PDA

View Full Version : Edification - Peaceful or Dividing Process?

Friend of I AM
Sep 23rd 2007, 01:15 PM
I am finding as of late that I am becoming much more confrontational in representing what I know to be the Truth of God's Word. Some people might view this as being quarrelsome, although I don't think I've attempted to do so with the intention of just arguing. So my question to you all is, when searching for Truth - do you believe that it is more so of a confrontational or peaceful process?

Lyndie
Sep 23rd 2007, 09:33 PM
I believe part of it is how we present that truth. If we need to correct someone, we should do it in a loving way, not a "I know more than you do so nah nah nah nah..." Everyone and I mean everyone hasn't got it 100% right, or 100% wrong. If you truly believe you are right, then it's God's job to place that word in the other person's heart and convict them, not yours. Being rude/confrontational only turns people off, it doesn't shed light anywhere. The Bible says to live in peace with everyone, so if someone isn't willing to hear/accept a truth, let it go, you did your part, the rest is up to God and the other person.

Friend of I AM
Sep 23rd 2007, 11:08 PM
I agree with you for the most part. I think with me though, it's a bit different with my walk as of late, because I've generally been a pretty passive person over the years...probably too much so. I think some of this confrontation was actually brought on by the Word to assist me in rightfully dividing the Truth.

Oh yeah one more thing...

"I know more than you do so nah nah nah nah..." :P

walked
Sep 24th 2007, 02:33 PM
I am finding as of late that I am becoming much more confrontational in representing what I know to be the Truth of God's Word. Some people might view this as being quarrelsome, although I don't think I've attempted to do so with the intention of just arguing. So my question to you all is, when searching for Truth - do you believe that it is more so of a confrontational or peaceful process?

Ive honestly found that in my past I sought Gods wisdom and understanding just so I could be intellectually stimulated or join in or add to worthy and even unworthy conversations.
Or even so I could pluck the splinter from my fellows eye.
These were my reasons and motivations for seeking knowledge from God after my salvation was assured.

Now I find my self lately (like this weekend lately) I've been seeking this same knowledge of my God but, for one and only one reason and motivation.
To know and understand my God who loves me and who suffers patiently for His creation, since I started approaching my growing in knowledge of Him this way He allowed me to really start growing not just in intellect but in the likeness of Him.
By Him letting me see Him in His glory and in all of His other attributes I receive that same glory and those same attributes more and more and, I am finally finding all of the things I've been lacking spiritually because now I seek Him for my perfection and holiness rather than for my intellectual knowledge to puff myself up before my fellows.

So now my seeking is preparing me for a restoration and I wont stop to pluck any splinters from my fellows until Gods glory and separated holiness in me removes the tree in my own eye.
After the tree is gone I wont have to worry about my reasons and motives. I'll just start plucking away in Spirit and in power that He provided, and not provided by my own intellect.

God bless you.

Friend of I AM
Sep 24th 2007, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the enlightening testimony walked.

Stephen

Sold Out
Sep 24th 2007, 05:22 PM

You probably have the gift of prophecy....speaking the truth without apology!

Of course you are going to offend...so did John the Baptist and Jesus, and Paul. God's Word is going to offend the world, and even some Christians.

We should speak the truth in love, but never compromise the truth.

roshkoch
Sep 25th 2007, 05:29 AM
There is a core set of beliefs on which all variations rest. I think it is important to agree on the essentials. However beyond that there are many different variations in doctorine. I think the important question in those cases should be "does it matter if i am right or wrong?"

It is healthy to loving discuss and compare scriptures, and i think that our responsibility to be in scripture to continually learn learn learn is essential.

As a Methodist minister at a multi-denominational fellowship said, "Who am I to say that I, or the Methodist church, has the corner on the absolute truth? How dare I claim to be the one who knows everything about everything concerning the scriptures?"

Be careful that your defensiveness for your brand of the truth isn't a curtain for a reason to boast and defend your own pride.

I participate in dialogs with many people of many different doctrinal variances. All have valid arguments and defences for what they believe. We can maturly discuss all such matters with love, knowing that our goal isn't to "sell" our doctrinal beliefs. The faith journey is a personal path. There are the bare essentials and the question filled minor elements.

I can tell you this, though: whenever I encounter someone who has it in their mind that they are "right" and everyone else with a differing opinion, or a legitimate question or confusion, is wrong (or rather an idiot or stupid), they get shut off and are unintentionally mde to feel unwelcome in discussion.

Be in love.

<3

Is it more fruitful to be correct, or to be in the word studying many different view points?

Friend of I AM
Sep 25th 2007, 01:45 PM
Interesting opinions thus far. Recently for myself edification has seemed to be more of a dividing process - as oppossed to a uniting one. I've found that I've had to really look at some of the core things that I've grown up believing, and re-analyze them to see if they truly coincide with scripture.

Sometimes my tone may come across as brusque/coarse in doing so. Some of this is probably because I've been under a lot of pressure as of late - which has really tested my faith. I'll have to pray to God to have patience with me as well as give me more patience with him and others in the light of a lot of uncontollable circumstances right now.

Saved7
Sep 25th 2007, 02:29 PM
Ive honestly found that in my past I sought Gods wisdom and understanding just so I could be intellectually stimulated or join in or add to worthy and even unworthy conversations.
Or even so I could pluck the splinter from my fellows eye.
These were my reasons and motivations for seeking knowledge from God after my salvation was assured.

Now I find my self lately (like this weekend lately) I've been seeking this same knowledge of my God but, for one and only one reason and motivation.
To know and understand my God who loves me and who suffers patiently for His creation, since I started approaching my growing in knowledge of Him this way He allowed me to really start growing not just in intellect but in the likeness of Him.
By Him letting me see Him in His glory and in all of His other attributes I receive that same glory and those same attributes more and more and, I am finally finding all of the things I've been lacking spiritually because now I seek Him for my perfection and holiness rather than for my intellectual knowledge to puff myself up before my fellows.

