PDA

View Full Version : How do you answer this?

A820djd
Nov 12th 2007, 10:30 PM
Well a non believer said to me... Why would you love a God when all the things in the world are going on... He said it in quite a different way but thats kind of how I took it... I couldn't answer him... I'm not going to say "He didn't say it would be easy..etc" Cause that doesn't really send the message.. Any scriptures on this?

Edit:

Example some people say they wouldn't want to worship a God of evolution because of the extremely terrible things the animals have to go through in order to "evolve" Kent Hovind tells us about that as well... (Mormons are a good example...) But with all the things going on in the world wouldn't that seem like a cruel God to you to if you were uneducated?

Slug1
Nov 12th 2007, 10:39 PM
Scott, I got this in email awhile back and have posted it. It's perfect for what your situation is:

Don't Believe God Exists...

A lady went to a beauty shop to have her hair cut and her nails painted
and trimmed. As the lady began to work, they began to have a good conversation. They talked about so many things and various subjects.

When they eventually touched on the subject of God, the beautician said: "I don't believe that God exists."

"Why do you say that?" asked Sheryl who has MS.

"Well, you just have to go out in the street to realize that God doesn't exist. Tell me, if God exists, would there be so many sick people? Would there be abandoned children? If God existed, there would be neither suffering nor pain. I can't imagine a loving God who would allow all of these things."

Then Sheryl thought for a moment, but didn't respond because she didn't want to start an argument. The beautician just finished her job and the customer left the shop.

Just after she left the beauty shop, she saw a woman in the street with
long, stringy, dirty hair and not groomed at all. She looked dirty and unkempt. Then Sheryl turned back and entered the beauty shop again and
she said to the beautician: "You know what? Beauticians do not
exist."

"How can you say that?" asked the surprised beautician. "I am here, and I am a beautician. And I just worked on you!"

"No!" Sheryl exclaimed. "Beauticians don't exist because if they did, there would be no people with dirty long hair and be very unkempt, like that woman outside."

"Ah, but beauticians DO exist! What happens is, people do not come to me."

"Exactly!"- affirmed Sheryl. "That's the point! God, too, DOES exist! What happens, is, people don't go to Him and do not look for Him. That's why there's so much pain and suffering in the world."

A820djd
Nov 12th 2007, 10:54 PM
Thats a bit of a kiddie story no offense... Tons of people who pray with their entire hearts still have tons of bad things happen to them...

Slug1
Nov 12th 2007, 11:02 PM
Praying for everything in your heart and following the path that God has laid out for you may be in opposite directions. Seeking God's will usually works instead of attempting to bend God to your will as people pray their hearts out for all the things and fixes "they" want.

The story may be kiddie but it's the truth when you look at it as a child would understand the meaning of the story.

Alaska
Nov 12th 2007, 11:03 PM
To understand the reason why things are how they are now, it is necessary to go back in history and find out what happened.
The creation, the fall. Even the geological formations that we wonder at can be accounted for by knowing history. The flood about 4000 years ago caused the earth to be how it is now, abundance of water, fossils etc.

RoadWarrior
Nov 12th 2007, 11:04 PM
Well a non believer said to me... Why would you love a God when all the things in the world are going on......?

Hi Scott,

I was that way once. I had a hard time understanding about God, even after I became a Christian. I still had lots of questions. I think you have to pray about how to answer this person, because we all seem to need a personal God, we need our own experience of knowing Him.

Something that was, and still is, very meaningful to me was when I did a deep study of the Bible to understand who Satan is, and what the Bible says about the relationship between God and Satan. I now understand that there is a war going on in the spiritual world. God does not make these terrible things happen. I still don't fully understand why He allows it, but I know for certain that it has a purpose.

And I also am firmly convinced that we humans are on one side or the other, in this war. As Christians, we fight alongside Jesus. But we do not fight with guns and knives. How we fight in this war has eternal significance. It isn't just the 90 years or so that we live, but it is all eternity that is in view.

Why would I love God? Because God is good, and His enemy is evil. I want to be on God's side, not on Satan's side.

A820djd
Nov 12th 2007, 11:05 PM
Praying for everything in your heart and following the path that God has laid out for you may be in opposite directions. Seeking God's will usually works instead of attempting to bend God to your will as people pray their hearts out for all the things and fixes "they" want.

