PDA

View Full Version : HOW God "speaks"

renthead188
Jan 10th 2008, 04:44 AM
I am a new believer

For a few months I thought that I needed to hear God speak WORDS into my head. I felt that if I wasn't hearing a VOICE, than I wasn't hearing Him properly. I began to regard this certain undeniable feeling of certainty, that I would sometimes get, as God's Will but not His VOICE.

After speaking with some friends (that have been saying they hear God's VOICE) I realized that they are not hearing WORDS but identifying this FEELING as the voice of God.

This feeling happens when I see someone that I suddenly NEED to talk to, or when I was CERTAIN of my need to go to Tuscarora (sp... I should really learn how to spell that because that trip led to salvation) and most recently it occured in a church that, while it did help to bring me to faith, I now realize that it compromises that faith in some ways, and I know that there is more.

I just wanted to ask if anyone is hearing booming GOD words? I'm not knocking it, just haven't encountered it. I used to spend alot of time asking to hear THE VOICE OF GOD and I then realized that I had the voice, just not in words.

PS I love it when I realize things like this, it humbles me and makes me see how cool God is.

Any comments?

Kingdom12
Jan 10th 2008, 05:07 AM
I have found that God speaks to us all in many different ways! To name a few, God uses His holy word(the bible), dreams, other people, teachings and many other ways to communicate with belivers! Sometimes God will use actual words when He is talking to you. I beleve that God speaks to us all according to the level of our personal relationship with Him. For example, God speaks to my wife in her dreams. While she is dreamimg God will show her certain things. To sum this all up, God used me to talk to you tonight (other people). This is one of the ways God talks to us!

Be Blessed and continue to build yor relationship with the KING!

Kahtar
Jan 10th 2008, 05:14 AM
I would not call what you are describing a 'feeling', per se. It's more like an instantaneous download of information, not in words, but in understanding, a 'knowing'. Our brains then have to translate it into words.
On the other hand, He had spoken to me through His creation, dreams, and His Word. He has even used my own mouth to speak to me.:D When the Holy Spirit takes over your conversation, he speaks to all present, including you.

Soj
Jan 10th 2008, 05:16 AM
I am a new believerFirstly, welcome to the family of God, you have a wonderful future ahead of you!

After speaking with some friends (that have been saying they hear God's VOICE) I realized that they are not hearing WORDS but identifying this FEELING as the voice of God.

This feeling happens when I see someone that I suddenly NEED to talk to, or when I was CERTAIN of my need to go to Tuscarora (sp... I should really learn how to spell that because that trip led to salvation) and most recently it occured in a church that, while it did help to bring me to faith, I now realize that it compromises that faith in some ways, and I know that there is more.As a Christian now you have God's spirit dwelling inside you, and the "feeling" you are experiencing is the Holy Spirit within you witnessing with your spirit and guiding you in truth.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

God will not speak to you in an audible voice that you can hear with your ears, but in your spirit He speaks to you mainly through the Bible, which is of course the "word of God". You speak to God through prayer and He speaks to you through the Bible, that's why it's important that you read the Bible every day to commune with God.

Brother Mark
Jan 10th 2008, 01:55 PM
I would not call what you are describing a 'feeling', per se. It's more like an instantaneous download of information, not in words, but in understanding, a 'knowing'. Our brains then have to translate it into words.
On the other hand, He had spoken to me through His creation, dreams, and His Word. He has even used my own mouth to speak to me.:D When the Holy Spirit takes over your conversation, he speaks to all present, including you.

This is worth repeating. Call it an epiphany if you will. God just downloads the concept into our being. It's funny because God will speak to me in an instant and it takes me a minute to describe what he said. :lol:

Only one time in my life has God strong "words" to me. They pushed all my other thoughts aside. But I was a young believer and needed that. He has spoken words to me in other ways, but that one time was the strongest. He still uses words, but it is with a still small voice.

He speaks to me the way you describe Rent. Just a knowing this is what I have to do. He speaks to me through the word itself, through my pastor, through others and as Kahtar has said, he has spoken to me when I am speaking.

But here's the key... you said you had a "NEED" or you were "CERTAIN" you had to do something. Here's what the word says...

Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. "word" is a spoken word in this passage. When faith arises in your heart, and you KNOW you need to do something, it is because God has spoken to you. When you KNOW you need to do something, it is a sign that God has spoken. People have faith because they have heard God.

awestruckchild
Jan 10th 2008, 02:16 PM
Hi Renthead-

It is Very nice to meet you!

My experience has been that there is no set of rules I can go by as to how God will speak to me.

One time He did it through the license plate of a car!

I always know whether it is something I have cooked up in my own mind or something He is saying, by a distinct physical feeling I receive. It is sort of like a whoosh or a series of waves washing over me ( sort of through me.) At the same time, I get this sensation of the hair on my arms and the back of my neck prickling up - sort of like goosebumps except they aren't caused by being cold.

I lived 42 years without ever experiencing this feeling, physical sensation, whatever you want to call it. It was totally out of the realm of my experience when it happened. It took me a while to realize after the first time it happened that it was the exact moment I was baptized. It came simultaneously with a fully formed answer to something I had prayed on the night before.

I was such a new christian (only a few weeks old) and I wasn't even at the stage where I had given any thought to the Holy Spirit baptism. Like most things, I had read it in the bible, but until I experienced it personally, what I was reading just made no real sense to me.

I have seen that it is very difficult for all of us to keep ourselves from expecting that He "talks" to each of us in the same exact manner. There are people who have told me not to trust this "voice" because satan can mimick the Holy Spirits voice and because I am going on a feeling, which is unreliable. I think they can't help what they say - they haven't experienced it so it is difficult for them to believe.

But He said His sheep would know His voice and when you become fully aware of what His voice is in you, do not let them anyone cause you to distrust it. Learn to pay careful attention and respect to it.

