PDA

View Full Version : Exercise and Diet -- JIML

JIML
Sep 28th 2007, 10:27 PM
Well here it is, my personal thread, not sure if it'll last very long but what the heck. My current goal is to put on as much mass as possible until March and then get lean for the summer.
Stats:
Height: 6'1
Weight: 192lbs
Bodyfat: 13-15% (this is aproximation, don't have a caliper)

Workout Routine: (Yes, this is Rippetoes with slight rep scheme adjustments)

Workout A:
Squat 3x5
Deadlift 3x5
Bench 3x5
Dips 2x8-12

Workout B:
Squat 3x5
Military Press 3x5
Barbell Row 3x5
Chin-ups 2x8-12

I alternate these two workouts.

Diet: Trying to eat about 4000 kCals, although when i have a busy week i tend to get in a few hundred less.

JIML
Sep 28th 2007, 10:30 PM
Ok, today is Friday and my workout looked as follows:

Squat: 205 x5 x 5 x5
Deadlift 215 x 5 x5 x5
Bench 165 x5 x5 x4
Dips 1x12, 1x10 (0 lbs added)

Toolman
Oct 1st 2007, 03:06 PM
Looking good JIML.

Have you taken any measurements or pics? Those can help when evaluating your routine.

Looking forward to your success!

JIML
Oct 2nd 2007, 01:05 AM
Looking good JIML.

Have you taken any measurements or pics? Those can help when evaluating your routine.

Looking forward to your success!

Need to find my camera to take some pics. I'll make some later though. I figured at 6'1 and 192 lbs i'm still pretty skinny, so i just need some mass overall.

JIML
Oct 2nd 2007, 01:09 AM
Monday 10/01/07
Workout B

Squat: 210x5x5x5
Military: 110x5x5x3 (I put on 5 pounds too much but didn't notice till the end)
Bent-Over Row: 125x5x5x5
Pullups: 1x9, 1x6 (Remember two years ago at 160lbs i could do 19)
Abs: Two sets of cable crunches 87.5lbs

JIML
Oct 4th 2007, 04:29 AM
Crap... have a midterm tomorrow and a very serious one. I'm either not gonna workout today, or i'm just gonna go to my basement do a few sets of bench somewhere around midnight.

JIML
Oct 6th 2007, 12:34 AM
Well, now that the first set of midterms is behind i can focus on lifting again.
Today my workout looked as follows:

Squat: 210x5x5x5
Military: 110x5x5x5
Bent-Overs: 130x5x5x5
Chins: 1x9, 1x7

I think i need to get one of those electric grills and a rice cooker. Grilled food seems to be healthier than fried. Also i eat baked potatoes a lot, but when i cook rice in a pot it doesn't taste very good, my friend uses rice cooker though and rice tastes great.

Hoping i'll get enough sleep over the weekend, i'm gonna go to church at 11am instead of 10.

Otter77
Oct 6th 2007, 02:13 AM
Rice cookers are great... if you really need to add some taste you could also try just basic seasonings or even some soy sauce (as long as sodium isn't an issue for you).

Rice in itself though is just another starch (carb)... which you need... but be sure to keep in the lean proteins (which it sounds like you are as you describe the foreman grill concept).

Frying of course isn't a good thing in any circumstance... you're adding oil (pure fat) and stripping out nutrients!

:p

Otter77
Oct 6th 2007, 02:16 AM
oh and additionally...

I want to tell you how reassuring it is to me to read about another guy's workout who has "human"-level gains and weights, etc... Slug's old workout chart was actually very comforting to me too. I spent a number of years hanging around guys who weren't afraid to spend 2-4 hours in the gym every day AND use whatever "gear" necessary to achieve their ultimate goals. I got so sick of not being able to do things like Bench Press over 300lbs....

I'm not calling you a wimp by any means!! You're definitely very strong and stronger by far than the average guy... I just want you to know how good it feels to know that there are people here that I can actually relate to.

JIML
Oct 6th 2007, 05:48 AM
oh and additionally...

I want to tell you how reassuring it is to me to read about another guy's workout who has "human"-level gains and weights, etc... Slug's old workout chart was actually very comforting to me too. I spent a number of years hanging around guys who weren't afraid to spend 2-4 hours in the gym every day AND use whatever "gear" necessary to achieve their ultimate goals. I got so sick of not being able to do things like Bench Press over 300lbs....

I'm not calling you a wimp by any means!! You're definitely very strong and stronger by far than the average guy... I just want you to know how good it feels to know that there are people here that I can actually relate to.

Hehehe, yeah thanks for the advice and stuff. Also, i avoid soy sauce like the plague, i read that it lowers testosterone levels, and i know that it barely affects it but i don't know, i guess its the psychological thing. Im also european so i don't like soy sauce anyway.

Like i said on the "Weight Lifter Enter" thread, i've been trying to get into weightlifting/bodybuilding for a few years now, but everytime i quit for one reason or another. But this year, i'm telling you, its like i feel God is telling me that this time i will not quit. So yeah... thanks for checking out my thread though! ;)

JIML
Oct 8th 2007, 10:27 PM
Well, my weekend was a little crappy. On saturday i went to play tenis with my bros and injured my foot. However i wrapped it with elastic bendage and today it was barely hurting. Also i did drink some alcohol over the weekend which is of course not good for lifting but i haven't drank any in like a month so i need some alcohol in my blood real bad.

Anyway, my workout today looked as follows:
Squat: 215 x5x5x5
Deadlift: 220 x5x5x5 (i am experiencing a little pain in my lower back, i can't tell if its soreness or not so i might have to stop doing deadlifts some time soon)

Bench: 165 x5x5x5
Dips: 2x12

I was really happy about my bench so far, usually it took me a good 3-4 month to make this much progress.
Also happy about my other lifts, i am still progressing so it is still good, have a feeling though that plateus are coming soon so i'll have to up my calories a little.

Weighted myself on Sunday morning - 195lbs.

Otter77
Oct 9th 2007, 12:41 AM
Very cool Jim - I think you're doing awesome... you'll soon be stronger than me at 6'3" and 250lbs!

Be very cautious with that lower back - depending on your genetically predispositioned physical structure... it can often be an extremely sensitive area. Don't test it. A little soreness probably = ok... but much more than that is likely a very bad idea. You should also invest in stretching your lower back before doing heavy stuff like squats and deadlifts... there are special stretches you can do to strengthen and add flexibility to that area and it helps A LOT.

As you become an old man like me (30!) you'll begin to not be so 'bendy' in those areas unless you keep on top of the flexibility training.... PARTICULARLY as you stack on massive muscle!

Toolman
Oct 9th 2007, 12:47 AM
Only serious injury I ever had was a herniated disc in the lower back. Bad pain for over a year.

I do not do any exercises where the lower back is not in an arched position. Leg press and good mornings are 2 of the worst exercises IMO for lower back.

Deads and squats done with improper form (rounding of lower back) can also be very bad on those lower discs.

Be careful, use impeccable form (better to have good form with lighter weight than bad form with heavy weight).

Good stretching and a nice hot tub (or hot bath) are nice on that lower back also!

JIML
Oct 9th 2007, 02:33 AM
Ok, i will probably stretch before the workout. We have this special machine for stretching your back so i'll do that before every workout. Thanks guys

JIML
Oct 9th 2007, 02:42 AM
Only serious injury I ever had was a herniated disc in the lower back. Bad pain for over a year.

I do not do any exercises where the lower back is not in an arched position. Leg press and good mornings are 2 of the worst exercises IMO for lower back.

Deads and squats done with improper form (rounding of lower back) can also be very bad on those lower discs.

Be careful, use impeccable form (better to have good form with lighter weight than bad form with heavy weight).

Good stretching and a nice hot tub (or hot bath) are nice on that lower back also!

Also its not pain in the bones or anything, its like in the muscles. My mom is a doctor and she said that i might have pulled my nerve, which is nothing major but it does hurt. I will go swimming more this week, i know swimming usually helps me a lot with back problems, especially when i have pain in my neck.

JIML
Oct 10th 2007, 10:55 PM
Well i still feel pain in my back, in fact these last couple of days were pretty bad, i had hard time sleeping at night and such, i'm pretty sure now that i pulled one of my muscles in the back. I won't be doing any squats/deadlifts this week, but i'm gonna go to my basement to workout. I'll see what excercises i can do.

Otter77
Oct 11th 2007, 02:14 AM
Jim - you need gentle stretching, Ibuprofen, and Rest. It's ok to continue to work-out though as long as your mindful of not putting any pressure on your lower back for a little bit.

Toolman
Oct 11th 2007, 03:07 AM
Jim - you need gentle stretching, Ibuprofen, and Rest. It's ok to continue to work-out though as long as your mindful of not putting any pressure on your lower back for a little bit.

I agree, stay away from the squats and deads for now.

I would use some heat and massage also if you can.

JIML
Oct 12th 2007, 11:10 PM
Friday 10/12/07

Well my back is a lot better now, i can actually sleep at night hehehe.
Had a light workout today, no squats and deadlifts. Did some machine work and some preacher curls along with my bench.

Bench: 170 x5x5x5

JIML
Oct 17th 2007, 10:57 PM
Wednesday 10/17/07

Hey you guys, you know what i came up with. Since i cannot do regular squats right now because my back still hurts a little (its not bad now but i don't wanna risk it), i figured i can do one-leg squats using only my bodyweight. It turned out to be a lot harder than i thought, and on my way down the stairs i realized that it worked very well.

Other than that i did my regulard bench, dips, abs.

Bench: 175 x5x5x4
Dips: 2 x10 +10 lbs.

JIML
Oct 21st 2007, 11:43 PM
Oh, forgot to add. Friday 10/19/07

Military 115 x5x5x5
Lat Pulldowns (close grip) 155lbs x5x5x5

Toolman
Oct 22nd 2007, 01:55 PM
Looking good JIML!

Consistency is the key.

JIML
Oct 23rd 2007, 01:27 AM
Monday 10/22/07

Bench 175 x5x5x5

JIML
Oct 26th 2007, 11:04 PM
Wednesday: 24/10/07

Did the usual one leg squat thing.
Military 115 x5x4x5 (I think on the second set my grip was too narrow, making the movement a lot harder).
Pull-ups: 10, 9

Friday: 26/10/07

Bench: 180 x5x5x5 (I'm actually surprised that i can still add weight almost every workout to my bench, i guess my genetics aren't that bad after all hehehe)
Dips + 10lbs: 12, 10
Cable Row: 140x5x5x5 (doing this instead of deadlift)
Abs pulldown: 92.5 x10x10x10
One Legged squats: 3x5

JIML
Oct 29th 2007, 10:10 PM
Monday 10/29/07

Tried doing squats with 185 lbs, but still felt pain in my lower back, so i discontinued doing them. Trying doing bent-over rows but they don't feel comfortable either.

