PDA

View Full Version : Angels

tma66
Jan 8th 2008, 07:57 PM
I hear alot about Gurardian Angels. I know there are angels but is there really guardian angels that help and with someone at all times?

Athanasius
Jan 8th 2008, 07:59 PM
I've been saved quite a few times by these 'angels' you speak of ;)
But are they around all the time? Scripturally. . .

David Taylor
Jan 8th 2008, 10:58 PM
I hear alot about Gurardian Angels. I know there are angels but is there really guardian angels that help and with someone at all times?

The term 'guardian angel' is a extra-biblical myth that is assumed by many to be derived from the Bible.

The Bible, however, never mentions the notion that all people have an individual guardian angel....

The closest the Bible comes to that myth, is telling us that God can dispatch angels to help us, if He chooses to do so.

Psalms 91:9 "Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation; There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling. For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone. Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet. Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name. He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him. "

Satan quoted part of this stone, when tempting Jesus in the desert attempting to trick Jesus.

Didn't work....Jesus wrote the Book.

Nihil Obstat
Jan 8th 2008, 11:38 PM
Don't forget about Matt. 18:10!

tma66
Jan 9th 2008, 01:06 AM
thanks for the info...so the bible doesnt mention guardian angels? just very confused because i see books on the subject and magazine articles etc.

TEITZY
Jan 9th 2008, 01:39 AM
Not sure if I would go as far to say that the idea of guardian angels is an "extra-biblical myth", though it may be non-Biblical (not explicitly stated in the scriptures) we certainly see that angels are very closely associated with believers and the Church in particular (Heb 1:14; Mat 18:10; Acts 12:7). The concept of individual guardian angels seems to be a Jewish idea (see Acts 12:15).

Cheers
Leigh

walked
Jan 9th 2008, 05:03 AM
In some ancient writings are angels named watchers ?

And watching man and the goings on, on earth to report to God. This may be a place where the concept of guardian angels arrived from ?

just my off the cuff thoughts

Tanya~
Jan 9th 2008, 05:57 AM
The term "guardian angels" as previously stated is not Scriptural. The idea that each person has a personal angel assigned to them (which is what people think of when they think of a guardian angel) is also not Scriptural.

With that said, it is true that angels are active in ministering to believers:

Heb 1:14
Are they not all ministering spirits sent forth to minister for those who will inherit salvation?

The problem with these books and articles about angels, is that they tend to put a lot more emphasis on the angels than on God, or on Jesus. The angels are the agents sent by God. But people focus on the angels, sometimes even to the point of worshiping them. That's probably why we aren't given more information about them than what we have in the Bible.

The 'guardian angels' also are typically portrayed as female people with birdlike wings. This isn't how the Scripture describes them. Those who have appeared on earth in order to bring a message or otherwise minister to men just look like men (sometimes extraordinary, sometimes ordinary), or they are not visible at all.

Heb 13:1-2
Let brotherly love continue. 2 Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels.

Angels are never described as feminine in Scripture.

Equipped_4_Love
Jan 9th 2008, 06:33 AM
I've always wondered where this idea came from, and it appears there is no Biblical proof.

Now I know. Thanks!!:)

Soj
Jan 9th 2008, 07:44 AM
I hear alot about Gurardian Angels. I know there are angels but is there really guardian angels that help and with someone at all times?In the Bible, angels are basically "appearances" (see Acts 7:30, 32; Genesis 32:30; Judges 13:1-20). As appearances, angels are said to 'represent' local-church congregations (Revelation 1-3), or nations (Daniel 12:1, 10:21; Isaiah 63:9). Angels are in heaven in the presence of God (Luke 15:7, 10; Matthew 16:27; 1 Timothy 5:21).

"Guardian angels" seem to be a reality in one sense, and this is the sense in which, on special occasions, they minister to the saints:

Hebrews 1:14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

One ministers to Hagar in Genesis, to Jesus at the temptation, to Paul in Acts 27 on the ship, and to Peter in jail. However, this does not 'assign' an angel to each person!

In Matthew 18:10 a child has an angel in heaven to represent it, which is either a literal angel or else the appearance of the child is in heaven just like a flash on a TV screen where it can be observed.