I am at a point right now where I am finally beginning to understand what is happening to me when He speaks words to me in my sleep. I have not found a single living person who understands what I have been experiencing in sleep but astoundingly, I found a dead one who understood it while he was alive!! This is another way God spoke to me - through a poem written long ago by Saint John of the Cross. The "waves", sensations I have explained hit me like a ton of bricks when I read that poem and I just understood suddenly after 15 months of wondering what exactly was going on!

Now, a lot of people tell me that could be satan mimicking the Holy Spirits voice and not to rely on that feeling, but I tell you, without that attendant feeling, I would be in constant doubt about whether something was in fact true, or if it only sounded true to me!

Sorry to ramble on, but the Holy Spirit is my favorite subject!

Saved7
Jan 10th 2008, 04:20 PM
I just wanted to ask if anyone is hearing booming GOD words? I'm not knocking it, just haven't encountered it. I used to spend alot of time asking to hear THE VOICE OF GOD and I then realized that I had the voice, just not in words.

He rarely speaks "audibly", which means in a way you can actually physically hear words. I've only heard it on two seperate occassions. The rest of the time, it's a nudging by the Holy Spirit, or a literal speaking, but not "audible". A sort of abrupt clearly spoken outside thought coming into my heart. There are other ways as well, like "epiphanies" as others stated, and so forth. But to sum it up, you don't "have" to hear His literal voice in order to hear from God.:)

Slug1
Jan 10th 2008, 04:34 PM
On the other hand, He had spoken to me through His creation, dreams, and His Word. He has even used my own mouth to speak to me.:D When the Holy Spirit takes over your conversation, he speaks to all present, including you.That is exactly how it is with me. Something will pop in my head and I'll write it all down. Sometimes it's not for me at all but for someone else and in one case I knew exactly who it was for and gave the message to them.

When I was given my ministry this is exactly how it went also. That first message I wrote as to the need for it was one. Stuff just started filling my head and I ran to the computer to write it all. Then when I was done, I sat back and read it and thought WOW. The feelings from this... overwhelmed but it's been easy ;)

edit: Dreams are another way for me. I always write them down cause the ones that are from God are never forgotten and seem to "be" on my mind until I write them down. Then my wife is able to decifer them for me. Many times it is an answer to a prayer or sometimes it's explaining whats troubling me.

Soj
Jan 10th 2008, 08:06 PM
I am reminded of the following passage of scripture...

1 Kings 19:11 ...And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake: 12 And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.

Be listening for that "still small voice" on the inside.

Whispering Grace
Jan 10th 2008, 09:10 PM
He has even used my own mouth to speak to me.:D

Yeah....kinda freaked me out one day when I was in prayer and said "AMY!" as I'm not in the habit of talking to myself! :lol: It didn't take long for me to realize the Lord was speaking to me! And oh, what precious words of comfort and love He spoke to me!

But to answer the OP....yes, the Lord often speaks to me in my mind. Not only that, but I tend to talk back. :cool:

That does not mean that is how He will speak to everyone in this manner, however. It is not within my scope to know how He deals with His other children. He may speak to others in ways He doesn't speak to me.

RobbieP
Jan 10th 2008, 09:25 PM
PS I love it when I realize things like this, it humbles me and makes me see how cool God is.

I loved it when you said that. For a young believer to realize humbleness and recognize the need to discern information says a lot for your walk. I agree with everything said about how our Lord talks to us....and everybody said it so elequently ..I'm printing some of these because I always have a hard time explaining the awesomeness when He speaks to us.
All I can tell you is there have been times, when I was doen talking, that I said "where did that come from cuz it certainly wasn't me"...It is exciting to have the Lord in our hearts....I really can't Praise Him enough....

Robin

MeerkatMadden
Jan 14th 2008, 09:02 PM
I think you are on the right track OP.

There is way too much talk about Christians who claim the God told them something.

Most of the time it is just a feeling.

Even if you hear a voice, you have to be careful that it is not a familiar spirit.

There are very few people out there who God audibly speaks to, or sends his angels to, or gives open visions to.

But there ARE a few REAL prophets out there.

Prophet Tom Deckard (perfect 32 year track record) is a real prophet who has open visions that always come to pass. He has had over 75 encounters with angels during his ministry, and based on his perfect track record, it is incredibly chilling what he says is coming next:

http://www.jewishprophet.com/End%20Time%20Messenger/Warning.htm

Slug1
Jan 21st 2008, 05:07 AM
So anyone else have experiences?

(BUMP :lol:)

awestruckchild
Jan 21st 2008, 02:14 PM
I understand what Slug and Khatar mean when they say they receive "an instantaneous download" of information. It happened to me, but only once and I used different words to describe it in my earlier post when I said I received a "fully formed answer" to something I had been praying about.

I also, only once, heard 4 words. They were in my left ear. I don't know why my left ear and not my right. Have wondered if it is because He holds me with His right hand, which would put Him to the left of me. Probably nutso to wonder and think so much about that!!

I have been sad lately that threads like this which discuss our personal experience of Him don't seem to generate much interest yet any thread that argues what the meaning of a particular verse is quickly amasses 25 pages of reply.

I think Jude 19 throws some light on why this is so.
Jude 19 - "These people are the ones who are creating divisions among you. They follow their natural instincts because they do not have Gods' Spirit in them."

At the same time it makes me sad, I know that the Holy Spirit is a gift and that He will give Him to who He wants to give Him to. I am torn between wanting to try to tell people they need to ask for the Holy Spirit and knowing that God knows what He is doing. But it is hard to receive this great gift and not want everyone else to have Him as well. I think because I know how fortunate I am to be chosen to know Him and that it wasn't something I deserved any more than any one else.

Slug1
Jan 21st 2008, 02:29 PM
One thing I know that has happened to me. I received a Word from God for a friend a while back. This is when I began to listen to what God was saying and I held onto the Word and didn't pass it on. I knew exactly who it was for and why but fearful to give it to them because I doubted what I received.

