PDA

View Full Version : Is it okay to be mad at God?

stillforgiven
Oct 15th 2007, 03:00 AM
I've heard some preachers say it's okay, that He's big enough to handle our anger and hurts. And I've heard some say no, that it's walking the line of blasphemy to question things with Him. Neither one of these POV were backed up immediately with scriptures due to the settings.

Anyone know for sure?

ravi4u2
Oct 15th 2007, 04:25 AM
I've heard some preachers say it's okay, that He's big enough to handle our anger and hurts. And I've heard some say no, that it's walking the line of blasphemy to question things with Him. Neither one of these POV were backed up immediately with scriptures due to the settings.

Anyone know for sure?Just walk in a truthful relationship with the Father. Just remember, He only wants to give you good gifts.

Cheza Brown
Oct 15th 2007, 06:27 AM

Anyone know for sure?

I think God welcomes our honest opinions and feelings, and wants us to sort things out with Him.

Isa 1:18 "Come now, and let us reason together," Says the LORD, "Though your sins are as scarlet, They will be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They will be like wool.

Isa 41:21 "Present your case," the LORD says. "Bring forward your strong arguments," The King of Jacob says.

Isa 43:26 "Put Me in remembrance, let us argue our case together; State your cause, that you may be proved right.

As for anger, it says in this verse...

Eph 4:25 Therefore, laying aside falsehood, SPEAK TRUTH EACH ONE of you WITH HIS NEIGHBOR, for we are members of one another.
Eph 4:26 BE ANGRY, AND yet DO NOT SIN; do not let the sun go down on your anger,

He expects people to work out their anger issues with each other, and I think that by coming to Him to work out anger is a good thing.

From experience, way before I heard any preacher tell me it was a sin to cast my anger on God, something happened in my life that left me with a lot of anger that turned inward into depression. The Holy Spirit gently led me over a matter of months to let that anger out to God. I had blamed Him for my problem, because in my mind He was the only one who could have prevented it. I ranted and raved at God, then I repented, then I forgave God and asked Him to forgive me. He did exactly that, and I was set free. Totally and wonderfully set free.

It all comes down to honesty as the last poster said. You must be totally honest with God. He IS big enough to take anything... as long as your attitude is right.

Steven3
Oct 15th 2007, 06:47 AM
Hey, both good answers
It all comes down to honesty as the last poster said. You must be totally honest with God. He IS big enough to take anything... as long as your attitude is right.Yes. There is certainly a lot of frustration and even anger at God in some of the OT dialogues with God - Psalms, Job, Jeremiah, Jonah, Hosea. But in all of these cases these holy men refused to go as far as Job's wife pressed him to do - Job 2:9 "curse God and die". In the NT again, it is attitude, as long as we are not pots "talking back" to the Potter" as in Romans 9, it is okay to be frustrated, 'mad', at God, and pray for him to explain things.
God bless
Steven

Duane Morse
Oct 15th 2007, 07:38 AM
Just walk in a truthful relationship with the Father. Just remember, He only wants to give you good gifts.
Perhaps that is so.

But on the other hand, He must also dish out the bad with the good.
There is no good without evil, after all.

Wants only go so far, where needs are concerned.

With us, the ends can not justify the means.
But with God - the ends must justify the means.

We are not allowed to use evil means to bring a result of what we - in our limited fashion and understanding - can see as our ultimately 'good' goals.

God however, uses evil in His ultimate Plan for His Ultimately Good goals.

It is one of those, 'what is good for the goose is not good for the gander' type of things.

God the Father ultimately makes the rules, and is at once both within and without the rules (as the Son said - I and the Father are one).
The Father is without... the Son is within... and the Holy Spirit is the link that binds and defines them both into and as a unified whole. She is the hindrance and the stop-gap. She is the balance in-between.
She, is the one that gives, or denies.

And that is Jesus, between Man and God.
That is Man, between Jesus and God.
That is God, between Man and Jesus.

The Trinity is more than, 1,2,3=1.
It is:
And all of the above, both and at once concurrently and consecutively, as well as contiguously.

Christian_lady
Oct 15th 2007, 11:28 AM
Do I think it's human to be angry at God? Definitely.

Do I think it's 'ok'? No, because that is sort of how Satan works to separate us from Him.

Do I think it's forgivable? Absolutely.

What do I suggest if you feel anger?

Don't pretend you don't feel it, He knows everything. Talk to Him like you would talk to a loving parent. Close your door and tell Him what you feel. Ask Him to help you with this emotion and He will show you the light.

stillforgiven
Oct 15th 2007, 03:03 PM
Don't pretend you don't feel it...

That's me right there, shutting away my heart even from God - as if it were even possible. Until the depression finally becomes so deep that I turn to things like self injury or life-threatening behaviors, daring God to kill me. (I'm not to that point this time.)

