PDA

View Full Version : Mat 24:20 - why the Sabbath?

soldierotc
Jan 5th 2008, 04:44 AM
:spin:
Matthew 24:20
Pray that your flight will not take place in winter or on the Sabbath.

Winter seems pretty clear to me, but why the Sabbath?
Hopefully, I won't make myself look too dumb on this one, but I am interested to learn why.

Allegra
Jan 5th 2008, 05:29 AM

Hopefully, I won't make myself look too dumb on this one, but I am interested to learn why.
Well, Matthew wrote the statements of Jesus to a Jewish Christian audience. Because he was Jewish. So I don't analyze the "Sabbath" too much, only to recognize it was more to the Jewish readers. And perhaps it's bc they still observed the Law & were supposed to rest on the Sabbath. Whereas you don't find in Luke's gospel (in the Olivet discourse parallel) mention of the Sabbath, bc Luke was a Gentile Christian & addressed a more gentile audience.

Soj
Jan 5th 2008, 11:07 AM

Hopefully, I won't make myself look too dumb on this one, but I am interested to learn why.This passage of scripture concerns the abomination of desolation (Matt 24:15) and the coming Tribulation period (Matt 24:21), the "flight" is running away from it! It is argued that if it was the Sabbath they would violate it by travelling more than a "Sabbath's day journey," but that interpretation is a bit strained. If the Sabbath is "made for man" (Mark 2:27) and the "Son of man is Lord also of the Sabbath" (Mark 2:28) why would it be "breaking the sabbath" to run from the Antichrist till you were out of breath?

ross3421
Jan 5th 2008, 03:13 PM

Thanks for the question....... The destruction of Babylon will occur in winter ansd upon the sabbath, why the sabbath?

The sabbath day is when all upon the earth comes to this city to worship the king (AC) and thus they will be gathered in one central location. Those which survive Babylon's destruction are later taken into the valley and anilated.

We see in chapter 17 the evidence that there were past sabbaths whereby the inhabinants came to worship as the city is adorned in purple and scarlet which are the gifts of the people as in times past. In addition, we see those which trade by the sea have come from thier ships unto the city for worship but STAND afar off and cast dust upon thier heads due to this destruction.

So again, the sabbath is a time the inhabinants are gathered together around the city so they first hand can witness God's power and destruction at a symbolic time when they come and worship a king whom they believe is all powerful.

Mark

ShirleyFord
Jan 5th 2008, 03:16 PM

Luke 21:20 And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.

21 Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.

Matthew 24:16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:

17 Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:

18 Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.

19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!

20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:

Neh 7:3 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=16&CHAP=7&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=3) And I said unto them, Let not the gates of Jerusalem be opened until the sun be hot; and while they stand by, let them shut the doors, and bar them: and appoint watches of the inhabitants of Jerusalem, every one in his watch, and every one to be over against his house.

Neh 13:19 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=16&CHAP=13&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=19) And it came to pass, that when the gates of Jerusalem began to be dark before the sabbath, I commanded that the gates should be shut, and charged that they should not be opened till after the sabbath: and some of my servants set I at the gates, that there should no burden be brought in on the sabbath day.

ross3421
Jan 5th 2008, 03:39 PM
Luke 21:20 And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.

21 Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.

17 Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:

19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!

20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:

Neh 7:3 And I said unto them, <FONT color=blue>Let not the gates of Jerusalem be opened until the sun be hot; and while they stand by, let them shut the doors, and bar them: and appoint watches of the inhabitants of Jerusalem, every one%

Who will be able to hear these words and see these signs during this time to escape his wrath upon this city?

diffangle
Jan 5th 2008, 03:50 PM
[quote=ShirleyFord;1490646]Luke 21:20 And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.

Neh 7:3 And I said unto them, <FONT color=blue>Let not the gates of Jerusalem be opened until the sun be hot; and while they stand by, let them shut the doors, and bar them: and appoint watches of the inhabitants of Jerusalem, every one%

The gates of Jerusalem stay open on the Sabbath nowadays.

ShirleyFord
Jan 5th 2008, 04:05 PM
Who will be able to hear these words and see these signs during this time to escape his wrath upon this city?

According to historical records, those who believed the words of Christ who heard and then obeyed Him.

ShirleyFord
Jan 5th 2008, 04:34 PM
[quote]

The gates of Jerusalem stay open on the Sabbath nowadays.

We find that Nehemiah put that law in place less than 500 years before Jesus gave those instructions. Whether that law to close the gates of Jerusalem before the weekly Sabbath began and open them after it had ended was still in place less than 500 yrs. later at the time of the earthly ministry of Christ during the first century, the Bible doesn't say.

But that would be a reason for Jesus to instruct His listeners to pray that their flight not be on the sabbath day if that were still the case so they could leave Jerusalem freely and quickly.

