PDA

View Full Version : Which version of the bible do you read?

danield
Nov 30th 2007, 10:22 PM
I have a couple now. The new living translation and the king james version. Which is the best translation and why? I would love to read your opinions.

SammeyDW
Dec 1st 2007, 06:08 AM
Personally I like the New Living Translation (NLT), and the New American Standard Bible 95 edition (NAS95/NAS updated, NASB95/NASB updated).
I like the NASB95 because it is in between the KJV and the NLT.
Retaining the 'look and feel' of the KJV, while being easy to read.

Info on the NASB95 (http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/index.php?action=getVersionInfo&vid=49&lang=2).

Also, take a look at the NIV. Despite what some may say it is a good translation also.
Info on the NIV (http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/index.php?action=getVersionInfo&vid=31&lang=2).

But what ever translation(s) you choose, stay away from 'The message'.
'The message' is a paraphrase and takes way too many liberties IMHO.
Some claim it is a 'reading Bible' rather then a study Bible.
But the NLT is a much better 'reading Bible' then 'The message' IMHO,
And the NLT doesn't have someone-else's interpretations in it,
'The message' is full of them and the way they are presented it is confusing,
which are from man and which are from God.
So for safeties sake stay away from 'The message' and use the KJV, NASB95, NLT, other and ask God to reveal to you what He wants you to know, and He will.
That way you will know that the interpretation came directly from God and was not 'filtered by man'.

ravi4u2
Dec 1st 2007, 06:09 AM
My favorite is the RSV...meaning Ravi's Standard Version...:lol:

Nihil Obstat
Dec 1st 2007, 06:58 AM
I like the NKJV and the NASB... I've also heard a lot of good things about the NET Bible (on-line only, I think).

p.s. - what does it mean to be "danield"? ;)

markedward
Dec 1st 2007, 07:09 AM
Category 1
If I want a very literal translation, I check out the KJV and the Douay-Rheims and the Young's Literal Translation. The updside to a literal translation is that the translator relies less upon adding in their personal interpretations into the passages as much as they rely on the specific definitions and context of the passages being translated. The downside is that some verbs can cause awkward sounding sentences (Young's Literal, which translates all of the words as literalistic as possible, winds up having a lot of verbs in the present tense, such as Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning of God's preparing the heavens and the earth"). Another downside is I don't always understand certain Hebrew or Greek idioms and figures of speech. If I'm opening the books to specifically learn something, I always have at least two of these handy.

Category 2
If I want a mostly literal translation, but modified meanings for modern speech, I use the NIV and NASB. The upside is the more understanding I can get from the words than from the literalistic KJV or DR or YLT, but the downside is translators add in a bit of their personal opinion and interpretations on what a certain passage is supposed to be saying, as opposed to what it actually says. I might include the NLT in this category, but it's even more loose in its translation and relies more on biased interpretation of meanings than the NIV has. If you don't understand what I mean about the translators adding their personal interpretations, look at the final verses of Daniel 9 in this category, and compare them to translations in Category 1 (above). I usually grab one of these if I need to do a quick reference check on the location of a verse, or if I just want some easy-to-read Bible-time. If I'm doing study, I'll have a few of these on hand, along with a couple from Category 1.

Category 3
This category, in my opinion, rely the most upon personal opinion (which may not be correct), paraphrase (such as The Message, which definitely shouldn't be taken as actual Scripture), or just plain distortion (i.e., Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, Seventh Day Adventists, etc.). I highly recommend against using a Bible from this category. In my opinion, if it's not worth studying Scripture from, don't even bother reading it as if it were your just-to-read Bible. If you want to read it just to read it (i.e., not as THE Bible), that's fine, but don't use it as a substitute for your actual Bible. Personally, I don't own any of these. There's one specific Bible that I think belongs in this category; The "Recovery Version" (if it's the one I'm thinking of). It has an introduction stating that the version was made with the intent of providing the most up-to-date and accurate translation of the Bible while still being easy to read. That sounds good in theory, but this version literally includes just as many footnotes as it does Bible verses on each page (and occasionally more footnotes per page). Footnotes can be helpful, but from what I read, the footnotes were so obviously biased and dogmatic in what they said, I just can't put it in another category, because it's basically telling the reader what they're supposed to interpret, which just goes along the lines of the translators adding in too much personal bias, which, again, may include a lot of inaccurate information or intepretations.