So if we want our pet hamster Marvin to keep living and we pray with our hearts that doesn't mean anything? Hmmm When I say heart I mean heart and soul I don't mean for 5 million dollars in the trunk of my car WANT.

Slug1
Nov 12th 2007, 11:07 PM
So if we want our pet hamster Marvin to keep living and we pray with our hearts that doesn't mean anything? Hmmm When I say heart I mean heart and soul I don't mean for 5 million dollars in the trunk of my car WANT.Don't forget to put "faith" in the prayer equation ;)

A820djd
Nov 12th 2007, 11:09 PM
Don't forget to put "faith" in the prayer equation ;)

I am very thankful for all the things I have and for God blessing me with riches you cannot buy... I wouldn't trade for all the money in the world... That includes my baby boy, Tiger. People might think I'm weird because I treat him like a small child.

Slug1
Nov 12th 2007, 11:15 PM
I am very thankful for all the things I have and for God blessing me with riches you cannot buy... I wouldn't trade for all the money in the world... That includes my baby boy, Tiger. People might think I'm weird because I treat him like a small child.You just nailed it on the head... this is exactly what you need to tell your friend who doesn't believe in God. The #1 way to evangelize isn't tons of Biblical knowledge but instead to "show" others what God has done in your life. How your life was before God and how it's now that God is in control. If you are blessed, then he can be just as blessed by putting faith in God and surrendering himself to God... And you are the person that God has put in your friends path to be that example.

OK, I just reread your OP, so if this person isn't a friend... everything I said still applies ;)

Tanya~
Nov 12th 2007, 11:15 PM
I think Slug's story was very relevant, even if you do think it was a 'kiddie' story.

The Bible is very clear about why there is suffering in the world. The original creation had no suffering, violence, death, evil, or pain in it. It was all very good. The problems in the world are a direct result of man's sin. When man sinned, the whole creation was affected and subjected to futility.

But there is a promise of a restoration, and that is part of our hope as Christians. We believe that God is good, we believe that He created everything good, and we believe that He will restore all things.

Rom 8:18-25

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. 19 For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope; 21 because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now. 23 Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body. 24 For we were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees? 25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance.
NKJV

A820djd
Nov 13th 2007, 01:23 AM
Thanks Tanya... That helps a bit as well... Today I got down because on this TV show my g/f left on "7th Heaven" it was about a woman who was in a concentration camp... Etc.. etc.. It just got me thinking about the future and how it might go... I just got shook up even thought I know this show is about teaching responsibilities to youngsters or whatever on various things... It just got to me in a different way..

cross crusader
Nov 13th 2007, 01:52 AM
Well a non believer said to me... Why would you love a God when all the things in the world are going on... He said it in quite a different way but thats kind of how I took it... I couldn't answer him... I'm not going to say "He didn't say it would be easy..etc" Cause that doesn't really send the message.. Any scriptures on this?

Edit:

Example some people say they wouldn't want to worship a God of evolution because of the extremely terrible things the animals have to go through in order to "evolve" Kent Hovind tells us about that as well... (Mormons are a good example...) But with all the things going on in the world wouldn't that seem like a cruel God to you to if you were uneducated?

He does seem cruel to those who dont understand Him. Even some christians cannot figure out this question, but here is the answer. Our Perfect God set up rules and laws and guidelines that even He cannot break. because if He broke them then He wouldn't be perfect. For lack of a better analogy He kinda put himself into a box, that is why it is up to us to carry out His will on earth as it is in Heaven. That is why we have the Keys, we as believers have the authority to change things here on earth, But the majority doesnt realize that. So it is not really God allowing these things to happen, it is us, christians.

Tanya~
Nov 13th 2007, 02:23 AM
I can understand that. The hope of the believer is in the resurrection, and our entrance into the kingdom of heaven when we will dwell with God and He with us. At that time there will be no more of the things that cause pain now.

This is what we have to look forward to:

Rev 21:1-8

Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea. 2 Then I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God. 4 And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away."

5 Then He who sat on the throne said,"Behold, I make all things new." And He said to me, "Write, for these words are true and faithful."

