PDA

View Full Version : Why do the unsaved/nonbelievers go to "hell"?

mkor4
Jan 2nd 2008, 04:58 PM
Personally im not sure if i believe in hell but can you tell me why is it said that people who havnt accepted Jesus as savior dont go to heaven and go to hell if there is such a place because what about people in countries that havnt heard of Jesus?-that would be unfair of that to happen/doesnt make sense because of the circumstances these people have been born into.
Thankyou

Frances
Jan 2nd 2008, 06:14 PM
We are all headed for Hell (eternity without God), however God has made a way to spend eternity with Him in Heaven, by fulfilling certain requirements. Each individual has the responsibility to either accept or reject God's offer.

Nihil Obstat
Jan 2nd 2008, 06:30 PM
I have a friend who was born and raised in the swamp land of Africa. No one knew the name of Jesus, nor had they heard the gospel. But my friend used to climb up a tree and sit on the highest branches and listen to the wind. He would spend hours there every day, and the wind would speak to him, teaching him many things, and would tell him of a Savior. My friend would say back to the wind, "Save me." The wind was the Holy Spirit. When my friend came to America, he was asked if he knew Jesus, and he said no. So he was invited to church, and as they spoke of Jesus from the Bible, it would often be word for word what the wind had spoken to him in the tree tops. What was interesting to me was that my friend knew more of Jesus than those who had brought him to church! The only thing he was missing was Jesus' name... If my friend would have died before hearing the name of Jesus, he still would have gone to be with Jesus.

Many know of "the God above all gods" (cp. Acts 17:16-34), though not all seek fellowship with Him and Him alone. Not all love His word. Read Romans 1-3, for Paul talks of this very thing there.

And hell is a very real place. It is a glorious reality! By it we see the burning jealousy of our Husband for us (Prov. 6:34; Song 8:6-7)!

- Lk.11

Ruth2
Jan 2nd 2008, 06:43 PM
I see it as follows:

Every person of discernable age (an age where they know right from wrong) begins to make choices for self over others and self over God. From the first time they make that choice, they have sinned.

John 9:39-41
39Jesus said, "For judgment I have come into this world, so that the blind will see and those who see will become blind."
40Some Pharisees who were with him heard him say this and asked, "What? Are we blind too?"
41Jesus said, "If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains.

God is a just judge. And just like any just judge - He will not wink at what is wrong.
If a man commits murder and stands trial - he will be sentenced according to the law.
God will judge each person the same - according to the law as it is written in our hearts and every person who sins knows they have.

Romans 2:15
since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them.)

We are given a choice. To pay for our own sins (by going to hell for eternity) or choosing to receive the gift of grace and living with Him.

In Godís courtroom Ė He came down from the bench and stood by our side and said, I will pay their debt if they will have me. So the very judge who judges us justly, also paid our debt so we didnít have to suffer our own deserved punishment.

It is like a judge who goes to a man on death row and tells him that he can go home now and the judge will die in his place. If that man refuses this gift of love Ė then the man has no right to blame the judge when he suffers his fate.

Athanasius
Jan 2nd 2008, 06:50 PM
Personally im not sure if i believe in hell but can you tell me why is it said that people who havnt accepted Jesus as savior dont go to heaven and go to hell if there is such a place because what about people in countries that havnt heard of Jesus?-that would be unfair of that to happen/doesnt make sense because of the circumstances these people have been born into.
Thankyou

Do you believe people can know God without hearing about the Bible or Jesus Christ? Solely in the context of a tribe, buried deep in some forest who have never heard of Jesus Christ, or the Bible.

The Parson
Jan 2nd 2008, 07:04 PM
Do you believe people can know God without hearing about the Bible or Jesus Christ? Solely in the context of a tribe, buried deep in some forest who have never heard of Jesus Christ, or the Bible.I see what you may be asking. The subject isn't a popular one and is even avoided in many seminaries. Can someone be saved if the are never evangelized? Is that what you are asking?

Athanasius
Jan 2nd 2008, 07:56 PM
I see what you may be asking. The subject isn't a popular one and is even avoided in many seminaries. Can someone be saved if the are never evangelized? Is that what you are asking?

That would be the question.
Could a person or group of people figure out, through nature or some other aspect, the existence of God. Posit, and then worship God and become 'saved', or believers in 'God'.
Talking of course, in the sense of the Biblical God.

Of course there is another possibility--who's to say God didn't reveal Himself to them at some point?
Especially if they start seeking after this idea of God (to them).

faithfulfriend
Jan 2nd 2008, 08:49 PM
Thankyou

If a soul truly desires to make it to God's Heaven, they must get there God's way.

No other way will bring success.

mikebr
Jan 2nd 2008, 09:43 PM
If a soul truly desires to make it to God's Heaven, they must get there God's way.

No other way will bring success.

Yes I agree, God's way!

not the baptist way, or the pentecostal way, nor the methodist way, catholic way, ..................

bornagain
Jan 2nd 2008, 10:18 PM
The reason a sinner goes to hell is to pay for the sins in their life. You see God cant allow any sin into Heaven. Its just like when we break the law here on earth, our court system dertermines a penalty that we must pay, a fine, time in jail, prison etc. The fact that you were born into sin, thanks to Adam, you must pay the price for that sin when you die, which is hell. Im sure youve heard somewhere that Jesus died for our sins on the cross. He did die and the reason he did it was out of love. You see the deal was if he would die for us, God would accept that as payment for our sins so we wouldnt have to go to hell and pay it ourselves. What an awesome deal it is. I have the opportunity to now live with God when I die instead of paying my own penalty for my sins. All I need to do is sincerely tell Jesus you believe he is the son of God and that you believe he died for your sins and was raised up from the dead. (Read Romans chapter 10 verse 9) Ask him to come into your life, which means following him and what he wants for you. Tell him your sorry for your sins and repent which means to change your ways. When you accept Jesus your whole life changes for the better. As far as people in other parts of the world I cannot answer for them or about them, thats for God to do. We have to answer for ourselves. The fact is right now you have heard about Jesus, be thankful you have heard the good news and live for him.