Military: 115 x5x5x5 this felt pretty good today, i read up on the technique and grip so i felt better when doing these.
Pull-Ups: 2 x10

JIML
Oct 31st 2007, 10:18 PM
Wednesday 10/31/07
Had to do a quick workout because i had to study.
Bench: 185 x5x5x4 (185 x5 is my new personal record!!!)
Dips +10lbs: 12, 11

JIML
Nov 2nd 2007, 10:20 PM
Friday 11/2/07

Military: 120 x5x5x3
Chin-ups: 11, 10

*Did some abs stuff and single leg squats

Ok, I think i will take the next week off from training, i think my body could use some recovery. This week, even though i performed well in the gym, i felt like i need some rest. Also my right elbow has been a little sensitive lately, its not pain, its like a feeling of my nerve getting jammed or something, like my arm gets a little numb. SO i think taking a week off would be good for me since i've been lifting non-stop for like 2 1/2 month now.

So Toolman and Otter, what i need from you guys is to come here in a week, and if i'm not posting - you guys should kick my butt!!!

Toolman
Nov 2nd 2007, 10:56 PM
So Toolman and Otter, what i need from you guys is to come here in a week, and if i'm not posting - you guys should kick my butt!!!

All right!!!

I'm on the job :)

JIML
Nov 14th 2007, 12:44 AM
Hey guys, i haven't posted yet, because i got a little sick over the weekend, so i haven't worked out yet, but i'm planning on going tomorrow if i feel alright.

Otter77
Nov 14th 2007, 02:40 PM
do it!!!

(tomorrow, but only if you feel good)... it's not worth hurting yourself.

I've actually mostly got back on-board in the last few weeks except for this week which I've been taking off because I screwed-up my elbow this weekend somehow.... *argh!*

JIML
Nov 16th 2007, 11:19 PM
Worked out today, i did get a little weaker from sickness, but this time it wasn't bad.

Bench: 180 x5x5x3
Dips: x12x12

Did some abs work.

My elbow didn't hurt so that was good too.

JIML
Nov 20th 2007, 12:31 AM
Monday 11/19/07

Military 120 x5x5x4 <-------back on track!!! :pp
Chin-ups: Two sets of 10
One-legged squats: Three sets of 5

Did some curls too, but that doesn't count. My back doesn't seem to hurt anymore but this time i'll wait till Christmas to start doing squats/deads again because i don't want to injure it again. Also my diet took a big blow over the last 2 weeks, particularly because of exams and sickness so i'll have to get it fixed may be over the thanks-givin break.

ericodera
Nov 21st 2007, 10:57 PM
Good progress Jiml. I have incorporated something like this whenever I've felt like shocking my muscles and getting that extra pump:

Warm up:Functional Stretches:5 minutes
Warm up:95lbs Barbells squats 2*10
-135lbs Barbell squats 2*10
Machine leg exts:2*10 at 55%
3 mins break.

Superset: Leg extension negatives *75% to failure followed by Machine Hack squats*10, at 75%
5 mins break
Superset # 2: Leg extension negatives*85% to failure followed by Machine
Hack Squats*12 at 85%.

Deadlifts:4*10 at 75%, 75%, 85% and 85%

Machine leg presses:4*10 @ 65%, 65%, 75%, 85% and 85%

Dumbell heavy Sumo Squats:5*10 at 65%, 65%, 75%, 75%

P.s: This is a heavy workout, so you probably want to do it say on a Friday afternoon giving you enough time to recover throughout the weekend.

Blessings,
Eric Odera

JIML
Nov 22nd 2007, 04:25 AM
Hey bro, thanks for posting on my thread. First of all i am really pro free weights and anti machines, i understand that machines have their use too, in fact i use them whenever recovering from an injury, but its just something about free weights that i love. I'm assuming you did not read my earlier posts, but i injured my back recently so i am avoiding any type of squats or deadlifts for now.

JIML
Nov 26th 2007, 02:24 AM
Had a really busy day on wednesday so i didn't work out.
Friday 11/23/07

Bench: 185x5, 180x5x5
Dips + 10lbs: x12x12

Did some abs too and triceps.

Probably need like one more week to get where i was before getting sick. Also my died was a mess over the Thanks giving break so i'll have to work on that. But the main thing is that i'm having a good time in the gym.

Otter77
Nov 27th 2007, 02:43 PM
Right on... I just got back from Thanksgiving vacation yesterday... it turns out that elbow thing I thought I had was a torn bicep. I realized this when - while on vacation - I decided I should wrestle my 19-year-old cousin (champion high school wrestler). I was sure I could win as I have nearly 90lbs on him and the arm didn't really hurt that much anymore :p

Alas - when the pain was fully realized in my arm - so was the pain in my back/side (his knee firmly planted) and it was I to cry "submit!".

darned kids.... *grumble*

JIML
Nov 30th 2007, 04:12 AM
Monday 11/26/07

I was supposed to do military, but i had to do it alone in the basement and i had to do it seated because the ceiling was too low. So it was kind of funny, I couldn't not take the bar off by myself and it took me awhile to get it off, I did one set and had to struggle again.

Military: 125 x5x4x3 hehehe, i was so tired of taking it off that i could not do well on my last 2 sets.
Pull-Ups: 10, 10
Curls: 80lbs x5x5x5

Wednesday 11/28/07

Bench: 185 x5x5x4. Almost there!!!!
Dips +15lbs: 12, 12
Abs*

Otter77
Nov 30th 2007, 02:26 PM
Monday 11/26/07

I was supposed to do military, but i had to do it alone in the basement and i had to do it seated because the ceiling was too low. So it was kind of funny, I couldn't not take the bar off by myself and it took me awhile to get it off, I did one set and had to struggle again.

Military: 125 x5x4x3 hehehe, i was so tired of taking it off that i could not do well on my last 2 sets.
Curls: 80lbs x5x5x5

Wednesday 11/28/07

Bench: 185 x5x5x4. Almost there!!!!
Dips +15lbs: 12, 12
Abs*

very impressive old man.... you probably got a better shoulder workout than you've had in years just taking the bar on and off! ;)

JIML
Dec 1st 2007, 09:51 AM
very impressive old man.... you probably got a better shoulder workout than you've had in years just taking the bar on and off! ;)
Hahaha, you bet!!!

Friday 11/30/07

Military Press: 125 x5x5x4
Seated Cable Rows: 140 x8x8x7 (i am doing this instead of bent over rows, doesn't seem to hurt my back)
Pull-ups:8, 9
EZ-Curls: 70 x5x5x5

Wow, its December already. Usually I start to slack around mid-December and i totally quit for the spring semester. So what i need you guys to do is come here kick my butt if I'm you suspect that i stopped working out. Thanks in advance!

Otter77
Dec 2nd 2007, 05:06 AM
Hahaha, you bet!!!

Friday 11/30/07

Military Press: 125 x5x5x4
Seated Cable Rows: 140 x8x8x7 (i am doing this instead of bent over rows, doesn't seem to hurt my back)
Pull-ups:8, 9
EZ-Curls: 70 x5x5x5

Wow, its December already. Usually I start to slack around mid-December and i totally quit for the spring semester. So what i need you guys to do is come here kick my butt if I'm you suspect that i stopped working out. Thanks in advance!

I would be delighted... I need someone to kick me in the butt right now as a matter of fact.

Unfortunately I don't think your "here" is even remotely close to my "here".

JIML
Dec 3rd 2007, 11:31 PM
Monday 12/03/07

Bench: 185 x5x5x4 (Didn't feel too good when lifting this, felt tired and stuff)
Dips +20lbs: 12, 11
Abs*

Hmmm, may be its because i lost a lot of sleep last night but i felt kind of tired in the gym and i was basically falling asleep in my class, so may be that's the thing. Next week is the finals so i might miss a workout or two and my diet might suffer a little.

JIML
Dec 5th 2007, 11:04 PM
Got a lot of sleep today (had to miss my morning lecture though ) so felt great in the gym.

Military: 125lbs x5x5x5
Chin-Ups: 11, 10
Cable Row: 145 x5x5x5

Edit: i typed speel instead of sleep the first time lol

JIML
Dec 8th 2007, 03:13 AM
Friday 12/7/07

Bench: 190 x5x4 185x4 (190x5 is my new personal record!!!)
Dips +25lbs: 12, 10
Abs*

Next week is gonna suck since its the finals week so I'll try to work out but might miss one or two workouts.

Follow_Me_Infantry
Dec 10th 2007, 02:04 PM
This. Thread. ROCKS.

You have no idea how motivational it is to read your personal progress and the dedication (hey, come kick me if I need it).

I'll ignore the skinny comments - I'm 5' 11" and 140 in jeans and boots. So bite me. :D The most I was ever able to pack on was 175, and that was in my prime at 21 and in a pretty rigid Army training program for a school I was attending. I used to eat until I was literally sick to my stomach trying to stretch my stomach. Being small sucks. But all 175 was solid muscle, so I'd be happy to regain the youth of old!

I'm working on a diet that will up my daily caloric intake to 8,500 - 9,000 per day (currently at about 6,000), and once I finish installing the new carpet in my bedroom I'll be putting my weights in there (too cold on the back porch right now). I've drastically reduced alcohol intake and I am fighting the good fight to quit the cigarettes. I've also WAY lowered my daily intake of Advil, as I've been using that to extreme since I quit taking the Percoset and Vicoden.

Finding this thread was a great boot to the backside!

Don't mean to derail. I just wanted you to know that you, sir, ROCK. Keep posting those updates, man!

Follow_Me_Infantry
Dec 10th 2007, 03:40 PM
Ive been trying to loose weight the past few months and ive just been piling on. Ive gone from a job that had me on my feet and active to a job sitting my 8hrs a day away.
Ive been trying the healthy eating way the exercise but the truth is "i dont like exercise" i want to do an activity thats fun, any ideas please?:idea::giveup:

We should probably take this to another thread so that those here way more knowledgeable than me can minister to you and offer what works for them without derailing/detracting from this man's thread (I am personally very fond of Otter's posts, as he has the gift of brevity without missing crucial points - a gift I covet).

There are many ways to lose weight, but in truth, all are folly without some type of exercise - just like me trying to GAIN weight without exercise is futile. The key is to make exercise FUN.

For instance: Camping. When you're camping, there's no desire/temptation to watch TV and gluttony down soda after soda on the couch. You're physically active and relaxed at the same time, so you're exercising and it's fun at the same time.

Swimming. Canoing (rowing). Even fishing, brother: Don't sit with worm on hook, walk around the bank throwing a lure. Volunteer at church to help clean, help build, help fix. Take drum lessons: Playing drums is physically demanding! Re-paint your house.

Get one of those cool MP-3-whatever players and go listen to music on a brisk walk. Don't look at it like you're walking, look at it like you're listening to music as loud as you want to, whatever you want to.

Re-arrange the furniture in the house every week.

Turn the music up and dance when you're cooking, showering, etc. Dancing is GREAT exercise!

Just because it is exercise does NOT mean it has be dedicated to a time period or that it has to be not fun! Go see a Christian rock concert and dance with everyone - get your praise, worship, exercise all at the same time!

You cab do it, brother! :hug:

Otter77
Dec 10th 2007, 04:52 PM
We should probably take this to another thread so that those here way more knowledgeable than me can minister to you and offer what works for them without derailing/detracting from this man's thread (I am personally very fond of Otter's posts, as he has the gift of brevity without missing crucial points - a gift I covet).

There are many ways to lose weight, but in truth, all are folly without some type of exercise - just like me trying to GAIN weight without exercise is futile. The key is to make exercise FUN.