So now my seeking is preparing me for a restoration and I wont stop to pluck any splinters from my fellows until Gods glory and separated holiness in me removes the tree in my own eye.
After the tree is gone I wont have to worry about my reasons and motives. I'll just start plucking away in Spirit and in power that He provided, and not provided by my own intellect.

God bless you.

Amen.
And it is in this state that we find we are FAR less confrontational. While yes we love the truth, we also are filled with HIS love and compassion, so people are more willing to hear the truth from us. Making it much easier to share the truth, because they ask.:pp
At times you will still run into those who just want to butt heads and attack your beliefs. But in those cases I have found that my reaction is much different than it used to be...I realize that I don't have to prove anything, just answer, and sometimes I don't even have to answer the person, just let them know that they are free to believe what they wish, however that doesn't change the truth.;)

DPMartin
Sep 26th 2007, 12:05 AM
thank you Lord for this topic
may the Lord bless you all

Walked
Amen

Friend of I am

It is true that one can get caught up in speaking the Truth and expecting others to respond with an amen, but most of the time that’s not the case.

It is also true that the meat of the Word is to be offered with salt as in we are to be the salt of the earth.

But never ever let yourselves be deterred from STANDING IN THE TRUTH. Always take the side with Jesus no matter what.

Lev:2:
11: No meat offering, which ye shall bring unto the LORD, shall be made with leaven: for ye shall burn no leaven, nor any honey, in any offering of the LORD made by fire.
12: As for the oblation of the firstfruits, ye shall offer them unto the LORD: but they shall not be burnt on the altar for a sweet savour.
13: And every oblation of thy meat offering shalt thou season with salt; neither shalt thou suffer the salt of the covenant of thy God to be lacking from thy meat offering: with all thine offerings thou shalt offer salt.

Note in verse 11 leaven and honey are unacceptable in the meat offering (the meat of the Word) most Holy. It has been my thankful experience in dealing with the leaven of church or religious leadership, (as in dog pack mentality of I dominate you and you subject yourself to me else you are not servant of the Lord) this leaven is killing the effectiveness of God’s church. Also the honey, there are those always throwing sugar to make everything sweet and feel good rather then the feeding of the meat of the Word (with salt). The daily bread as we are instructed to pray for in the Lord’s prayer. There are many that don’t take a liking to some one that the Lord reveals His Word through and it’s not them, do to there position, or it is not a feel good. So they become belligerent and deliberate to avoid the Truth. As the Lord Jesus has warned beware of the leaven of the pharisees. What is the salt? The salt keeps the meat so that it is safe to eat.

walked
Sep 26th 2007, 01:11 AM
thank you Lord for this topic
may the Lord bless you all

Walked
Amen

Friend of I am

It is true that one can get caught up in speaking the Truth and expecting others to respond with an amen, but most of the time that’s not the case.

It is also true that the meat of the Word is to be offered with salt as in we are to be the salt of the earth.

But never ever let yourselves be deterred from STANDING IN THE TRUTH. Always take the side with Jesus no matter what.

Lev:2:
11: No meat offering, which ye shall bring unto the LORD, shall be made with leaven: for ye shall burn no leaven, nor any honey, in any offering of the LORD made by fire.
12: As for the oblation of the firstfruits, ye shall offer them unto the LORD: but they shall not be burnt on the altar for a sweet savour.
13: And every oblation of thy meat offering shalt thou season with salt; neither shalt thou suffer the salt of the covenant of thy God to be lacking from thy meat offering: with all thine offerings thou shalt offer salt.

Note in verse 11 leaven and honey are unacceptable in the meat offering (the meat of the Word) most Holy. It has been my thankful experience in dealing with the leaven of church or religious leadership, (as in dog pack mentality of I dominate you and you subject yourself to me else you are not servant of the Lord) this leaven is killing the effectiveness of God’s church. Also the honey, there are those always throwing sugar to make everything sweet and feel good rather then the feeding of the meat of the Word (with salt). The daily bread as we are instructed to pray for in the Lord’s prayer. There are many that don’t take a liking to some one that the Lord reveals His Word through and it’s not them, do to there position, or it is not a feel good. So they become belligerent and deliberate to avoid the Truth. As the Lord Jesus has warned beware of the leaven of the pharisees. What is the salt? The salt keeps the meat so that it is safe to eat.
I'm sorry for going off topic here for a moment but,
Thank you I've always considered salt to be used as a preservative when used in scripture until someone pointed out that it is used in scripture to point to its use to flavor or gracefully present something.
So you presenting salt also being used to preserve/keep the meat offering from spoiling, places salt with a dual function, that includes my previous understanding of it when used in scripture.

Mograce2U
Sep 26th 2007, 03:22 AM
Speaking of salt, does anyone have any light on these verses?

(Lev 2:13 KJV) And every oblation of thy meat offering shalt thou season with salt; neither shalt thou suffer the salt of the covenant of thy God to be lacking from thy meat offering: with all thine offerings thou shalt offer salt.

(Num 18:19 KJV) All the heave offerings of the holy things, which the children of Israel offer unto the LORD, have I given thee, and thy sons and thy daughters with thee, by a statute for ever: it is a covenant of salt for ever before the LORD unto thee and to thy seed with thee.

(2 Chr 13:5 KJV) Ought ye not to know that the LORD God of Israel gave the kingdom over Israel to David for ever, even to him and to his sons by a covenant of salt?

walked
Sep 26th 2007, 05:04 PM

(Lev 2:13 KJV) And every oblation of thy meat offering shalt thou season with salt; neither shalt thou suffer the salt of the covenant of thy God to be lacking from thy meat offering: with all thine offerings thou shalt offer salt.

(Num 18:19 KJV) All the heave offerings of the holy things, which the children of Israel offer unto the LORD, have I given thee, and thy sons and thy daughters with thee, by a statute for ever: it is a covenant of salt for ever before the LORD unto thee and to thy seed with thee.

