PDA

View Full Version : Is resting in the Spirit biblical or not?

servantsheart
Jan 14th 2008, 02:03 AM
This has probably been discussed over and over but I have been away from the board for a while. I was recently questioned about my belief that resting in the Spirit is not ok and is not biblical. It is a very calm state of being. There is no thoughts or worries crossing your mind. To me I wonder if it is not closely related to the way people feel when they have had a near death experience....meaning that you want to remain in this state or to re-enter it.
I have rested in the Spirit several times and have never been slapped in the face, pushed down or kneed from behind. The people simply prayed over me while laying hands on me (usually for a healing of my back, leg, or asthmatic bronchitis). If we can pray for God to heal someone through us as we lay hands on them then why would it not be possible for us to receive the full experience of the Holy Spirit who indwells in our hearts...after all it is God who is doing the indwelling by way of the Holy Spirit and God can do anything. Are we putting God in a box to say that this is wrong or not biblical?
Thanks for your input. Servantsheart

Sherrie
Jan 14th 2008, 02:09 AM
My first husband died in 2000. His tombstone says "Resting In Jesus". Never heard of what you are talking about.

Sherrie

servantsheart
Jan 14th 2008, 02:12 AM
My first husband died in 2000. His tombstone says "Resting In Jesus". Never heard of what you are talking about.

Sherrie

Hi, I think some refer to it as being slain in the Spirit.

Sherrie
Jan 14th 2008, 02:15 AM
hmmmmm...then I was slain in the Spirit, when I first accepted Jesus Christ as my Saviour. I did not need to be repeatedly slain in the Spirit, because He never left me. He lives in me, and I live in Him.

Sherrie

servantsheart
Jan 14th 2008, 03:05 AM
hmmmmm...then I was slain in the Spirit, when I first accepted Jesus Christ as my Saviour. I did not need to be repeatedly slain in the Spirit, because He never left me. He lives in me, and I live in Him.

Sherrie

I was 'slain' in the Spirit when I first came to Jesus. I feel like the other times is happened that I 'rested' in the Spirit were 'gifts' so to speak. They came at times of needed comfort, healing, etc.
Servantsheart

markedward
Jan 14th 2008, 03:10 AM
If you're asking if it's okay to just chill out and turn your thoughts to God and such, that's perfectly fine.

However, "slain in the Spirit" is not found in the Bible (unless you're thinking of those two people who were literally slain by the Spirit in, what was it, Acts?). The "practice" is not in the Bible, it is not mentioned in the epistles, there is nothing about it to be seen in Scripture.

after all it is God who is doing the indwelling by way of the Holy Spirit and God can do anythingDo you know this are you are assuming it?

Of the cases I've heard of being "slain in the Spirit" a person almost always falls to the ground or something similar, often losing control of their body or becoming unconscious. In response to those cases I ask: why would God make you pass out and bruise your body on the floor? How could that possibly be productive to His kingdom to have His servants limp their way out of a church service? That sort of thing is strictly wrong because nothing beneficial comes of it. And of the few times people in the Bible are described as becoming "faint" in the presence of God, they aren't ever described as suddenly falling to the ground, they usually intentionally drop to their knees because they are just completely in awe and fear, not because they lost control of their bodies.

On the other hand, you have not described that sort of thing. All you have described is being content while people pray over you, in which case, I wouldn't say that is wrong.

specks
Jan 14th 2008, 11:21 AM
Of the cases I've heard of being "slain in the Spirit" a person almost always falls to the ground or something similar, often losing control of their body or becoming unconscious. In response to those cases I ask: why would God make you pass out and bruise your body on the floor? How could that possibly be productive to His kingdom to have His servants limp their way out of a church service?

What happened to Saul in Acts? It says that he fell to the ground and then after that he was blind. If Jesus did that, couldn't the Spirit do the same thing to someone today?

markedward
Jan 14th 2008, 04:17 PM
Later in the book of Acts (chapter 22), Paul describes the event to others, and he says how he "fell." He didn't fall down because he was "slain in the Spirit," he "fell" in the sense that he was overcome with awe and fear. It was a willful action, not an account of the loss of bodily function. He describes how others were with him and though they could see the vision, they could not understand what was going on. Similar instances can be seen throughout the Bible. In Daniel 8:15-17, Daniel sees Gabriel and falls down because of fear. Later in Daniel 10, Daniel describes how he and others were at the "great river" (Tigris), when he saw a vision of a man. He goes on to describe that only he saw the man, but everyone else that was with him were overcome with fear that they ran away. But Daniel himself was so terrified that he had no strength left, so that he dropped to the ground. He wasn't "slain in the Spirit," his body was weakened by fear. Immediately after this, Daniel says the man in his vision woke him up, helping him to sit on his knees. The man didn't want Daniel to lose bodily control, he wanted Daniel to have strength, completely the opposite of what it means to be "slain in the Spirit." At the very end of Ezekiel 1, Ezekiel falls down in reverance and fear of seeing God.

All of these instances of "falling down" are not because the individuals couldn't control their bodies because the Spirit took them over, it was an intentional act of reverance and fear.

As for Saul being blinded, it served two purposes; he couldn't continue his persecution against Christians while he was blind, and the very fact that he miraculously lost his sight upon seeing Christ's glory (again, see chapter 22) and that he regained his vision exactly as Christ told him he would was to serve as a sign to Saul that Christ was indeed who He and His disciples said He was.

AtHisFeet
Jan 14th 2008, 04:38 PM
What happened to Saul in Acts? It says that he fell to the ground and then after that he was blind. If Jesus did that, couldn't the Spirit do the same thing to someone today?

This was also a conversion experience for Saul(Paul). I've heard of this happening at a church not far from Charlotte and asked the folks there if it was a conversion experience that happened and they said 'No.'

I've always asked people for a scriptural basis for being slain in the spirit and every example brought forth was not indicative of what happens in the 'slaying' services they've attended.

Like the previous poster though, if you're simply talking about a calm feeling while you 'be still and know that God is God' then quite possibly we're discussing two different things.:)

servantsheart
Jan 15th 2008, 11:48 PM
Thank you to everyone for your input on my question. I do understand that the actual wording of being 'slain in the Spirit" is not in Scripture.
I just know what happened to me. And if the Spirit can raise the dead why couldn't the experience be described in God's word (fallings, fainting, having visions) as being this very thing. I don't believe that everyone receives this becasue they don't see it as possibility. I believe that resting in the Spirit is something you have to desire just like desiring the gift of praying in tongue. I think you have to want to pray in tonuge in order for the Spirit to give it to you and bring it out in you. If you fight against it and insist it can't be then you grieve the Spirit by not accepting his gift.
I know a lot of this is NT and many don't believe anything that is being said in the NT as far as being totally Holy Spirit filled and speaking in tongue as your own prayer language. Please don't get me wrong..I don't believe in speaking in tongue in church or in public church gatherings. I think it is for your private use as a very, very direct communication with God.
God even says in the NT that he is beginning something new...
Thanks again for your input. Servantsheat

Partaker of Christ
Jan 16th 2008, 12:25 AM
Thank you to everyone for your input on my question. I do understand that the actual wording of being 'slain in the Spirit" is not in Scripture.
I just know what happened to me. And if the Spirit can raise the dead why couldn't the experience be described in God's word (fallings, fainting, having visions) as being this very thing. I don't believe that everyone receives this becasue they don't see it as possibility. I believe that resting in the Spirit is something you have to desire just like desiring the gift of praying in tongue. I think you have to want to pray in tonuge in order for the Spirit to give it to you and bring it out in you. If you fight against it and insist it can't be then you grieve the Spirit by not accepting his gift.
I know a lot of this is NT and many don't believe anything that is being said in the NT as far as being totally Holy Spirit filled and speaking in tongue as your own prayer language. Please don't get me wrong..I don't believe in speaking in tongue in church or in public church gatherings. I think it is for your private use as a very, very direct communication with God.
God even says in the NT that he is beginning something new...
Thanks again for your input. Servantsheat

Are you are saying that people who don't believe being 'slain in the spirit' or 'slain by the Spirit', is because they do not believe what is in the NT. If so then would you please show us were it is scriptural.
I certainly don't find anywhere that says, people get slain in the spirit, or by the Spirit to be healed or delivered from something.

markedward
Jan 16th 2008, 12:42 AM
Thank you to everyone for your input on my question. I do understand that the actual wording of being 'slain in the Spirit" is not in Scripture.Neither is "trinity," but the concept of the trinity can be supported by Scripture.