For instance: Camping. When you're camping, there's no desire/temptation to watch TV and gluttony down soda after soda on the couch. You're physically active and relaxed at the same time, so you're exercising and it's fun at the same time.

Swimming. Canoing (rowing). Even fishing, brother: Don't sit with worm on hook, walk around the bank throwing a lure. Volunteer at church to help clean, help build, help fix. Take drum lessons: Playing drums is physically demanding! Re-paint your house.

Get one of those cool MP-3-whatever players and go listen to music on a brisk walk. Don't look at it like you're walking, look at it like you're listening to music as loud as you want to, whatever you want to.

Re-arrange the furniture in the house every week.

Turn the music up and dance when you're cooking, showering, etc. Dancing is GREAT exercise!

Just because it is exercise does NOT mean it has be dedicated to a time period or that it has to be not fun! Go see a Christian rock concert and dance with everyone - get your praise, worship, exercise all at the same time!

You cab do it, brother! :hug:

GREAT advice man... plus I'm unbelievably flattered. I think that I work with a lot of very busy people and artful communication is probably key to me getting the attention I need when I need it from the "powers that be". Most of the people I work with literally work 80-90hr weeks. I'm forever thankful to NOT have that job.

;)

But yeah... I think that's great advice. Exercise doesn't have to be using the stair master or going for a run every day. Keep your diet clean (as you say) and keep yourself as active as possible doing ANYTHING.... take the stairs instead of the elevator at work... walk to the starbucks 10 blocks away instead of the one down the street... anything (and when you get there, order smartly!).

JIML
Dec 12th 2007, 06:11 PM
This. Thread. ROCKS.

You have no idea how motivational it is to read your personal progress and the dedication (hey, come kick me if I need it).

I'll ignore the skinny comments - I'm 5' 11" and 140 in jeans and boots. So bite me. :D The most I was ever able to pack on was 175, and that was in my prime at 21 and in a pretty rigid Army training program for a school I was attending. I used to eat until I was literally sick to my stomach trying to stretch my stomach. Being small sucks. But all 175 was solid muscle, so I'd be happy to regain the youth of old!

I'm working on a diet that will up my daily caloric intake to 8,500 - 9,000 per day (currently at about 6,000), and once I finish installing the new carpet in my bedroom I'll be putting my weights in there (too cold on the back porch right now). I've drastically reduced alcohol intake and I am fighting the good fight to quit the cigarettes. I've also WAY lowered my daily intake of Advil, as I've been using that to extreme since I quit taking the Percoset and Vicoden.

Finding this thread was a great boot to the backside!

Don't mean to derail. I just wanted you to know that you, sir, ROCK. Keep posting those updates, man!

Hey thanks bro... good luck with quitting cigarettes most people say its harder than it sounds, so i can't ever recommend you anything because i've never even tried smoking. By the way, i am pretty sure that you are not eating 6,000 calories right now, you better recount those. Because in order for me to put on weight (i'm 200 at the moment) i need to eat 4000 calories and i know sometimes i have to force-feed myself because when you're eating clean that's a lot of food. I think you're greatly overestimating that number, I have a good article that cleared a lot of nutritional mist for me here it is check it out:

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1793585&cr=

And there is a second part to it which is not as good but still a great read:

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1795045&cr=

And i guess good luck with your training. Knowing is half the battle as they say.

Follow_Me_Infantry
Dec 12th 2007, 07:19 PM
Wow, what great articles! Lots of information. This is me:

Well, yes and no. Actually, cortisol is necessary during a workout, because it helps with energy production, as well as with the capacity to cope with physical stress. However, if cortisol levels are chronically elevated after a workout, the body stays in a catabolic (breakdown) mode instead of being in an anabolic (building) mode. This often happens in individuals who are stressed out: cortisol is a stress hormone: it's released when stress levels go up. Individuals who are under a lot of stress will thus have a harder time using a lot of protein to build muscle, since their body is in a constant state of breakdown, not building.

So, control the stress, control the cortisol, easier to gain. That makes perfect sense as I've done nothing but LOSE weight.

Will steroids help with this? Or are they a no-no even for rather thin guys like me? I don't mean illegal, 3-times a day injections, I mean for once a day or week that helps ready the muscles to pack it on? I know muscle weighs more than fat, so building up nothing but muscle mass is the way I want to do it - even if I have to cheat a bit.

Any thoughts?

Toolman
Dec 12th 2007, 07:31 PM
Wow, what great articles! Lots of information. This is me:

Well, yes and no. Actually, cortisol is necessary during a workout, because it helps with energy production, as well as with the capacity to cope with physical stress. However, if cortisol levels are chronically elevated after a workout, the body stays in a catabolic (breakdown) mode instead of being in an anabolic (building) mode. This often happens in individuals who are stressed out: cortisol is a stress hormone: it's released when stress levels go up. Individuals who are under a lot of stress will thus have a harder time using a lot of protein to build muscle, since their body is in a constant state of breakdown, not building.

So, control the stress, control the cortisol, easier to gain. That makes perfect sense as I've done nothing but LOSE weight.

Will steroids help with this? Or are they a no-no even for rather thin guys like me? I don't mean illegal, 3-times a day injections, I mean for once a day or week that helps ready the muscles to pack it on? I know muscle weighs more than fat, so building up nothing but muscle mass is the way I want to do it - even if I have to cheat a bit.

Any thoughts?

FMI,

I have an idea if you are game.

Start a new thread describing completely what your current diet and exercise is and then we will have to advise in one convenient thread.

If you could list out everything you eat and drink on a daily basis and your complete weekly exercise regimen that will help.

What do you think?

Follow_Me_Infantry
Dec 12th 2007, 07:43 PM
FMI,

I have an idea if you are game.

Start a new thread describing completely what your current diet and exercise is and then we will have to advise in one convenient thread.

If you could list out everything you eat and drink on a daily basis and your complete weekly exercise regimen that will help.

What do you think?

Exactly what I need to do! I've detracted from this poor man's thread enough already, at any rate.

I'll make a workout schedule, a diet, and weigh myself and do just like this thread.

JIML
Dec 13th 2007, 07:53 AM
Exactly what I need to do! I've detracted from this poor man's thread enough already, at any rate.

I'll make a workout schedule, a diet, and weigh myself and do just like this thread.

To answer your question, yes, steroids do help in gaining mass. However, if your diet is bad, and i have to assume that it is because like you said you can't put on any weight, then steroids will not help you at all. Other things, steroids are illegal in the U.S. unless of course for medical purposes and steroids should come into play when you've got a decent number of years of training under your belt. And last but not least, you probably know that taking steroids involves certain risks, so if you do not know much about them or how to stack them or counter the negative side effects, i suggest you stay away from them.

I am pretty sure Toolman would agree with this, and he seems to be the weight-lifting genius on these boards. Anyway, gotta go to sleep have to wake up early tomorrow because of the finals.

Toolman
Dec 13th 2007, 02:36 PM
I am pretty sure Toolman would agree with this,

Wholeheartedly.

I have never done a single cycle of steroids. And while I do not agree with their current illegalization (I'm fairly libertarian) there are certainly risks that go with taking anabolic steroids.

I don't feel that one should even consider them until they have 2-3 years of serious mass training under their belt with proper diet.
I still don't think they are needed after that point but to even consider them before that point is a sure fire way to gain muscle and then completely lose it once off the juice.

Otter77
Dec 13th 2007, 04:34 PM
Having observed far too many people go down that path the wrong way ultimately to their destruction (even if they don't realize it themselves... usually they don't)... and having tried a cycle once myself... I am a FIRM believer that all use of steroids for muscle gain for anything other than *true* medical reasons (like a muscle destroying disease, etc...) is a pretty bad idea.

Legality beside the point...

Think of it like using a "cheat guide" or a "cheat code" in a video game. You'll achieve the expected result much faster and usually with greater aesthetic gain than you might otherwise..... but you lost so much else in the process that the final victory is fully empty and may even lead to your painful ultimate demise.

I understand you meant to think of it in a highly restricted and controlled fashion, FMI, but it's a very slippery slope. When you peak on a cycle (even a weak one) you will feel like a million bucks... indestructible... when you see and feel the gains you had for that peak at the same time... well... it's a hard thing to come down from.

I mean... they work. They work... really ... really well.

Follow_Me_Infantry
Dec 13th 2007, 04:45 PM
Guys...

Guys...

LEGAL steroids... the powders you make into drinks and stuff.

NOT the injection Barry Bonds kind.

Even I am not that stupid! I said the legal kind in my post. The GNC stuff that you use along with Weigh powder and stuff.

Will steroids help with this? Or are they a no-no even for rather thin guys like me? I don't mean illegal, 3-times a day injections, I mean for once a day or week that helps ready the muscles to pack it on?:o

These:

http://www.cibexolabs.com/mega-bulk.php

Toolman
Dec 13th 2007, 05:17 PM
Guys...

Guys...

LEGAL steroids... the powders you make into drinks and stuff.

NOT the injection Barry Bonds kind.

Even I am not that stupid! I said the legal kind in my post. The GNC stuff that you use along with Weigh powder and stuff.

:o

These:

FMI,

The supplement industry is a multi-billion dollar industry and most of this stuff is nothing but junk. More than likely these "steroids" fall into that category.

Creatine is one of the few supplements that almost everyone agrees works.

Lots of guys also use whey protein but I prefer real food.

Otter77
Dec 13th 2007, 07:41 PM
echo that... I have no personal knowledge of that exact product but it's extremely likely to be crap.

Maybe hard on your liver at best.

JIML
Dec 14th 2007, 05:24 AM
Hey Otter, i hope you're not talking about whey protein!!!

Did you guys hear about the uproar in the bodybuilding community about Chinese protein? For those of you who didn't, i think it started with some of the folks questioning how can a company sell protein cheaper than it would actually cost to produce that protein. So some looked into it, and it turns out that those protein powders from China had like some sort of plastic in it containing nitrogen, so when FDA tested those powders they didn't see anything wrong with them, because the tests showed that it was protein.

Toolman
Dec 14th 2007, 05:39 PM
Hey Otter, i hope you're not talking about whey protein!!!

I'm pretty sure he was talking about this:

Did you guys hear about the uproar in the bodybuilding community about Chinese protein? For those of you who didn't, i think it started with some of the folks questioning how can a company sell protein cheaper than it would actually cost to produce that protein. So some looked into it, and it turns out that those protein powders from China had like some sort of plastic in it containing nitrogen, so when FDA tested those powders they didn't see anything wrong with them, because the tests showed that it was protein.

For what you spend on protein powders you can actually buy real, quality food and come out way ahead IMO. I don't personally use them anymore.

JIML
Dec 14th 2007, 07:59 PM
I'm pretty sure he was talking about this:

For what you spend on protein powders you can actually buy real, quality food and come out way ahead IMO. I don't personally use them anymore.

Oh that, thing is probably a bunch of crap.

While i do agree with you that real food is better, but you know sometimes you don't have the time to eat real food, but i guess if a father of four can pull it off, then anyone can ;)

Toolman
Dec 14th 2007, 08:06 PM
Oh that, thing is probably a bunch of crap.

