PDA

View Full Version : Humility

heart13
Jan 14th 2008, 12:47 AM
I'm in the middle of reading an extaordinary book called "the Prideful Soul's Guide to Humility" and am awestruck as to all the different ways pride can affect one's outlook and approach to life.

I began my search for deeper understanding of humility due to a character program that is established in my workplace. Every year on the anniversary of an employee's start date they are given a 'character award'. It's a plaque that congratulates them on exemplifying a certain character trait in their work along with examples. (i.e. honesty, loyalty, orderliness, thoroughness, diligence, etc.) In a recent discussion with my boss, he counseled me on becoming more familiar with and atuned to the character trait of humility. What a humbling experience that can be - to be told by a superior that you've got a big head! :o:blush:

But I knew in my heart that he was right and I had a lot of work to do...

I never really understood what that word meant. I mean, I was familiar with the saying, 'it's hard to be humble when you're perfect in every way' (I think that's how it goes...) but never really equated it with myself. But after reading more on the topic (the book mentioned earlier is excellent!) I feel as though I'm a VERY long way from being the type of person God wants for us all to be.

I was wondering if any of you struggle with the concept of humility, and how you go about facing it on a daily basis.

Thank you!

evrgreenjhawk
Jan 14th 2008, 03:41 AM
I used to think humility meant being humiliated :o and maybe that gives an idea of how unaware I was of my pride being a major flaw in my character.
For myself I really was felt I was led to so many answers by reading Paul's letters in the New Testament. If you are really searching for answers as I was, perhaps you will develop a thirst as I did. Maybe start with Romans or 1 Corinthians.

Peace bwy

Friend of I AM
Jan 14th 2008, 02:30 PM
I'm in the middle of reading an extaordinary book called "the Prideful Soul's Guide to Humility" and am awestruck as to all the different ways pride can affect one's outlook and approach to life.

I began my search for deeper understanding of humility due to a character program that is established in my workplace. Every year on the anniversary of an employee's start date they are given a 'character award'. It's a plaque that congratulates them on exemplifying a certain character trait in their work along with examples. (i.e. honesty, loyalty, orderliness, thoroughness, diligence, etc.) In a recent discussion with my boss, he counseled me on becoming more familiar with and atuned to the character trait of humility. What a humbling experience that can be - to be told by a superior that you've got a big head! :o:blush:

I never really understood what that word meant. I mean, I was familiar with the saying, 'it's hard to be humble when you're perfect in every way' (I think that's how it goes...) but never really equated it with myself. But after reading more on the topic (the book mentioned earlier is excellent!) I feel as though I'm a VERY long way from being the type of person God wants for us all to be.

I was wondering if any of you struggle with the concept of humility, and how you go about facing it on a daily basis.

Thank you!

Definitely. The difficult part I've had within my life is distinguishing between false humility and the true humility that God offers. Godly humility can only really be achieved through walking in the spirit and trusting in God. We can only get so far with our emotions to emulate God's character, but in the end - true humility comes from walking with our creator and him gracefully imparting his spirit upon us.

RevLogos
Jan 15th 2008, 12:53 AM
There is a story in the Old testament that is a good read and may give you some insight into humility. In Daniel Chapter 4 we read the story of King Nebuchadnezzar, the most powerful man on earth at that time, around 600 BC.

King Nebuchadnezzar, at his height of power, was humbled before God. He dreamed of a giant tree that was cut down. Bothered by this he asked Daniel to interpret his dream. For a few years he became like an animal, grazing on grass. But later was restored. He learns his lesson and praises and glorifies God.

In the end we learn that humility means realizing that we are totally powerless before God no matter how much power or control we believe we have on earth. But we also learn that while God can humble us, God can restore us as well.

Friend of I AM
Jan 17th 2008, 02:16 PM
There is a story in the Old testament that is a good read and may give you some insight into humility. In Daniel Chapter 4 we read the story of King Nebuchadnezzar, the most powerful man on earth at that time, around 600 BC.