I just know what happened to me. And if the Spirit can raise the dead why couldn't the experience be described in God's word (fallings, fainting, having visions) as being this very thing.Because, again, the instances of people "falling" was an intentional action of them essentially bowing down in reverance and fear. The instances of people "fainting" was their bodies becoming weak with fear, in which case they were always told to stand up and have strength, not to lay on the ground and be unable to move.

I don't believe that everyone receives this becasue they don't see it as possibility. I believe that resting in the Spirit is something you have to desire just like desiring the gift of praying in tongue. I think you have to want to pray in tonuge in order for the Spirit to give it to you and bring it out in you. If you fight against it and insist it can't be then you grieve the Spirit by not accepting his gift.For one, the epistles explain that not all gifts are for everyone. Just because a person can't speak in tongues doesn't mean they reject the idea of being able to, it could simply mean that they weren't chosen to receive that gift. Second, the "gifts of the Spirit" are described in Scripture, and there is Scripture to support them. One of these gifts was "having visions" yes, but that is not equivalent to dropping to the floor involuntarily or something similar. As stated before, when people "fell" it was either an intentional action or involuntary on the account of weakness and terror, not because they were filled by the Holy Spirit (you described your experience as being calming and peaceful, entirely the opposite of what we see happening to the example we see in Scripture).

I know a lot of this is NT and many don't believe anything that is being said in the NT as far as being totally Holy Spirit filled and speaking in tongue as your own prayer language.Then those people are, in a word, fools for denying the power of the Holy Spirit and the Truth of the words of God's messengers. But, again, we do not see anything about being "slain in the Spirit" (in any sort of description) in the New Testament.

Please don't get me wrong..I don't believe in speaking in tongue in church or in public church gatherings. I think it is for your private use as a very, very direct communication with God.Then wouldn't you be one of the people who doesn't believe what is said in the NT? There are both of these kinds of "speaking in tongues" seen in Scripture, both the "private use" and the "public use" kinds. In fact, the very first example we see in the New Testament of "speaking in tongues" was the public gathering kind (the one that you say you don't believe in), in Acts 2.

stillforgiven
Jan 16th 2008, 12:52 AM
This has probably been discussed over and over but I have been away from the board for a while. I was recently questioned about my belief that resting in the Spirit is not ok and is not biblical. It is a very calm state of being. There is no thoughts or worries crossing your mind. To me I wonder if it is not closely related to the way people feel when they have had a near death experience....meaning that you want to remain in this state or to re-enter it.
I have rested in the Spirit several times and have never been slapped in the face, pushed down or kneed from behind. The people simply prayed over me while laying hands on me (usually for a healing of my back, leg, or asthmatic bronchitis). If we can pray for God to heal someone through us as we lay hands on them then why would it not be possible for us to receive the full experience of the Holy Spirit who indwells in our hearts...after all it is God who is doing the indwelling by way of the Holy Spirit and God can do anything. Are we putting God in a box to say that this is wrong or not biblical?
Thanks for your input. Servantsheart

I've experienced a "resting" in the Spirit, and it had nothing to do with being at church or having hands laid on me. I had been in a very intense time of prayer and worship here alone at home, and I reached a point where I felt at perfect peace and rest while still awake. I can't explain it, and I wouldn't classify it as "slain", but I won't accept that it was evil or wrong. I needed a supernatural rest at that moment in my life, and I think that the Lord provided it.

AtHisFeet
Jan 16th 2008, 04:35 AM
I've experienced a "resting" in the Spirit, and it had nothing to do with being at church or having hands laid on me. I had been in a very intense time of prayer and worship here alone at home, and I reached a point where I felt at perfect peace and rest while still awake. I can't explain it, and I wouldn't classify it as "slain", but I won't accept that it was evil or wrong. I needed a supernatural rest at that moment in my life, and I think that the Lord provided it.

I'm glad you cleared that up.

I think it's pretty obvious that what you experienced is not what is commonly thought of being slain in the spirit.

I think most of are talking about a phenomena that occurs (apparently at the whim of the leader) where folks are touched and then they fall.

Two different things. Yours sounds very personal. We serve a personal God. I myself have experienced something similar during a quiet time or personal worship time.

markedward
Jan 16th 2008, 06:43 AM
I've experienced a "resting" in the Spirit, and it had nothing to do with being at church or having hands laid on me. I had been in a very intense time of prayer and worship here alone at home, and I reached a point where I felt at perfect peace and rest while still awake. I can't explain it, and I wouldn't classify it as "slain", but I won't accept that it was evil or wrong. I needed a supernatural rest at that moment in my life, and I think that the Lord provided it.Yes, that sort of experience I don't see anything wrong with. Finding rest in God is a good thing (after all, Jesus is our sabbath, essentially).

But I think the overall tone of the thread over to the traditional "thud" experience (i.e., "slain in the Spirit," where the Spirit "comes over" you and you lose bodily control and simply drop to the floor... or wherever you may be when it happens).

godsgirl
Jan 16th 2008, 02:43 PM
Being slain in the spirit is just our flesh reacting to His presence. Nothing else. It's not a big deal either way. And Mark is right-speaking in tongues in the church with interpretation following is most Biblical. There are at least 3 uses for tongues in the Word-we don't have any right to change it.

AtHisFeet
Jan 16th 2008, 03:03 PM
Being slain in the spirit is just our flesh reacting to His presence.

I've really tried to look into this and really don't condemn it, but I can't find a biblical basis for being slain in the spirit.

I will say this though, I read that sentence I quoted above and I totally agree with it. It is our flesh reacting to something. It is not, in my opinion, our spirit.

godsgirl
Jan 16th 2008, 08:12 PM
Here are some examples of people being slain in the spirit in scripture---so, yes it is Biblical.

1. The priests in the OT-could not stand to minister because the presence of the Lord was so strong

2. Daniel-fell at his feet as dead

3. The soldiers who came to arrest Jesus

4. Paul on the road to Damascus

If you want-I can look up the scripture references for you.

markedward
Jan 16th 2008, 11:17 PM
Here are some examples of people being slain in the spirit in scripture---so, yes it is Biblical.

[quote]1. The priests in the OT-could not stand to minister because the presence of the Lord was so strongWhere does it say they were "slain in the Spirit?" All it says was that they "could not stand to minister." If I say "I could not stand to eat broccoli" it doesn't mean that I fell to the floor and therefore was unable to eat the broccoli. When the OT says the priests couldn't "stand to minister" it meant that they were unable to minister because the presence of God was so overpowering. Nothing says their bodies suddenly dropped to the floor.

2. Daniel-fell at his feet as deadHe "fell" because of fear of what he was seeing. Haven't you ever seen someone "freeze up" or even faint from fear? Example: an episode of Heroes, Hiro Nakamura is in New York. He comes upon a dead body, and right then the police come in, catching him examining a gun by the body. He was so overcome with fear and terror that he fainted. Yes, it's a TV show, but it is something that actually happens to people.