While i do agree with you that real food is better, but you know sometimes you don't have the time to eat real food, but i guess if a father of four can pull it off, then anyone can ;)

I've eaten my share of them without a doubt but honestly I just never saw them as very effective. Most of them cause bloating, for me, and never felt as good as a good quality meal (a simple can of tuna has more benefits than a protein shake but doesn't taste nearly as good :)).

That's just for me personally.

JIML
Dec 18th 2007, 09:14 AM
Monday 12/17/07

Military: 125 x5x5x5
Chin-Ups: 10, 10
Cable Rows: 140 x5, 145 x5
Barbell Curls: 80lbs x5x5x5

I did get a little weaker after the finals weak but its barely noticeable, felt pretty good, i was also really pissed because of some stuff that happened prior to the workout so it fueled my workout rather nicely. My diet sucked today though, took me a long time to get home and once i did get home i realized i had no food at home,hahaha, so i had to go buy and prepare so didn't eat much today but tomorrow i'm planning on doing some work on my diet and i finally want to get to building that "dip-rack" of mine. Did I mention this before? I want to make a dip rack out of wood so i can do some dips at home. I won't make it very tall but it should be fun.

Toolman
Dec 18th 2007, 02:44 PM
Monday 12/17/07

Military: 125 x5x5x5
Chin-Ups: 10, 10
Cable Rows: 140 x5, 145 x5
Barbell Curls: 80lbs x5x5x5

I did get a little weaker after the finals weak but its barely noticeable, felt pretty good, i was also really pissed because of some stuff that happened prior to the workout so it fueled my workout rather nicely. My diet sucked today though, took me a long time to get home and once i did get home i realized i had no food at home,hahaha, so i had to go buy and prepare so didn't eat much today but tomorrow i'm planning on doing some work on my diet and i finally want to get to building that "dip-rack" of mine. Did I mention this before? I want to make a dip rack out of wood so i can do some dips at home. I won't make it very tall but it should be fun.

Dip rack sounds cool! I love weighted dips.

JIML
Dec 20th 2007, 01:07 AM
Wednesday 12/19/07

Bench: 185 x5x5x4
Dips +25: x12, x11
Cable Crunches: 77.5lbs x5 x5 <----- i was ready to puke after these

Well, my bench also got a little weaker after the finals week, but I should start making progress again soon.

JIML
Dec 22nd 2007, 10:32 AM
Friday 12/21/07

Military: 130 x5x4 125 x5
Chin-Ups: 10, 8
Cable Rows: 160 x5x5x5
EZ-Curls: 70lbs x5x5x5x5x5

The reason i've been doing less chin-ups lately is because i started lowering myself all the way down until my elbows lock instead of stopping myself 3/4 of the way, so obviously its harder to do it that way. The reason is that my shoulder hurt less when i do i full range motion. Also I'm trying to do some squats now i use very light weight, like 100lbs or so i'm hoping it will help me recover faster. I don't know i still feel pain in my back sometimes. We had a lot of snow here a week ago and when i was showeling it felt that pain in my back again. So whatever, its been going good so far.

Toolman
Dec 22nd 2007, 01:02 PM
JIML,

Would you mind describing your squat technique?

Do you do a wide-stance, low bar or a narrow stance, high bar?

JIML
Dec 22nd 2007, 09:01 PM
JIML,

Would you mind describing your squat technique?

Do you do a wide-stance, low bar or a narrow stance, high bar?

Uuuh, i don't think i know enough words in English to describe my squat technique. What do you mean low bar high bar? The bar usually rests on top of my traps. And by stance you mean how wide do i place my feet? If so I place them just a little wider than my shoulders. You know how they recommend in finding your feet position by jumping from a bench or something and the way you land is the way you should place your feet, so i did that and it feels most comfortable to me. I am not sure about my back though, i always thought i never rounded it, but when i squat without the bar on my shoulders and if i feel my back with my arms i think i notice some rounding.

Toolman
Dec 22nd 2007, 10:15 PM
JIML,

Give this article a read for various squat styles.

I personally find that a wider foot stance and a lower bar help me keep my back from rounding. I keep my upper torso almost perfectly vertical which makes the squat alot easier on the back.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/likness23.htm

Let me know what you think.

JIML
Dec 23rd 2007, 08:53 AM
JIML,

Give this article a read for various squat styles.

I personally find that a wider foot stance and a lower bar help me keep my back from rounding. I keep my upper torso almost perfectly vertical which makes the squat alot easier on the back.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/likness23.htm

Let me know what you think.

So you're using powerlifting squat or a combination of that and sumo. And how do you keep your back vertical, wouldn't the bar start to slide down? I mean don't you have to lean forward a little to keep your balance?

Toolman
Dec 23rd 2007, 03:20 PM
So you're using powerlifting squat or a combination of that and sumo. And how do you keep your back vertical, wouldn't the bar start to slide down? I mean don't you have to lean forward a little to keep your balance?

I place my hand in a position where I can roll my wrist backward so that I can cup the bar. Some guys prefer a wide grip on the bar. I've seen both techniques. I'll see if I can get a picture of that and post it up.

I also focus my eyes on the place where the roof and the wall in front of me connect. This forces my head slightly up, instead of straight ahead (or even worse.. down). Where the head goes the body follows.

Here are some youtube videos that may help (some low, some high):

Good form:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yieB4Uc94gk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbpcntVWxgY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBL-80XjXPc

Front squat also may be a good option for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLM0lwao8dk

JIML
Dec 23rd 2007, 07:12 PM
I place my hand in a position where I can roll my wrist backward so that I can cup the bar. Some guys prefer a wide grip on the bar. I've seen both techniques. I'll see if I can get a picture of that and post it up.

I also focus my eyes on the place where the roof and the wall in front of me connect. This forces my head slightly up, instead of straight ahead (or even worse.. down). Where the head goes the body follows.

Good form:

I was actually considering doing front squats instead, i'll try them tomorrow and see how it feels, and yes i am going to work out during Christmas!

JIML
Dec 27th 2007, 02:08 AM
Forums are back!!! Awesome!
Well believe it or not guys but i didn't miss any workouts this week :pp.

Monday 12/24/07
Bench: 175 x8, x6 (This is all the weight i have in my basement, also i slept only like 4 hours that night so i didn't have much energy).

Close grip bench: Don't remember
Power Cleans: did some of these tried to learn the technique, my shoulders are still sore:cool:

Wednesday 12/26/07

Military: 115 x8, x8, x8 <-- these felt real good, couldn't use more weight because I'm doing them seated and its real hard to take off the bar because the ceiling is very low.
Pull-ups: 8, 8
Cleans: watched some videos to get a better idea of the form i think i did like 85lb x5 x5 x5

JIML
Dec 27th 2007, 02:12 AM

Good form:

Hey Toolman, i think I've figured out why I injured myself - i think i'm rounding my back a little at the very bottom, when I tried doing cleans i could feel the difference. I think its because when you squat and you get to the bottom you still feel like your back is straight but in reality its not perfectly arched so combine that with poor warm up and there we go.

Toolman
Dec 27th 2007, 04:50 PM
Hey Toolman, i think I've figured out why I injured myself - i think i'm rounding my back a little at the very bottom,

That's usually the #1 cause and I suspect that you are correct.

Now, that you are aware you will be able to be more conscience of it and correct it!

Also sounds like you are going to have to get some more weights huh? Topping out your bench at 175 lbs! That's got to feel good when you know you are going to have to get some more weight because you've excelled beyond what you have.

Congrats!

JIML
Dec 28th 2007, 06:49 AM
Hey thanks dude, you have no idea how motivational it is to come here and hear people say that I'm doing good. Actually i rarely workout in my basements, its my emergency gym in case i can't make it to university or if the university one is closed. So buying weights isn't my top priority right now, however i worked out with my friends recently and they told me I've gained a good amount of fat :eek:. Even though they were exaggerating a little, i know my body fat went up some. So i'm thinking of following a new diet. Specifically if you go to t-nation.com they started this thing called Physic Clinic, they pick a few guys and coach them over the internet. They make the programs for these guys and diets and send them free supplements. So i figured I'll get the diet of one of the guys who has a similar build and i'll follow it and make some adjustments as i go along.

JIML
Dec 28th 2007, 06:56 AM
For those who are interested, here's the diet:

Breakfast
Food Qty Protein Fat Carbs
Blueberries 1 cup 1 0 10
Metabolic Drive 3 scoops 41 8 23
Orange 2 medium 0 0 30
Fish Oil 2 caps 0 2 0
42 10 63

Dinner
Chicken 6 oz. 50 13 0
Metabolic Drive 2 scoops 27 5 15
Celery 1-2 cup 0 0 2
Yams 1 cup 3 0 42
80 18 59

Supper
(Beef) Turkey 6 oz. 36 10 0
Broccoli 1 cup 3 0 5
Yams 1 cup 3 0 42
Tomato 1 med 1 0 6
40 10 53

Post-workout
SURGE 1 serving 33 4 49
Orange 2 med 0 0 30
33 4 79

Snack x 2 (you have two of these snacks per day)
Shrimps 1 cup 40 1 0
Cucumber 1 cup 1 0 3
Macademia Nut Oil 1 Tblsp 0 15 0
40 16 3

Before bed Food Qty Protein Fat Carbs
Olive oil 1 Tblsp 0 15 0
Celery Cup 0 0 2
27 20 17

Protein Fat Carbs
299 100 227
1196 900 908
Total Calories = 3022

Here it is. What i like about this diet is that its actually doable and some of those meals will be very easy for me to take with me to school and eat there. Also i think i'll be replacing turkey with beef once in a while. BTW, any of you guys know where to get Macadamia Nut Oil??? I went to one of the food stores close by, its a huge store so i was sure they'd have it, but they didn't! So i'll go to Dominick's and Jewel tomorrow and see if they have it. Oh and Metabolic Drive that's a protein powder made by Biotest, the reason why its very popular is that it contains miscellar casein. Its a little expensive for me so i'll be replacing it with tuna or regular whey powder.

Otter77
Dec 28th 2007, 03:00 PM
For those who are interested, here's the diet:

Breakfast
Blueberries 1 cup 1 0 10
Metabolic Drive 3 scoops 41 8 23
Orange 2 medium 0 0 30
Fish Oil 2 caps 0 2 0
42 10 63

Dinner
Chicken 6 oz. 50 13 0
Celery 1-2 cup 0 0 2
Yams 1 cup 3 0 42
80 18 59

Supper
(Beef) Turkey 6 oz. 36 10 0
Broccoli 1 cup 3 0 5
Yams 1 cup 3 0 42
Tomato 1 med 1 0 6
40 10 53

Post-workout
SURGE 1 serving 33 4 49
Orange 2 med 0 0 30
33 4 79

Snack x 2 (you have two of these snacks per day)
Shrimps 1 cup 40 1 0
Cucumber 1 cup 1 0 3
Macademia Nut Oil 1 Tblsp 0 15 0
40 16 3

Before bed Food Qty Protein Fat Carbs
Olive oil 1 Tblsp 0 15 0
Celery Cup 0 0 2
27 20 17

Protein Fat Carbs
299 100 227
1196 900 908
Total Calories = 3022

Here it is. What i like about this diet is that its actually doable and some of those meals will be very easy for me to take with me to school and eat there. Also i think i'll be replacing turkey with beef once in a while. BTW, any of you guys know where to get Macadamia Nut Oil??? I went to one of the food stores close by, its a huge store so i was sure they'd have it, but they didn't! So i'll go to Dominick's and Jewel tomorrow and see if they have it. Oh and Metabolic Drive that's a protein powder made by Biotest, the reason why its very popular is that it contains miscellar casein. Its a little expensive for me so i'll be replacing it with tuna or regular whey powder.

crap... will you lend me some of your discipline please? Just a little bit of it?!?