6 And He said to me,"It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts. 7 He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God and he shall be My son. 8 But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."

As we remember the promises and warnings in Scripture, it will motivate us to live godly lives and look forward to those things that God has in store for us.

:)

Wintermute
Nov 13th 2007, 04:00 AM

Edit:

Example some people say they wouldn't want to worship a God of evolution because of the extremely terrible things the animals have to go through in order to "evolve" Kent Hovind tells us about that as well... (Mormons are a good example...) But with all the things going on in the world wouldn't that seem like a cruel God to you to if you were uneducated?1 Corinthians 4:9 For I think that God has displayed us, the apostles, last, as men condemned to death; for we have been made a spectacle to the world, both to angels and to men.

Don't know if that helps, hope it does.

Doer
Nov 13th 2007, 04:12 AM
The problem lies with how you define "good" and "bad." The Bible reads that God will do his people good, and he will rejoice over it. You see, through trials and hardships, we will learn lessons that are very important to our walk with God. Everything that is done, is done for your own good. The first thing to realize is that hardships and trials are not necessarily bad things.

koscheiman
Nov 13th 2007, 05:23 AM
It has been said that there is no greater education than matriculating through the “University of Hard Knocks.” One thing is certain: many who have passed through the crucible of suffering will acknowledge that they have found themselves infinitely better for the experience—bitter though it may have been.
Robert Browning Hamilton expressed this thought so wonderfully in verse:

I walked a mile with Pleasure
She chatted all the way,
But left me none the wiser
For all she had to say.
I walked a mile with Sorrow
And ne’er a word said she;
But oh, the things I learned from her
When Sorrow walked with me!
Atheism, of course, alleges that the problem of human suffering represents one of the more formidable arguments against the existence of a powerful and loving God. It is not my intention to respond to that baseless argument here.
At this point, it will suffice simply to say that God has, as an expression of his love (1 John 4:8), granted mankind free will (Joshua 24:15; cf. Isaiah 7:15). That free will enables human beings to make their own choices. Foolish choices can sometimes have devastating consequences (e.g., suffering). Thus, the responsibility for unwise choices is man’s, not God’s.
The problem of human suffering is not irreconcilable with the love of a benevolent Creator. In this article, we will limit our discussion to the benefits that suffering can provide—if we are wise enough to learn the lessons.
Suffering: A Reminder of Our Infirmity

Suffering highlights the fact that we are frail human beings; that is to say, we are not God. Some, however, have no greater ambition than to be their own God. They are “autotheists”—self-gods. They imagine that they are accountable to no one higher than themselves. To borrow the words of the infidel poet, William Ernest Henley, they are the masters of their fate, and the captains of their souls! These rebels submit to no law save the self-imposed law of their own arrogant minds.
But when we suffer, we are forced to focus upon our own weakness. There is no remedy within us (see Job 6:13). It is hard to be haughty when you are hurting. Pain can be humbling; it can slap smart-aleckness out of us, and open our hearts to greater vistas.
Suffering: A Reason to Call upon the Lord

Suffering can draw our interests toward the true God. When one is in a state of anguish that offers little respite, the natural inclination is to turn toward a higher source for help. Only a deliberate and forced stubbornness can quench that urge. When we are hurting, the “God of all comfort” (2 Corinthians 1:3) is waiting to help.
Joe, a personal friend of mine, was taught the gospel of Christ and happily embraced it, being united with the Lord in baptism (Romans 6:3ff). For a while, this likable gentleman in his mid-forties struggled to remain faithful against the powerful, negative influences of a family that had zero interest in spiritual matters. Finally, he drifted away from conscientious service.
Then, Joe suffered a severe heart attack. He hastened back to the Savior and maintained a contented fidelity until, some months later, his spirit slipped quietly away into eternity.
Suffering can get our attention! David once wrote: “In my distress I called upon Jehovah, and cried unto my God” (Psalm 18:6).
Suffering: Insight into Sin

