PDA

View Full Version : Christians who struggle with addictions and problems...

cheech
Nov 29th 2007, 10:09 PM
This is something I've been seeing more of in my little church and hearing much about..."A Christian shouldn't be struggling" or "I'm ashamed to go to God again with the same struggles".

Matt 11:28
"Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest".

Sometimes we can go so long without struggling and we feel so peaceful and happy. Then an obstacle gets in our path and we begin to struggle. We stress about it and sometimes we give in. Sometimes we struggle so hard our Armor (of God) becomes worn and dull and this is usually the time the enemy begins his attack and speaks his lies:

"Some Christian you are...still struggling!" "God can't possibly use you as his servant when you can't even get your act together" "you are not good enough" "you are weak and worthless".

Yet, when we read the Bible, it tells us just the opposite!

Psalm 34:17-20
The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them;
he delivers them from all their troubles.

The LORD is close to the brokenhearted
and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
A righteous man may have many troubles,
but the LORD delivers him from them all; he protects all his bones,
not one of them will be broken.

These verses prove just the opposite of what we sometimes think. The righteous man may have many troubles but the Lord delivers them from all! Many times when we struggle we don't forgive ourselves. God forgives us but we can't. When we can't forgive ourselves we then have no peace because then we just agree with the lies of the enemy about ourselves.

Some cry out for help to God but feel as though he isn't listening or they can't feel him or hear him anymore. That may be because he has told us many times what we need to do to overcome our problems but for some reason we fail to listen. He never turns away, he just waits patiently for us to finally hear him. Many even feel ashamed to go back to God after struggling over the same thing over and over. What if one of your children was struggling with something and you knew they were trying so hard to beat it but they continued to struggle and they came to you for help for the upteenth time? Would you turn away especially when you knew they were trying? No...and neither will God! How would you feel if that child came to you for help and you gave them comfort and advice but they turned away not listening nor following that advice because it wasn't fixing their situation immediately? You'd probably feel the same way as God does with us...a bit frustrated but still sad over your situation, waiting and hoping for you to listen. We know we would always be there for our children so what makes us sometimes think that God won't be there for us again? The Bible states the opposite:

Psalm 103:13-14
The Lord is like a father to his children, tender and compassionate to those who fear him. For he knows how weak we are; he remembers we are only dust.

God knows our strengths and weaknesses and just as we go to him when we are strong, we must go to him when we are weak and tired as well:

"Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest".

The one thing we must realize is that we can't try to solve our problems alone. We, alone, are powerless, but with Christ we are strong and the enemy knows this, that is why he tries to lead us away from Christ...away from the very one who can protect us and shield us through faith:

1 Peter 1:5-7
5 And through your faith, God is protecting you by his power until you receive this salvation, which is ready to be revealed on the last day for all to see.

6 So be truly glad.[a (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Peter%201:4-7;&version=51;#fen-NLT-30340a)] There is wonderful joy ahead, even though you have to endure many trials for a little while. 7 These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold—though your faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world.

So, you see, any burdens and struggles we may be going through is a test of faith. It doesn't mean we are bad Christians because we struggle, it means we are human and God knows our hearts. Job was a most righteous man, yet he wasn't beyond struggles and he was tested. How many more from the Bible can we come up with that struggled yet kept their faith through it all knowing that in God's time he would see them through.

When struggling, we must not withdraw and go through it alone, ashamed that we are struggling yet again. We must do just the opposite and go to God and seek help and support from others:

Psalm 62:5-8
Let all that I am wait quietly before God, for my hope is in him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress where I will not be shaken. My victory and honor come from God alone. He is my refuge, a rock where no enemy can reach me. O my people, trust in him at all times. Pour out your heart to him, for God is our refuge.

"Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest".

gertiegrl
Dec 4th 2007, 02:52 AM
Cheech. I dont know how long this thread has been here, but I just read it with tears running down my face. Iam still overcoming, but in my strength because I feel too ashamed to go to the Lord. The lies of the enemy have gotten to me and I have been running from God again, and trying to do it all by myself. This post really spoke to my heart and I thank you for it.

Luvvies.

Fresh Clay
Dec 4th 2007, 03:06 AM
I came accross this "Prayer for Addiction" and thought I would share it here.
Dear Heavenly Father, I stand in faith on the authority I have as a believer in Jesus Christ, and a co-heir of His kingdom. Your Word says that satan has come down with great wrath, knowing that he has only a short time. This disease is a spiritual disease that has become a curse on an entire generation. We know Lord that You are the only answer. We know Lord that the enemy comes to steal our lives, to kill and destroy our families. He is a liar and the father of lies and there is no truth in him (John 10:10 (javascript://), John 8:44 (javascript://)). In the name of Jesus Christ, I bind every evil spirit and every evil plan the enemy has planned to keep me in this addiction I cancel satan's plan and call forth Your plan for my life, Lord Jesus. God's Word says that God has plans for my life right now. (Jeremiah 29:11 (javascript://)) for me and I claim god's plan for my life right now. Father, I ask that Your will be done in this situation, as it is done in heaven. I give thanks and praise to You dear Heavenly Father and I bind and declare it unlawful and evil based on God's Word because we have His authority through Jesus Christ to execute this judgement on the forces of satan (Psalm 149:5 (javascript://)). Our faith in Your Word release the power from heaven that binds the evil I am facing in this addiction. Heavenly Father, I ask that you will send Your forces to drive back all the forces of the enemies of Christ that are working in this stronghold of addiction. Your Word says that the adversaries of the Lord shall be broken in pieces in Your perfect timing, and will bring salvation, restoration and healing to me (Samuel 2:10 (javascript://)). O Lord, with each new day, help me to be strong and continue to trust you. Bring into my eyes and heart an honesty that sees my true situation and finds support in your goodness and guidance. I declare release from my addiction and receive goodness and guidance. I declare release from my addiction and receive my renewed joy in living from this day forward (Psalms 21:1 (javascript://)). Help me to recognize your hand in all things. Please help me O'Lord, to seek peace and patience as I work through the issues that bind me (Galatians 5:21 (javascript://)). I pray also for those that have bore the hurt of watching my life depreciate. May they forgive me for the many hurts I have hurled at this addiction (Mathew 6:14 (javascript://)). To You O'Lord, I lift up my soul. Let me not be ashamed for I put my trust in You. I ask that I may be with Your spirit today. Cleanse my mind of all darkness and fill it with love and light. Almighty God, You sent Jesus to set the captives free (Isaiah 61 (javascript://)). I know Your power and I know Your might. I ask that You deliver me from all addictions and bondages that has kept me from being and doing my best. This sin is repulsive and I can no longer tolerate it. I know Lord that You and only You can and will deliver me from this evil. I ask You Lord to be a place of refuge during this grueling time. Send me Your help. Let me arm myself with strength and hope and help of others that will companion with me and give me sound and Godly advice. I believe in miracles and according to Your Word in Psalms 149:5 (javascript://), I have the authority through Jesus Christ to execute judgement on the forces of satan and release power from heaven to bind the evil that I am facing in this addiction. Heavenly Father I ask that You send Your angelic warriors to drive back the enemy of Christ that are working in this stronghold of addiction. Your Word says in 1 Samuel 2:10 (javascript://) that the adversares of the Lord shall be broken in pieces and You will bring salvation, restoration and healing to me. From heaven You will thunder against them and You will give strength to Your children and exalt the horn of Your anointed. In Jesus Name we pray, Amen