Some have suggested that it was because of the Phariseeic law of "a sabbath's day journey" that we find recorded only once in the Bible in Acts 1:12 "Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey."

There is nothing written in the OT or the NT to explain what a sabbath day's journey meant or if it were even a law of any kind. We don't find anyone breaking it or the Jewish leaders enforcing it if it were one of their laws.

diffangle
Jan 5th 2008, 05:11 PM
There is nothing written in the OT or the NT to explain what a sabbath day's journey meant or if it were even a law of any kind. We don't find anyone breaking it or the Jewish leaders enforcing it if it were one of their laws.

Deut 5:14 could indicate what a Sabbath's day journey is...

Deu 5:14 (http://cf.blb.org/search/getBible.cfm?b=Deu&c=5&v=14&version=KJV#14)But the seventh day the sabbath of YHWH thy God: [in it] thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that [is] within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou.

The "within thy gates" is the Hebrew word [I]sha`ar (Strong's H8179) meaning...

1) gate
a) gate (of entrance)
b) gate (of space inside gate, i.e. marketplace, public meeting place)
1) city, town

Imo, I interpret Him as saying that it wouldn't be good to have to break the Sabbath by having to flee instead of resting. I'm not saying that He's saying "don't flee"... just that it would be preferable to keep the Sabbath rather than having to break the Sabbath. We can see in the future that Sabbath-keeping will still be observed...

Isa 66:23 (http://cf.blueletterbible.org/search/getBible.cfm?b=Isa&c=66&v=23&version=KJV#23)And it shall come to pass, [that] from one new moon to another, and from one Sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before Me, saith YHWH.

ShirleyFord
Jan 5th 2008, 07:30 PM
Deut 5:14 could indicate what a Sabbath's day journey is...

Deu 5:14 (http://cf.blb.org/search/getBible.cfm?b=Deu&c=5&v=14&version=KJV#14)But the seventh day the sabbath of YHWH thy God: [in it] thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that [is] within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou.

The "within thy gates" is the Hebrew word [I]sha`ar (Strong's H8179) meaning...

1) gate
a) gate (of entrance)
b) gate (of space inside gate, i.e. marketplace, public meeting place)
1) city, town

When we study the law of the sabbath from the OT, I don't see how "a sabbath day's journey" would apply. I believe "within thy gates" that you cited in Deu 5:14 would mean an entrance to their own habitations, dwelling places.

Moses instructs Israel about keeping the law in Deuteronomy after they get into the promised land of Canaan that he has taught them and instructed them throughout their 40 yrs. in the wilderness:

Deuteronomy 5:12 Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee.

13 Six days thou shalt labor, and do all thy work:

14 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou.

15 And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day.

Exodus 16:29 See, for that the LORD hath given you the sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.

30 So the people rested on the seventh day.

Exodus 16:29 "let not man go out of his place" seems to be saying the same thing as Deuteronomy 5:14 "within thy gates".

Ex 20:10 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=2&CHAP=20&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=10) But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

And "throughout your habitations":

Ex 35:3 (http://bibledatabase.org/cgi-bin/bib_search/bible.cgi?BIBLE=48&BOOK=2&CHAP=35&SEARCH=jesus king lord&Read=Read&FIRST=OK&HV=3) Ye shall kindle no fire throughout your habitations upon the sabbath day.

The law of the sabbath prohibited Israel from doing anything on the sabbath but to stay inside their dwelling places. Those breaking the sabbath were to be killed:

Numbers 15:32 And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day.

33 And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation.

34 And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him.

35 And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp.

36 And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the LORD commanded Moses.

Jesus wasn't teaching about the law of the sabbath in the Olivet Discourse recorded in Matthew 24, Mark 13 and Luke 21. And it is clear that He is speaking about getting out of Judaea where Jerusalem was located by fleeing to the Judaean mountains. And if they were within the midst of the city of Jerusalem, for them to depart out. And those who were outside of the city, not to let them enter in.

Matthew 24:15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand)

16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:

Sounds to me like Jesus is saying that it would be harder for them to depart out of Jerusalem on the sabbath day. But He doesn't explain it since those to who He was speaking understood what He meant evidently.

Shirley

MeerkatMadden
Jan 9th 2008, 09:03 PM
In the end times the followers of God will follow the commandments and will have the testimony of Jesus (please read Rev. 12:17).

So those in the middle of the last move of God will be observing the Sabbath.

The true prophets know this, and they have received messages from the Lord that judgment is coming.

Prophet Tom Deckard (perfect 32 year track record) is warning that a horrible judgment is on the way:

ross3421
Jan 10th 2008, 05:18 AM

Sounds to me like Jesus is saying that it would be harder for them to depart out of Jerusalem on the sabbath day. But He doesn't explain it since those to who He was speaking understood what He meant evidently.

