PDA

View Full Version : Confused about something

*Living~By~Faith*
Jan 11th 2008, 11:02 PM
I don't really know a better way of explaining that. But does someone have to want and seek to find the Lord in their life in order for Him to draw them near to Him? Or can the Lord draw someone near to Him that isn't looking for Him? I don't believe I was seeking the Lord very much when I found him back in May of last year.

Ayala
Jan 11th 2008, 11:12 PM
The Lord can influence and impact someone's life for their greater good, without them realizing it...But in order for the Lord to actually draw close in their life, I would say that one would definitely have to be actively humbling himself and seeking the Lord.

Ninna
Jan 12th 2008, 12:18 AM
I have known people who were not seeking (or maybe seeking something but they did not know what) and were saved.

In Acts, chapter 9, Saul (Paul) was certainly not looking for Jesus when he saw the light!

Jesus-Is-Real
Jan 12th 2008, 01:04 AM
I have known people who were not seeking (or maybe seeking something but they did not know what) and were saved.

In Acts, chapter 9, Saul (Paul) was certainly not looking for Jesus when he saw the light!

Me either - God just "happened" to me.

My beginning life right in God's Word:
Isa 65:1
65:1 I am sought of them that asked not for me; I am found of them that sought me not: I said, Behold me, behold me, unto a nation that was not called by my name.

Was this mainly a question for yourself or another?

Soj
Jan 12th 2008, 01:20 AM
I don't really know a better way of explaining that. But does someone have to want and seek to find the Lord in their life in order for Him to draw them near to Him? Or can the Lord draw someone near to Him that isn't looking for Him? I don't believe I was seeking the Lord very much when I found him back in May of last year.This is a good question and worthy of deep thought, because it is a hard one for many to grasp.

I definately wasn't seeking God prior to becoming a Christian, it was God who sent a close friend to witness the gospel to me, and even then I wrestled with the Spirit of God for 3 months before I believed and accepted Christ as my Saviour.

According to the Bible, no-one seeks after God:

Romans 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: 11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. 12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

It is God who seeks after us:

Luke 19:9 And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham. 10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.

John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

I believe that God works in every persons heart in some way to draw them to Him, but the fact from scripture is that many hearts are hardened towards God and will not come to Him, while few hearts are soft and open to God and only they will enter into the joy of the Lord. See Matthew 7:13-14.

Scruffy Kid
Jan 12th 2008, 03:42 AM
Dear Christian9778,
Welcome to Bibleforums! :hug:
It's great to have you here! :pp :pp :pp
I realize that you've been here over 6 months, but I don't recall crossing your path before, so I just wanted to greet you!

Your question is a very good one!
... does someone have to want and seek to find the Lord in their life in order for Him to draw them near to Him? Or can the Lord draw someone near to Him that isn't looking for Him? I don't believe I was seeking the Lord very much when I found him back in May of last year. I think that two short parables Jesus tells, one after the other, in Matt. 13 may be helpful in thinking about the question you asked.
Again, the kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field; the which when a person has found it, he hides, and for joy thereof goes and sells all that he has, and buys that field. (Matt 13:44)

Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant, seeking goodly pearls: Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it. (Matt 13:45-46) The second parable might be thought of as pertaining to someone who was looking for God, seeking God, or even seeking meaning in life, who discovers the gospel, and sees that it is worth, that Christ is worth, more than all the rest of life. The first parable might be thought of as pertaining to someone like yourself who wasn't necessarily seeking, but "stumbles across" the gospel, and seeing it to be of surpassing worth, gives his or her life to it!!

(These parables are set in context of a whole set of other parables, which are also relevant to understanding things about how we find, and truly appropriate, the Gospel Christ brings to us!)

In friendship,
Scruffy Kid

awestruckchild
Jan 12th 2008, 04:04 AM
I don't really know a better way of explaining that. But does someone have to want and seek to find the Lord in their life in order for Him to draw them near to Him? Or can the Lord draw someone near to Him that isn't looking for Him? I don't believe I was seeking the Lord very much when I found him back in May of last year.

I wasn't seeking Him - didn't even believe in Him.
He chose me.
He wooed me.
He did the introduction.
Someone else would have to tell you where to find the vs., but Jesus said something to His disciples to the effect that they didn't choose Him but rather HE chose them.

And another vs. had Jesus saying that no one comes to God unless God first draws them.

And another that says we could never have found Him on our own with our human intelligence or reasoning.