(2 Chr 13:5 KJV) Ought ye not to know that the LORD God of Israel gave the kingdom over Israel to David for ever, even to him and to his sons by a covenant of salt?

Those are the scriptures that lead me to believe salt was used as a preservative in these references.
And then if I apply that to we (called out ones) are to be salt to the earth, then I take it as we are to preserve the earth from Gods wrath in His righteous judgment by being salt to the earth until Christ Jesus returns.
kinda like Christ now is intercessor in heaven for the called out ones on earth.
The called out ones on earth are intercessor's to heaven above for our unredeemed fellows on earth.

Frances
Sep 26th 2007, 05:18 PM
Of course you are going to offend...so did John the Baptist and Jesus, and Paul. God's Word is going to offend the world, and even some Christians.

We should speak the truth in love, but never compromise the truth.

I agree. Also, what some regard as objectionable 'confrontation' may well be you confronting their error with God's Truth - so ask Him first what you should say and how you should say it.

Mograce2U
Sep 26th 2007, 05:35 PM
Those are the scriptures that lead me to believe salt was used as a preservative in these references.
And then if I apply that to we (called out ones) are to be salt to the earth, then I take it as we are to preserve the earth from Gods wrath in His righteous judgment by being salt to the earth until Christ Jesus returns.
kinda like Christ now is intercessor in heaven for the called out ones on earth.
The called out ones on earth are intercessor's to heaven above for our unredeemed fellows on earth.Hi Walked,
What is interesting is that we are now called to have this salt in ourselves. This covenantal salt which salted the sacrifices also made them tasty to eat. We are to be gracious and loving to others and also grounded in truth. This is perhaps how our words are to be found tasty to others so that they can be easily entreated (eaten). I am musing here...

walked
Sep 26th 2007, 06:09 PM
Hi Walked,
What is interesting is that we are now called to have this salt in ourselves. This covenantal salt which salted the sacrifices also made them tasty to eat. We are to be gracious and loving to others and also grounded in truth. This is perhaps how our words are to be found tasty to others so that they can be easily entreated (eaten). I am musing here...

Hi and, thank you

That makes allot of sense to me and completely jives with all of Gods word.
I really do think though that salt when use in scriptures has a dual meaning of (grace to flavor and as a preservative).

God bless you.

Brother Mark
Sep 26th 2007, 07:15 PM

Hey Robin. A covenant of salt is indicative of an eternal covenant. God's promise to David about his kingdom was an eternal covenant.

In the NT, we are also told that salt is grace (see Col.). All eternal covenants by God are the result of grace. We can only be at peace with another (have salt within yourselves) as long as we walk in grace. We are the salt of the earth, the flavoring of life. Life without grace has no flavoring. We are to bring the grace we have and present it to the world. Then stand ready to answer for the hope that is within us.

There are some interesting threads on salt.

Another side note... some teach that the Hebrews would make a covenant of salt by exchanging a pinch of salt from their bags and putting it in the others bags. The only way the covenant could be undone is if each removed his salt and only his salt from the other's bag. Unfortunately, I have been unable to verify this teaching.

DPMartin
Sep 26th 2007, 11:27 PM
On the subject of salt I believe what is being said here is correct, or at the least on the right track.

Mograce2U (I like that)
"We are to be gracious and loving to others and also grounded in truth."
Tho we are to stand on the Word, and stand fast at times, the issue of meekness or humbleness always seems to arise especially when others may accuse you of the lack of meekness or humbleness when one stands in boldness of the Spirit of Truth.

If I may impart on you all, that which the Lord has pined me down on lately. One subject seemingly rarely discussed in christian circles is trespass and what is trespass. The Lord throttled me with; Who has all the power? Who has the power to make you breath, see, hear, think, feel, observe, do that which one does in a day, so on so forth. Any power that is, if one thinks it to be his own, has trespassed against God. For it is given, and yet is His. If you trespass on your neighbor’s property tho he may think it is his but it's God who gave him the power to dominate that property. Not only would you be disrespecting the owner but also God who gave it.
Jesus walked without trespassing, especially when the powers that be were about to crucify Him. For it was given to them by His Father in Heaven, and He would in no way disrespect that.
So in this, I understand humility in Christ. We belong to God and with God and we are not of the world which is given to others, tho all that world is belongs to God. Does that make any sense at all?

walked
Sep 27th 2007, 08:09 AM
On the subject of salt I believe what is being said here is correct, or at the least on the right track.

Mograce2U (I like that)
"We are to be gracious and loving to others and also grounded in truth."
Tho we are to stand on the Word, and stand fast at times, the issue of meekness or humbleness always seems to arise especially when others may accuse you of the lack of meekness or humbleness when one stands in boldness of the Spirit of Truth.

If I may impart on you all, that which the Lord has pined me down on lately. One subject seemingly rarely discussed in christian circles is trespass and what is trespass. The Lord throttled me with; Who has all the power? Who has the power to make you breath, see, hear, think, feel, observe, do that which one does in a day, so on so forth. Any power that is, if one thinks it to be his own, has trespassed against God. For it is given, and yet is His. If you trespass on your neighbor’s property tho he may think it is his but it's God who gave him the power to dominate that property. Not only would you be disrespecting the owner but also God who gave it.
Jesus walked without trespassing, especially when the powers that be were about to crucify Him. For it was given to them by His Father in Heaven, and He would in no way disrespect that.
So in this, I understand humility in Christ. We belong to God and with God and we are not of the world which is given to others, tho all that world is belongs to God. Does that make any sense at all?
It makes allot of sense to me friend!
Look at the heavens the sun, the moon and the stars they don't trespass they stay in their own orbits and do the ordained functions God spake them to do and they don't trespass out of their ordained functions. Look at the beast of the field and the birds in the air, has anyone seen them trespass out of their ordained function or positions as spoken by God.
I have only seen man do this under all of heaven only man trespasses from the position God gave to him,
in pride man adds to his own position by lifting himself up above the position God has given him or even sheds the position and cowers to below the position God has given him, those are trespasses away from our position God has given us.