Shirley

This is a clue to the timing of events. We see those traveling "flight" to somewhere. We can determine that they are coming up to Jerusalem (babylon) to worship as for the remark of the sabbath and for those already there to flee. So Babylon will be destroyed in the winter months on the sabbath day.

Still working on the rest of the equation......

diffangle
Jan 10th 2008, 02:34 PM
This is a clue to the timing of events. We see those traveling "flight" to somewhere. We can determine that they are coming up to Jerusalem (babylon) to worship as for the remark of the sabbath and for those already there to flee. So Babylon will be destroyed in the winter months on the sabbath day.

Still working on the rest of the equation......
Mat 24:36 (http://www.blueletterbible.org/cgi-bin/popup.pl?book=Mat&chapter=24&verse=36&version=kjv#36)¶But of that day and hour knoweth no [man], no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

ross3421
Jan 10th 2008, 07:34 PM
Mat 24:36 (http://www.blueletterbible.org/cgi-bin/popup.pl?book=Mat&chapter=24&verse=36&version=kjv#36)¶But of that day and hour knoweth no [man], no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

Thanks for the verse........ do you know why this is so? Tell me how can the Son nor angels which are in heaven not know of this day or see it coming?

In addition, scripture gives us timing right up to the very time in which Christ will return so we definately know the seasons but why will we not know the day?........

Do not be so quick to answer as it is a loaded question. Take some time to study the events which occur when Christ returns and what takes place to the things we see today.

Mark

Soj
Jan 10th 2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the verse........ do you know why this is so? Tell me how can the Son nor angels which are in heaven not know of this day or see it coming?

In addition, scripture gives us timing right up to the very time in which Christ will return so we definately know the seasons but why will we not know the day?........

Do not be so quick to answer as it is a loaded question. Take some time to study the events which occur when Christ returns and what takes place to the things we see today.

MarkPlease go ahead and give us your interpretation of why we will not know the day, Mark?

ross3421
Jan 11th 2008, 12:54 AM
Please go ahead and give us your interpretation of why we will not know the day, Mark?

From a previous thread.......

Most of us have been in the understanding that no one knows the day nor the hour due to that fact of God omnipotence and for that reason his feeble creation could not possible know the timing of Jesus's return. However, if you look at the verse we see that not even the angels will know the time for that matter NOT EVEN CHRIST HIMSELF! UM.....

How in the world could not even the the son of God not know the timing of his own return?

Mark 13:32 But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.

Alright, let start by looking at the events prior to Christ's return. Well we see some dramatic changes to this world. We see that just prior to Christ's return the sun is blackened, moon becomes as blood, and the stars fall from heaven and even heaven departing.

Re 6:12 And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;
Re 6:13 And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.
Re 6:14 And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.

Now we know that Christ not only comes as a "thief" to kill in destroy but that he comes as a "thief in the night" ! A literal night.

2pe 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

Ac 2:19 And I will show wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke:
Ac 2:20 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come:

Now for the answer........

How do we tell time? the sun, the moon, the stars. But what happens to these prior to Christ's return? lights out.

No one could possible know the day nor the hour because Christ will return when there will be no day no hour.

It is not that we won't know the time (i.e Kairos) of what is about to happen and that the time is at hand, we just won't know the time which can be measured (i.e. Chronos or Hora) for the things which this could be measured are vanished away.

In Christ, Mark

Nihil Obstat
Jan 11th 2008, 01:41 AM

I think that history gives a clear example of why we ought to pray that this won't occur on the Sabbath: 167 BCE (http://www.bibarch.com/Chronology/Hellenistic/H-Period.htm) (orthodox Jews would not fight back against Antiochus IV Epiphanes). I think that this was a foreshadowing of what Jesus warned about in Matt. 24:20.

RJ Mac
Jan 15th 2008, 05:22 PM
Why not the Sabbath? Most people went to Jerusalem Friday for the Sabbath and the gates were closed. The abomination of desolation was the Roman army and when that was realized people were commanded by Christ to flee from Palestine - 24:16; If they were in Jerusalem on the Sabbath they would not be able to flee, gates closed and thus perish with all the Jews who stayed and perished in the destruction of Jerusalem.

This text makes no sense today because the prophecy is local, only for those living in Israel, no bearing on us today. If it is about the return of Christ, why are we fleeing, where can one flee to from God? This is prophecy about a physical destruction that Christians needed to flee from and it has happened which only confirms Jesus words in Mt.24:34 this generation will by no means pass away until all these things take place.