Brother Mark
Dec 4th 2007, 03:42 AM
Amen Cheech. Our struggling does not catch God by surprise. He even told us in Joshua that we would conquer through taking one step at a time. Often, victory is a process. Sometimes, it happens suddenly like it did at Jerico. Other times, it takes a while. Thanks for posting that.

cheech
Dec 4th 2007, 04:49 AM
gertie...you hang in there. I wrote this because I recently had to give an exhortation at our church and these verses were the ones the Lord led me to because some of the people in our little church were struggling so. I hadn't realized so many of them were struggling until I called anyone who was struggling to just come up to the altar and lay it at the feet of Christ. Amazing. I'm glad this could help you gertie. Never give up :hug:.

Fresh Clay, thank you for the prayer :hug:. Only Christ can break the chains that bind some so tightly.

Brother Mark, you got it. Sometimes I don't really think people realize just how many go through it.

Kingsdaughter
Jan 8th 2008, 05:14 PM
This is such an amazing thread Cheech. What an encouragement to know that believers do indeed struggle with addictions or strongholds in their life. I too was told as a new believer years ago that if you are saved, then you won't be struggling and for the first few months after getting saved, it were great I had this new relationship with Jesus and I was on a "fire for the Lord":D But then He began to deal with certain areas in my life and He began to show me that there are "attitudes, thought patterns" that shouldn't be there and I struggled. Because I didn't really have a good church to go to or anyone to tell me....that me struggling in this area is all a part of growing and maturing in the Lord...I backslid( Of coarse I am the one who backslid and I'm not blaming the "church" for not being there to teach me) for a few years and finally re-committed my life to Christ, 3yrs ago.

cheech
Jan 16th 2008, 03:32 AM
That's right kd...we all struggle. God will definitely make us face that which we need to overcome and get rid of in our lives that hold us back.

gertiegrl
Jan 22nd 2008, 08:02 AM
Kinsdaughter, thank you for sharing what is probably only a teeny bit of your testimony here with us. I am certainly well aware of the "idea" of Christianity which puts us all as problem free and perfect. i think that is part of the reason why Christians are often branded as hypocrites, because people percieve that as Christians we think we are perfect when not one of us are, the only difference however is that we -know- we are not perfect and know thats why we need Jesus in our lives. Addictions and problems are a stuggle for anyone and everyone...... I believe in some ways it can be harder (and easier) for us as Christians, it is a struggle to accept (as in my case) that someone can hold a strong faith in the son of God, but still be an alcoholic - that may seem to be hypocritical to some... But any Christian should know that this is a sinful area in my life that Jesus justifies me before God for, and is working to transform me out of. To me - I am always going to be a work in progress, its just that as an alcoholic, the work is more obvious right now. Thats my perspective anyway, that othrs may choose to disagree with. Thank you for your thoughts darl, nice to have you over here in the breaking the chains forum!

Kingsdaughter
Jan 24th 2008, 04:16 PM
Amen! You know there are other sins that are not as obvious as drinking or drugs. It could be anger, unforgiveness, bitterness, gossip etc. It really is a matter of the heart and what is in our hearts. God will most definitely bring out what is inside so that we can deal with them. I call them "hidden sins" but they are really not all that hidden, because eventually they come out in our attitude and what we say. The bible says that what is in a man's heart will come out in what he says. Thank you for sharing:hug:

Brother Mark
Jan 24th 2008, 04:19 PM
Joshua is one of my favorite books. To me, it is a book about overcoming strongholds and fighting the war against the enemy. In the first chapter, God said "Be strong and courageous" FOUR times! War is not pleasant though it can bring wonderful results.

Let us all fight against our addictions and war with them. One step at a time we overcome and have victory. Though we fall down, yet we will arise.

Mic 7:8
8 Do not rejoice over me, O my enemy.
Though I fall I will rise;
Though I dwell in darkness, the Lord is a light for me.
NASU

Sometimes, getting up is the victory. The difference between a lost man and a saved man... the saved man will get out of pit. He won't stay there. He will repent even if he has to repent seven times in one day!

Kingsdaughter
Jan 24th 2008, 04:23 PM
That is so true Mark, your post is very encouraging and thanks for scripture brother:saint:

ELECTEDBYHIM
Mar 9th 2008, 01:56 PM
Greetings

Beloved, I to struggle with sin. I come from a background of sex, drugs and alcohol. For the last year I have struggled with drinking. Not only, has this ruined my testimony, but has stunted my spiritual growth. I have been trying to overcome this sin and grasp my victory for a season. However, I find that I am trying to do this in my own strength (pride). I have come to yet another crossroad in my Christian walk. I know that I can have victory. I shall humble myself and submit to the Lord. I will step out in faith in action, and wait upon the Lord.