A new man in Christ has been given by the price Christ paid authority over spiritual powers in our world, this power doesn't give us authority over our fellows on earth but authority over the powers and principalities of the spirits in our world, and we trespass if we try to lord anything over any man....
ps: right Brother Mark ?

DPMartin
Sep 28th 2007, 01:52 AM
Walked

Thanks, some times it is difficult to tell if I’m articulating in a way that can be understood by others.

Bless the Holy Jesus for His freedom and Grace.

walked
Sep 28th 2007, 02:00 AM
Walked

Thanks, some times it is difficult to tell if I’m articulating in a way that can be understood by others.

Bless the Holy Jesus for His freedom and Grace.

amen to that, I think it happens to all or most of us anyway.

God bless you.

Friend of I AM
Dec 18th 2007, 11:29 AM
Over the past several days I've been wrestling with myself over why I post here - particularly since as of late it seems as though I'm getting in more debates over topics as oppossed to making peace with people. It's interesting as to how my conscience/feelings initally convicted me of doing something wrong in posting various stances on subjects - and being confrontational. I began the process of self condemnation upon receiving these feelings - pulling up scripture verses in the process of self condemnation. However, upon coming back to my computer and the Word of God after several minutes - I remembered that I had created this thread some time ago. I also heard a quiet voice in my head say "Don't trust your feelings Trust the word of God" - This also brought me to this verse -

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

So once again, I bring this topic back up in hopes to get some clarity from everyone on what edification exactly means to them - and what is the best way to go about presenting Truth to the body of believers as brothers and sisters in Christ.

Mograce2U
Dec 18th 2007, 05:30 PM
Over the past several days I've been wrestling with myself over why I post here - particularly since as of late it seems as though I'm getting in more debates over topics as oppossed to making peace with people. It's interesting as to how my conscience/feelings initally convicted me of doing something wrong in posting various stances on subjects - and being confrontational. I began the process of self condemnation upon receiving these feelings - pulling up scripture verses in the process of self condemnation. However, upon coming back to my computer and the Word of God after several minutes - I remembered that I had created this thread some time ago. I also heard a quiet voice in my head say "Don't trust your feelings Trust the word of God" - This also brought me to this verse -

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

So once again, I bring this topic back up in hopes to get some clarity from everyone on what edification exactly means to them - and what is the best way to go about presenting Truth to the body of believers as brothers and sisters in Christ.
(Rom 15:1-7 KJV) We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves. {2} Let every one of us please his neighbour for his good to edification. {3} For even Christ pleased not himself; but, as it is written, The reproaches of them that reproached thee fell on me. {4} For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope. {5} Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus: {6} That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. {7} Wherefore receive ye one another, as Christ also received us to the glory of God.

(2 Tim 3:16-17 KJV) All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: {17} That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

A quick word search on "edif*" in Quickverse brings up lots of good passages, but I think these 2 are a good summary of what our ministry to one another is about. Not only does the word of God bring us comfort and hope but it also corrects, instructs and provides the needed evidence to bring conviction (reproof) of error. I think we are to be about keeping one another in the unity of the faith - snatching them out of the fire if need be, because of the sin that defiles us.

Engaging one another about the truth that has been revealed to us is not just an exercise of the mind but also of the heart. And yet sin can harden our hearts to truth so that it seems harsh and judgmental to the one whose mind has not (yet) been trained by it.

So in our attempt to build one another up in the faith, we must also be quick to forgive those who are brought to repentance, so that the hardness of sin will not be their downfall. The expression of our love for one another ought always to have this goal in mind because we are not ignorant of the devices of our enemy who tries to turn us away from following our Lord.

Friend of I AM
Dec 18th 2007, 05:47 PM
(Rom 15:1-7 KJV) We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves. {2} Let every one of us please his neighbour for his good to edification. {3} For even Christ pleased not himself; but, as it is written, The reproaches of them that reproached thee fell on me. {4} For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope. {5} Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus: {6} That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. {7} Wherefore receive ye one another, as Christ also received us to the glory of God.

(2 Tim 3:16-17 KJV) All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: {17} That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

A quick word search on "edif*" in Quickverse brings up lots of good passages, but I think these 2 are a good summary of what our ministry to one another is about. Not only does the word of God bring us comfort and hope but it also corrects, instructs and provides the needed evidence to bring conviction (reproof) of error. I think we are to be about keeping one another in the unity of the faith - snatching them out of the fire if need be, because of the sin that defiles us.

Engaging one another about the truth that has been revealed to us is not just an exercise of the mind but also of the heart. And yet sin can harden our hearts to truth so that it seems harsh and judgmental to the one whose mind has not (yet) been trained by it.

So in our attempt to build one another up in the faith, we must also be quick to forgive those who are brought to repentance, so that the hardness of sin will not be their downfall. The expression of our love for one another ought always to have this goal in mind because we are not ignorant of the devices of our enemy who tries to turn us away from following our Lord.

Good points. My problem has always been on the oversensitivity/passivity side when it comes to edification. Sometimes I think people go a bit overboard though in regards to being a bit insensitive to others, likewise people sometimes get a bit overly passive at times when trying to present the truth. I'm reminded of the prophets of early Israel such as Eziekiel, Isaiah, Elijah, etc. Even the NT Apostles could be rather blunt guys at times.

Mograce2U
Dec 18th 2007, 05:59 PM
Good points. My problem has always been on the oversensitivity/passivity side when it comes to edification. Sometimes I think people go a bit overboard though in regards to being a bit insensitive to others, likewise people sometimes get a bit overly passive at times when trying to present the truth. I'm reminded of the prophets of early Israel such as Eziekiel, Isaiah, Elijah, etc. Even the NT Apostles could be rather blunt guys at times.I suppose its not unlike your role of a father when you have to correct your son. The goal must be repentance at which point (and not before), you can forgive him.

