cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matthew 16:28 - What does this mean ?

Matthew 16:28 - What does this mean ?

What does the Bible verse found at Matthew 16:28 mean ?

I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom."

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    This best belongs in Bible Chat sooooooo. Here you are my friend. Continue on...
    Pray for Brent, Mieke, River of Life Mission Church, The McMinn County Tennessee Sheriff's Chaplaincy, the opportunity to witness, and if you run outta things to pray for, would you remember me too?
    1st John 3:14 We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.

Quote Originally Posted by wpshooter View Post

I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom."

Thanks.
    Jesus coming before the Ancient of Days to receive glory and power over all the nations of the world, i.e. his ascension to Heaven to the right hand of power.

I'll just give some scripture for people to consider and discuss regarding living, believing, not tasting death... because Jesus tasted death for every man and rose again.

John 11:26
    And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

As a thought, Jesus told these people (before He ascended) that His kingdom would come in power. (This, in part, happened on the Day of Pentecost - and many of those He spoke to were still living on that day.)

Mark 9:1And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.

Luke 9:27But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.

John 8:52Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death.

Hebrews 2:9
    But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

God bless,

js

Thanks.
    Some standing here - meaning Peter, James & John; (Mt 17:1)

Son of Man coming in his kingdom - the transfiguration (Mt 17:2)

Thanks.
    Greetings wpshooter,

I believe this is saying that Christ ushered in the kingdom by His coming, and that kingdom fully came when Christ resurrected from the dead. Not saying His eternal kingdom was complete at that time, but His kingdom had indeed come. So what Christ was saying is that some of those standing there would not die before Christ brought the kingdom into the world. Another thought on this is that His kingdom came in power of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost, so some of those standing there did not die, but saw His kingdom fully come in power.

Blessings,
    RW

Poor translation. The Greek translated as "never" is ou ... eis ton aiwna, "not in [into/unto] the age."

Rotherham's translation reads, "And, no one who liveth again and believeth on me, shall in anywise die, unto times age-abiding. Believest thou this?" (Joh 11:26).

In other words, those that followed Jesus were not to be destroyed in the age to come.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerW View Post
    Greetings wpshooter,

I believe this is saying that Christ ushered in the kingdom by His coming, and that kingdom fully came when Christ resurrected from the dead. Not saying His eternal kingdom was complete at that time, but His kingdom had indeed come. So what Christ was saying is that some of those standing there would not die before Christ brought the kingdom into the world. Another thought on this is that His kingdom came in power of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost, so some of those standing there did not die, but saw His kingdom fully come in power.

Blessings,
    RW
    Yes. I agree.

Jesus' statement has its roots in Daniel. One like the Son of Man was to ascend to the Ancient of Days and receive a Kingdom and give it to his Saints.

"I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him. And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed" (Dan 7:13-14).

"Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven" (Mat 26:64).

Thanks.
    Key words are "some" and "see". Spoken a short time before the Transfiguration where Jesus appeared as He will be (in Glory) with Elijah and Moses (viewed as resurrected, as they will be at that time) when Jesus Returns to the earth to reign.

Jesus regained the Glory which He had with the Father before His first Advent (John 17:5) when He Ascended to the Father after His Resurrection. The same Glory which he appeared to Paul with at his conversion (Acts 9:3, 27). Thus Jesus appeared to them just as He would be at that time in the future, at His Second Coming to reign.

The "some" of those disciples who were privy to this vision of the future were Peter, James and John.

Thanks.
    There were a good number standing there who did not taste of death until they saw the Son of Man coming in His Kingly power.'

1). He manifested His Kingly Power in the Transfiguration. But that was only a partial fulfilment.

2). He manifested His Kingly power when all authority was given to Him in Heaven and earth and He sent out His followers to make disciples of all nations (Matthew 28.18-20).