In His service,
JW Johnson
1 Co. 9:16

cheech
Mar 9th 2008, 04:05 PM
hello electedbyhim :). Just remember this verse:

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

We can do nothing on our own. On our own we are weak. Through Christ we are strong! Don't give up and continue praying. God hears your prayers and knows your heart :hug:.

swarr
Aug 7th 2008, 11:42 PM
Thanks Cheech and others who have posted. For almost 10 months I have been drinking and before I had almost 3 years of sobriety. Recently I have been plagued by thoughts that I may not be saved because of these relapses. During my sobriety I shared with other addicts how God rescued me, but now feel I have lost that opportunity and would be a hypocrit. I have now been sober 7 days. Please pray for me.

Your brother in Christ,
Steve

cheech
Aug 8th 2008, 12:06 AM
Steve, you had a relapse. You fell. It happens. The enemy is good at getting people to believe that because you have fallen there is no hope for you and your salvation is gone. There is nothing wrong with rededicating your life to Christ. You may want to go to your Pastor and speak with him about this. If you don't have one nor have a church you attend, I highly recommend you find a church and speak with a Pastor. You might want to look around and see if there is a biblical recovery program in your area that you can attend. There is a well known one called Celebrate Recovery. Other churches have other recovery programs too though. Start calling. You definitely need support.

May God strengthen your armor and renew your mind. God bless you :hug:

livingwaters
Aug 10th 2008, 02:56 AM
Steve, listen up. You get that armor shined up, Buddy. Be ready when the devil tries to tempt you. Stand firm on the Word. I have these two scriptures, among others, that I stand on everyday. Phil 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." The other is 1 John 4:4, "Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world."

You have authority over satan.. Jesus died to give us this authority. We have to dig deep into our self and pull out HIS power!!!!Amen

God Bless!!! Keep the Faith!!!:D:pray::hug:

WretchedSinner
Oct 2nd 2008, 04:42 PM
Cheech, thank you so much for that post! It was exactly what I needed to hear right at this moment in my life. The tears streaming down my face make it hard to type, but I just wanted to say ty and God bless you!

turtledove
Oct 2nd 2008, 05:05 PM
This is awesome! :ppThis thread was started on November 29, 2007 and yet others are still being blessed by the posts which were given here. I am praising God who surely is glorified in this.

God's Word endures...it does not return to us void. Amen and thanks, Cheech.

:hug:wiseoldowl ... facilitator.

MercyChild
Oct 27th 2008, 04:22 PM
I read this article and tried to understand it. I am a drug addict in recovery and had been clean for 3 weeks. This is about the longest i have been clean in a years time. I am so afraid of relapsing. I tried to understand the above, and is seeking for peace as mentioned. I am really in need of Christ :B:giveup::help:

MercyChild
Oct 27th 2008, 04:27 PM
[quote=Linda Steyn;1842543]I read this article and tried to understand it. I am a drug addict in recovery and had been clean for 3 weeks. This is about the longest i have been clean in the last year. I am so afraid of relapsing. I tried to understand the above, and is seeking for peace as mentioned. I am really in need of Christ and feel like an outcast at times. :B:giveup::help:

cheech
Oct 27th 2008, 05:39 PM
I'm glad this thread can help people. In recovery, you should remember two very important things:

1. Do not dwell on the past

2. Do not worry when your next relapse will be

When you make that claim to Christ and become saved...you are saved. Yes, there are times we may get side tracked and led off the path, but that is when you confess your sins to God, repent of them and get right back on that path. If you wish to renew your salvation vows then do it. I've said it every time I see someone get saved at church. I know I'm saved...they are just comforting words.

Do not dwell on the past of how many times you've messed up. All that will do is take you back and make you feel there is simply no hope. Well I can tell you this...we serve a God of Hope!

Romans 5:1-5
1Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. 3Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

Romans 8:23-25
23Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. 24For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? 25But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.

You must persevere towards that goal. The enemy will do everything in his power to put that block in front of you to cause doubt and fear and make you stop...but you must keep going towards that goal no matter how hard that walk is. Patient endurance!

2 Cor 1:6
If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer.

Phil 3:12-14
12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Let nothing stand in your way of reaching your goal and working for the Kingdom of God. Submit your burdens every single day to the Lord...place them at the foot of the cross and when the temptations hit, say "I give it to you God...I give it all to you" and keep walking. Don't stop and ponder...keep moving.

PRESS ON TOWARDS THE GOAL! DO NOT STOP! ADVANCE, ADVANCE, ADVANCE!

MercyChild
Oct 29th 2008, 09:21 AM
It made me feel so much relief when i read this thread. Still new in Christ and struggling to find some answers. Stuck in a place where no ones even speaks english or understand my language.

I struggle from moment to moment to not do the same things as before, and the difficulty is that there is no one whom i can ask some advice from.

I have no one to really lead me into the right direction, and to learn me what Christianity is all about.

I am also ADDH, and sometimes find it hard to concentrate while reading. So it feels as if I am moving so slow.

Nice to know that even being a Christian, there is still room to make mistakes, and that God can still forgive me, if I fall and not keeping up with His standards :giveup:

paidforinfull
Oct 29th 2008, 08:47 PM
It made me feel so much relief when i read this thread. Still new in Christ and struggling to find some answers. Stuck in a place where no ones even speaks english or understand my language.

I struggle from moment to moment to not do the same things as before, and the difficulty is that there is no one whom i can ask some advice from.

I have no one to really lead me into the right direction, and to learn me what Christianity is all about.

I am also ADDH, and sometimes find it hard to concentrate while reading. So it feels as if I am moving so slow.

Nice to know that even being a Christian, there is still room to make mistakes, and that God can still forgive me, if I fall and not keeping up with His standards :giveup:

Linda - God is a God of new beginnings. As far as God is concerned, the past is not only forgotten and forgiven - it has never even happened! We often bash ourselves over something long after we have asked God for forgiveness. Silly us! Anyway, it is clear that you are desperately crying out to God. He hears you, Linda. He hears you loud and clear, and He is with you - now and always. He will never leave you or forsake you. Even when you are weak, He is your strength.

Of course you are not perfect - no human being is. We are all 'works in progress', becoming more and more like Him, but we will only stop making mistakes when we get to heaven. There is a saying (ok, it is a cliche, but a good one): 'Salvation only takes a moment, but sanctification takes a lifetime'.

If you find it difficult to concentrate while you are reading, you could try to listen to Christian sermons over the internet (if you have internet at home). Just a suggestion. Another one is to read until you get tired, take a rest and try again. I pray :pray: that God gives you understanding when you read the Bible.