Matthew 18:10 Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.

We cannot explain these things but we can believe them because God said it!

RevLogos
Jan 9th 2008, 03:55 PM
Angels are biblical but Guardian Angels I think are more traditional and come from only that one verse in the NT quoted above in Matthew.

Angels have always troubled me slightly in that they seem almost mythological. Another race of sentient beings above Human but below God? Must be billions of them but we have names of only a handful.

In Job beginning 1:6 they seem to form some sort of intergalactic governmental body. The angels gather to present themselves to God and Satan steps in uninvited.

Angels, like Man, have free will and the capacity to choose evil, as apparently one third did when they followed Lucifer. This suggests the battle between good and evil is not only being fought on earth, but in heaven as well. Is the other 2/3 watching to see how God deals with evil on earth?

As posted above, I believe they exist because the Bible says they exist. Just much I do not understand.

fightingfalcon
Jan 9th 2008, 07:52 PM
Some have said that the term "guardian angels" is not scriptural.. the term pork is also not biblical but it is clear in the bible that we should not eat pig... my point? The bible speaks many times of providing his angelic host to his people for their needs as in matthew 18
"Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of My Father."

This verse is pretty clear IMO... it speaks of little children and then "their"[possessive] angels... it doesn't say "there are angels", it says "their angels" - I believe this is veyr clear that even little children have a angel assigned them.

Tanya~
Jan 9th 2008, 08:10 PM
That's probably the same reasoning for the whole idea. But the concept of the individually assigned guardian angel encompasses a whole bunch of stuff that the passage in Matthew doesn't say.

Matt 18:10-11
"Take heed that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that in heaven their angels always see the face of My Father who is in heaven. 11 For the Son of Man has come to save that which was lost.
NKJV

There is nothing there to indicate that these angels are guarding the children. If that were the case, then bad things wouldn't happen to children. But bad things do happen to children.

We need to remember that angels act according to God's will and by His command. Angels are messengers, agents, working for Him. Matthew tells us that the angels are before God, beholding His face, not that they are following the little children around watching over them.

fightingfalcon
Jan 9th 2008, 08:16 PM
That's probably the same reasoning for the whole idea. But the concept of the individually assigned guardian angel encompasses a whole bunch of stuff that the passage in Matthew doesn't say.

Matt 18:10-11
"Take heed that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that in heaven their angels always see the face of My Father who is in heaven. 11 For the Son of Man has come to save that which was lost.
NKJV

There is nothing there to indicate that these angels are guarding the children. If that were the case, then bad things wouldn't happen to children. But bad things do happen to children.

We need to remember that angels act according to God's will and by His command. Angels are messengers, agents, working for Him. Matthew tells us that the angels are before God, beholding His face, not that they are following the little children around watching over them.

Bad things wouldn't happen if angels guarded the children continually? That is not biblical... the bible says he maketh rain to fall on the "just and unjust" and he also allows bad things to happen to both good and bad...

Tell me something if these angels are the children's angels which is clearly shown in this verse and if according to you they are not "guarding" them then what exactly are they doing which qualifies them as "their angels" in reference to the children?

"Take heed that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that in heaven their angels always see the face of My Father who is in heaven."

One writer interprets this verse to say that the guardian angels have a direct line to God, in other words they are in complete harmony with God's will and they watch over his children accordingly.

The fact that the children have angels leads me to the conclusion they are there to guard and direct them in accordance with God's will... I can see no other logical reason for the bible presenting them as "their angels"

Tanya~
Jan 9th 2008, 09:18 PM
Tell me something if these angels are the children's angels which is clearly shown in this verse and if according to you they are not "guarding" them then what exactly are they doing which qualifies them as "their angels" in reference to the children?

Look, I don't mean to offend or upset you in any way. I apologize if I have offended you.

It doesn't specifically say in that passage, what they're doing. For all I know, they may be reporting to the Lord the things that happen to the child. It doesn't say they are guarding them. It doesn't say they aren't guarding them.

Scripture tells us what the angels do on our behalf. They are ministering spirits who serve on our behalf.

