PDA

View Full Version : Sanctification

DSK
Oct 24th 2007, 12:00 AM
What is your understanding of sanctification? :hmm:

NightWatchman
Oct 24th 2007, 12:11 AM
My foundational basis for sanctification is found in this New Testament Scripture:

2COR 3:18 But we all, with unveiled face beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord,
are transformed into the same image from glory to glory,
even as from the Lord the Spirit.

From the beginning of my life as a Christian, I am regularly transformed into ever-increasing Christlikeness, from the Lord the Spirit, not by my own "hard work." My part is to simply behold the beauty of the LORD, as it is written in Psalm 27.

I'm sure there are many other explanations that are helpful as well.

walked
Oct 24th 2007, 12:27 AM
I see the robes worn by the Jewish Temple priest as a sanctification.

I see the robe of Christ blood that we wear in the presence of the God the Father as sanctification.

I see the calling of man to come out of the fallen world to gather to Christ as sanctification.

I see a person praying over their meal as sanctifying the food to be used to glorify God.

Redeemed by Grace
Oct 24th 2007, 12:30 AM
Genesis 2:3
Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

Exodus 31:13
"But as for you, speak to the sons of Israel, saying, 'You shall surely observe My sabbaths; for this is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the LORD who sanctifies you.

John 17:17
"Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth.

Romans 6:22
But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life.

1 Corinthians 1:2
To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus, saints by calling, with all who in every place call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours:

1 Corinthians 6:11
Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

Hebrews 2:11
For both He who sanctifies and those who are sanctified are all from one Father; for which reason He is not ashamed to call them brethren,

Is by God, for God, through God, in God... for He decrees it, He holds it, He protects it

Soj
Oct 24th 2007, 12:32 AM
To be set apart as holy for God's use.

The first mention of sanctificaion in the Bible is where God blesses the 7th day and separates it from all the other days as a day of rest:

Genesis 2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

The Christian is sanctified through God's Spirit and God's word, but believers who rebel against the Spirit's working in their lives and do not spend time in the Bible are often not separated for God's glory.

2 Thessalonians 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

walked
Oct 24th 2007, 12:33 AM
Romans 6:22
But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life.

Woo Hoo, Amen ! :pp :pp :pp :pp

walked
Oct 24th 2007, 12:34 AM
To be set apart as holy for God's use.

Woo Hoo, Amen ! :pp :pp :pp :pp

watchinginawe
Oct 24th 2007, 12:45 AM

I like the following verse just now for my response regarding sanctification: II Peter 3:18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.

There are identifiable benchmarks in our walk which we can look to as a measure of grace and sanctification. But no matter how much we might "grow", we still have a vast headroom above to mature in grace.

God Bless!

Wintermute
Oct 24th 2007, 12:54 AM

I like to look at the sanctuary system for an understanding of this.

In the outer court before the Holy & Most Holy Place there is the alter of sacrifice and the laver. When the penitent brought an offering that same person was to take a blade and cut the throat of the animal, and symbollically place his sins on the head of the animal. This correlates with justification where the person accepts Christ as savior and claims the blood of Christ to take away sin. There is the laver representing both baptism and the external washing of sins.

In the Holy place there are three articles. The seven branch candlestick, the table of shewbread and the alter of incense. These represent the functions of the Christian walk that work to cleans the inner man. That is, the shewbread represents reading and meditating on the Word of God (Christ is the bread). The altar of incense represents the prayer life, the prayers being like sweet incense before the throne of God (Christ offers our prayers before the Father, interceding in our behalf). The candlestick, let your light so shine before men that they may see you good works and praise God (Christ is the Light that shines out through us). The three elements represent the daily walk with Christ (indeed they were part of the daily adminstration of the sanctuary, that language is used in the old testament) and dying daily in Christ. This compartment represents sanctification.

Then there is the Most Holy Place. Here there is the ark of the covenant. The presence of God manifested here. Over the law contained in the ark is the mercy seat. Inside the ark, in addition to the law, there is the manna and Aaron's rod. There is glorification here, resurrection here (Aaron's rod), judgment here (the law covered in mercy) and the manna has many dimensions I would invite you to discover on your own.

So, to recap in brief. The outer court, justification. The Holy Place, sanctification. The Most Holy Place, glorification.

It's all very intriguing to me anyway. Hope that helps.

In case you want to get really trippy with this stuff, apply it to Revelation. In the Churches, Christ is walking among the candlesticks. In the seals there are clues in the introduction that indicate it correlates to the table of shewbread. In the trumpets there is an angel with a censor in his hands (most likely a reference to Christ) correlating with the altar of incense.

DSK
Oct 24th 2007, 01:02 AM

I see the robe of Christ blood that we wear in the presence of the God the Father as sanctification.

I see the calling of man to come out of the fallen world to gather to Christ as sanctification.

I see a person praying over their meal as sanctifying the food to be used to glorify God.

1. What is your definition of sanctification?
2. How is sanctification accomplished?
3. Are we passive or pro-active in becoming sanctified?

walked
Oct 24th 2007, 01:16 AM

I like the following verse just now for my response regarding sanctification: II Peter 3:18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.