We seem to have this process backwards in these days, because the world wants us to be soft on sin and show greater tolerance towards it. But correction must be given before comfort if repentance is to be achieved. We cannot be in true unity until we agree with God.

Friend of I AM
Dec 18th 2007, 06:13 PM
I suppose its not unlike your role of a father when you have to correct your son. The goal must be repentance at which point (and not before), you can forgive him.

We seem to have this process backwards in these days, because the world wants us to be soft on sin and show greater tolerance towards it. But correction must be given before comfort if repentance is to be achieved. We cannot be in true unity until we agree with God.

True. With my son in terms of correction, I try not to do it as much now as he gets older - or at least for every little thing he does wrong - as it does seem to come across moreso as nagging then it does edifying. Give him room to make mistakes, if he slips - I'll be their to pick him up. Not easy though, particularly being a single parent. My patience level at times is always on the low ebb after I come in from work too..so it definitely makes it hard.

Regarding your other point - truth has been mixed with so much error though nowadays. If one is truly seeking it, it can be quite frustrating to search for it or even present what they've learned without feeling a sense of trepadation for not agreeing with the majority stance on something. Egoism and pride can get mixed into the fray a lot as well. Sometimes though brashness or assertiveness can be mistaken for pride though, when that really isn't the attention. If you look at the Lord when he spoke with confidence, many today would take him to be arrogant. We know this not the case, as we know what true humilty represents, but it just goes to show you how human emotion really needs to put on the backburner at times when being spirit lead to say something.

MMC
Dec 18th 2007, 06:24 PM

Hi Friend! :)
I'm glad you posted this thread....I've been thinking alot about this topic lately too. I also wondered why I post here? Your first post asked about passive vs. confrontational...for me, I'm naturally confrontational....and when I started examining my posts, and where and in which threads I was posting, I realized they were all controversial. I started to realize there was something of pride involved there...and so lately I've been "lurking and learning" and keeping my trap shut more. I think some folks are more confrontational, and it is edifying, and for others to be passive is edifying. Does that even make any sense at all???

Now I only give advice or instruction if a) I have some personal experience with it, b) I've spent time reflecting on whether I ought to post, c) I've spent time reflecting on how I ought to say it, and most importantly d) I feel led by the Spirit (and not my own ego) to do it. This approach has shut me up on more than one occasion. (I've been shocked, actually, at how much it has shut me up.....kinda scary how often I spout without thinking/praying about it first!) :eek:

Seems to me, anyway, that the more I focus on just knowing my Lord, the less my mouth becomes a problem. When my heart is set on Him first, He sometimes just puts the right words where they need to be at the right time. (And, as I'm learning, sometimes the "right words" are silence.)

Thanks for the cite to Proverbs. It's perfect.

Friend of I AM
Dec 18th 2007, 06:30 PM
Hi Friend! :)
I'm glad you posted this thread....I've been thinking alot about this topic lately too. I also wondered why I post here? Your first post asked about passive vs. confrontational...for me, I'm naturally confrontational....and when I started examining my posts, and where and in which threads I was posting, I realized they were all controversial. I started to realize there was something of pride involved there...and so lately I've been "lurking and learning" and keeping my trap shut more. I think some folks are more confrontational, and it is edifying, and for others to be passive is edifying. Does that even make any sense at all???

Now I only give advice or instruction if a) I have some personal experience with it, b) I've spent time reflecting on whether I ought to post, c) I've spent time reflecting on how I ought to say it, and most importantly d) I feel led by the Spirit (and not my own ego) to do it. This approach has shut me up on more than one occasion. (I've been shocked, actually, at how much it has shut me up.....kinda scary how often I spout without thinking/praying about it first!) :eek:

Seems to me, anyway, that the more I focus on just knowing my Lord, the less my mouth becomes a problem. When my heart is set on Him first, He sometimes just puts the right words where they need to be at the right time. (And, as I'm learning, sometimes the "right words" are silence.)

Thanks for the cite to Proverbs. It's perfect.

You know I'd probably be a completely silent man if I prayed everytime I'd come here..you'd never know my presence...;) Seriously Good stuff above.

MMC
Dec 18th 2007, 06:31 PM
It can be both, can't it?

Friend of I AM
Dec 18th 2007, 06:37 PM
It can be both, can't it?

Sorry I was praying...:) Yeah it can be both.

MMC
Dec 18th 2007, 06:38 PM
You know I'd probably be a completely silent man if I prayed everytime I'd come here..you'd never know my presence...;) Seriously Good stuff above.

LOL! I hear ya! My problem now is I'm not talking, so I'm not gettin to chat it up with my new e-friends! So I went over to the "Nothing" thread and started posting there! ROFL! :lol:

Mograce2U
Dec 18th 2007, 06:43 PM
You know I'd probably be a completely silent man if I prayed everytime I'd come here..you'd never know my presence...;) Seriously Good stuff above.I think it is wise to choose your "battles". But silence is for before the Lord - not men who try to lead others astray! The sons of God are to be made manifest in the world and they are to watch out for the brethren. We have not been given a dumb spirit but wisdom from above which the world knows not. Salt and light for a world that is succumbed in darkness.

(Luke 11:34-36 KJV) The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness. {35} Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness. {36} If thy whole body therefore be full of light, having no part dark, the whole shall be full of light, as when the bright shining of a candle doth give thee light.

That light which we have of the knowledge of Christ ought to be burning brighter and brighter as the day approaches - when the Daystar rises in our hearts.

The job of the priests of God was to keep the lamps in the temple lit!

MMC
Dec 18th 2007, 06:47 PM
I think it is wise to choose your "battles". But silence is for before the Lord - not men who try to lead others astray! The sons of God are to be made manifest in the world and they are to watch out for the brethren. We have not been given a dumb spirit but wisdom from above which the world knows not. Salt and light for a world that is succumbed in darkness.

(Luke 11:34-36 KJV) The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness. {35} Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness. {36} If thy whole body therefore be full of light, having no part dark, the whole shall be full of light, as when the bright shining of a candle doth give thee light.