So, my personal opinions: get at least one Bible from Category 1, at least one from Category 2, and if you get any more than that (you can easily use the internet anyway), then get your extras from Category 1 or 2, but not from 3.

Flutecrafter
Dec 1st 2007, 07:14 AM
my personal preference is for the KJV. :)

jeffreys
Dec 1st 2007, 05:26 PM
My favorite is the RSV...meaning Ravi's Standard Version...:lol:

Oh man, I see an argument coming on here!

Did you translate from the Textus Receptus, or an older Alexandrian Text? :)

danield
Dec 2nd 2007, 02:21 AM
Guys thanks for all the great info! Also markedward, that is exactly what I was looking for. I wanted to find the most exact translation possible when doing a study.I really want the most literal translation beacuse they do differ slightly at times as you mentioned in Daniel chaper 9. It looks like I am set up right though. Best of luck guys and God bless!

Dandylionheart
Dec 2nd 2007, 03:29 AM
If doin a study, stick to ole King James. They didnt know what to hide to fit there churchiousity doctrines.

amazzin
Dec 2nd 2007, 03:31 AM
Oh man, I see an argument coming on here!

Did you translate from the Textus Receptus, or an older Alexandrian Text? :)

Oh boy! Do I see a special room with your name on it bro.

:o

My heart's Desire
Dec 2nd 2007, 05:24 AM
Seems I've been here before but if not NASB for me. Seems the most literal. To me anyway and it sticks to me! :)

jeffreys
Dec 2nd 2007, 05:49 AM
Seems I've been here before but if not NASB for me. Seems the most literal. To me anyway and it sticks to me! :)
Actually, NASB is an excellent and accurate translation!

My heart's Desire
Dec 2nd 2007, 06:00 AM
Actually, NASB is an excellent and accurate translation!

I knew there had to be a reason I loved it! :D

My heart's Desire
Dec 2nd 2007, 06:03 AM
... I've also heard a lot of good things about the NET Bible (on-line only, I think).

p.s. - what does it mean to be "danield"? ;)

I have the NET Bible. You can buy it in print though they are called 1st beta, 2nd beta, but the 1st edition is also out. I was getting into it until I had to go read someone's review of it. Not nuthin bad. BTW..the notes in it are excellent! Lots of meat to chew on.

ServantofTruth
Dec 2nd 2007, 11:04 AM
I see my love for the translation i use as an idol. I know everyone knows better than i do and i wish i would just listern to them. This is humour. :cool:

TrustGzus
Dec 3rd 2007, 01:14 PM
I have a couple now. The new living translation and the king james version. Which is the best translation and why? I would love to read your opinions.The best translation is the one that clicks with you enough that you get into it every day. There are a few I would not recommend, but not many. Each has strengths. Each has weaknesses.

Isaac-Saxon
Dec 3rd 2007, 03:35 PM
The King James "Translation" is the Bible I did most of my studies in. I have read the James Moffatt Translation too and as a reading Bible or to read it as a pros I enjoy it very much.

http://hoffmanprinting.ixwebhosting.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/5/products_id/464?osCsid=f5aba66c76fe72842d64518ee1965436

PentecostalMan
Jan 18th 2008, 04:39 AM
KJV through and through... if I want to understand certain passages there are certain translations I prefer... NIV, NKJV, and AMP.

Athanasius
Jan 18th 2008, 05:05 AM
I prefer the ESV, but I have just about every translation around here.

Faithful1
Jan 18th 2008, 05:56 AM
I am a NASB type of girl... if I recall my info correctly, the NASB is considered one of the most accurate translations. However, I am a firm believer that it is important to get whichever translation works best for you. <cough NASB cough> :D

PentecostalMan
Jan 18th 2008, 06:01 AM
LOL @ Faithful1...

I agree... whichever works for you... but I just can't let go of my KJV... it's easier for me to memorize and study...

melbel816
Jan 18th 2008, 06:42 AM
Any thoughts on the New Century Version?

lildave7777
Jan 19th 2008, 04:05 PM
My two cents...

