PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Primary Bible Version.

anglican-cat
Sep 12th 2007, 07:00 PM
OK. I am sure most if not all of you have a number of translations. This is your primary, the one you read the most and study the most or carry to Church or keep on the nightstand. For me I like the NASB95. Solid translation and good footnotes. Some call it stiff or wooden, I don't feel that so much in the 95 Update. But please, I would be delighted to hear what you use and perhaps a brief reason why. Grace and Peace.

roshkoch
Sep 12th 2007, 07:47 PM
To read for pleasure (READING THE BIBLE FOR PLEASURE!!! SCANDALOUS!!!) I use the Message:Remix paraphrase. It flows so poetically and is easy to read like a normal book.

For expositional study, the NKJV just does it so well for me. It's like a textbook Bible.

<3

anglican-cat
Sep 12th 2007, 07:53 PM
To read for pleasure (READING THE BIBLE FOR PLEASURE!!! SCANDALOUS!!!) I use the Message:Remix paraphrase. It flows so poetically and is easy to read like a normal book.

For expositional study, the NKJV just does it so well for me. It's like a textbook Bible.

<3
Actually all good choices within reason. I like the NKJV for a Majority Text reading. Remember the focus here is your primary Bible...everyone has one! If you think you don't look at all your Bibles and the one that looks loke it has been in a twister is probably it!;)

roshkoch
Sep 12th 2007, 07:56 PM
Actually all good choices within reason. I like the NKJV for a Majority Text reading. Remember the focus here is your primary Bible...everyone has one! If you think you don't look at all your Bibles and the one that looks loke it has been in a twister is probably it!;)

Primary would be too difficult to define. I guess I'd say I use the BibleGateway.com version (is that cheating?)

Brother Mark
Sep 12th 2007, 07:57 PM
Primary would be too difficult to define. I guess I'd say I use the BibleGateway.com version (is that cheating?)

LOL! I use PC Study bible more than I do my trusty old paper bible. Good one.

anglican-cat
Sep 12th 2007, 07:58 PM
LOL!!!! Yes that is cheating my Brother! But I to love BibleGateway!:spin:

Steven3
Sep 12th 2007, 08:22 PM
ESV. Partly because of technical matters like the Colorado Springs Guidelines, but moreso because reading it reads like real translators not seminarians did it. Used to use NIV but its agendas are so blatant difficult to respect it or feel warm about it.

Of course ultimately St. Jerome is the business... we should never have left the Vulgate... ;)

roshkoch
Sep 12th 2007, 08:24 PM
we should never have left the Vulgate... ;)

Vulgate sounds like such a dirty word. I still giggle when I read it in the footnotes.... hehehe

anglican-cat
Sep 12th 2007, 11:09 PM
Vulgate sounds like such a dirty word. I still giggle when I read it in the footnotes.... hehehe
For shame to say Vulgate in mixed company!:saint:

Debra R
Sep 12th 2007, 11:20 PM
:) The NASB is my primary Bible.

anglican-cat
Sep 12th 2007, 11:26 PM
:) The NASB is my primary Bible.
A fine choice!:)

ptlkarrie
Sep 12th 2007, 11:29 PM
I voted other. I am surprised that the KJV is not one of the choices on the poll! The KJV is like my life line. However I do study with other versions to get a clearer meaning. I mostly like NKJV and NASB. By the way I love the BiblegateWay.com as I can study from all of them with out having Bibles all over my desk.:)

anglican-cat
Sep 12th 2007, 11:38 PM
I voted other. I am surprised that the KJV is not one of the choices on the poll! The KJV is like my life line. However I do study with other versions to get a clearer meaning. I mostly like NKJV and NASB. By the way I love the BiblegateWay.com as I can study from all of them with out having Bibles all over my desk.:)
King James is there my friend! The real title of what is called the King James is The Authorized Version of The Holy Bible. I just place it as AV. Sorry! I should have put both I guess!:blush:

AlainaJ
Sep 13th 2007, 02:21 AM
The King James is what I read for myself.:)

FaithfulSheep
Sep 13th 2007, 02:26 AM
I prefer the NASB myself. :)

anglican-cat
Sep 13th 2007, 04:03 AM
I prefer the NASB myself. :)
So happy to see all the NASB people! Early in my walk I used an NIV then I "graduated" to the NASB a pre-95 update:), when they smoothed it (the text) out a little better in 95 I really liked it. I have a soft spot in "me" heart for the NASB!:cool:

SammeyDW
Sep 13th 2007, 04:38 AM
I prefer NASB myself also.
I would just recommend
that anyone using it check out the 1995 edition.
As it is the best edition of the NASB fixing alot of problems
the earlier editions had.

