PDA

View Full Version : Alive or Dead?

VerticalReality
Oct 28th 2007, 08:59 PM
This is something I think would be interesting to discuss.

I'm interested to see what the overall opinion is here among believers. Do you believe that the OT saints were born again spiritually?

Were Abraham, David, Isaiah, Elijah, and so on alive spiritually or were they dead in trespasses like Ephesians 2 describes?

What makes one born again? Does it have to be someone looking back in faith at what Jesus Christ did for man on the cross, or can an Old Testament saint look forward to the same event in faith and be born again?

Thoughts?

ProjectPeter
Oct 28th 2007, 09:16 PM
John 3:3 Jesus answered and said to him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."

If they ain't... they ain't there. :) I gotta go with they are there.

VerticalReality
Oct 28th 2007, 09:19 PM
John 3:3 Jesus answered and said to him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."

If they ain't... they ain't there. :) I gotta go with they are there.

Right. However, some would argue that they went there after Jesus Christ died on the cross and redeemed them of their sins because they weren't able to go there before His death.

It seems to me that those who are "dead in trespasses" are those who haven't repented of their sin and believed by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, either by what they believe was to come or what they believe came to pass.

Soj
Oct 28th 2007, 09:26 PM

I'm interested to see what the overall opinion is here among believers. Do you believe that the OT saints were born again spiritually?

Were Abraham, David, Isaiah, Elijah, and so on alive spiritually or were they dead in trespasses like Ephesians 2 describes?

What makes one born again? Does it have to be someone looking back in faith at what Jesus Christ did for man on the cross, or can an Old Testament saint look forward to the same event in faith and be born again?

Thoughts?It's evident that the new birth is a New Testament doctrine and is connected with the Holy Spirit entering the believer and awakening his/her spirit which was dead in trespasses and sins, and from that point onwards the Spirit of God lives within that individual.

So I don't believe the Old Testament saints were born again, at least not in the same way a NT saint is. From scripture it is apparent that the Spirit of God was abiding "on" them in the OT but not "in" them, and there are accounts of the Holy Spirit leaving individuals, such as king Saul, and with Samson He left and then came back. Hence why David prayed for God not to remove his Spirit from him.

It is only in the NT, beginning in Acts 2 that the Holy Spirit began dwelling inside the believer whose body becomes the temple of God, whereas in the OT God dwelt in a temple made with hands, eg Moses's tabernacle & Solomon's temple.

ProjectPeter
Oct 28th 2007, 09:32 PM
Right. However, some would argue that they went there after Jesus Christ died on the cross and redeemed them of their sins because they weren't able to go there before His death.

It seems to me that those who are "dead in trespasses" are those who haven't repented of their sin and believed by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, either by what they believe was to come or what they believe came to pass.It don't matter when they get there... as long as they get there. That doesn't change the principle.

cross crusader
Oct 28th 2007, 09:34 PM

Thoughts?

Dear VR,
Is one born again without receiving the promise of the father? LUke 24:49, Acts 4:1, Or did they each receive the Holy spirit? or is one saved without the Holy Spirit? What about Romans 4:16 and following, is Paul implying that they are born again, what promise are they receiving?

VerticalReality
Oct 28th 2007, 09:34 PM
It don't matter when they get there... as long as they get there. That doesn't change the principle.

Right, but that's not really the question. The question is, while Isaiah was alive and walking this earth, did he have a born again spirit or was he dead in trespasses? I think you can say by either view that Old Testament saints are with the Lord. However, the question is whether or not they were born again and with the Lord before Jesus' death and resurrection or were they sent to a holding place after death because they were not born again until after Jesus died on the cross and rose again.

VerticalReality
Oct 28th 2007, 09:42 PM
Dear VR,
Is one born again without receiving the promise of the father? LUke 24:49, Acts 4:1, Or did they each receive the Holy spirit? or is one saved without the Holy Spirit? What about Romans 4:16 and following, is Paul implying that they are born again, what promise are they receiving?

Hey, I'm the one asking the questions here, buddy! :lol:

Sold Out
Oct 29th 2007, 01:39 PM
Does it have to be someone looking back in faith at what Jesus Christ did for man on the cross, or can an Old Testament saint look forward to the same event in faith and be born again?

I absolutely agree with this statement.