My personal favorite is the NKJV, it is a bit easier to read then the KJV and has a few of those small discrepancies taken out. It is also a rather literal translation. I've heard it argued that NASB is more literal, i had morning devotions with a dedicated NASB room mate so we read a good portion of the bible together, he in NASB and me in my NKJV. They were VERY similar, sometimes i thought that the author of the NASB just used a thesaraus to change a couple words from the NKJV :)

I think the NLT is a good tranlation....but, i found a few places where they took words in the old testement and translated them to fit their opinion of what they meant when the bible did not support their translation. this happened most with "angels" and if i remember correctly in the section with the giants and nephalim. I didn't care for that at all.... but it can be a great way to get some understanding on some of the more difficult to understand portions of scripture. I love the Apostle Paul dearly, but the man could get down right verbose...with the inspiration of the holy spirit of course :)

dave.:)

ImmenseDisciple
Jan 19th 2008, 05:05 PM
NKJV speaks to me much more than any other translation, I can't offer reason beyond that :D

Fallenbrooke
Jan 19th 2008, 05:10 PM
I have a couple now. The new living translation and the king james version. Which is the best translation and why? I would love to read your opinions.

Bible Study and general reading: ESV
Reading the Bible to friends who are unfamiliar with Scripture: The Message
Scripture memorization: KJV
Understanding difficult passages and extended study: The Amplified Version

BadDog
Jan 19th 2008, 10:43 PM
Nice combo - KJV and NLT. :P

Seriously, any translation which you actually read and pursue a relationship with God has value.

I like the HCSB. I used to prefer the NASB, but it's just too wooden. I have issues with the NIV, but I have to admit that it has the best degree of accuracy and readability (IMO).

BD

Buck shot
Jan 20th 2008, 02:16 AM
Category 1
If I want a very literal translation, I check out the KJV and the Douay-Rheims and the Young's Literal Translation.
Category 2
If I want a mostly literal translation, but modified meanings for modern speech, I use the NIV and NASB. The upside is the more understanding I can get from the words than from the literalistic KJV or DR or YLT, but the downside is translators add in a bit of their personal opinion and interpretations

Category 3
This category, in my opinion, rely the most upon personal opinion (which may not be correct), paraphrase (such as The Message, which definitely shouldn't be taken as actual Scripture),

So, my personal opinions: get at least one Bible from Category 1, at least one from Category 2, and if you get any more than that (you can easily use the internet anyway), then get your extras from Category 1 or 2, but not from 3.

Mark did a good job of explaining where I would put my $.02 also. I have many Bibles from the KJV (1611),Douay, to the NIV but I have to admit I usually use the Bibles (and commentaries) on my computer to search and study ( it's just quicker than laying a bunch of Bibles and Commentaries out)

I grew up with and always preach from the KJV. This is the version that most people carry (at the churches I preach at; Baptist and Methodist)also it makes it easier when we read at church. Less people are confused by their Bible not saying the same thing mine is.

Clifton
Jan 20th 2008, 03:49 AM
I have over 50 Bibles of different languages in my 3 Bible Software packages, but as for hard prints, I use LITV ("Literal Translation Of The Holy Bible" by Jay P. Green, Sr.), which is also included in his Interlinear I have. MKJV ("Modern King James Version") is also by Green, and I got that to use for Church Services. Another Linear I have uses KJV (1769). The Greek is on the outer edges of the pages, and the KJV Text is on the inside, with Strong's and Grammar notations (morphological codes). With the interlinears, or on the computer, I refer to the Hebrew and Greek underlying the English Translations.

For Greek, I PREFER The Byzantine-Majority Greek New Testament. Just a matter of personal preference - I still look at the other Greek New Testaments. They are in 85%+ Agreement.

Well, my 2 cents worth. Getting time for bed here in the East Coast.

groovemongrel
Jan 21st 2008, 05:30 PM
NIV and sometimes KJ just to see how different.

IBWatching
Jan 21st 2008, 06:25 PM
Any thoughts on the New Century Version?