3). His Kingly power was especially manifested at Pentecost. 'Let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God had made him both Lord and Messiah, this Jesus Whom you crucified' (Acts 2.36)

As Jesus said to the Chief Priests, 'FROM NOW ON you will see the the Son of Man seated at the right hand of power and coming (to God's right hand) on the clouds of Heaven' (compare Daniel 7.13-14)

Matthew 9:24 He said unto them, Give place: for the maid is not dead, but sleepeth. And they laughed him to scorn. But when the people were put forth, he went in, and took her by the hand, and the maid arose.

1 Thessalonians 4:15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

God bless!

Quote Originally Posted by IBWatching View Post
    Key words are "some" and "see". Spoken a short time before the Transfiguration where Jesus appeared as He will be (in Glory) with Elijah and Moses (viewed as resurrected, as they will be at that time) when Jesus Returns to the earth to reign.

Jesus regained the Glory which He had with the Father before His first Advent (John 17:5) when He Ascended to the Father after His Resurrection. The same Glory which he appeared to Paul with at his conversion (Acts 9:3, 27). Thus Jesus appeared to them just as He would be at that time in the future, at His Second Coming to reign.

The "some" of those disciples who were privy to this vision of the future were Peter, James and John.
    Yes.

Also worth noting that Jesus didn't tell them it was a "vision" (Greek, means "vision") until their way down the mountain. This explains why Peter thought it was real. In Acts Peter got it wrong again; when the angel opened the prison Peter didn't move "because he thought it was a vision" but this time it was real.

God bless
    S.

Thanks.
    Perhaps you are on to something! I would encourage you to dig into His kingdom a little. Those standing there did see his kingdom coming. I hope that we all do as well.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Well, great question. I don't think I have an answer for you yet, but there hasn't been one to suffice me yet.

Christ said "some" when referring to His disciples. So "some" would not taste death, and "some" would. That would lead me to think that He was speaking about physical death. I think it's a safe bet that all His disciples standing there did physically die...so where do go from there?

I know the theology of preterism makes a big deal about this. I am not a preterist and believe preterism, full or partial, is incorrect. Is this where you are going?

Hi Gfw
    Quote Originally Posted by GodsfreeWill View Post
    Well, great question. I don't think I have an answer for you yet, but there hasn't been one to suffice me yet.

Christ said "some" when referring to His disciples. So "some" would not taste death, and "some" would. That would lead me to think that He was speaking about physical death. I think it's a safe bet that all His disciples standing there did physically die...so where do go from there?

I know the theology of preterism makes a big deal about this. I am not a preterist and believe preterism, full or partial, is incorrect. Is this where you are going?
    Personally I find preterism a bit of a mixed bag - it's clear from comparing the Olivet prophecy with Josephus that some, even many, of the details were fulfilled initially in AD70, but that's the case with most OT prophecies too - there was usually a dual or triple fulfillment. Anyway, I've heard the idea that the Matt16:28 reference is to John being alive till the kingdom "coming" in AD70, but there are two problems with that -
    1. - firstly the vision contains very visible reference to resurrection in showing Peter James and John a picture of Moses and Elijah "being there". Well Titus' army in AD70 came and went and didn't do anything for Moses and Elijah.
    2. - second Christ describes the vision differently in Mark 9:1 And he said to them, “Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God after it has come with power.” .... this is actually a vision of after the coming of the kingdom. AD70 can't be said to be after the coming "in power" of the kingdom.

The inadequacy of Titus' victory as a fulfillment in this respect is even more obvious in Luke 9: Luke 9:26 For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words, of him will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes in his glory and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels. 27 But I tell you truly, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God.” So what they got was exactly that - a window into the future.

I'm not denying that certain elements of AD70 were a type of the Last Day, but then the same can be said for the Flood and Sodom and 586BC, these are all types of Christ's coming and the judgment, but that's all. This vision itself is also a type - there is symbolic meaning in the Law (Moses) and the prophets (Elijah) being two witnesses to his decease, death, exit, exodus, (Luke 9:31) which Christ was about to accomplish at Jerusalem : Luke 24:44 Then he said to them, “These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you, that everything written about me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.”

God bless
    Steven

Thread Information