Jesus said Himself that Abraham saw His day and was glad. (John 8:56)

Moses chose Christ over the riches of this world. (Hebrews 11:26)

When Nicodemus approached Christ to ask him how to be saved, Jesus pointed out that Nicodemus was a 'master of Israel', and should understand about the new birth. (John 3:7-10)

VerticalReality
Oct 29th 2007, 07:22 PM
The main reason I ask is because by reading Scripture it seems as if many of the Old Testament had a relationship with God that is much the same as many born again Christians today. In fact, many in the Old Testament seem to have an even closer relationship. I read about folks such as Abraham, Isaiah or Elijah and they seem to have extremely close relationships with the Lord. So close, in fact, that the Lord spoke to them on a continual basis in what appears by Scripture to be through their spirit. When God spoke to Elijah in 1 Kings 19 in that "still small voice", this surely doesn't sound like an audible voice heard through the natural ear . . .

1 Kings 19:11-12
Then He said, “Go out, and stand on the mountain before the LORD.” And behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice.

How could some folks in the Old Testament hear from God in what many today would consider a dead spirit?

ProjectPeter
Oct 29th 2007, 07:28 PM
The main reason I ask is because by reading Scripture it seems as if many of the Old Testament had a relationship with God that is much the same as many born again Christians today. In fact, many in the Old Testament seem to have an even closer relationship. I read about folks such as Abraham, Isaiah or Elijah and they seem to have extremely close relationships with the Lord. So close, in fact, that the Lord spoke to them on a continual basis in what appears by Scripture to be through their spirit. When God spoke to Elijah in 1 Kings 19 in that "still small voice", this surely doesn't sound like an audible voice heard through the natural ear . . .

How could some folks in the Old Testament hear from God in what many today would consider a dead spirit?
Cause they weren't dead in spirit. ;)

Pleroo
Oct 29th 2007, 07:42 PM

Thoughts?

3 In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." 4 "How can a man be born when he is old?" Nicodemus asked. "Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born!" 5 Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You must be born again.' 8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit." 9 "How can this be?" Nicodemus asked. 10 "You are Israel's teacher," said Jesus, "and do you not understand these things?

It would appear, from Jesus' conversation with Nicodemus, that the idea of being born again was not a new concept. He indicates that, as a teacher, Nicodemus should understand it. Since all Nicodemus had to go by at that time was the OT examples, there must have been something there which should have led him to an understanding of being born again.

VerticalReality
Oct 29th 2007, 08:10 PM
Cause they weren't dead in spirit. ;)

Which is why I believe this question has been nagging at me. You see most of those I've been surrounded with since I've been saved have taught that all those in the Old Testament weren't alive spiritually since Jesus hadn't died on the cross yet. They also teach that His Spirit was unable to dwell in those of the Old Testament because those folks were dead in sin. They teach that the Holy Spirit could only "come upon" those saints and not "dwell in" them, and Jesus' death and resurrection changed all that.

However, simply thinking on what it takes to be saved . . . Scripture simply says to repent and believe.

Taking this same concept, even the Old Testament saints did the same, so why couldn't they be born again as well?

Do you have any Scriptures you would like to share on the topic, PP?

ProjectPeter
Oct 29th 2007, 08:37 PM
Which is why I believe this question has been nagging at me. You see most of those I've been surrounded with since I've been saved have taught that all those in the Old Testament weren't alive spiritually since Jesus hadn't died on the cross yet. They also teach that His Spirit was unable to dwell in those of the Old Testament because those folks were dead in sin. They teach that the Holy Spirit could only "come upon" those saints and not "dwell in" them, and Jesus' death and resurrection changed all that.

However, simply thinking on what it takes to be saved . . . Scripture simply says to repent and believe.

Taking this same concept, even the Old Testament saints did the same, so why couldn't they be born again as well?

Do you have any Scriptures you would like to share on the topic, PP?
Short the one I posted already... here's another. I'll post more later.

1 Peter 1:1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who reside as aliens, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, who are chosen
2 according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, by the sanctifying work of the Spirit, that you may obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled with His blood: May grace and peace be yours in fullest measure.
3 ¶Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
4 to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you,
5 who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
6 In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials,
7 that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
8 and though you have not seen Him, you love Him, and though you do not see Him now, but believe in Him, you greatly rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory,
9 obtaining as the outcome of your faith the salvation of your souls.
10 As to this salvation, the prophets who prophesied of the grace that would come to you made careful search and inquiry,
11 seeking to know what person or time the Spirit of Christ within them was indicating as He predicted the sufferings of Christ and the glories to follow.
12 It was revealed to them that they were not serving themselves, but you, in these things which now have been announced to you through those who preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven -- things into which angels long to look.

Those that believed... they simply looked forward to the cross as opposed to us looking behind us. But they still looked to Christ and Him suffering. They may not have understood because it was much a mystery to them. But they nonetheless believed. Looking for the term "born again" in the old testament is where most folks get hung up because it ain't there. But the concept... it is certainly there. :)

VerticalReality
Oct 29th 2007, 09:05 PM
Also, the Word says that those who are of the seed of Abraham will walk by faith and they will be saved. Those Scriptures don't give a prerequisite that you have to be born on the latter side of the cross. You are either a seed of Abraham or you're not. If you are I don't see how you would be dead in trespasses as those of faith will repent and turn from sin.