I think you have a very safe attitude to know you have done nothing and that He has done it all. I see a lot of pride in ppl. who think they sought God without Him first putting the desire in their heart. Or who think they got to know Him as a reward for their "hard work" of seeking after Him.
I have even heard ppl. say: "Well of course you did something - YOU obeyed!!" (As if even the strength to obey somehow comes from us!!) I have even heard ppl. say to another that they were willfully not coming to God - as if they themselves weren't every bit as lost and blind to God before HE showed Himself to them! I think they CAN'T seek after God because they are still blinded and God hasn't reached out to them yet more often than not. Why do we want so badly to take credit for something, anything, some small part??

He does it all, everything, the whole enchilada and I just hang onto Him with a grasping desperation because I know that to lose Him after I have found Him would be the death of me!!

Revinius
Jan 12th 2008, 04:15 AM
C.S Lewis said he was dragged kicking and screaming to his knees before God. If God wants you he will take you whether you like it or not.

*Living~By~Faith*
Jan 13th 2008, 03:48 AM
Thanks for all of the replies. They've been very helpful in helping me understand this better.

Was this mainly a question for yourself or another?

This was just something that I had always wondered about.

Dear Christian9778,
Welcome to Bibleforums! :hug:
It's great to have you here! :pp :pp :pp
I realize that you've been here over 6 months, but I don't recall crossing your path before, so I just wanted to greet you!

In friendship,
Scruffy Kid

Thank you for the greeting. I have been around awhile, but have just now really began to jump in here and begin posting more often. I have really grown in my faith over the past couple of weeks and I really look forward to joining in on here more often.

TEITZY
Jan 13th 2008, 04:03 AM
Someone else would have to tell you where to find the vs., but Jesus said something to His disciples to the effect that they didn't choose Him but rather HE chose them.

That would be John 15:16:

You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you.

Abraham also springs to mind as a person who God just called out of paganism to follow Him.

Cheers
Leigh

My heart's Desire
Jan 13th 2008, 05:03 AM
Someone once said something to the effect that every heart has a God shaped hole that only Jesus can fill or something like that. I suppose it means that that is why people are always trying to find things to fill it but only Jesus can.

Tanya~
Jan 13th 2008, 05:17 AM
God always makes the first move. He seeks us so that we can then seek Him, and find Him.

Gulah Papyrus
Jan 13th 2008, 05:55 AM
I never knew I was looking for God until I found Him/He found me. Like many of the posters in this thread my becoming a Christian seemed accidental and sudden at the time, but now when I look back I realize that I had been searching for peace and truth for a long, long time. Everybody is trying to fill that God shaped in their life, and in their sole, with everything from drugs/alcohol to money and power to sex to possessions to you name it and I think when you finally come to the realization that the ONLY perfect fit is Jesus Christ you don't see it coming but really where else could your faith quest possibly have lead?

watchinginawe
Jan 13th 2008, 12:57 PM
God goes first (has gone first). We can't get ahead of God, He has already provided!

John 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:

15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
John 12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.
John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;

11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

God Bless!

JesusLovesYou
Jan 13th 2008, 02:54 PM
That verse about no one seeks Him, not one comes to mind. I would say it could happen either way. God has placed salvation in the hearts of men. If the situation presents itself, He will reveal Himself. If it doesn't He still reveals Himself through His goodness, creation, etc.

Jesus-Is-Real
Jan 14th 2008, 08:48 PM
That would be John 15:16:

You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you.

Abraham also springs to mind as a person who God just called out of paganism to follow Him.

Cheers
Leigh

Amen, Leigh.

God bless you.

Jesus-Is-Real
Jan 14th 2008, 08:49 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. They've been very helpful in helping me understand this better.

This was just something that I had always wondered about.

Thank you for the greeting. I have been around awhile, but have just now really began to jump in here and begin posting more often. I have really grown in my faith over the past couple of weeks and I really look forward to joining in on here more often.

I hear you, thanks. God bless.

Jesus-Is-Real
Jan 14th 2008, 08:52 PM
God always makes the first move. He seeks us so that we can then seek Him, and find Him.

:hug: Amen, when we seek him with our whole heart.

evrgreenjhawk
Jan 14th 2008, 11:01 PM
Isaiah 49

The Lordís Servant Commissioned

1 Listen to me, all you in distant lands!
Pay attention, you who are far away!
The Lord called me before my birth;
from within the womb he called me by name.
2 He made my words of judgment as sharp as a sword.
He has hidden me in the shadow of his hand.
I am like a sharp arrow in his quiver.

all in His time and according to His plan...