PDA

View Full Version : Weight, alcohol, smoking, ilegal drugs etc

ServantofTruth
Dec 1st 2007, 10:19 AM
I didn't know this healthy section existed. I can never understand why christians want to argue over obvious abuses of our bodies like smoking, drinkinking alcohol, being fat and ilegal drugs (breaking the law in this last case). Remember the 'Will there be fat people in heaven' topic.
I am far from perfect, sin every day in thought, word and deed - but as saved and forgiven and continue to try to improve myself.
Why do so many christians not buck up their ideas and lose weight, stop smoking and drinking too much, and stop breaking the law. I know from experience this topic is a non starter and all i'll get is smoking is fine, i like to have a regular drink, what's wrong with the odd joint - it saddens me a lot! Be healthy in body and mind.:pp

Toolman
Dec 3rd 2007, 03:01 PM
Actually, a moderate amount of alcohol can be a healthy thing, as well as a spiritual thing (communion). Its the abuse of alcohol that is a problem.

Some prescription drugs are more lethal and addictive than some illegal drugs, so we need to be wise as serpants and harmless as doves there. God gave drugs for our benefit, we need to be keenly aware of their addictive properties and only use them sparingly for illness when called for.

As far as being overweight, I completely agree. Nothing positive about being overweight and self-control and discipline are the keys there.

A Christian is at liberty to use tobacco but should be well aware of the dangers that lie there. If they decide to partake we must, because of liberty, allow them to do so without judgement.

Those are my thoughts :)

Otter77
Dec 3rd 2007, 05:55 PM
I didn't know this healthy section existed. I can never understand why christians want to argue over obvious abuses of our bodies like smoking, drinkinking alcohol, being fat and ilegal drugs (breaking the law in this last case). Remember the 'Will there be fat people in heaven' topic.
I am far from perfect, sin every day in thought, word and deed - but as saved and forgiven and continue to try to improve myself.
Why do so many christians not buck up their ideas and lose weight, stop smoking and drinking too much, and stop breaking the law. I know from experience this topic is a non starter and all i'll get is smoking is fine, i like to have a regular drink, what's wrong with the odd joint - it saddens me a lot! Be healthy in body and mind.:pp

My pastor would tell you -- such things as occasional drinking, smoking, etc... are "ok" as long as they don't interfere in any way in your relationship with God. When they become more important than God or something to which you are in bondage -- therein lies the spiritual issue.

I definitely agree with him on this but I personally think we should extend that more into your argument.... that this IS also an issue of stewardship. God gave us these bodies as gifts, it's our job to be good stewards to our bodies. I have the gift of being a moderately healthy man of 6'3" and 260lbs without any significant or major health issues.... God didn't give me this gift so that I can destroy it with irresponsibility, laziness, and wastefulness. There are people in wheelchairs who try harder than I do. I need to try MUCH harder - we all do.

:)

Follow_Me_Infantry
Dec 6th 2007, 04:33 PM
There are people in wheelchairs who try harder than I do. I need to try MUCH harder - we all do.

QFT!

Amen, my brother. It's amazing how we'll do less with more almost every single time, isn't it?

I am SO under conviction of this. I'm not fat by ANY means (5' 11", 165), but I smoke like a chimney and drink like a fish. I don't use illegal drugs, but the VA gave me Percoset coming out of my ears (I quit those), and I would constantly take more than REALLY needed for just the pain.

UGH, I so wish I could smoking.

Otter77
Dec 6th 2007, 04:50 PM
QFT!

Amen, my brother. It's amazing how we'll do less with more almost every single time, isn't it?

I am SO under conviction of this. I'm not fat by ANY means (5' 11", 165), but I smoke like a chimney and drink like a fish. I don't use illegal drugs, but the VA gave me Percoset coming out of my ears (I quit those), and I would constantly take more than REALLY needed for just the pain.

ouch... the truth hurts doesn't it? The good thing about the truth is that letting it out in the open sets us free!!

The truth is - I need to lay off the cookies and lay ON the exercise!!

slightly off-topic warning about Percoset, Vicodin, etc... -- you touched on this a little but this is actually a very close-to-my-heart topic. I don't miss a single opportunity to bring this up.

Rx painkillers ARE destructively addictive... I don't care what anyone says or how "strong" you think you are to resist temptation. Many people know this and I know it extremely well:

I watched one of my best friends in life go from high school straight into the Army at 18 full of hope and spirit... he hurt his shoulder badly at 20 and was eventually discharged... after corrective surgery, etc... he later went to work for UPS and hurt his shoulder *again*... after 2 more surgeries he was supposedly "repaired" but his pride was gone, he had no faith in God (nor did I at the time!), and over the course of 3 years he'd grown fully dependent on painkillers. One thing after another took him into depression and I finally convinced him to move to Colorado to hang out with me. 6 months after moving here he had a decent job, a sweet girlfriend that matched his personality, a new car... I thought life was good for Michael. I knew though that he still had his habit as he told me occasionally about his "stache" and offered things up to me, etc.... neither of us were very good people at the time.... I was 23 and Michael was 24.

