PDA

View Full Version : Feeling the Spirit of God

AlainaJ
Nov 29th 2007, 04:41 PM
Hey:)

There are times I am praying and I can just feel the Spirit of God. It is a supernatural feeling...it is almost like I am not here.

I would love to see if others experience this and how you use it to draw closer to the Lord.

God Bless,
Alaina

mbecker
Dec 3rd 2007, 12:33 AM
I totally know what your talkin bout....It is so awesome to feel the spirit of God when I am praying....it feels like nothing else exists around you...at that moment it's just you and God and it's so awesome to hear God speaking to you right then and there. When I'm praying God just immediantly puts this blanket of peace over me and it is the best feeling ever! :D

dhtraveler
Dec 3rd 2007, 12:42 AM
yes!

There is a real sensitivity and closeness I feel when I am in His presence. If I were to attempt to express it in human words ( which is impossible because they cannot fully contain it), I'd have to say its like getting glasses after a long time of trying to see without. You put them on and everything becomes so vivid and clear. You can see the things more defined, and complete.

I put my glasses on when I walked out of the shop and into the parking lot. I noticed a tree in full leaf, the golds were golder, the greens greener, the outlines defined.

Just image what it will be like when we enter heaven and our vision which was previously blurred, and dark, becomes clear and true.

dht

Soj
Dec 8th 2007, 01:42 AM
To me, "feeling" the Spirit of God is walking with a clear conscience before God knowing that I am doing what's right in His sight, it is experiencing that peace that passes all understanding that the scripture mentions, it is having that hope that fades not away and that joy unspeakable in my heart knowing that God is my Saviour and Lord of my life.

During worship and praise, and when witnessing the gospel to others I can experience a spiritual uplifting and moving of God's Spirit within me, which I equate to the 'filling' of the Holy Spirit during those times.

Ephesians 5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; 19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord.

AlainaJ
Dec 8th 2007, 01:54 AM
Just image what it will be like when we enter heaven and our vision which was previously blurred, and dark, becomes clear and true.

dht[/quote]
I can't even imagine...it is like that song by Mercy Me.

What is so amazing whenever I feel like I need to feel the Lord, He is there.

I can close my eyes and pray...and then He is there with me. The peace........that only comes from Christ.:)

BranchoftheVine
Dec 8th 2007, 02:05 AM
I know what you guys mean. For me, it is like walking next to my "best friend" everyday, in His joy, peace, truth, and light -- connected to the Life-giving Vine (Jesus). I just can't imagine not knowing Him. I've put together a little area on a shelf that has a famous painting (artist perception) of Jesus (in the flesh) in a cherrywood frame, with a simple cherrywood cross next to it. I have a little olive tree, and some fake Easter lilies. I also bought some little fake doves. I also want to buy some fake grapes and vines (to symbolize the Vine and branches), and maybe even a fake loaf of bread (to symbolize the Bread of Life). I am so thankful to know the Rock of Ages, and be forgiven by Him. I just look over to my arrangement, and think: "Jesus: God's Son of Perfect Righteousness."

Soj
Dec 8th 2007, 02:11 AM
Just image what it will be like when we enter heaven and our vision which was previously blurred, and dark, becomes clear and true.Amen, reminds me of this verse:

1 Corinthians 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

Follow_Me_Infantry
Dec 9th 2007, 11:20 AM
It's pretty rare when I feel it (have had a LOT on my heart lately), but I have, and it is by far the most wonderful, amazing, miraculous thing I've ever experienced.

Probably not the best place to mention this, but after a WHOLE bunch of prayer of late the Holy Spirit has been suggesting I stop holding things back. So here it goes, judge me or not.

Some time ago I was arrested for being stupid (my ex is a cop - you don't want to do stupid things around cops, DUH). I'd been there before, a good number of times - different moments of stupid, yadda yadda. I was about ready to break down and just give up.

I just prayed. Silently, to myself. It's pretty easy to ignore the ramblings of everyone else when you just don't even want to be a part of self. I was having the worst nicotine fit of my life, I was shaking badly, and I'd already gotten into it with one dude who thought he was cool talking smack. I was coming down from a high I was having a serious problem with (prescription pain killers, cocaine, alcohol, all in the same day and all in ridiculous amounts) and my anger was kicking in badly. I was angry, hurt, sad, in pain... I was scared. Very, very scared. Every emotion was flooding me at the same time. I wanted to beat the tar out of one of the dudes, to cry, to just die to get it over with, to do SOMETHING but sit there.