Steven3
Sep 13th 2007, 09:05 AM

Well, and you probably already know this, Vulgata does mean "common" in Latin, it's where "vulgar" comes from, but without the bad meaning we attach to "common" today:

Josh 6:27 So the LORD was with Joshua, and his fame spread throughout the land. (his name became vulgata throughout the land)

It's actually a very good translation - mainly because Latin and Greek are grammatically similar. Served God and man well for 10 centuries. :)
S

9Marksfan
Sep 13th 2007, 10:03 AM

I chose the NKJV but I thought the main thing about is it's the only modern version to be based primarily on the Textus Receptus? The Majority text was consulted but is only included (along with the Nestle-Aland/United Bible Societies text) as marginal reading only.

ESV may well become my favourite in time - delighted to see it included as a "contender" - but I use NKJV for personal study, take it to church and preach from it - so it wins hands down! :)

DSK
Sep 13th 2007, 11:17 AM
The literal word for word NASB is my favorite translation.

anglican-cat
Sep 13th 2007, 02:02 PM
I chose the NKJV but I thought the main thing about is it's the only modern version to be based primarily on the Textus Receptus? The Majority text was consulted but is only included (along with the Nestle-Aland/United Bible Societies text) as marginal reading only.

ESV may well become my favourite in time - delighted to see it included as a "contender" - but I use NKJV for personal study, take it to church and preach from it - so it wins hands down! :)
A lot of things I really like about the NKJV! If you are a NKJV fan Cambridge will be coming out with a very nice Pitt Minion Edition later this year!

slynx
Sep 15th 2007, 06:12 AM
I prefer NASB for both reading and meditation, but I use e-sword and all its translations for in-depth sudy.

anglican-cat
Sep 23rd 2007, 11:27 PM
OK, forgive me if I am breaking a forum rule (I looked I think this is in bounds) I am giving this a bump due to a number of new members since I made the original thread. Grace and Peace.

enarchay
Sep 24th 2007, 02:26 PM
NRSV and KJV for casual studies; UBS4 Greek-English Interlinear for serious studies.

Gard
Sep 24th 2007, 03:03 PM
It's the NASB for me.

taddy
Sep 24th 2007, 08:32 PM
I read the King James Bible. All other versions skip parts of verses or delete whole verses. The publishers of these (so-called) bibles say that what appears to be skipped or delete is only what the King James Bible translators added to the original text. That is absolutely false. What is skipped or deleted are doctrines that the publishers of these "bibles" do not want to teach.

TAD

Otter77
Sep 25th 2007, 01:50 PM
If I had to pick one overall it would be NIV - it seems to speak to me in the most literal and clear language of my mind. I do own an NLT Bible that I like sometimes and other times I feel it bends the truth a bit... and NKJV sometimes feels more poetic and appropriate.

Most disconcerting?

"The Message"... is this so much a bible or just a book?

SammeyDW
Sep 25th 2007, 05:00 PM
If I had to pick one overall it would be NIV - it seems to speak to me in the most literal and clear language of my mind. I do own an NLT Bible that I like sometimes and other times I feel it bends the truth a bit... and NKJV sometimes feels more poetic and appropriate.

Most disconcerting?

"The Message"... is this so much a bible or just a book?

"The Message" is a paraphrase and IMHO not a good one at that.

karenoka27
Sep 25th 2007, 05:17 PM
kjv but as you call it...AV..;)
hmmmm..."authorized" version...I like it...

anglican-cat
Sep 25th 2007, 05:35 PM

People (usually detractors) try to separate the TR from the MT, actually the TR is well within the "stream" of the MT readings, most issues only arise in a few places in terms of the books and Epistles the agreement are quite close only in Revelation do we find some interesting variants popping up. Grace and Peace.

