PDA

View Full Version : Meekness/Humility

MMC
Dec 4th 2007, 05:18 PM
I would like to do a study on this topic (its an area I usually struggle with, personally) and was hoping y'all could help point me into Scripture on it.

Scripture cites would be helpful, or general references to stories from OT and NT that are illustrations of it -which I can then go "locate" on my own. (For example, if I just look in a concordance for citations involving the word "humility" or "meek" I might not pick up instances where its opposite, and its consequences, are displayed: Pride).

I am not as well versed in Scripture (I generally *remember* what I've read, but can't always remember the verse or chapter...or even the book!....) I would be particularly interested in perhaps lesser known stories in the OT, proverbs or psalms. And ...really, I'm kind of a babe in this respect - so don't assume its a person or story I've already heard about. If its in the OT, there is only a 50/50 chance I will have read it before.

Thanks!

Kingsdaughter
Dec 4th 2007, 05:24 PM
Here's a great website to look up bible passages, you could do a "keyword search" and it will show you the verse,chapter and book.

www.biblegateway.com (http://www.biblegateway.com)

:hug:

Chris In O.C.
Dec 4th 2007, 05:32 PM
Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth
- Matthew 5:5

By humility and the fear of the Lord are riches, and honor, and life
- Proverbs 22:4

The Lord lifteth up the meek: He casteth the wicked down to the ground
- Psalm 147:6

Ayala
Dec 4th 2007, 05:34 PM
A pinnacle trait of a godly servant.

Psalm 149:4 - For the Lord delights in his people; he crowns the humble with victory.

Proverbs 11:2 - Pride leads to disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.

Proverbs 15:33 - Fear of the Lord teaches wisdom; humility precedes honor.

Matthew 5:5 - God blesses those who are humble, for they will inherit the whole earth.

Ephesians 4:2 - Always be humble and gentle. Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other's faults because of your love.

Philippians 2:3 - Don't be selfish; don't try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves.

James 4:6 - But he gives us even more grace to stand against such evil desires. As the Scriptures say, "God opposes the proud but favors the humble."

James 4:10 - Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up in honor.

1 Peter 3:8 - Finally, all of you should be of one mind. Sympathize with each other. Love each other as brothers and sisters. Be tenderhearted, and keep a humble attitude.

MMC
Dec 4th 2007, 06:22 PM
This is excellent! Thanks, all! Does anyone know of any OT stories where the "point" or focus of the story is on God lifting up the humble (or casting down the proud) for purposes of His glorification?

(Excluding David and Goliath - I'm thinking more like....stuff I may not have read or considered before. Anecdotes that are not preached from the pulpit so often...)

Dan Moran
Dec 4th 2007, 06:30 PM
Are we as Christians, rightly dividing God's Word and walking out in the faith of the Lord Jesus Christ we've been called to ready to understand the nature of a sovereign God in that all mankind lives life to be instructed rightly or wrongly but that no one is above learning? In speaking of being the ambassador for the Lord Jesus Christ does this not mean that we are representatives of that sovereign God and carry with us His message to all and ready and willing to deliver even if the message is one of spiritual correction?

One who loves the Lord God ought to be meek enough to know that a message from Him can come out of anywhere and from anyone meek enough to listen to Him and bold enough to deliver it. No theological degree (granted by man for academic excellence), should be enough to think himself above God Almighty. Would the listener be bold enough to correct him, should the message delivered be contrary to the way God desires to have it taught?

Galatians 6:1-3

Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted. Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. For if anyone thinks himself to be something (the degree can do this), when he is nothing he deceives himself.

Can you imagine God having to rethink sending someone to correct another who possesses a theological degree? "What that man down there is teaching is entirely out of context...BUT...I can't do anything about it, because he's got a degree in theology." Lord have mercy...there goes God's sovereignty out the window!

II Timothy 2:24-25

And a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient, in humility correcting those who are in oppisition (to what?), if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth, and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will.