I am frustrated with things, and I do feel like God should have been able to keep certain things from happening. I've struggled so much with wondering just how much of God's will is derailed by humans. If God is sovereign, why can one person ruin everything. I've lost most of my trust in Him to have good plans for me - even fighting to keep believing in the verse that has always been an anchor for me (in my signature).

Thank you all for your answers. I've copied them to a word doc to ponder, and I will begin to open my heart to Him and let Him heal me.

miepie
Oct 15th 2007, 03:13 PM
I have been angry a lot with God in the past...... I was angry that I have such a fragile health and a lifethreatening disease...... it took me some time to realize that I was in the wrong and not Him...... and "we" made peace with each other and whenever I am angry now, it's solved within no time....... but I hardly get angry at Him anymore because I know He's the reason I am still fighting to live......

If you need to talk my friend, you can always pm me..... or start a thread in Chat to the Moderators under my name..... :hug:

Love you,
Mieke :kiss:

Sold Out
Oct 15th 2007, 03:30 PM

Anyone know for sure?

A lot of people in the bible got mad at God. Sometimes we get mad to work through our issue. God is our 'daddy' and He understands when we get mad at Him...and in the end we will realize our anger was not justified:)

always
Oct 15th 2007, 04:00 PM
I wouldn't say that it is alright to be mad at God for that would be futile, it shows a spiritual immaturity.

Let's look at God's reply to Job

40:6Then answered the LORD unto Job out of the whirlwind, and said,

40:8Wilt thou also disannul my judgment? wilt thou condemn me, that thou mayest be righteous?

40:9HHast thou an arm like God? or canst thou thunder with a voice like him?

We all have to grow spiritually to a point that we understand that God knows of the trials and tribulations that we are enduring beforehand, and will allow nothing on us more than we can bear.

James 1:2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;

joy is that which sustains us through hard times, it is our strength, when we don't understand,

when we our at this point in our spiritual walk, we will look with spiritual eyes for the blessing (happiness) that is beyond the storm

ravi4u2
Oct 15th 2007, 04:25 PM
Perhaps that is so.

But on the other hand, He must also dish out the bad with the good.
There is no good without evil, after all.

Wants only go so far, where needs are concerned.

With us, the ends can not justify the means.
But with God - the ends must justify the means.

We are not allowed to use evil means to bring a result of what we - in our limited fashion and understanding - can see as our ultimately 'good' goals.

God however, uses evil in His ultimate Plan for His Ultimately Good goals.

It is one of those, 'what is good for the goose is not good for the gander' type of things.

God the Father ultimately makes the rules, and is at once both within and without the rules (as the Son said - I and the Father are one).
The Father is without... the Son is within... and the Holy Spirit is the link that binds and defines them both into and as a unified whole. She is the hindrance and the stop-gap. She is the balance in-between.
She, is the one that gives, or denies.

And that is Jesus, between Man and God.
That is Man, between Jesus and God.
That is God, between Man and Jesus.

The Trinity is more than, 1,2,3=1.
It is:
And all of the above, both and at once concurrently and consecutively, as well as contiguously.This seems like new age psycho babble. Good can and does exist without evil. God is Good [period].

ravi4u2
Oct 15th 2007, 04:30 PM
That's me right there, shutting away my heart even from God - as if it were even possible. Until the depression finally becomes so deep that I turn to things like self injury or life-threatening behaviors, daring God to kill me. (I'm not to that point this time.)

I am frustrated with things, and I do feel like God should have been able to keep certain things from happening. I've struggled so much with wondering just how much of God's will is derailed by humans. If God is sovereign, why can one person ruin everything. I've lost most of my trust in Him to have good plans for me - even fighting to keep believing in the verse that has always been an anchor for me (in my signature).

Thank you all for your answers. I've copied them to a word doc to ponder, and I will begin to open my heart to Him and let Him heal me.There is an article in this link: http://lifegathering.bravejournal.com/entry/22132 which may bless your heart.

Christian_lady
Oct 15th 2007, 05:41 PM
I will begin to open my heart to Him and let Him heal me.

AMEN! :cool:
That's really all you have to do in this lifetime. Nothing happens without God's permission, even the bad stuff. So perhaps your anger comes from the idea that IF God is sooo loving, why would He allow suffering for His children? Well, we were suppose to live in a perfect world with no tears or pain. But Adam and Eve broke the rules so God had to throw them out of the Garden and couldn't have them living forever anymore (hence sin = death).

Someone might question IF God loves us sooo much why would He allow Adam and Eve to eat the forbidden fruit? Because love is a choice, not forced. If God FORCED Adam and Eve to love him, what kind of lesson would that be? You can't make someone love you and the feeling of someone forcing love upon you is very degrading. Adam and Eve chose not to trust God and the result of their action is negative (since God is good and only good).

So if something 'negative' happens (or happened) to you, I hope you consider that first of all we live in a fallen world so negative things will happen until our Lord returns (and it will be good again).