My heart's Desire
Sep 25th 2007, 05:48 PM
For some reason it surprised me to find so many using the NASB. That's the one I use, yet it has been fairly recent (in the last 3 yrs) that I read and started using it primarily! I always thought I was the last one on the boat. LOL.
It seemed while I was the KJV, everyone was in the NASB (I guess). Or The NLT for some fitted in there somewhere too.
Seems when I started being enthused with the NASB, everyone else was in the NIV.
I state this in very broad terms of course. I am, by admittance a Book store junkie and all I know is over the years I've found that as a book gets popular you find more varieties in format of a popular one than you do of others. For instantance. When I wanted the NASB, in the bookstore I found lots of formats to choose from in the KJV, NIV and the various paraphrases, but not so many in the NASB. (such as choice of print size,study Bible or not, etc.)
Of course, I guess it just depends on where you live or what is being published at the time. We have only 2 Christian book stores here and you can get the Word in a few regular book stores.

anglican-cat
Sep 25th 2007, 05:58 PM
For some reason it surprised me to find so many using the NASB. That's the one I use, yet it has been fairly recent (in the last 3 yrs) that I read and started using it primarily! I always thought I was the last one on the boat. LOL.
It seemed while I was the KJV, everyone was in the NASB (I guess). Or The NLT for some fitted in there somewhere too.
Seems when I started being enthused with the NASB, everyone else was in the NIV.
I state this in very broad terms of course. I am, by admittance a Book store junkie and all I know is over the years I've found that as a book gets popular you find more varieties in format of a popular one than you do of others. For instantance. When I wanted the NASB, in the bookstore I found lots of formats to choose from in the KJV, NIV and the various paraphrases, but not so many in the NASB. (such as choice of print size,study Bible or not, etc.)
Of course, I guess it just depends on where you live or what is being published at the time. We have only 2 Christian book stores here and you can get the Word in a few regular book stores.
I agree with your assesment of the popularity of the NASB, I looked into the ESV...I have one real problem with it, it does not put words not used in the Greek and Hebrew in italics to set them out (ellipticals) , this is important in making a good study tool. Another issue is I do not find the NASB 95 harder to read than the ESV! I like the ESV (so ESV fans do not stone me)....but as far as it's English goes....it has a lot of "clunkers" that have been ignored in "Bloggerganda".:cool:

taddy
Sep 25th 2007, 10:13 PM
It is best to stick with word for word translations, as opposed to thought for thoought translations. TADDY

anglican-cat
Sep 25th 2007, 11:09 PM
It is best to stick with word for word translations, as opposed to thought for thought translations. TADDY
No argument here Taddy! A DE is OK as "commentary" ,but I have have trouble calling certain translations God's Word.:2cents:

HisGrace
Sep 25th 2007, 11:33 PM
The NLT has always been my favourite Bible translation, although I often refer to NIV when looking up something up in biblegateway.com

anglican-cat
Sep 26th 2007, 12:11 AM
The NLT has always been my favourite Bible translation, although I often refer to NIV when looking up something up in biblegateway.com
I think the NLT has merits as commentary, I myself would not use it as a primary....I will give credit where credit is due.....the NLT IS far and away better than the Living Bible. Grace and Peace.

My heart's Desire
Sep 26th 2007, 05:33 AM
I agree with your assesment of the popularity of the NASB, I looked into the ESV...I have one real problem with it, it does not put words not used in the Greek and Hebrew in italics to set them out (ellipticals) , this is important in making a good study tool. Another issue is I do not find the NASB 95 harder to read than the ESV! I like the ESV (so ESV fans do not stone me)....but as far as it's English goes....it has a lot of "clunkers" that have been ignored in "Bloggerganda".:cool:

Thank you! :) I have an ESV but I've never really read it yet. Can't seem to get out of my NASB95. Before I got the ESV I liked the introduction they gave to it and yet now that I have it, I haven't read it! Probably b/c that was about the time I had the "NET Bible". You know..the internet one but in hard copy.

(as you might can tell, :bounce:
I went through a period of "translation anxiety" at one point. I've settled down now! )

My heart's Desire
Sep 26th 2007, 05:34 AM
The NLT has always been my favourite Bible translation, although I often refer to NIV when looking up something up in biblegateway.com I will confess I've not owned or read the NLT, but my friend really likes it.

Tonton
Sep 26th 2007, 11:21 AM
I am surprised that you left out the KJV, as this is the most accurate translation - albeit in old English.

Alternatively I use NKJV.

Anton

anglican-cat
Sep 26th 2007, 04:04 PM
I am surprised that you left out the KJV, as this is the most accurate translation - albeit in old English.