When I look at Ephesians 2 I don't see Old Testament saints . . .

Ephesians 2:1-3
And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.

ProjectPeter
Oct 29th 2007, 11:07 PM
3 In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." 4 "How can a man be born when he is old?" Nicodemus asked. "Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born!" 5 Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You must be born again.' 8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit." 9 "How can this be?" Nicodemus asked. 10 "You are Israel's teacher," said Jesus, "and do you not understand these things?

It would appear, from Jesus' conversation with Nicodemus, that the idea of being born again was not a new concept. He indicates that, as a teacher, Nicodemus should understand it. Since all Nicodemus had to go by at that time was the OT examples, there must have been something there which should have led him to an understanding of being born again.
Sure... that's exactly it. He chided Nicodemus because being a teacher of Israel... this should be understood.

Rand47
Oct 29th 2007, 11:15 PM
In both Romans 4 and Galatians 3, as well as the "Heros of Faith" Chapter 11 of Hebrews, I think it is abundantly clear in scripture that those before Jesus who were counting on God's promises of a redeemer, were of the family of faith and saved . . .

If not, then "the cloud of witnesses" spoken of in Chapter 12:1 of Hebrews are doing their "witnessing" from a place of outer darkness. NOT!

I guess one could split hairs and say that merely being "saved from wrath" wasn't the same thing as New Testament "rebirth" ... but I'm not sure that has any real meaning for us today.

Blessings...

Soj
Oct 30th 2007, 10:52 AM
Further study on this topic has only solidified my belief that the new birth is a NT phenomenon and that the OT saints were not spiritually born again in the same way the NT saint is.

The NT saint is born again through believing and receiving Christ as Saviour, this is clear:

John 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not. 12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

1 John 5:1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.

In the OT David prophesied of "a people that shall be born" in Psalm 22:31, and Psalm 22 is the 'crucifixion psalm', so it's no surprise when we read in John 3 where Jesus explains the new birth to Nicodemus and goes right into the serpent that was raised in the wilderness! Jesus said to Nicodemus in John 3:10 "Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?" then goes on to say:

John 3:11 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness. 12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?

So Nicodemus was no different than any other Pharisee in regards to the fact they were ignorant of the truth! The new birth was prophesied but they didn't know about it.

Now Israel in the OT were a generated seed, they were not born of God through Christ or begotten through the gospel like we were, but were a chosen seed through which Christ came:

Genesis 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Genesis 17:7 And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee

Isaiah 53:10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.

I don't know whether or not the OT saints were spiritually awakened as I have no scripture to support it, and havn't seen any provided thus far in this thread.

ProjectPeter
Oct 30th 2007, 11:30 AM
1 Corinthians 10:1 For I do not want you to be unaware, brethren, that our fathers were all under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;
2 and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea;
3 and all ate the same spiritual food;
4 and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they were drinking from a spiritual rock which followed them; and the rock was Christ.

VerticalReality
Oct 30th 2007, 01:57 PM
Further study on this topic has only solidified my belief that the new birth is a NT phenomenon and that the OT saints were not spiritually born again in the same way the NT saint is.

The NT saint is born again through believing and receiving Christ as Saviour, this is clear:

John 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not. 12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

1 John 5:1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.

In the OT David prophesied of "a people that shall be born" in Psalm 22:31, and Psalm 22 is the 'crucifixion psalm', so it's no surprise when we read in John 3 where Jesus explains the new birth to Nicodemus and goes right into the serpent that was raised in the wilderness! Jesus said to Nicodemus in John 3:10 "Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?" then goes on to say:

John 3:11 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness. 12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?

So Nicodemus was no different than any other Pharisee in regards to the fact they were ignorant of the truth! The new birth was prophesied but they didn't know about it.

Now Israel in the OT were a generated seed, they were not born of God through Christ or begotten through the gospel like we were, but were a chosen seed through which Christ came:

Genesis 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Genesis 17:7 And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee

Isaiah 53:10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.

I don't know whether or not the OT saints were spiritually awakened as I have no scripture to support it, and havn't seen any provided thus far in this thread.

Personally, I believe there is a huge difference between the children of Israel and the seed of Abraham.

Keep in mind that I'm speaking of Old Testament saints. I'm not speaking of all of Israel.