3. The soldiers who came to arrest JesusThese men were not believers. If being "slain in the Spirit" is a spiritual gift along the lines of speaking in tongues as some here have stated, why were unbelievers the ones being slain? Why don't we ever see Jesus laying hands upon anyone and they get "slain," if it's such a good thing to have happen? These men were adamantly against Jesus and therefore the Spirit's power, so if being "slain in the Spirit" is a gift for believers why would these unbelievers be affected? In that case, if a "gift" happened to the unlikely unbelievers, wouldn't it surely have happened to the believers who were standing right there? The thing is, it didn't, so if being "slain in the Spirit" is an actual thing that happens, it would happen against unbelievers, not believers.

4. Paul on the road to DamascusAlready addressed: It was "falling" in the sense of essentially jumping down to his knees and stomach in order to bow down. Paul was faced with a vision of a glorious and probably powerful being, so it was a willful act of submission to that being, whom he knew was God. Besides, Paul was an unbeliever in the power of Christ, so if he actually was unwillingly made to be unable to control his body, it would have been a bad thing for him, not a good thing. God didn't blind Paul because he was a good man overcome with the Spirit, He blinded Paul because Paul was doing terrible things, so if the "fall" was against Paul's will, it would have been bad for him, not good.

Paul's case is similar to a second time that Daniel had a vision. They each were the only ones able to see the vision, but they were each surrounded by other people who felt the presence of the vision but could not see it. In both cases, Daniel and Paul each fell to the ground of their own will, while the rest of the people were overcome with fear.

In short: the power of the Spirit is supposed to uplift people, not slam them into the floor. I mean, when John and Peter encountered the man who couldn't walk, the power of the Spirit helped him get up. They didn't slap him in the forehead and he fell to the ground, they told him to "rise up."

markedward
Jan 16th 2008, 11:31 PM
Something all of you need to keep in mind:

We need to consider a possibility that if true, can be unspeakably dangerous for the participants, that is, the operation of demonic powers. Many who have studied occult phenomena in false religions find that “slain in the Spirit” is not a new phenomenon. This power is found in Hinduism, the wife of Shiva the destroyer is kali known also as Shakti the force. When a devotee receives the touch from the Guru on the forehead they can be knocked to the ground, they can laugh, shake or experience being caught up in some ecstatic illumination experiencing Nirvana and light. There are many pagan religious practices, such as “shakti-pat” by Hindu gurus, which when observed looks exactly like being “slain in the Spirit.” The only difference is that their practices came first, preceding the modern Pentecostal practice. The cults also describe the Spirit as a force. Bruce R. McConkie, who was an apostle and authority of the Mormon Church wrote, “The Spirit of God which emanates from Deity may be likened to electricity” (Mormon Doctrine, pp. 752-53). Isn’t this what we are hearing from those experiencing these manifestations?Everytime I have heard a person describe a first-hand experience of witnessing a congregation being "slain in the Spirit" it was exactly like what is described in the quote above, from the people dropping to the floor, to the uncontrollable laughter, to the shaking and whatnot. If a practice like being "slain in the Spirit" is not actually found in the Bible (i.e., all examples that have been cited to support it actually don't), and the exact same acts are found in pagan religions that have existed for longer than Christianity, then it's probably something to consider may not be spiritually safe.

But, again, the original experience described was simply being calm and relaxed, not being knocked to the floor.

godsgirl
Jan 17th 2008, 01:58 AM
Excuse me, but I never said being slain in the spirit was a spiritual gift. I've been slain in the spirit and for me, it was my reaction to the presence of God-nothing less, and whoopee, just because satan can counterfit the things of God-means nothing to me as a Blood bought Christian.

Whether voluntary or involuntary, "falling before the Lord" as a human response to the manifestation of the Holy Spirit is seen by many Pentecostals and Charismatics as a phenomenon that is in harmony with the Scriptures. In the Bible, falling while in the presence of God was at times also accompanied by manifestations of trembling, physical weakness and deep sleep.

Instances of voluntarily falling before the Lord to worship or pray may be found in Genesis 17:3 and Joshua 5:14. References to voluntarily falling as the result of feeling overwhelmed by a divine presence are found in Numbers 22:31, Judges 13:20, Ezekiel 1:28, Ezekiel 3:23, Ezekiel 43:3, Ezekiel 44:4, Daniel 8:17 and Matthew 17:6. However, these verses seem to imply falling forward in humility, and it would seem there are no verses to imply falling upon being touched by someone.

Instances of involuntarily falling before the Lord as the result of feeling overwhelmed by a divine presence are found in 1 Kings 8:10-11, Daniel 8:27, Daniel 10:8-11 (possibly implied), Acts 9:3-4 (also Acts 26:14) and Revelation 1:17.

Both voluntary and involuntary falling before the Lord can also occur as the result of a power encounter—a person feels that the power of God is overtaking the power of a demonic force that has sought to control or oppress him or her. References to falling in the context of power encounters are found in Mark 3:11, Mark 9:20 and Luke 8:28, and John 18:6.

So, while I don't see it as some kind of be all end all experience-and I definitly dont go for the let's all fall down services I've seen in a few Charismatic churches-it is Biblical.

markedward
Jan 17th 2008, 02:01 AM
Excuse me, but I never said being slain in the spirit was a spiritual gift.Read the entirety of what I said.
If being "slain in the Spirit" is a spiritual gift along the lines of speaking in tongues as some here have statedI didn't say you said that, I said "some here." And again, how do you know it's a thing of God if it's not in the Bible and the very examples you (and many others) have cited don't even support what the traditional "slain in the Spirit" experience is?

I must ask then: if you were "slain in the Spirit," what exactly happened? What was the setting, what happened to you, what happened to others who may have been there? And I ask that you could answer with more than "it was my reaction to the prsence of God-nothing less."

servantsheart
Jan 17th 2008, 04:52 AM
Yes, that sort of experience I don't see anything wrong with. Finding rest in God is a good thing (after all, Jesus is our sabbath, essentially).

But I think the overall tone of the thread over to the traditional "thud" experience (i.e., "slain in the Spirit," where the Spirit "comes over" you and you lose bodily control and simply drop to the floor... or wherever you may be when it happens).

I wanted to say that my experience with this was in a church setting but only a couple of us who had hands laid on us were the ones who rested. I have never seen a whole church do this. Nor have I ever seen anyone loose control of their bodily functions, twist and do anything wird on the floor. It does seem to be a Chrismatic acceptance of what I would describe as a super natural manifestation of the Holy Spirit from within.
If we believe ( believe by faith) that God is who he says he is and that we have what his word tells us we have and we can do what it tells us we can do... that our God is of the super natural...if we can be quiet and listen to God and hear his secrets being revealed to us...if we know each of us was created for signs and wonders in these end times...if we understand that the kingdom of heaven is within us Luke 17:21 and surrounding us...Then we are experiencing the anointing of the Spirit in the supernatural.
I don't think we can put the Holy Spirit/God in a box and still believe in a God who is a spirit form, who gives us his spiritural language (tongue), and makes us heirs with his Son, Jesus Christ. To die and to be raised from the dead with new spiritural bodies.
The NT is all about God saying he is doing something new. Christ died from the human form he took on and he is in spirit form in the third heaven with God. I believe God is trying to train us up to accept the supernatural world and not be limited to 'earthly body' thinking.
It is in Eph.6:10-18 to put on our armor of God (verse 12) for we are not wrestling with flesh and blood, [contending only with physical opponents], but against the despotisms, against the powers, against [the master spirits who are] the world rulers of this present darkness, against the spirit forces of wickedness in the heavenly (supernatural) sphere. Amplified Bible
I will end by saying that I believe for anyone who does not have or want the gift of tongue or the supernatural resting in the spirit, then they will oppose it. I did not believe in any of it until I was born again and received my spiritural gift of tongue and rested in the spirit. So, unless it happens to you you probably will not accept or believe in it. Servantsheart

AtHisFeet
Jan 17th 2008, 05:43 AM

1. The priests in the OT-could not stand to minister because the presence of the Lord was so strong

2. Daniel-fell at his feet as dead

3. The soldiers who came to arrest Jesus

4. Paul on the road to Damascus

If you want-I can look up the scripture references for you.