Alternatively I use NKJV.

Anton
LOL. Well....The term King James Bible is pretty late the REAL title is The Authorized Version of the Holy Bible. So...if you like the King Jimmy.....vote AV.;)

anglican-cat
Sep 27th 2007, 03:24 AM
I meant to ask this at the first and have it in the poll....does anyone ere use the Holman Christian Standard? I have one but I confess I have not really read enough to really give an informed opinion. Grace and Peace.

ChristsCourage
Sep 27th 2007, 03:44 AM
I like the King James Version, cause, I grew up with that version, and, it's easier for me to understand.:)

anglican-cat
Sep 27th 2007, 03:51 AM
I like the King James Version, cause, I grew up with that version, and, it's easier for me to understand.:)
I can't give the 23rd Psalm or the Lords Prayer except from he King Jimmy! There are some phrases from the AV that are so much a part of the cultural memory I do not think it will ever become obsolete....for that I am glad.:)

My heart's Desire
Sep 27th 2007, 04:06 AM
I meant to ask this at the first and have it in the poll....does anyone ere use the Holman Christian Standard? I have one but I confess I have not really read enough to really give an informed opinion. Grace and Peace.
I have one, but not much help as if I did read some of it when I got it, I don't remember. :(

Tonton
Sep 27th 2007, 07:24 AM
LOL. Well....The term King James Bible is pretty late the REAL title is The Authorized Version of the Holy Bible. So...if you like the King Jimmy.....vote AV.;)

Of course - it was authorised by King James. I still prefer the "pretty late" title of KJV. Any case - too late to vote AV, as I have voted "Other".

Anton

anglican-cat
Sep 27th 2007, 04:18 PM
Of course - it was authorised by King James. I still prefer the "pretty late" title of KJV. Any case - too late to vote AV, as I have voted "Other".

Anton
Sorry about that my friend! I really should have put KJV/AV......the King James thing actually became almost an "nickname" that stuck after 1881 RV (not RSV;)).....but you are right most people do refer to it as the King James......so I should have used that!

FoG
Sep 27th 2007, 11:33 PM
I voted NASB because I didn't know there was a KJV choice. I like them both.

anglican-cat
Sep 27th 2007, 11:40 PM
I voted NASB because I didn't know there was a KJV choice. I like them both.I keep feeling worse for confusing people with that AV thing. Sorry.........:blush::blush::blush:

FoG
Sep 28th 2007, 01:32 AM
Oh, it's ok. That's why I said they were both good. :)

anglican-cat
Sep 28th 2007, 02:03 AM
Oh, it's ok. That's why I said they were both good. :)As an Anglican for many Liturgical readings the King James is still the "Gold Standard", James the Stuart 1st of England gave it his blessings and it became THE Authorized Bible...hence my tendency to refer to it as the AV. If I were from a different background I probably would call it the King James Bible.:cool:

taddy
Oct 1st 2007, 10:44 PM
Dear Anglican cat,

What is DE?

As I stated earlier I'm King James allthe way. I have a collection of about 11or 12 different versios. I have found that the King James is superior. Second is NKJV.

My favorite Bible is the Expositor's Study Bible (Jimmy Swaggart Ministries). It explains the verses a lot better than a commentary. A commentary is a person's opinion of what a verse means. An expository is a basic non opinionated explanation of a verse.

Taddy

anglican-cat
Oct 2nd 2007, 03:32 PM
Dear Anglican cat,

What is DE?

As I stated earlier I'm King James allthe way. I have a collection of about 11or 12 different versios. I have found that the King James is superior. Second is NKJV.

My favorite Bible is the Expositor's Study Bible (Jimmy Swaggart Ministries). It explains the verses a lot better than a commentary. A commentary is a person's opinion of what a verse means. An expository is a basic non opinionated explanation of a verse.

TaddyTaddy! Hello, sorry I just noticed your post! Sorry. DE is "shorthand' for dynamic equivalence ( a translation between paraphrase and literal interpretation, the lines often get a bit blurred) since you use the King James and NKJV they are pretty literal. Grace and Peace.:cool:

anglican-cat
Oct 4th 2007, 12:16 AM
Little Bump for new members!:saint:

anglican-cat
Oct 4th 2007, 03:07 AM
OK.....about 26% of you guys are voting "other". Really, I would love a cross sample of what you all use.....please....if you vote other.....post what it is....remember boys and girls...posting is fun!:cool:

taddy
Oct 9th 2007, 08:20 PM
Thanks. I just more people would read the Bible for themselves and live it.