King Nebuchadnezzar, at his height of power, was humbled before God. He dreamed of a giant tree that was cut down. Bothered by this he asked Daniel to interpret his dream. For a few years he became like an animal, grazing on grass. But later was restored. He learns his lesson and praises and glorifies God.

In the end we learn that humility means realizing that we are totally powerless before God no matter how much power or control we believe we have on earth. But we also learn that while God can humble us, God can restore us as well.

Amen. Realizing our complete and utter dependancy on and power of our creator regarding all things. That's what God is gradually assisting me in getting to nowadays. It's the most difficult process I've ever been through, because I've been told so much that everything we do is should be self motivated or rooted in something worldly, not God motivated. Even down to the simple concepts of being humble and forgiving ourselves and others. Those are all rooted in God, not in ourselves. It's almost like one has to pray to God to reprogram their brain and heart, due to all of the false programming they've received over the years.

Whispering Grace
Jan 17th 2008, 02:45 PM
As a wise person once said...

Humility is a curious thing. The instant you think you've got it, you've lost it!

Friend of I AM
Jan 17th 2008, 03:18 PM

Humility is a curious thing. The instant you think you've got it, you've lost it!

A good example of Godly humility below..;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id-dRTcDQA8

Confused64
Jan 17th 2008, 03:21 PM
It's the hardest thing for me to get a grip on, but I believe that I'm getting better (I won't say definitively that I am because then I would be being boastful and proud). I make a point of reading Matthew 6: 25-34 everyday, and I think this helps me a lot.

dhtraveler
Jan 17th 2008, 03:33 PM
Maybe its my lack of humility which causes me to even mention this but.

you posted this

a character program that is established in my workplace.

This seem very foreign to me as a program to be given in the work place. I hope that we do not become a society where pointing out ones lack of character becomes the job of bosses in the work place.

Maybe this is a special circumstance? Discrimination over appearance, age, race, gender, color and size are already illegal. Please lets not start judging character traits too.

dht:hmm:

Ayala
Jan 17th 2008, 03:57 PM
I began my search for deeper understanding of humility due to a character program that is established in my workplace. Every year on the anniversary of an employee's start date they are given a 'character award'. It's a plaque that congratulates them on exemplifying a certain character trait in their work along with examples. (i.e. honesty, loyalty, orderliness, thoroughness, diligence, etc.) In a recent discussion with my boss, he counseled me on becoming more familiar with and atuned to the character trait of humility.

Just remember...if you get a plaque for humility, don't hang it up or display it...that's the test in itself. :P

sjorgens
Jan 17th 2008, 08:22 PM

Thank you!

I don't struggle with humility because I am so much more humble and spiritual than everyone else I know. (LOL) :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol:

No... actually the Lord has been dealing with many things in my life for the past few months. I am starting to realize how much of my life has been inspired by pride. It seems to be the way the world trains us to be but then we have to remember who the ruler of this world is. I think the best we can do is to start the day off with prayer and scripture and ask the Lord to have his way with us. I suspect that if the Lord showed us everything about us that dosen't measure up to his standards all at once, we would be crushed and defeated so hes gentle. Its healthy to question our motives at the end of the day and allow the Lord to reveal to us what needs to be weeded out. Its all part of the growing process. I don't think we should EVER beat ourselves up for it because that in itself is an act of pride because we are saying that we can somehow make ourselves acceptable to God if we punish ourselves. This is an act of the flesh and we should rather, just give thanks to Jesus for already making us acceptable to God. In this we cannot boast or take credit because we are admitting that on our best day we are still an object of God's mercy and grace.

It sounds like an interesting book so I'll look for it.

God Bless
Dan

Theophilus
Jan 17th 2008, 08:33 PM
I pray for humility on a daily basis...mainly because I've been prideful most of my life. For the longest time, I had acquaintance with God...He was definitely in my "world sphere." However, there was only one throne in my life...one seat of control...and I was firmly seated upon it.

