PDA

View Full Version : Jesus Explained the Love that Fulfills the Law

Jesus-Is-Real
Jan 5th 2008, 08:55 PM
I've seen another thread about The Law of God and rather than beginning a new line of thought there, it seemed good to start a new one.

Jesus, did explained the Love that Fulfills the Law. And it goes hand in hand with God's Love and Grace which can be manifested through us by His Holy Spirit, being in Christ.

Jesus explained to His disciples the God-kind of love they were commanded to walk in to fulfill the requirements of the law. And He lifted up His eyes on His disciples, and said: “Love Your Enemies, Do Good To Them Which Hate You…and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again…And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise…and if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? For sinners also do even the same…But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again…And Your Reward Shall Be Great, And Ye Shall Be The Children Of The Highest: for He is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil. Be ye therefore merciful as your Father also is merciful” (Luke 6:20, 27-36).

You manifest the nature of God when you love your neighbor as yourself. The reason these Scriptures sound like a foreign language to most people today is because they will not fit into today’s carnal doctrines.

We must be obedient to the Holy Spirit and the Word of God in order to be perfected in God’s love.

~
Does that make sense to anyone here?

blueshadow
Jan 5th 2008, 11:48 PM
It makes sense to me.

If we love others, we will probably obey the old Law without meaning to. Bearing false witness against your neighbor is not loving them. If you love them, you will tell the truth. Etc. etc.

At the same time, though, love definitely takes effort. It means putting others ahead of ourselves even if we don't want to, forgiving countless times, and listening when we would much rather do something else, among other things. Some people we find very easy to love, but others we cannot love on our own. Sometimes we're going to have to love people we find really annoying or worse, because the Holy Spirit tells us to. So the Holy Spirit gives us the help we need, if we ask for it.

Studyin'2Show
Jan 6th 2008, 01:28 PM
If we love others, we will probably obey the old Law without meaning to. Bearing false witness against your neighbor is not loving them. If you love them, you will tell the truth. Etc. etc. This hits the nail right on the head, IMO. Yeshua (Jesus) never says that the Law is bad but that the key is love. The religious leaders had led the people to a dark place where love was not even in the equation. Plus they had added so much in their tradition, that these traditions had become a burden.

We have to careful with this topic because it can easily turn into a Law vs. Grace thread (Grace vs. Works) which unfortunately, often gets so heated that it gets closed or moved to Controversial Issues which not everyone has access to. I personally believe there is a delicate balance between the two. My podcast is called 'FaithWorks' because I discuss that balance. Our faith should have legs on it. In other words, If I really have faith and love then would I walk by a starving man and not offer him food? If I really have faith and love can I commit adultery as a habit and not recognize that it's against God's will? Can I consistently lie to people and not feel I've done anything wrong?

James 2:14-18
14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.

God Bless!

Beloved by God
Jan 6th 2008, 10:15 PM
Acts 13:37 But he, whom God raised again, saw no corruption.
38 Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins:
39 And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.

Jesus uses grace to cleanse us when we mess up, but The Law is the guideline we should be following.

Ebenezer
Jan 8th 2008, 12:08 AM
Yes I totally agree that we should keep the law, and that Love is what the Law is all about. But what do we do with Exodus 20:8-11? If love is the fulfillment of the law what about the Sabbath? Where does that come into play, if we know that the law was never done away with, then doesn't the Sabbath deal with our love for God? Shouldn't we still keep the Sabbath, and why does the majority of main stream Christianity ignore it?

Studyin'2Show
Jan 8th 2008, 12:19 AM
I enjoy the Sabbath that God has made FOR man, but many do not see it that way.

faithworks
Jan 12th 2008, 12:57 PM
That is so true. In our society everything is so busy! It seems that many feel that they do not have time to give a whole day to God or even an hour a week. It is sad. I was talking with my husband the other day about the busyness in this world and what would Jesus do if He was here in our day? There is no way that He would ever get too busy to commune with the Father. Is it really too much to ask for one day a week to dedicate totally to God and time with Him? After all when Jesus was here He dedicated His whole life to us.

There is another that I don't see much of anymore.
Matthew 17:21
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you
21 Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.

Psalms 39:13

But as for me, when they were sick, my clothing [was] sackcloth: I humbled my soul with fasting; and my prayer returned into mine own bosom.

Daniel 9:3

And I set my face unto the Lord God, to seek by prayer and supplications, with fasting, and sackcloth, and ashes:

Mark 9:29

And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.

1 Corinthians 7:5
Defraud ye not one the other, except [it be] with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.

The fasting and prayer are also ignored by many. I have talked to many Christians and they wonder why they don't have the power in the Lord as Jesus did. One of my questions to them is, "How much time do you spend with the Lord? in prayer?in study?just in His presence with nothing else on your mind just Him? and then the question, "When is the last time that you fasted and prayed to God about anything, even just a closer walk?" Many have said,"Never." many have said," I used to".... We need to get back to the basics of the Bible..back to the First Love as was told the churches in the Bible. (I am talking about me also. I am not condemning or judging anyone. This is what the Lord has been dealing with me about and He told me that His children don't take this seriously enough.)

