PDA

View Full Version : The bow of the Lord

Brother Mark
Dec 4th 2007, 01:44 AM
Ps 18:30-34

30 As for God, His way is blameless;
The word of the Lord is tried;
He is a shield to all who take refuge in Him.
31 For who is God, but the Lord?
And who is a rock, except our God,
32 The God who girds me with strength
And makes my way blameless?
33 He makes my feet like hinds' feet,
And sets me upon my high places.
34 He trains my hands for battle,
So that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
NASU

So what are the arrows that we will shoot in this bow? What is it that God is teaching us here?

I have some digging to do but perhaps someone on here knows what kind of spiritual weapon might be shot from the bow David is referring to.

Thanks!

Mark

dhtraveler
Dec 4th 2007, 02:06 AM
I had no answer of my own on this, so I searched online. Here is something I found @ http://davidketter.wordpress.com/2003/02/

“He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze.”
Psalm 18:34
This verse, memorialized by the work of Elizabeth George Spears in her book “The Bronze Bow”, is one of those portions of Scripture that pretty much goes unnoticed. Yet, what was the Psalmist David referring to when he wrote this? Physical strength, or was it something else?
Everyone knows the story of how David killed Goliath the giant. Some also know of David’s wars while he was king of Israel. In conclusion, David was a 100% warrior. So, it would be natural for a great soldier like David to be talking about physical strength. However, as can be seen and proven, he wasn’t.
Did you ever try to bend metal that was at least a half-inch thick? Some of you might think, “Why even bother. I know I can’t do it.” A plastic bow can be broken easily enough, but how could one man bend one made of bronze? There is only one human that would come to mind as far as physical strength goes, Samson. While he could probably bend it, he was past history during David’s lifetime and no one expected anyone like him would show up again. Thus, a bronze bow would be near impossible, if not completely impossible, to bend.
Now that we have established that the Psalmist wasn’t talking about physical strength, we have to find out what God, through David, was referring to. As Christians, we face the hordes and wiles of Satan every day. We battle not only for the defense of our own souls, but also those of the lost lambs that the Shepherd is chasing after.
Therefore, the battle is in the heart. Ephesians 6:14-17 (http://www.readthebible.com/Bible.asp?REF=Ephesians+6%3A14-17&x=10&y=12) lists the “full armor of God” that we cannot battle without. Not only are we clothed in armor but we are also nourished by the living Bread of Life (http://www.readthebible.com/Bible.asp?REF=John6:35), the Word of God (http://www.readthebible.com/Bible.asp?REF=Luke4:4), and the fruits of the Spirit (http://www.readthebible.com/Bible.asp?REF=Galatians+5%3A22-23). In Jesus, we have our salvation. In the Word, we have our “meat (http://www.readthebible.com/Bible.asp?REF=1+Corinthians10:3),” and in the Spirit, our fruit. The greatest of this fruit is love, otherwise known as “charity” (http://www.readthebible.com/Bible.asp?REF=1+Corinthians13:13), as Paul the Apostle points out in 1 Corinthians.
When we “go out into all the world (http://www.readthebible.com/Bible.asp?REF=Matthew+28%3A19),” we go out to win souls for Christ and bring everyone we can back to the fold of the Shepherd. There is one thing that we must do: we must speak the truth with the power of God’s love and show that it is a real love (http://www.readthebible.com/Bible.asp?REF=Romans+12%3A9-21&x=8&y=13), one that can come only from the Creator. When they recognize that love, the arrow from the bronze bow has been shot and it has struck its mark.
Love is the only thing that can bend the bow of bronze. God is love so, it is God that bends it, through us, for we are His hands to use in the world. Ask God today to help you bend that bow of bronze and conquer the enemy of the truth.

Brother Mark
Dec 4th 2007, 02:17 AM
Interesting. I think there are several possibilities. I don't think David is talking about physical bows either.

If the enemy shoots firey darts, then what are the arrows we shoot? I am going to dig around and see what kind of arrows can be shot.

Oh, and another interesting verse in that passage follows immediately.

Ps 18:35
35 You have also given me the shield of Your salvation,
And Your right hand upholds me;
And Your gentleness makes me great.
NASU

A great warrior is made so through the gentleness of God. Gentleness can be an effective weapon. Interesting.

Thanks for the thought provoking post.

Amazedgrace21
Dec 4th 2007, 02:25 AM
(26-30) Why God delivered David.

