PDA

View Full Version : Anyone laugh at those people in the gym?

A820djd
Dec 5th 2007, 07:30 PM
Sorry if this sounds cruel, but has anyone ever laughed at those guys who think they're big stuff in the gym and scream and drop weights for attention?

"YEAH BUDDY!" "LIGHT WEIGHT BAAABY!" "LIFT THAT SHHH, LIFT THAT SHHH!"

These two guys in the gym are so funny, they scream when they lift and one of the guys won't say the S word in the gym but he'll say, Hit that shh, makes me wanna fall on the ground and laugh. :rolleyes:

Ayala
Dec 5th 2007, 07:38 PM
Haha, hey lifting weights can be extremely pleasurable. Though I've yet to feel the need to vocalize that pleasure in such a way lol.

Otter77
Dec 5th 2007, 07:51 PM
Sorry if this sounds cruel, but has anyone ever laughed at those guys who think they're big stuff in the gym and scream and drop weights for attention?

These two guys in the gym are so funny, they scream when they lift and one of the guys won't say the S word in the gym but he'll say, Hit that shh, makes me wanna fall on the ground and laugh. :rolleyes:

man... I hate that. So rude...

It is pretty laughable too, I think every gym must have one or a few guys like this... mine certainly did. They're quite impressed with themselves aren't they? Too bad Jesus doesn't see it that way.

Ayala
Dec 5th 2007, 07:57 PM
He who exalts himself will be humbled and he who humbles himself will be exalted. :P

A820djd
Dec 5th 2007, 08:02 PM
He who exalts himself will be humbled and he who humbles himself will be exalted. :P

Well don't get me wrong I do it too if it's heavy... So maybe it should be "He whom humbles himself unless he wishes to poop thy pants, may scream to lift heavier." lol

JIML
Dec 5th 2007, 10:46 PM

I think i witnessed that kind of thing only once, and the guy was squatting 500lbs so i think he had the right to scream.

Huck
Dec 6th 2007, 01:26 AM
If you don't have the urge to scream you ain't working hard enough.;)

A820djd
Dec 6th 2007, 02:10 AM

I disagree, the reason why people scream is to get adrenaline pumping, some people would also do this when they're running for their lives to speed themselves up, screaming while running increases your adrenaline hence making you run faster, which I would think would apply to lifting, but if you're yelling so you can get the attention of someone else, you're losing your breath and struggling to get 6 reps in... When people drop weights and yell with basically all of their lifts in the gym, then you know that they're not intelligent enough to know the facts I stated above.

Otter77
Dec 6th 2007, 03:17 AM

I've over-worked and torn plenty of muscles without screaming...

Ayala
Dec 6th 2007, 04:30 AM
Tore a hamstring awhile back...Not fun hahah.

A820djd
Dec 6th 2007, 05:20 AM
Tore a hamstring awhile back...Not fun hahah.

I did too, both but at different times when I was like 8-9... I was running then I'm like. oww cramp. OW CRAMP, OW CRAMP! AHHH PAAAIN! lol

Toolman
Dec 6th 2007, 02:42 PM
I holler a bit when I'm doing squats in the 300+ range. It definitely helps me complete the rep but its not anything obnoxious, more like something one would learn in martial arts.

Personally, when I have that much on the bar doing squats I don't care what other people think. Anyone who thinks it abnormal is definitely still squatting the "ladies" weight :)

Otter77
Dec 6th 2007, 04:27 PM
I holler a bit when I doing squats in the 300+ range. It definitely helps me complete the rep but its not anything obnoxious, more like something one would learn in martial arts.

Personally, when I have that much on the bar doing squats I don't care what other people think. Anyone who thinks it abnormal is definitely still squatting the "ladies" weight :)

Yeah... I don't think that's what we're talking about here... at least the guys that I was referring to when saying "I've seen that" were more like doing curls or bench and then also demonstratively dropping/throwing the weight to the ground... which is equally stupid and dangerous.

I've definitely been known to grunt loudly at reasonable and appropriate times such as that.

Toolman
Dec 6th 2007, 04:32 PM
Yeah... I don't think that's what we're talking about here... at least the guys that I was referring to when saying "I've seen that" were more like doing curls or bench and then also demonstratively dropping/throwing the weight to the ground... which is equally stupid and dangerous.

No, I'm hip to exactly the "type" you are talking about. They scream at each other on every set for "motivation" and then drop the weights with much gusto at the end of each and every set.

Very annoying and distracting for sure. Nothing wrong with a bit of motivation but please keep it to yourself and your partner... no need to scream for the whole gym to hear your motivating banter :lol:

Ayala
Dec 6th 2007, 04:35 PM
I holler a bit when I doing squats in the 300+ range. It definitely helps me complete the rep but its not anything obnoxious, more like something one would learn in martial arts.

Haha every once and awhile, I'll find myself letting out a sharp kihap when I'm finishing a set.

Toolman
Dec 6th 2007, 04:42 PM
Haha every once and awhile, I'll find myself letting out a sharp kihap when I'm finishing a set.

That's pretty much what I do also. If I've got 300+ on the squat bar I'll usually give one on each of the last few reps.

Can't help it :)

Ayala
Dec 6th 2007, 04:45 PM
Lol it does tend to give that little extra push.

RedBird777
Dec 10th 2007, 03:36 AM
In karate, there is something called a "kiai", which means "spirited shout". This shout actually makes the punch, kick, elbow, or whatever we're using a bit more power than if you don't. In our katas (for the martial-art-illiterate, forms), we have kiais at certain points that show where a rather powerful move is. These shouts can actually give you that last urge to push up a heavy weight.

Drums4Him
Dec 13th 2007, 11:09 PM

I wouldn't laugh because, well what if the guy is on steriods and goes into a rage? I just ignore because that kind of thing draws the wrong attention.

A820djd
Dec 15th 2007, 09:46 PM
I wouldn't laugh because, well what if the guy is on steriods and goes into a rage? I just ignore because that kind of thing draws the wrong attention.

Roid rage in front of tons of people? Then I get a lawsuit, few thousand dollars and a new pair of shoes. ;)

Drums4Him
Mar 31st 2008, 09:34 PM
No I wouldn't laugh at anyone in the gym, I am afraid they would "accidently" drop a plate on my head.

atrus912
Apr 3rd 2008, 03:14 PM
There really aren't too many of those types at my gym, but there are more forms of rudeness than just that.

For instance, in my gym, there are about 3 guys who come in at the same time I do who honestly think that because they've got bigger arms and chests, that they have priority on the equipment. They will go as far as to look at you and tell you "hurry the *fiery underworld* up", to which I give them some kind of "I'll be done when I d*** well please".

Those kind of people just get on my littlest nerve. I don't care how big they might be, get Ben over here angry enough, and he can lift three guys off the ground easily, and throw 'em through the ceiling.