PDA

View Full Version : Historical diet change question

walked
Jan 12th 2008, 06:22 AM
I recall hearing this several times but don't recall ever reading about it in scripture and, haven't been successful at searching it out.

If anyone can give a scripture to answer this I would be very thankful.

That men following God had a vegetarian diet up to the time of the flood, and after the flood God gave permission for Noah and his to eat flesh/meat then.

Thanks, any scripture or even comments or other references to this would be helpful.

sojourner42
Jan 12th 2008, 01:12 PM
You might want to look at this thread:
http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=111566

In Genesis chapter 1, the original diet is mentioned. Near the beginning of chapter 9 is where God gives Noah permission to eat animals.

tgallison
Jan 12th 2008, 01:53 PM
I recall hearing this several times but don't recall ever reading about it in scripture and, haven't been successful at searching it out.

That men following God had a vegetarian diet up to the time of the flood, and after the flood God gave permission for Noah and his to eat flesh/meat then.

Thanks, any scripture or even comments or other references to this would be helpful.

Animal sacrifice was instituted before the flood.

Genesis 4:4 "And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the Lord had respect unto Abel and to his offering:"

sojourner42
Jan 12th 2008, 01:57 PM
Animal sacrifice was instituted before the flood.

Genesis 4:4 "And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the Lord had respect unto Abel and to his offering:"

Yes, but did they eat it? Since the question was about diet... :hmm:

daughter
Jan 12th 2008, 01:57 PM
Yes, sacrifice was instituted before the flood. That doesn't mean meat eating was though. The fact that God granted dispensation to eat animals suggests that we weren't eating them before the flood.

Interestingly, of all the animal foods that humans eat sheep or goats milk is the easiest to digest... I suspect we may have consumed mmilks or cheese from these animals, and worn woolen garments, as well as skins when the animals died, or as a result of sacrifice. But I don't think we were eating them.

jeffreys
Jan 12th 2008, 02:49 PM
Some very, very interesting answers. Thanks!

The creation account, of Genesis 1, does give humans dominion over all creation. But it does not specifically say that they were allowed to eat the animals.

Concerning the sacrifice of animals, the later pattern was that the meat from the sacrificed animals would be eaten. But it doesn't say that was the case with Cain.

This is a very interesting point to ponder, and one with no absolute "thus saith the Lord" answers. I hope it brings about much pondering, but not division. :)

tgallison
Jan 12th 2008, 07:52 PM
Yes, but did they eat it? Since the question was about diet... :hmm:

Don't know if they ate it. But the sacrifice, wasn't it a picture of the passover lamb? And wasn't the passover lamb eaten? And didn't Jesus say, take eat this is my body?

These are just questions. When the Bible doesn't say, everything else is just conjecture.

terrell

RogerW
Jan 12th 2008, 08:24 PM

It seems to me that God is merely repeating to Noah what He had already said to Adam at creation. The same dominion God gave Adam over every living thing that moves upon the earth, He also gave to Noah. In 1:30 God gave every beast of the earth, every fowl of the air, and every thing that creeps upon the earth that has life as meat (food), as well as every green herb. God gave to Noah the same He had given to Adam in the beginning, and I do not find a prohibition against eating meat.

Ge 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

To have dominion means they could do with them whatsoever they pleased.

Ge 1:29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
Ge 1:30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

Ge 9:2 And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon every fowl of the air, upon all that moveth upon the earth, and upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered.
Ge 9:3 Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

Many Blessings,
RW

walked
Jan 12th 2008, 08:33 PM
Thank you RogerW (http://bibleforums.org/member.php?u=19529)

Thats what I was searching for 'scripture' :pp :pp :pp