The Parson
Jan 2nd 2008, 11:53 PM
That would be the question.
Could a person or group of people figure out, through nature or some other aspect, the existence of God. Posit, and then worship God and become 'saved', or believers in 'God'.
Talking of course, in the sense of the Biblical God.

Of course there is another possibility--who's to say God didn't reveal Himself to them at some point?
Especially if they start seeking after this idea of God (to them).To be quite frank with you, there is only the definate answer that if someone hears the Gospel, then rejects it, he is most surely on his or her way to hell. John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

I also know that (and I am not saying this to start a debate or derailing) if a child who cannot comprehend the Gospel dies, there is eternal life for that child also. Romans 4:13 For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith. 4:14 For if they which are of the law be heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect: 4:15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.

I can also say that in order to hear the Gospel, it needs to be preached. Acts 8:30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest? 8:31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him. and Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? 10:15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

So then we have this premise spelled out for us clearly. However my friend, you'll notice that there's no plain nor clear scripture reguarding those who haven't heard the Gospel.

We do have somewhat of a glimpse into the understanding of man on this matter. Romans 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith. 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; 1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened

Maybe some of you who have gone deeper into the word on this subject would comment...

walked
Jan 3rd 2008, 01:06 AM
Hi mkor4 (http://bibleforums.org/member.php?u=25090)

I'de like to add something here too

First that there is no end to Gods grace and mercy to all of His creatures and creation, that includes all men and woman saved or unsaved.

Second as much as God has revealed Himself to me thus far in my life I think God makes big notes and treats differently souls that reject Christ and souls that have never had an opportunity to have Christ presented to them, which brings me to my first point again... there is no end to the mercy and grace of God towards His creation, He created souls and, I am positive that He will judge a soul that rejects Christ quit differently than a soul that was never introduced to Christ and, of course I believe and scripture confirms that souls that did receive Christ will definably be judged and rewarded differently dependent upon their participation in the building of Christ kingdom while they walked on earth.

Athanasius
Jan 3rd 2008, 01:13 AM
To be quite frank with you, there is only the definate answer that if someone hears the Gospel, then rejects it, he is most surely on his or her way to hell. John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

I also know that (and I am not saying this to start a debate or derailing) if a child who cannot comprehend the Gospel dies, there is eternal life for that child also. Romans 4:13 For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith. 4:14 For if they which are of the law be heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect: 4:15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.

I can also say that in order to hear the Gospel, it needs to be preached. Acts 8:30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest? 8:31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him. and Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? 10:15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

So then we have this premise spelled out for us clearly. However my friend, you'll notice that there's no plain nor clear scripture reguarding those who haven't heard the Gospel.

We do have somewhat of a glimpse into the understanding of man on this matter. Romans 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith. 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; 1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened

Maybe some of you who have gone deeper into the word on this subject would comment...

I have to agree with everything you said; my thoughts are currently sitting with these scripture references.

RoadWarrior
Jan 3rd 2008, 08:18 PM

First that there is no end to Gods grace and mercy to all of His creatures and creation, ....

Second ...there is no end to the mercy and grace of God towards His creation, ...

Hi Mkor,

Walked makes a good point here. God wants to be merciful to His creation. From my experience, we access His mercy by entering into His family, by being born again.

People have different ideas about hell, but whatever is true about that, it's clear that we don't want to go there! Many people come to God because they hear about hell and want to escape it. Others come because they hear of the love of God and want to experience more of that.

Many of us, me included, were living a kind of hell on earth; becoming born again delivered us from our earthly torments, into a place of healing and peace and growth. I was both fearful of hell, and attracted to God's love. It was His love that really drew me. It is that love which gives me peace and relieved my fear of hell.

Joe King
Jan 4th 2008, 05:57 AM
I have a friend who was born and raised in the swamp land of Africa. No one knew the name of Jesus, nor had they heard the gospel. But my friend used to climb up a tree and sit on the highest branches and listen to the wind. He would spend hours there every day, and the wind would speak to him, teaching him many things, and would tell him of a Savior. My friend would say back to the wind, "Save me." The wind was the Holy Spirit. When my friend came to America, he was asked if he knew Jesus, and he said no. So he was invited to church, and as they spoke of Jesus from the Bible, it would often be word for word what the wind had spoken to him in the tree tops. What was interesting to me was that my friend knew more of Jesus than those who had brought him to church! The only thing he was missing was Jesus' name... If my friend would have died before hearing the name of Jesus, he still would have gone to be with Jesus.

Many know of "the God above all gods" (cp. Acts 17:16-34), though not all seek fellowship with Him and Him alone. Not all love His word. Read Romans 1-3, for Paul talks of this very thing there.

And hell is a very real place. It is a glorious reality! By it we see the burning jealousy of our Husband for us (Prov. 6:34; Song 8:6-7)!

- Lk.11

That is a great story you wrote/lived. You should share it everywhere!:pp