May God bless you and give you strength in this difficult time.

MercyChild
Oct 31st 2008, 07:09 AM
[quote=paidforinfull;1845747]Linda - God is a God of new beginnings.

Thank you for the advice. At this time i feel like a spunge, taking in as much as possible.

God has been so good to me. I have made contact with my one halfsister, whom i hardly ever known. I only knew she was living in Londen. I had to oppertunity to meet her on facebook, and while i am in Europe we arranged to meet with each other.

Yes, the past is dreadful sometimes, and i am praying that God will help me to deal with everything that happend, and where i am suppose to ask forgiveness that He will lead me!

Thank you for all the advice and support
;)

Elijah's Mantle
Jul 17th 2009, 02:19 AM
:) this was a awesome thread to read :idea:

GFR1718
Oct 27th 2009, 01:59 AM
Ye of little faith , just hand the problem your struggling over to GOD and he will still those troubled water's.:pray:

drericldavis
Dec 2nd 2009, 04:57 AM
I just wanted to take a moment to share with you that I recently wrote a book called "The Bible and Recovery: Biblical Aspects of the Twelve Steps and Other Recovery Principles."

If you are a Christian interested in recovery, you may find this book of interest.

In Christ!

Eric

Edit: Link removed

Sunshine
Nov 10th 2010, 10:28 PM
brilliant thread !!

DDGresham1
Nov 11th 2010, 01:40 AM
I talked to my first sponsee today. Not the first one I've ever talked to, but the first sponsee I had in the program. I had sponsered him when all I had done was go through the steps and have a mild spiritual awakening. I was nowhere near where I am now (and boy do I still have a long way to go). I had thoughts over the last 2 1/2 years of how I had failed him. I had walked him through the steps and tried to get him focused on his shortcomings and to get him to focus on being the person that his HP wanted him to be. I did have him call me and e mail me for a few weeks, but then it fizzled out. Had I done my best? Was it adequate even though I was a weak sponsor? Had it helped? Not that I need affirmation to feel good about myself, I was just genuinely concerned that I had given a weak effort and failed to gain the knowledge and understanding due to my own laziness. How could I live with that? Well, I contacted him last week and talked to him tonight. He has had a huge spiritual awakening. The ammends he made to his father helped (he believes) lead his father to stop drinking and they have developed a relationship. He is actually helping anther victim of lust and I think he is looking into sponsoring him. It sounds weak, but this brought tears to my eyes. I...ME...had had a positive effect on a persons life and that was going to go on to help others down the line! Of course, I believe that God just used me to do his will, but still it felt good. I still struggle. Still need grace, spiritual growth and understanding every day, but man I feel good right now. Not proud, but good. Anyway, thanks for letting me share.

trudije
Apr 10th 2012, 05:16 PM
Thanks I am struggling with prescription drug addiction, I was an alcoholic but God took that away. But following my self I started pills I have been an addict to something since I was 19. I am 42. I became a Christian in 2008 and was Batised.
I love the Lord with all my heart and have never questioned him. I do pray for release. I know its so deeply en grained within me the devil easily gets in. I do so much work for the Church and Love my Lord.
Please can someone tell me will I be rejected by God?

claybevan
Apr 29th 2012, 05:18 PM
I came accross this "Prayer for Addiction" and thought I would share it here.
Dear Heavenly Father, I stand in faith on the authority I have as a believer in Jesus Christ, and a co-heir of His kingdom. Your Word says that satan has come down with great wrath, knowing that he has only a short time. This disease is a spiritual disease that has become a curse on an entire generation. We know Lord that You are the only answer. We know Lord that the enemy comes to steal our lives, to kill and destroy our families. He is a liar and the father of lies and there is no truth in him (John 10:10 (javascript://), John 8:44 (javascript://)). In the name of Jesus Christ, I bind every evil spirit and every evil plan the enemy has planned to keep me in this addiction I cancel satan's plan and call forth Your plan for my life, Lord Jesus. God's Word says that God has plans for my life right now. (Jeremiah 29:11 (javascript://)) for me and I claim god's plan for my life right now. Father, I ask that Your will be done in this situation, as it is done in heaven. I give thanks and praise to You dear Heavenly Father and I bind and declare it unlawful and evil based on God's Word because we have His authority through Jesus Christ to execute this judgement on the forces of satan (Psalm 149:5 (javascript://)). Our faith in Your Word release the power from heaven that binds the evil I am facing in this addiction. Heavenly Father, I ask that you will send Your forces to drive back all the forces of the enemies of Christ that are working in this stronghold of addiction. Your Word says that the adversaries of the Lord shall be broken in pieces in Your perfect timing, and will bring salvation, restoration and healing to me (Samuel 2:10 (javascript://)). O Lord, with each new day, help me to be strong and continue to trust you. Bring into my eyes and heart an honesty that sees my true situation and finds support in your goodness and guidance. I declare release from my addiction and receive goodness and guidance. I declare release from my addiction and receive my renewed joy in living from this day forward (Psalms 21:1 (javascript://)). Help me to recognize your hand in all things. Please help me O'Lord, to seek peace and patience as I work through the issues that bind me (Galatians 5:21 (javascript://)). I pray also for those that have bore the hurt of watching my life depreciate. May they forgive me for the many hurts I have hurled at this addiction (Mathew 6:14 (javascript://)). To You O'Lord, I lift up my soul. Let me not be ashamed for I put my trust in You. I ask that I may be with Your spirit today. Cleanse my mind of all darkness and fill it with love and light. Almighty God, You sent Jesus to set the captives free (Isaiah 61 (javascript://)). I know Your power and I know Your might. I ask that You deliver me from all addictions and bondages that has kept me from being and doing my best. This sin is repulsive and I can no longer tolerate it. I know Lord that You and only You can and will deliver me from this evil. I ask You Lord to be a place of refuge during this grueling time. Send me Your help. Let me arm myself with strength and hope and help of others that will companion with me and give me sound and Godly advice. I believe in miracles and according to Your Word in Psalms 149:5 (javascript://), I have the authority through Jesus Christ to execute judgement on the forces of satan and release power from heaven to bind the evil that I am facing in this addiction. Heavenly Father I ask that You send Your angelic warriors to drive back the enemy of Christ that are working in this stronghold of addiction. Your Word says in 1 Samuel 2:10 (javascript://) that the adversares of the Lord shall be broken in pieces and You will bring salvation, restoration and healing to me. From heaven You will thunder against them and You will give strength to Your children and exalt the horn of Your anointed. In Jesus Name we pray, Amen