The NCV has the best translation into English of 1 Corinthians 14...that I have seen

specks
Jan 22nd 2008, 01:55 PM
ESV, HSCB and an audio TNIV

RobbieP
Jan 22nd 2008, 02:54 PM
King James.....and NIV since so many studies I attend use that as a standard.

militarywife
Jan 22nd 2008, 02:57 PM
I like NKJ and NIV.
:)

testify2U
Jan 22nd 2008, 03:00 PM
I like The Living Bible and NLT. Just easy to understand...plain English.

usmjam
Jul 10th 2009, 06:10 PM
KJV, although not an "in your face" as marked on that poll (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=151935) :)!

-SEEKING-
Jul 10th 2009, 06:18 PM
Wow. Talk about a resurrection. The previous post was from January of last year.
Back to the OP.
I read every version I have or can get my hands on.
NIV, KJV, NKJV, NASB, Message, ESV, HCSB, NLT and coming soon Amplified.

The Mighty Sword
Jul 10th 2009, 06:22 PM
The English Version, I can't read any other language.

crawfish
Jul 10th 2009, 06:23 PM
When deeply studying scripture, I like to use many versions. NIV, ESV, KJV, NASB - sometimes one version is a lot clearer than others, but most of the time studying this way gives you a good overall view of the text.

(I even use the hated Message at times.) ;)

The Mighty Sword
Jul 10th 2009, 06:40 PM
When deeply studying scripture, I like to use many versions. NIV, ESV, KJV, NASB - sometimes one version is a lot clearer than others, but most of the time studying this way gives you a good overall view of the text.

(I even use the hated Message at times.) ;)

Have you tried the RJV?

-SEEKING-
Jul 10th 2009, 06:45 PM
Have you tried the RJV?

Which one is that?

The Mighty Sword
Jul 10th 2009, 06:47 PM
Which one is that?

RJV, The Rick James Version, I bought it at the 99, and it was missing some pages as well:lol:

-SEEKING-
Jul 10th 2009, 06:55 PM
RJV, The Rick James Version, I bought it at the 99, and it was missing some pages as well:lol:

:mad: You got me. :rofl:

crawfish
Jul 10th 2009, 07:13 PM

Heh. No, but I did consider getting the audio bible read by James Earl Jones. Nothing like King James read by Darth Vader. :D

The Mighty Sword
Jul 10th 2009, 07:17 PM
Heh. No, but I did considering getting the audio bible read by James Earl Jones. Nothing like King James read by Darth Vader. :D

I think you just topped me :monkeyd:

theBelovedDisciple
Jul 10th 2009, 07:21 PM
King James Version

Br. Barnabas
Jul 10th 2009, 08:18 PM
Category 1

Category 3
This category, in my opinion, rely the most upon personal opinion (which may not be correct), paraphrase (such as The Message, which definitely shouldn't be taken as actual Scripture), or just plain distortion (i.e., Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, Seventh Day Adventists, etc.). I highly recommend against using a Bible from this category. In my opinion, if it's not worth studying Scripture from, don't even bother reading it as if it were your just-to-read Bible. If you want to read it just to read it (i.e., not as THE Bible), that's fine, but don't use it as a substitute for your actual Bible. Personally, I don't own any of these. There's one specific Bible that I think belongs in this category; The "Recovery Version" (if it's the one I'm thinking of). It has an introduction stating that the version was made with the intent of providing the most up-to-date and accurate translation of the Bible while still being easy to read. That sounds good in theory, but this version literally includes just as many footnotes as it does Bible verses on each page (and occasionally more footnotes per page). Footnotes can be helpful, but from what I read, the footnotes were so obviously biased and dogmatic in what they said, I just can't put it in another category, because it's basically telling the reader what they're supposed to interpret, which just goes along the lines of the translators adding in too much personal bias, which, again, may include a lot of inaccurate information or intepretations.

The only problem is that The Message is not a paraphrase. Eugene Peterson, the translator, actually knows Greek and translated The Message from the Greek. He just did it in a way that flowed more than other translations. Now I am guessing that they did about the same for the Old Testament, with possibly someone else translating it.