There are identifiable benchmarks in our walk which we can look to as a measure of grace and sanctification. But no matter how much we might "grow", we still have a vast headroom above to mature in grace.

God Bless!
Amen !!! ...there is evidence to be found of our sanctification in our growth and renewal day to day, moment to moment.

walked
Oct 24th 2007, 01:18 AM
I like to look at the sanctuary system for an understanding of this.

In the outer court before the Holy & Most Holy Place there is the alter of sacrifice and the laver. When the penitent brought an offering that same person was to take a blade and cut the throat of the animal, and symbollically place his sins on the head of the animal. This correlates with justification where the person accepts Christ as savior and claims the blood of Christ to take away sin. There is the laver representing both baptism and the external washing of sins.

In the Holy place there are three articles. The seven branch candlestick, the table of shewbread and the alter of incense. These represent the functions of the Christian walk that work to cleans the inner man. That is, the shewbread represents reading and meditating on the Word of God (Christ is the bread). The altar of incense represents the prayer life, the prayers being like sweet incense before the throne of God (Christ offers our prayers before the Father, interceding in our behalf). The candlestick, let your light so shine before men that they may see you good works and praise God (Christ is the Light that shines out through us). The three elements represent the daily walk with Christ (indeed they were part of the daily adminstration of the sanctuary, that language is used in the old testament) and dying daily in Christ. This compartment represents sanctification.

Then there is the Most Holy Place. Here there is the ark of the covenant. The presence of God manifested here. Over the law contained in the ark is the mercy seat. Inside the ark, in addition to the law, there is the manna and Aaron's rod. There is glorification here, resurrection here (Aaron's rod), judgment here (the law covered in mercy) and the manna has many dimensions I would invite you to discover on your own.

So, to recap in brief. The outer court, justification. The Holy Place, sanctification. The Most Holy Place, glorification.

It's all very intriguing to me anyway. Hope that helps.

In case you want to get really trippy with this stuff, apply it to Revelation. In the Churches, Christ is walking among the candlesticks. In the seals there are clues in the introduction that indicate it correlates to the table of shewbread. In the trumpets there is an angel with a censor in his hands (most likely a reference to Christ) correlating with the altar of incense.

Amen! wonderful shadows/symbols/images of our own sanctification unto His salvation through His mercy and grace to us.

walked
Oct 24th 2007, 01:43 AM

Are these additional question because you don't know the answers or, are these additional questions because you want to pluck a splinter from my eye?

If its the latter, thanks but no thanks, I'll leave the surgery to the Great Physician, not that I think you are not qualified, its just that I know He is qualified.

cross crusader
Oct 24th 2007, 02:37 AM

I am sanctified, justified and purified at salvation. No second and third or fourth works of grace needed for me.

Sold Out
Oct 24th 2007, 12:57 PM

To sanctify means to be 'set apart'. We are to be set apart from the world and follow Jesus Christ. It is a lifetime process of God forming & shaping our character into the likeness of Christ.

"For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren."

DSK
Oct 24th 2007, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by DSK

Are these additional question because you don't know the answers or, are these additional questions because you want to pluck a splinter from my eye?

No, they are not additional questions. They are merely the same question I initially asked you more narrowly focused.

In the "Can Salvation be lost" thread this is what you said:

"I'd be happy to share my understanding of sanctification if you start another thread on sanctification."
http://bibleforums.org/showpost.php?p=1418860&postcount=92

I was only asking the above question because I don't personally believe you have as yet provided a definition for sanctification. And I thought you said you would be happy to share your understanding.

I thought that we could compare definitions of what sanctification is.

If the questions I provided are too difficult for you, or make you feel uncomfortable in answering them, then I understand.

Teke
Oct 24th 2007, 04:22 PM

Eph 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

Eph 5:27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

walked
Oct 24th 2007, 07:13 PM
No, they are not additional questions. They are merely the same question I initially asked you more narrowly focused.

In the "Can Salvation be lost" thread this is what you said:

I was only asking the above question because I don't personally believe you have as yet provided a definition for sanctification. And I thought you said you would be happy to share your understanding.

I thought that we could compare definitions of what sanctification is.

If the questions I provided are too difficult for you, or make you feel uncomfortable in answering them, then I understand.

Gods word defines sanctification good enough for me, I'll stick with that definition and not any men may want me to have. He is my Corrector and Teacher, Physician and Healer, Savior and Redeemer.
I would rather compare how I think with what the word of God says and, I have no desire to conform to, learn from or, please any man, if I have a splinter in my eye I would rather have the great physician point it out and remove it.

