PDA

View Full Version : Who else has done low-carb plans? (Atkins, SoBeach, etc..)

David Taylor
Jan 10th 2008, 01:39 PM
Observations, Results and Thoughts?

Toolman
Jan 10th 2008, 03:08 PM
I have done low-carb and it is extremely effective for me.

Now, I do not do low-carb to the level of going into ketosis, as Atkins suggests.

But low-carb is definitely very effective. When I am cutting I will always lower my carbs.

One simple way to implement some forms of low carb is to remove all processed junk from your diet. This alone will cause you to lose some fat.

Sodas, white bread, white rice, tortillas, white potatoes, any sugar, anything that basically comes in a box (TV dinners, etc.), any junk food, etc.

Stick mostly to lean meats, essential fats (omega 3, flax seed oil, olive oil), low glycemic fruits (don't overdo these), low glycemic veggies (fiborous veggies), nuts and seeds (love natural peanut butter). Increase your meats and fats if you get hungry.

The closer it is to natural (not processed) the more clean it will be.

JIML
Jan 10th 2008, 08:35 PM
Observations, Results and Thoughts?

I think i am going to be doing a low carb diet soon so i'll get back to you.

Laish
Apr 19th 2008, 08:21 AM
I did the low carb bit an had great results
I lost 120 pounds in just under 10 months .
A bit of advice though
for your first few weeks as your body adjusts to your
new diet stay close to a restroom 2 to 3 minn away
after you eat as you may need to go really fast .This
only lasted for 3 weeks or so for me after that I was ok
stay away from energy drinks an stuff with tons of caffeine
on your diet . ( you may end up in the emergency room like I
DID WITH A RAPID HEART RATE OF OVER 180 lasting for over 2 hrs )
Another thing is start taking a good vitamin .
hope this helps

Drums4Him
Apr 20th 2008, 04:06 AM
I did the Atkins diet and lost weight. I lost a lot of fat around my waistline. However, I have been reading that it isn't the most healthy way to lose weight. So now I do my own version, I watch the carbs I am eating, and generally eat in moderation. I have a life long problem of eating too much too quickly. I had to reprogram myself to not do that and even stop cleaning my plate

Da Roc
Apr 20th 2008, 10:11 AM
Hi,

I did Atkins for about 10 mos and lost weight 40+lbs.

I was eating 3-4 prime ribs/week (I knew a butcher). However I didn't know how bad this diet really is.

I have since cut back and gained about 15lbs. Eatting mostly chicken & fish. Staying away from beef & pork. More veggies & fruit - less carbos.

I also fast more but for spiritual reasons not health or weight reasons.

The diet is one of the hardest to stay on and not cheat.

Eating healthier is much better then the diet for me.

hope this helps you some.

Peace,

Da Roc

Clavicula_Nox
Jun 26th 2008, 09:26 PM
I am currently on Week 2 of Atkins. In my first week, I lost 6 pounds, and have stalled because we made some poor meal choices recently. In a couple of days when everything filters out of our bodies, we will be seeing more progress.

Confused64
Jun 27th 2008, 06:10 PM
Getting your diet straightened out is never easy. Raising your protein intake is probably the most important thing you can do. Also, you want to make sure that your carbs aren't out pacing your fats, as you want to force your body to burn fat for energy instead of carbs. I try to use this formula-

40% of calories from protein

30% each from carbs and fats

I also share an earlier comment about eliminating as much processed junk as you can, lot of sugar and sodium in processed food, processed sugar= empty carbs

TJ1014
Oct 23rd 2008, 04:02 PM
I did the low to no carbs only on weekdays and normal eating on weekends for 15 months. And it really made a difference.

Literalist-Luke
Oct 23rd 2008, 04:28 PM
I have done the Atkins diet twice. Both times it did exactly what it said it would. :thumbsup:

ph33r
Oct 23rd 2008, 05:05 PM
Look into a carb cycling based diet vs per carb cut out. Also look into a intermittent fasting/ paleo diet. It will get you really lean while minimizing muscle loss. Plus it has been shown to reverse the effects of diabetes (well at least the paleo diet has I do not know about the intermittent).

