this is the Law and the Prophets...
    Then I will tell them [those graceless 'doers', which Christ just described] plainly, 'I never knew you. Get away from me, you evildoers!'
    Great post Faithwalker, thank you.

A righteous man regards the life of his animal Pro. 12:10
    to keep the Law without abiding in Christ is unrighteousness and if you abide in Him you are righteous because He is our righteousness.
    The Word/Law is not seperate from Him, He IS the Word. They're One in the Same. He was Torah observant b/c He IS the Word in the flesh. What do you believe "abiding in Him" means? Does it mean believe in Him but have disdain for His Word? How do those match up?

John 1

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God.

14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

You can not agree with both, to say that some parts of the old covenant are still needed is to say that you have found the new covenant lacking and therefore disagreeing with it.
    You can agree with both. Yahushua reiterated the Torah since, once again, He is the Torah in the flesh. When did He break Torah?

Quote Originally Posted by Faithwalker
    1) please show me above mentioned scripture
    2) Grace is extended to us freely, obedience out of love to our Master follows naturally.

Rom 2:13 For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who will be justified.
    Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
    2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.

jiggyfly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by diffangle View Post
    The Word/Law is not seperate from Him, He IS the Word. They're One in the Same. He was Torah observant b/c He IS the Word in the flesh. What do you believe "abiding in Him" means? Does it mean believe in Him but have disdain for His Word? How do those match up?

John 1

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God.

14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

You can agree with both. Yahushua reiterated the Torah since, once again, He is the Torah in the flesh. When did He break Torah?
    This is your opinion of which God's word nor I agree with. Why do you think God instituted a New Covenant??? They do not mix and like I said earlier, anyone who thinks that we need any part of the old Covenant today is disrepecting Christ, period. FYI, Jesus is no longer in the flesh. If he is the torah then He must be the sabboth also. So how do you keep Yeshua holy???

Quote Originally Posted by Jesusinmyheart View Post
    1) please show me above mentioned scripture
    2) Grace is extended to us freely, obedience out of love to our Master follows naturally.

Rom 2:13 For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who will be justified.
    I`m sure you are familiar with the scripture.

Gal 4:21 Tell me, those of you who want to live under the law: Are you really listening to what the law says?

Christ never asked us to obey the OT law, so saying "we obey out of love to our master" just sounds real commendable, but doesnt add any credibility to anyone trying to add to Christs finished work on the cross with their own.

What law is Paul referring too in Romans 2:13?
    Certianly not the OT law, unless this apostle would contradict himself all over the place, as you preachers of the law would have him do.

Paul said he was "blameless" regarding the keeping of the OT law,
    and that religeous zealot thought he had something to boast about, but amazingly enough, it took God blinding him to open his eyes to the perfect law of liberty to be found in Christ.
    To wit we find Luke (if thats who wrote Acts - who was with Paul) saying: "Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment"
    The many miles of my journey have proved my Lord True.
    ~
    Born FREE as a Mustang - no saddles, lassos, stalls or fences. (Gal 5:1)

You will never rope the wind cowboy. (John 3:8)

aka Coconut @ Talk Jesus

You know Faithwalker,

Even if i showd you truth of scripture up and down the whole book you would refuse to see it, as evidenced by the title of calling us "lawkeepers"

That's ok though, i'd rather carry that title then any other. However i do not agree with the negative twist you're trying to give it.

I obviosuly do not agree with the way you read Galatians, and therefore i'll refrain from going round and round with you, as it won't do anyone any good. So you can say you won....

I rest in the peace that i know my way quite well as God saw it fit to reveal the narrow path to me.

A righteous man regards the life of his animal Pro. 12:10
    This is your opinion of which God's word nor I agree with. Why do you think God instituted a New Covenant??? They do not mix and like I said earlier, anyone who thinks that we need any part of the old Covenant today is disrepecting Christ, period. FYI, Jesus is no longer in the flesh. If he is the torah then He must be the sabboth also. So how do you keep Yeshua holy???
    Before I address your questions, I need to know if you're appraoching me in strife? If so, then it is not a fruit of the Spirit and wouldn't be beneficial for you or the rest of the Body to continue.

I`m sure you are familiar with the scripture.

Gal 4:21 Tell me, those of you who want to live under the law: Are you really listening to what the law says?
    Are you familiar with the oral law verses the Written Law?

Christ never asked us to obey the OT law, so saying "we obey out of love to our master" just sounds real commendable, but doesnt add any credibility to anyone trying to add to Christs finished work on the cross with their own.
    What did Yahushua mean when He said, "Think not that I am come to destroy the Law, or the Prophets... For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the Law" ?

What law is Paul referring too in Romans 2:13?
    Certianly not the OT law, unless this apostle would contradict himself all over the place, as you preachers of the law would have him do.
    First of all, why all the hostility towards fellow believer's? Second, Paul didn't preach against the Written Law.

Paul said he was "blameless" regarding the keeping of the OT law, and that religeous zealot thought he had something to boast about, but amazingly enough, it took God blinding him to open his eyes to the perfect law of liberty to be found in Christ.
    Paul was a Pharisee and he was persecuting believer's in Messiah... which hardly makes him Torah observant prior to his experience on the road to Damascus. The Pharisees were Edomites, iow... descendants of Esau and Ishmael... Ishmael, the son of the bondwoman and from Arabia... who later became part of Jewry.

To wit we find Luke (if thats who wrote Acts - who was with Paul) saying: "Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment"
    Oral law involved here... Pharisaic teachings.

Thread Information