JIML
Dec 28th 2007, 07:07 PM
I have tons of discipline during the semester, and I have zero during the winter break. Too hard following a good diet with all these holidays... also I'm a Greek Catholic (Orthodox plus Catholic) so we normally celebrate Christmas on the 7th of January, but since some of my relatives were born in the U.S. I also celebrate the regular Catholic Christmas on the 25th, so technically I get to eat crappy foods twice as much as everyone else. Oh and we also celebrate the old new years on the 14th of January.

Toolman
Dec 28th 2007, 07:08 PM
JIML,

You can replace that macadamian nut oil with flax seed oil, should be extremely similiar benefits.

JIML
Dec 28th 2007, 07:49 PM
Alright thanks Toolman, flaxseed oil should be easy to find. So off to the grocery store I go... its snowing here today, I love snow :)

Otter77
Dec 28th 2007, 08:56 PM
Alright thanks Toolman, flaxseed oil should be easy to find. So off to the grocery store I go... its snowing here today, I love snow :)

Good... you can come shovel mine!

JIML
Dec 29th 2007, 03:42 AM
Friday 12/28/07
*Working out at home again

Bench: 175 x8 x8, 165 x6 (was doing these slower)
EZ Curls: 70x5 x5 x5, 85 x5 x5
Triceps Pushdown: 50 x10, 60 x10 x10

JIML
Jan 5th 2008, 08:06 PM
Don't worry guys, i didn't fall off the wagon, im still recovering from new years party.

JIML
Jan 8th 2008, 08:53 AM
Don't worry guys, i didn't fall off the wagon, im still recovering from new years party.

Monday 1/07/08

Didn't have much time so i just ran into my basement gym for like 5 minutes. Did bench 175 x9, x6. So that's it, starting Wednesday i'll be doing better since the holidays are now officially over!

JIML
Jan 11th 2008, 07:23 PM
I didn't feel like working out on Wednesday just couldn't get myself to the gym, so i figured it'll work better if i shift my workouts this week by 1 day, since i work the whole day on friday and can't workout.

Thursday 1/10/07
Military (seated): 115 x8 x8 x8
Chin-Ups: 8, 8
EZ-Curls: 80 x8 x8 x8

Felt real good after my yesterdays workout. Stepped on a scale today and got shocked i weight 195, so i think I lost some weight. Not sure if i'm losing some fat because of eating less carbs or may be i've been losing weight in general because of under eating. I've already started implementing that diet that's posted above so starting next week I should be good to go, i already tried cooking some of the meals so i have a good idea of what my shopping list is gonna look like. Also ordered some supplements yesterday, so usually get me motivated.

Also I'll be looking for a new workout program, so Toolman if you have any recommendations feel free to post, I'm still looking at gaining mass, i will start cutting around mid march so can bulk for another 2 month or so.

JIML
Jan 11th 2008, 07:25 PM
Oh forgot to mention, my back is feeling a lot better now, but I can still feel some minor pain once in a while, i cut out ALL back work and switched my military from standing to seated which i noticed puts less strain on my back. But i won't be squatting and deadlifting for a while that's for sure.

Toolman
Jan 11th 2008, 07:28 PM
I didn't feel like working out on Wednesday just couldn't get myself to the gym, so i figured it'll work better if i shift my workouts this week by 1 day, since i work the whole day on friday and can't workout.

Thursday 1/10/07
Military (seated): 115 x8 x8 x8
Chin-Ups: 8, 8
EZ-Curls: 80 x8 x8 x8

Felt real good after my yesterdays workout. Stepped on a scale today and got shocked i weight 195, so i think I lost some weight. Not sure if i'm losing some fat because of eating less carbs or may be i've been losing weight in general because of under eating.

Best way to know for sure JIML is use some calipers to measure your bodyfat %.

I've already started implementing that diet that's posted above so starting next week I should be good to go, i already tried cooking some of the meals so i have a good idea of what my shopping list is gonna look like. Also ordered some supplements yesterday, so usually get me motivated.

Also I'll be looking for a new workout program, so Toolman if you have any recommendations feel free to post, I'm still looking at gaining mass, i will start cutting around mid march so can bulk for another 2 month or so.

Give me an idea of what you have in mind JIML and how much time you have.

I'm of the opinion, personally, that just about any routine can be used for bulking or cutting. Its just a matter of tweaking a few variables and diet.

I'm currently bulking using the plan laid out in my thread. Have you checked that out...Basically a 5x5 progressive routine and just eating a bunch :)

JIML
Jan 11th 2008, 07:49 PM
Best way to know for sure JIML is use some calipers to measure your bodyfat %.

Give me an idea of what you have in mind JIML and how much time you have.

I'm of the opinion, personally, that just about any routine can be used for bulking or cutting. Its just a matter of tweaking a few variables and diet.

I'm currently bulking using the plan laid out in my thread. Have you checked that out...Basically a 5x5 progressive routine and just eating a bunch :)

Well this semester, despite working a little, i should have a lot more time since now the hard stuff is behind me (I'm talking Calc 3, Physics 2). But you know, i still want to keep my workouts under an hour and i'm planning on working out Mon/Wed/Friday.

I was thinking may be you tried one of those Chad Waterbury or Ian King workouts and may be one of those worked real good for ya. Or may be I should just stick to Rippetoes since it has worked so well for me, but I think i've been at it for more than 3 month so i think i should switch things around, feels like I am stalling. I'll make sure to check out your workouts though ;). I'm just pissed I can't squat and deadlift. No squats and no deadlifts make JIML a bad boy.

So... i'm thinking of incorporating incline bench a little, but i wanna keep dips and flat bench. Military i will change to seated. I will switch from chin ups to wide grip pullups. And i don't know, what else do you recommend that might be good but not stress my back?

Toolman
Jan 11th 2008, 08:46 PM
Well this semester, despite working a little, i should have a lot more time since now the hard stuff is behind me (I'm talking Calc 3, Physics 2). But you know, i still want to keep my workouts under an hour and i'm planning on working out Mon/Wed/Friday.

Hoky smokes! Calc 3... I know that was rough!

Yeah, that should be plenty. When I was doing 3 days a week this summer I was doing a full body workout like this (http://bibleforums.org/showpost.php?p=1356259&postcount=108).

I love full body workouts and I do them at least once or twice a year for a cycle of 2-3 months. You can do lots of different exercises in those, i.e. you could do incline bench one workout and flat the next, etc.

I was thinking may be you tried one of those Chad Waterbury or Ian King workouts and may be one of those worked real good for ya.

I haven't tried those.

Or may be I should just stick to Rippetoes since it has worked so well for me, but I think i've been at it for more than 3 month so i think i should switch things around, feels like I am stalling.

I usually will change mine up within 2-4 months depending on several variables. I think its a good idea. Doesn't have to be drastic but even minor changes can bring new challenges and gains.

I'll make sure to check out your workouts though ;). I'm just pissed I can't squat and deadlift. No squats and no deadlifts make JIML a bad boy.

I feel your pain. I LOVE squats and never want to live without them.

But.. that does not mean you can't make gains without them.

So... i'm thinking of incorporating incline bench a little, but i wanna keep dips and flat bench. Military i will change to seated. I will switch from chin ups to wide grip pullups. And i don't know, what else do you recommend that might be good but not stress my back?

Some of these are hyperlinked for you to see examples if you don't know what they are. (some of the videos may have cussing.. I didn't listen to them).

For chest:
Any style of benching (flat, incline, decline) with both dumbbells and barbell
Weighted dips (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbQZ_h-xXZw)(LOVE these.. like the upper body squat.. I use my old weight belt and slip a dumbbell in the front and hang it between my legs)

For back:
Bentover dumbbell rows (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/DBBentOverRow.html) (one of my favs)
T-Bar Row (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/LVInclineRow.html)
Weighted pullups (just like the weighted dips)

For legs:
Weighted Squat (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/WtSquat.html) (similiar style to weighted dips)
Could try leg press or hack squat to see how they feel on your back and of course leg extensions.

JIML
Jan 13th 2008, 02:28 AM
Hoky smokes! Calc 3... I know that was rough!

Yeah, that should be plenty. When I was doing 3 days a week this summer I was doing a full body workout like this (http://bibleforums.org/showpost.php?p=1356259&postcount=108).

I love full body workouts and I do them at least once or twice a year for a cycle of 2-3 months. You can do lots of different exercises in those, i.e. you could do incline bench one workout and flat the next, etc.

I haven't tried those.

I usually will change mine up within 2-4 months depending on several variables. I think its a good idea. Doesn't have to be drastic but even minor changes can bring new challenges and gains.

I feel your pain. I LOVE squats and never want to live without them.

But.. that does not mean you can't make gains without them.

Some of these are hyperlinked for you to see examples if you don't know what they are. (some of the videos may have cussing.. I didn't listen to them).

For chest:
Any style of benching (flat, incline, decline) with both dumbbells and barbell
Weighted dips (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbQZ_h-xXZw)(LOVE these.. like the upper body squat.. I use my old weight belt and slip a dumbbell in the front and hang it between my legs)

For back:
Bentover dumbbell rows (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/DBBentOverRow.html) (one of my favs)
T-Bar Row (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/LVInclineRow.html)
Weighted pullups (just like the weighted dips)

For legs:
Weighted Squat (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/WtSquat.html) (similiar style to weighted dips)
Could try leg press or hack squat to see how they feel on your back and of course leg extensions.

Oh wow, i totally forgot about bentover dumbbell rows, i'm definitely putting those into my program. I don't think my gym has that type of machine for T-Bar rows, but i'll try regular t bar rows with a barbell, may be they won't put too much strain on my back. Oh and i'm definately gonna try hack squats. I've read leg extensions aren't very good for your knees, u got any info on that?

Toolman
Jan 13th 2008, 05:54 PM
I don't think my gym has that type of machine for T-Bar rows, but i'll try regular t bar rows with a barbell, may be they won't put too much strain on my back.

It puts strain on my lower back but it might not for you.

Oh and i'm definately gonna try hack squats. I've read leg extensions aren't very good for your knees, u got any info on that?

I have but to be honest i've done extensions for over 20 years and no knee problems but I have read that also.

I tend to stick with hacks and front squats these days more than extensions but extensions definitely don't put any pressure on the lower back.

JIML
Jan 14th 2008, 05:23 AM
It puts strain on my lower back but it might not for you.

I have but to be honest i've done extensions for over 20 years and no knee problems but I have read that also.

I tend to stick with hacks and front squats these days more than extensions but extensions definitely don't put any pressure on the lower back.

Aight, thanks man, you're the best.