Suffering can assist us in seeing sin in all of its hideous gruesomeness. The Bible clearly teaches that this planet has been heir to suffering as a consequence of man’s sin. This principle is set forth clearly by Paul in his letter to the Roman saints. He affirmed that “through one man [Adam] sin entered into the world, and death through sin, so that death passed to all men, because all sinned” (Romans 5:12).
At the beginning of human history, sin, in a manner of speaking, was “crouching at the door” (see Genesis 4:7); when grandmother Eve (and subsequently her husband) opened that door, horrible effects were allowed to descend upon their offspring (Genesis 3:22).
And so death—with all its attendant evils—entered the human environment as a result of man’s rebellion against his Creator. When we suffer, it ought to be a sober reminder of how terrible sin is.
While we cannot escape the physical consequences of sin’s high price, we can refresh our souls in divine forgiveness. When that is done, life becomes immeasurably easier.
Suffering: Value Clarification

Suffering aids us in seeing the real worth of things. When one passes through the experience of intense suffering, and perhaps comes to the threshold of death, the entire world can take on new meaning. The singing of the birds is more vivid than it ever has been. A fresh spring day makes the soul ecstatic. Family and friends take on a new preciousness.
Christopher Reeve, who starred as Superman in the movies, was paralyzed in an accident, and discovered that in real life he was not as invincible as the character he portrayed. In interviews following his personal tragedy, Mr. Reeve commented that since being paralyzed, he had discovered a new zest for life.
Indeed, suffering can provide a sharper vision of life’s priorities. As the poet John Dryden expressed it: “We, by our suff’rings, learn to prize our bliss” (Astraea Redux).
He that hath an ear, let him hear what suffering whispers to the soul.
Suffering: The Seed of Compassion

Suffering prepares us to be compassionate to others. There is an old adage that says, “Do not judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes.”
I suggest another proverb: “One cannot comfort effectively until he has lain in the bed of suffering.” That may be a bit of an overstatement, but it contains a grain of truth. In the second chapter of Hebrews, the writer effectively argued that Jesus Christ, as our High Priest, is qualified to “succor” (ASV) or “aid” (NASV) those who are tempted.
How is that so? Hear him: “For in that He Himself has suffered, being tempted, He is able to aid those who are tempted” (Hebrews 2:18, NKJV).
The song lyric, “Are you weary? Are you heavyhearted? Tell it to Jesus; tell it to Jesus,” is wonderfully meaningful in light of this passage.
It has been said that the difference between “sympathy” (from the Greek syn, “with,” and pathos, “feeling”) and “empathy” (en, “in,” and pathos) is that in the former instance one “feels with” (i.e., has feelings of tenderness for) those who suffer, whereas in “empathy” one almost is able to “get inside” the friend who suffers—because the one doing the comforting has been there!
Suffering: Making Us “Homesick”

Suffering sharpens our awareness that this earth is not a permanent home.
Peter sought to encourage early Christians (who were being persecuted) not to despair, by reminding them that they were but “sojourners and pilgrims” upon this earth (1 Peter 2:11).
The ancient patriarchs “confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth” and so they looked for “a better country, that is a heavenly [one]” (Hebrews 11:13-16).
Paul reminded us that “the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed to us-ward” (Romans 8:18).
It is not the will of God that men live upon this evil-plagued planet forever. We never will be “at home” until we are with the Lord (2 Corinthians 5:8), and suffering helps make us “homesick.”
Henry Ward Beecher once said: “God washes the eyes by tears until they can behold the invisible land where tears shall come no more.”
Suffering: Teach Us How to Pray

Suffering enhances our ability to pray. Praying is an instinctive human response to severe hardship. But effective prayer is a learned exercise.
On a certain occasion during his ministry, Jesus was praying. After he had finished, one of the disciples requested of him: “Lord, teach us to pray, even as John also taught his disciples” (Luke 11:1). These Hebrew disciples had been praying all their lives; yet, they observed something in the intensity of Jesus’ prayers that sent them “back to school.”
With Calvary ever looming before him, Christ plumbed the depths of prayer. Note the following: “And being in agony he prayed more earnestly; and his sweat became as it were great drops of blood falling down upon the ground” (Luke 22:44).
A song suggests: “Pray when you’re happy; pray when in sorrow.” One should pray frequently, and in all moods; under the burden of suffering, however, one will learn how to pray as he never has prayed before.
Suffering: Grooming the Soul for Eternity