Then for the next month I began to feel separated from God in the sense He wasn't close. Asking why and for guidance I kept coming back to the Word that I had received and was placed on my heart. FINALLY I was obedient and gave it to my friend and it was the answer that they had prayed for.... a month ago.

I felt bad and joyful as I learned allot over this. I learned that when God uses you, gives you a message and you've balanced it against the Spirit just as it instructs in the Bible, it's the real deal.

Since then I have received a few dreams and other Words from God. I don't always talk about it cause some Christians are so dead set against this happening today in this day and age. But in my experience, it's real and until I was obedient I guess I was cut off as God took a step back from me. I mean, if He's gonna take the time to answer a prayer through me and then I'm not gonna pass it on... why continue to use me?

I've been on the receiving end of Word's from God as well from others as they passed the info onto me.

menJesus
Jan 21st 2008, 02:42 PM
I, too, have heard the Lord speak to me through the Spirit, in a still, small voice. I have never had a conversation with him, as some have, and it is rare that I hear Him, but when He speaks, it is just what I need to hear. God is so awesome...and so faithful...

menJesus
Jan 21st 2008, 02:54 PM
One thing I know that has happened to me. I received a Word from God for a friend a while back. This is when I began to listen to what God was saying and I held onto the Word and didn't pass it on. I knew exactly who it was for and why but fearful to give it to them because I doubted what I received.

Then for the next month I began to feel separated from God in the sense He wasn't close. Asking why and for guidance I kept coming back to the Word that I had received and was placed on my heart. FINALLY I was obedient and gave it to my friend and it was the answer that they had prayed for.... a month ago.

I felt bad and joyful as I learned allot over this. I learned that when God uses you, gives you a message and you've balanced it against the Spirit just as it instructs in the Bible, it's the real deal.

Since then I have received a few dreams and other Words from God. I don't always talk about it cause some Christians are so dead set against this happening today in this day and age. But in my experience, it's real and until I was obedient I guess I was cut off as God took a step back from me. I mean, if He's gonna take the time to answer a prayer through me and then I'm not gonna pass it on... why continue to use me?

I've been on the receiving end of Word's from God as well from others as they passed the info onto me.

I have had the same experiences. God began giving me words of knowledge when I was a brand-new convert - one for my boss, one for the pastor`s wife, and one for one of my co-workers, which was the last 3 I wanted to go to with something like this!

Needless to say, I had no idea of what was happening - I just knew that I needed to tell them what I knew - what God had given me for them.

I dithered around for 2-3 days with all of them, then I told them all, in private, what I knew. To my great surprise and relief (and still with no understanding of what I was doing), my boss & the pastor`s wife were happy to hear it, as they had been waiting "for a word".

I was especially reluctant to approach my co-worker, who was not a Christian. She received it gracefully, especially in light of it being a warning for her - actually, it was terrible. But she ignored it, and sadly, it came to pass less than 2 weeks later.

awestruckchild
Jan 26th 2008, 04:40 AM
Slug-
I hear what you're saying about not wanting to share something because of the reactions of others but I think those of us who have received the Spirit need to talk about things like this because we can help each other.
I don't think we should stay silent with each other because of a fear of being attacked by ppl who don't know the Holy Spirit.
I think there is some larger spirit working to see that we DON'T talk to and help each other with understanding the Holy Spirit through what He teaches each of us personally. I think there are many fewer who know the Holy Spirit than claim to and the proof is how this thread doesn't generate much interest. Is it too far-fetched to think there is ....someone who doesn't WANT us to speak about these things who keeps us silent through fear of sounding crazy to or being attacked by judgemental "christians."

Slug1
Jan 26th 2008, 05:28 AM
Slug-
I hear what you're saying about not wanting to share something because of the reactions of others but I think those of us who have received the Spirit need to talk about things like this because we can help each other.
I don't think we should stay silent with each other because of a fear of being attacked by ppl who don't know the Holy Spirit.
I think there is some larger spirit working to see that we DON'T talk to and help each other with understanding the Holy Spirit through what He teaches each of us personally. I think there are many fewer who know the Holy Spirit than claim to and the proof is how this thread doesn't generate much interest. Is it too far-fetched to think there is ....someone who doesn't WANT us to speak about these things who keeps us silent through fear of sounding crazy to or being attacked by judgemental "christians."This is always a possibility. If you do a thorough search even on this board concerning the Gifts of the Holy Spirit or a search on Word's from God... you'll find that many people feel these gifts are not active these days or that God DOES NOT speak to faithful servants and give Word's from God. I've witnessed many of them and experienced some of them myself (as I wrote about in this thread). I can't understand how someone who is a Christian can say that these "gift's" don't happen today.

So yeah, I agree with you.

menJesus
Jan 26th 2008, 11:59 AM
Paintdiva, I tried to give you rep points for your post, but I couldn`t...:(

You are exactly right in what you say. This is my thoughts on it all:

God made man, and walked and talked with him. In the OT and parts of the NT, God was with man - He was an integral part of man`s life, He manifested Himself to them daily, they lived for Him and sought His counsel, and He moved for them in mighty ways.

Now in this day and age, most mens` hearts are far from God. But I believe that He, who has sent His Holy Spirit to be with us now, would be an integral part of our lives today, if only we would accept this as it could be.

The power and the manifestations of God were all over the lives of the men who walked with Him. And I believe - no, I KNOW - that we could have that same power working in our lives, and in the church, today...if only we would be willing to accept it.

The Bible says that "greater things will we do" after Jesus returned to the Father. But I don`t see them happening...and I believe it is because we as a people and as a church are not seeking the Holy Spirit to move as He once did. Why isn`t He here with us? Why isn`t He moving daily in our lives? We know that He WILL...but He doesn`t.

The Scripture keeps coming to my mind "having a form of Godliness but denying the power thereof". Some deny the power ( being slain in the Spirit, speaking in tongues, and oh, the controversial "Holy Ghost jerk" that I have not EVEN spoken of yet! :) ) but I believe that for many, many others, it is simply a matter of not knowing and understanding that these things are only the acts of the Holy Spirit that happened so frequently back in the day, that the people no doubt considered them commonplace!