I'm so fired up for tomorrow's workout, i cooked all my meals for the week and everything!

JIML
Jan 14th 2008, 09:57 PM
Monday 1/14/07
Well what do you know, first day of school, felt so sleepy the whole freaking day but i did pretty good in the gym.

Bench: 185 x5x5x5 ; I went over the rippetoes program and i didn't notice it the first time around, but the rests between presses should be 3 minutes, so now i double my rest intervals.
Dips: +25 lbs x12, +35lbs x12
DB Rows: 55lbs x10 x10
Leg Extensions: 130lbs (don't remember if this is correct) x10 x10
Abs*

I might have to adjust my diet a little, most of it is good except that after eating the breakfast i still feel like i could eat a hippo, so i'll have to change the breakfast, i'll try to keep the same low fat high carb and prot idea.

Toolman
Jan 14th 2008, 10:01 PM
Monday 1/14/07
Well what do you know, first day of school, felt so sleepy the whole freaking day but i did pretty good in the gym.

Bench: 185 x5x5x5 ; I went over the rippetoes program and i didn't notice it the first time around, but the rests between presses should be 3 minutes, so now i double my rest intervals.
Dips: +25 lbs x12, +35lbs x12
DB Rows: 55lbs x10 x10
Leg Extensions: 130lbs (don't remember if this is correct) x10 x10
Abs*

Looking back over time it looks like you've added 20 lbs. to your bench. That is awesome!

JIML
Jan 15th 2008, 02:41 AM
Looking back over time it looks like you've added 20 lbs. to your bench. That is awesome!

Hell yeah dude, feeling stronger than evar!!! According to those 1rm calculators at the moment I SHOULD be able to bench 225 which has been my dream for a while now hehehe, but i guess i'm gonna wait a little before actually trying to lift that weight.

JIML
Jan 17th 2008, 12:31 AM
Wednesday 1/16/08
Military: 120 x8, x8, x2 (for some reason i started laughing on the last set and couldn't stop so i didn't finish that last one)
Pull-Ups: 10, 9
EZ-Curls: 80 x5 x5 x5 x5, 85 x5

I experimented doing deadlifts with a shrug bar, you know the one that looks like a diamond, you get inside of it... It actually didn't hurt my back at all so may be i'll try doing those a little and see how it feels.

Toolman
Jan 17th 2008, 04:12 AM
Wednesday 1/16/08
Military: 120 x8, x8, x2 (for some reason i started laughing on the last set and couldn't stop so i didn't finish that last one)

Don't smoke those left handed cigarettes before working out :lol:

JIML
Jan 17th 2008, 04:58 AM
Don't smoke those left handed cigarettes before working out :lol:

That's exactly what I was thinking!

JIML
Jan 18th 2008, 11:54 PM
Friday 1/18/08

Incl. Bench: 145 x8 x8 x8 <- I didn't reach failure on these and felt awesome!
Dips + 35lbs: 12, 11
One Arm Row: 60 lbs x 8, x10, x10
Deadlift Using Shrug Bar: 195 lbs x5 x5 x5
Abs*

Its weird, when doing those deadlifts i felt great no pain in my back or anything, but when I was drinking my post-workout shake i started feeling a little pain. What the hell!!! I guess letting it heal is the only option, so I won't be experimenting with any lower back work for a while longer.

Toolman
Jan 19th 2008, 03:50 AM
Friday 1/18/08

Incl. Bench: 145 x8 x8 x8 <- I didn't reach failure on these and felt awesome!
Dips + 35lbs: 12, 11
One Arm Row: 60 lbs x 8, x10, x10
Deadlift Using Shrug Bar: 195 lbs x5 x5 x5
Abs*

Its weird, when doing those deadlifts i felt great no pain in my back or anything, but when I was drinking my post-workout shake i started feeling a little pain. What the hell!!! I guess letting it heal is the only option, so I won't be experimenting with any lower back work for a while longer.

JIML,

Consider doing this physical therapy exercise to help heal your lower back:

http://www.spine-health.com/topics/conserv/Sciatica-Exercises/sciaex02b.html

http://www.spine-health.com/topics/conserv/Sciatica-Exercises/Exercises-Herniated-Disc.html

The one linked above has really helped me. I do them after every workout.

JIML
Jan 22nd 2008, 03:07 AM
Hey T-man I been doing those things u posted above, i hope they will work.

Monday 1/21/08

Military: 120 x8 x7, 115x7
Cable Rows: 150 x5x5x5
EZ-Curls: 85lbs x5x5x5x5x5

JIML
Jan 24th 2008, 03:33 AM
Wednesday 1/23/08

I ate some raw broccoli today and I've been sick almost the whole day. Felt like throwing up during my classes and kept burping something that smelled like broccoli and also I went to bed late yesterday and had to wake up early so I was feeling very weak today, but I still went in for a quick workout.

Bench: 175 x8, 165 x8
Cable Row: 100lbs x10

I hope tomorrow I am going to feel okay, ehehhehe.

Otter77
Jan 24th 2008, 03:14 PM
Wednesday 1/23/08

I ate some raw broccoli today and I've been sick almost the whole day. Felt like throwing up during my classes and kept burping something that smelled like broccoli and also I went to bed late yesterday and had to wake up early so I was feeling very weak today, but I still went in for a quick workout.

Bench: 175 x8, 165 x8
Cable Row: 100lbs x10

I hope tomorrow I am going to feel okay, ehehhehe.

sick from the brocoli or just sick?

Make sure you WASH fresh fruits and vegetables before eating them... they can have all kinds of nasty stuff on them if you don't.

I'm sick too... with a cold. :(

JIML
Jan 24th 2008, 07:20 PM
sick from the brocoli or just sick?

Make sure you WASH fresh fruits and vegetables before eating them... they can have all kinds of nasty stuff on them if you don't.

I'm sick too... with a cold. :(

No I was sick from broccoli, my mom said its probably because my stomach wasn't used to raw broccoli so next time I'll have to steam em.

Are you taking any multivitamins Otter? I know most people say that multivitamins are totally useless but the ones I get from GNC help me a lot, haven't gotten sick for like 2 years now.

Otter77
Jan 25th 2008, 02:28 PM
No I was sick from broccoli, my mom said its probably because my stomach wasn't used to raw broccoli so next time I'll have to steam em.

Are you taking any multivitamins Otter? I know most people say that multivitamins are totally useless but the ones I get from GNC help me a lot, haven't gotten sick for like 2 years now.

Oh yes... I love vitamins and things like Airborne are also AWESOME for avoiding sickness. I am also a habitual hand-washer.

I used to be just like you before I had kids. Now I have two kids plus a Foster kid... there is NO avoiding the occasional disease. If I get away with only 1-2 colds in a year I'm doing VERY well compared to the rest of my immediate family.

Plus I work Downtown and all that....

Toolman
Jan 25th 2008, 02:56 PM
Oh yes... I love vitamins and things like Airborne are also AWESOME for avoiding sickness. I am also a habitual hand-washer.

I used to be just like you before I had kids. Now I have two kids plus a Foster kid... there is NO avoiding the occasional disease. If I get away with only 1-2 colds in a year I'm doing VERY well compared to the rest of my immediate family.

Plus I work Downtown and all that....

I had a absolute God send come into my life about 6 years ago... I used to suffer allergies and usually had 1 to 2 sinus infections per year.

Then I discoverd the neti pot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_irrigation). I have not had a sinus infection since, my allergies give me no trouble and when I have a cold virus it never gets to my throat and chest.

I can't recommend it enough. Its great for the kids to for cleaning out all that snot they seem to collect when they have a cold.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=neti+pot

Otter77
Jan 25th 2008, 05:10 PM
My wife and I have been using the NeilMed Sinus Rinse product for about 6 months now.
http://www.unimedprod.com/

It was recommended to her by her doctor because she (my wife) has acute rheumatoid arthritis and chronic nasal problems. So the drugs she takes for RA reduces her immune system pretty significantly and it's a much bigger problem if she gets quite sick.... so she uses it every day.

At first we thought it was unbelievably disgusting but it really works like AWESOME...... I only use it when I'm sick though which probably doesn't help prevent anything.

They just had a news report on my local station the other day too about how sinus rinses in general are proven to be great preventives of colds and shortening of colds. I should just get in the habit of doing it every night when I brush my teeth eh?

Great stuff. :)

JIML
Jan 26th 2008, 12:20 AM
I had a absolute God send come into my life about 6 years ago... I used to suffer allergies and usually had 1 to 2 sinus infections per year.

Then I discoverd the neti pot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_irrigation). I have not had a sinus infection since, my allergies give me no trouble and when I have a cold virus it never gets to my throat and chest.

I can't recommend it enough. Its great for the kids to for cleaning out all that snot they seem to collect when they have a cold.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=neti+pot

When I was a kid i had some kind of chronic nasal stuff or something, so my grandma made like some kind of a tea or something from flowers and i had to breathe that solution in through my nose and cough it out through my mouth, the nastiest thing ever... so that neti pot kind of reminded me of that experience.

JIML
Jan 26th 2008, 02:12 AM
Oh, forgot to post my workout stuff.
Friday 1/15/08

DB Press: 45(each hand) x8x8x8 (yeah i decided to switch to dumbbells every for military every 2nd workout)
Wide-Grip Pullups: 7, 7 (Yeah i'll be rotating these too)
Cable Rows: 145 x8x8x8
EZ Curls: 85lbs x5x5x5

Hehhe, I also did one chin-up with 65lbs attached, but I could do it only once.
This week was kind of crappy, now looking back I see that I got a little lazy and didn't plan everything out. On tuesday I stayed up late doing homework, and on thursday I was very busy at work so I didn't have enough time to eat all my meals so when I came home I had to eat, so its like dominoes, one thing falls apart after the other. But this week I'm gonna plan everything out nice and slow.

JIML
Jan 28th 2008, 11:30 PM
Monday 1/28/08

Incline Bench: 155lbs x7x7x5
Dips: 35lbs x12, x10
One Arm Row: 65lbs x5x8x8
Abs*

I am not totally sure about this, but I think the pain in my lower back actually isn't in the muscles of my lower back but its in the top of the butt-cheek muscle, I am not 100% sure but I think that's the reason I felt pain after deadlifting the other day, not during it. I think i'll be taking the next week off, and i think i need to get a new workout program because I don't feel like i'm making much progress.

JIML
Jan 28th 2008, 11:41 PM
Some guy said he had a similar problem to mine, he did a few sets a day of Hip Abduction and Adduction and he said the pain was gone in a few days, i'll try that.

JIML
Jan 29th 2008, 10:19 PM
Hey guys, the diet I've posted a few pages back was good and I noticed I've started shedding off some fat. I mean I'm not 100% sure because I've never measured my body fat %, but I can see that my stomach isn't as big and I've weighted myself today in the morning and its 195lbs, I checked my arm circumference and its still 15 and 1/16 inch haha, so I think I did lose some fat. So here I did some changes to the diet, I dropped the carbohydrates even a little more and of course buying shrimp so often was a little heavy on my budget so I replaced one snack with a can of tuna. Check it out ToolMan, tell me what ya think. Not sure if I attached the thing correctly lol.