SemperReformanda
Oct 24th 2007, 09:05 PM
Eph 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

Eph 5:27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Of Sanctification

13:1 They, who are effectually called and regenerated, having a new heart and a new spirit created in them, are further sanctified, really and personally, through the virtue of Christís death and resurrection (Act_20:32; Rom_6:5, Rom_6:6; 1Co_6:11; Phi_3:10), by His Word and Spirit dwelling in them (Joh_17:17; Eph_5:26; 2Th_2:13): the dominion of the whole body of sin is destroyed (Rom_6:6, Rom_6:14), and the several lusts thereof are more and more weakened and mortified (Rom_8:13; Gal_5:24); and they more and more quickened and strengthened in all saving graces (Eph_3:16-19; Col_1:11), to the practice of true holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord (2Co_7:1; Heb_12:14).

13:2 This sanctification is throughout, in the whole man (1Th_5:23); yet imperfect in this life, there abiding still some remnants of corruption in every part (Rom_7:18, Rom_7:23; Phi_3:12; 1Jo_1:10): whence ariseth a continual and irreconcilable war; the flesh lusting against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh (Gal_5:17; 1Pe_2:11).

13:3 In which war, although the remaining corruption, for a time, may much prevail (Rom_7:23); yet through the continual supply of strength from the sanctifying Spirit of Christ, the regenerate part doth overcome(Rom_6:14; Eph_4:15, Eph_4:16; 1Jo_5:4); and so, the saints grow in grace(2Co_3:18; 2Pe_3:18), perfecting holiness in the fear of God (2Co_7:1).

DSK
Oct 24th 2007, 09:49 PM

Gods word defines sanctification good enough for me, I'll stick with that definition and not any men may want me to have. He is my Corrector and Teacher, Physician and Healer, Savior and Redeemer.
I would rather compare how I think with what the word of God says and, I have no desire to conform to, learn from or, please any man, if I have a splinter in my eye I would rather have the great physician point it out and remove it.

Originally Posted by walked
"I'd be happy to share my understanding of sanctification if you start another thread on sanctification."
http://bibleforums.org/showpos...0&postcount=92

Where is your happiness in sharing and discussing this topic. I only see a reluctance on your part to share.

No one ever said you have a splinter in your eye, not me or anyone else. Do you have an inferiority complex or something?

Since you have been unable to provide any definition of "sanctification" let me provide you with a basic definition, in case anyone ever asks you for a definition of it again.

sanctify - hagiazo - verb - to separate, to set apart unto God

walked
Oct 25th 2007, 05:32 AM
Where is your happiness in sharing and discussing this topic. I only see a reluctance on your part to share.

No one ever said you have a splinter in your eye, not me or anyone else. Do you have an inferiority complex or something?

Since you have been unable to provide any definition of "sanctification" let me provide you with a basic definition, in case anyone ever asks you for a definition of it again.

sanctify - hagiazo - verb - to separate, to set apart unto God

You asked me to share my understanding of sanctification, so I came here to the thread you created to do that...once I gave you 4 examples that clearly fit the definition (I will post them once more below)...I did what I said I would do, I came here to your thread and gave you my understanding of sanctification.
Then, you come back with addition questions
and
I want to compare definitions with you.

Well if this insults you, I'm sorry.
I came and did what I said I would do!

I have not asked for any help with my understanding of any certain truths of God from you.

I will share the Gospel with anyone who is willing to hear, including you.

I wont sit alongside a man or at any mans feet and compare Gods revelations to me as compared to Gods revelations to them ...unless I know I am lacking in a said understanding or if the other man feels they are lacking in any said understanding, in hopes of a fruitful result.

Now since you already stated that you don't lack understanding of sanctification, and I didn't say I lack it either.
And since the history with me and yourself up to this point has been nothing but you challenging an arguing topics out of context of post I've posted on a different thread here at bibleforums the last two days. Then this is my excuse for having no desire to feed your flames.
....examine your motives, I have.

Here again, is my understanding of what sanctification is, in examples below.
...I see the robes worn by the Jewish Temple priest as a sanctification.
...I see the robe of Christ blood that we wear in the presence of the God the Father as sanctification.
...I see the calling of man to come out of the fallen world to gather to Christ as sanctification.
...I see a person praying over their meal as sanctifying the food to be used to glorify God.

jeffweeder
Oct 25th 2007, 06:40 AM
What is your understanding of sanctification?

Being Justified by his blood, now comes the long battle to form Christ in you.
We become more like him everyday by taking steps toward him,
Until the morning star rises in our hearts . We allow the Spirit to lead us into all the truth, Being transformed by the renewing of our minds.

DSK
Oct 25th 2007, 12:40 PM
....examine your motives, I have.

Only God knows my motives, and your not God.

Enough said

My only wish was that our discussions could have been on a more pleasant note.

Shalom

RSiscoe
Oct 25th 2007, 01:14 PM

The purification of the will, and the actions we perform to help bring it about.

walked
Oct 25th 2007, 01:46 PM
My only wish was that our discussions could have been on a more pleasant note.

Shalom

Since the history with me and yourself up to this point has been nothing but you challenging an arguing topics out of context of post I've posted on a different thread and topic here at bibleforums over the last three days. (you created this history)(I've been defending my position from the start of this short unfruitful history) This is my excuse for having no desire to have any future discussions with you, because that history so far has been anything but pleasant and fruitful.