PDA

View Full Version : falling away

wonderwhatmynameis
Dec 1st 2007, 04:48 AM
Hello everyone,

This is my first time here and have done some reading, I feel this is a good place to ask about some things I have been feeling.

First off, a little background:

I was mostly agnostic/atheistic while growing up, typical church traditions pushed me away from Christianity as a child. I was confused about the difference between Christ and religions.
When I was about 21 (I am now 24), I accepted Christ and was led to a church that helped me to read God's Word with understanding. As I grew in knowledge I found myself able to fellowship with other students and eventually became more aware of everyone's different interpretations of the Word, even among people of the same church.
This has come to bother me very much. It seems that God would have a reason for all these different beliefs, a reason that I can't comprehend. It seems as though everyone in this world is going to be wrong about a lot of things God has told us in the bible. I know that the scripture says "study to show thyself approved" but i feel now that studying extensively gets you no where. I know that if I ask the Lord for help in understanding that He will give it to me. But i still won't be able to forget the many other people who are more learned and scholarly in the Bible that all have different beliefs than mine.

I know that I still have room to grow, but I've lost the desire to study. This has made me feel guilty even though I still pray, depend, and have faith in the Lord. I still try to live as Christ would want me to and I refuse to turn my back on Him again.

Maybe I'm being too hard on myself. Maybe it's ok to take this long of break? Maybe I just need to be patient and I'll come around eventually.

Any advice or scripture would help. Thanks for listening.

In Christ,
JO

ravi4u2
Dec 1st 2007, 06:00 AM
This is a faithful saying: For if we died with Him, We shall also live with Him. We shall also reign with If we endure, Him. If we deny Him, He also will deny us. If we are faithless, He remains faithful; He cannot deny Himself.

Remind yourself that you need not strive about words of no profit, which undermines your faith. Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

The secret is in the living, not in the doing. Let your life be one of flavvor and fragrance unto the Lord.

coldfire136
Dec 1st 2007, 08:06 PM
Hi wonder,
Thanks for joining the forums. I do not have a lot of answers for you. But I can tell you this: A lot of people read the Bible and have no idea what it means. If one understands the Bible, he will do what it says. In other words, Jesus says help the poor, so you should be with the poor. Studying the word helps us to understand the context it was written, and it can help us if we are where our forefathers have come from, and it can give inspiration, but if you are not living it, no amount of study will help.

Just out of curiosity, what are some of the issues people within your church disagree on?

ServantofTruth
Dec 1st 2007, 08:11 PM
I think you are seeing what 'maturity' means by what it doesn't mean! Years of study? Being a christian for 40 or 50 years or a life time? How would you decribe it? If a person has studied Greek and can translate from the original? Their position in the church or denomination?
Is not maturity reflecting Christs love? Take the whole of scripture, all our study and condense it down - (1) Love the lord your God & (2) Love your neighbour as yourself.
Look at the person telling you what it means. Does what they say, sound like what you think it means reading it yourself? This is very easy with the New Testament, gospels, parables especially. In love judge them, in the sense are they living in Christ's love? This is not to question whether they are saved or love God. What is their motive for disagreeing with you? Are they just repeating some training they've had, or doing individual thinking?
I have heard sermons destroying simple parables that Jesus told to the 'common' people to explain complex spiritual truths. The whole point was Jesus made them understanderble to EVERYONE! What's to explain, after Jesus speaks! The widow's mite, the sower and the seed etc.
I'd trust your understanding on the gospels, which is not to say you can't enter study or read books - rather you have a basis, foundation and can add what the spirit tells you is correct. The Old Testament in places is much harder and takes more time. Perhaps when you learn to trust someone on the New you could ask for deaper advice on the Old.
Remember even when we differ with our brothers & sisters, we are to love.

coldfire136
Dec 1st 2007, 08:15 PM
I have heard sermons destroying simple parables that Jesus told to the 'common' people to explain complex spiritual truths. The whole point was Jesus made them understanderble to EVERYONE! What's to explain, after Jesus speaks! The widow's mite, the sower and the seed etc.

Actually, the Bible that you read says that Jesus spoke in parables so that the people would not understand (Matthew 13:13).

Maverick57
Dec 2nd 2007, 10:29 AM
Actually, the Bible that you read says that Jesus spoke in parables so that the people would not understand (Matthew 13:13).

Ah, not to argue with you, but doesnt he also say, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear." (Mark 4:9)

ravi4u2
Dec 2nd 2007, 06:03 PM
Ah, not to argue with you, but doesnt he also say, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear." (Mark 4:9)God said, “Go, and tell this people: ‘ Keep on hearing, but do not understand; Keep on seeing, but do not perceive.’ “ Make the heart of this people dull, And their ears heavy, And shut their eyes; Lest they see with their eyes, And hear with their ears, And understand with their heart, And return and be healed.”

ServantofTruth
Dec 2nd 2007, 09:22 PM
wounderwhatmynameis - i've come to this topic to help you. I have no intention of arguing silly points with people who should know better and getting right off your topic. When you return, i'd love to post again. Have a great week and keep up your study and prayer. God bless.