I feel, at this point, that all I know about it would fit on the head of a pin, but what I know, I KNOW. It would be wonderful for people to come forward with their own stories and experiences. And talk about EDIFYING! All I can think to say is WOW!

This is a big, busy board. Maybe it would be possible for someone to start a Believers Only forum or something, so the ones who believe could come in here and share their wisdom and knowledge and experiences regarding the Holy Spirit, and discuss them without being harassed about it.

It would also be such a wonderful way to introduce the non-believers to the understandings and workings of the Holy Spirit. I firmly believe that the Holy Spirit has, and is, manifesting Himself to many, but the people do not understand what it means, therefore they are silent on the issue. Just like a new christian reading the Bible, it takes a while for it all to sink in. But once it gets in the heart and mind, it all becomes a reality to them.

The results just may be surprising... :)

awestruckchild
Jan 27th 2008, 03:19 PM
menjesus-
It is always very nice to meet another person who has received the Holy Spirit!
Unfortunately, there will always be those in these forums who will attack you for having that Spirit. They usually have made the bible their idol and either their own reasoning or the reasoning of others is what they have to rely on in interpreting or understanding scripture.
They just can't see how this produces such arrogance in them. They have never admitted their helplessness because they can't see it.
The trick in here is to not let them begin to sway you with their interpretations when you know dang well the Holy Spirit has shown you otherwise.
It is also important not to get too far into argument with them because their minds are made up and their "opinion" is something they will fight to the bitter end.
I think the only thing we can do is pray for them and let them know we will just speak the truth and allow those with the Holy Spirit to see we ARE speaking truth He has given us.
No scripture is for private interpretation, which is quite often what they have because the Holy Spirit is the One who leads us to the correct understanding of what we are reading.
Once again, nice to meet you!

menJesus
Jan 27th 2008, 09:23 PM
Paintdiva, its nice to meet you too! Don`t worry about me - I rarely have the will to debate anything...it seems like an exercise in futility to bang my head against a concrete wall... :)

It took me three tries to get a thread going about being slain in the spirit, but God Himself kept pushing at me until I came on here and said what I had to say. It is so sad to see so many good people so comfortable in their religion that they will not yield and surrender to the living God we all serve. The Holy Spirit is sweet, yes, but He is also mighty and powerful, and I believe we would do the works as Jesus said, if we allowed Him to use us as He would. Jesus Himself said it - it must be so!!!

I also know that I could not be moved off my position if one tried to do it with a backhoe! My life story has been a peculiar one, indeed, but I know what I know, and I have felt the power of God. This reminds me of the Scripture talking of the milk and the meat - mature christians need to have the full resources of the Holy Spirit - otherwise what Jesus said is a lie - and we know that is not so...

Just think what might happen if some of these very learned men and women here allowed the Spirit to use them as He would. Oh, the testimonies!

I love this board. But I wish there was more edification here. The body of Christ needs to lift up and support and encourage one another.
There is much, much more to it than just knowing the Bible upside down and backwards.

My fervent prayer is that all receive the Holy Spirit of God in their lives - with ALL of the manifestations! :) Not just the spiritual gifts - I mean All things! :)

Do you think we could get our own forum for this? After all, the aetheists and such have theirs, and we are on the other end of that - way other!

MommyTee
Jan 27th 2008, 10:45 PM
God usually speaks to me through His word and in my spirit/heart if you will. But He has spoken to me audibly once. I was driving down the road from work, long ago, I was still single and praying to God about whether a particular relationship was God's will(I knew deep down it wasnt) and not paying attention was about to pull over into the next lane SUDDENLY a loud, booming male voice said "STOP"...............I looked toward the voice and there in my blind spot was a HUGE SEMI TRUCK........speeding. But not only did He save my life at that same moment along with the stop into my spirit He let me know in uncertain terms I was to STOP the relationship with the man I was seeing. So He saved my physical life and life with a man whom He had not chosen for me. I am so glad I listened because now I am married happily to God's chosen man for me and we hav e3 beautiful children. God is good all the time

menJesus
Jan 27th 2008, 10:52 PM
Ooh, I have never heard Him speak loudly to me. But I want to! :)

MommyTee
Jan 27th 2008, 10:58 PM
it was pretty scary at the time......I almost wet myself.....LOL......cause there was NO one in the car but me..........Yep it scared me silly......but my life was spared too.......so I would have rather been scared then dead.....LOL. Not so sure my life was quite where it needed to be at the time.....and my Lord spared me meeting Him before I fulfilled His plans for my life......whatever that might still hold.

menJesus
Jan 27th 2008, 11:09 PM
I have had some experiences ,but that has not been one of them. I would like to hear His voice as the voice of thunder that it is...He is so awesome to me.

MommyTee
Jan 27th 2008, 11:23 PM
He is awesome to me too......and you know even with having heard that voice........the still small voice is the most precious to me............so sweet, so precious so full of love

HisGrace
Jan 28th 2008, 01:19 AM
Powerful story MommyTee - welcome to the Board.:)

Although I believe it can happen, I have never experienced God through bolts of lightning or even in my dreams. The Holy Spirit speaks to me strongly through the Word. I don't always trust my judgment through prayer.

When he does speak to me, though, I know it is His voice because it burns deep within me and usually is out of the blue without my asking. My favourite words are " I have already taken care of it." or "It is already done."

MommyTee
Jan 28th 2008, 01:26 AM
thanks HG amen yeah.....I love it when He speaks to me and says "Come unto me and rest"......because He truly does bear our burdens.........He is awesome and He is love and His voice is full of love, grace and mercy.

renthead188
Jan 28th 2008, 02:37 AM
Thanks for all of your support!