I haven't read all the posts past this one, so if there's other responses, please understand I haven't viewed them.

First, I am earnestly seeking the truth on this phenomena. I am not looking for a confrontation but rather some healthy dialog. My mind is open to discuss this if yours is. The youth leader in place prior to me has exposed some of our youth to this and our church does not embrace it. If it's false, I want to be able to guide these youth. If it's truth, I want it too.

Now, regarding your examples above, I'll give a quick reply to each and then read on through the thread.

1. The priests in the OT-could not stand to minister because the presence of the Lord was so strongIs this what happens in your services? Are the priests and ministers unable to stand and perform their functions? I have not seen an example of that. Yours would be the first

2. Daniel-fell at his feet as deadIf I'm not mistaken, he was terrified. Almost everyone who ever fell before the Lord was terrified and certainly not an experience they were heading out to look for.

3. The soldiers who came to arrest JesusThese were non-believers coming to arrest the Savior of the world and they were knocked back by His presence. Again though, I don't think this is something these folks were seeking and certainly not an example of what I've seen/heard/read about.

4. Paul on the road to DamascusPaul was on his way to persecute Christians and was leveled during a conversion experience. Are the people being slain new converts and conversions?

Again, I'm not being confrontational. I will post scripture and my views on your examples but I'm really just looking for one person who can eventually give me one legitimate scriptural basis for what's commonly known as being slain in the spirit.

I'd like to add that this is still technically OT since I don't think this is what the OP was really talking about. The OPs personal, private experience seems to be in line.

AtHisFeet
Jan 17th 2008, 05:48 AM
If an individual at one of these services where being slain occurs wanted to resist and not fall down, could they?

markedward
Jan 17th 2008, 07:44 AM
I don't think we can put the Holy Spirit/God in a boxI don't think anyone here is trying to put the Holy Spirit in a box.

Personally, I am most certainly not trying to "narrow down" what the Spirit does do, but I am trying to show (for others and myself) what the Holy Spirit doesn't do. All of the examples given to support the "slain in the Spirit" doctrine are taken out of context. Daniel "fell" because he was overcome by terror. The priests of the temple never "fell," they simply couldn't stand to be in the temple because it was so overpowering to be in there. Paul "fell" in the sense of jumping down to the ground in order to bow down out of fear and reverence. None of the examples given truly describe anyone being "slain in the Spirit" as most people know it to be (heck, most of the examples given are completely inconsistent when compared to one another; some happen to believers, some happen to unbelievers, etc.).

Now, I apologize sincerely, but I still haven't grasped what exactly happened in your experience. Do you claim that you were simply being filled with the Holy Spirit, and that you were overcome with peace? Because the most commonly accepted idea of being "slain in the Spirit" involves a person physically losing control of their bodies so that they suddenly drop down where they are at (the usual example of which is the person is standing in a church aisle and when someone "anoints" them they simply drop to the floor). From what I've gathered from your posts, you don't seem to be describing that experience, so if this isn't what you're saying has happened to you, then I would classify you as having been "slain in the Spirit."

I do believe the Holy Spirit can bring rest and peace to us, but I see absolutely nothing spiritually beneficial out of suddenly falling down to the ground. If that form of experience, being "slain in the Spirit," is supposed to be a special anointing of the Spirit upon a believer, why do we never see it as happening to anyone in the Bible? I mean, the apostles had pretty much every spiritual experience happen to them, from prophesying to speaking in tongues to healing others to even being transported by the Spirit across the world. But not once do we see any of them being "slain in the Spirit" (i.e., we never see them driopping to the ground as a result of being filled with the Spirit), not even on the very day they were initially filled with the Spirit (the Pentecost).

But again, I do believe the Spirit can bring us rest and inner peace, which is definitely spiritually beneficial. But where does the traditional "slain in the Spirit" experience benefit anyone?

Instances of voluntarily falling before the Lord to worship or pray may be found in Genesis 17:3 and Joshua 5:14. References to voluntarily falling as the result of feeling overwhelmed by a divine presence are found in Numbers 22:31, Judges 13:20, Ezekiel 1:28, Ezekiel 3:23, Ezekiel 43:3, Ezekiel 44:4, Daniel 8:17 and Matthew 17:6. However, these verses seem to imply falling forward in humility, and it would seem there are no verses to imply falling upon being touched by someone.How are these people being "slain in the Spirit?" The traditionally accepted version of being "slain in the Spirit" is that a person is 'anointed' and they simply lose control of their body, so that it falls down wherever it may be. As you said, all of these are people intentionally dropping down to the ground to bow down in humility. They aren't being "slain in the Spirit," they're performing these actions of their own doing. The first two examples you gave are people bowing in reverance. Some of the later examples you say are because people are "feeling overwhelmed" so that they fall down... Numbers 22 is again bowing down in reverance. Same for Judges 13, and so on. Again, the commonly accepted 'definition' experience of being "slain in the Spirit" is that a person loses control of their body (have you ever woken up and your arm was "dead," as in, you literally couldn't control it? that is the generally accepted experience that "slain in the Spirit" refers to, when a person literally loses control of their body). Falling down in intentional reverance is hardly a person losing control of their motor functions.

Instances of involuntarily falling before the Lord as the result of feeling overwhelmed by a divine presence are found in 1 Kings 8:10-11, Daniel 8:27, Daniel 10:8-11 (possibly implied), Acts 9:3-4 (also Acts 26:14) and Revelation 1:17.Again, these were already addressed: 1 Kings 8 does not describe anyone "falling before the Lord." You are completely taking that passage out of context. All it says is that the priests were unable to perform their temple duties, it does not say their bodies fell to the ground involuntarily. In fact, it says the very opposite: "The priests withdrew from the temple." They voluntarily walked away from the temple, but we see absolutely no action of them involuntarily dropping to the ground.

Daniel 8.27: Daniel says he was "exhausted" and "ill" for several days. That's hardly an experience a person would want to happen to them if they were filled with the Spirit. The Holy Spirit is plainly described in Scripture as being uplifting to people, not dragging them down. What Daniel was saying was that the vision he had just had left him distraught and, essentially, "a wreck" or days on end. Compare it to a person having just seen an entire city destroyed a bomb of some kind; that person would be mentally and possibly physically exhausted from the experience because it would be so drastic.

Daniel 10: Again, already addressed. Daniel was overcome with fear, not the Spirit. And immediately after he faints, the 'man' speaking to him told him to get up. The man wanted him to have strength, not to be physically immobile.

Acts 9/26: For one, Saul was an unbeliever who was making a living off of persecuting the saints, so he was moving against the Spirit. This example is entirely inconsistent with the rest because it's an unbeliever being "slain in the Spirit." This passage would then go two ways; first, since he's an unbeliever, then his being "slain in the Spirit" would mean the Spirit knocked him to the ground as an act of opposition to Saul. Or second, the action was him willfully "falling" to the ground, in the same sense that the two people of the Judges passage you mentioned intentionally fell to the ground in order to bow down to the Angel of the LORD who had just risen out of their sight.

Lastly, Revelation 1.17: This is the exact same thing that happened to Daniel. John fainted from fear, not from being overcome with the Spirit. In fact, immediately after John fell down, Jesus tells him to "Do not be afraid." Jesus was telling John to "do not" as a response to John fainting. Jesus didn't want John to fall, He wanted him to have strength, the exact opposite of what being "slain in the Spirit" is.