That light which we have of the knowledge of Christ ought to be burning brighter and brighter as the day approaches - when the Daystar rises in our hearts.

The job of the priests of God was to keep the lamps in the temple lit!

MoGrace...I agree completely. But the blind ought not lead the blind, either. I think that's kinda what I meant by silence and confrontation *both* being edifying. Which is called for will depend on the people involved and situation at hand.

Friend of I AM
Dec 18th 2007, 06:50 PM
I think it is wise to choose your "battles". But silence is for before the Lord - not men who try to lead others astray! The sons of God are to be made manifest in the world and they are to watch out for the brethren. We have not been given a dumb spirit but wisdom from above which the world knows not. Salt and light for a world that is succumbed in darkness.

The job of the priests of God was to keep the candles in the temple lit!

You're right Mo, it's just fun to play around sometimes. To lighten up the mood a bit, and not take ourselves too seriously - I think edification can also be brought on through laughter, something that Jesus often did with his disciples, as well as with those who were not of him. This verse always makes me laugh...

1 Corinthians 1:20-25
For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. For indeed Jews ask for signs and Greeks search for wisdom; But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

MMC
Dec 18th 2007, 07:02 PM
I love laughter! :)

MMC
Dec 18th 2007, 07:04 PM
Sorry I was praying...:) Yeah it can be both.

For example...this is funny! :lol:

Friend of I AM
Dec 18th 2007, 07:10 PM
Glad you liked it. I try. But umm..we probably should get back to the topic though...:D Thanks for your input thus far.

Friend of I AM
Dec 18th 2007, 07:16 PM
I wonder how Paul felt saying that line? Consider this - all of the stuff he had learned and then to call it all foolishness. This is coming from a man who was extremely educated. The Lord must have bestowed upon him an incredible amount of his grace and humility. To me though - Paul really exemplifies the pinnacle of what it means to be edified during the Christian walk. The man was constantly being humbled. I'm sure there were times in his life where He wasn't sure if he was going to make it to the end. I feel much like Paul, often times in my walk.

MMC
Dec 18th 2007, 07:29 PM
I wonder how Paul felt saying that line? Consider this - all of the stuff he had learned and then to call it all foolishness. This is coming from a man who was extremely educated. The Lord must have bestowed upon him an incredible amount of his grace and humility. To me though - Paul really exemplifies the pinnacle of what it means to be edified during the Christian walk. The man was constantly being humbled. I'm sure there were times in his life where He wasn't sure if he was going to make it to the end. I feel much like Paul, often times in my walk.

Paul's humility has always amazed me (second only, of course, to Christ's...what forebearance that the Creator should suffer the creature to spit upon him!...). What strikes me about your reference to Paul, is that he was both humble AND bold in his preaching.

Tying back into the original topic of this thread, I do not think I would describe Paul as "passive" in the slightest - (he was anything but!) - but somehow in his boldness of preaching, in his confrontation, he remained HUMBLE.

There is something about being both bold in Christ and humble at the same time that seems to elude me. I recognize when I see it in others, but have such a hard time walking that line myself....

And then I wonder if maybe its because I still have so much to learn, and therefore should be silent. I dunno.....

MMC
Dec 18th 2007, 07:43 PM
Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. - James 3:1

Coffeebeaned just posted this in the "Call to Honor" thread, and I thought it appropriate for this one as well....silence might be appropriate (and edifying) for someone like me, who still has much to learn, and entirely inappropriate (and not edifying) for one who is called to lead.

I think it appropriate, for someone like you, Friend, to be bold in your posts on these boards and to state with conviction that which you know to be true from scripture. And as Paul demonstrates, it can be done with real humility. As Mo said, confrontation is appropriate in some situations.

Maybe that spark of conviction, or feeling guilty about prior "debates" on these boards, is just the prodding of the Spirit on the issue of humility (not passivity)?

And what about this: One can be silent and not be passive. There are times when silence speaks louder than words and may do more to guide a brother or sister than any words ever could.

(This is a great thread, BTW).

Amazedgrace21
Dec 18th 2007, 07:44 PM
Jerome says in his commentary on Galatians that the aged apostle John was so frail in his final days at Ephesus that he had to be carried into the church. One phrase constantly on his lips:

"My little children, love one another."

Asked why he always said this, he replied, "It is the Lords command, and if this alone be done, it is enough."

John focused upon love as a critical part of everything he taught and was the dominent theme of his theology and yet his love never slid into indulgent sentimentality and he was also a true "son of thunder' as the defender of the truth,lost none of hisintolerance for lies, rallied against errant Christologies, against ant-Christian deceptions, against sin and against immorality.

So perhaps the Lord knew the most powerful advocates of love need to be a people who never compromise the truth. John certainly learned this from Christ, that love fulfills the law..and was the centerpiece he was most concerned with.

Some of the interesting and amazing points of John's life is how he found the balance and went from being a man who wanted to burn up the Samaritans, was obsessed with status and position to the very model of Christ from how Jesus 'loved' him.

Its very eay to become cavalier with our impetuous proclivities as young believers..so many seminary students bolt out of the gate loaded to the gills with 'truth' but shorton patience..They tend to blast into folks lives, the church and circumstances with dumping truth on them and expect some sort of vindicating response.

These are not characteristics of scriptural love at all ` patience, tolerance, mercy , grace, forgiveness, tenderness and compassion are the true marks of the humble loving servant, the characteristics of Jesus that so changed Johns life and made him a perfect vessel for Christ to use. It’s not enough to just know them in our heads; we must be able to walk them out in our lives.

We were created for God and His purposes, thus, our fulfillment in life will only come when we align ourselves with His design and His intentions.Christ-likeness isn’t about what I do for the Lord, but about how I’m being transformed into His likeness.