Heb 1:14
14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent out to render service for the sake of those who will inherit salvation?

Tanya~
Jan 9th 2008, 09:20 PM
Actually here's a passage that I think you'll like: :)

Ps 91:9-13
Because you have made the LORD, who is my refuge,
Even the Most High, your dwelling place,
10 No evil shall befall you,
Nor shall any plague come near your dwelling;
11 For He shall give His angels charge over you,
To keep you in all your ways.
12 In their hands they shall bear you up,
Lest you dash your foot against a stone.
13 You shall tread upon the lion and the cobra,
The young lion and the serpent you shall trample underfoot.
NKJV

Mark F
Jan 9th 2008, 11:32 PM
Tna66,

I was reading yesterday and came across this verse, this is a declaration of at least one group of people who do:

Daniel 10:21

"But I will tell you what is noted in the Scripture of Truth. (No one upholds me against these, except Michael your prince."

Daniel 12:1

ďAt that time Michael shall stand up,The great prince who stands watch over the sons of your people; And there shall be a time of trouble, Such as never was since there was a nation, Even to that time. And at that time your people shall be delivered, Every one who is found written in the book."

There really isn't any actions mentioned, but m2cents worth.

TanyaP,

Could that Psalm you quoted be a prophesy concerning the incarnation of Jesus, seeing Satan quoted it to try and temp our Lord? (just thinkin)

Ebenezer
Jan 10th 2008, 12:39 AM
The Bible does say
Psalms 34:7 The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and delivers them.
Also we are told a story in Acts about Peter being delivered by an angel.

Act 12:1 About that time Herod the king laid violent hands on some who belonged to the church.
Act 12:2 He killed James the brother of John with the sword,
Act 12:3 and when he saw that it pleased the Jews, he proceeded to arrest Peter also. This was during the days of Unleavened Bread.
Act 12:4 And when he had seized him, he put him in prison, delivering him over to four squads of soldiers to guard him, intending after the Passover to bring him out to the people.
Act 12:5 So Peter was kept in prison, but earnest prayer for him was made to God by the church.
Act 12:6 Now when Herod was about to bring him out, on that very night, Peter was sleeping between two soldiers, bound with two chains, and sentries before the door were guarding the prison.
Act 12:7 And behold, an angel of the Lord stood next to him, and a light shone in the cell. He struck Peter on the side and woke him, saying, "Get up quickly." And the chains fell off his hands.
Act 12:8 And the angel said to him, "Dress yourself and put on your sandals." And he did so. And he said to him, "Wrap your cloak around you and follow me."
Act 12:9 And he went out and followed him. He did not know that what was being done by the angel was real, but thought he was seeing a vision.
Act 12:10 When they had passed the first and the second guard, they came to the iron gate leading into the city. It opened for them of its own accord, and they went out and went along one street, and immediately the angel left him.
Act 12:11 When Peter came to himself, he said, "Now I am sure that the Lord has sent his angel and rescued me from the hand of Herod and from all that the Jewish people were expecting."

This is an amazing story of God sending His angels to protect, are there guarding angels? Yes I believe that there are and that they do deliver us from dangerous situations. We cannot see them, but they are there just the same. This story to me is an excellent example of the Lord's love and watch care over the apostle Peter. To me it is an encouragement to know that no matter how big the prison satan is keeping us in, God can still provide us with a way of escape. It is also an amazing testimony to the power of prayer. I think that we could debate the existence of guarding angels for a long time, but the most important thing to realize is that "The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear Him and delivers them." Psalms 34:7

Tanya~
Jan 10th 2008, 01:13 AM
Heya Mark,

Could that Psalm you quoted be a prophesy concerning the incarnation of Jesus, seeing Satan quoted it to try and temp our Lord? (just thinkin)

I think it definitely is prophetic about Jesus. Also it doesn't say 'your angel' but rather, 'angels'

I still don't think that the idea of Guardian Angel is Scriptural but I would be the last one to discount the role of angels in ministering to believers. My main concern though, is that people tend to worship angels, pray to angels, feel close to angels, that sort of thing. Our relationship is with God through the Holy Spirit.