One night we had dinner... my wife, Michael, his girlfriend, and I... everything was great. I followed him outside to have a smoke and man/man friend talk when he volunteered to me that not everything was so great with his girlfriend.... he wasn't much of a talker (Classic Army man) but we discussed it as much as we could. I left thinking he was still a pretty happy guy compared to how things were before.

The next day at work I had a phone call from his girlfriend. Between sobs and cries I learned that Michel had loaded-up on whiskey and vicodin and taken himself in the head with his proud .38 revolver in an game of roulette while taunting his girlfriend and her friend later that same night.

This is the guy who I told everything to... because he was the only person at that time in my life who I knew would never judge me for any of my mistakes. I didn't have God in my life. We were both "f* ups" and reveled in our similarity to this degree.

-----

The point of the message is: Rx painkillers are tools to be used with discretion and great care. Don't dismiss them because there are times when you WILL truly need them... but be mindful always of their potential for evil. It was DEFINITELY a strong contributing factor in his death. None of us "men" are strong enough to conquer and handle such potent tools as this without God's help.

Think of it this way... a bottle of Vicodin, Percoset, or anything similar.... just as powerful as a loaded gun!

Semi-tortured
Dec 6th 2007, 04:51 PM
QFT!

We all have our addictions brother. I worry more about the drinking like a fish comment though. I am not an anti alcohol person by ANY stretch. I drink about 5-6 drinks a week. But I never get drunk. If you want to quit smoking, I suggest trying the nicotine patches. I have heard from others they work well. Maybe carry some lolly pops around for the oral fixation. I knew a guy who used Nicorette and Dum-Dums to quit.

Follow_Me_Infantry
Dec 6th 2007, 05:22 PM
Umm, I didn't want to hijack this thread, lol.

But yes, just speaking it aloud (typing, whatever) is a way to open your heart for the Holy Spirit to begin wringing those issues out. I'm a very open person in some things, and I refuse to talk about others - I consider the latter the weakness, not the former... at least not with Christian friends.

Otter, I am so very sorry about your friend :cry: Even without the story, you'll get no argument from me. I was on Vicoden and then Percoset for some time, and I would go nutso running out before my refill. I was addicted. When I was taking them, my mood shifted so violently and suddenly that it would often wake me up. I'd wake up madder than a wet hen, all but swinging fists. Other times, I'd wake up crying. Still others, I'd have so much vibrancy that I couldn't hold still. To combat these moods, I took more pills.

It's scary stuff, man. I have ZERO doubt that abusing those was a part of why Camy left me. Hell, I couldn't live with myself.

And coming off those things was miserable. When I finally put my foot down and said no more, which really wasn't long ago at all, it jacked me UP, brother. Rx drugs are bad ju-ju, at least for me. I told the VA I wanted nothing more and now I just use Advil and Alleve to keep the sharp pains in check. Of course, I wash them down with beer :rofl:

Hey, I never claimed to be the brightest bulb in the box.

Toolman
Dec 6th 2007, 05:52 PM

There are lots of roads to quit smoking FMI, the best of course being cold turkey, which I would strongly suggest along with prayer.

But, other alternatives are using the patch and some type of oral replacement (sucker, lifesavers, etc.) or a light smokeless tobacco (1000 X less risk than cigarette smoking, but proceed with caution nonetheless). Even if you can't completely quit smoking, you could at least cut your habit WAY down, thereby decreasing your risk.

As far as your drinking, the only answer there is either moderation or abstinence. If moderation is not possible then cold turkey is the only option.

Otter77
Dec 6th 2007, 05:53 PM
Umm, I didn't want to hijack this thread, lol.

But yes, just speaking it aloud (typing, whatever) is a way to open your heart for the Holy Spirit to begin wringing those issues out. I'm a very open person in some things, and I refuse to talk about others - I consider the latter the weakness, not the former... at least not with Christian friends.

Otter, I am so very sorry about your friend :cry: Even without the story, you'll get no argument from me. I was on Vicoden and then Percoset for some time, and I would go nutso running out before my refill. I was addicted. When I was taking them, my mood shifted so violently and suddenly that it would often wake me up. I'd wake up madder than a wet hen, all but swinging fists. Other times, I'd wake up crying. Still others, I'd have so much vibrancy that I couldn't hold still. To combat these moods, I took more pills.

It's scary stuff, man. I have ZERO doubt that abusing those was a part of why Camy left me. Hell, I couldn't live with myself.

And coming off those things was miserable. When I finally put my foot down and said no more, which really wasn't long ago at all, it jacked me UP, brother. Rx drugs are bad ju-ju, at least for me. I told the VA I wanted nothing more and now I just use Advil and Alleve to keep the sharp pains in check. Of course, I wash them down with beer :rofl:

Hey, I never claimed to be the brightest bulb in the box.