JIML
Jan 29th 2008, 10:26 PM
Oh and I've figured I'll give my joints a little break from all the heavy pressing and I've found a really cool program which a lot of guys recommend trying. Its Called "30 Day Mass Plan" or something, it was made by Chad Waterbury. I'll attach it in this post also. The idea is you workout 10 days in a row and then your rest for 5 days, then you repeat the cycle again. Most guys say that it looks easy, but by the 5th day you realize that its not. Check it out.

JIML
Jan 29th 2008, 10:34 PM
Oh and if any of you are wondering why all of a sudden I want to lose weight? Well its obvious that I don't wanna be fat for the summer for reasons every man understands. So I figured so that I won't have to try and lose a huge amount of fat over short period of time I'll just start now and progress slowly.

Toolman
Jan 30th 2008, 02:43 AM
Hey guys, the diet I've posted a few pages back was good and I noticed I've started shedding off some fat. I mean I'm not 100% sure because I've never measured my body fat %, but I can see that my stomach isn't as big and I've weighted myself today in the morning and its 195lbs, I checked my arm circumference and its still 15 and 1/16 inch haha, so I think I did lose some fat. So here I did some changes to the diet, I dropped the carbohydrates even a little more and of course buying shrimp so often was a little heavy on my budget so I replaced one snack with a can of tuna. Check it out ToolMan, tell me what ya think. Not sure if I attached the thing correctly lol.

Looks fantastic to me JIML. I not familiar with "Grow!".. what is it?

What are your feelings on eggs? They are a bodybuilder/weightlifters best friend :)
Cheap, packed with protein, easy to fix, lots of ways to dress 'em up... etc.

JIML
Jan 30th 2008, 05:44 AM

What are your feelings on eggs? They are a bodybuilder/weightlifters best friend :)

Grow! is just a protein powder. Oh and so is Surge, but Surge is designed as a post-workout or during workout type of thing. I'm cool with eggs actually but what meal can I put them in? I usually ate eggs for breakfast, but this semester I need something fast because I wake up around 8 and I need to be ready by 8:20, that's why the breakfast mentioned above has worked for me well. Unless I cook all the eggs and eat them cold which isn't my dream food but whatever.
On the weekends though, I usually make an omelet from 4-6 eggs.

JIML
Jan 30th 2008, 05:49 AM

Oh and if you can, could you mention your "best ways to dress em up", thanks ;)

Toolman
Jan 30th 2008, 02:43 PM
Oh and if you can, could you mention your "best ways to dress em up", thanks ;)

Some quick ways to cook eggs is an omelette maker. We have one. You just scramble your eggs (3 whites for every 1 whole egg) and place them in the omelette maker to cook.

I dress them up with cheese (low fat or normal depending on your diet), cream cheese, diced ham, grilled onions, ground taco beef and I always use Frank's red hot sauce on my eggs.

Just some thoughts but I can understand you needing a speedy breakfast. I say use whatever works.

Omelette cooker (http://cgi.ebay.com/Rocco-DiSpirito-Nonstick-Omelette-Cooker-ROOM4-K-5619_W0QQitemZ170189060115QQihZ007QQcategoryZ66753 QQcmdZViewItem)

JIML
Jan 30th 2008, 09:36 PM
Some quick ways to cook eggs is an omelette maker. We have one. You just scramble your eggs (3 whites for every 1 whole egg) and place them in the omelette maker to cook.

I dress them up with cheese (low fat or normal depending on your diet), cream cheese, diced ham, grilled onions, ground taco beef and I always use Frank's red hot sauce on my eggs.

Just some thoughts but I can understand you needing a speedy breakfast. I say use whatever works.

Omelette cooker (http://cgi.ebay.com/Rocco-DiSpirito-Nonstick-Omelette-Cooker-ROOM4-K-5619_W0QQitemZ170189060115QQihZ007QQcategoryZ66753 QQcmdZViewItem)

An omelet cooker??? HAHAHAHAHHAA, I never thought a thing like that existed, that's perfect dude, if I get one of those my mom won't whine every day that I got her frying pan dirty. Are those non-stick or do you have to add anything. I'll definitely get one of those sometime!!!;)

Toolman
Jan 30th 2008, 10:14 PM
An omelet cooker??? HAHAHAHAHHAA, I never thought a thing like that existed, that's perfect dude, if I get one of those my mom won't whine every day that I got her frying pan dirty. Are those non-stick or do you have to add anything. I'll definitely get one of those sometime!!!;)

They are supposed to be non-stick but I have much better results using a spray (i don't use non-stick spray, I use a pure olive oil spray).

Very easy to clean up. I use mine every single morning when I'm cooking breakfast for the family. Just have to keep an eye on it to make sure you don't overcook.

JIML
Jan 31st 2008, 06:57 PM
Well I went in yesterday just to see how this new routine will feel and just to get the feel of it and of the amounts of weights I'll have to use. Well, when I was done my whole body was shaking in short spasms and I did feel nauseas for a while.... SO I THINK THIS ROUTINE IS GONNA BE FUN!!!

JIML
Feb 4th 2008, 11:05 PM
Monday 2/4/08
1st Day of My Super-Duper Workout Program:

Floor Press: 65lbs x5 (both hands), 75 x3R, 2L
One Arm DB Row: 70lbs x5(both hands), 75 x5(both hands)
PullUpls: 25lbs x5, 30lb x4
1-Leg Deadlift: 80lbs (DB at work side)<-messed up, 45lbs (DB each hand)
1-Leg Squat: x5 each leg, x5 each leg
Concentration Curls: 40lbs x5, x5

Had my cheat meal today, burger with fries, I was in heaven for about 30 minutes!!!

Confused64
Feb 5th 2008, 02:57 PM
Think I might start paying a little more attention to the diet portion of my routine.

My current workout/training looks like this:

weight training (3 splits- chest/arms/shoulders-upper back)

chest-
flat bench- 235lbs 10x 10x 9x
flat flies- 70 lbs 10x 10x 10x
inclined bench- 185lbs 10x 10x 10x
inclined flies- 55lbs 10x 10x 10x

shoulders-
militarys- 125 lbs 10x 10x 10x
up right rows- 125 lbs 11x 11x 11x
shoulder press- 125 lbs 9x 10x 9x
overhead lats- 95 lbs* 8x 8x 8x

arms-
barbell curls- 92 lbs.* 9x 10x 10x
overhead dumbell tricep press- 45 lbs. 10x 10x 10x
hammer curls- 45lbs* 8x 8x 8x
kneeling tricep lift- 45lbs 9x 9x 9x (thinking of swapping this one out for something else, not crazy about it)

my plan is to get my large bar exercises up to a 10 rep set and then add 5lbs- can ususally do this on a monthly basis. EOY goal is 275lb bench and 150lb military/shoulder- believe I'm on well on my way.

I'm also currently an active 1st degree brown belt in Tae Kwon Do, I do 3 classes a week with a pretty have outside training focus. Takes pretty good care of my cardio but I still get on my treadmill 4-5x per week.

Stretching is very important, as it increases the range with your muscles have to work and allows you to develop greater strength. I have an Ab Lounge (the heavy-duty one, not the AB2), really like that.

Toolman
Feb 5th 2008, 03:08 PM
Think I might start paying a little more attention to the diet portion of my routine.

My current workout/training looks like this:

weight training (3 splits- chest/arms/shoulders-upper back)

chest-
flat bench- 235lbs 10x 10x 9x
flat flies- 70 lbs 10x 10x 10x
inclined bench- 185lbs 10x 10x 10x
inclined flies- 55lbs 10x 10x 10x

shoulders-
militarys- 125 lbs 10x 10x 10x
up right rows- 125 lbs 11x 11x 11x
shoulder press- 125 lbs 9x 10x 9x
overhead lats- 95 lbs* 8x 8x 8x

arms-
barbell curls- 92 lbs.* 9x 10x 10x
overhead dumbell tricep press- 45 lbs. 10x 10x 10x
hammer curls- 45lbs* 8x 8x 8x
kneeling tricep lift- 45lbs 9x 9x 9x (thinking of swapping this one out for something else, not crazy about it)

my plan is to get my large bar exercises up to a 10 rep set and then add 5lbs- can ususally do this on a monthly basis. EOY goal is 275lb bench and 150lb military/shoulder- believe I'm on well on my way.

I'm also currently an active 1st degree brown belt in Tae Kwon Do, I do 3 classes a week with a pretty have outside training focus. Takes pretty good care of my cardio but I still get on my treadmill 4-5x per week.

Stretching is very important, as it increases the range with your muscles have to work and allows you to develop greater strength. I have an Ab Lounge (the heavy-duty one, not the AB2), really like that.

Confused64,

Where are the legs? I'd hate to see a 275 bench and a 135 squat!

Also don't see alot of back in there? Deadlifts? Chins? Lat pulldowns?

Whatcha think?

Confused64
Feb 5th 2008, 03:20 PM
Confused64,

Where are the legs? I'd hate to see a 275 bench and a 135 squat!

Also don't see alot of back in there? Deadlifts? Chins? Lat pulldowns?

Whatcha think?

5-6 hours a week of heavy Tae Kwon Do training takes care of a lot of that. I throw about 1,000 kicks per week on average, does remarkable things for your legs-

Weight training for me is more of a supplement then a primary. The exercises that I do coupled with my standard training are geared more towards developing quick twitch muscles, speed and quickness.

btw- in case you're curious, on a recent trip to the gym with a buddy I squatted 625 lbs, 3 sets, 8x each, just to test what I could do.:D

Toolman
Feb 5th 2008, 03:25 PM
5-6 hours a week of heavy Tae Kwon Do training takes care of a lot of that. I throw about 1,000 kicks per week on average, does remarkable things for your legs-

Weight training for me is more of a supplement then a primary. The exercises that I do coupled with my standard training are geared more towards developing quick twitch muscles, speed and quickness.-

btw- in case you're curious, on a recent trip to the gym with a buddy I squatted 625 lbs, 3 sets, 8x each, just to test what I could do.:D

Yeah, I have a 1st degree black in TKD so I'm hip to what you are saying and seeing that your goal is not muscle gain I can dig what you are saying.
I've just always found that TKD, while great for learning to kick was never good at adding mass to the legs.

But if you are squatting 625 3 sets for 8 then I'd say you have legs covered :lol:

Carry on :)

Confused64
Feb 5th 2008, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I have a 1st degree black in TKD so I'm hip to what you are saying and seeing that your goal is not muscle gain I can dig what you are saying.
I've just always found that TKD, while great for learning to kick was never good at adding mass to the legs.

But if you are squatting 625 3 sets for 8 then I'd say you have legs covered :lol:

Carry on :)

We have this one drill in class where we take our belts, turn them around, and you have somebody hold the other end to try to hold you b ack to create resistance. The last time we did it, I hard the larger of my instructors (6' 2", about 210) holding my belt and doing all he could to keep me from moving. I was running sprints up and down the floor with him. The Lord has blessed me with an amazing amount of core strength, that's for sure. I feel sometimes like I was supposed to be a linbacker.

