PDA

View Full Version : How are we forgiven of mortal sins?

Tduncan212
Sep 16th 2007, 02:12 AM
I was wondering how we are forgiven of mortal sins? I read through confession, but God is the only one who has the power to cleanse us of our sins. I always pray and am truly sorry and acknowledge my sins. But I was wondering if I stay away from and repent a mortal sin am I forgiven? Sorry there is so much I do not understand fully.

Thank you and God Bless you all.

TEITZY
Sep 16th 2007, 07:52 AM
Mortal sins are a teaching of the Roman Catholic Church and I believe they can only be forgiven through absolution from a priest. Of course the Bible says there is only "one" Mediator (priest) between God and men and that is Jesus Christ (1 Tim 2:5). Why go to God through a man when you can go directly to Him through Christ? If you have trusted in Christ alone for salvation then you simply have to confess your sins to God who has promised to forgive them (1 John 1:9).

Cheers
Leigh

Tduncan212
Sep 16th 2007, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought. But was unsure. Thank you.

oldfriendsgrave
Sep 23rd 2007, 05:40 AM
the bible, weather its is the Christian, or catholic bible teaches that if you ask god for forgiveness and truly mean it then you will be forgiven.

GothicAngel
Sep 24th 2007, 01:52 PM
the bible, weather its is the Christian, or catholic bible teaches that if you ask god for forgiveness and truly mean it then you will be forgiven.
Thats correct, according to that denomination's teachings; although they also teach that if one has the oppurtunity to confess, they must.

RedBird777
Sep 25th 2007, 12:16 AM
You must confess your sins and repent. But that isn't just "mortal" sins, do it for every sin. If the first sin - disobedience of God - can bring death, then any sin (which is basically disobeying God's word) is deadly.
If you truly repent, God will definitely forgive you of your sins.

oldfriendsgrave
Sep 25th 2007, 03:31 AM
there is truth in what you say, but the catholic church has confession unlike the lutheren or the pentecostal, but people in these denominations are expected to confess to the lord, and not necessarily to the minister, or the pastor. the confession, to the priest in a catholic church is aslo i believe ment to help keep that person accountable, this is where a significant other is usually used in a pentecostal church.

Sold Out
Sep 25th 2007, 04:15 PM
I was wondering how we are forgiven of mortal sins? I read through confession, but God is the only one who has the power to cleanse us of our sins. I always pray and am truly sorry and acknowledge my sins. But I was wondering if I stay away from and repent a mortal sin am I forgiven? Sorry there is so much I do not understand fully.

ALL sins are forgiven when you place your trust in Jesus Christ and what He did at Calvary.

He paid the penalty for our sins (death) on the cross - in your place. Forgiveness has nothing to do with continually saying you are sorry...being sorry does not take away the penalty of the sin. Trusting that Christ paid your fine on your behalf is how you get forgiveness.

NavyFirefighter
Sep 25th 2007, 07:43 PM
When we ask for forgivness for our sins and go right back out and do the same thing again, we have not trully repented. To repent means to turn away from and go the other way.

Repent:
In the New Testament (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Testament), the word translated as 'repentance' is the Greek word μετάνοια (metanoia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metanoia)), "after/behind one's mind (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind)", which is a compound word of the preposition 'meta' (after, with), and the verb 'noeo' (to perceive, to think, the result of perceiving or observing). In this compound word the preposition combines the two meanings of time and change, which may be denoted by 'after' and 'different'; so that the whole compound means: 'to think differently after'. Metanoia is therefore primarily an after-thought, different from the former thought; a change of mind accompanied by regret and change of conduct, "change of mind and heart", or, "change of consciousness". One of the key descriptions of repentance in the New Testament is the parable (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable) of the prodigal son (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prodigal_son) found in the Gospel of Luke (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_Luke) 15 beginning at verse 11.

Sold Out
Sep 25th 2007, 07:55 PM
When we ask for forgivness for our sins and go right back out and do the same thing again, we have not trully repented. To repent means to turn away from and go the other way.

Repent:
In the New Testament (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Testament), the word translated as 'repentance' is the Greek word μετάνοια (metanoia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metanoia)), "after/behind one's mind (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind)", which is a compound word of the preposition 'meta' (after, with), and the verb 'noeo' (to perceive, to think, the result of perceiving or observing). In this compound word the preposition combines the two meanings of time and change, which may be denoted by 'after' and 'different'; so that the whole compound means: 'to think differently after'. Metanoia is therefore primarily an after-thought, different from the former thought; a change of mind accompanied by regret and change of conduct, "change of mind and heart", or, "change of consciousness". One of the key descriptions of repentance in the New Testament is the parable (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable) of the prodigal son (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prodigal_son) found in the Gospel of Luke (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_Luke) 15 beginning at verse 11.