Did not even the devil purposely misquote or misinterpret God's Word as a far back as the garden of Eden? So if one is in error when teaching, is he not also misleading the church into beliefs contrary to sound doctrine? Would not someone such as this require an ambassador to pull him aside and set him straight? Will he listen, or will his theological degree cloud his vision? It all comes down to meekness.

James 3:13-15

Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show by good conduct that his works are done in the meekness of wisdom. But if you have bitter envy and self-seeking in your hearts, do not boast and lie against the truth. This wisdom does not descend from above, but is earthly, sensual, demonic.

It takes a walk in fellowship with the Lord to be listening and able enough to walk out believing without fear to ensure God is heard in cases where the message is clearly wrong. God says nobody is above Him, because man can easily get filled up with foolish pride and that cuts across God's grain. And where will pride get a man, theological degree or not? :hmm:

MMC
Dec 4th 2007, 07:00 PM
One who loves the Lord God ought to be meek enough to know that a message from Him can come out of anywhere and from anyone meek enough to listen to Him and bold enough to deliver it. No theological degree (granted by man for academic excellence), should be enough to think himself above God Almighty. Would the listener be bold enough to correct him, should the message delivered be contrary to the way God desires to have it taught?

I am sorry. I have no idea what you are talking about. I do not have a theological degree, as is (I hope!) apparent from my initial post. :confused

But thank you for the verses from Galatians, 2 Timothy, and James! :pp

God says nobody is above Him, because man can easily get filled up with foolish pride and that cuts across God's grain.

Yes...that is why I want to learn more about what He has to say on the subject.

Dan Moran
Dec 5th 2007, 08:21 PM
I am sorry. I have no idea what you are talking about. I do not have a theological degree, as is (I hope!) apparent from my initial post. :confused

But thank you for the verses from Galatians, 2 Timothy, and James! :pp

Yes...that is why I want to learn more about what He has to say on the subject.
In the newer editions of the Word of God, you may find the word meekness replaced by the word: Humility. They are generally synonymous.

If we exercise a humility, we open our spiritual ears to listen to God talking to us, we are better able to spiritually learn and therefore be better representatives when speaking to others about Christ. The opposite of humility would be the foolish pride that man makes of himself by not having a meekness to God and His teaching.

Partaker of Christ
Dec 5th 2007, 09:00 PM
In the newer editions of the Word of God, you may find the word meekness replaced by the word: Humility. They are generally synonymous.

If we exercise a humility, we open our spiritual ears to listen to God talking to us, we are better able to spiritually learn and therefore be better representatives when speaking to others about Christ. The opposite of humility would be the foolish pride that man makes of himself by not having a meekness to God and His teaching.

It also means gentle.

Many associate the word meek with weak.
Meekness (or gentleness) is not weakness. There is none more powerful then God, and yet He directs His Power and Strength with such care and tenderness, towards His fragile creation

MMC
Dec 6th 2007, 02:04 PM
It also means gentle.

Many associate the word meek with weak.
Meekness (or gentleness) is not weakness. There is none more powerful then God, and yet He directs His Power and Strength with such care and tenderness, towards His fragile creation

Excellent point, Partaker. Thanks!

Keep it comin' guys...this is helpful! Although I would like someone to maybe direct me to some OT stories that touch on this topic (besides David and Goliath...and Joseph.....as I've said before....)...looking for other OT stories that maybe arent so well known....

Brother Mark
Dec 6th 2007, 02:39 PM
Love your tag line about Newton. Have you seen the movie amazing grace? Wow! I am going to buy it.

MMC, you have such a refreshing spirit about you. What an exciting discussion this thread is. An OT story that illustrates pride and humility is the story about Namaan the leper. Here it is NASB...