With the merciful You will show Yourself merciful;
With a blameless man You will show Yourself blameless;
With the pure You will show Yourself pure;
And with the devious You will show Yourself shrewd.
You will save the humble people;
But Your eyes are on the haughty, that You may bring them down.

For You are my lamp, O Lord;
The Lord shall enlighten my darkness.
For by You I can run against a troop;
By my God I can leap over a wall.

Mark,

Perhaps the answer is in the earlier verses..this Psalm always impressed me of David's relationship with God over the years and the things he learned from his youth and throughout his lifetime.

That he was speaking to how he came to rely upon Gods strength and mercy and how his trust in God was without a need for reassurance just from the history of how God met his every need.

That his victories on the battlefiled had been great but his victory in the Lord was his greatest one and where his "strength" to bend the bronze bow was more about the strength he drew from God and the arrows were the victories of Gods faithfulness, also of God's provision that helped him overcome his enemies..and challanges as the King and as a man.:hmm:

Just my 2 cents worth..:)

hootinannie
Dec 4th 2007, 02:40 AM
Hi amazedgrace....

I don't have an "answer" to the OP's original question, but something you said made me realize something about my life now. It's this:

That he was speaking to how he came to rely upon Gods strength and mercy and how his trust in God was without a need for reassurance just from the history of how God met his every need.

I just realized when I saw that, that I no longer need reassurances from God concerning His love for me and His faithfulness. He has so proven those things to me (the history of how God has met my every need), that I no longer even QUESTION His love. It's such a solid FACT to me, and I've become so secure in it that no matter what happens to me, the question of His love for me is not even an issue. Boy, I never dreamed I'd ever be in THIS position, since I used to be so INsecure about His love for me that just let the slightest little thing happen and I was totally convinced that God didn't love me. Praise God for His wonderful love and faithfulness!!!!!

Hoot

Kingsdaughter
Dec 4th 2007, 03:31 PM
Interesting. I think there are several possibilities. I don't think David is talking about physical bows either.

If the enemy shoots firey darts, then what are the arrows we shoot? I am going to dig around and see what kind of arrows can be shot.

NASU

A great warrior is made so through the gentleness of God. Gentleness can be an effective weapon. Interesting.

I have a good one Mark, just as a great warrior is made so through the gentleness of God, where does the warrior get his strength? From the JOY of the Lord.

Nehemiah 8:10
Do not grieve, for the joy of the LORD is your strength."

It's interesting that gentleness and joy are both the fruit of the Spirit!! Living on the inside of us.

Galatians5:22-23
22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Friend of I AM
Dec 4th 2007, 04:03 PM
I have a good one Mark, just as a great warrior is made so through the gentleness of God, where does the warrior get his strength? From the JOY of the Lord.

It's interesting that gentleness and joy are both the fruit of the Spirit!! Living on the inside of us.

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Good points Trina and everyone else. The Lord himself used these vary same weapons when confronted with the principalities of this world. Each day he was provoked by the enemy to show a demonstration of God's wrath, he humbled himself before these very principalities demonstrating that Love, or specifically - the fruits of the spirit that make up God's Love are stronger than evil.

Brother Mark
Dec 4th 2007, 04:52 PM

Amen. Without the joy of the Lord, we cannot bend the bow. I need to take time to investigate what the arrows are that such a bow would shoot.

For now, I am wondering if they are not specific things in the word, such as promises. The word is a sword that is wielded. Perhaps the arrows are more specific parts of the word that can be aimed. Sometime today or tomorrow, I hope to check into it a little more.

Thanks for the word. :saint:

Kingsdaughter
Dec 5th 2007, 04:09 PM
Mark,

Could the arrows that our Lord is talking about be our words? I found a few scripture verses, but tell me what your thoughts are on these.

Psalm64:3 NKJV

Who sharpen their tongue like a sword,And bend their bows to shoot their arrows—bitter words.

Proverbs18:21

Death and life are in the power of the tongue, And those who love it will eat its fruit.

Proverbs25:15

By long forbearance a ruler is persuaded, And a gentle tongue breaks a bone.

Jeremiah 9:3
And like their bow they have bent their tongues for lies. They are not valiant for the truth on the earth. For they proceed from evil to evil, And they do not know Me,” says the LORD.

Jeremiah 9:8

Their tongue is an arrow shot out; It speaks deceit; One speaks peaceably to his neighbor with his mouth, But in his heart he lies in wait.

Brother Mark
Dec 5th 2007, 04:13 PM
Hi KG. I think you are on to something. I was reading some of those very verses today. The arrows of the enemy are lies and deceit and called firey darts. Perhaps the arrows we shoot are the promises of the Lord. Still looking.