You contradicted yourself...you said repent means to 'turn away from sin', then you posted the greek definition of repent which means 'change of mind'.

True biblical repentance is a change of mind, not turning from sin. Change your mind about what? Who you are (a sinner in need of a Savior ) and who Christ is (Savior; God in flesh). We see a perfect example of biblical repentance in the thief on the cross. He recognized who he was and acknowledged who Christ was....then Jesus said that he would be with him in paradise.

It is unbiblical to tell a person that once he/she is saved that they will not sin again. We find many examples of BORN AGAIN BELIEVERS steeped in sinful behavior all throughout the New Testament. All you have to do is read I & II Corinthians. Paul himself said he struggled with sin every day of his life.

NavyFirefighter
Sep 26th 2007, 03:07 PM
You contradicted yourself...you said repent means to 'turn away from sin', then you posted the greek definition of repent which means 'change of mind'.

True biblical repentance is a change of mind, not turning from sin. Change your mind about what? Who you are (a sinner in need of a Savior ) and who Christ is (Savior; God in flesh). We see a perfect example of biblical repentance in the thief on the cross. He recognized who he was and acknowledged who Christ was....then Jesus said that he would be with him in paradise.

It is unbiblical to tell a person that once he/she is saved that they will not sin again. We find many examples of BORN AGAIN BELIEVERS steeped in sinful behavior all throughout the New Testament. All you have to do is read I & II Corinthians. Paul himself said he struggled with sin every day of his life.
To "turn away from" the way I see it is a change of mind. If it were not, why would you turn away? You are right when you say that it is unbiblical to tell a person that once he/she is saved that they will not sin again. It is biblical that once saved to be sinless is our goal. in John Jesus says (NIV) "Go now and leave your life of sin." We can live without sin. What we haven't done is found someone that has done it for the long term.

Sold Out
Sep 26th 2007, 04:52 PM
To "turn away from" the way I see it is a change of mind. If it were not, why would you turn away? You are right when you say that it is unbiblical to tell a person that once he/she is saved that they will not sin again. It is biblical that once saved to be sinless is our goal. in John Jesus says (NIV) "Go now and leave your life of sin." We can live without sin. What we haven't done is found someone that has done it for the long term.

Turning away and changing your mind are two different things.

Example -

a) I was standing outside I and turned away from the cold wind.

b) I was standing outside and changed my mind about being outside in the cold wind

(A) implies that a person must DO something (B) implies that a person change their mind about their current condition

So you see turning away and changing your mind is different. If you define repent as 'turn away', it implies that a person must first stop sinning, then trust Christ, then never sin again - since the understanding is that turning from sin is to stop sinning.

This definition is DANGEROUS....we must define the word 'repent' correctly when witnessing to folks.

Frances
Sep 26th 2007, 05:32 PM

Only providing you have repented ( had a change of mind [to obey God] resulting in a change of actions) and you are trusting Jesus Christ to have paid the penalty for your Sin, and that He rose from the dead enabling you to rise to New Life with Him . . .

Saved7
Sep 26th 2007, 10:36 PM

ALLLLL sins are mortal. Scripture says...For the wages of sin is death. But we have an advocate, the one who died to pay for our sins..Jesus Christ.:pp Therefore, you go to Jesus in prayer and ask forgiveness, after you have repented (turned away from that sin) and guess what, you're forgiven. Read your bible, you will see that there is nothing in it that demands that we go to a priest to get forgiven. There is only one mediator between God and man, that is the Lord Jesus Christ. Scripture.
And when you ask Jesus into your heart and make him the Lord of your life, and make him your Saviour, you are now a forgiven sinner. God is the only one able to cleanse us of our sins.

NavyFirefighter
Sep 27th 2007, 06:25 PM
Turning away and changing your mind are two different things.

Example -

a) I was standing outside I and turned away from the cold wind.

b) I was standing outside and changed my mind about being outside in the cold wind

(A) implies that a person must DO something (B) implies that a person change their mind about their current condition

So you see turning away and changing your mind is different. If you define repent as 'turn away', it implies that a person must first stop sinning, then trust Christ, then never sin again - since the understanding is that turning from sin is to stop sinning.