Thank you so much for this prayer, my son has been struggling with drug addiction for years, he has a strong faith but just cannot seem to conquer it, he said the other day that every time he goes for another fix he feels like he is hammering another nail into Christ and yet still he cannot turn away. As parents we are often so embroiled in the battle that even praying is difficult. Thanks again for renewed encouragement.

hear111thevoice
Jan 13th 2013, 02:59 AM
The enemy loves when we dwell on feeling guilty because this is when he enters. I have learned that God forgives as soon as we ask for forgiveness. He loves us more than we love ourselves. I struggled with smoking the first 3 years that i was attending church. In that time no one condemned me or told me that i was going to hell if i didn't quit, which was quite surprising. They did pray for me several times, but as soon as i walked out, i lit up. I wanted so much to stop, i knew that it was interfering with my spiritual growth. I smoked for 20 years almost 2 packs a day. I was so miserable and very unhealthy. Constantly in the emergency room with asthma and anxiety attacks. But one day, one beautiful evening God heard my cries and saw my honest effort. After throwing out my cigarettes countless of times and diving into the trash can to recover them lol. I sat in church as usual in my parks dept. uniform, tired from work and thinking about smoking a cigarette when this Preacher who was visiting our church that day, called me up. I stood up and walked toward him, he said "there is something binding you and keeping you from your blessing". I thought that it was just another prayer. He told me to lift my hands and told everyone to stand. He said that he would count to 3 and everyone should shout "Out"!. So he counted 1,2,3! Everyone yelled "Out"! and i fell back. He counted again and as soon as the people screamed, out! The Holy Spirit took over me and i felt as if i was there for hours, but it had been about 10 minutes. When i stood up, i felt dizzy and nauseous. I walked out of the church that night, threw out my cigarettes right outside the door and did not crave them anymore. That was 11 years ago, God is Good! Remember God just wants an honest effort and He will do the rest. God bless you.

hear111thevoice
Jan 13th 2013, 03:07 AM
Amen, the victory is already yours for the taking. Once you grasp it, you will reach a whole new spiritual rank. The Lord wants you to make an honest effort, that is all you need to do. Make an honest effort and He will take over when you grow weary.

Nick
Jan 13th 2013, 04:53 AM
Well, I just had a colossal slip in San Francisco while there for the week on business last week. Back-to-back meetings, receptions, cocktail parties and the next thing I know I'm drunk again. Drank straight through the conference. Got so hammered the night before I'd be literally drunk at my morning meetings, and then need to pop into a pub for a few pints of beer to level off for my afternoon meetings. I can't drink, ever, but I always seem to believe the lie one more time, despite the mountains of evidence to the contrary. It was a great conference for business, but personally, the liquor demons are back. I guess back to AA and start all over again for 1,000th time.

Dani H
Jan 13th 2013, 05:00 AM
Well, I just had a colossal slip in San Francisco while there for the week on business last week. Back-to-back meetings, receptions, cocktail parties and the next thing I know I'm drunk again. Drank straight through the conference. Got so hammered the night before I'd be literally drunk at my morning meetings, and then need to pop into a pub for a few pints of beer to level off for my afternoon meetings. I can't drink, ever, but I always seem to believe the lie one more time, despite the mountains of evidence to the contrary. It was a great conference for business, but personally, the liquor demons are back. I guess back to AA and start all over again for 1,000th time.

Your liver will thank you later. A righteous man falls 7 times and gets back up again.

Maybe this time try and figure out why you drink, and what's so special about alcohol that Jesus can't provide in a better way? :hug:

Nick
Jan 13th 2013, 05:07 PM
Your liver will thank you later. A righteous man falls 7 times and gets back up again.

Maybe this time try and figure out why you drink, and what's so special about alcohol that Jesus can't provide in a better way? :hug:

I'm not feeling very righteous right now. I feel like that guy that just doesn't get it.

Dani H
Jan 13th 2013, 05:55 PM
I'm not feeling very righteous right now. I feel like that guy that just doesn't get it.

Your righteousness was imparted to you as a gift by Jesus. You're carrier of HIS righteousness. Seek to live worthy of it, yes? It's NOT based on our works. It's based on HIS work for us and in us.

You will never be more righteous than you were at the day you were imparted Jesus' own righteousness. How much alcohol you drink has exactly zero to do with that.

Our endeavor to be holy and live pure is a response of a pure conscience towards God, of joy and happiness and thankfulness for His great salvation.

Get your eyes and mind off yourself and your failures and shortcomings and quit obsessing over them. You will see nothing there to help you. Look to Jesus instead. He IS your salvation.

guero
Jan 13th 2013, 08:09 PM
Anyone who believes that once one becomes a true Christian all struggles will cease is deluded. As Christians we will struggle against evil all of our lives, in many cases exactly because we are Christians. Through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God (Acts 14:22). Be sober, be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking some one to devour (1 Peter 5:8).

One of the deuterocanonical books (in the original KJV) also instructs:

My son, if you come forward to serve the Lord, prepare yourself for temptation. Set your heart right and be steadfast, and do not be hasty in time of calamity. Cleave to Him and do not depart, that you may be honored at the end of your life. Accept whatever is brought upon you, and in changes that humble you be patient. For gold is tested in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of humiliation (Sirach 2:1-5)

Nick
Jan 17th 2013, 06:03 AM
Your righteousness was imparted to you as a gift by Jesus. You're carrier of HIS righteousness. Seek to live worthy of it, yes? It's NOT based on our works. It's based on HIS work for us and in us.

You will never be more righteous than you were at the day you were imparted Jesus' own righteousness. How much alcohol you drink has exactly zero to do with that.

Our endeavor to be holy and live pure is a response of a pure conscience towards God, of joy and happiness and thankfulness for His great salvation.

Get your eyes and mind off yourself and your failures and shortcomings and quit obsessing over them. You will see nothing there to help you. Look to Jesus instead. He IS your salvation.