Suffering tempers the soul and helps prepare it for eternity. Peter wrote:

[N]ow for a little while, if necessary, ye have been distressed by various trials, that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ (1 Peter 1:6-7).
Just as precious metals are purified by the heat of fire, so life’s trials in general, and suffering for Christ in particular, build strength into the soul. Character does not happen by accident; rather, it is built! Out of the fires of suffering, the human spirit may emerge as precious as gold and as strong as steel.
Suffering: Engenders Nobility

Suffering nurtures the noblest virtues of which mankind is capable. Reflect for a moment upon the quality of courage. Civilizations universally perceive courage to be one of the prime traits of humanity, and, by way of contrast, cowardice is considered to be utterly reprehensible.
Courage may be defined as the ability to act rationally in the face of fear. If, however, the human family were immune to hardship, danger, suffering, etc., there could be no facing it, hence, no courage.
When we sit down to a delicious dinner with friends and loved ones on a balmy autumn evening, no courage is needed. Courage arises in the presence of danger. There are certain qualities that we simply cannot possess in the absence of hardship.
Ralph Sockman wrote:

Without danger there would be no adventure. Without friction our cars would not start and our spirits would not soar. Without tears, eyes would not shine with the richest expressions (1961, 66).
And what of “patience”? John Chrysostom (347-407 A.D.), one of the most influential figures among the “church fathers” of the post-apostolic period, described patience as “the mother of piety, fruit that never withers, a fortress that is never taken, a harbour that knows no storms” (as quoted in Barclay 1974, 145).
But could there ever be patience in the absence of difficulty?
Suffering: Character Probe

Suffering separates the superficial from the stable. Paul cautioned the Corinthian saints against building up the church superficially. Some folks are of the “wood, hay, [and] stubble” variety, while others exhibit those qualities of “gold, silver [and] costly stones” (1 Corinthians 3:12-15). Saints of the latter category endure; those of the former do not.
Why so? It is simply because the two groups are tested by “fire” (hardships), and that testing fire separates quality converts from those who really are not serious about their Christian commitment.
Jesus once spoke of those who receive the gospel impulsively, and, for a while endure. Eventually, though, “tribulation and persecution” arise, and rather quickly the superficial fade away (see Matthew 13:20-21).
And so, while no one actively seeks suffering in his life, honesty compels us to admit that hardships do have value—great value. Certainly, the existence of suffering is not a valid reason for rejecting the Creator.

by a show of hands
Nov 13th 2007, 07:33 AM
I posted this on another topic, and I think it goes with this also. A great place to look in the bible is in Job. I believe that it gives a good understanding to why do bad things happen:

We as Christians sometimes forget that bad things happen to good people.
Why does this happen?
1. We live in a fallen world.
2. We live among fallen people whose sins sometimes affect others.
3. If sin is hidden in our lives, we will have to suffer the consequences.

The book of Job is a theodicy- a defense of God's goodness, justice, and sovereign character in view of the existence of suffering and evil. Job clearly teaches the sovereignty of God and the need for man to acknowledge such.

A further purpose is certainly to demonstrate the conflict of the ages between God and Satan and to show the relationship of suffering to this conflict. In the end, it demonstrates the truth of Romans 8:28

And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. (NKJ)

The basic story line of Job is seen in unprecedented prosperity, extreme poverty, immeasurable suffering, and after God's response, completely and doubly restored.

Job did not attack God- Job 1:20-22.
He did not sin with his lips- Job 2:9-10
His sin was fear, fear for his children. This is seen in verses 1:4-5

His sons used to go and hold a feast in the house of each one on his day, and they would send and invite thier three sisters to eat and drink with them. And when the days of the feast had run their course, Job would send and consecrate them, and he would rise early in the morning and offer burnt offerings according to the number of them all. For Job said, "It may be that my children have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts. Thus Job did continually.(ESV)

What does this mean in today's terms? His sons would throw this mega party, like most of the celebrities of today do. They would have alcohol and other things at these parties. Job was in fear that his children would not turn to God, repent and ultimately die and not be in heaven. So he constantly would offer sacrifices to God for his children out of fear of losing them.