RogerW
Oct 30th 2007, 02:56 PM

Greetings Soj,

Do you see the sealing of all the tribes of the children of Israel symbolizing OT saints being resurrected to spiritual life (Rev 7)? They had already been given life in Christ looking forward to the promise (see Hebrews 11), for how could they be said to have died in faith looking for the promise otherwise? But they could not be raised in spiritual life at death, and dwell in heaven until Christ literally went to the cross, defeated death, and ascended unto heaven to prepare a place for them? The promise was established in heaven before the world began, therefore as good as done, but history must still be carried out, and Christ, though the Lamb slain from before the foundation of the world, must literally become the slain Lamb in time.

Many Blessings,
RW

VerticalReality
Oct 30th 2007, 03:24 PM
Greetings Soj,

Do you see the sealing of all the tribes of the children of Israel symbolizing OT saints being resurrected to spiritual life (Rev 7)? They had already been given life in Christ looking forward to the promise (see Hebrews 11), for how could they be said to have died in faith looking for the promise otherwise? But they could not be raised in spiritual life at death, and dwell in heaven until Christ literally went to the cross, defeated death, and ascended unto heaven to prepare a place for them? The promise was established in heaven before the world began, therefore as good as done, but history must still be carried out, and Christ, though the Lamb slain from before the foundation of the world, must literally become the slain Lamb in time.

Many Blessings,
RW

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, you believe that Old Testament saints were indeed born again before Jesus Christ died on the cross and was resurrected from the dead. Am I right?

Soj
Oct 30th 2007, 09:13 PM
Personally, I believe there is a huge difference between the children of Israel and the seed of Abraham.Please explain this huge difference as you see it?

Btw, the verses I quoted in context were referring to the physical seed, not the spiritual which is by faith.

2 Corinthians 11:22 Are they Hebrews? so am I. Are they Israelites? so am I. Are they the seed of Abraham? so am I.

Keep in mind that I'm speaking of Old Testament saints. I'm not speaking of all of Israel.Yes I realise that.

It's a common belief that Adam was saved, yet he died spiritually in the day he ate of the fruit (he certainly did not die physically) and we never read of him being born again or having his spirit regenerated!

Genesis 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Genesis 5:5 And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.

VerticalReality
Oct 30th 2007, 11:11 PM
Please explain this huge difference as you see it?

Quite simple really. Not all of the children of Israel are part of the seed of Abraham. They are very different.

2 Corinthians 11:22 Are they Hebrews? so am I. Are they Israelites? so am I. Are they the seed of Abraham? so am I.

However, being a Hebrew or an Israelite doesn't make you a seed of Abraham.

It's a common belief that Adam was saved, yet he died spiritually in the day he ate of the fruit (he certainly did not die physically) and we never read of him being born again or having his spirit regenerated!

I don't know if he was or not, and I certainly have never tried to make that argument. However, I think a very good argument could be made for Moses, David, Elijah, Isaiah, etc.

Soj
Oct 30th 2007, 11:30 PM
Quite simple really. Not all of the children of Israel are part of the seed of Abraham. They are very different.What's the difference?

However, being a Hebrew or an Israelite doesn't make you a seed of Abraham.What does then?

VerticalReality
Oct 31st 2007, 12:48 AM
What's the difference?

What does then?

Galatians 3:5-9
Therefore He who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you, does He do it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?— just as Abraham “believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” Therefore know that only those who are of faith are sons of Abraham. And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel to Abraham beforehand, saying, “In you all the nations shall be blessed.” So then those who are of faith are blessed with believing Abraham.

RogerW
Oct 31st 2007, 03:10 PM
So, if I'm understanding you correctly, you believe that Old Testament saints were indeed born again before Jesus Christ died on the cross and was resurrected from the dead. Am I right?

Greetings VR,

I believe the OT saints possessed saving faith, and it was through the guidance of the Holy Spirit they do. They believed God, and like Abraham it was accounted unto them as righteousness. These all died in faith, knowing with blessed assurance they would receive the promised inheritance once Christ came and fulfilled all at the cross. The OT saints who died in faith, I believe went to the grave, and their bodies saw decay, but their souls/spirits were preserved (Abraham's bosom) until after Christ ascended into heaven to prepare a place in the Kingdom of heaven for all the saints. Once Christ was victorious over death, and hell (the grave) these OT saints were Spiritually resurrected to heaven from the grave (Abraham's bosom).

I make a distinction saying Abraham's bosom from the unbelievers who simply die and go into the grave, and are remembered no more until the final Judgment. Since the cross all who die in Christ go immediately into His presence spiritually or in their soul essence, but before Christ literally went to the cross and defeated death, and the grave this was not possible, so those OT saints sealed in Rev 7 I believe symbolizes them being spiritually resurrected to heaven after the cross.

Many Blessings,
RW