LMAO... well... you know what they say about infantry guys.

JUST KIDDING!!! Just kidding man... totally.... We're all weak and tragically flawed, that's why we need God so badly.

I intend to use Michael's story to teach as many people as I can in my life about the dangers of this. He wasn't stupid... he wasn't "slow"... he was gifted. He was smarter than I am in a lot of ways. That could have EASILY been my story had I actually going in to the Marine Corps. at the same time that Michael took Army as I had originally planned to do! It seems like sometimes the smartest people are the MOST susceptible to things like this because of the pride and confidence their intelligence gives them... they're not accustomed to asking for help... even from God.

Speaking of "smart" and "military" jokes... one of my other old buddies that DID end up in the "corps" working in the "Military Intelligence" group will joke constantly about what an irony that name is. He now does basically the same things I do with computers. ;)

Semi-tortured
Dec 6th 2007, 06:44 PM
There are lots of roads to quit smoking FMI, the best of course being cold turkey, which I would strongly suggest along with prayer.

But, other alternatives are using the patch and some type of oral replacement (sucker, lifesavers, etc.) or a light smokeless tobacco (1000 X less risk than cigarette smoking, but proceed with caution nonetheless). Even if you can't completely quit smoking, you could at least cut your habit WAY down, thereby decreasing your risk.

As far as your drinking, the only answer there is either moderation or abstinence. If moderation is not possible then cold turkey is the only option.

To be honest though, the thing I've seen that causes smokers to quit fastest (other than a Mom getting pregnant) is a good woman who finds the habit disgusting. If you can't get a good night kiss because the girl you like thinks your mouth smells like an ash tray, you quit faster than the French in WWII. ( <-----Am I going to get in trouble for that? :D)

Otter77
Dec 6th 2007, 07:29 PM
To be honest though, the thing I've seen that causes smokers to quit fastest (other than a Mom getting pregnant) is a good woman who finds the habit disgusting. If you can't get a good night kiss because the girl you like thinks your mouth smells like an ash tray, you quit faster than the French in WWII. ( <-----Am I going to get in trouble for that? :D)

That's it!

Take a le nap and then when you get up... FIRE ZE MISS-ASILES!

(anyone know what I'm referring to? sorry... I couldn't help it... it's like my favorite viral flash movie of all time from YEARS ago...)

for a funny reference:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/end

CAUTION -- contains a fair amount of colorful language!

This was made probably 8+ years ago that I can remember...... easily one of the first great nonsense flash movies. This even pre-dates Charlie and Candy Mountain.

frankbenji
Feb 26th 2008, 05:32 AM
To be honest I am chain smoker and unable to control previously,but now i have quitted completely.Thanks for quit smoking (http://www.beststopsmokingsupport.com/stop-smoking-course/) community.

JIML
Feb 26th 2008, 06:15 AM
Read a really cool short story by Stephen King, its called "Quitters, Inc." its in the collection of short stories called "Night Shift". Anyway, the story starts with one guy meeting his buddy who tells him that there is a really good corporation that helps people quit smoking. So the guy goes over there, and they tell him that by walking in he has already singed up. Anyway the catch is that the corporation will be spying on him and if he smokes once, they'll beat up his wife... if he smokes twice they'll beat up his son and so on. Pick it up if you have some free time on your hands, one of my favorite short stories for sure.

Nothing
Dec 1st 2008, 07:44 PM
ServantofTruth have you ever been fat, smoked regularly, or drank?

Jamesmason1984
Dec 4th 2008, 05:07 PM
My pastor would tell you -- such things as occasional drinking, smoking, etc... are "ok" as long as they don't interfere in any way in your relationship with God.

Really, I never knew that, But smoking harms your temple, and so does drinking.....

RANGER65
Dec 4th 2008, 05:17 PM
As a pastor I advise my congregation to do whatever they would share with Jesus if he were there with you. Well? Break it out, Jesus is coming over.

RANGER65
Dec 4th 2008, 05:22 PM
The temple approach is not good doctine. Jesus said it is not what goes into a man that defiles him, but that which comes out. I would say drinking and smoking comes from a heart condition. A heart that refuses to surrender condition. Those who are led by the spirit are the sons of God. A new creature does not have a drug addiction...it is passed away with the old.

RANGER65
Dec 4th 2008, 05:32 PM
Ruck up troop!!! With Christ all things are possible. Lay those smokes down and tell the devil that greater is he who is in me than he who is in the world. I smoked 2 packs of reds a day in the army an when I got saved "I got saved" from all of it. ou are a new creature and you need o start telling yourself and everyone around you especially the devil that you don't smoke. Don't throw them away because that is running from it. Put the in the drawer in the kitchen and everytime you are tempted go look at them and tell the devil out loud that you have been delivered from smoking by the Lord and he is a liar.
If the oly spirit is grater than he that is in the world he certainly can overcome the Phillip morris Company. Right?