TADDY

Saved7
Oct 11th 2007, 05:02 PM
There was no option for KJV, I read from that...so I voted "other".

faithworks
Oct 13th 2007, 11:15 AM
Really when I study I use many different translations but my favorite is the Amplified because of how it breaks it down. Many that I have talked to has a hard time understanding what the Bible says especially newbees in Christ and I have found the amplified is the easiest one that I know of. I have not checked out all the translations and I am sure many are good. The Bible we take to church is a paralell with the KJV, NIV, AMP. AMS. I think that they are all good as long as they are the Holy Bible.

Ayala
Oct 21st 2007, 06:06 PM
NLT (New Living Translation)

Kades
Nov 4th 2007, 07:50 PM
This poll needs a category for NLT. Surely that's what all the "Other" votes are for! ;)

Quickened
Nov 5th 2007, 12:26 PM
"The Message" is a paraphrase and IMHO not a good one at that.

i gotta agree with you there!

I Mainly use a Wide Margin NASB. But i will be switching over to use the Journaling ESV (wide margin) at my church and using the NASB side by side with that at home.

poorinspirit
Nov 5th 2007, 01:25 PM
The King James Version.

Reason being, in the perilous times we live in, subtle changes in the other versions which has been reputedly reported as being transcribed from documents from the Alexandria files where gnostics writings were found, as opposed to the King James Version transcribed from the Received Text or the Textus Receptus... we need His exact meaning of His Words if we are to discern apostasy for a little leaven.. leavens a whole lump.

Keep in mind what scriptures are supposed to be doing; testifying of Jesus, thus the importance of understanding the actual meaning of His Words.

John 5: 38And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not. 39Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. 40And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life. 41I receive not honour from men. 42But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you. 43I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive. 44How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only? 45Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust. 46For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me. 47But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

In this perilous times, we have seen the movement of man called Promise Keepers. Jesus said this in Matthew 5:33-37 as to why in verse 36 that He did not want people making vows as the people of old time did in performing it to the Lord, because you can't make one hair white or black, but what do we find in the CEV?

Matthew 5: 33You know that our ancestors were told, "Don't use the Lord's name to make a promise unless you are going to keep it." 34But I tell you not to swear by anything when you make a promise! Heaven is God's throne, so don't swear by heaven. 35The earth is God's footstool, so don't swear by the earth. Jerusalem is the city of the great king, so don't swear by it. 36Don't swear by your own head. You cannot make one hair white or black. 37When you make a promise, say only "Yes" or "No." Anything else comes from the devil.

CEV says it is okay to make a promise, just don't swear by it. But the KJV plainly states the reason why in verse 36.

Matthew 5: 33Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths: 34But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne: 35Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King. 36Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black. 37But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

The law of making promises requires that if it is your promise, you have to do all of it. God cannot help you do it for how can you say you kept it?

Numbers 30: 2If a man vow a vow unto the LORD, or swear an oath to bind his soul with a bond; he shall not break his word, he shall do according to all that proceedeth out of his mouth.

Ecclesiastes 5: 1Keep thy foot when thou goest to the house of God, and be more ready to hear, than to give the sacrifice of fools: for they consider not that they do evil. 2Be not rash with thy mouth, and let not thine heart be hasty to utter any thing before God: for God is in heaven, and thou upon earth: therefore let thy words be few. 3For a dream cometh through the multitude of business; and a fool's voice is known by multitude of words. 4When thou vowest a vow unto God, defer not to pay it; for he hath no pleasure in fools: pay that which thou hast vowed. 5Better is it that thou shouldest not vow, than that thou shouldest vow and not pay. 6Suffer not thy mouth to cause thy flesh to sin; neither say thou before the angel, that it was an error: wherefore should God be angry at thy voice, and destroy the work of thine hands?

Your vows means your work. His Covenant means He will do it as Hebrews 8:6-13 declares. All He asks from us is to believe on Him Whom He hath sent that He will save us as Saviour and enable us to live as His as the Good Shepherd He is, thus the just shall live by faith when they follow Him in resting in His promises to us.

John 6: 28Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? 29Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

Philippians 3: And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

Galatians 3: 1O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? 2This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? 4Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.

