PDA

View Full Version : How does a person come to Christ?

Bunyan's Pilgrim
Dec 1st 2007, 02:54 AM
How does a person come to Christ?

foxglove
Dec 2nd 2007, 04:08 AM
I voted for...

The Holy Spirit does everything He can, but it is entirely up to man whether or not he will come.

I believe in free will. I don't believe people are compelled or forced to believe, basically. It's not something automatic, like a timer that goes off within us when it's time to seek out salvation. It is something people can be encouraged to do by many different sources and from many different angles, but ultimately, individual decision.

Slug1
Dec 2nd 2007, 04:10 AM
I can't vote, none of the choices match what I feel is the answer to the question :P

RoadWarrior
Dec 2nd 2007, 04:28 AM
I can't vote, none of the choices match what I feel is the answer to the question :P

I agree with Slug.

Frances
Dec 2nd 2007, 04:21 PM
How does a person come to Christ?.......... (((I didn't vote either)

The Holy Spirit confronts them with their need of Salvation. When they have learned the facts - that God hates their Sin, as it separates them
from Him, so He came to earth as Jesus Christ to pay their penalty for their Sin on the Cross - if they repent of (turn away from) all Sin, trusting Jesus Christ to have paid their penalty for their Sin on the Cross, enabling them to receive God's Forgiveness, and trusting that as He Rose from the dead they will be able to also rise to New Life with Him, and be fillled with His Holy Spirit, enabling them to live to glorify God in all they do. . .

RoadWarrior
Dec 2nd 2007, 04:39 PM

Ro 10:9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame." 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. 13 For "whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved."

14 How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written:
"How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace,
Who bring glad tidings of good things!"
16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, "Lord, who has believed our report?" 17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
NKJV

Based on these words, a person needs to hear the gospel (hence the need for preaching and witnessing to unbelievers); having heard, the person needs to believe that it is true. This is internal belief, not just lip service. Then the person needs to say it out loud, and call on the Lord. The final step is to obey it.

Hear
Believe
Confess (call on the Lord)
Obey

Quickened
Dec 3rd 2007, 02:24 AM
I voted the last one. Its how i was saved. I wasnt seeking God at the time. He came to me. He quickened me and after coming to an understanding i was saved.

Its like being in a burning building and you are 100% sure you are trapped until someone shows you the way out. At that point it would be completely insane not you chose the method that would wind up saving you unless you were suicidal.

Same here. After fully understanding my wretched state i immediately dropped to my knees in tears and prayer. The Holy Spirit imparts both the wisdom and understanding. Christ provides the way. I am nothing without Him

Whispering Grace
Dec 7th 2007, 09:10 PM
I take issue with answer #3....that the Holy Spirit does "everything He can" (this is an omnipotent God, mind you), yet He can't save us. That is a contradiction and makes no sense. Who holds the power in salvation, us or God?

MicheleJ
Dec 13th 2007, 10:57 PM
The Holy Spirit does everything He can, but it is entirely up to man whether or not he will come.

It's called "free will".

JordanW
May 17th 2008, 08:32 AM
The Holy Spirit does it's best.

daughter
May 17th 2008, 10:27 AM
But sometimes His best is not good enough?

alethos
May 17th 2008, 12:19 PM

It is not possible for a person to come to Christ unless He first is drawn by the Father.

John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father that sent me draw him: and I will raise him up in the last day.

9Marksfan
May 17th 2008, 01:20 PM
The Holy Spirit does it's best.

First of all, the HS is not "it" - He is the Third Person of the Trinity! Such a statement makes man more powerful than he HS! The last one is my experience and - more importantly - biblical and therefore the truth.

daughter
May 17th 2008, 02:37 PM
I based my answer on my own experience. Others may be different.

Before I was Christian I was perfectly content, and never under any circumstances was I going to become one of them loony bible bashers. I utterly despised Christianity, and had reworked Christ in my own imagination to fit in with what I wanted Him to be... a good man of similar political persuasion to myself!

When I became Christian it was like an explosion in my life, I couldn't escape the fall out. I remember a few weeks after becoming Christian, I'd been sitting reading my Bible. I sat there looking out the window, watching the birds, hearing the neighbour kids playing... and I thought, "I wish I could go back, why did this have to happen to me? I know I was going to hell... but this is too much for me. I never wanted to be a Christian, and now here it is, and I've got to give everything to Him... it's all His anyway. I wish I could go back to the world I knew."