It wasn't really scared of being in jail, I was scared of who I had become. This is not where I was supposed to be! This was not ME! How could this have possible happened to ME? I'm the nicest guy in the world, always trying to help others, and now I was locked up because my wife had me arrested because I was stupid and she was SCARED of me? I scared my wife into believing I was a danger to her and my kids? What the hell had I become? Where had I gone wrong? Was it too late to correct anything? Was I worth it? Was it easier to just wait it out and eat my .45 when released? That'd show her and all the others! I just wanted to cry, but one doesn't cry in jail. Running my head into a wall was the only way out, but I knew the officers would stop me before that could could reach its conclusion, and I couldn't use my leg anyway. That or grabbing the biggest dude in there and throttling him and letting him do justice. I had the roughest time in the world fighting back those tears. I'm a veteran, these things just do. Not. Happen. To. Me!

It was one of those times where I had no other option BUT to pray. And so pray I did.

I know it sounds really stupid, and many here will chalk this up to the drugs or the alcohol or to state of mind, but remember, I was in jail - my toxicity levels were fine, I'd been screened by medical and found in no mental or physical danger, even though I was "in a semi-altered state of mind" (I was drunk). I was coming down, I wasn't still high. I found that state of calm, that God's presence, in absolute, face to the ground with torn sackcloth prayer and begging.

I didn't fall asleep or see visions or anything like that, but I did close my eyes and I just talked to God. So many things came flooding in: My time in service, things I'd seen and done, hurts I've caused and experienced, Camy, my kids... everything and anything. It was surreal. Then they just kind of went POOF.

And I just sat there for the next 14 hours and talked to God - about everything. Me. Him. Camy. Everything. I didn't feel the need to beg Him to get me out of this, I just knew He already had and my only job was to accept that He already did, even though I was still in jail. No biggie. Jail ends, He doesn't.

I knew my marriage was over, I knew my life as I had been living it was over. I knew that I had been approached PERSONALLY by God. I was calm and rational. He told me to accept things I didn't want to accept. But He told me that freedom wasn't about getting out of jail, it was just putting myself back in one so I could eventually get free. If I could accept that the old me was locked away forever, I could be released under my new identity.

It was... I dunno, weird, I guess. Usually minutes seem like hours in jail. But when they did release me, my first thought was, that wasn't so bad. I can't explain what it meant to feel that way, except that it is 180 degrees what anyone feels in that spot. I was kind of renewed, I guess.

There were no miraculous healings. I fought tooth and nail for every centimeter of freedom I gained from the drugs and the attitude.

But that PEACE I felt, where it was like I was just sitting in God's lap and He was personally holding me, that new place I found... It was the most amazing experience I'd ever had. Those however many hours of prayer were the first time I'd really talked to Him, though I'd always considered myself a Christian. He had to bring me to desperation to do it, but I'm glad He did. I honestly experienced His presence, His just talking to me.

I'd talked to God literally hundreds of thousands of times before then. But He'd never been able to get a word in edgewise. Once you get that freedom to allow Him to talk, it's a change you'll never forget.

I "wasn't there" for any of this. I was just listening and fully content to be the spectator. I watched Richard and God have a conversation (in my heart, not literally). I could have stayed in that place forever.

I honestly had a Job and an Ahab time in my life, where I buried my head and He refused to give up on me. And I'll never forget it.

Sorry for going on so long, but I'm glad you mentioned this. And I'm glad I wasn't afraid to talk about it as I normally am.

Does God give us His spirit as comfort, as another place to exist in true, honest prayer? You're damn right He does. And it doesn't get any better than that. What does it mean to us? Well, it literally cost me my wife (Camy), but it also saved my life. I can't explain it any better than that, and I'd probably screw it up if I tried. But He was there, and He have me, literally, the peace that passes all understanding.

Lefty
Dec 9th 2007, 08:21 PM
That's beautiful FMI:thumbsup::thumbsup: You sound like one of the most 'real' people around, and I'm blessed by your honesty and way with words.

I'm hard on myself and fight feelings of worthlessness and rejection, so for me, my walk gets interrupted with times that I just give up and lie down. I don't pray, read, serve, worship. Nothing. "What's the use?". Then I'll eventually get on my feet again, because God just won't seem to let go of me, and then I'll sense his care and start doing those things again, some out of duty, but some out of sheer gratitude. I think it's those things he likes best; the, 'I'm doing this for you "just because" moments.

I'm finally learning that he just likes to 'talk'. I'm starting to use my own vocabulary with him, not someone else's, and I love that. He loves openness and honesty. I don't need to be formal.

The feeling is something like a warm blanket, I think.

Bible Doctrine
Dec 9th 2007, 11:30 PM

There are times I am praying and I can just feel the Spirit of God. It is a supernatural feeling...it is almost like I am not here.