This definition is DANGEROUS....we must define the word 'repent' correctly when witnessing to folks.

If you turn away from the cold wind, your still in the cold wind. Turn away from the cold wind and go inside.

You can change your mind about being in the cold, but unless you turn from the cold and go inside, your standing in the cold with a changed mind. To "turn away from" says, it dosn't imply, that you must do something.

Sold Out
Sep 27th 2007, 06:32 PM
If you turn away from the cold wind, your still in the cold wind. Turn away from the cold wind and go inside.

Probably not the best illustration:D

My point it that if you are going to define something, define it correctly. We don't want to inadvertantly hurt people by giving them a misconception of how God receives us at salvation. If we tell them that they have to turn from sin, they might say, "I really can't do that."....which is true! There is nothing THEY can do about their sinful condition. Now if you tell them to change their mind about their sin (acknowledge it), then most will admit they are sinners and need a Savior, in effect leaving all the saving to Christ, by no effort of their own.

phil8888
Sep 27th 2007, 10:15 PM
That is a really great question, and it's good you asked. Mortal comes from Latin and means to bring death, whereas venial also comes from Latin and means minor or not that important. Mortal sins are addressed in the Bible, when John says the following:

"If anyone sees his brother commit sin that does not lead to death, he should pray and God will give him life. I refer to those whose sin does not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death. I am not saying that he should pray about that. All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin that does not lead to death" (1 John 5:16-17).

Does anyone really believe that a five-year-old who steals a cookie is the moral and spiritual equivalent of murdering innocent people?

Sold Out
Sep 28th 2007, 01:53 PM
Does anyone really believe that a five-year-old who steals a cookie is the moral and spiritual equivalent of murdering innocent people?

Yep, that's what the bible says. Of course this 'child' is only ACCOUNTABLE for that sin when he/she can understand it's sin.

Sin does not have classifications.

"The wages of SIN is death..." Rom 6:23

"Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God." I Cor 6:10

froggymama
Oct 1st 2007, 02:48 PM
ok, so if we repent and ask again for his forgivness but tommorrow we go and do the same thing that we did today, and yet again ask for his forgiveness do we keep getting his forgiveness. I know he has un-dying love for us but have we really not accepted him as our savior if we keep sinning. Did that make sense?? and what is mortal sins is that something different than everyday sins?

Sold Out
Oct 1st 2007, 03:38 PM
ok, so if we repent and ask again for his forgivness but tommorrow we go and do the same thing that we did today, and yet again ask for his forgiveness do we keep getting his forgiveness. I know he has un-dying love for us but have we really not accepted him as our savior if we keep sinning. Did that make sense?? and what is mortal sins is that something different than everyday sins?

Forgiveness has two parts:

ETERNAL forgiveness is what happens at the moment of salvation. You are no longer ETERNALLY accountable for ANY of your sin (past present future), meaning you will never have to go to hell because of your sin. It covers everything....Jesus' blood covers ALL sin.

Now we know by simple logic and observation that as Christians, we continue to sin while in these fleshly bodies. Our day to day sin should be confessed daily to our Heavenly Father to restore our RELATIONSHIP, not sonship. We are already sons/daughters and eternally forgiven of sin at salvation. Now we must maintain our relationship by repenting and confessing sin regularly.

It's similar to a parent/child relationship. My child will always be my child, but when he/she disobeys, it hurts our relationship. When they apologize and ask forgiveness, our relationship is mended. If they don't apologize & ask forgiveness, it will cause strain and distance in our relationship. So it is with God's children.

froggymama
Oct 1st 2007, 04:48 PM
Thank you Sold Out :hug: I have been thinking about this for quite awhile. I thought maybe something could have been wrong with me and wondered if I was truly forgiven being I keep sinning everyday. I guess in a way I thought that some like magic power that if I truly did accept Jesus in my heart that some how I wouldn't keep living in sin. I know silly right? But thats the way I was thinking. Anyhow thank you again for your response. :kiss:

Sold Out
Oct 1st 2007, 06:05 PM
Thank you Sold Out :hug: I have been thinking about this for quite awhile. I thought maybe something could have been wrong with me and wondered if I was truly forgiven being I keep sinning everyday. I guess in a way I thought that some like magic power that if I truly did accept Jesus in my heart that some how I wouldn't keep living in sin. I know silly right? But thats the way I was thinking. Anyhow thank you again for your response. :kiss:

Your welcome:saint:

Just take your 'spiritual bath' everyday and confess those pesky sins to your Father. He loves to hear from us!