Partaker of Christ
Dec 3rd 2007, 12:44 AM
Hello everyone,

This is my first time here and have done some reading, I feel this is a good place to ask about some things I have been feeling.

First off, a little background:

I was mostly agnostic/atheistic while growing up, typical church traditions pushed me away from Christianity as a child. I was confused about the difference between Christ and religions.
When I was about 21 (I am now 24), I accepted Christ and was led to a church that helped me to read God's Word with understanding. As I grew in knowledge I found myself able to fellowship with other students and eventually became more aware of everyone's different interpretations of the Word, even among people of the same church.
This has come to bother me very much. It seems that God would have a reason for all these different beliefs, a reason that I can't comprehend. It seems as though everyone in this world is going to be wrong about a lot of things God has told us in the bible. I know that the scripture says "study to show thyself approved" but i feel now that studying extensively gets you no where. I know that if I ask the Lord for help in understanding that He will give it to me. But i still won't be able to forget the many other people who are more learned and scholarly in the Bible that all have different beliefs than mine.

I know that I still have room to grow, but I've lost the desire to study. This has made me feel guilty even though I still pray, depend, and have faith in the Lord. I still try to live as Christ would want me to and I refuse to turn my back on Him again.

Maybe I'm being too hard on myself. Maybe it's ok to take this long of break? Maybe I just need to be patient and I'll come around eventually.

Any advice or scripture would help. Thanks for listening.

In Christ,
JO

Hi Jo!

Yes, it is sometimes good to take a break from study.
We need time to digest the food.

I think that sometimes through too much study, we can become to highminded.
It is not so much about how quick we grow, but how rooted we are.
Christians can grow to quick, but the roots don't go very far down. We need to be grounded and rooted. A tree with deep roots will stand firm in the storms of life.

Jesusinmyheart
Dec 4th 2007, 05:04 PM
Wondering....

I know that there are people much more scholary and learned about scripture, but you know something? Only what you learn and how God guides you while you read the scriptures yourself really matters. What other people believe or understand doesn't matter, because only what God shows you matters. Focusing on the belief of others and seeing their different stances only leads to confusion. I used to wonder the same thing, til one day i said well, who is right, and how am i supposed to know? So i studied the Word for myself, and i kept at it, and a picture began to emerge, and now i know.
Now all i care about is having the truth. It's so freeing to be able to discern when someone teaches truth as opposed to something wrong. And believe it or not, even some very learned and scholarly people get it wrong.

This is why it's so very important to read and study the scriptures for yourself, so you can stand in the day that evil/antichrist comes and it won't overtake you.

Shalom,
Tanja

wonderwhatmynameis
Dec 7th 2007, 05:31 PM
Thanks everyone for all your replies. You've given me some things to think about.

Let me answer some questions i recieved.

Coldfire asked: "Just out of curiosity, what are some of the issues people within your church disagree on?"

I'm not too concerned about the different beliefs in the church I attend, but more so the entire Church of Christ. It's all the same wherever you go. Rapture (pre-trib, mid-trib, post-trib) vs. no rapture. Once saved always saved? You know what I'm talking about.
Here's an example of part of my problem:
Let's say Bob believes in the rapture and John doesn't. However, they are both good Christian men, equally educated and both seek knowledge from the Lord. Yet they have been led to believe differently. Perhaps belief or unbelief of a rapture has no effect on your eternal soul, perhaps it does. I guess the Lord's reasoning behind this is uncomprehendible to man. At least to me. It may just be one of those things I need to accept and move on.

ServantofTruth,
I don't think maturity is summed up by time or education. Maturity comes from the Lord, I'll let Him be judge on how mature someone is or isn't. I'm not really speaking out of intimadation of my "elders" or out of pride of my own knowledge. I was speaking matter-of-factly. There are definitely different levels of maturity. I trust no man or his teachings. I listen and check it out in God's Word. That's the only way to do it. Now that i think of it, maybe I'm having trouble trusting myself? Thanks Servant.

Thanks again to all of you who took the time to reply.

God Bless,

Jo

Marcat1702003
Dec 7th 2007, 07:39 PM
[quote=wonderwhatmynameis;1464315]

I'm not too concerned about the different beliefs in the church I attend, but more so the entire Church of Christ. It's all the same wherever you go. Rapture (pre-trib, mid-trib, post-trib) vs. no rapture. Once saved always saved? You know what I'm talking about.
/quote]

Wonder, I thank you for starting this thread. I do know what you are talking about. At times these forever-after arguments keep me out of the forum as I don't like to participate in bashing my brothers and sisters about those topics which cause raging arguments.

I pray and study a lot, and for an issue that arises I go back and study again. Then I pray that the Lord will grant me understanding according to His most wonderful Spirit. I feel that many of the "arguments" cause confusion and chaos and God forbid those arguments cause a baby christian to fall away.

I have a mental picture in my mind of all the "saints" arriving in heaven to find everyone holding a bag full of puzzle pieces. Some of the pieces won't be for the same puzzle. Everyone will have some that fit (and a whole bunch that don't fit) but the only one with all the right pieces will be Jesus.

My best advice is just love them; never beat up anyone with your Bible.