Philippians 1: 6Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

Now I know that other versions will declare the ones above that I used to support the reason why in Matthew 5:33-37, but because of the subtle chnages, they will not fully comprehend the error in Matthew 5:33-37 if it says it is okay to make a promise that are His to keep and to finish. But becuase other versions have used the word, "commit" to mean other than "entrust" or to imply entrust partially by placing some action on man, the religious call of the day is to make a commitment to Christ or to follow christ to bear witness of themselves in how serious they are to Jesus, but it is not about us. From this small leaven of the Pharisees, people are binding themselves and judging others by it in condemning them so as to force them to make a recommitment... as if there is any power in that to keep them following Jesus. Here is the verse below that leads to the greates apostasy today that evangelicals use without discerning from the KJV.

1 Peter 4: 19Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator.

Note the well doing is on the Lord in the keeping of our soul while we suffer. Other versions will change the meaning of that to doing what is right or doing good as being on man to do, but that is not the original meaning of the verse.

2 Timothy 1: For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.

Don't get me wrong. Commit can mean "I will" as it does lead to the declaration of man in making a commitment to Christ, but the use of the word in proper meaning in some of these verses refers to entrusting the Lord with it as stated above... as in declaring "He will"... thus the just shall live by faith, but the commitment to Christ is not of faith for it speaks of man and therefore by that commitment to Christ is the knowledge of sin. We are in a relationship with Christ Jesus... not under a religious calling. We follow Him by faith. Alot of people will contest that it takes a decision to follow Jesus, but as in Acts, when the Gentiles heard the Gospel and believed, they were baptized by the Holy Ghost immediately, so it is in believing Jesus at His Word we are saved and it is believing Jesus at His Word that He will help us live as His thus the just shall live by faith where not very many mighty men nor nobles are called, but they do answer the call of the religious fervor of the day... the commitment to Christ. This is why the poor in spirit are blessed because they have come to the end of themselves and looking to God for help.

So when scriptures testifies of man when the KJV testifies of Jesus, I go with the KJV.

More continued in next post as to why I use the KJV in discerning the perilous times we live in so that we may be found abiding in the Light be heeding His sayings... for if we do not have the actual meaning, how can we abide?

poorinspirit
Nov 5th 2007, 01:26 PM
Continued from above post.

Another apostasy of the day is the holy laughter movement which is hard to discern by in the other versions because some versions will replace Jesus with the Spirit and thus misleading believers that it is okay to broaden the Way and put the Holy Spirit in the spotlight when scriptures says that the indwelling Holy Spirit does not seek that, but to lead us to testify and glorify Jesus Christ the Lord for the moment they stop honoring the Son, they are no longer honoring the Father, but and even though they may have this verse in John 5:22,23 on how Jesus will judge by, they glance over it because of the subtle changes done in replacing the "he" in Romans 8:26.27 to "the Spirit".

Romans 8: 26In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. 27And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will. NIV

Now even in reading the NIV, one can spot the error. How can the "he", a third person, that searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, be the Spirit in interceding for the saints? Let's read the KJV below.

Romans 8: 26Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

So in both versions, we read in the NIV that the Holy Spirit intercedes with with groans that words cannot express as the KJV says with groanings not uttered hence no sound at all. This would lead to the KJV going to verse 27 as to how then can the Holy Spirit intercedes. By Him being in us, the "he", being Jesus, who searcheth the hearts knoweth the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

And that will of God is seen clearly written here in both versions, but all it takes is a small change elsewhere in the NIV, people glance over that and believe it is okay to pray to the Holy Spirit.

1 Timothy 2: 5For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Thus coupled with hymnals that addresses the Holy Spirit and calls for the Holy Spirit to come and fall on them, people are ignroing what the indwelling Holy Spirit is leading them to do.

John 15: 26But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me: 27And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.

Look at how we shall be judged.

John 5: 22For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: 23That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

The only way to glorify the Father is through the Son. The moment we stop honoring the Son, we are no longer honoring the Father thus if we are led by the Spirit of God, we would be testifying and glorifying Jesus Christ the Lord.

John 16: 13Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

John 13: 31Therefore, when he was gone out, Jesus said, Now is the Son of man glorified, and God is glorified in him. 32If God be glorified in him, God shall also glorify him in himself, and shall straightway glorify him.

