PDA

View Full Version : Whats the meaning of this Parable

Lars777
Jan 6th 2008, 06:21 AM
And he said, "With what can we compare the kingdom of God, or what parable shall we use for it? It is like a grain of mustard seed, which, when sown upon the ground, is the smallest of all the seeds on earth; yet when it is sown it grows up and becomes the greatest of all shrubs, and puts forth large branches, so that the birds of the air can make nests in its shade." (Mark 4:30-32)

Zorgblar
Jan 6th 2008, 06:29 AM
And he said, "With what can we compare the kingdom of God, or what parable shall we use for it? It is like a grain of mustard seed, which, when sown upon the ground, is the smallest of all the seeds on earth; yet when it is sown it grows up and becomes the greatest of all shrubs, and puts forth large branches, so that the birds of the air can make nests in its shade." (Mark 4:30-32)

Im not 100% sure but i think this parable is just saying how wonderful heaven is.That's my guess anyway.

Ayala
Jan 6th 2008, 06:31 AM
I believe it's referencing the church (followers) of God on earth, who are that which is the Kingdom of God. They were first sown upon the earth and were few...But through time, the Kingdom grows, flurishes, and is sustained by the blood of Christ. Just MHO.

Gulah Papyrus
Jan 6th 2008, 04:48 PM
I understand it as saying that the "Kingdom" starts with your simple decision to receive Christ as your Lord and Savior, and that as your faith in, and relationship with Him grows the amount of wonderous splender that it will yield and the number of people it will touch will be greater than you could ever imagine.

I also like the idea that the Kingdom of Heaven is 'in progress'. It's alive and always growing. Awesome.

Jesusinmyheart
Jan 6th 2008, 05:53 PM
Lars777,

I was reading Daniel last night, and think there's some symbolic resemblance to certain scriptures in Daniel.

Dan 2:31 "You saw, O king, and behold, a great image. This image, mighty and of exceeding brightness, stood before you, and its appearance was frightening.
Dan 2:32 The head of this image was of fine gold, its chest and arms of silver, its middle and thighs of bronze,
Dan 2:33 its legs of iron, its feet partly of iron and partly of clay.
Dan 2:34 As you looked, a stone was cut out by no human hand, and it struck the image on its feet of iron and clay, and broke them in pieces.
Dan 2:35 Then the iron, the clay, the bronze, the silver, and the gold, all together were broken in pieces, and became like the chaff of the summer threshing floors; and the wind carried them away, so that not a trace of them could be found. But the stone that struck the image became a great mountain and filled the whole earth.
Dan 2:36 "This was the dream. Now we will tell the king its interpretation.

Shalom,
Tanja

drew
Jan 7th 2008, 03:47 AM
I am quite confident that this parable is not about "heaven, but is rather about the state of affairs here on earth. I will guess that this parable is about how, over, human history, the Kingdom of God will slowly and surrepticiously win the fight the other "kingdoms" that are at work in the world and at odds with the Kingdom of God.

The Kingdom of God was initiated by Jesus who, in a sense, brought a little of the future redemption of all creation (Romans 8:18 and following) backward from the future into the world of 2000 years ago. Even though God will act spectacularly and dramatically in the future at the return of Christ, there is still a degree to which that future world "breaks into the present" - heaven occasionally overlaps with this world. And when this happen, the Kingdom of God grows.

Brother Mark
Jan 7th 2008, 03:53 AM

We know from earlier parables in Mark 4 who the birds of the air are. The church gets big, and the birds of the air find rest in her because she doesn't necessarily walk correctly.

DaveS
Jan 7th 2008, 04:02 AM
Eze 17:22 Thus saith the Lord GOD; I will also take of the highest branch of the high cedar, and will set it; I will crop off from the top of his young twigs a tender one, and will plant it upon an high mountain and eminent:
Eze 17:23 In the mountain of the height of Israel will I plant it: and it shall bring forth boughs, and bear fruit, and be a goodly cedar: and under it shall dwell all fowl of every wing; in the shadow of the branches thereof shall they dwell.
Eze 17:24 And all the trees of the field shall know that I the LORD have brought down the high tree, have exalted the low tree, have dried up the green tree, and have made the dry tree to flourish: I the LORD have spoken and have done it.

Brother Mark
Jan 7th 2008, 01:32 PM
Didn't the early church grow by thousands at pentecost?

Just a note, the parable still says the kingdom of God is like the mustard seed. It's still His kingdom. Still faith. But we all get off track at times, hence the birds of the air. Doesn't mean Jesus wants to throw out the mustard seed or the resulting plant. ;)

Brother Mark
Jan 7th 2008, 03:50 PM
Moved to contro.

RoadWarrior
Jan 7th 2008, 05:08 PM
You are absolutly right in that Jesus Himself said "Do you not understand this parable? How then will you understand all the parables?" (Mark 4:13
of course He was speaking of the parable of the sower or the soils if you will.

The key to understanding all the parables that follow are right here in the very first one.

Great insights Lars, thanks.

threebigrocks
Jan 7th 2008, 09:50 PM
It's saying that that tiny, tiny seed can produce something big enough to support life, a place for the birds to find rest.

We are also told that the Lord takes care of the birds of the air and the plants of the field - how much more will He care for those who belong to Him.

If the birds of the air can nest into what becomes of that one seed, then how much more will that one seed (Galatians 3:16, for starters) provide for those that are more valuable than the birds?

Teke
Jan 8th 2008, 07:21 PM

Reminds me of my Lord in humble beginnings. :saint:
The parable contrasts humble beginnings with a bountiful crop. Jesus begins with poor fishermen, but in a few years the Christian faith will spread throughout the Roman Empire and beyond. The work of God may involve apparently insignificant people and circumstances, but the possibilities are limitless because of God's power.

That being said, Jesus' followers must always be prepared for the "long haul". Jewish expectations in Jesus' day were for the Kingdom to appear suddenly and fully. But God's Kingdom takes time to grow and mature through adversity, and when it is fully formed it will be even greater than expected. :)