PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty praying out loud

nebula_omega
Dec 12th 2007, 07:28 PM
I don't know, for some reason it makes me feel self-concious, even when I'm completely alone. Is it a case of 'practice makes perfect'? If so, how can I work up the courage to even practice?

sunney4
Dec 12th 2007, 07:34 PM
i had this problem, and still do to some extent. I really am not a fan of praying out loud even by myself. For me it is a practice makes perfect thing but I also found that praying out loud at least alone, caused me to think about what I was saying and mean it kinda thing. It also helps me to hear what I'm thinking. Why, I dont know. What I found helpful was praying out loud in bed. Random but true. That is when I'm most comfortable and relaxed. So that might help. The praying out loud in public thing wasn't fun for me at all until God met me there one day and wow. As I continue to do so, even though I pretty much plan out what I'm gonna say before I say it, because I dont want to sound dumb, I try to keep in mind that it's God. God is listening. Are any of the people that I'm praying with really gonna say, your prayer sucked? no probably not. Hasn't happened yet. And if anything, they will encourage you, not tear you down. Having lead a small group of highschool kids, none of them ever wanted to pray so it was always me. So, I think being forced into the situation helped too.

Anyway, my suggestion to you is to try when you are most comfortable, be it in bed or your car? I love my bed. And it doesn't have to be loud, just think of it as like worshipful singing but slowly talking? (lol). I haven't done it recently except to bless food, so I need to pick it up again. I think you will find it more of a blessing. I just needed to get past myself and realize I'm talking to my best friend. It's ok. :)

Adam168
Dec 12th 2007, 07:38 PM
When are you supposed to pray out loud?

Confused64
Dec 12th 2007, 08:02 PM
I have a book in my truck called "Promises from God for Men". Every morning, when I get to work, I pick a section to read (or, rather, He picks the section for me depending on where I am at that time), and, after reading it, I say a short prayer out loud before going into work. I also pray out loud in bed at night before I go to sleep.

Nothing spectacular in either case, but the Lord knows my heart.:D

revrobor
Dec 13th 2007, 02:07 AM
There is no Scriptural mandate that we must pray out loud. In fact when Jesus tells us to go into our "closet" and pray privately it is generally understood He is saying to pray silently in our mind. I seldom pray out loud. Perhaps sometimes when I am in bed by myself. Most prayers I've heard people pray out loud seem to be to impress those around them rather than communicate with God. Don't sweat it. You are not less of a Believer because you don't pray out loud.

nichollsvi
Dec 13th 2007, 03:35 AM
Great question! I also am afraid to be called on in our study group. Thankfully the men do the praying, we have one guy who's really good.

Vic

Lefty
Dec 13th 2007, 05:38 AM
In Lewis' book 'Letters to Malcom, Chiefly on Prayer', he describes silent prayer as an advanced practice. I don't see it that way and have been praying silently from the beginning. The sound of my voice breaks my concentration. Whatever works.

Loved
Dec 13th 2007, 07:23 AM
I've found praying out loud to be a powerful and uplifting experience, more so when I'm praying for/with others than by myself (imagine a group of people praying over someone all silently in their minds and then imagine it aloud :)). Though talking to God out loud by myself does feel like sharing with a friend and is very therapuetic. :) It took alot of adjusting for me and I'm still not 100% comfortable praying out loud, but whispering is how I start when I'm having a hard time speaking out alone, and a silent prayer in my mind before speaking aloud is how I start when I'm praying with someone else. :)

Frances
Dec 13th 2007, 06:12 PM
Do you have a problem speaking out loud to the people also in the room with you? So why should you have a problem speaking to God when you are alone in a room together? The person who you feel 'prays really well' seems to have given you an inferiority complex, but you are not in competition with him, and your Heavenly Father doesn't mind if your prayer is not 'polished to perfection', He just wants to hear the thoughts of your heart. When praying aloud in a group you are still talking to the same God you speak to silently, or aloud in your own room, the only difference is that you are inviting other people to pray in unison with you. . . .
I suggest that, to get over the first hurdle, you pray just one sentence. eg. "Thank you very much for this lovely day. Amen." - the next time will be easier.