John 17: 1These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee: 2As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him. 3And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. 4I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. 5And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

So if the Holy Spirit will not speak of himself, neither should man in putting the Holy Spirit in the worship place instead of Christ, and neither should man share the spotlight with Jesus.

John 7: 18He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him. 19Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law? Why go ye about to kill me?

Thus warnings given about false prophets are that they will broaden the Way by sharing the spotlight with Jesus, but believers are called to discern by striving to enter through that strait gate, Jesus. Matthew 7:13-27 & Luke 13:24-30.

So bottomline, if it wasn't for the King James Version and the Lord Jesus being my Good Shepherd, I would not have been able to discern the perilous times we live in as it has been prophesied that many shall fall away and only a few be found ready and abiding in the Light by heeding His sayings. I thank the Lord Jsus for delivering me from apostasies as well as carnal sins that I could not overcome by my will nor by my might for I trust Him to do it.

All invitations points to Jesus. Our rest is in Him. Relationship is based on trust and we are to learn of Jesus so we can rest in Him. Below is the call for religious christians to surrender from their heavy yoke and trust Him to do it.

Matthew 11: 28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Other versions would mislead others into taking on something that is His work.

We must cease from our works if we are to enter into that rest.

Hebrews 4: 9There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. 11Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief. 12For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do. 14Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. 15For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. 16Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

It is that simple for a child can come to Him for all they can do is trust Him. And it is written to warn us that if we do not receive the kingdom of Heaven as a child would, we will not enter therein.

Mark 10: 13And they brought young children to him, that he should touch them: and his disciples rebuked those that brought them. 14But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. 15Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.

That goes for seeking a continual filling of the Holy Spirit or anything else that takes your eyes off of Jesus to the Holy Spirit, because the indwelling Holy Spirit is pointing you to Jesus so you will honor Jesus and rest in Him, but those that chase after more of the "Holy Spirit" are not resting in Him nor His promise that they will not hunger nor thirst anymore.

John 6: 35And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

2 Corinthians 5: 17Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.18And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;

Matthew 9: 17 Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

Thus we are "sealed" with that Spirit of adoption and thus saved.

Colossians 2: 5For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ. 6As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him: 7Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving. 8Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. 9For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. 10And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

Ephesians 1: 12That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. 13In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 14Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. 15Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints, ...21Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come: 22And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church, 23Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

John 3: 6That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. 8The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

Hebrews 11: 1Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Galatians 3: 14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Thus the call for worship and fellowship is this.

1 Corinthians 2: 2For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

Philippians 2: 9Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

So we can see why I place the importance of the King James Version over all the other versions because one cannot discern the apostasies by the other versions. If one verse puts it on man or the spirit, all other verses will be ignored to the significance of His sayings, no matter how plainly it is.

Debra R
Nov 10th 2007, 02:15 AM
I've already voted that the New American Standard is my favorite version :), just wanted to add that I have the NIV, KJV, NKJ, Revised Standard, Amplified, NLT, Message, and a parallel bible with four versions in it. I love all my Bibles. :)

M1Tommy
Nov 14th 2007, 04:58 PM
While I enjoy reading KJV myself, I cannot use it to share with others... my toungue just isn't trained in king-jimmy . I carry an NIV in my vest and a larger ESV in my saddlebags. My preferred is ESV, but my smallest Bible (for carrying in my vest) is in NIV. I believe both to be sound in the core message.

I also enjoy reading "The Message" along with either NIV or ESV. A paraphrase can help me understand matters of context better than can some translations.

Tommy

Susanna62
Nov 26th 2007, 08:17 PM
My favorite is the NCV. The language it uses is easy for me to understand but still poetic.
I have heard it's important to use a word-for-word translation so I've started cross-referencing with the ESV some. I think its language is beautiful and still pretty easy to understand.

grit
Jan 26th 2008, 06:19 AM
I voted the ESV, but there's still more resource support material available in the updatedNASB and especially the NKJV and NIV, so it's still a bit of a toss up, depending on what all I am doing with the Scriptures at the time.

militarywife
Jan 26th 2008, 07:22 AM
I use NIV in combo with NKJV.

HisBlood
Jan 28th 2008, 02:33 AM
I've recently been using a parallel Bible with KJV, Amplified, NASB, and NIV all together. It's very good for indepth studies of the Word because it gives different viewpoints of each passage.

I have a small ESV that I carry around in my backpack and on outreach programs. I also use the NLT for just regular devotional reading. I use the Message every now and then for recreational reading.