In Job 3:25 Job admitted his sin:

For the thing that I fear comes upon me, and what I dread befalls me.(ESV)

We have to remember, hard times are still going to come our way even as we are christians. But what are we going to do during these times. You can either give up, like Job's friends and his wife told him, or we can stand in faith, believe that God's word is true, and believe that He is going to turn all things to good. Just like Job did. Yes he questioned God, but he never lost his faith, and he did not even have a bible.

ikester7579
Nov 13th 2007, 09:04 AM
Thats a bit of a kiddie story no offense... Tons of people who pray with their entire hearts still have tons of bad things happen to them...

Sin causes the bad things to happen. Non-believers want a God who will allow them to sin, but yet protect them from the evil it brings. That is a genie, not a God. Unbelievers basically want a being they can control and will do what they want. And when He does not, unbelievers say:

1) It's all His fault.
2) He is unloving and uncaring.
3) He don't exist.

If you read between the lines, what you actually see here is that they do acknowledge that He exist by:

1) Accusing Him for all things bad.
2) Saying He is unloving and uncaring.
3) He don't exist because of these things.

What your friend did was use a atheist excuse to get out of conversing with you about God. Atheist spend time figuring out questions to ask believers when they bring up God. Questions that generally cannot be answered. Like: If God existed, why does He not appear to me? For if He did I would believe... This is there defense wall going up to stop the conversation even before it gets started.

For what else are you going to say when they ask: Where is God, I don't see Him? Every question is designed to get you out of their face as fast as possible. Atheist do not like to ponder God, thus the reason they do this.

Here's a list:
http://www.ethicalatheist.com/docs/questions_for_god.html
http://www.positiveatheism.org/india/gora31.htm

Atheism 101:
http://atheism.about.com/od/aboutatheism/p/atheism101.htm

Once that you understand that the question in itself is only asked to shut you up about God, you can look beyond it and continue. You don't have to answer every question they ask. If they insist that you do, start asking questions they cannot answer as an example.

Once you put them in the same situation they had put you in, you take away the power from them to control the conversation.

Questions:
1) You believe in evolution, correct?
2) Where are all the missing links?
3) And if evolution were a true fact, why is it still called a theory?

And as they stumble for a suitable answer, that is when you say: Anyone can think of questions that most people cannot answer. Which is why you ask those questions of me, correct? Now since we are on the same level about this subject, let's move on.

Next question: What would you say is the most convincing evidence that there is no God? If he is not sure, give him some examples. Like evolution etc... Getting the non-believer to get involved in the conversation is the best way. Letting it become totally one sided means that your side has control, and the other side puts up a wall. You have to meet them on their level, and keep it on a level playing field. Because when you get control, if you keep that control and don't give some of it back. The non-believer will fold his arms and basically not listen to what you say.

They want to be heard, if you deny this, then you just lost 1/2 the battle. Butting in when they are speaking allows them to just start over. Letting them voice what they need to, to the very end leaves them with nothing left to say. When they are finished, ask them: to which point they just made, would they considered the most important to be answered?

Write the questions down, this shows you do have a general interest in answering them. Any question you cannot answer right then, tell them you will get back to them on it. And from there you work it out. If they are interested. Ask them questions that they can come back with an answer for as well.

Only control the conversation to a point that you allow them to know you control it. Never dominate the conversation. The more the non-believer feels cornered, the more he will put up a defense, or just totally shut you out.

Soj
Nov 13th 2007, 10:05 AM
To understand the reason why the world is in such a mess you would have to explain about sin entering into the world and causing the death and fall of humanity...once you have briefly explained that it is all man's fault, not God's, you can then tell the good news that God has provided a remedy to the problem of sin through Jesus Christ!

Romans 5:19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

1 Corinthians 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

1 John 4:19 We love him, because he first loved us.

Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Teke
Nov 13th 2007, 03:05 PM

IMO that is a selfish type of thinking. The thought is centered on what the person believes to be right. IOW they believe the world should be the way they think it should rather than the way God created it.

Rom 9:20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed [it], Why hast thou made me thus?

Edit:

Fr Seraphim Rose of blessed memory, did some good apologetics against the philosophy of "evolution". People generally have weird ideas about evolution.;)