PDA

View Full Version : They Could Not Stand

menJesus
Jan 9th 2008, 10:28 AM
The Holy Spirit has caused men to be "slain in the Spirit" since the OT times.

Here are a few scriptures out of the Bible re: this "slain in the Spirit" subject.

God Himself knows I am no expert on the subject, but I have had it happen to me, and it was of God.

In reading the history of the early churches, I have found this to be a commonplace happening for at least the last 300 years, in some of the churches of America. In the last 50-60 years, this experience has gotten rarer and rarer - why, I do not know.

I still do not understand why it happened to me 4 times in my life - I only know that it did. And I could probably sit here and think up a hundred reasons as to why God has blessed some of us with this, but I won`t do that - as I said, I simply do not know...

What I am seeing on this forum about this topic disturbs me, and I feel compelled to start this thread about this.

If one has an understanding of the way people spoke back in the OT, these passages are very simple to understand.

The priests "could not stand" so they fell. Why? Because of "the cloud". What is the cloud? The Holy Spirit...

I ask that the unbelievers study this subject and consider it prayerfully. It grieves me in my spirit to see that the idea of this beautiful manifestation, this Work of God Himself, is being rejected by men.

Please, please do not intentionally deny the power of the Living God...

1 Kings 8:11

American Standard Version (ASV)

so that the priests could not stand to minister by reason of the cloud; for the glory of Jehovah filled the house of Jehovah.

1 Kings 8:10-12 (in Context) 1 Kings 8 (Whole Chapter)
King James Version (KJV)

So that the priests could not stand to minister because of the cloud: for the glory of the LORD had filled the house of the LORD.

Amplified Bible (AMP)

So the priests could not stand to minister because of the cloud, for the glory of the Lord had filled the Lord's house.

English Standard Version (ESV)

so that the priests could not stand to minister because of the cloud, for the glory of the LORD filled the house of the LORD.

21st Century King James Version (KJ21)

so that the priests could not stand to minister because of the cloud; for the glory of the LORD had filled the house of the LORD.

2 Kings 10:3-5 (in Context) 2 Kings 10 (Whole Chapter) 2 Chronicles 5:14
American Standard Version (ASV)

so that the priests could not stand to minister by reason of the cloud: for the glory of Jehovah filled the house of God.

2 Chronicles 5:13-14 (in Context) 2 Chronicles 5 (Whole Chapter)
King James Version (KJV)

So that the priests could not stand to minister by reason of the cloud: for the glory of the LORD had filled the house of God.

Amplified Bible (AMP)

So that the priests could not stand to minister because of the cloud, for the glory of the Lord filled the house of God.

English Standard Version (ESV)

so that the priests could not stand to minister because of the cloud, for the glory of the LORD filled the house of God.

21st Century King James Version (KJ21)

so that the priests could not stand to minister by reason of the cloud, for the glory of the LORD had filled the house of God.

9Marksfan
Jan 9th 2008, 01:27 PM
Nothing in that passage says anything about them falling backwards - they would (as elsewhere) have either prostrated themselves or bowed their knees in worship before almighty Jehovah.

ProjectPeter
Jan 9th 2008, 02:18 PM
Nothing in that passage says anything about them falling backwards - they would (as elsewhere) have either prostrated themselves or bowed their knees in worship before almighty Jehovah.
Well now... you're assuming that. It doesn't say either way. :lol:

That being said... it isn't a very strong passage to try and prove the point. Nonetheless.. they couldn't stand which doesn't hurt the point either.

coldfire136
Jan 9th 2008, 08:25 PM
Estatic experiences actually happen quite often in the Old Testament. Be careful how quickly you dismiss it.

fightingfalcon
Jan 9th 2008, 08:35 PM
Is it just me or did anyone else not quite get the gist of this thread... what exactly is the OP trying to prove/confirm?

Estatic experiences actually happen quite often in the Old Testament. Be careful how quickly you dismiss it.

And they were of God? Mind giving instances?

Teke
Jan 9th 2008, 08:43 PM
How does "slain in the spirit" come from the verses in 1 Kings? It doesn't say they fell down or otherwise. Just that they could not stand to minister. Exodus 40:34 tells of the cloud coming down and Moses not able to enter. Not that he couldn't stand and fell down or otherwise.

9Marksfan
Jan 10th 2008, 12:27 PM
How does "slain in the spirit" come from the verses in 1 Kings? It doesn't say they fell down or otherwise. Just that they could not stand to minister. Exodus 40:34 tells of the cloud coming down and Moses not able to enter. Not that he couldn't stand and fell down or otherwise.