None of the examples provided truly support being "slain in the Spirit" (dropping to the ground after losing control of one's own body) and in fact a few of them push against the idea, in that when the person "fell" they were immediately told things along the lines of "have strength" or "don't do that."

Now, just to clarify for all readers:

I do not define being "slain in the Spirit" as simply finding rest in the Spirit, or finding peace in the Spirit. I think those are perfectly good things. What I (and most other people who have heard of the term) define "slain in the Spirit" as, is that a person, usually upon being "anointed" by a preacher, arbitrarily loses control of their own body. The most common setting seen in this experience is at a church (usually of Charismatic or Pentecostal denomination), sometimes with the preacher having the members of the church congregation literally line up in order to be "anointed" (i.e., they are touched by the preacher, followed by the person falling to the ground, or into their pew, involuntarily). In those specific situations (the en masse "slaying in the Spirit" of a congregation, or even of an individual) sometimes even results in people getting bruised from having dropped to the floor with no way to catch themselves (or others, if referring to the en masse "slaying").

So, in my beliefs, just so that everyone can know plainly what I am saying:
The Spirit giving people rest and peace is good. It is spiritually beneficial to the person.
The Spirit (supposedly) causing people to fall to the ground, possibly resulting in bodily harm is bad. At the very least, it is bodily harmful, at the most it may even be tampering with ungodly spiritual work.

Brother Mark
Jan 17th 2008, 03:25 PM
If it's not mentioned in scripture does that mean God doesn't do it? If all the works done by Jesus had been listed in scripture, then the world could not contain the book.

I have a baptist friend that was "slain" in the Spirit and cut his head when he fell. Funny thing, his wife was healed a the same exact time. He didn't even realize his head was cut till they were driving away. He didn't really believe in it before he went but as a friend said to him "what do you have to lose"? His wife was sick and would eventually die. She was healed, and he was laid out. She is still healed today and he is still preaching in a baptist church. A house divided won't stand. The Lord told him to go and the Lord healed him.

If I was going to use scripture, I would use 2 different kinds. One, I would suggest that the "weight of glory" of the Lord can be felt. And 2, I would suggest that falling down as though one were dead was not a voluntary reflex but one of great awe and fear. Perhaps both are experienced when one is slain in the Spirit. The glory of the Lord is heavy and when it falls on someone, perhaps they may fall to the ground. ;)

Finally, I would also suggest that if the bible is going to be our complete standard for obedience, and it is, then perhaps we could go back to the garden of Eden where there was one no and many yeses. Maybe, just maybe we should find where such a thing is prohibited by scripture before we say it is not allowed. Why is the burden of proof on those that experience it? Something that is extrabiblical does not make it unbiblical. (Though in this instance, I think enough scripture is there to suggest something is going on.)

AtHisFeet
Jan 17th 2008, 04:32 PM
If it's not mentioned in scripture does that mean God doesn't do it? If all the works done by Jesus had been listed in scripture, then the world could not contain the book.

Of course not, but it does mena we should extra-diligent in examining it before we expose ourselves to it. And that's all I am trying to do, learn.

I have a baptist friend that was "slain" in the Spirit and cut his head when he fell. Funny thing, his wife was healed a the same exact time. He didn't even realize his head was cut till they were driving away. He didn't really believe in it before he went but as a friend said to him "what do you have to lose"? His wife was sick and would eventually die. She was healed, and he was laid out. She is still healed today and he is still preaching in a baptist church. A house divided won't stand. The Lord told him to go and the Lord healed him.

OK. But I have heard of healings in JW and Mormon services, does that mean God healed those folks?

If Satan can afflict us, can Satan not also remove the affliction?

I'm not saying that is what happened but are signs and wonders litmus tests to what's from God? If so, we now have serious issues with JW and Mormon claims of healing, don't we?

I hope and believe that that God healed your friend's wife. I have no reason to believe otherwise, but I'm really trying to use EXTREME discernment on this issue. So pray that I get my eyes opened, God is good and will show me His Truths if they are for me.

If I was going to use scripture, I would use 2 different kinds. One, I would suggest that the "weight of glory" of the Lord can be felt. And 2, I would suggest that falling down as though one were dead was not a voluntary reflex but one of great awe and fear. Perhaps both are experienced when one is slain in the Spirit. The glory of the Lord is heavy and when it falls on someone, perhaps they may fall to the ground. ;)

I have a personal opinion (and I stress opinion) that it would be a terrifying experience to come into the presence of the glory of the Lord. It was in scripture. It's why most every time it happened God or an angel would say 'Do not be afraid' before they said anything else. And I can't think of an example where anyone was actively seeking the experience on this side of eternity.(biblically, I mean)

Finally, I would also suggest that if the bible is going to be our complete standard for obedience, and it is, then perhaps we could go back to the garden of Eden where there was one no and many yeses. Maybe, just maybe we should find where such a thing is prohibited by scripture before we say it is not allowed. Why is the burden of proof on those that experience it? Something that is extrabiblical does not make it unbiblical. (Though in this instance, I think enough scripture is there to suggest something is going on.)

There is something going on, no doubt in my mind about that. I have folks that I consider good friends and strong believers that say 'This is real', but they still can't give me a biblical basis. And, unlike you, I believe that before I would allow something that could scare a non-believer away from Christ into worship, I do feel like it should be confirmed with scripture.

As far as your Eden comparison, I don't really get that. Not to be offensive but if that's our basis let's show up for a slaying service naked. It was OK in Eden, right?<--PS Please feel free to cut that if it's offensive, I honestly don't mean it to be.

turtledove
Jan 17th 2008, 04:46 PM
To me we are talking about a restful experience given by God in certain circumstances. The question is: is it good for the recepient? My experience which started years ago proves to me that it is. No one has ever pushed me down. Sometimes I have seen this happen in large crowds at conferences. Many just fall gently under the power of the Lord. No human person even touches them. It's kind of a surrender but you are always conscious and you can always get up. I know that those who haven't experienced this find it hard to understand. I do recall in the OT where when the glory and presence of God was so strong they couldn't stand. It is an awesome thing to "fall" into the hands of the living God.

AtHisFeet
Jan 17th 2008, 04:48 PM
To me we are talking about a restful experience given by God in certain circumstances. The question is: is it good for the recepient? My experience which started years ago proves to me that it is. No one has ever pushed me down. Sometimes I have seen this happen in large crowds at conferences. Many just fall gently under the power of the Lord. No human person even touches them. It's kind of a surrender but you are always conscious and you can always get up. I know that those who haven't experienced this find it hard to understand. I do recall in the OT where when the power of God was so strong they couldn't stand. It is an awesome thing to "fall" into the hands of the living God.

If you wanted to resist it and not fall, could you?

turtledove
Jan 17th 2008, 05:21 PM
If you wanted to resist it and not fall, could you? Very good question. Yes, not sure about everyone; but I have resisted that in the beginning but once I let it happen I never wanted to resist it again. It is a good thing. \o/

markedward
Jan 17th 2008, 06:05 PM
I do recall in the OT where when the glory and presence of God was so strong they couldn't stand. It is an awesome thing to "fall" into the hands of the living God.Already responded to multiple times... I'll quote my previous responses to it:

Where does it say they were "slain in the Spirit?" All it says was that they "could not stand to minister." If I say "I could not stand to eat broccoli" it doesn't mean that I fell to the floor and therefore was unable to eat the broccoli. When the OT says the priests couldn't "stand to minister" it meant that they were unable to minister because the presence of God was so overpowering. Nothing says their bodies suddenly dropped to the floor.

1 Kings 8 does not describe anyone "falling before the Lord." The passage is being taken completely out of context. All it says is that the priests were unable to perform their temple duties, it does not say their bodies fell to the ground involuntarily. In fact, it says the very opposite: "The priests withdrew from the temple." They voluntarily walked away from the temple, but we see absolutely no action of them involuntarily dropping to the ground.

