PDA

View Full Version : Aaron's sons as priests

MichaelBelieve
Dec 7th 2007, 04:53 PM
I have always wondered why Aaron's sons were the priests and high priests. Moses also had sons but they are not in this lineage and I wonder if anyone has any insight into this. It's not a big deal just a curiousity.
Thanks

Mike:)

Brother Mark
Dec 7th 2007, 11:38 PM
I don't know why Mike. Interesting question. Perhaps someone knows and will post it. :hmm:

Pleroo
Dec 8th 2007, 12:05 AM
God told Moses this about the high priest:

Lev 21:14 He must not marry a widow, a divorced woman, or a woman defiled by prostitution, but only a virgin from his own people, 15 so he will not defile his offspring among his people. I am the Lord, who makes him holy.'"

Moses' wife was a Midianite, not an Israelite, so I would think this would have something to do with why his sons were not included. Just my thoughts.

Kahtar
Dec 8th 2007, 01:12 AM
I'm not sure the exact reasons why, either. But, out of all the Levites, Aaron was chosen as high priest, and only those in his family, his sons, were made priests. The rest of the Levites served the Temple and the priests, but they were not priests themselves.
They did things like carry the boards and coverings of the tabernacle, the dishes, etc. and handled the sacrificial animals. Basically, they did the 'dirty work', while the priests ministered within the tabernacle, or temple.

Edit to add: Just a further note of interest, practically every aspect of the duties of the priests and Levites have their counterpart in the New Testament, ie the priesthood and Levitical system was a shadow of what was to come, and now is. Thus, we are now called a royal priesthood, and have been made priests of the Most High.

Soj
Dec 8th 2007, 02:05 AM
God told Moses this about the high priest:

Lev 21:14 He must not marry a widow, a divorced woman, or a woman defiled by prostitution, but only a virgin from his own people, 15 so he will not defile his offspring among his people. I am the Lord, who makes him holy.'"

Moses' wife was a Midianite, not an Israelite, so I would think this would have something to do with why his sons were not included. Just my thoughts.Good point as to why Moses wasn't called to do it!

Considering that it was Moses and Aaron that God used to lead out Israel from Egypt, choosing one of them to take this great responsability follows the same reasoning as the disciples used when they replaced Judas with a faithful follower who had been with them "from the beginning" (Acts 1:21-23).

God called Aaron:

Hebrews 5:4 And no man taketh this honour unto himself, but he that is called of God, as was Aaron.

Aaron and his son's priesthood was called an "order":

Hebrews 7:11 If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?

Exodus 27:21 In the tabernacle of the congregation without the vail, which is before the testimony, Aaron and his sons shall order it from evening to morning before the LORD: it shall be a statute for ever unto their generations on the behalf of the children of Israel.

Alaska
Dec 8th 2007, 03:11 AM
Ex. 7:

1 And the LORD said unto Moses, See, I have made thee a god to Pharaoh: and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet.

The idea of a parallel typology comes to mind.

Moses appointed Aaron, by the direction of God, to be high preist.
Moses was to Aaron what God was to Jesus what Jesus is to us. We are part of the preisthood by the NT standard called by Jesus, while Aaron was called to be the high preist called of Moses (a type of God) via God.

Hebrews 5:4 And no man taketh this honour unto himself, but he that is called of God, as was Aaron

Moses as a type of God called Aaron to be the high preist.
Aaron in the above verse is being typed with Jesus who was called of God to be High Priest.

Moses was also a Levite. There was the "priests the sons of Levi" and then there were the priests the sons of Aaron the sons of Levi.
The latter category of priests being the elite so to speak. You didn't necessarily have to be of Aaron to be of the priests. As all priests were not authorized to do the services that Aaron and his sons did.

So Jesus the High Priest appoints us to also be priests. As Moses, a Levite (of the priests) appoints Aaron to be High priest. But it was understood that Moses was over the priests as it is understood that Jesus is above and over his NT priesthood of believers.

It makes sense to consider that Moses being of the priests, who was a type of Jesus to come, would be of the priests but above the priests; authorizing the priests.
So perhaps this is a point to consider why Moses' lineage was not the High priest lineage: Because Moses' position was unique, he was the beginning so to speak. He was a type of Jesus, who was to start and order and direct the preisthood, not just be one of the many priests.

Also Paul points out that Jesus was of Judah, not of Levi, the tribe from which priests came in the OT. Moses had for a long time lived with Jethro who was the priest of Midian. Just a thought. Perhaps this could be tied in with Jesus being of the order of Melchisadeck and not of Levi.