Good point, Teke.

AtHisFeet
Jan 19th 2008, 12:10 AM
Well now... you're assuming that. It doesn't say either way. :lol:

That being said... it isn't a very strong passage to try and prove the point. Nonetheless.. they couldn't stand which doesn't hurt the point either.

I disagree.

I think it does hurt the point.

Every time someone uses those verse I ask them "Well, is that what happened in your service? Could the leaders not stand to perform the services?" Actually, the 'priests' now seem to be able to turn this off and on at a whim and further, it seems to be a rather predictable phenomena happening at scheduled events rather consistently.

Surely our God isn't that predictable. Is he?

My mind is open to this but I need some kind of scriptural confirmation I've never received.

Please read this thread (maybe a merge??) http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=112091

ProjectPeter
Jan 19th 2008, 02:34 AM
Oh it doesn't hurt it... neither does it confirm it. That was my point.

As to your mind being open to it... why?

AtHisFeet
Jan 19th 2008, 03:57 AM
As to your mind being open to it... why?

Because I don't have everything figured out.

Brother Mark
Jan 19th 2008, 07:16 AM
I disagree.

I think it does hurt the point.

Every time someone uses those verse I ask them "Well, is that what happened in your service? Could the leaders not stand to perform the services?" Actually, the 'priests' now seem to be able to turn this off and on at a whim and further, it seems to be a rather predictable phenomena happening at scheduled events rather consistently.

Surely our God isn't that predictable. Is he?

My mind is open to this but I need some kind of scriptural confirmation I've never received.

Please read this thread (maybe a merge??) http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=112091

Why not ask for scripture to deny it? My advice, check out the fruit of the experience. When someone has the experience, does it make them more fruitful?

godsgirl
Jan 19th 2008, 01:26 PM
When God touches you this way-it is a humbling thing-that He in all His majesty would reach down to little old us! WOW!!!!! I believe it IS simply our reaction to His presence-but my, my, my!!! Our God is an awesome God!

VerticalReality
Jan 19th 2008, 05:26 PM
It's one thing to not be able to stand in the presence of God . . . whether that be falling forward, falling backward or simply going to ones' knees. It's another thing to have someone slapping you and knocking you down. It's not really difficult to discern between the two. Can someone be "slain in the Spirit", if that's the term you want to use? I believe they can. Can someone be slapped upside the head and it totally not be of God? I know they can. The latter is just flatout stupid and I don't know why folks get caught up in such silly emotionalism. The former is awfully powerful and an awesome experience. It's easy to tell the difference between the two.

menJesus
Jan 19th 2008, 10:42 PM
When God touches you this way-it is a humbling thing-that He in all His majesty would reach down to little old us! WOW!!!!! I believe it IS simply our reaction to His presence-but my, my, my!!! Our God is an awesome God!

Humbling is the word! You said it well...it is an awesome manifestation of Himself.

Sometimes when I am down on my knees praying I wish I could just go through my concrete floor. I cannot GET low enough before Him, to humble myself, to yield myself to Him, to worship Him as I would...

menJesus
Jan 19th 2008, 10:50 PM
Vertical Reality, I have had pastors and others stand on the platform and slap their hand upon my head and push down until my knees nearly buckled...sad, but true. I know exactly what you mean, there...

But one cannot force the Spirit upon another. And one man cannot make another yield. I choose to believe they all had good intentions - although bad judgement...

ProjectPeter
Jan 20th 2008, 02:58 PM
I had a guy actually tackle me on platform one time. It happens and they should be shamed. Myself... I took the opportunity to take the microphone and make it an issue that very service as it should be.

I've said it many times on here and I'll say it again. The vast majority of folks are simply doing what they do in the flesh. Certainly that is wrong and shouldn't be done and threads like this show exactly why. It gives the entire thing a sour taste in the mouth of many folk. So their answer is that since so many aren't "for real" then it must all be "not real." There lies the true shame.

Mograce2U
Jan 20th 2008, 04:23 PM
The dedication of Solomon's temple is probably not the best passage to use for an example of being "slain in the Spirit". Here are 3 others I found:

(1 Sam 4:18 KJV) And it came to pass, when he made mention of the ark of God, that he [Eli] fell from off the seat backward by the side of the gate, and his neck brake, and he died: for he was an old man, and heavy. And he had judged Israel forty years.

