cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the difference between Sin vs Iniquity vs Transgression?

What's the difference between Sin vs Iniquity vs Transgression?

Psa 51:1 To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet came unto him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba. Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.
    Psa 51:2 Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.
    Psa 51:3 For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.
    Psa 51:4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.
    Psa 51:5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.

It seems there is a difference between all 3.
    1. Sin
    2. Iniquity
    3. Transgression

Can someone break down all 3? A little confused.

There's no difference between them. It's just three different words for the same thing.

Like if I were to say, "I live on the planet. The earth is my home." Earth and Planet are different words, but they're intended to mean the same thing. Like "mom" and "mother" and "mama." Different words, same thing.

See?

Nah that can't be ... each word has a different meaning ... even in the Hebrew .. they are different ..

Iniquity :
    1. trouble, wickedness, sorrow
    2. trouble, sorrow
    3. idolatry
    4. trouble of iniquity, wickedness
    Transgression :
    1. transgression, rebellion
        1. transgression (against individuals)
        2. transgression (nation against nation)
        3. transgression (against God) 1a
      1. in general 1a
      2. as recognised by sinner 1a
      3. as God deals with it 1a
      4. as God forgives
        1. guilt of transgression
        2. punishment for transgression
        3. offering for transgression
    Sin :
    1. guilt, offense, guiltiness
    2. offense, trespass, fault
    3. guilt, guiltiness
    4. compensation (for offense)
    5. trespass offering, guilt offering
    Trespass :
    1. unfaithful or treacherous act, trespass
    2. against man
    3. against God
    They're intended to mean the same thing. Just because the exact definition varies, in the context in which you are reading them from (and from almost all contexts within the Bible), they are the same thing.

I went back and reread it .. I think "Iniquity" comes from birth .. passed on from Mother and Father ... generation curse ...

Psa 51:5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.

Shapen in iniquity is inside the mothers womb. Then it mentions in "sin" did my mother conceive me.

You have being impregnanted then being born.

Here's another scripture ..

Psa 32:5 I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah.

You're being too analytical.

Next Level,

I commend you for seeking out the small nuances of scriptures.
    There is indeed a difference between the three:
    While all three constitute a different level of disobedience, they do carry different levels of malice.

Let me explain what i have learned:

There are 3 different types listed in the Torah:
    Cattah (Sin), Pesha (Trespass), and Avon (Iniquity)

Sin
    H2398
    חטא
    châṭâ'
    BDB Definition:
    1) to sin, miss, miss the way, go wrong, incur guilt, forfeit, purify from uncleanness
    1a) (Qal)
    1a1) to miss
    1a2) to sin, miss the goal or path of right and duty
    1a3) to incur guilt, incur penalty by sin, forfeit
    1b) (Piel)
    1b1) to bear loss
    1b2) to make a sin-offering
    1b3) to purify from sin
    1b4) to purify from uncleanness
    1c) (Hiphil)
    1c1) to miss the mark
    1c2) to induce to sin, cause to sin
    1c3) to bring into guilt or condemnation or punishment
    1d) (Hithpael)
    1d1) to miss oneself, lose oneself, wander from the way
    1d2) to purify oneself from uncleanness
    Part of Speech: verb
    A Related Word by BDB/Strong’s Number: a primitive root
    Same Word by TWOT Number: 638

Trespass
    H6588
    פּשׁע
    pesha‛
    BDB Definition:
    1) transgression, rebellion
    1a1) transgression (against individuals)
    1a2) transgression (nation against nation)
    1a3) transgression (against God)
    1a3a) in general
    1a3b) as recognised by sinner
    1a3c) as God deals with it
    1a3d) as God forgives
    1a4) guilt of transgression
    1a5) punishment for transgression
    1a6) offering for transgression
    Part of Speech: noun masculine
    A Related Word by BDB/Strong’s Number: from H6586
    Same Word by TWOT Number: 1846a

Iniquity
    H5771
    עוון / עון
    ‛âvôn
    BDB Definition:
    1) perversity, depravity, iniquity, guilt or punishment of iniquity
    1a) iniquity
    1b) guilt of iniquity, guilt (as great), guilt (of condition)
    1c) consequence of or punishment for iniquity
    Part of Speech: noun masculine
    A Related Word by BDB/Strong’s Number: from H5753
    Same Word by TWOT Number: 1577a

Chatah:is a failure to live up to expectations. A failure to fulfill one’s duty. Missing the standard of God. Failing to observe His requirements for holy living.
    It is considered a mistake done because of weakness, or ignorance.

Pesha: is a refusal to accept or perform the expectations of God. It is when one knows what is right and just refuses to do it or accept it. This is what we would call “rebellious” sin. Often the word trespass is used to describe pesha.

Avon: is Hebrew word describing rebellion that is twisted. Disobeying God due to thinking that is crooked or perverse. The word “iniquity” is used to describe avon in the English.