JIML
Feb 7th 2008, 12:09 AM
Tuesday 2/5/08
2nd Day of Workout: Medium

Floor Press: 60lbs, x10 x10
DB Row: 50lbs x10 x10
1 Arm Seated Press: 40lbs x10x10
1-Leg DL: 80lbs x10, 90lbs x10
Side Lunge: 60lbs x12, x10

JIML
Feb 8th 2008, 09:52 PM
Wednesday 2/6/08
Day 3, Workout: Light

Wide Push-Up: +25lb x20, x25
DB Row (Elbow in): 45lb x20, x15
1 Arm St. Press: 30lb x20, x20
1-Leg DL (db at non-working side): 50lb x20, x20
Rev. Lunge: 60lbs x20/13, x20

2 Circuits.

JIML
Feb 8th 2008, 09:54 PM
Thursday 2/7/08
Day 4, Workout: Heavy

Floor Press(elbow in): 70lb x5/5 x5/3
DB Row (elbow out): 70lb x5, 75lb x5
Pull-Ups: +25lb x5, +30lb x4
1 Leg DL (db in both hands): 50lb x5, 60lb x5
1 Leg Squat: x5, x5/4

JIML
Feb 12th 2008, 05:11 AM
Well I made it to day 8 of that workout posted above, I can't find my stats sheet right now so i'll post the stuff later. Anyway, I've been loaded with schoolwork lately so I'll have to stop that program here because Its a little too much, I'm not getting enough rest. I'll take a week's rest and then we'll see. I'll probably go back to Starting Strength, or may be I'll find something that suits me a little better.

Toolman
Feb 12th 2008, 02:38 PM
Hey JIML,

Don't know if you've seen this site but I was real impressed with the information and the layout:

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

Similiar to the Bart Starr, Rippetoe, etc. type stuff but thought you might find some stuff on that site that you might like.

JIML
Feb 12th 2008, 10:41 PM
Hey Toolman, i was actually hoping you'd post something in here hehe, so thanks, I'll definitely check it out.

JIML
Feb 12th 2008, 10:52 PM
Oh by the way dude, I discovered that I can do single legged squats and single legged deadlifts without any pain in my back, however, I think I might have a slight herniation (is there such a word) of my disc. I think that's why my back has been hurting.

Toolman
Feb 13th 2008, 12:49 AM
Oh by the way dude, I discovered that I can do single legged squats and single legged deadlifts without any pain in my back, however, I think I might have a slight herniation (is there such a word) of my disc. I think that's why my back has been hurting.

I feel your pain :)

Toolman's herniated disc (http://bibleforums.org/showpost.php?p=1496027&postcount=122)

JIML
Feb 13th 2008, 05:59 AM
I feel your pain :)

Toolman's herniated disc (http://bibleforums.org/showpost.php?p=1496027&postcount=122)

Yeah that sux dude, how did you fix it by the way, did you go to chiropractor??? (sp?)

Toolman
Feb 13th 2008, 03:07 PM
Yeah that sux dude, how did you fix it by the way, did you go to chiropractor??? (sp?)

Well, I herniated it 13 years ago when I was 30 years old. I think it was probably caused by doing stiff legged deadlifts with improper form. There wasn't nearly the wealth of information back then that there is now (with the internet).

I had severe pain running down the back of my leg. Felt like a pulled hamstring. Couldn't do any lifting for a year except bench press. It was the only thing that didn't put compression pressure on my lower back.

I went to family doctor. Did nothing for me. Went to chiro. Did nothing for me. I went to neurologist. Nothing. I finally, after being in pain for a year, went to a surgeon. He said because of insurance I would have to do physical therapy first. He said it wouldn't work but insurance made it a must.

So, I went to physical therapy and the therapist took the time to explain to me what the problem was and how the exercises would fix the problem. I began doing the exercises (specifically the one I shared with you). I believe the combination of that plus time (and youth) allowed my back to heal.

I also began cracking my back on my own. I stand and twist my upper body until the lower spine cracks. I also elevate myself off the ground so my legs hang down and my spine cracks. Brings instant relief.

Its been 13 years now and it rarely ever gives me any trouble. I can squat 315 for reps. I can deadlift 225 for reps. Tightens up every once in a while when consistently lifting heavy but other than that no problems.

But I consistently crack it. Consistently do my exercises. I sit in the whirlpool at least once a week and take hot baths fairly often.

It probably won't ever be like it was but honestly it doesn't hinder me too much now.

That has been my experience.

JIML
Feb 15th 2008, 10:22 PM
Aight thanks dude, I'm gonna go get a sledgehammer and crack my back for a little bit.

JIML
Feb 19th 2008, 12:08 AM
Monday 2/18/08

Okay, here we go... my cutting has officially started today!!!
My diet is almost like the one i've posted, except i've lowered the carbs to about 110g on work-out days and 70g on non-workout days. My caloric intake is 15 x 190(my current bodyweight) which makes it 2850 kCals. I've raised my fat intake to 135g and my protein intake stayed the same, 292g (about 1.5g per lb bodyweight).

Hey Toolman, I looked at that program you gave me, it has a lot of the sets going to failure, which will probably not be very good for my recovery, since i'll be at caloric deficit from now on. So I will take the rep scheme 5x5 from that program, but I'll pyramid or just not go to failure. I will try to work around my back problem, I'll try incorporating single-leg deadlifts and squats but I will start doing them may be next week or week after next. Since I'll be doing cardio now my legs will probably be fried since I haven't ran in a while, haha. I will do cardio after every workout, since this is pretty much the only time I can do it.

Today's Workout Looked as follows:
Bench: 155x5, 175x5, 195x3, 175x6
Dips +25lbs: x12, x11
Cardio: 8 minutes run, 8 minutes walk, 4 minutes run

The weights might seem low, but the thing is I kept my rest intervals around 30 seconds. I'll add some more exercises later on because my workout seems to be around 15 minutes lol.

JIML
Feb 21st 2008, 12:23 AM
Wednesday 2/20/08
So far I've stuck to the diet pretty good.

Seated DB Press: 40x5, 45 x5x5x5 (Not sure if I remember correctly)
Bent Over DB Row: 45x5, 55 x5x5, 50 x5
Pull-Ups: 10, 8
Hammer Curls: 30lb x5x5x5x5
Cardio: 10 min run, 10 min walk

Again, used 30 second intervals, I can kind of dig it.

JIML
Feb 23rd 2008, 02:48 AM
Friday 2/22/08

Bench: 175x5, 180 x5, 185x5, 170 x7, 165 x6
Dips +25lbs: x10, x10
Reverse Crunches

5 min running (Didn't have much time to do this)

JIML
Feb 27th 2008, 03:26 AM
Didn't update because I was sick last few days... too much work + exams + little sleep = weak immune system. I'm almost recovered though, might actually work out tomorrow.

JIML
Mar 5th 2008, 11:27 PM
Monday 3/3/08

DB Press: 45lbs
Pull-Ups: 10, 8
Ez Curls: 70lbs
Run 10 minutes, Walk 10 minutes

Wednesday 3/5/08
Bench: 175 x5x5x5
Dips +25lbs: 12, 12
One Arm Row: 50lbs x5, 60 lbs x5x8
Cardio: 11 min run, 10 min walk

Monday felt really weak because I was still recovering from sickness, today felt pretty good.

JIML
Mar 11th 2008, 05:58 AM
Friday 3/7/08

DB Press: 50lbs x5, 45lbs x8x8
Wide Grip Pullups: 10, 8
One Arm Row(elbow out): 50lbs x8x8x8

Cardio: 12mins run, 10 mins walk

The illness is refusing to leave me, so I don't know how this week is gonna look.

Toolman
Mar 11th 2008, 03:25 PM
Friday 3/7/08

DB Press: 50lbs x5, 45lbs x8x8
Wide Grip Pullups: 10, 8
One Arm Row(elbow out): 50lbs x8x8x8

Cardio: 12mins run, 10 mins walk

The illness is refusing to leave me, so I don't know how this week is gonna look.

Jiml,

After 20 + years at the iron game I can tell you its usually better to lay off until you are completely over a cold than to try to workout while still sick. It will just knock down your immune system more and keep you sick longer.

That's been my experience.

JIML
Mar 13th 2008, 05:43 AM
Jiml,

After 20 + years at the iron game I can tell you its usually better to lay off until you are completely over a cold than to try to workout while still sick. It will just knock down your immune system more and keep you sick longer.

That's been my experience.

I know bro, I was feeling good already and then I felt crappy for a few days and now I'm feeling good again, so workouted today. Also its starting to get warm here so that's good too.

Wednesday 12/3/08

Db Press: 45 x8x8 50 x4 (Crap... why do those 5lbs make so much difference?)
Pull-Ups: 10, 10 <--- that's right, cranked out 10 both sets, really pushed myself on these today
EZ Curls: 80 lbs x5x5x5
*Dont know what these are called where u lift db in front of you* 20lbs x8x8x8
*Cardio: 13 minuts run, 10 min walk

JIML
Mar 14th 2008, 11:02 PM
Friday 14/3/08

DB Bench: 60lbs x8x8x8 (all bb benches were taken)
Dips: 35lbs x10, x10
DB Row: 60lbs x8x8
Machine Row: 70lbs x8x8

Cardio: 14min run, 10 min walk

JIML
Mar 18th 2008, 04:07 AM
Weighted myself today ---> 183 :o!!!
I'm down 8lbs and 3% to 4% bf... so I actually doing pretty good.

Toolman
Mar 18th 2008, 01:19 PM
Weighted myself today ---> 183 :o!!!
I'm down 8lbs and 3% to 4% bf... so I actually doing pretty good.

JIML,

What's your BF% now and how do you measure?

That's great work btw bro!

JIML
Mar 18th 2008, 04:38 PM
JIML,

What's your BF% now and how do you measure?

That's great work btw bro!

I have this scale that measures it... it is supposed to find the body fat by sending an electric pulse through the body, it says that I am 17% right now, but most reviews say that this scale is not good for finding out your initial bf, but it is a good reference of whether its going up or down.

atrus912
Mar 20th 2008, 01:47 AM
That's amazing. Good work.

JIML
Mar 26th 2008, 06:04 AM
A little update, I did workout last week, but it was quick workouts because I had to study a lot. But during the weekend I went to a birthday party and wrestled with one guy and somehow injured my shoulder, hahaha, so I woke up the next day with my shoulder hurting like crazy, it's a lot better today though, so I should be good to go pretty soon.

JIML
Apr 1st 2008, 06:25 AM
Monday 3/31/08

Didn't make it to the gym today, so i just did some bodyweight stuff:
Pushups: 20, 20, 20
Reverse Row: 10, 10, 10

Still a little pain in the shoulder, but I should be good as new very soon.

JIML
Apr 6th 2008, 06:26 AM
Friday 4/4/08

Dumbbell press: 45x8 x8, 50x6
Chins: 12, 11
EZ: 80lbs x4, x4, x4
Run 10min

I did workout on monday and wednesday, but I don't remember what I was doing. Also my shoulder feels a lot better, didn't feel any pain on friday at all, so I'm good.

JIML
May 13th 2008, 08:08 AM
Ok, I was out of it for about 2 weeks, I was just too busy with midterms. So now that I'm free, I'll should be back into lifting by the end of this week. Also, in about 2 weeks I'm going abroad, so I dunno what will happen haha, will hope for the best.