(Isa 28:13 KJV) But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

(John 18:4-7 KJV) Jesus therefore, knowing all things that should come upon him, went forth, and said unto them, Whom seek ye? {5} They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them. {6} As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground. {7} Then asked he them again, Whom seek ye? And they said, Jesus of Nazareth.

godsgirl
Jan 20th 2008, 05:09 PM
I don't think anyone here who has truly been slain in the spirit thinks that it is right to slap or push-so yes, just like anything else-satan or humans can try to counterfit-but when it really happens to you-you'll know it.

menJesus
Jan 20th 2008, 08:44 PM
"(John 18:4-7 KJV) Jesus therefore, knowing all things that should come upon him, went forth, and said unto them, Whom seek ye? {5} They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them. {6} As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground. {7} Then asked he them again, Whom seek ye? And they said, Jesus of Nazareth".

This is an excellent example - NT, also. The others...maybe not so good...

I wish some of these wonderful Bible studiers would do an in-depth study on this subject. Why some and not others?

What is the significance of receiving this?

20+ years later, I am still wondering...and still in awe over it..

AtHisFeet
Jan 21st 2008, 05:37 AM
It's one thing to not be able to stand in the presence of God . . . whether that be falling forward, falling backward or simply going to ones' knees. It's another thing to have someone slapping you and knocking you down. It's not really difficult to discern between the two. Can someone be "slain in the Spirit", if that's the term you want to use? I believe they can. Can someone be slapped upside the head and it totally not be of God? I know they can. The latter is just flatout stupid and I don't know why folks get caught up in such silly emotionalism. The former is awfully powerful and an awesome experience. It's easy to tell the difference between the two.

Great post.

However, I haven't been in a service with either of these.

I'm currently SBC and well....I probably don't need to say much more. However, this is something I am seeking the Lord on. Is there any particular church where you're more likely to find the 'real thing'?

Again, I just want to say what a great post I think this was/is. Quite possibly what I've been trying to articulate but having never experienced neither the real or the fake, I was ignorant of the words to use.

Thank you.

markedward
Jan 21st 2008, 06:52 AM
This topic, along with most of the Bible verses the OP pulled up, were addressed within this last week.

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=112091

It seems that this thread was made in direct response to that one, and that one already had multiple replies to nearly all of the verses the OP of this thread uses. The OP-er of this thread should have fully read that one and simply responded to it, not made an entirely new thread with Bible verses people had already responded to in the other thread.

menJesus
Jan 21st 2008, 09:13 AM
Markedward, forgive me, please. It is early in the morning and I just woke up.

But my thread was started Jan. 9th, the one you are referring to was started Jan. 13th, 4 days after I started mine.

I am new to this board, and I was under the impression that we could come here and open new threads and post about the things in our thoughts, and on our hearts.

I am sorry - I seem to have upset you by posting it. But I really wanted to tell my story about it...and I am glad I did.

Again, forgive me. I did not mean to upset you.

ProjectPeter
Jan 21st 2008, 03:49 PM
Great post.

However, I haven't been in a service with either of these.

I'm currently SBC and well....I probably don't need to say much more. However, this is something I am seeking the Lord on. Is there any particular church where you're more likely to find the 'real thing'?

Again, I just want to say what a great post I think this was/is. Quite possibly what I've been trying to articulate but having never experienced neither the real or the fake, I was ignorant of the words to use.

Thank you.
Not without specifically knowing the church or pastor... doubt I could give you a blanket recommendation now days. Once upon a time... perhaps. Not today though!

Teke
Jan 21st 2008, 04:11 PM
"(John 18:4-7 KJV) Jesus therefore, knowing all things that should come upon him, went forth, and said unto them, Whom seek ye? {5} They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them. {6} As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground. {7} Then asked he them again, Whom seek ye? And they said, Jesus of Nazareth".

This is an excellent example - NT, also. The others...maybe not so good...

I wish some of these wonderful Bible studiers would do an in-depth study on this subject. Why some and not others?

What is the significance of receiving this?

20+ years later, I am still wondering...and still in awe over it..

The significance of what happened in the John verse is that Jesus is Lord over all. They went backward with awe. They could not have taken Him, He went willingly (by His will not theirs).

It is important in instances such as this one to differentiate between personal experience and that which pertains to Jesus Christ which is the dogma of the Church.

IOW there is a distinction between dogma and personal experience. Dogma is established truth, not questionable, while personal experience is questionable and therefore not dogma. :)