PDA

View Full Version : Point of the flood?

Tru_Knyte
Jan 12th 2008, 02:28 AM
Just started doing a Bible study this week (am planning on reading the whole book in a year), and I have two questions:

1) What was the point of the flood? I mean, if it was to rid the world of less than holy people we can see that this clearly did not work. And this leads me to my next point
2) God presumably is all known (i.e. omniscience). This verse (Genesis 6:7 "the Lord "repenteth...that [He] had made them".) This seems to express regret. Surely God knew how bad and corrupt we would have been? As well, couldn't there have been a way to avoid the flood, since we can see that it did nothing to make man a more moral creature?

Calor
Jan 12th 2008, 03:12 AM
I think Genesis 6:6-7 really shows us God's own heart and what brings Him pain and grief. We can tell from the verses that God was very much upset to the point where He grieved that He made man (verse 5). And we can see that the cause of this was sin. All that was in mans heart at the time was evil.

Sin and evilness are the very opposites of God's character, He just can't stand them at all! God's character is that of a HOLY character, of complete moral purity. This is exactly the opposite of what we see in man at the time.

I think that when the verse says He was grieved at the creation of man, it's telling us what was on God's heart at the time. He didn't make a mistake and this is not the entire plan for mankind and His kingdom. We are given this so we can get to know more about God and His character so that when we know what grieves Him we will understand Him a little bit better.

I can't say why God chose to make the flood. But i can kind of see it as a baptism process for the whole world. He covered the earth in water to cleanse from it all the corruptness at that time. Later when His son came down we are all baptized in the Holy Spirit, so that our sins are covered before God.

matthew94
Jan 12th 2008, 03:19 AM
The flood gives us a record of God's judgment. We can not, now, intelligently pretend that warning of the coming Judgment is an empty threat.

Nihil Obstat
Jan 12th 2008, 05:07 AM
God never judges in a harsh manner - He always does exactly what is necessary in order to create a context where the most amount of people can give Him the greatest level of love. The global flood was necessary. He did not over-react, nor did He do so emotionally unstable. Of all the tribes on the earth in Noah's day, the Sethites were who the promised Seed - the Redeemer - would be born. Yet of all the Sethites, Noah was the only just man. It is said of all the other Sethites, "every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually" (Gen. 6:5). If God hadn't sent the global flood, the promised Seed may not have come at all! He did this that Christ would be born, the Savior!

Romans 11 (NKJV)
30 For as you were once disobedient to God, yet have now obtained mercy through their disobedience, 31 even so these also have now been disobedient, that through the mercy shown you they also may obtain mercy. 32 For God has committed them all to disobedience, that He might have mercy on all. 33 Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out!

- Lk.11

My heart's Desire
Jan 12th 2008, 05:43 AM
The point of the flood is somewhat interesting. Some thoughts I have is that men lived very long, long lives and perhaps God knew they would end up destroying themselves.
I also equate the flood in some way to the Garden of Eden. When man disobeyed and acquired knowledge of good and evil, God shut off the access to the tree of life so they might not continue in evil and live forever in that state. Somehow that seems similiar to the purpose of the flood too. Just some thoughts I have is all.

TEITZY
Jan 12th 2008, 09:53 AM
As Matthew94 pointed out, the Flood showed God's judgment upon sin and is also compared to Jesus' second coming when He will return to judge all the nations. There may also be a secondary reason and that has to do with the sons of God (fallen angels) producing offspring with the "daughters of men" (Gen 6:2-4). This unredeemable hybrid race of angel & human offspring had the potential to pollute the entire human population including the Godly line of Noah from which the Saviour would come.

Cheers
Leigh

Jude1:21
Jan 12th 2008, 11:33 AM
There are many examples in scripture where God destroyed the wicked the Great Flood being the most profound event.
There is the example of the destruction of Sodom and Gomarrah,the eventual destruction of the City of Nineveh.
That God caused the Wondering of the Jews in the wilderness 40 years till all those generations were gone because they served Idols.
God instructing the Israelites to kill all ,man,woman and child of those tribes that lived in the promised land before the Israelites conquored it.
In some cases the Israelites actualy disobeyed God when He commanded this.
God also punished Israel for disobeying His Word,He punished their Kings.
He used the Asyrians,Babylonians,Greeks and Romans to punish Israel.
God actions were all out of love for His people,His Children

Duane Morse
Jan 12th 2008, 12:07 PM
Maybe it was simply to get rid of the dead wood, in order to make room for the new.

Tru_Knyte
Jan 13th 2008, 02:58 AM
THanks for the replies guys, it helped a lot. :)