2 Kings 5:1-14

5 Now Naaman, captain of the army of the king of Aram, was a great man with his master, and highly respected, because by him the Lord had given victory to Aram. The man was also a valiant warrior, but he was a leper. 2 Now the Arameans had gone out in bands, and had taken captive a little girl from the land of Israel; and she waited on Naaman's wife. 3 And she said to her mistress, "I wish that my master were with the prophet who is in Samaria! Then he would cure him of his leprosy." 4 And Naaman went in and told his master, saying, "Thus and thus spoke the girl who is from the land of Israel." 5 Then the king of Aram said, "Go now, and I will send a letter to the king of Israel." And he departed and took with him ten talents of silver and six thousand shekels of gold and ten changes of clothes. 6 And he brought the letter to the king of Israel, saying, "And now as this letter comes to you, behold, I have sent Naaman my servant to you, that you may cure him of his leprosy." 7 And it came about when the king of Israel read the letter, that he tore his clothes and said, "Am I God, to kill and to make alive, that this man is sending word to me to cure a man of his leprosy? But consider now, and see how he is seeking a quarrel against me."

8 And it happened when Elisha the man of God heard that the king of Israel had torn his clothes, that he sent word to the king, saying, "Why have you torn your clothes? Now let him come to me, and he shall know that there is a prophet in Israel." 9 So Naaman came with his horses and his chariots, and stood at the doorway of the house of Elisha. 10 And Elisha sent a messenger to him, saying, "Go and wash in the Jordan seven times, and your flesh shall be restored to you and you shall be clean." 11 But Naaman was furious and went away and said, "Behold, I thought, 'He will surely come out to me, and stand and call on the name of the Lord his God, and wave his hand over the place, and cure the leper.' 12 "Are not Abanah and Pharpar, the rivers of Damascus, better than all the waters of Israel? Could I not wash in them and be clean?" So he turned and went away in a rage. 13 Then his servants came near and spoke to him and said, "My father, had the prophet told you to do some great thing, would you not have done it? How much more then, when he says to you, 'Wash, and be clean'?" 14 So he went down and dipped himself seven times in the Jordan, according to the word of the man of God; and his flesh was restored like the flesh of a little child, and he was clean.
NASB

Jesus commented on this story in Luke 4.

Luke 4:16-30

16 And He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up; and as was His custom, He entered the synagogue on the Sabbath, and stood up to read. 17 And the book of the prophet Isaiah was handed to Him. And He opened the book, and found the place where it was written,
18 "The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me,Because He anointed Me to preach the gospel to the poor.He has sent Me to proclaim release to the captives,And recovery of sight to the blind,To set free those who are downtrodden, 19 To proclaim the favorable year of the Lord."
20 And He closed the book, and gave it back to the attendant, and sat down; and the eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed upon Him. 21 And He began to say to them, "Today this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing." 22 And all were speaking well of Him, and wondering at the gracious words which were falling from His lips; and they were saying, "Is this not Joseph's son?" 23 And He said to them, "No doubt you will quote this proverb to Me, 'Physician, heal yourself! Whatever we heard was done at Capernaum, do here in your home town as well.'" 24 And He said, "Truly I say to you, no prophet is welcome in his home town. 25 "But I say to you in truth, there were many widows in Israel in the days of Elijah, when the sky was shut up for three years and six months, when a great famine came over all the land; 26 and yet Elijah was sent to none of them, but only to Zarephath, in the land of Sidon, to a woman who was a widow. 27 "And there were many lepers in Israel in the time of Elisha the prophet; and none of them was cleansed, but only Naaman the Syrian." 28 And all in the synagogue were filled with rage as they heard these things; 29 and they rose up and cast Him out of the city, and led Him to the brow of the hill on which their city had been built, in order to throw Him down the cliff. 30 But passing through their midst, He went His way.
NASB

The two stories Jesus mentioned were about Gentiles. They got healed while Israel did not. Why? Because of the faith of one and the humility of another.

Dig away. I am sure you will find many pleasing nuggets!!!!

Follow_Me_Infantry
Dec 6th 2007, 02:55 PM
Excellent point, Partaker. Thanks!