I would love to see if others experience this and how you use it to draw closer to the Lord.

God Bless,
AlainaThe sensations you are having a emotional not spiritual. That which is spiritual is not emotionally based. You cannot sense God through emotions, that isn't the protocol for the church age believer.

The Spirit of God might be at work in a great way and you would never know it.

You have been taught to expect this so you have learned to interpret emotional sensations as some sort of spiritual gauge or a gauge of the presence of the Spirit of God. That isn't true and no where in the Bible is such an experience the way YOU describe taught as normative or to be expected by the believer.

Yes, it is difficult to hear what doesn't support your sentiments or beliefs but I would be doing you a disservice to lie and tell you all is peachy keen and its okay to believe as you do. It isn't and you are being misguided.

We live by faith and faith alone in the promises of God a church age believers in the post-apostolic era of this age.

And please be sure, I don't doubt your sincerity or earnestness but you have been taught incorrectly.

Partaker of Christ
Dec 12th 2007, 12:38 AM
The sensations you are having a emotional not spiritual. That which is spiritual is not emotionally based. You cannot sense God through emotions, that isn't the protocol for the church age believer.

You have been taught to expect this so you have learned to interpret emotional sensations as some sort of spiritual gauge or a gauge of the presence of the Spirit of God. That isn't true and no where in the Bible is such an experience the way YOU describe taught as normative or to be expected by the believer.

Yes, it is difficult to hear what doesn't support your sentiments or beliefs but I would be doing you a disservice to lie and tell you all is peachy keen and its okay to believe as you do. It isn't and you are being misguided.

We live by faith and faith alone in the promises of God a church age believers in the post-apostolic era of this age.

And please be sure, I don't doubt your sincerity or earnestness but you have been taught incorrectly.

I would very much agree with you in the main, but we are not totally void of sensing His presence. There are times when we would feel peace and calmness, when faced with turmoil. There are times we can feel the joy of the Lord, the strength of the Lord etc.

God does not want us to rely on these 'feelings' but He permits them (from time to time) to reassure us, and help us grow in faith. We need to know that whether we feel His presence or not, He is always with us.

There are dangers the we must be aware of.
If we are constantly seeking and relying on 'feelings' then we will not grow as we should. We should never desire yesterdays manna from Heaven. Many Christians tend to want to go back, to that glorious time, when they 'felt' His presence with them.

I also believe that we can be induced, and self induce senses that are false.
We should never seek them, nor expect them.

Our emotions, intellect and will, are the main functions of the soul.
Just as we have volition, we should surender it to the will of God. Just as we have intellect, we should not lean on our own understanding, and have our mind renewed, so also we have feelings that must pass through the cross.

Yes God is Spirit, but God has emotions. We have a spirit, and the spirit is not absent of emotion. What we need is discernment.

AlainaJ
Dec 12th 2007, 12:48 AM
The sensations you are having a emotional not spiritual. That which is spiritual is not emotionally based. You cannot sense God through emotions, that isn't the protocol for the church age believer.

Bible Doctrine-

I tend to disagree at least for me personaly. However, I agree, the spirit of God works with out our knowledge...but we can also experience it.

I have seen at a concert or worship service emotions getting charged and many might be acting on emotion. So, yes emotions can fool people.

But all through the Bible...God tells us He that He is with us and in us. That is why He has given us His Spirit.

When I have been praying, I know with out a doubt...I have felt the prescence of the Lord. There were no bells or whistles..but I felt God.:)

Gal.4 (http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/k/kjv/kjv-idx?type=DIV2&byte=5173429)

[6] And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.Col.1 (http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/k/kjv/kjv-idx?type=DIV2&byte=5213826)

[8] Who also declared unto us your love in the Spirit.
[9] For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;So, the Holy Spirit allows us to understand the Word of God......the Holy Spirit is what allows us to pray directly to the Father and be in is prescence. I beleive, just as I have felt God reading the Bible and knew He was showing me spiritual truths in His Word..I beleive He can and does speak to His saints and allow us to feel His very presence.

1John.3 (http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/k/kjv/kjv-idx?type=DIV2&byte=5363153)

[24] And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.God Bless

BranchoftheVine
Dec 12th 2007, 05:22 AM
I would very much agree with you in the main, but we are not totally void of sensing His presence. There are times when we would feel peace and calmness, when faced with turmoil. There are times we can feel the joy of the Lord, the strength of the Lord etc.

God does not want us to rely on these 'feelings' but He permits them (from time to time) to reassure us, and help us grow in faith. We need to know that whether we feel His presence or not, He is always with us.