That's spot on. I've increased everything God related. For some, living a godly life comes easier than others. I just have to accept the fact that it takes more work in my case, but the alternative is bleak. I hate being an alcoholic.

Diggindeeper
Jan 17th 2013, 06:50 AM
That's spot on. I've increased everything God related. For some, living a godly life comes easier than others. I just have to accept the fact that it takes more work in my case, but the alternative is bleak. I hate being an alcoholic.

ndibari, maybe THIS time you'll get serious about who is your master?

I mean, is anyone MAKING you take those drinks? Or could it possibly be you don't want to appear ... different? No one can make you stop, until you really want to. THEN, you can turn it over to Christ Jesus.

Nick
Jan 18th 2013, 07:02 PM
ndibari, maybe THIS time you'll get serious about who is your master?

I mean, is anyone MAKING you take those drinks? Or could it possibly be you don't want to appear ... different? No one can make you stop, until you really want to. THEN, you can turn it over to Christ Jesus.

No one is "making" me take those drinks. I travel often on business, and both of my partners like to drink heavily. They can handle it. I can't, and for whatever reason I choose to forget that fact about myself while out of town. The lie I tell myself is that I can drink on this trip and leave it in San Francisco, New York, Chicago, etc. and stop when I get back home. Sometimes it works out that way but most of the time it doesn't. This last time I left it in SF but what about next time? It's a perpetual roll of the dice, the outcome of which is unpredictable. I can and have lost everything.

guero
Jan 18th 2013, 08:36 PM

A few years ago I had a similar experience, but a little worse. I started drinking at a company function around 4 in the afternoon and finished around midnight. When I got back to my hotel I woke a friend up and took him out until sunrise (we were in Europe, where there are lots of ways to stay up drinking all night). I don't really want to share much more in public - I can only tell you that I struggle with very serious addictions - but I can tell you that there are lots of business people like you and me who are struggling to follow Christ. Frankly, I think there is some good that can come from AA, but one thing that always troubled me is their semi-agnostic foundation and, more importantly, a complete disregard for the role demons play in our disease.

What I have come to believe is that the demons attack us three times:

1. First, they tell us that taking that drink will not be a big deal, we had a hard day, etc., and that God will forgive our weakness.

2. Then, when we have fallen they do their best to bring us to despair and despondency. They twisted our belief in God's mercy before and now they are doing everything they can to make us forget it.

3. But then, when we have recovered a little bit, they bring things to a completely new level. They exploit our desire to be good and to do good and then give us an exalted vision of ourselves once we are sober. We look down on the self that had fallen yesterday as some sort of homeless refuse that we will have no part of ever again. This, I think, is the cruelest trick of all, because exactly when we need humility and lack of trust in ourselves, we foresake it. This makes the next time we fall even more dreadful.

I don't have advice really, my brother, only some things I have come to believe, mostly through the counsel of others in my Church:

1. When you fall, get up and pray for God's help and mercy. When you fall down again, get up again and do the same.

2. Never think you can never fall again.

3. Don't worry about how well we did yesterday or how well we will do tomorrow. Concentrate on the moment. Say to the Lord, Lord, Here I am. I am struggling. I may fall tomorrow, but with your help and grace here I am at this moment. I may not have done so well yesterday, but with your help and grace here I am at this moment.

4. In terms of practical things to do, read the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John) over and over again. Read one or more Psalms each day. Maybe read some other spiritually-oriented books. One I have found helpful is one by an Australian addict, Victor Mailhoff, entitled Breaking the Chains of Addiction

This may sound odd to some, but in some strange way those of us with addictions are blessed, for we are reminded time and time again of our weakness and our need for God's help. Maybe if we didn't carry the crosses we do we would be phenomenally rich and successful and give no mind to God at all. His Providence is often not understood. I once read a story about someone telling some elderly Greek monk that some other monk died and it was sad, because he succumbed continually to an addiction that he had. The monk said, "Oh, no - He is in heaven and the angels are rejoicing!" The visitor asked, "How can that be, after all that he did?" "No, No, you don't understand," said the elder. "He was a fighter, and God loved him because he never gave up struggling."

There is probably a lot more I should/could share, but this is what comes immediately to mind.

God keep you brother. Please pray for me!

RabbiKnife
Jan 18th 2013, 08:50 PM
The only thing worse that starting over at Day 1 for the 1000th time is not starting over at Day 1 for the 1000th time.

Dani H
Jan 18th 2013, 09:04 PM
The only thing worse that starting over at Day 1 for the 1000th time is not starting over at Day 1 for the 1000th time.

^^^^

As long as you're struggling ... you're not defeated.

Nick
Jan 19th 2013, 05:55 AM
A few years ago I had a similar experience, but a little worse. I started drinking at a company function around 4 in the afternoon and finished around midnight. When I got back to my hotel I woke a friend up and took him out until sunrise (we were in Europe, where there are lots of ways to stay up drinking all night). I don't really want to share much more in public - I can only tell you that I struggle with very serious addictions - but I can tell you that there are lots of business people like you and me who are struggling to follow Christ. Frankly, I think there is some good that can come from AA, but one thing that always troubled me is their semi-agnostic foundation and, more importantly, a complete disregard for the role demons play in our disease.

What I have come to believe is that the demons attack us three times:

1. First, they tell us that taking that drink will not be a big deal, we had a hard day, etc., and that God will forgive our weakness.

2. Then, when we have fallen they do their best to bring us to despair and despondency. They twisted our belief in God's mercy before and now they are doing everything they can to make us forget it.

3. But then, when we have recovered a little bit, they bring things to a completely new level. They exploit our desire to be good and to do good and then give us an exalted vision of ourselves once we are sober. We look down on the self that had fallen yesterday as some sort of homeless refuse that we will have no part of ever again. This, I think, is the cruelest trick of all, because exactly when we need humility and lack of trust in ourselves, we foresake it. This makes the next time we fall even more dreadful.

I don't have advice really, my brother, only some things I have come to believe, mostly through the counsel of others in my Church:

1. When you fall, get up and pray for God's help and mercy. When you fall down again, get up again and do the same.

2. Never think you can never fall again.

3. Don't worry about how well we did yesterday or how well we will do tomorrow. Concentrate on the moment. Say to the Lord, Lord, Here I am. I am struggling. I may fall tomorrow, but with your help and grace here I am at this moment. I may not have done so well yesterday, but with your help and grace here I am at this moment.