Second of all, Satan wants you to feel hurt, angry and broken so don't give him the time of day. Tell that snake no matter what he does you will never stop trusting God.

Third of all, sometimes getting to know God involves a painful lesson. It wasn't suppose to be like this but as I said the Adam and Eve sort of messed it up for us. I hope this makes sense, I tend to write long-winded messages with low logic. :rofl:

stillforgiven
Oct 15th 2007, 06:24 PM
I wouldn't say that it is alright to be mad at God for that would be futile, it shows a spiritual immaturity.

I don't deny this. I know I'm still very immature in most areas of my spiritual life. Fortunately, I'm not as bad as I was a couple of years ago. I still haven't cut or tried something dangerous, and I don't see myself going there.

A lot of people in the bible got mad at God. Sometimes we get mad to work through our issue. God is our 'daddy' and He understands when we get mad at Him...and in the end we will realize our anger was not justified:)

That's where I'm fighting to get to.

There is an article in this link: http://lifegathering.bravejournal.com/entry/22132 which may bless your heart.

I will look at it. Thanks. :)

I hope this makes sense, I tend to write long-winded messages with low logic.

It makes sense with good logic. The funny thing is, I've said similar things to others. I seem to be in a place where my heart has forgotten what it is to trust in God. I think I tried to be strong and to stand on my own too long, instead of talking to others about how I was feeling. I am trying to grow up and fight my own battles instead of waiting for someone to fight them for me (a trait of abuse survivors that I'm working to overcome).

If you need to talk my friend, you can always pm me..... or start a thread in Chat to the Moderators under my name..... :hug:

Love you,
Mieke :kiss:

Thank you. :hug: It's strange how just a simple gesture of compassion can make me cry. Could be why I usually don't give people the chance to show it. I may take you up on it as I try to work things out in my heart and head.

I appreciate all of your replies. I'm not going to stop until I've broken thru to the winning side again. And I'm not going to fake it either, as I usually do, just dealing with the emotions until I could numb myself again. That's only set me up to be here again, and I don't like "here". I've got a long journey ahead, but I'm up for it.

Lyndie
Oct 15th 2007, 11:43 PM
I was angry with God about my mom a while ago. I just didn't understand why, if He wasn't going to heal, then just please take her home so she wouldn't suffer anymore. I spoke to my pastor, and she told me that while she understands it, it was misdirected. I was really angry about the situation, but we always think its easier to 'blame' someone. (Today I know why she suffered for a while, because in that time I learned alot about myself, and she had the chance to accept Christ. There's a bunch of other stuff, but that's another thread. I hope you understand what I'm saying though.)
I will :pray: for you!!

stillforgiven
Oct 16th 2007, 11:51 PM
I do understand what you're saying, and I am glad your mom accepted Christ before she died.

I appreciate your prayers. :hug:

Mograce2U
Oct 19th 2007, 04:40 PM
I think if there is one rule every Christian ought to follow it's that they ought never to blame God for anything. Faith in God is what we are to have and if we find ourselves in a position where it looks like its God's fault then we ought to know we need to be on our knees before Him.

Circumstances can bring confusion but that is because we err in not knowing the scriptures. God tells us to trust Him and not man. He tells us He will never leave us nor forsake us. He says that He works all things for our good. He tells us to rejoice in trials and in chastening because He is the Victor and we need to be sanctified. We need to seek the presence of the Lord because He and He alone will be the One to bring us through. And our faith in Him will grow as we boldly seek the grace of God to help us.

The anger of man cannot bring the righteousness of God, only faith can do that.

Be not faithless, but believing (John 20:27).

stillforgiven
Oct 19th 2007, 05:23 PM
I really am fighting back to the faith I once had, and I know I'll make it back. Some of this will take time, but I am convinced God will walk me through some of these questions I have that still break my heart. Like others have said, it's about my attitude, which has greatly improved since my OP, thanks to all of this support and prayer. :hug: I'm no longer hiding the pain with so much anger (can't say it's all gone yet, but most of it is), and my heart is a little more open for healing.

I appreciate all of your comments and prayers.

ServantofTruth
Oct 19th 2007, 06:16 PM
I really feel that christian lady set us all on the right course of thinking on this topic. I was also worried by that earlier post, but felt it could be read two ways - God using evil, as it coming from him or God allowing Satan to do evil till our Lord returns. I love the book of Job and it answers questions about the God/ Satan relationship, upto a point, though you obviously need all the bible - Revelations, the gospels inparticular.
God certainly does NOT do evil. But he will understand our confusion over bad things happening beyond our limited understanding. I remember a priest giving up their faith in the UK not that long ago making the newspapers front pages because their child was murdered. I felt sorry that their faith and understanding was so poor for a teacher of the Word of God. I really hope when the raw pain, edge came off, they reflected on scripture and returned to the faith. Please also see gospels - if your child asked for.....would you give them.....if you evil people know how to give good gifts, how much more will your father in heaven.
Be assured God can only love you.