It was only after a very traumatic experience (brought about by my pride and the sin associated with it) that I realized that I could never live the life God wanted me to live, unless I submitted myself to His will...and not mine.

Call it an act of consecration, or simply call it giving everything to Him...but it was from that point of true surrender that pride started to be less of an issue.

Is it (pride) gone entirely? No...I say with deep shame that sometimes (and definitely more than I'd like), pride rears its ugly head. The key is to recognize it quickly, and squash it as soon as you do recognize. The longer the walk with God, and the greater desire to serve Him...the easier it is to keep pride in check.

Discipline helps. Daily prayer, Bible reading, scripture memorization, church fellowship...and even being on here helps me.

I'm not the man I was...but I'm not the man I'm going to be, either. Pride may always have some small place in my life, but by God's grace, it will be a diminishing place.

Kingsdaughter
Jan 17th 2008, 09:01 PM
True humility comes from God through the Holy Spirit living on the inside of every born-again believer. It is not something we can work on or bring about ourselves. It is only when we die to "self" and allow Him to do His will through us, will others then see humility. Not because we have humility, but because we have Him.

Mograce2U
Jan 18th 2008, 04:23 PM
Hi Heart13,

(Mat 23:10-12 KJV) Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ. {11} But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant. {12} And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.

(Eph 6:5-9 KJV) Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ; {6} Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart; {7} With good will doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men: {8} Knowing that whatsoever good thing any man doeth, the same shall he receive of the Lord, whether he be bond or free. {9} And, ye masters, do the same things unto them, forbearing threatening: knowing that your Master also is in heaven; neither is there respect of persons with him.

These two points I think need to be considered together. The first is that it is Christ whom we serve, yet in the world we are to be obedient and under submission to our bosses and other authorities. Servanthood is to be our focus, and one cannot serve others without first yielding himself to the will of the Lord.

Not knowing if your boss is a Christian or not, I would ask him how he defines the humility he perceives that you lack so you can clarify what his concern is. It may not be "humility" at all. Perhaps he thinks you are opposing or undermining his authority or someone else's? I suppose this is some behavioral thing he has noticed, which could just be personality differences and not a character flaw. Behavior you can change if needed. But the Lord alone can change your character!

If you are being argumentative when given tasks to do, or justifying yourself at every turn, then you are not yielding yourself to the Lord or to your boss. It would help to know just what the problem is.

RobbieP
Jan 20th 2008, 03:15 AM

Exactly!!!!! I was thinking about how sometimes I strive so hard to reach a goal in my Christian walk and I have always strive to be humble..........Then I start to 'feel good' about me because I was succeeding in being humble........BAM!!!!:B That's not being very humble........There goes all that work I was striving for......

And I will caution: at one point in my early Christian walk...I sometimes wondered aren't we ever suppose to feel good about ourselves? There was so much talk how we were no good and nothing absolutely nothing but dung......It would get downright depressing...

God loved us so much that He sent His son and now we are joint heirs with HIm....We can have joy that He did that for us....
And when we win those battles because of allowing the Holy Spirit to work on us then it's a battle won! Amen....
Joy in a battle won is one thing (and I think it is okay) and knowing you could only do it because of Him is humblesness...

DoinMyBest
Jan 20th 2008, 03:39 AM
How ironic is it that after we accept the sacrifice that has been made for us (complete forgiveness), we struggle with the feeling that we are not worthy of receiving it, but after we have considered ourselves Christians for a while, we tend to go back to the mindset that we can take care of things for ourselves.

This kind of pride is something that I find myself struggling with almost daily....not the kind of pride where I think that I am the best ever, but the pride that tells me that no one is better equipped to run my life than me.

Fortunately for us, He is always willing to forgive us and take us back-however many times as we fall.