There are dangers the we must be aware of.
If we are constantly seeking and relying on 'feelings' then we will not grow as we should. We should never desire yesterdays manna from Heaven. Many Christians tend to want to go back, to that glorious time, when they 'felt' His presence with them.

I also believe that we can be induced, and self induce senses that are false.
We should never seek them, nor expect them.

Our emotions, intellect and will, are the main functions of the soul.
Just as we have volition, we should surender it to the will of God. Just as we have intellect, we should not lean on our own understanding, and have our mind renewed, so also we have feelings that must pass through the cross.

Yes God is Spirit, but God has emotions. We have a spirit, and the spirit is not absent of emotion. What we need is discernment.

I agree with you, totally. When you truly know Him, the Son of God, thus God the Father, you just know His holy, perfect, peaceful presence -- and He brings you joy. That doesn't mean that you set yourself up to walk by feelings, though. There is going to be times in the "desert wilderness." Ultimately, we walk by faith, and His Word, not feelings.

Your point about our "spirit not being absent of emotion" is interesting to think about. True, if you look in Scripture, and think about the spirit's eternal destiny (heaven or hell), you can conclude that the human spirit is able to see and feel someway, even outside the body.

Equipped_4_Love
Dec 15th 2007, 06:18 AM
That's beautiful FMI:thumbsup::thumbsup: You sound like one of the most 'real' people around, and I'm blessed by your honesty and way with words.

I'm hard on myself and fight feelings of worthlessness and rejection, so for me, my walk gets interrupted with times that I just give up and lie down. I don't pray, read, serve, worship. Nothing. "What's the use?". Then I'll eventually get on my feet again, because God just won't seem to let go of me, and then I'll sense his care and start doing those things again, some out of duty, but some out of sheer gratitude. I think it's those things he likes best; the, 'I'm doing this for you "just because" moments.

I'm finally learning that he just likes to 'talk'. I'm starting to use my own vocabulary with him, not someone else's, and I love that. He loves openness and honesty. I don't need to be formal.

The feeling is something like a warm blanket, I think.

Hi, Lefty;

God will honor your maturity, and your devotion to Him.
Like you, I have struggled with feelings of worthlessness and rejection. For most of my life, I was very self-critical and depracating. When I gave myself over completely to Christ, it was very difficult for me to grasp my mind around the fact that, through Christ, I am worthwhile and important.

At the time, I didn't realize it, but I suffered from a very twisted form of pride, and I REALLY had to surrender my WHOLE heart and soul to Him, in order for Him to alleviate these emotions, because they were CRIPPLING!!

Like you, I found my feelings of worthlessness and rejection hindering my spiritual growth. It's so easy to get sucked into that vortex of self-depracation, but as you pointed out, you just have to put those feelings aside, and get back on your feet.

This is a sure sign of spiritual maturity, and it appears that you have grown...no doubt because you put your nose to the grindstone, and just "did it." That is awesome...be encouraged, my brother.

It's commonplace to think that you must grow before you serve, but I think it's just as important to realize that, sometimes, it's serving that helps you to grow...especially when you're in the middle of the valley.

Anyhow, you're post was cool. Keep it up....You're attitude shows a lot of maturity.

ImmenseDisciple
Dec 16th 2007, 06:30 PM

I don't doubt your earnestness, and am sure you know the bible far, far better than me. However, you do not know what it means to be "baptised with the holy spirit". Do not assume that your own experience of God and your own understanding of God encapsulates all there is to know of Him, especially if the book (which is, of course, by far the best book there ever has been or ever will be) is your only source. I know my God, and it is not because of anything written by the hand of man. It is because he is an absolute, irrefutable force in my life, beyond my emotion, beyond my reason, he is my all.

ImmenseDisciple
Dec 16th 2007, 06:34 PM

God Bless,
Alaina

It's glorious when the spirit fills you when you're praying, truly incomparable. I'd suggest praying longer (always a good thing) and trying to let the living spirit guide you as to who, or what, you should pray for. Having prayed, if you read the bible the spirit will lead you to a new understanding, and bring you to messages within it which are specifically meant for you, for right now. It's awesome. Never let anyone dampen your enthusiasm because they don't understand what you're experiencing- the living spirit is a very real force which, encapsulating God's love & wisdom, can guide and comfort you like nothing else.

It's always great to hear from someone who knows the spirit. Much love :)

Just re-read what you said; "feeling like you're not here" I know what you mean, when the presence is within me the whole world, including my physical self fade into insignificance and it really does feel like my soul and the spirit are all that there is for that beautiful moment. Afterwards I'm always thinking, "This place almost seems real!" :D