GraceAbounds
Dec 13th 2007, 08:15 PM
I don't know, for some reason it makes me feel self-concious, even when I'm completely alone. Is it a case of 'practice makes perfect'? If so, how can I work up the courage to even practice?
I use to have a problem with this as well. At first I thought 'gee this really feels awkward'. Then the more I thought about it and the more I prayfully journaled about it, I realized it was due to insecurity and pride.

Anyway, one weekend at church we were having an 'Awakening' (40 straight hours of prayer going on at our church). During those 40 hours we had at least 5 people praying at a time. I went everyday to take part in the prayer for the awakening we needed to take place at our church and in our lives.

On Saturday night, in the sanctuary, one of our elders was in there praying outloud. He was just walking up and down the aisles, reading scripture and praying. I was quietly praying to myself, all the while feeling the passion coming from my elder. When the elder became quiet, I felt compelled by the Holy Spirit to do the same. All my insecurity left. No pride, just complete abandonment to God. When I finished, the elder started up again. Then one of my sister's in Christ, who had never really prayed aloud like that before, started doing the same as well. And we just went on taking turns like that. It was such a blessing. It always is when God frees us like that.

* I apologize for not reading all the other posts. I just read your op and thought 'Wow! I know that feeling. Let me share my testimony with her'. It may or many not be exactly what you are experiencing, but I hope my experience blessed you in some small way at least. :blushhap:

Ta-An
Dec 13th 2007, 08:18 PM
I helps me to write my prayer out and then read it...;)

boltnut55
Dec 17th 2007, 09:20 AM
When are you supposed to pray out loud?

I've been in fellowship groups since about 1980, when I was 14, and I've always hated praying out loud. I can go up to the pulpit and made announcements, and I do presentations at work, so it's not the speaking in a crowd that I don't like. It's speaking spontaneously. My presentations and announcements are written down, so I don't forget, but when I get called on in a fellowship group, I hate it.

Other than fellowship groups, sometimes when we go to meals w/other Christians, someone might ask me to pray. When our service ends early, sometimes our pastor will ask us to pray in groups of 2 or 3. I don't even like to pray in front of my DH, so if he's in my group of 2, he'll pray or we'll silently pray separately. Needless to say, we don't do devotions together!

CoffeeBeaned
Dec 17th 2007, 08:53 PM
You might try reading a Psalm aloud. Most of the Psalms are very prayerlike and this can help you get over the hurtle of praying out loud. You can "pray" the Psalm to God.

I'm sure that He is pleased, however you are talking to Him. Just so long as you are.

ImmenseDisciple
Dec 17th 2007, 09:02 PM
When I'm praying in my head, I'm always backing up and getting into a jumble, so I make a point of praying out loud, and really taking my time over it, to make sure ever single word I utter is completely heartfelt, not just a throwaway thought. I can take a long time to figure out how I'm going to bring one 'point' to Him sometimes, but I feel like I'm doing it 'properly'. Really, though- whatever works for you. If you feel guilty because you're not praying out loud, maybe you should be, and it'll lead you to more rewarding prayer. If you're perfectly happy with how you pray in your head, maybe you've just gotta stick with that. Whatever works for you :)

Partaker of Christ
Dec 20th 2007, 11:15 PM
There is no Scriptural mandate that we must pray out loud. In fact when Jesus tells us to go into our "closet" and pray privately it is generally understood He is saying to pray silently in our mind. I seldom pray out loud. Perhaps sometimes when I am in bed by myself. Most prayers I've heard people pray out loud seem to be to impress those around them rather than communicate with God. Don't sweat it. You are not less of a Believer because you don't pray out loud.

Same here Rev!

I pray out loud what the devil needs to hear, and I pray silent prayer what I don't want him to hear. He cannot read our hearts and minds

Athanasius
Dec 21st 2007, 12:08 AM
I have a problem praying out loud because I feel as if I'm competing with everyone else to sound eloquent, sophisticated, Godly, well spoken and Holy--All in one!

Truth be told, I'm a writer and orator. I have no problem speaking, teaching, excogitating, presenting. But when it comes to praying it feels as if, self conscious as it is, that I don't compare to a lot of other people I've heard.

