PDA

View Full Version : Stigmatas

xlive_4_godx
Oct 19th 2007, 03:43 AM
Recently, I've seen a show on stigmatas on the discovery channel. It's truly an amazing concept; one that I have certainly never heard of before!

I cannot remember reading anything of this sort in the scriptures, so I was wondering, does anyone else have a personal opinion that these are real or fake? Is there any scriptures that you know of that support/deny it?

Really all I can think of is in Galations, where Paul says "I bear on my body the marks of Jesus," (can't remember the verse right now). I wouldn't think that Paul would have had a stigmata and it not be documented as such...?

Ideas?

Definition:
Stigmata's are bodily marks, sores, or sensations of pain in locations corresponding to the crucifixion wounds of Jesus. Marks in the Latin Vulgate rendered as "stigmata." An individual bearing stigmata is referred to as a stigmatic.

jeffreys
Oct 19th 2007, 04:03 AM
I've never personally seen a stigmata, nor known anyone with such a thing. But I cannot honestly say whether or not they are real.

I'm very curious to know if anyone here has had one, seen one, or known somebody with a stigmata.

Thanks for the question!

Soj
Oct 19th 2007, 04:05 AM
Recently, I've seen a show on stigmatas on the discovery channel. It's truly an amazing concept; one that I have certainly never heard of before!I personally don't believe it is a Biblical phenomenon. Being a Roman Catholic thing, I lump it in the same basket with the apparitions of Mary and other such "miracles."

The verse you refer to is Galatians 6:17

From henceforth let no man trouble me: for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus.which I believe goes hand in hand with 1 Corinthians 4:10-13

We are fools for Christ's sake, but ye are wise in Christ; we are weak, but ye are strong; ye are honourable, but we are despised. 11 Even unto this present hour we both hunger, and thirst, and are naked, and are buffeted, and have no certain dwellingplace; 12 And labour, working with our own hands: being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we suffer it: 13 Being defamed, we intreat: we are made as the filth of the world, and are the offscouring of all things unto this day.and with 2 Corinthians 11:24-26

Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one. 25 Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep; 26 In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;

ikester7579
Oct 19th 2007, 10:09 AM
Christ shed the last blood for sin atonement. Any other blood shed is Satan's counterfeit. Christ's sacrafice was done when He said it is finished. It is not a continual sacrafice.

heb 6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

To imply that more blood needs to be shed (Crucify afresh) is to put Christ to an open shame. What He did on the cross was perfect and cannot, and will not be repeated. No man or woman can subsitute for the shed blood of Christ.

Teke
Oct 19th 2007, 04:42 PM
Recently, I've seen a show on stigmatas on the discovery channel. It's truly an amazing concept; one that I have certainly never heard of before!

I cannot remember reading anything of this sort in the scriptures, so I was wondering, does anyone else have a personal opinion that these are real or fake? Is there any scriptures that you know of that support/deny it?

Really all I can think of is in Galations, where Paul says "I bear on my body the marks of Jesus," (can't remember the verse right now). I wouldn't think that Paul would have had a stigmata and it not be documented as such...?

Ideas?

Definition:
Stigmata's are bodily marks, sores, or sensations of pain in locations corresponding to the crucifixion wounds of Jesus. Marks in the Latin Vulgate rendered as "stigmata." An individual bearing stigmata is referred to as a stigmatic.

Surely miracles happen, as scripture supports the miraculous. But the greater question, to me, of stigmata, is why. I would tread carefully, as it could well be a matter of vainglory.

I can tell you that only the Latin church excepts this type miracle. It is unique to them as tongues is to a Pentecostal. ;)

dancedwithdolphin
Oct 19th 2007, 05:01 PM
My personal view is that this isnt from God.

If I were to say what Paul said in Galatians, it wouldnt be because I actually have been crucified. Jesus told us to daily take up our crosses and follow him. Our act of dying is dying to ourselves, the things we want. I may want to spend all that I have on myself, but instead of being greedy I sacrifice my own wants and desires for that of what my family needs. I offer myself to the greater good. So when I bear the marks of Christ, I am bearing his life as my own.

All thru scriptures God gave warnings to his people, for his desire wasnt that they die, or be sick or perish. His desire was that they have life more abundantly. For example God told Adam not to eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, for on the day that he did he would surely die. God didnt want Adam to perish so he gave him a warning. If we go ahead and disreguard the warning of God, then we must suffer the consequence of that action.