The Bible tells us that no matter what difficulties or what circumstances we face, we are to bear Christ’s likeness. We are to edify and encourage one another just as Jesus did, not tear each other down. God doesn’t want us to just have a revelation of Christ, He wants us to be a reflection of Christ.If for some reason a confrontation is needed, then we not only must be sensitive to the Lord’s timing in which to do it, but also the Christ-like character that it is given in. No matter what the circumstances, simply being born in the spirit at our new birth is not enough. We need to learn how to walk in the Spirit, how to show forth His Love2 and how to live His Life. We need to put in our actions what we already possess in our heart.

The Bible tells us that our purpose is to be conformed into the image of Christ so that we can glorify Him in all we do. “For whom He did foreknow, He also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of His Son.” (Romans 8:29)We are to bear witness of God’s image, not our own.

The Bible tells us that humility is the opposite of pride. A humble Christian is one who is content to know the Lord from his heart, not his head. He readily recognizes, acknowledges and confesses his sin and self; thus he is able to be filled with the Spirit and reflect Christ in all He does. A humble person will not try to draw attention to himself, but to his Lord and others. The essence of humility is always other-centeredness.

Conversely, a prideful Christian will covet all the attention he can get and do whatever he can to make a name for himself. No matter how many masks he has to put on and no matter what he must say or do, he’s committed to maintaining his own notoriety and position. Thus, he must continually keep up a facade, hide his insecurities and master his failures because he has a very difficult time acknowledging his own faults. A prideful Christian is also disappointed when someone else is praised or thanked or somehow gets the glory because, again, he covets all the attention for himself.

Unfortunately, being endowed with the image of God in our hearts (at our new birth) does not guarantee our ability to manifest that image out in our lives. In other words, being “born anew” by His Spirit does not assure us of being able to “walk by” His Spirit. Why? Because there’s a war going on in our souls. A huge war! A war between our flesh (our natural life in our soul) pulling us one way and the Spirit of God (God’s supernatural Life in our hearts) pulling us the other.

So no matter how convinced in your own mind of the justice of your cause, you must carefully listen to and weigh your brother’s argument. (This assumes of course that he doesn’t immediately agree with you and repent.) Christians have been mistaken on many occasions; therefore, you must carefully examine your brother’s case. You must consider the possibility that your accusation may be a mistake. Even if you believe that you have an open and shut case, you must give your brother a thorough opportunity to respond. “The one raising the issue must be prepared (have a mind set) to hear new evidence, and show a willingness to give his brother the benefit of the doubt. In effect, he says, ‘Here are the data that I have, now let me hear your side of the story.’”

Colossians 3:12-13: “Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering; bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do.”

Earthly brothers are held together by blood, by parentage. But Christian brothers are one in Jesus Christ, regenerated and brought together by the Spirit of God. Our relationship to each other is spiritual, permanent and is a public testimony of our commitment to Jesus Christ. His model is sufficientin respect to how to discuss and share concerns or participate in discussions..

if one finds themselves merely being a conductor of how to conform others differences into pleasing their preferential styles of accomondating "them", then this is completely inappropriate and has nothing to do with the truth or remotely scriptural..one has only to observe a persona such as Fred Phelps..He would suggest that the only reason folks are offended by him is because they hate the truth

There is a time for speaking and a time for listening..there is never a time the truth should not be advocated but at no time should the truth be used to conform another to Christ's truth among the community of the body of Christ before one has been conformed by the love of Christ so that the truth actually accomplishes the purposes of edification..

if Christ is not represented in the walk, the truth can not be presented in the talk. False humility is something I often see substituted for pride too often..when others waltz in with all kinds of council to establish a relationship 'for them' opposed to be used by Christ to provide a fertile soil for evangelism and allow the Holy Spirit to work through them to do this.

Scripturally, perhaps when the reality of Christ is introduced into a relationship of love and trust that has been established, only then will the effect of what we set out to accomplish teaching others about Christs heart and His word will be best served after our own heart has been prepared by Christ and can be used to help others lives be transformed to glorify Christ. Not all firey enthusiasm is about devotion, not all devotion translates into love, Judas used a kiss to betray Christ...often we need to allow time to be established as a classroom where God prepares us with life eperiences that are relevent to how He will use us to serve him..we needed maturity and refinement to help teach us how much we have yet to learn.

Christ taught something quite different both in his words and His actions..to win hearts one at a time requires a heart that loves others as much as it loves the truth..He desires servants, first and foremost subjected to the influence of the Holy Spirit filled with passion for the Fathers glory..the power of Gods word will accomplish that and the power of Christ's love being emulated in and from us, to deliver this message will testify for the truth of the message...the glory should always go to God..and what a gift of a lesson to give another.

like Peter we sometimes need to learn that we can not trust our own resolve when it comes to much..but we can always trust the character of Christ. Christ was willing to submit Himself to washing other's feet to teach us how to serve others..what true ,loving and humble service is.Peter was a great example of someone who's life summed up what he learned to be able to be used by Christ to be the rock that Christ built his Church upon.:hug:

"Grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ." ( 2Peter 3:16)

YSIC,
Grace

Friend of I AM
Dec 18th 2007, 07:46 PM
Paul's humility has always amazed me (second only, of course, to Christ's...what forebearance that the Creator should suffer the creature to spit upon him!...). What strikes me about your reference to Paul, is that he was both humble AND bold in his preaching.

Tying back into the original topic of this thread, I do not think I would describe Paul as "passive" in the slightest - (he was anything but!) - but somehow in his boldness of preaching, in his confrontation, he remained HUMBLE.

There is something about being both bold in Christ and humble at the same time that seems to elude me. I recognize when I see it in others, but have such a hard time walking that line myself....

And then I wonder if maybe its because I still have so much to learn, and therefore should be silent. I dunno.....

Grace was the key with Paul. Particularly since he knew at every waking hour he was at the mercy of God and facing death daily. Perhaps in realizing this - he understood that there was nothing he could do to obtain his salvation, and came to the realization that his fate was entirely in God's hands - whether he lived or whether he died. Maybe it was kind of a liberating feeling - which allowed him to have so much power and strength in his testimonies. This is the same humility that Christ had, upon the cross - knowing that his ultimate fate also was in the hands of his Father.