4. In terms of practical things to do, read the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John) over and over again. Read one or more Psalms each day. Maybe read some other spiritually-oriented books. One I have found helpful is one by an Australian addict, Victor Mailhoff, entitled Breaking the Chains of Addiction

This may sound odd to some, but in some strange way those of us with addictions are blessed, for we are reminded time and time again of our weakness and our need for God's help. Maybe if we didn't carry the crosses we do we would be phenomenally rich and successful and give no mind to God at all. His Providence is often not understood. I once read a story about someone telling some elderly Greek monk that some other monk died and it was sad, because he succumbed continually to an addiction that he had. The monk said, "Oh, no - He is in heaven and the angels are rejoicing!" The visitor asked, "How can that be, after all that he did?" "No, No, you don't understand," said the elder. "He was a fighter, and God loved him because he never gave up struggling."

There is probably a lot more I should/could share, but this is what comes immediately to mind.

God keep you brother. Please pray for me!

I don't much care for AA's indifferent approach to God either. It helps me to have a personified God (Jesus) versus some "Spirit of the Universe" type conception. All I know is there are many people with 10, 20, 30 + years of sobriety that live contented and useful lives who don't share our faith. If you mention Jesus in an AA meeting you can see the eyes roll so I don't when I share. I'm there to learn how to stay sober, and AA has worked for millions.

The church has adopted some of AA's approach to recovery through Celebrate Recovery. It's the Christian version of the 12 steps. The difference is they don't separate by affliction. The step studies have people that are alcoholics, drug addicts, porn addicts, gamblers, overeaters, etc. There is no commonality. One of the benefits of AA is there's a common solution to a common problem (drunks helping drunks). I go to AA for sobriety and bible studies and church for spirituality. All I know is when I focus more on church activities and less on AA meetings and service I end up drunk. I don't know why that is, but it seems I need to both to stay sober and connected to God.

Nick
Jan 19th 2013, 05:59 AM

I can't argue with that.

evil2saved
Jan 23rd 2014, 03:47 AM
Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

This is a very simple verse and I love simple. We've all heard it and read it at one time or another. Too many times, the Lord's words become numb to us because we are numb to Him. Philippians 4:13 delivers a POWERFUL POWERFUL message. We must believe it with all of our hearts, soul, and might! God never rests and calls us unto Him because He loves us with more compassion than we will ever know.

I didn't have drug or alcohol addictions, because God foreknew what I can handle and what I cannot. I had other sins and in many ways, more destructive than drugs and/or alcohol. You see, God knows our limits and ALWAYS provides us with a way out. Check out 1 Corinthians 10:13, "No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it". What an awesome message from God to all of us!!! We MUST BELIEVE in Him as a child would.

I'm a born again Christian who've slipped and nearly lost the good fight, but the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ brought me back from the darkness into the light! Satan loves to tell us that what we are doing isn't hurting anyone and that we deserve the pleasures of this world; he is the master of deceit as we all know. I wanted the best of both worlds so I walked with one foot in the world. I can't speak for the rest of you all, but I didn't want to lay down EVERYTHING to the Lord. That is a product of arrogance and in too many cases, this leads to our downfall. God does not want a partial me; He wants ALL of me! When ever I tried to kick my sins and destructive habits, I wanted to do it for me so that I won't be in spiritual pain. I might have told myself that I'm doing it for God, but who was I fooling We need to check our hearts and ask the Holy Spirit to search our spirit; we need His convictions. I was the center of focus even though I thought that God was at the center. It was a futile attempt at healing myself through my works, all the while convincing myself that I was really doing it for God. I failed time and time again. I would go for weeks and sometime months without falling back but nevertheless, I failed miserably. Each time, I fell harder and harder. When I finally arrived at my crossroad, I lost hope. Why do we lose hope? Because the source that we are hopeful in is a hopeless one-in my case, it was me. When I was at the breaking point, the Holy Spirit hit me hard and made me realize where my focus was.... on ME. He was with me all along with powerful convictions but I ignored Him. It was all about ME wanting to get better. We've all heard this before: "put God above all, seek ye first the kingdom of God, Alpha & Omega, etc", and these messages have become numb to us because we are numb to the Holy Spirit. Is this making sense? As Paul have said time and time again, we must crucify ourselves to the cross with Jesus Christ every moment of our lives. We must suffer-to me, it means that we have to give it all that we have and we must put in the effort. Per the scripture, as the body is dead without the spirit, so is our faith without works.

God wants EVERYTHING. My pain was so great and I could not tolerate it anymore. I was at a dead end. I had no more strength to continue. I had hit rock bottom. With all my heart, soul, might, and strength, I prayed the most sincere prayer of my life. I was willing to give up my life. I wasn't suicidal but I literally wanted the Lord to take my life. I laid down EVERYTHING to the Lord. Just willing to lay it down isn't good enough. You just have to just do it. That's your part-to choose to obey. Then the Holy Spirit will do the rest. The moment I obeyed the Lord, I felt the Holy Spirit come down on me and I was healed at that very moment. My desires to sin was gone. Great joy and peace was upon me. The Lord took me back quicker than I can blink. Do I sometimes still have thoughts of going back to my sin? Sure I do, but the difference this time is that I am more sensitive to the calling of the Lord. How's that happen? By staying close to God through scripture and prayers; yes, we must work on our faith. We must eat the spiritual bread multiple times daily! Satan no longer has a hold on me! Praise our God all mighty!!!

Experiences vary but the result is the same when the Holy Spirit heals and baptizes you by fire. For some, it may feel like a long drawn out process and for some, it may be quick. We can be sure of one common result though - God works on His time and not ours, so we must patient with Him. One thing to remember is that we are ALL works in progress. By this I mean, we need to "work" as the bible clearly states, faith without works is dead. Thank God that our salvation is not through works but through the grace of our Lord! When we are cured, it is crucial that we continue our works and live our lives as Jesus Christ has commanded us according to 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, "16 Always be joyful. 17 Never stop praying. 18 Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus". If we don't, we can once again slip away from the Lord.

I will continue to pray for all of you that the Lord will work miracles in your lives for His glory!

mailmandan
Jan 23rd 2014, 12:26 PM
A poll conducted by "the world's most visited Christian website" indicates a surprising number of Christians are addicted to pornography.