Keep digging. We'll find something definitive sooner or later. I think we are on the right track though.

Kingsdaughter
Dec 5th 2007, 04:34 PM
Oh my goodness! I believe the arrows are the promises of God! And they only become arrows when we SPEAK THEM INTO EXISTENCE! Shooting out of our mouth arrows of our Lords great and precious promises! So that when our adversaries come after us we speak His promises "no weapon formed against me shall prosper"!!! It does no good if it just stays in our head, we must speak His promises out loud! Like arrows coming out of our mouth!

I just feel the Lord covering me right now, like a fire burning in my heart, I think I'm going to pass out:lol::pp Time to start digging for some scripture verses!!!

Friend of I AM
Dec 5th 2007, 04:47 PM
Samuel 20: 21-22; 25-31; 40-42

20 And I will shoot three arrows to the side-ward, as though I shot at a mark.
21 And, behold, I will send the lad: Go, find the arrows. If I say unto the lad: Behold, the arrows are on this side of thee; take them, and come; for there is peace to thee and no hurt, as the LORD liveth.
22 But if I say thus unto the boy: Behold, the arrows are beyond thee; go thy way; for the LORD hath sent thee away.

25 And the king sat upon his seat, as at other times, even upon the seat by the wall; and Jonathan stood up, and Abner sat by Saul`s side; but David`s place was empty.
26 Nevertheless Saul spoke not any thing that day; for he thought: `Something hath befallen him, he is unclean; surely he is not clean.`
27 And it came to pass on the morrow after the new moon, which was the second day, that David`s place was empty;
and Saul said unto Jonathan his son: `Wherefore cometh not the son of Jesse to the meal, neither yesterday, nor to-day?`
28 And Jonathan answered Saul: `David earnestly asked leave of me to go to Beth-lehem;
29 and he said: Let me go, I pray thee; for our family hath a sacrifice in the city; and my brother, he hath commanded me; and now, if I have found favour in thine eyes, let me get away, I pray thee, and see my brethren. Therefore he is not come unto the kin
30 Then Saul`s anger was kindled against Jonathan, and he said unto him: `Thou son of perverse rebellion, do not I know that thou hast chosen the son of Jesse to thine own shame, and unto the shame of thy mother`s nakedness?
31 For as long as the son of Jesse liveth upon the earth, thou shalt not be established, nor thy kingdom. Wherefore now send and fetch him unto me, for he deserveth to die.`

40 And Jonathan gave his weapons unto his lad, and said unto him: `Go, carry them to the city.`
41 And as soon as the lad was gone, David arose out of a place toward the South, and fell on his face to the ground, and bowed down three times; and they kissed one another, and wept one with another, until David exceeded.
42 And Jonathan said to David: `Go in peace, forasmuch as we have sworn both of us in the name of the LORD, saying: The LORD shall be between me and thee, and between my seed and thy seed, for ever.

Zacharia 9:14-15
Then the LORD will appear over them, And His arrow will go forth like lightning; And the Lord GOD will blow the trumpet, And will march in the storm winds of the south.

The LORD of hosts will defend them. And they will devour and trample on the sling stones; And they will drink and be boisterous as with wine; And they will be filled like a sacrificial basin, Drenched like the corners of the altar.

And the LORD their God will save them in that day As the flock of His people; For they are as the stones of a crown, Sparkling in His land.

I think the arrows could represent God's mercy or covenant with his people. If you read the passage above, I think Jonathan could take the place of Christ in the passage, and the arrows could represent the covenant between the Lord and David. Saul probably represents the adversary, the king of this world - who's trying to destroy the covenant between the two. Even though the Johnathon eventually dies, the covenant between him and David still remains - and Johnathon's line continues to pass on through David - much like the Lord's line continue's through David in the personage of Jesus Christ.

If you read the passage of Zacharia, it seems as though the arrow of mercy is once again thrown by God in order to save his people, once again representing the unbreaking covenant between them - as well as his mercy towards his people.

Brother Mark
Dec 5th 2007, 05:56 PM
Interesting take FIA. Perhaps mercy is one of the arrows of the Lord that he may throw our way. When aimed at the enemy, it is something different though.

Arrows from Jonathan to David... a form of communication about the covenant. Interesting.

Friend of I AM
Dec 5th 2007, 06:16 PM
Interesting take FIA. Perhaps mercy is one of the arrows of the Lord that he may throw our way. When aimed at the enemy, it is something different though.