MMC
Dec 18th 2007, 07:56 PM
Wow, Grace. That was beautiful. It was precisely what I needed to hear in this moment. *tears*

Friend of I AM
Dec 18th 2007, 07:58 PM
Wow, Grace. That was beautiful. It was precisely what I needed to hear in this moment. *tears*

She must have these things bookmarked or written already prepared for every forum she visits...lol no way anyone can write that fast...God stuff Grace...:)

MMC
Dec 18th 2007, 08:02 PM
...God stuff Grace...:)

Pun intended? lol

Friend of I AM
Dec 18th 2007, 09:23 PM
Pun intended? lol

No pun. It was an accident...or was it...;)

dhtraveler
Dec 18th 2007, 09:34 PM
when searching for Truth - do you believe that it is more so of a confrontational or peaceful process?

in searching for truth, I am the one who should be confronted. When teaching the truth, I am the one offering peace.

dht

Brother Mark
Dec 18th 2007, 09:35 PM

Depends. Jesus said "There are things I long to tell you, but you are not yet ready".

Many can't hear what truth some have because they are not ready for it. Why force it on them?

On the other hand, Jesus didn't back down from the pharisees.

Friend of I AM
Dec 18th 2007, 09:47 PM
Depends. Jesus said "There are things I long to tell you, but you are not yet ready".

Many can't hear what truth some have because they are not ready for it. Why force it on them?

On the other hand, Jesus didn't back down from the pharisees.

True, in hearing the Truth though - often times it's a liberating feeling. It sets us free, but at the same time it can **** us off...;) I think people at times get a bit oversensitive though regarding what they hear. We often times can take ourselves a bit to seriously, to the point where we forget to just enjoy the moment - accept a bit of rebuke and correction - and just Love one another.

To be quite honest, it's a good thing the Lord put me in this particular time period to get to know him, if I had grown up with him during the time in which he lived - I probably would have been one of those Pharisee guys. Thank God I was born a Gentile and during this period of time - I would have been worse than the apostle Paul before the time of his conversion if I had been born and educated during his time.

RoadWarrior
Dec 18th 2007, 10:34 PM

Hi Stephen,

I think that wrestling indicates growth and a place of new maturity in you. It's a good thing.

Concerning debates, I don't usually see a great deal of benefit in them, so I avoid it as much as possible. I am willing to discuss, if it can be done in a friendly fashion, but the back and forth arguments are extremely tiring, IMO.

Edification - an interesting word. To edify, according to the dictionary, means to instruct, or benefit, especially to encourage moral, spiritual or intellectual improvement.

Thus, the goal in edification is neither to bring peace nor to divide, but to gain improvement - or in my words, to gain understanding. If we are seeking to edify others, we speak because we think we have something to offer them that will be helpful. If they argue or resist, we can leave it there, because edification is lost in contentiousness. If they do not perceive the offering as helpful, then pressing the point gains nothing.

I think one of the most edifying things we can do for each other, is prayer. The Holy Spirit is a much better teacher than I am.

There is another word or phrase for that which brings about division - standing up for the faith. Sometimes we must contend earnestly for the faith, and that might result in division. But it is not a bad thing to divide from a person who is seeking to tear down the body of Christ.

From my pastor's sermon on Sunday, there are 4 levels of how to deal with spiritual (doctrinal) differences.

Die - some issues are important enough to be willing to die for - the Deity of Christ, for example.
Divide - Some issues are big enough to divide over, because the two camps have no common ground
Debate - Issues that people love to hash out over and over again, maybe it's just like going to the gym - painful exercise.
Discuss - when people are talking "past" each other, and work at it, a discussion can help to bring them to common ground.

He was teaching from 2 John, and giving us information about the problem being deal with by John, gnosticism. That, of course, is an issue to die for.

Contend earnestly for the faith, against the enemy. Nurture the children in the church, and love one another. Do not let the enemy get into the church and set up a stronghold!

Amazedgrace21
Dec 18th 2007, 11:08 PM
She must have these things bookmarked or written already prepared for every forum she visits...lol no way anyone can write that fast...God stuff Grace...:)

lol!!!..actually my reading skills are "lethal''..sort of a photographic memory..makes my head hurt sometimes yet I love to learn from others who have such special gifts for teaching subjects along these lines so I can share them.I also teach when I am feeling well so there is always much to learn in order to do this.

Thank you Friend, actually I was reading over this topic personally and studying it for a day or two and worked on my post on my notepad to 'clean it up' before posting it here as it seemd to fall under the same subject. I don't belong to any other forums and just join in here at BF when the spirit leads me to do so.

Good thread by the way..:hug:

Friend of I AM
Dec 20th 2007, 12:14 PM
in searching for truth, I am the one who should be confronted. When teaching the truth, I am the one offering peace.

dht

Good stuff. I forgot to acknowledge this. Accepting confrontation and/or rebuke should definitely be something we all become accustomed to within this walk. I think at times we can indeed get a bit too wrapped up in our sensitivities - and shirk receiving loving reburk and/or correction. Perhaps peace comes in the form of encouragement and sincerity with our testimonies.

Brother Mark
Dec 20th 2007, 02:38 PM
Stephen, sometimes it depends on how much influence one has in another's life. For instance, a best friend might speak lovingly to someone for their own benefit. But a more distant friend might not.

Often, rebuke is not done for the purpose of edification of the one being rebuked. But it should be.

Friend of I AM
Dec 20th 2007, 02:48 PM
Stephen, sometimes it depends on how much influence one has in another's life. For instance, a best friend might speak lovingly to someone for their own benefit. But a more distant friend might not.

Often, rebuke is not done for the purpose of edification of the one being rebuked. But it should be.

True. We have to pray continually about it. I think searching our motives becomes necessary, or specifically praying to God to search our motives.

Zeal without knowledge is a terrible thing...I'm sure the same thing can be said of zeal without compassion, spiritual maturity and love...