I've been away from the boards for a bit, but I wanted to thank you for your testimony. I have been praying about it and the Holy Spirit has become more familiar to me. It is now not only easier to HEAR Him, but it becomes MUCH more natural to obey Him when I KNOW that I am under Him and not something false.

Thank you all for your prayers and responses!

menJesus
Jan 28th 2008, 10:09 AM
Thank you, renthead, and glad to meet you! :)

RevLogos
Jan 29th 2008, 03:19 AM
I am suprised no one has mentioned yet what I call "divine coincidence".

Many years ago a man named Scott made me aware of the reality of God and the truth of Jesus. But I remained backslidden and lukewarm for about 20 years. I finally came to believe in my heart and became a true Christian. After 20 years I decided to go to church again. It took some effort for me to go alone (couldn't convince my wife) since I tend to be a bit uncomfortable doing these social things myself.

After opening songs and prayer the pastor asked us to get up and meet the people around us. I kept hearing "Hi, my name is Scott." "Hi, my name is Scott". There were five people named Scott near to me!

I am quite sure God was telling me I had done the right thing. I have continued to go back to that church, still see one or two of the Scott's but never that many.

Matt14
Jan 29th 2008, 03:32 AM
I am a new believer

For a few months I thought that I needed to hear God speak WORDS into my head. I felt that if I wasn't hearing a VOICE, than I wasn't hearing Him properly. I began to regard this certain undeniable feeling of certainty, that I would sometimes get, as God's Will but not His VOICE.

This feeling happens when I see someone that I suddenly NEED to talk to, or when I was CERTAIN of my need to go to Tuscarora (sp... I should really learn how to spell that because that trip led to salvation) and most recently it occured in a church that, while it did help to bring me to faith, I now realize that it compromises that faith in some ways, and I know that there is more.

Any comments?
I hear God speaking to me through His Word. I've not encountered any other method that is so complete. Paul said:

2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
2Ti 3:17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

If the scriptures can make us thoroughly equipped for every good work, what voice or feeling would we need to guide us?

menJesus
Jan 29th 2008, 11:10 AM
The Holy Spirit is here to talk with us, teach us, fellowship with us. Ask Him into your heart. Ask Him what you need to know.

The Bible says He will show us of things to come. And He does...

Slug1
Jan 29th 2008, 11:28 AM
I hear God speaking to me through His Word. I've not encountered any other method that is so complete. Paul said:

2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
2Ti 3:17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

If the scriptures can make us thoroughly equipped for every good work, what voice or feeling would we need to guide us?It also says in the Bible that people will prophesize for the edification of the Body of Christ. That's why when I received that Word from God for my friend and didn't tell her, the closeness with God seems more distant as I wasn't obedient. Then once I told her, this brought edification... and boy did it for her and me and everyone else in our church.

menJesus
Jan 29th 2008, 11:37 AM
Exactly! :) God will try us, and if we obey, He will try us again. This is how we are used by Him in this way.

Matt14
Jan 29th 2008, 10:58 PM
The Holy Spirit is here to talk with us, teach us, fellowship with us. Ask Him into your heart. Ask Him what you need to know.

The Bible says He will show us of things to come. And He does...
The Bible says He would show the apostles things to come, not every Christian.

Can you point me to scripture that shows the Spirit speaks to us?

Matt14
Jan 29th 2008, 11:00 PM
It also says in the Bible that people will prophesize for the edification of the Body of Christ. That's why when I received that Word from God for my friend and didn't tell her, the closeness with God seems more distant as I wasn't obedient. Then once I told her, this brought edification... and boy did it for her and me and everyone else in our church.
By saying this, do you mean that people need a word from God outside of scripture in order to live righteously?

How do you know God is speaking to you, and it's not your own conscience speaking?

Also, post the scripture you are referring to, and maybe we can discuss it together.

Thanks! :)

menJesus
Jan 30th 2008, 12:57 AM
They are all over the Bible, OT and NT. WAY too many to post here. :)

Matt14
Jan 30th 2008, 01:01 AM
They are all over the Bible, OT and NT. WAY too many to post here. :)
Okay. How about one, then?

RevLogos
Jan 30th 2008, 01:17 AM
Okay. How about one, then?

Are you looking for verses like these?

Act 2:38 Peter said to them, "Repent, and each one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Joh 14:26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and will cause you to remember everything I said to you.

Rom 5:5 And hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

Rom 9:1 I am telling the truth in Christ (I am not lying!), for my conscience assures me in the Holy Spirit —

1Th 1:6 And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, when you received the message with joy that comes from the Holy Spirit, despite great affliction.

Heb 10:15 And the Holy Spirit also witnesses to us…

2Pe 1:21 for no prophecy was ever borne of human impulse; rather, men carried along by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.

Matt14
Jan 30th 2008, 01:25 AM
Are you looking for verses like these?

I'm looking for one that says anyone other than the apostles were spoken to by God. None of these say that.

Act 2:38 Peter said to them, "Repent, and each one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

The gift of the Holy Spirit is the indwelling of the Spirit, the seal. But that does not mean He speaks to you in a means other than the written word.

Joh 14:26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and will cause you to remember everything I said to you.

Who is the "you" here? Jesus was speaking to the 12, not to you and me.

Rom 5:5 And hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

Once again, the indwelling. Does not show communication in words or feelings apart from the Bible.

Rom 9:1 I am telling the truth in Christ (I am not lying!), for my conscience assures me in the Holy Spirit —

Paul was an inspired apostle. We are not.

1Th 1:6 And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, when you received the message with joy that comes from the Holy Spirit, despite great affliction.

They received the message from the Spirit as communicated to them by the inspired Paul.

Heb 10:15 And the Holy Spirit also witnesses to us…

You cut out the rest of that passage:

Heb 10:15 But the Holy Spirit also witnesses to us; for after He had said before,
Heb 10:16 "THIS IS THE COVENANT THAT I WILL MAKE WITH THEM AFTER THOSE DAYS, SAYS THE LORD: I WILL PUT MY LAWS INTO THEIR HEARTS, AND IN THEIR MINDS I WILL WRITE THEM,"
Heb 10:17 then He adds, "THEIR SINS AND THEIR LAWLESS DEEDS I WILL REMEMBER NO MORE."