I'm sure I've heard, as have a lot of other people, that there is power in praying out loud; I'd be inclined to agree in certain situations. However, unless it's a spontaneous nudging of the Spirit, I wouldn't be able (at this period in my life) to pray out loud publicly without praying for the wrong reasons--to sound good, eloquent, Christian etc.

MMC
Dec 21st 2007, 01:59 AM
I just talk to God. Sometimes it comes out loud, sometimes in my head.
I just tell him what's on my heart - sometimes its this: "Gosh, I have no idea what to say right now." Other times I just like to sit and just "be" with Him. He never disappoints.

Be yourself and be natural. He made you the way you are, after all!

torazon
Feb 5th 2008, 02:39 AM

I have never previously discussed this with anyone. The years I spent at a particular church listening to certain members pray out loud in our study groups left me really scratching my head. Their prayers seemed so stiff and rehearsed and not from the heart. Yes they used all the right words and sounded "impressive" but who were they talking to? It's my understanding that God needs very few words from you and certainly is not impressed by a well rehearsed speech. Funny though, the Pastor never seemed to pray like it was a pre-typed acting job, only the wannabe Deacons that were looking for an official spot in the Church.

Anyway your point is great. ;)

RobbieP
Feb 5th 2008, 03:24 AM
Same here Rev!

I pray out loud what the devil needs to hear, and I pray silent prayer what I don't want him to hear. He cannot read our hearts and minds

My pastor's wife once told me to be careful what I say out loud because the devil hears and will fool us.....If the Lord is sovereign, we need to trust that whatever happens is something he allowed or caused....
Shouldn't we trust Him totally?

Mograce2U
Feb 5th 2008, 03:43 AM
I have always liked Solomon's wisdom:
(Eccl 5:1-3 KJV) Keep thy foot when thou goest to the house of God, and be more ready to hear, than to give the sacrifice of fools: for they consider not that they do evil. {2} Be not rash with thy mouth, and let not thine heart be hasty to utter any thing before God: for God is in heaven, and thou upon earth: therefore let thy words be few. {3} For a dream cometh through the multitude of business; and a fool's voice is known by multitude of words.

We have recorded for us one of his great prayers in the dedication of the temple. And the other examples we have of prayer in scripture are frequently rehearsals of what they know about God thru His works & His word.

But David's Psalms have to be the best place to begin a study of prayer. And of course Jesus' prayer in John 17 - which was specifically laid out for the ears of his disciples.

I have been in a few "prayer circles" and didn't care much for them. Prayer is too intimate in my opinion, unless there is a specific topic to stick too. Or you feel strongly led by the Lord to do so. If I don't, I keep quiet and pray in silence. But since I live alone, I can either chat or I can pray more formally and that liberty I enjoy the best.

RevLogos
Feb 5th 2008, 04:14 AM
I've never felt a need to pray aloud though there's nothing wrong with it. The Lord knows what's in your heart even before you say it.

Mat 6:6 But whenever you pray, go into your room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father, who sees in secret, will reward you.But sometimes I do, especially in the car on the way to work. Praying aloud helps get your thoughts in order. Silent prayer sometimes results in a lot of drifting thoughts. Finding quiet time alone with God is sometimes hard to do.

militarywife
Feb 5th 2008, 06:38 AM
Same here Rev!

AMEN to that.

I would also like to add that God isnt looking for us to pray big and fancy. It says in Psalm 34:17 that the rightous CRY OUT and the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles.
Prayer can be right to the point.