David161099
Oct 23rd 2008, 05:25 PM
I am an Atkins Low Carber for life!

ph33r
Oct 23rd 2008, 07:00 PM
I literally do not know how anyone could do Low carb consistently and and do any form of hi-intensity workout and or cardio. I am not putting down lo-carb at all as I firmly believe carb cycling and paleo diets are GREAT. But for someone who does around an hour of hi-intensity cardio daily and also does crossfitesq workouts I think I would fall over dead if I did a consistently low carb diet.

ph33r
Oct 23rd 2008, 07:02 PM
I have done low-carb and it is extremely effective for me.

Now, I do not do low-carb to the level of going into ketosis, as Atkins suggests.

But low-carb is definitely very effective. When I am cutting I will always lower my carbs.

One simple way to implement some forms of low carb is to remove all processed junk from your diet. This alone will cause you to lose some fat.

Sodas, white bread, white rice, tortillas, white potatoes, any sugar, anything that basically comes in a box (TV dinners, etc.), any junk food, etc.

Stick mostly to lean meats, essential fats (omega 3, flax seed oil, olive oil), low glycemic fruits (don't overdo these), low glycemic veggies (fiborous veggies), nuts and seeds (love natural peanut butter). Increase your meats and fats if you get hungry.

The closer it is to natural (not processed) the more clean it will be.

This is very inline with Paleo diets and I have to say is one of the most effective ways to diet and keep muscle mass. Good post!

David161099
Oct 24th 2008, 02:48 AM
But for someone who does around an hour of hi-intensity cardio daily and also does crossfitesq workouts I think I would fall over dead if I did a consistently low carb diet.

I'm sorry but I believe that an hour of hi-intensity cardio every day is very unhealthy.

And to do that everyday??? An extremely bad idea.

Ayala
Oct 24th 2008, 02:57 AM
I'm inclined to disagree. High-intensity cardio is a very important part of my regimen. Keeps your heart and blood circulation healthy and those endorphins pumpin.

As for carbs and such...It really depends on how often, how intense, and what kind of training you into. Those who focus primarily on weight-lifting and such are going to want to eat less carbs...particularly anything unnatural. For those who focus on cardio, carbs are essential, but one should still ovoid the junky stuff.

ph33r
Oct 24th 2008, 03:19 AM
I'm sorry but I believe that an hour of hi-intensity cardio every day is very unhealthy.

And to do that everyday??? An extremely bad idea.

Not if you do what I do. ;)

ph33r
Oct 24th 2008, 03:20 AM
I'm inclined to disagree. High-intensity cardio is a very important part of my regimen. Keeps your heart and blood circulation healthy and those endorphins pumpin.

As for carbs and such...It really depends on how often, how intense, and what kind of training you into. Those who focus primarily on weight-lifting and such are going to want to eat less carbs...particularly anything unnatural. For those who focus on cardio, carbs are essential, but one should still ovoid the junky stuff.

And for those of us who do both :-D Carbs are essential

ynnedenny
Oct 24th 2008, 05:54 AM
I did Atkins for almost a year. I lost about 70 lbs in total. After the first 2 weeks, I felt better than I ever have in my life. The first 2 weeks, though... I had no energy whatsoever. I loved it because I had an excuse to cook every meal, and I LOVE to cook. I still try to cook as many of my meals as I can, and I avoid sugar as much as possible. I'm not actively low carbing, though.

Jurell
Oct 24th 2008, 07:31 AM
I've been doing a carb cycling diet for about 3 weeks now and have lost 12 Lbs. It was funny, this past Saturday I had Taco Bell for a "cheat meal" only to have it cut through me like no body's business!

James of Sunshine
Dec 6th 2008, 11:11 PM
I've also used the Atkins to good effect. I took the strict Atkins approach and went through a sort of withdrawal for the first couple of weeks (I attacked my food cravings as I approached ketosis by chugging glasses of water everytime I started getting buggy) and then the weight started flying off until it levelled at a weight and leanness I had been at as a younger man. Went from 240 with a gut, fat face, size 38 waist, a little snug, to a comfy fitting 34/185. Felt like a new man AND didn't have as much interest in food. Backed off a bit and at present hover around 200 but want to get back to that lean, energetic feel again. All I can say is it works but in the beginning it takes a little will power.