"The poll results indicate that 50% of all Christian men and 20% of all Christian women are addicted to pornography.

The group defines "addicted" as applied to pornography as use on an ongoing basis.

"We are seeing an escalation to the problem in both men and women who regularly attend church," said Bill Cooper, President of ChristiaNet.com.

"No one is immunized against the vice-grip clutches of sexual addictive behaviors," reads a release issued by the site. "The people who struggle with the repeated pursuit of sexual gratification include church members, deacons, staff, and yes, even clergy."

How many Christians (especially) men can honestly say, "whenever I am tempted to lust, I NEVER give in." I have 100% conquered that sin. No problem?

If David, who was “a man after God’s own heart,” and many other strong men and women of faith yielded to sexual temptation, it could happen to any of us. Pornography may be the new addiction of this new century. Researchers are finding that when people indulge in porn, they release powerful chemicals in their brain and body. Mark Kastleman, author of The Drug of the New Millennium, said, "There are a growing number of therapists and psychologists who are saying that this is as addictive as cocaine," or alcohol, or even heroin. He explained that, when people view porn, "It causes the brain to release what we call endogenous drugs or endogenous chemicals. 'Endogenous' meaning 'produced from within.' So where cocaine or alcohol seek to mimic the brain's natural chemicals, pornography releases the real deal. And so we have things like adrenaline, epinephrine, ACTH."

Due to our fallen fleshly nature, we will have to deal with the temptation to lust until we die. The temptation to lust will come in many forms including ungodly sexual appetites; and there are lusts, such as the lust of power, fame or position. We must rely on the power of the Holy Spirit inside us to overcome lust every day. No matter the form of lust we face, we can be assured that we have a High Priest and Advocate with the Father who "understands every weakness of ours" and "was tempted in every way that we are. But He did not sin" (Hebrews 4:15; 1 John 2:1).

evil2saved
Jan 23rd 2014, 06:55 PM
A poll conducted by "the world's most visited Christian website" indicates a surprising number of Christians are addicted to pornography.

"The poll results indicate that 50% of all Christian men and 20% of all Christian women are addicted to pornography.

The group defines "addicted" as applied to pornography as use on an ongoing basis.

"We are seeing an escalation to the problem in both men and women who regularly attend church," said Bill Cooper, President of ChristiaNet.com.

"No one is immunized against the vice-grip clutches of sexual addictive behaviors," reads a release issued by the site. "The people who struggle with the repeated pursuit of sexual gratification include church members, deacons, staff, and yes, even clergy."

How many Christians (especially) men can honestly say, "whenever I am tempted to lust, I NEVER give in." I have 100% conquered that sin. No problem?

If David, who was “a man after God’s own heart,” and many other strong men and women of faith yielded to sexual temptation, it could happen to any of us. Pornography may be the new addiction of this new century. Researchers are finding that when people indulge in porn, they release powerful chemicals in their brain and body. Mark Kastleman, author of The Drug of the New Millennium, said, "There are a growing number of therapists and psychologists who are saying that this is as addictive as cocaine," or alcohol, or even heroin. He explained that, when people view porn, "It causes the brain to release what we call endogenous drugs or endogenous chemicals. 'Endogenous' meaning 'produced from within.' So where cocaine or alcohol seek to mimic the brain's natural chemicals, pornography releases the real deal. And so we have things like adrenaline, epinephrine, ACTH."

Due to our fallen fleshly nature, we will have to deal with the temptation to lust until we die. The temptation to lust will come in many forms including ungodly sexual appetites; and there are lusts, such as the lust of power, fame or position. We must rely on the power of the Holy Spirit inside us to overcome lust every day. No matter the form of lust we face, we can be assured that we have a High Priest and Advocate with the Father who "understands every weakness of ours" and "was tempted in every way that we are. But He did not sin" (Hebrews 4:15; 1 John 2:1).

Pornography is the new subtle spirit killer! Don't be fooled by what the world tells you. Pornography is one of the sins of Sexual Immorality. If you don't believe this, you are fooling yourselves. We are ALL-IN or we are completely out.

Aviyah
Jan 23rd 2014, 09:56 PM
A poll conducted by "the world's most visited Christian website" indicates a surprising number of Christians are addicted to pornography. "The poll results indicate that 50% of all Christian men and 20% of all Christian women are addicted to pornography.

In other words, only 50% & 20% of Christians admit to it. I find it interesting that we are told to resist Satan, but flee from immorality. It's such an effective weapon by the enemy that we shouldn't even attempt to stand strong in those situations.

Dimaline
May 8th 2014, 08:00 PM
I still struggle a lot with some of my addictions and it really makes me question my salvation. I just keep praying and asking for forgiveness and strength.

mailmandan
May 8th 2014, 08:01 PM
In other words, only 50% & 20% of Christians admit to it.

I was thinking the same thing. ;)

michael b
May 12th 2014, 01:52 AM
When I am tempted to fall back into sin, to fall back into addiction, I read and meditate on a couple of key verses.

By this, love is perfected with us, so that we may have confidence in the day of judgment; because as He is, so also are we in this world. I John 4:17

First, I noticed the present tense of the verbs: "as He is" and "so also are we in this world". I ask myself, "How is Jesus now?" Jesus is victorious, He is life, He is faithful, He is righteous, etc.

So my conclusion, my confession, my faith rest in...what ever Jesus is, so am I. He is patient, so am I. He is kind, so am I. He is victorious, so am I. He is triumphant over the law of sin and death, so am I.

If I want to be like Him...I need to know what and who He is...hence, I behold Him...I look at Him...with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.

bluesky22
Mar 14th 2016, 06:10 PM
This really affected me. Every Chrisitan should read is.

http://www.tscpulpitseries.org/english/undated/tsjabbok.html

Jonah
Feb 27th 2018, 11:01 PM
What goes into the mouth is not evil, for what goes into the mouth proceeded to the stomach then goes to waste, it is that which comes from the heart that can be evil. Never judge the person's heart by what proceedeth into the mouth. Deep inside there may be a child crying out or maybe a Martyr trying to save children

Edited by Jayne.

jayne
Feb 28th 2018, 02:58 AM
This thread is 11 years old. Thread closed.