Cornerstone
May 10th 2015, 06:48 AM
Prayer is communing with God, talking to God, it's one of the sweetest sacrifices that we can offer up to God, and it's so wonderful to pray together in the unity of God's Holy Spirit. How wonderful is that, we can talk to the living Creator God of the Universe, and together make our requests be made known. We can either be praying from our heart or praying from our mind, if we are praying from our mind, then for sure our mind is thinking about itself, and is conscious of Self, but when we pray from our heart and surrender to the Holy Spirit, it's not about what people think, it's all about God's heart speaking through our hearts towards Him and others. We just need to make our prayers real, if you can speak what is truthful in your heart, then you won't have difficulty. Before you pray in public, pray for the Holy Spirit to give you utterance, and trust what He has to say through your heart. Praying out loud is for the edifying of other believers, sometimes you might hear confirmation coming from someone else's prayers, or maybe someone needed to hear your heartfelt prayer, as they could be having a hard time and sometimes people can't pray because of so much pain. Don't let your fear stop you, pray anyway, it's a sweet sacrifice when you do.
New believers might have a problem about praying out loud in public, and so they might still be feeling insecure to the Holy Spirit, and comparing themselves to those who have been praying for years. No need to compare yourself, everyone is unique, and has the same Holy Spirit, just surrender, ask God what you should pray for, then when it's time, it's amazing what comes out of our hearts, what the Holy Spirit wants to express through our hearts. Awesome!!!
The most important thing about prayer is that we be in one accord, in agreement with God's Will. If we spend time judging people what they might think about our prayers, or what they think about us, then how can our hearts be truly on God? Prayer is the most beautiful gift we have.....and we should share it with others. Before public prayer, think only on God, and on His love, and love for everyone, this is sweet surrender.
19 (http://biblehub.com/matthew/18-19.htm)"Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven. 20 (http://biblehub.com/matthew/18-20.htm)"For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst." Matthew 18:19-20
God's blessings, shalom.

ForHisglory
May 10th 2015, 08:02 AM
When you hurt yourself do you ever exclaim in pain? When you are frustrated do you ever cry out in frustration? If so then we need to remember that the Holy Spirit intercedes even with groans and sighs.
There are two separate issues here. One is to do with expressing yourself out loud, the other is expressing yourself to God.
We have found as a congregation that many struggle to pray out loud, for they fear their prayers won't be clear, or won't sound spiritual enough. So we instigated one word prayers - which often slip to two.
So for example someone at work is bothering you - you pray "work". If you know someone who is in need of God's touch, let's call them Peter - you pray "Peter". There is no need to recite all the problems or anything else, for He knows. Yet He wants you to bring them to Him. It is also cathartic to your soul, for it is with your mouth you confess.
Silent prayer has its place, but actually most prayer should be out loud - which is why sometimes you go into a room by yourself, that you can pray out loud without someone hearing you - but if the Devil hears that is fine, because that will worry him.

So prayer as an expletive is a powerful weapon - LORD!!!
I also find actions are powerful too!

Get a flag - say red for His blood and start waving it around the room (when no one is around), and as you do, you start praying in your mind for the things in the room, the people who use the room, the events etc. as you move around and wave it around (do it at church if you have a chance) then start to respond to the thoughts God prompts you with, like "worship". This movement helps release your body and mind and brings you into contact with the world. Then you may feel released to also speak the words out.
God made us as an entire being and we often restrict Him to closing our eyes and clasping our hands and in the quietness of our minds. This in itself isn't wrong, but is like a person who only eats bread, there is also milk, and fruit and vegetables and really a full feast at the Lord's table.

One more thought - use music. If you can sing in worship, then pray in singing. Get a CD with worship songs you like, sing the songs, then play it again, but this time change the words to fit the tune as you like - some songs are easier for this. One good one is "alleluia, alleluia, alleluia, alleluia, alleluia, alleluia, alleluia, alleluia." Those words are sung as 4 syllables long and can be changed for "I will praise Him, I will praise Him...", or "Jesus is Lord, Jesus is Lord...."
Prayer is an extension (or aspect) of worship. You could then sing "Lord I need you, Lord I need you..." and even mix things up "You are so great, Yes I love you, for you're worthy, my redeemer, alleluia, I will praise you, Jesus Saviour, Give me strength Lord"
When you sing this out loud, then you are using your words, with a song which you can keep returning too.

God is the God of the practical, the real and the true. He wants you to be free to worship Him in all places and at all times, to bring your prayers to Him in silence and out loud. For His glory.

mailmandan
May 10th 2015, 10:54 AM
I have a problem praying out loud because I feel as if I'm competing with everyone else to sound eloquent, sophisticated, Godly, well spoken and Holy--All in one! I used to feel that way, but now I just simply pray from the heart and don't worry about what everyone else is thinking. No "big show" for me.