AtHisFeet
Jan 17th 2008, 06:22 PM
Very good question. Yes, not sure about everyone; but I have resisted that in the beginning but once I let it happen I never wanted to resist it again. It is a good thing. \o/

Thanks for answering.

I've heard that from everyone I've ever asked and honestly, it's probably that one issue that gives me most trouble trying to accept and embrace this phenomenon.

To think I could come face to face with the spirit of the Living God and resist it's power over me if incomprehensible to me. I know we can resist the Holy Spirit's working in our lives, but this experience is something different than that, in my opinion. This experience is a one on one, up close and personal encounter between a mortal being and the power and spirit of the Immortal God of Creation.

How would one be able to resist that?

Again, if anyone is reading tone's of confrontation into my posts, please pray it out. I mean no disrespect or harm. I'm telling you (and I've told God) if this is of God, I want to know and share. If it isn't, I want to know and help. I'm not here to argue about this, I'm so thankful I have a place to talk about this with other believers.

In a forum open to non-believers, I wouldn't want to broach this subject too far.

Brother Mark
Jan 17th 2008, 08:18 PM
Of course not, but it does mena we should extra-diligent in examining it before we expose ourselves to it. And that's all I am trying to do, learn.

No problem there. Just test the fruits of it.

OK. But I have heard of healings in JW and Mormon services, does that mean God healed those folks?

If Satan can afflict us, can Satan not also remove the affliction?

I'm not saying that is what happened but are signs and wonders litmus tests to what's from God? If so, we now have serious issues with JW and Mormon claims of healing, don't we?

A house divided won't stand. Satan doesn't cast out Satan. We know that from scripture. God does heal many people, even unbelievers. He did that in the gospels too. One blind man got saved AFTER he was healed.

I hope and believe that that God healed your friend's wife. I have no reason to believe otherwise, but I'm really trying to use EXTREME discernment on this issue. So pray that I get my eyes opened, God is good and will show me His Truths if they are for me.

OK.

I have a personal opinion (and I stress opinion) that it would be a terrifying experience to come into the presence of the glory of the Lord. It was in scripture. It's why most every time it happened God or an angel would say 'Do not be afraid' before they said anything else. And I can't think of an example where anyone was actively seeking the experience on this side of eternity.(biblically, I mean)

No problem there either. I know a few people that were scared the first time it happened.

There is something going on, no doubt in my mind about that. I have folks that I consider good friends and strong believers that say 'This is real', but they still can't give me a biblical basis. And, unlike you, I believe that before I would allow something that could scare a non-believer away from Christ into worship, I do feel like it should be confirmed with scripture.

Check out the fruit. What impact does it have on folks? Do they want God more or less afterwards? Is that desire created by Satan?

As far as your Eden comparison, I don't really get that. Not to be offensive but if that's our basis let's show up for a slaying service naked. It was OK in Eden, right?<--PS Please feel free to cut that if it's offensive, I honestly don't mean it to be.

Well, we know being naked is wrong from other scriptures don't we? The point is that in the garden, the command was "to eat freely of all the trees but one". We have lost the word "freely" when it comes to Christ and our behavior. Eve lost it too when she quoted it back to Satan. There are far more yeses than nos when it comes to life. That's the point I was trying to make about the garden. So if the bible doesn't forbid it, why do we?

Blessings,

Mark

turtledove
Jan 17th 2008, 11:29 PM
Thanks for answering.

I've heard that from everyone I've ever asked and honestly, it's probably that one issue that gives me most trouble trying to accept and embrace this phenomenon.

To think I could come face to face with the spirit of the Living God and resist it's power over me if incomprehensible to me. I know we can resist the Holy Spirit's working in our lives, but this experience is something different than that, in my opinion. This experience is a one on one, up close and personal encounter between a mortal being and the power and spirit of the Immortal God of Creation.

Again, if anyone is reading tone's of confrontation into my posts, please pray it out. I mean no disrespect or harm. I'm telling you (and I've told God) if this is of God, I want to know and share. If it isn't, I want to know and help. I'm not here to argue about this, I'm so thankful I have a place to talk about this with other believers.

In a forum open to non-believers, I wouldn't want to broach this subject too far.

We can resist because God loves us so much that he gave us free will. Like I said, once this happened to me I never resisted it. And it first happened to me 33 years ago. I had been a Christian twenty years by then.

The most important thing to do whether you ever receive this experience or not, accept it or not, is to keep focusing on Jesus in all areas of your life. Praise Him. :amen:

Peace and prayers, :pray:

wiseoldowl

AtHisFeet
Jan 18th 2008, 01:45 AM
The most important thing to do whether you ever receive this experience or not, accept it or not, is to keep focusing on Jesus in all areas of your life. Praise Him. :amen:

amen wiseoldowl and thank you and Brother Mark for the discussion. Most of the ones I've had on this the people think I'm attacking them, and I'm really not.

All I want is all there is.

One thing though Brother Mark, regarding the healing thing. If Satan can make us sick, do you not also think he can remove that sickness?

Just a question out of curiosity.

RogerW
Jan 18th 2008, 02:59 AM
If God is working in this way today, i.e. supernatural signs and wonders, but warns us that Satan is also transformed into an angel of light, with all power and signs and lying wonders, and if possible could deceive the very elect...how would we know this phenomenon is from God? Would this type supernatural phenomenon be considered adding to the words of the prophecy of the Bible?

2Co 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
2Co 11:15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

2Th 2:9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,

Mt 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

Just food for thought :hmm:

Blessings,
RW

Brother Mark
Jan 18th 2008, 03:29 AM
One thing though Brother Mark, regarding the healing thing. If Satan can make us sick, do you not also think he can remove that sickness?

Just a question out of curiosity.

Perhaps. But then we find scripture that says all good gifts come from God. Is healing a good gift? A house divided cannot stand. Jesus described Satan as one who comes to steal, kill and destroy. Does healing fit that description? In the end, though Satan may be involved, we must give God praise and glory for a good gift.

If Satan removes his hand from someone, and their body heals, then praise the Lord.

As for resisting the whole thing, I would not worry about it too much. Be careful. Don't seek after it. Seek the Lord. I have never "rested in the Spirit" as this thread describes it though something close did happen. If your not comfortable with it, don't do it or be around it. It's not that big a deal right now. There have been many great men and women of God that never experienced such a thing.

godsgirl
Jan 18th 2008, 11:04 PM
I know that the first time it ever happened to me-all I could think about was that I wanted more of Him, more of Him, more of Him, The reality of our Supernatural God and His majesty and His ability to reach out and touch little old me has brought me closer to Him.

menJesus
Jan 18th 2008, 11:11 PM
I started a thread on this a minute or two ago - it is called They Could Not Stand.

Please look it up and read what I wrote. I will post my full experience on it somewhere in this thread.

Then ask the Holy Spirit Himself about it. Do not go to men for the things of God - go to the source Himself.

Please do not discount it because people say no - it is only the ones who have never experienced it who are the naysayers - once it happens to you you will change your mind in a heartbeat!

menJesus
Jan 18th 2008, 11:17 PM
I've really tried to look into this and really don't condemn it, but I can't find a biblical basis for being slain in the spirit.

I will say this though, I read that sentence I quoted above and I totally agree with it. It is our flesh reacting to something. It is not, in my opinion, our spirit.

My flesh never had a thing to do with anything. If one is slain in the Spirit, it is NOT of the flesh - it is between their spirit and the Spirit of God.

Been there, done that. :)

menJesus
Jan 18th 2008, 11:24 PM

Thanks for answering.

"This experience is a one on one, up close and personal encounter between a mortal being and the power and spirit of the Immortal God of Creation.

How would one be able to resist that?"