Here is a link (http://www.messagebible.com/landing/bibles.aspx?gclid=COODvZv6y5sCFQSF7QodGhBQKw) to some of the history on The Message Bible.

lysias
Jul 10th 2009, 09:19 PM
The only problem is that The Message is not a paraphrase. Eugene Peterson, the translator, actually knows Greek and translated The Message from the Greek. He just did it in a way that flowed more than other translations. Now I am guessing that they did about the same for the Old Testament, with possibly someone else translating it.

Here is a link (http://www.messagebible.com/landing/bibles.aspx?gclid=COODvZv6y5sCFQSF7QodGhBQKw) to some of the history on The Message Bible.

Although Peterson knows Greek, The Message is definitely a paraphrase. Knowing Greek has nothing to do with methodology. It is obvious to anyone that can read the original languages that The Message passes beyond dynamic equivalence and into paraphrase, much better done but using the same methodology as The Living Bible.

Zack702
Jul 10th 2009, 09:30 PM

I am happy to find the internet bible websites. They have just about every bible there is so I often check a alternate interpretation to see what they have. Mainly I use KJV as the complete Bible. And I cross reference other bibles if I am thinking on a passage and find it open ended.

Izdaari
Jul 10th 2009, 09:51 PM
Although Peterson knows Greek, The Message is definitely a paraphrase. Knowing Greek has nothing to do with methodology. It is obvious to anyone that can read the original languages that The Message passes beyond dynamic equivalence and into paraphrase, much better done but using the same methodology as The Living Bible.
Though Peterson's knowledge of Greek is very good, and he is qualified to do a real translation, he himself calls it a paraphrase. Peterson himself knows better than anyone else what he intended. I love The Message, but I love it as a paraphrase, with all the advantages and limitations thereof.

Houston Heather
Jul 10th 2009, 10:11 PM
The best version is the one you read on a regular basis!

I have several versions of the Bible, an NIV/KJV parallel, a small NKJV, a "God's Word" paraphrase NT that rides around with the NJKV, my grandmother's Scofield, a battered TEV I was given at age 8, an NIV daily Bible, and the ones I hand out (NLV for non-spanish immigrants, NKJV for English-speakers, ESV New Tesamants for English speakers, and some Spanish Bibles I also hand out - RV)

All I need is one, but I can learn something from the various editions. One of my ESV's was damaged, so I keep that on my bedside table. I study that daily, along with the NIV, a KJV, and the NKJV. I try to charge my battery as much as possible! I forgot my Living Bible daily readings, which I also do.

My favorite go-to Bibles are the NKJV and the ESV. I can get the ESV for 50 cents (NT) at my local Christian bookstore, and the NKJV for $1... I hand a lot of them out, but I really enjoy the format... it's a Bible I'd LOVE to get.

Some days, the lithium I take for my bipolar disorder makes me disoriented... knocks a couple dozen points off my IQ. It works, but sometimes I just don't have the mental capacity to read a NKJV or KJV. It's then I reach for my God's Word, TEV, or "Living Bible" daily reader. That, I can assimilate!

On better days, I like to use my read the Bible in a year plan and read the same chapter in a few different versions.

Spending time in the Word can only work for good! I don't think the version matters so much (as long as you stay away from "Our version of the Bible" culty-things), as the time spent reading it.

I'd rather hear a family member was spending half an hour a day reading The Message, than 10 minutes a month reading KJV.

My personal favorite Bible is the NKJV/God's Word duo I carry around at all times. When I'm having a really bad day for depression, I'll even sleep with it.

nzyr
Jul 10th 2009, 11:31 PM
My favorite is the King James version. I also own a Good news, the RSV, Saint Joseph text book edition, and a Jerusalem bible. I also have Strong's exhaustive concordance. I love getting books and trying to find out what the original words were in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek.

Toymom
Jul 11th 2009, 04:24 AM
The best version is the one you read on a regular basis!

:agree:
There is no one perfect translation of the Bible and it is best to find one you can read and understand. It is also good to have several different versions for comparrison and to help you understand. I like to use this online site http://www.biblegateway.com/
where you can compare the same verse in different translations and also this site http://www.blueletterbible.org/ which includes an easy to use concordance - just put in the verse and click on the box with a "c" next to it.