The Hebrew writer says the Spirit witnesses to us, then quotes the witness: the scriptures!

2Pe 1:21 for no prophecy was ever borne of human impulse; rather, men carried along by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.

Inspired men,meaning prophets and apostles. We are not inspired.

There is no passage in scripture that promises the modern day Christian has, or NEEDS, anything other than God's word in the Bible.

Slug1
Jan 30th 2008, 01:57 AM
By saying this, do you mean that people need a word from God outside of scripture in order to live righteously?

How do you know God is speaking to you, and it's not your own conscience speaking?

Also, post the scripture you are referring to, and maybe we can discuss it together.

Thanks! :)I'll post the specific one that I'm referring to tomorrow sometime. Not ignorin' ya :lol:

Brother Mark
Jan 30th 2008, 02:22 AM

Thanks! :)

Hi Matt. Here's a couple of things to ponder....

The Pharisees knew scripture and searched them out. But they did not know God. Yet, we know that faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word. The word "word" in Romans is ramah, and it means a spoken word. If faith simply came from reading the bible, then the Pharisees would have been full of faith but they weren't. Paul got faith when he received a direct word from God.

Rom 10:17
17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.
NASU

So yes, one needs to hear God in order to live righteously. While God speaks to us through the bible, if we do not "hear" him when we read, scripture will not do us any good.

A second passage to ponder...

John 10:25-27
25 Jesus answered them, " I told you, and you do not believe; the works that I do in My Father's name, these testify of Me. 26 "But you do not believe because you are not of My sheep. 27 "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me;
NASU

Jesus often said "he who has ears to hear, let him hear". But more importantly, the way we can tell the difference between the voice of God and the voice of our own conscience is, we are his sheep and we know his voice. All his sheep can learn to hear him.

Matt14
Jan 30th 2008, 02:24 AM
I'll post the specific one that I'm referring to tomorrow sometime. Not ignorin' ya :lol:
Don't worry, I know how busy you admins are. :)

Keep up the good work!

RevLogos
Jan 30th 2008, 02:27 AM
Don't worry, I know how busy you admins are. :)

Keep up the good work!

So Matt14, it would help me to understand your beliefs. You have said the Holy Spirit does not speak to us. What does the Holy Spirit do? Is the Holy Spirit just for the 12? Does the Holy Spirit play any role in a Christian's life?

Matt14
Jan 30th 2008, 02:28 AM
Hi Matt. Here's a couple of things to ponder....

The Pharisees knew scripture and searched them out. But they did not know God. Yet, we know that faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word. The word "word" in Romans is ramah, and it means a spoken word. If faith simply came from reading the bible, then the Pharisees would have been full of faith but they weren't. Paul got faith when he received a direct word from God.

Rom 10:17
17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.
NASU

So yes, one needs to hear God in order to live righteously. While God speaks to us through the bible, if we do not "hear" him when we read, scripture will not do us any good.

A second passage to ponder...

John 10:25-27
25 Jesus answered them, " I told you, and you do not believe; the works that I do in My Father's name, these testify of Me. 26 "But you do not believe because you are not of My sheep. 27 "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me;
NASU

Jesus often said "he who has ears to hear, let him hear". But more importantly, the way we can tell the difference between the voice of God and the voice of our own conscience is, we are his sheep and we know his voice. All his sheep can learn to hear him.

The Romans 10:17 passage is talking about hearing the Gospel. Paul was in no way talking about some "inner voice." He was talking about hearing preachers preach the word of God. This preaching is today contained in the scriptures, which is what we preach today.

"The Good Shepherd" passage is somewhat metaphorical, is it not? He's not talking about literally following Him through a field, but He's saying that those who will follow Him will understand His word and abide by it.

Again, this is not talking about an inner voice, or God talking to us. He was talking about heeding His word in general. Today this comes to us through the scriptures.

If the Bible is complete and is good to thoroughly equip the man of God for every good work (2 Tim. 3:16-17), then why do we need a leading of another sort?

Brother Mark
Jan 30th 2008, 02:31 AM
The Romans 10:17 passage is talking about hearing the Gospel. Paul was in no way talking about some "inner voice." He was talking about hearing preachers preach the word of God. This preaching is today contained in the scriptures, which is what we preach today.

Oh, I agree it's not an "inner voice". But if what you say is true, then why doesn't everyone that hears the gospel preached have faith? :hmm:

"The Good Shepherd" passage is somewhat metaphorical, is it not? He's not talking about literally following Him through a field, but He's saying that those who will follow Him will understand His word and abide by it.

Again, this is not talking about an inner voice, or God talking to us. He was talking about heeding His word in general. Today this comes to us through the scriptures.

If the Bible is complete and is good to thoroughly equip the man of God for every good work (2 Tim. 3:16-17), then why do we need a leading of another sort?Jesus was lead by the Spirit. ;) There are other passages to think about too. But those will suffice for now. The one about faith is a good one. If faith comes by hearing, why didn't the pharisees have faith? They had memorized the entire books of Moses.

But moving on to your next point...

Rom 8:14-17
14 For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. 15 For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, " Abba! Father!" 16 The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him.
NASU

All who are saved are led by the Spirit. The Spirit Himself testifies within our spirit that we are his.

Matt14
Jan 30th 2008, 02:33 AM
So Matt14, it would help me to understand your beliefs. You have said the Holy Spirit does not speak to us. What does the Holy Spirit do? Is the Holy Spirit just for the 12? Does the Holy Spirit play any role in a Christian's life?
According to scriptures, the Holy Spirit is our seal, sort of marking us as God's property:

2Co 1:22 who also has sealed us and given us the Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.