You have said it so wonderfully well, here. And believe me, for me, resisting was not an option - not even a thought in my mind. Oh, it was such a beautiful thing...

menJesus
Jan 19th 2008, 12:09 AM
The first time I was slain in the Spirit (or "fell out" as some call it) was wonderful.

I had been saved about a year - young in the Lord, searching for Jesus...didn`t even know what all this stuff was about, at the time. I just wanted God in my heart. So me and Nora went to this little church service...

I was at a Wednesday evening prayer meeting. The pastor preached, then gave an alter call, then he picked up his bottle of annointing oil and said "whoever wants to receive from the Lord, come up and be prayed for".

I thought about it, but I thought, nah, thats okay, I`m going to just sit here...

The next thing I knew, I was standing up. I felt nothing "lifting" me out of my seat - I just knew I had to go up there! so I stood up, and walked up there and got in line. I was the 4th-5th person in line.

I stood in front of my pastor, who was on the platform, and I lifted my arms up and began to softly weep. He touched my forehead with that oil, and prayed a short prayer for me, and I took a step backward, and a little to the side, to make room for the next person in line (I thought people were behind me in the prayer line).

And that was it. I felt the ball of my shoe touch the floor when I took that step, but I never felt my heel touch the ground - it was as though I had stepped off the edge of the earth...

Next thing I knew, I woke up, lying flat on my back on the floor. Stunned, shocked, amazed! I know my eyes were big as saucers...

And nobody was even around me! The prayer line was on the other side of the pulpit, the pastor and the congregation...

I got up and I went over to my friend and I said, Nora, what happened to me???

I hadn`t felt anything - no fall, no hitting the floor (and I was no featherweight at the time), no nothing! I remember the heel of my high heel not touching the floor as I stepped back, was all.

Nora`s eyes were just sparkling - she said honey, you just fell out in the Spirit, is all. I said, did anybody catch me when I fell? She said no, no one was back there when you fell out.

I was mortified. I said, how hard did I hit the floor? She said, honey, you went down as easy as a feather falling! I said, well, how long was I out? She said 15-20 minutes.

I didn`t say anything else at the time, because the service was going on.

But I asked her 3-4 times over the next few days about that. And I pondered it much, believe you me!

I was not overly emotional, I did not feel myself faint, or pass out. At that time, I did not even know how to yield myself to the Lord in prayer! I did not feel my knees buckle, I did not feel myself do anything - I was in line, and I was gone, waking up on the floor.

When I woke up, I was absolutely in awe. What I felt inside was unbelievable. I knew that I had literally been out of this world for a short period of time. I felt like I had been with God. I actually felt as though in that time that I had been out, God had picked me up and held me to Him, comforting me...

Now I saw nothing, heard nothing, and felt nothing - no tongues, rolling in the floor, etc. No dream, no vision of Jesus. Nothing.

But I knew that I was forever changed. I knew that I had been in the presence of God Almighty Himself. I trembled for weeks every time I pondered on that thought...

And why me? All I was was a baby christian, in a little church with about 50 people, at a mid-week prayer meeting, trying to find Jesus...

I have been slain in the Spirit 3-4 more times. Always the same experience, although with different pastors praying for me when it happened. But I never felt Him as strongly as I did that first time.

HE IS SIMPLY AWESOME!

AtHisFeet
Jan 19th 2008, 12:16 AM
What was different in your life after that?

ProjectPeter
Jan 19th 2008, 02:47 AM
I am going to say this now and folks can do with this what they will.

I know that this is one of those subjects that folks have a lot of opinion and emotion over. There are those that want to see it in black print and they want to see it laid out CLEAR otherwise... they have much to say.

Here is the rub. If this is by the Spirit of God and you say and or believe that this is something of the devil... then you are taking a mighty big risk. If you are 100 percent certain that this is not of God but the devil then speak your peace and whatever happens happens. But if it is by the Spirit of God and you give it the label of something of the devil... then you've gotten yourself into a stink. So be very careful here on this matter.

I will say this and I have said it many times in my years and many post here. Most of the stuff that folks say is of the Spirit today is nothing more than their flesh. Caught up in the moment... hype... whatever. But if the Spirit of God wants to put someone on the flat of their back and give them a vision or whatever happens... be sure enough slow to label it wrongly. Flesh ain't the devil. So be very careful because this subject always brings about stuff that folks let their mouth (fingers if you will) engage before they allow their brain to work.

AtHisFeet
Jan 19th 2008, 03:52 AM
I
I am going to say this now and folks can do with this what they will.

I know that this is one of those subjects that folks have a lot of opinion and emotion over. There are those that want to see it in black print and they want to see it laid out CLEAR otherwise... they have much to say.

Here is the rub. If this is by the Spirit of God and you say and or believe that this is something of the devil... then you are taking a mighty big risk. If you are 100 percent certain that this is not of God but the devil then speak your peace and whatever happens happens. But if it is by the Spirit of God and you give it the label of something of the devil... then you've gotten yourself into a stink. So be very careful here on this matter.

I will say this and I have said it many times in my years and many post here. Most of the stuff that folks say is of the Spirit today is nothing more than their flesh. Caught up in the moment... hype... whatever. But if the Spirit of God wants to put someone on the flat of their back and give them a vision or whatever happens... be sure enough slow to label it wrongly. Flesh ain't the devil. So be very careful because this subject always brings about stuff that folks let their mouth (fingers if you will) engage before they allow their brain to work.

Surely you aren't implying this somehow jeopardizes our salvation.:confused

Brother Mark
Jan 19th 2008, 04:12 AM
I

Surely you aren't implying this somehow jeopardizes our salvation.:confused

If it is of the Holy Spirit and it is called demonic, then what is that called scripturally?

He's saying be very careful.

servantsheart
Jan 19th 2008, 07:13 AM
Are you are saying that people who don't believe being 'slain in the spirit' or 'slain by the Spirit', is because they do not believe what is in the NT. If so then would you please show us were it is scriptural.
I certainly don't find anywhere that says, people get slain in the spirit, or by the Spirit to be healed or delivered from something.

I can not point to any one scripture that uses the "slain or resting" terms.
And yes, I do think that many don't accept it because everything in the OT was laid out by laws, rituals, etc. But in the NT God is (I believe) trying to show us everything about His 'Spirit'. A person surley has to have faith to believe that God can do anything. That He is trying to show us a very close and special, Spirit filled relationship with Himself.
This is something 'unseen', not described by laws or rituals, or legalism. We are free to believe and accept the full indwelling of our Comforter and a very deep and realtional experience.
I was changed each time I rested in the Spirit. Maybe if we changed the wording "Slain and rested" and simply try to see it as a very strong encounter with the Holy Spirit.
This is my opinion on this subject and on the subject of Paul when he met Jesus. I believe that when he was struck down that he was given this same kind of experience of being filled with the wonders of the Holy Spirit filling every part of his being.
It feels like having your whole body awakened to a deeper spiritual encounter that helps heal you physically, brings you into a deeper and more dedicated walk with Jesus, and even being followed by receiving dreams and visions. It feels like every cell is new and alive in a clearly welcoming over taking of your physical state...being in a state where your mind, heart and your spirit are totally given to the Holy Spirit.

servantsheart
Jan 19th 2008, 07:22 AM
The first time I was slain in the Spirit (or "fell out" as some call it) was wonderful.
it was as though I had stepped off the edge of the earth...

Next thing I knew, I woke up, lying flat on my back on the floor. Stunned, shocked, amazed! I know my eyes were big as saucers...
I hadn`t felt anything - no fall, no hitting the floor

When I woke up, I was absolutely in awe. What I felt inside was unbelievable. I knew that I had literally been out of this world for a short period of time. I felt like I had been with God. I actually felt as though in that time that I had been out, God had picked me up and held me to Him, comforting me...