Arrows from Jonathan to David... a form of communication about the covenant. Interesting.

Thanks. I think this brings us back to our fear thread. The arrows probably have a dual nature to them. They act as protection, or represent God's mercy for his people and establishment of his covenant with them, as well as strong weapons against the adversary. For who can overcome the will of God? Who understands or can overcome the plans that he has for his servants? His promises are mightier than the wills of those who fight against him. So even if his servants demonstrate weakness in their thoughts and hearts, his will, Love, and mercy overcome anything the enemy can throw at them.

2 Corinthians 12:6-10
Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me-- to keep me from exalting myself! Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me. And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.

The will of God is impossible to overcome. As is his mercy and Love for his people. When we are weak - he is strong, through the power and Love of Christ Jesus.

DPMartin
Dec 5th 2007, 07:13 PM
Well there is also this which I believe ties in.
Is not the mercy passed on by the tongue? As one speaks the Truth (the message of the Gospel) which is the mercy to those who Love it. The Truth the Lord Jesus.

Proverbs18:21
Death and life are in the power of the tongue, And those who love it will eat its fruit.

And of corse the Mercy to His own which would be the same in all. Take an example like Paul who experienced God’s mercy when the resistance to the Gospel was hostile, for Paul was one of His and also if what Paul preached was received then those who would love the Truth would receive Mercy because they also in receiving mercy become one of God’s, which were already but then called. Man that’s cool.

Paul stated
Rom :9
20: Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
21: Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?
22: What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:
23: And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,
24: Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?
25: As he saith also in Osee, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.
26: And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God.

To have received God’s Word, the Truth, Jesus the Christ, sealed in Spirit unto Salvation is God’s Mercy. Therefore we are always under God’s mercy for His people.

I believe this is so important think about it, it is what we should fear, that is our confidants, in our God through Jesus.

Pleroo
Dec 8th 2007, 03:54 PM

Something came to me this morning about the arrow thing, and I thought I would share it here. Then I saw that you had already written something very similar to what my thoughts were. Kinda cool. :)

I was thinking about kids and this passage came to mind:

Psalm 127: 1 Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. 2 It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep. 3 Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. 4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. 5 Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.

I was thinking that the same way that children (arrows in the hand of a mighty man), in the natural, are the fruit of the union of marriage, so the fruit of the Spirit is the result of the union of Christ's Spirit with our own. :)

BranchoftheVine
Dec 8th 2007, 04:17 PM

NASU

That is so true. Isn't it amazing how the Lord Jesus, the Creator, is meek and lowly in heart (Matthew 11:28-30) and gives rest to the soul. His gentleness gives daily comfort to the soft-spoken elderly widow in the rest home, and He can melt the heart of the most hardened criminal in prison. His love is rock-solid and unchanging for His own.

I'm continually growing in the Word and learning, but this is my response: As far as the original "bow" passage of Psalm 18:30-34, I looked it up, and looking at the entire passage's context, I think it could mean physical bows. That doesn't mean David was a violent man, as later in vs. 48, he says the Lord protects him from violent men. For sure, though, I feel you can draw spiritual "bow and arrow" parallels out of it.

Great thought-provoking thread!

Brother Mark
Dec 8th 2007, 04:37 PM
I am really enjoying the post in this thread. Here's another thought on what the arrows may be.

Ps 144:5-6

5 Bow Your heavens, O Lord, and come down;
Touch the mountains, that they may smoke.
6 Flash forth lightning and scatter them;
Send out Your arrows and confuse them.
NASU

When we find the enemy encamped against us, may God shoot his arrows and confuse the enemy.

RoadWarrior
Dec 15th 2007, 12:12 AM
I am really enjoying the post in this thread. Here's another thought on what the arrows may be.

Ps 144:5-6

5 Bow Your heavens, O Lord, and come down;
Touch the mountains, that they may smoke.
6 Flash forth lightning and scatter them;
Send out Your arrows and confuse them.
NASU

When we find the enemy encamped against us, may God shoot his arrows and confuse the enemy.

Interesting thread, Brother Mark! I don't know about the arrows, but I have been led to believe that bronze represents judgment. Don't know how that ties in, or if it helps.

But I do like the direction of thinking that the arrows shot against the enemy in judgment would be scripture verses - as Jesus used to defeat Satan in His 40 days of temptations.

By this I am thinking that we first judge that it is an enemy who is coming against us, and using that righteous judgment, we proceed to defend ourselves with powerful arrows - Words of God.