Eph 1:13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,

Eph 4:30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

He also helps us when we pray:

Rom 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

In some way He strengthens us in our inner man:

Eph 3:16 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man,

But nowhere does scripture say the average Christian is "spoken to" by the Holy Spirit.

Hope this helps explain. :)

Brother Mark
Jan 30th 2008, 02:35 AM
But nowhere does scripture say the average Christian is "spoken to" by the Holy Spirit.

Matt 10:19-20
19 " But when they hand you over, do not worry about how or what you are to say; for it will be given you in that hour what you are to say. 20 "For it is not you who speak, but it is the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you.
NASU

Here we see Jesus teaching that the Holy Spirit will speak in us and give us what to say.

Matt14
Jan 30th 2008, 02:37 AM
Oh, I agree it's not an "inner voice". But if what you say is true, then why doesn't everyone that hears the gospel preached have faith? :hmm:

Recall the parable of the sower? The word falls on good soil, and it falls on bad soil.

Jesus was lead by the Spirit. ;) There are other passages to think about too. But those will suffice for now. The one about faith is a good one. If faith comes by hearing, why didn't the pharisees have faith? They had memorized the entire books of Moses.

They did not do what they knew, and they added to the Law.

But moving on to your next point...

Rom 8:14-17
14 For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. 15 For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, " Abba! Father!" 16 The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him.
NASU

All who are saved are led by the Spirit. The Spirit Himself testifies within our spirit that we are his.

How are we led by the Spirit? By feeling? Or by the perfect truth He revealed to the apostles?

Didn't Jesus tell the apostles they would be led into all truth in John 14:26 and John 16:13?

What other truth do we need besides the Bible?

Matt14
Jan 30th 2008, 02:38 AM
Matt 10:19-20
19 " But when they hand you over, do not worry about how or what you are to say; for it will be given you in that hour what you are to say. 20 "For it is not you who speak, but it is the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you.
NASU

Here we see Jesus teaching that the Holy Spirit will speak in us and give us what to say.
Mark, check that again. Check the context. Who is Jesus speaking to?

Is he speaking to you and me?

Or was He speaking to the 12?

Brother Mark
Jan 30th 2008, 02:42 AM
Recall the parable of the sower? The word falls on good soil, and it falls on bad soil.

You are correct! That is one way. The other is we don't hear. As Jesus said "He who has ears to hear, let him hear". And "hearing, they do not hear".

How are we led by the Spirit? By feeling? Or by the perfect truth He revealed to the apostles?

Didn't Jesus tell the apostles they would be led into all truth in John 14:26 and John 16:13?

What other truth do we need besides the Bible?Matt 10:20
20 "For it is not you who speak, but it is the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you.
NASU

We must learn to discern what is our soul and spirit. We use scripture to do this. But even so, like Peter, flesh and blood does not reveal this to us but God does. He speaks directly to us. Then we will know the meaning of the above verse, that it is not us that speaks, but the Father who speaks in us. Or we could end up like Satan and quote the word of God out of line and then we are not speaking the words of the Lord but instead are being prompted by another spirit.

James and John were prompted by another spirit in the following verses...

Luke 9:54-56

54 And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did?

55 But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of.

56 For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them. And they went to another village.
KJV

And yet, God had rained fire down on folks before. But they weren't speaking from the Holy Spirit when they spoke the words above.

So tell me, how do you know what job to take? What wife to marry? What girl to speak to? Who to witness to? You won't find those in scripture. But God will speak to you about them if you will listen.

Jesus said "I only do what the Father tells me to do". There are many other verses about hearing God in scripture. Jesus only did what the Father said to do and he is a good example for us to follow.

RevLogos
Jan 30th 2008, 03:32 AM
Does the Bible say anywhere the Holy Spirit ONLY speaks to certain people? The Holy Spirit talks to many of the early Christians, not just the 12 disciples. Why should I not believe the Holy Spirit can talk to any Christian?

Brother Mark
Jan 30th 2008, 03:34 AM
Mark, check that again. Check the context. Who is Jesus speaking to?

Is he speaking to you and me?

Or was He speaking to the 12?

He was speaking to the 12 then and to us now. ;)

Matt14
Jan 30th 2008, 03:45 AM
He was speaking to the 12 then and to us now. ;)
Why do you think He is speaking to us now? He was sending the men out on a mission, the limited commission. He gave them powers to cast out demons and heal the sick.

We have to remember the context, here, as always. :)

I'm really not trying to be difficult. But there have been a lot of people who claimed they "heard the voice of God," or are "being led by the Spirit" who have done some pretty bad things.

It is the Word of Christ that will judge us (John 12:48), and therefore that is what we should live by.

Matt14
Jan 30th 2008, 03:45 AM
Does the Bible say anywhere the Holy Spirit ONLY speaks to certain people? The Holy Spirit talks to many of the early Christians, not just the 12 disciples. Why should I not believe the Holy Spirit can talk to any Christian?
What early Christians did he speak to?

Brother Mark
Jan 30th 2008, 03:51 AM
Why do you think He is speaking to us now? He was sending the men out on a mission, the limited commission. He gave them powers to cast out demons and heal the sick.

We have to remember the context, here, as always. :)

I'm really not trying to be difficult. But there have been a lot of people who claimed they "heard the voice of God," or are "being led by the Spirit" who have done some pretty bad things.

It is the Word of Christ that will judge us (John 12:48), and therefore that is what we should live by.

Oh, of course people do bad things in the name of God. Shoot, some even use scripture but we don't throw out scripture because of misuse. Neither do we ignore the word the Lord speaks to us today. Paul even taught about hearing the word of the Lord and revealing what was in the heart of another in 1 Cor. 14. Isn't that hearing the Lord?

And if God was only speaking to those 12, or the 70, was he recording just history? Or is there something there for us too? I know people that have cast out demons and healed the sick. Shoot, I have had people call me in the morning and give me a word from God and they didn't even know what was going on in my life and how bad I needed it. The ole prophesying thing is excellent when it is from the Lord.