Honestly, that is how I felt. (I don't anymore.) I remember feeling guilty for feeling that way, but also scared that things would never be the same again.

It's hard to explain it, but I do believe that I was called and had no choice but to obey. Maybe other people are less depraved than me and don't need as serious a kick in the butt, I don't know.

But I do know that the Holy Spirit (a HE by the way, a person of God) took me, and shook me, and put me down in a very different place from the path I'd been wandering along. So although I'd like to believe in free will, in my own case, I can't really see it.

ARCHER42
May 18th 2008, 11:53 PM
It is not possible for a person to come to Christ unless He first is drawn by the Father.

John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father that sent me draw him: and I will raise him up in the last day.
---------------------------------------------------------
Exactly! Bullseye!

God the Father thru the Holy Ghost has to draw that person in...to Jesus the Christ... The revelation of His Goodness will bring you to your knees in repentance. You can't force somebody into 'salvation' by saying a small prayer.

very simple.. When a person is 'born again of the Spirit' it's God who authors or starts it and He finishes it.

I did vote for the last one.....

He drew me in, revealed Himself to me and He saved me... thru the revelation of His goodness which He bestowed in my life even though I had not deserved it. That's when I realized my own wretchedness and was broken-hearted for my ungodly and sinful lifestyle.. that's when He came in and stayed!

BadDog
May 21st 2008, 12:34 AM
In polls like this, it's best to have an "other" category. I hold to the necessity of the Spirit in drawing us to Him, and I selected the 3rd option. But I hold to election and free will at the same time. I suspect many others do as well.

Nice idea for a poll.

BD

Revinius
May 29th 2008, 03:31 PM
It's the catch 22 of the faith that: to know the Lord he has to reveal Himself to you, yet one cannot do so unwillingly....but....when he does reveal Himself, its impossibly not to be willing.

BadDog
May 31st 2008, 01:48 AM
It's the catch 22 of the faith that: to know the Lord he has to reveal Himself to you, yet one cannot do so unwillingly....but....when he does reveal Himself, its impossibly not to be willing.
Well, that's the Reformed position... and it is a catch 22. But there are other positions, including the Arminian position, in which we cooperate with the Spirit.

IMO we cannot come to Christ unless the Spirit draws us, but it is not irresistible - we have a choice and the ability to choose.

BD

Revinius
May 31st 2008, 04:26 AM
But the sovereignty of God dictates election, when his true nature is revealed you cant help but want it.

Arminianism is a heresy imho, but whatever you wish to believe is up to you.

BadDog
May 31st 2008, 06:04 PM
But the sovereignty of God dictates election, when his true nature is revealed you cant help but want it.

Arminianism is a heresy imho, but whatever you wish to believe is up to you.
I am not Arminian, FWIW. I hold to eternal security and election. (Not just corporate election, but individual - God choosing us.)

I also agree completely with free will. There is no conflict with our choosing God - cooperation. Many people hold to election and free will at the same time, FYI.

Many who are Reformed tend to think that if you do not hold to at least 4 of the 5 points of the TULIP you are Arminian. :P That is far from true. You need to hold to the 5 Remonstrances, and I don't agree with a couple of them, just as I do not accept all 5 of the TULIP points.

The only way I could not help but want God's salvation is if I have already been regenerated, and even then we rebel. We then get into the ordo salutis (order of salvation), to which I hold an Arminian stance. (We trust in Christ first, which results [logically] in our justification & regeneration.)

As I see it, God does truly choose me, and if He did not, I would not, could not come to Him. He draws me to Himself through the work of the Spirit. (John 6:44, 45 in context, and John 16:8-11) Unless the Spirit drew me I would not seek Him. But the Spirit does draw me, and I can respond. John 6 does not say that I WILL respond but that I will NOT respond unless the Father draws me to the Son. I still have a choice. I can resist the work of the Spirit in wooing me. That is where my view of election differs from the Calvinistic view - it is not "irresistible."

Thx,

BD

Revinius
Jun 1st 2008, 04:34 AM
The only way I could not help but want God's salvation is if I have already been regenerated, and even then we rebel.

I dont think thats the case, there is a minute apart of us that is made for worship and has the law written in our hearts (even if we wilfully choose to go against it). When that object of which we were made for worship appears we cannot help but be in awe of it. Just like on the last day when EVERY knee will bow, all will acknowledge the authority of the Lord regardless of whether they have accepted His sons sacrifice.