We say that we want to walk like Jesus walked but we forget the price that He paid.(His Life) To walk as Jesus walked we must give up our life also. The pleasures in this world are only for a season but what we do with Jesus and our life is eternal. It is hard at first to know how to give up our life but what I have found is if I spend time with God and let Him know that He means more to me than anything on this earth then He will show me. There will be things that I don't want to hear or change but if I truly want to follow Him totally and completely then I must. I have heard so many pray ,
"Lord, send me I will go..I will do anything for you." I have been there also and then HE comes and opens a door for us to go through and it is something that we really don't want to do so we keep asking if it is His Will and we come to the conclusion that this can't be God if it were I would know for sure. :hmm: That is just were the enemy wants to keep us thinking that we are doing all that we can do for God without stepping out into those areas that we don't know where they lead.
We need to be like Abraham was leaving everything and going where he knew not but just following the leading of the Lord. Can you imagine taking our family across the country not knowing for sure where you are going but just going on the Word from the Lord.

Is God calling you to step out into the unknown with Him? If you don't then you will miss where He really wants you to be and the blessings that He has for you there.

Remember whenever God calls you to do something there is people that can only be reached through you. Nobody can be just like you. God made you special and He has a special work for you that nobody else can do like you can. I want to know that I am doing all that God wants me to do and going where He wants me to go and not get caught up in my agenda but lose that and have only God's agenda.

Matthew 17:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

Luke 1:35
And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

verse 26
And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren.

verse 37
For with God nothing shall be impossible.

verse 38
And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her.

Are we like Mary saying unto God "be it unto me according to thy word. "
no matter what He is asking us to do or asking us to go.

May God bless you all and draw you closer to Him
Teresa

TEITZY
Jan 13th 2008, 06:08 AM
John 14:15 “If you love Me, keep My commandments."

It's our love for Christ that motivates us to obedience, thus the law is fulfilled or obeyed in that respect.

Cheers
Leigh

Jesus-Is-Real
Jan 14th 2008, 02:29 AM
John 14:15 “If you love Me, keep My commandments."

It's our love for Christ that motivates us to obedience, thus the law is fulfilled or obeyed in that respect.

Cheers
Leigh

Yes though it includes our neighbors as well. In other words, if you also walk in Love toward others, God sees the Whole Law fulfilled in you - including keeping the Sabbaths - because you entered into peace with others and rested from your own past works (selfishness, self-centeredness) by laying down your own self-interests and rules that flesh loves to institute on others. Which is only a false peace and security. But when your merciful and loving your enemy God sees in your heart/life that you are not a law breaker, that includes the letter of the law of Sabbath keeping.

Loving our neighbor as ourself - which fulfills the Whole Royal Law of Christ:
“Love Your Enemies, Do Good To Them Which Hate You…and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again…And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise…and if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? For sinners also do even the same…But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again…And Your Reward Shall Be Great, And Ye Shall Be The Children Of The Highest: for He is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil. Be ye therefore merciful as your Father also is merciful” (Luke 6:20, 27-36).

TEITZY
Jan 14th 2008, 03:10 AM
Yes though it includes our neighbors as well. In other words, if you also walk in Love toward others, God sees the Whole Law fulfilled in you - including keeping the Sabbaths - because you entered into peace with others and rested from your own past works (selfishness, self-centeredness) by laying down your own self-interests and rules that flesh loves to institute on others. Which is only a false peace and security. But when your merciful and loving your enemy God sees in your heart/life that you are not a law breaker, that includes the letter of the law of Sabbath keeping.

Loving our neighbor as ourself - which fulfills the Whole Royal Law of Christ:
“Love Your Enemies, Do Good To Them Which Hate You…and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again…And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise…and if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? For sinners also do even the same…But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again…And Your Reward Shall Be Great, And Ye Shall Be The Children Of The Highest: for He is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil. Be ye therefore merciful as your Father also is merciful” (Luke 6:20, 27-36).

Indeed, but loving Christ or God is also loving your neighbour or enemy since that is Christ's example as well as His command as you have pointed out in Luke 6. If I truly love God, I will also love others:

1 John 3:17: But whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?

1 John 4:20-21: If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen? And this commandment we have from Him: that he who loves God must love his brother also.

So you see the two are mutually inclusive concepts.

Cheers
Leigh

Jesus-Is-Real
Jan 14th 2008, 08:29 PM
Indeed, but loving Christ or God is also loving your neighbour or enemy since that is Christ's example as well as His command as you have pointed out in Luke 6. If I truly love God, I will also love others:

1 John 3:17: But whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?

1 John 4:20-21: If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen? And this commandment we have from Him: that he who loves God must love his brother also.

So you see the two are mutually inclusive concepts.

Cheers
Leigh

You got it; The Whole Word of God hugs :hug: and kisses :kiss: itself perfectly in showing The Love of God. The bottom Line is Who Jesus Really Is; He's really Love.

God bless you richly, Leigh.

Matt 12:30 He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.