Keep it comin' guys...this is helpful! Although I would like someone to maybe direct me to some OT stories that touch on this topic (besides David and Goliath...and Joseph.....as I've said before....)...looking for other OT stories that maybe arent so well known....

There's an awesome, yet mostly overlooked, story of meekness found in 1 Kings 21. I think this is an example of an OT story on the subject you're requesting? It's also one of the places where meek and humble are used with an absolute distinction, which makes for a very cool story to consider as it pans out.

1 Kings 21:23, 24

23 "And also concerning Jezebel the LORD says: 'Dogs will devour Jezebel by the wall of [a (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=11&chapter=21&version=31#fen-NIV-9475a)] Jezreel.'
24 "Dogs will eat those belonging to Ahab who die in the city, and the birds of the air will feed on those who die in the country."

Jezebel was Ahab's wife, a woman he was forbidden to marry for her worship of false gods and influence over Ahab because he loved her. Ahab defied God for evil:

1 Kings 21:25, 26

25 (There was never a man like Ahab, who sold himself to do evil in the eyes of the LORD, urged on by Jezebel his wife. 26 He behaved in the vilest manner by going after idols, like the Amorites the LORD drove out before Israel.)

The key notation here is the precedent God set: "There was never a man like Ahab..." (emphasis mine). Think about that. Never. Ahab was a new man, a type of man God detested so much that He used never.

I'll leave the rest of my thoughts for you to read, but Ahab is a new thing in God's eyes, a man who traded God for a wife - that had never happened before. I love these types of "it never happened before" stories. Read up on Ahab and Jezebel.

Anyway, back to the crux of the story.

1 Kings 21:27

27 When Ahab heard these words, he tore his clothes, put on sackcloth and fasted. He lay in sackcloth and went around meekly.

Here we see "meekly:" He was beat down by God, he was told as it was: "Dude, this is God. You disgust me. You're the first person EVER to do this to Me, and because of it, I'm a mess your world up, bro. That's what you get for choosing the filly over Me."

When Ahab heard this, it sunk in: Uh, oh, I guess God was serious. Man, what HAVE I done!?!

Imagine the anguish and sadness and fear and dismay Ahab felt when God admonished him! He turned away from standing in defiance to bowing in reverence and as a sinner. He became meek. So this is ONE example where being meek is a no-questions-asked opposite of pride. His shoulders went slump, and he probably walked around saying nothing, head hung low, because he had to acknowledge that God gets to make the decisions and WILL judge us if we fail to heed Him. That's being meek.

But not done yet.

i Kings 21:28, 29

28 Then the word of the LORD came to Elijah the Tishbite: 29 "Have you noticed how Ahab has humbled himself before me? Because he has humbled himself, I will not bring this disaster in his day, but I will bring it on his house in the days of his son."

This is where it takes a plot twist. God didn't say this to Ahab, He went to Elijah and told him, instead. Obviously, this means that Ahab's "meekness" was God's version of being "humble." God is still going to punish Ahab--in fact, because God didn't tell Ahab, Ahab is walking around in a personal HELL--by completing His word at a later time.

On the surface, it might appear that the bible is making a correlation here, a suggestion that meek and humble are the same. But is that really what it says?

Ahab turned meek out of fear and sadness for his life choices. GOD, on the other hand, said that He was moved by his humbleness.

In my opinion, this means that,

1. Being meek is to accept that we are sinners and under God's direction, and;

2. God transforms our transition to meek into glory (humbleness).

In other words, being meek means we accept and are sorry for our transgressions; being humble is to accept that others will err.

That's just the way I personally read the story, I'm no biblical scholar. You read it and take from it what you do. But I do hope this is what you were looking for.

MMC
Dec 6th 2007, 03:37 PM
That's just the way I personally read the story, I'm no biblical scholar. You read it and take from it what you do. But I do hope this is what you were looking for.

YES, FMI! That is precisely the kind of "examples" I'm after!!! More please!!! :)