1 Cor 14:23-25
23 If therefore the whole church should assemble together and all speak in tongues, and ungifted men or unbelievers enter, will they not say that you are mad? 24 But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an ungifted man enters, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all; 25 the secrets of his heart are disclosed; and so he will fall on his face and worship God, declaring that God is certainly among you.
NASB

We see this illustrated by Jesus with the woman at the well in John 4.

And let us not forget the many people at the corinthian church that spoke it tongues at the unction of the Holy Spirit even if they did not always do it correctly. Did they not hear the Lord?

But again, how does one know who to marry? Where to work? What school to attend? Or where to go to church? Does God not lead his sheep today or direct his people to "green pastures"?

Brother Mark
Jan 30th 2008, 03:52 AM

The Corinthian church heard directly from the Holy Spirit.

Matt14
Jan 30th 2008, 04:02 AM
The Corinthian church heard directly from the Holy Spirit.
I thought he was referring to after the age of miracles. When the apostles passed away and the scriptures were complete, this type of thing no longer happened.

RevLogos
Jan 30th 2008, 04:36 AM

People like Peter, Paul, Theophilus, Philip, the church throughout Judea, Galilee, and Samaria, Agabus, Simeon called Niger, Lucius the Cyrenian, Manaen, Timothy, Barnabas.

If what you are saying is correct, there has to be a special Holy Spirit given to the disciples, and another Holy Spirit given to everybody else. I don’t see evidence of this.

The Holy Spirit given to all is the same as given to the disciples: there is only one Holy Spirit. The gift of the Holy Spirit is the same for everyone. It is the same for all though different charismatic gifts may be given to different people, according to His will.

Act 2:17 'And in the last days it will be,' God says,
'that I will pour out my Spirit on all people,
and your sons and your daughters will prophesy,
and your young men will see visions,
and your old men will dream dreams.

Act 10:45 The circumcised believers who had accompanied Peter were greatly astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles,
Act 10:46 for they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God. Then Peter said,
Act 10:47 "No one can withhold the water for these people to be baptized, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we did, can he?"

Act 11:17 Therefore if God gave them the same gift as he also gave us after believing in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I to hinder God?"

Act 15:8 And God, who knows the heart, has testified to them by giving them the Holy Spirit just as he did to us,
Act 15:9 and he made no distinction between them and us, cleansing their hearts by faith.

Act 19:6 and when Paul placed his hands on them [some people who had been baptized by John], the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they began to speak in tongues and to prophesy.

1Co 2:13 And we speak about these things, not with words taught us by human wisdom, but with those taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual things to spiritual people.

1Co 12:4 Now there are different gifts, but the same Spirit.
1Co 12:5 And there are different ministries, but the same Lord.
1Co 12:6 And there are different results, but the same God who produces all of them in everyone.
1Co 12:11 It is one and the same Spirit, distributing as he decides to each person, who produces all these things.

1Co 12:13 For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body. Whether Jews or Greeks or slaves or free, we were all made to drink of the one Spirit.

Heb 2:4 while God confirmed their witness with signs and wonders and various miracles and gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will.
1Jn 4:1 Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to determine if they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

1Jn 5:6 Jesus Christ is the one who came by water and blood — not by the water only, but by the water and the blood. And the Spirit is the one who testifies, because the Spirit is the truth.
1Jn 5:7 For there are three that testify,
1Jn 5:8 the Spirit and the water and the blood, and these three are in agreement.

RevLogos
Jan 30th 2008, 05:08 AM
Who is the "you" here? Jesus was speaking to the 12, not to you and me.

Many times in the Gospels Jesus is speaking to the 12. But does that mean none of what he said was meant for the rest of us?

Consider:

Joh 16:7 But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I am going away.

Was this not for all christians, or just the 12? I think all. Consider the whole verse:

Joh 16:7 But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I am going away. For if I do not go away, the Advocate will not come to you, but if I go, I will send him to you.

The Advocate is the Holy Spirit. You say this was for the 12 only. However we do agree we all receive the Holy Spirit is our gift to guide us through sanctification. So this whole verse is for everyone, not just the 12, yes?

Then a few verses later we get to this:

Joh 16:13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. For he will not speak on his own authority, but will speak whatever he hears, and will tell you what is to come.
Joh 16:14 He will glorify me, because he will receive from me what is mine and will tell it to you.
Joh 16:15 Everything that the Father has is mine; that is why I said the Spirit will receive from me what is mine and will tell it to you.

Now, is Jesus intending this to apply to just the 12 or to all Christians? There is no contextual shift to tell us these verses apply only to the 12 while the other verses just above apply to all. How does this shift occur? I don't believe it does.

The trouble I have with this is it adds a great deal of complexity to the Gospels. We now have to find a way to figure out each and every time Jesus says "you" who Jesus is really referring to, just the 12 or everyone who accepts Him as their savior? And there is no contextual means to do this.

In later verses all others receive the Holy Spirit as we agree, and many are spoken to, and many have other charismatic gifts. But there is no verse I can find which says the "inspired" ones get a super-Holy Spirit that talks to them, and the rest of us get the quiet Holy Spirit. More complexity to the scripture than I believe is warranted. I'd surely need a super-Holy Spirit to figure it out!

renthead188
Jan 30th 2008, 05:41 AM
God has spoken through my heart. I can feel Him working within me on a daily basis. Thank you for ALL of your comments. I have been truly blessed by hearing of your interactions with The Holy Spirit.

God Bless

Christopher

awestruckchild
Feb 4th 2008, 10:31 PM
Oh, Renthead-
Thank you so much for coming back and telling us that!!!
I am so happy for you that you know His voice clearly now!
It was the point where a lot of confusion left me because I no longer felt I had to consult with men for answers. We all know, 50 different men will give you 50 different answers!
You are so safe now because you have the only teacher who can guide you to truth!
If I wasn't so dang old I'd do a cartwheel for you!!!