When Jesus comes again there is no fleeing, Lk.17:26-37 no command to flee, in fact vs.33 whoever seeks to save his life will lose it, the opposite of what Jesus taught in Mt.24:16; This text in Lk.17 is about the next coming of Christ and takes up where Matthew left off in Mt.24:36 - Two people standing one taken the other left - this is yet to come - and this is something you can't flee from. So it only makes sense to see Mt.24:1-35 was all fulfilled with 70 AD and we await the return of our Lord - which day no one knows, Mt.24:36-44

Yes there are difficult passages vs.29-31 these are apocalyptic and are easily explained in light of the history of the time.

RJ Mac

Romulus
Jan 16th 2008, 07:31 PM
Why not the Sabbath? Most people went to Jerusalem Friday for the Sabbath and the gates were closed. The abomination of desolation was the Roman army and when that was realized people were commanded by Christ to flee from Palestine - 24:16; If they were in Jerusalem on the Sabbath they would not be able to flee, gates closed and thus perish with all the Jews who stayed and perished in the destruction of Jerusalem.

This text makes no sense today because the prophecy is local, only for those living in Israel, no bearing on us today. If it is about the return of Christ, why are we fleeing, where can one flee to from God? This is prophecy about a physical destruction that Christians needed to flee from and it has happened which only confirms Jesus words in Mt.24:34 this generation will by no means pass away until all these things take place.

When Jesus comes again there is no fleeing, Lk.17:26-37 no command to flee, in fact vs.33 whoever seeks to save his life will lose it, the opposite of what Jesus taught in Mt.24:16; This text in Lk.17 is about the next coming of Christ and takes up where Matthew left off in Mt.24:36 - Two people standing one taken the other left - this is yet to come - and this is something you can't flee from. So it only makes sense to see Mt.24:1-35 was all fulfilled with 70 AD and we await the return of our Lord - which day no one knows, Mt.24:36-44

Yes there are difficult passages vs.29-31 these are apocalyptic and are easily explained in light of the history of the time.

RJ Mac

The escape to the mountains historically occurred in 67 A.D. Would you agree as well that this could not be a world wide event as the warning was only given to Judea and to flee to the mountains? Historically when the Roman armies surrounded Jerusalem (abomination) they for an unknown reason left the city giving the believers of Jesus's warning the last chance to escape. The believers left the city and escaped to the mountains of Pella just as Jesus prophecied they should. A short time later the Roman armies returned, surrounded the city and began the tribulation against Jerusalem that lasted 3.5 years or 42 months until the city and the temple were destroyed in August of 70 A.D. At this point anyone who left the city was killed.

I believe this fullfills Jesus's prophecy exactly and within a biblical generation of 40 years.

sudds
Jan 16th 2008, 09:32 PM
Jesus' use of the word "sabbath" in Matthew 24:20 has no explicit meaning, other than being a part of the spiritual language He is using to make a point. The Old Testament is full of this kind of language. For example....

Isaiah 11:8. The infant will play near the hole of the cobra, and the young child put his hand into the viper's nest.

Concerning the above verse......would you try to take the word "infant" or "hand" or "viper's nest" and try to find an explicit meaning? No. In fact, if you look at the context of Isaiah 11, you'll find that it is talking about the peace and tranquility humanity will have when our enemy becomes powerless against us. In other words......we're free from Satan's grasp as if a small child could safely put his hand in a viper's nest.

Now back to Matthew 24 and the word "sabbath." Let's list the verses.

Matthew 24:16. then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains.
Matthew 24:17. Let no one on the roof of his house go down to take anything out of the house.
Matthew 24:18. Let no one in the field go back to get his cloak.
Matthew 24:19. How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers!
Matthew 24:20. Pray your flight will not take place in winter or on the Sabbath.

I think what Jesus is saying in the above verses is........a very serious situation is about to occur. That situation was when the Son of God was handed over to sin and was forsaken by His Father. It appeared that Satan, who is the "abomination that causes desolation" was in control of the universe for 3 days. This was the "Great Tribulation" experienced by the spiritual world including the godly saints who lived and died before the cross.

No spiritual or physical being knew exactly the redemptive plan of God (I Peter 1:12). Now think about it. If you were a godly saint or an angel and saw your only hope of salvation hanging on a cross and "numbered with the transgressors.......wouldn't you be in a distressed state???? It was indeed a tribulation.

All the physical world witnessed was a man being crucified. Yet, we, as believers, can now go back and read and understand it

Matthew 24:15....................let the reader understand.

IMHO.

IBWatching
Jan 16th 2008, 10:07 PM

Jesus was talking to His Disciples (all Jews) about the generation of Jews who would live to see all that He spoke about in Matthew 24 fulfilled (24:34). This was not written to/about the Church. The very passage you are questioning confirms this, as gentiles in the Church neither have interest in nor observe the Sabbath. That last generation of Jews before He Returns again to the earth will, however. It is for their benefit that He gave the warning.