Isaiah says: Yet it was our weakness he carried; it was our sorrows that weighed him down. And we thought his troubles were a punishment from God for his own sins! But he was wounded and crushed for our sins. He was beaten that we might have peace. He was whipped, and we were healed! All of us have strayed away like sheep. We have left God's paths to follow our own. Yet the Lord laid on him the guilt and sins of us all. 53:4-6

When we witness to people what do we tell them? We tell them "Jesus" paid the price for them. And that it is impossible for us to have paid that price. Only Jesus could.

So my thought is God wouldnt make us physically go thru what he asked Jesus to do for us. Our hope is placed on Jesus.

I remember reading about Peter. Peter said he was not worthy to be crucified as his Lord was. And that was why he was crucified upside down.

If Peter felt he was unworthy, and he was a disciple of Christ. Who are we?

God Bless

Frances
Oct 19th 2007, 06:17 PM
I can tell you that only the Latin church excepts this type miracle. It is unique to them as tongues is to a Pentecostal. ;)

Stigmata is certainly unique to the Roman Catholic church, and I disregard it in the way I do their worshipping Mary and a long list of those they have decided are Saints.

However, Tongues is not unique to Pentecostals, that evidence of Baptism in God's Holy Spirit is, to my certain knowledge, found in almost every Christian denomination.

AlainaJ
Oct 19th 2007, 06:33 PM

Ideas?

I have seen such shows on TV too- it is associated with the Catholic church. Often people bleed from their hands or feet.

I can't see biblically how this can be from God?

I also have seen statues crying blood- to me these seem like false signs and wonders;)

Why do the Catholics think it is a miracle from God?

Definition:

Are these people saying they are being crucified like Christ or experencing His death?

dan
Oct 20th 2007, 07:10 AM
...KJV.

COL 1:23 If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;
COL 1:24 Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:
COL 1:25 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God;

GAL 6:17 From henceforth let no man trouble me: for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus.

It seems to say that this is confirmation of being made a minister.

Soj
Oct 20th 2007, 07:35 AM
COL 1:24 Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:

GAL 6:17 From henceforth let no man trouble me: for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus.

It seems to say that this is confirmation of being made a minister.I think it's clear that the verse in Galatians 6 is speaking about suffering for Christ in light of other verses posted, Colossians 1:24 being a top example.

Every Christian is called to bear a cross for Christ, to "bear the marks of the Lord Jesus", and 'stigmata' has nothing to do with it.

Duane Morse
Oct 20th 2007, 09:31 AM
Then again, there seem to be people suffering from this 'stigmata' - the bodily marks or pains resembling the wounds of the crucified Jesus.

Would this be by the works of Satan?
Doesn't make sense to me that Satan would inflict the physical wounds of Jesus as a witness to His suffering as a counterpoint to the Truth of His wounds and suffering.

After all, anti-Christ means just that - Anti, against, opposing.

It would seem (to me) more that God may be inflicting these phenomenon to emphasize a point.

Just because it does not show up more in the Bible does not make it unworthy of consideration - or, to be considered an act of Satan.

ikester7579
Oct 20th 2007, 10:30 AM
Since what Christ did on the cross is the most powerful thing against Satan. Would it be fitting that Satan would have a counterfeit just like it? One that points more towards one church that exalts Mary to queen of heaven to be as powerful as the King of Kings?

After all, did not Satan say: is 14:13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:

Placing Mary as "queen of heaven" is placing an authoritive figure from earth to be exalted as a goddess.

GothicAngel
Oct 20th 2007, 03:25 PM
Stigmata is certainly unique to the Roman Catholic church, and I disregard it in the way I do their worshipping Mary and a long list of those they have decided are Saints.

Double predestination is certainly unique to the Calvinists.

dan
Oct 21st 2007, 12:37 AM
...That have the Stigmata also heal! Does Satan heal? (Not even on his best day)

jeffreys
Oct 21st 2007, 12:56 AM
I'm curious...

Has anybody here actually HAD a stigmata?

Has anybody here known somebody who had a stigmata and/or seen one in person?

I haven't, but I'm wondering if anybody has - and what it was like.