One can see therefore that while all is sin, there are distinct differences, and i would imaginbe a loving and just Father would not treat each sin equally. Just like i would nopt punish my daughter for doing something wrong that she was not aware of it being wrong.

But, this should not give us license to justify our sins, but rather tread very carefully.

Shalom,
    Tanja
    Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
    2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
    If it's not done out of unselfish love, then it's hardly righteous.
    http://disciple2yeshua.wordpress.com/

That makes sense . but at the same time .. according to the scripture above .. it seems like that sin is passed on from the mothers womb .. it's a generational sin .. through the bloodline.

Quote Originally Posted by Next Level View Post
    That makes sense . but at the same time .. according to the scripture above .. it seems like that sin is passed on from the mothers womb .. it's a generational sin .. through the bloodline.
    Hence, the Fall? Sin is passed on through generation to generation. Not the specific sins of one generation on to the next, but the inherent nature of sin is passed on from one to the next. It's not as if one generation will suddenly be born without the ability to sin.

Next Level,
    the sin we are born in, the human flesh, which is faulty to begin with since the fall of man is the type of sin that we all have, and is defined as Chatah....

The other are those of which we consciously are aware of and partake of when we rebell.

Ok, let me give you an example:

You are born, and grow up, and as a young child see something you like. I don't think there is a single child out there that never took something without permission, cause he'she liked it. Same thing about the time a child burns his hand on a stove, even though we say "no", that curiosity takes hold, and it happens.

We all are guilty of Chatah, it's just something in our flesh we cannot get rid of until we learn.

In the course of time children learn to obey and learn we do set these rules so they don't get hurt. This is the fleshly fault we all are born with.

Now the other sins can be explained in the child that continues to disobey knowing that taking something without permission is stealing. This is obvious rebellion.

Now as for Avon would be in the example of stealing to take something without permision with the intent to sell what was aqquired unlawfully....

Shalom,
    Tanja
    Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
    2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
    If it's not done out of unselfish love, then it's hardly righteous.
    http://disciple2yeshua.wordpress.com/

I really believe it refers to bloodline. Yes through Adam all are born into sin ... but not everybody struggles with the same sin.

Example: You might have a problem with drinking .. it's in the blood .. passed on to your kids .. then they eventually might have a drinking problem.

Believe it or not .. even the doctor's believe in this .. you know the first thing they ask when you go for a check up?
    1. Did your mother or father have high blood.
    2. Did your mother of father have diabetes.
    3. Did your mother or father have such and such ..

They understand the bloodline and genetics ....

Jacob had a problem being a trickster .. or supplanter .. where did it come from... his Mother was like that .. his father in law laban was like that .. passed down through the bloodline

These are things we must study and look at ...

in short:

transgressions (revolt, rebellion)
    iniquity (perversity, moral evil)
    sin (offense)
    Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important.
    C. S. Lewis

There are key differences

In the Torah, the word for "sin" is chatta'ah (or sometimes chata').
    Chatta'ah almost always refers to an action. Chatta'ah is also very legalistic. Wrong actions would "count as sin".

The word "iniquity" ('avon in Hebrew) is used to express how a human heart is not holy--not set apart, not perfect, not godly.
    Chatta'ah is quite a different issue than holiness. Just because an ancient Israelite was in a state of no sin did not mean that his or her heart (temperament, disposition, habits) was godly.

Isaiah taught that iniquity(heart condition) puts a wall between a person and God, and sin(perverse actions) prevents prayers from being answered.

Jesus came to take away the sin (ham-ar-tee'-ah) (not iniquity) of the world. To date the human heart is still not perfect.

Actions under the Mosaic law were judged against the law, but Jesus came to fulfill/replace the law with grace. His sacrifice did not suddenly change anyone's disposition or heart's desire to do as they please, even today that is still true.

Jesus' purpose includes maturing us and purifyng our hearts. And guess what he uses? Fire! Read the scriptures if one does't come to mind(there are many). What changes our iniquity (or perverse actions)? Judgment and Fire change us. Judgement leads to change. Just like a parent judges a child's actions and through corrective measures (figuratively, Fire), so does God.

(1Pe 4:12) Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you(believers), as though some strange thing happened unto you

Actions are partially behavioral, so naturally the home environment is going to impact the development of the children, and they will live and act as they've been educated to do, intentionally or not. So in addition to any physcial blood transmission, there is certainly learned behavior.

Does this help you to understand the difference between the word concepts and how they relate to humanity?
    Last edited by VerticalReality; Oct 1st 2008 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Deleting Copyrighted Material

Since the question is what is SIN (without an "s" at the end), I don't think there is no difference between that and iniquity, really. SINS (with the "s") and transgressions I would say are identical to one another.

I had a minister explain this to me before. The distinction between "sin" and "sins"--that's where the distinction lies.

Thread Information