Bick
Jan 10th 2008, 02:29 AM
One verse that is close to saying we have 'guardian angels' is Heb 1:14:

"Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to those who will inheirit salvation?" NIV.

I reason that each of us, as believers, have a ministering angel, who, I'm sure, protects us according to the will of God.

Maybe that will help.

tma66
Jan 10th 2008, 02:58 AM
Thank you all for the info. You share so much information on the bible. You are all angels in helping people like me {who is curious and doesnt know much about the bible} It is comforting to know that angels are helping watch over us, it makes me feel better to know Im not alone

RJ Mac
Jan 10th 2008, 10:21 PM
If we put the two main verses together do we not get the gist?
Mt.18:10 the angels are constantly beholding God's face, not guarding us.
Why do they stare at God's face? Because they are waiting for God to send them to us when He knows we will need them, Heb.1:14 they have to be sent - by God. Not guarding us but serving us as God sees fit.

My question is why do we think they are for children? In Mt.18:3-6 I believe Jesus is saying we have to be like little children, therefore the children whom the angels are servicing are Christians are they not?

RJ Mac

Jude1:21
Jan 11th 2008, 12:56 AM
I've been saved quite a few times by these 'angels' you speak of ;)
But are they around all the time? Scripturally. . .

I believe that God sent us a helper, The Holy Spirit,to work within us to guide and help us in all things.
I believe the only way to reach the Lord is through Jesus Christ not anyone else.

ross3421
Jan 11th 2008, 05:22 AM
In some ancient writings are angels named watchers ?

And watching man and the goings on, on earth to report to God. This may be a place where the concept of guardian angels arrived from ?

just my off the cuff thoughts

Yes angels are watching.....and waiting. What are they watching and waiting for?

1pe 1:12Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.

What are the angels watching? The angels are watching the effects of the Gospel being preached to the earth, why?

At this point it gets a little controversial, but it seems pretty clear that the angels (i.e ministering spirits) are waiting for those to accept this Gospel message so the can minister unto them. How would an angel minister unto you or I ? Is this the understanding of being filled with a Spirit as perhaps these "angels" are spirits of God.......

Where would they be sent forth, are we not the heirs of salvation?

Heb 1:13But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool?Heb 1:14Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

Do we not see this indwelt of angels at Pentecost upon their salvation?

Heb 1:7And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.

Ac 2:1And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.Ac 2:2And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.Ac 2:3And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.Ac 2:4And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

In addition, scripture gives us indication that each one of us does have our separate angel which is watching for our decisions of the Gospel noted by the personal pronoun of "their" being used below.

Mt 18:10Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.

Now if we have been predestined to accept this Gospel then perhaps this / our angel mediates events in the heavens against evil principalities in our regard whereby on earth events are made possible for our opportunity to accept.

My thoughts, Mark

walked
Jan 12th 2008, 01:40 AM
Yes angels are watching.....and waiting. What are they watching and waiting for?

1pe 1:12Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.

What are the angels watching? The angels are watching the effects of the Gospel being preached to the earth, why?

At this point it gets a little controversial, but it seems pretty clear that the angels (i.e ministering spirits) are waiting for those to accept this Gospel message so the can minister unto them. How would an angel minister unto you or I ? Is this the understanding of being filled with a Spirit as perhaps these "angels" are spirits of God.......

Where would they be sent forth, are we not the heirs of salvation?

Heb 1:13But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool?Heb 1:14Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

Do we not see this indwelt of angels at Pentecost upon their salvation?

Heb 1:7And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.

Ac 2:1And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.Ac 2:2And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.Ac 2:3And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.Ac 2:4And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

In addition, scripture gives us indication that each one of us does have our separate angel which is watching for our decisions of the Gospel noted by the personal pronoun of "their" being used below.

Mt 18:10Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.

Now if we have been predestined to accept this Gospel then perhaps this / our angel mediates events in the heavens against evil principalities in our regard whereby on earth events are made possible for our opportunity to accept.

My thoughts, Mark

Wow, thats some insightful perspective and scriptural evidence.
God has blessed me with your post.