But I knew that I was forever changed. I knew that I had been in the presence of God Almighty Himself. I trembled for weeks every time I pondered on that thought...

I have been slain in the Spirit 3-4 more times. Always the same experience, although with different pastors praying for me when it happened. But I never felt Him as strongly as I did that first time.

HE IS SIMPLY AWESOME!
You know exactly what I experienced!...you have received this wonder gift of feeling the Comforter fill every part of our being with his presence. Thank you for coming forward to give your witness of this happening to you too.

servantsheart
Jan 19th 2008, 07:37 AM
Being slain in the spirit is just our flesh reacting to His presence. Nothing else. It's not a big deal either way. And Mark is right-speaking in tongues in the church with interpretation following is most Biblical. There are at least 3 uses for tongues in the Word-we don't have any right to change it.

Your flesh desires things of this world...Titus 2..we are to be in this world but not of it.
Having an experience such as 'resting' or being 'slain', or whatever term you choose to call it, is our own spirit desiring a deeper connection with God, his Son Jesus and the Holy Spirit...with the Holy Spirit being God himself and indwelling inside of our hearts. He is our comforter, counselor, spiritural guide (he will teach us all things religious), he helps us learn of the character of God and he knows what we need before we do and tells God of it (not that God does not already know but he wants us to ask him for the things we need and the Spirit speaks of things we ourselves don't realize we need).
In this alone you can see it opens windows for the Spirit to work through in our lives in any way God so desires to present who He is to us.

servantsheart
Jan 19th 2008, 08:57 AM
You mention that Satan can cause inflections on a body and I fully agree. But when you suggest that satan would remove an illness he started in someone, I don't buy that one. I believe that His whole purpose is to kill, steal, and destroy all of us.
Thanks, Servantsheart

menJesus
Jan 19th 2008, 09:54 AM
What was different in your life after that?

Everything. My whole idea of religion changed.

Understand that I was not looking for this, or trying for this experience. At the time, I barely knew what it meant.(baby christian - and I mean preemie! lol) All I knew was that I needed prayer, and the Bible says if two or more agree...and the pastor seemed like a good man, who knew what he was talking about...so I let him annoint me with oil and pray for me.

But after that, I knew - oh, I knew, I knew! that this God I was looking for was real, alive and with us today.

I had gone to a Methodist church, but it seemed like God was only around for 45-50 minutes on Sunday morning. And that congregation seemed content to keep it that way.

But I wanted more - I wanted to find Him. All these people I worked with kept telling me how wonderful He was. So I started going to church, a lot. Looking for Him. Where was He?

But the thing about this is, He came to me. At that time, I didn`t even know that prayer and fellowship can be one-on-one with Him. I knew there was a Holy Spirit, but I had no idea of the extent of His workings. All I knew was that my prayers went to heaven, where Jesus was...

So, He came to me. God Himself let me know, by what He did, that He was real.

This was entirely a supernatural experience. No flesh in it - I didn`t know how to receive from Him...but He knew how to give to me...

And one more thing. I was not hurt, I was not sore. There was never any physical residual from that experience. Like I said, I never felt the heel of my shoe touch the floor. My last rememberance was of putting my foot down (I thought I was) then I was out like a light.

This is almost impossible to understand, unless it has happened to you. But if/when it does, you will know exactly what I am talking about.

menJesus
Jan 19th 2008, 10:33 AM
After reading through the threads, I want to say a few more things...I really want, with all my heart, for people to accept this, even if they don`t understand it.

Its in the Bible, OT and NT. And its so plain, and simple. Today we use different words, different terms and expressions (vernacular?) ...but I do believe that when it is spoken of in that "they could not stand" it means they were slain in the Spirit. It is plain and simple. No interpretation even needed - right there it is...

I am no Einstein when it comes to God and His ways. I would have to say I don`t know much about anything - and the more I study, the more I realize the less I know...

But I do know this - this is an absolute supernatural act of God Almighty.

I don`t know why every believer doesn`t receive it.

I don`t know why the Bible doesn`t say more on it...but then, look at the brief scriptures re: the raising of the dead.

It is not a spiritual gift. Is it a sign? A wonder? A miracle? What is it? God`s mercy? I have no idea...

Like I said, I saw no blinding light/heard no angelic choir singing - nothing (but oh, how I WISH I had!)

But I felt the Lord. He took me to Him, and He comforted me. Thats all I know.

I went to the altar for prayer. And God met me there.

So please, before you deny it outright, pray about it.

I can`t even begin to explain it. I just know it happened...

ProjectPeter
Jan 19th 2008, 03:01 PM
I

Surely you aren't implying this somehow jeopardizes our salvation.:confusedIn the other thread you say you're open and I asked why. You responded that you haven't got everything figured out yet.

Yes, I am suggesting that one need be very careful here because it could well jeopardize someones salvation. That would be a very good, biblically accurate blaspheming of the Spirit. So folks that do this need to ponder what it is that they are doing. Simple fact... if it isn't of the Spirit then it'll be known soon enough. If it is and you call it of the devil.... you are going in a direction you don't want to go.

godsgirl
Jan 19th 2008, 05:18 PM
In the Word-Jesus warned the pharisees that they were near to the unforgivable sin when they said the works of God were works of satan.

menJesus
Jan 19th 2008, 10:28 PM
Thank you, ProjectPeter! This is why I started the other thread. My spirit grieved to see what people on here wrote about this. It is so real...

I suppose one could call it an act of God - for that is just what it is.

AtHisFeet
Jan 20th 2008, 01:49 PM
Yes, I am suggesting that one need be very careful here because it could well jeopardize someones salvation. That would be a very good, biblically accurate blaspheming of the Spirit.

I disagree but won't go off-topic to address it.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions.:)

ProjectPeter
Jan 20th 2008, 02:27 PM
I disagree but won't go off-topic to address it.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions.:)
And this is exactly why I would suggest that you aren't quite as open on this as you say you are in another thread. ;)

AtHisFeet
Jan 21st 2008, 05:33 AM
And this is exactly why I would suggest that you aren't quite as open on this as you say you are in another thread. ;)

I don't understand your comment at all.

I'm just looking for the Truth, that's all. Are you saying I should close my mind on this subject?

I wasn't saying I disagree with this phenomenon, I was saying that I disagree that calling something like this of the devil will necessarily condemn someone.

I understand you're agnostic on this subject. I am too. So where am I in such error?

What am I supposed to do with "I would suggest that you aren't quite as open on this as you say you are in another thread"?:confused:confused

ProjectPeter
Jan 21st 2008, 04:03 PM
Oh I am not agnostic on the subject at all. I've know doubt that it has happened and can happen and does happen. Problem is... it's become something that I figure folks do because they think they are supposed to do it for some reason.

There are many folks, and some in this forum, that believe if someone is "slain in the Spirit" (whatever term someone wants to call it for it is just a term describing an event) then it is a work of Satan and not a work of the Spirit of God. Scripture clearly defines what that is should it in fact be a work of the Spirit. That is a very dangerous place to be if you are on the wrong side of that. That is why I caution folk. If you disagree with that then I recommend you read the passages that speak of blaspheming the Spirit. It is vitally important one understand that passage... and that passage is clearly writting in Scripture.

specks
Jan 21st 2008, 04:43 PM
Problem is... it's become something that I figure folks do because they think they are supposed to do it for some reason.

I once attended a youth group where I was told that if it didn't happen to me, it meant that I had not received God's blessing or had sin in my life preventing God from reaching me. Something like that could make people think they are "supposed to" do it. Sometimes when they were praying for me, they would push on my head as if I didn't get the cue. Afterwards they would talk to me about my rebellion and resisting. This gave me a negative idea of it.

In another church, I saw it happen from time to time, but not so frequently and it was not being forced or suggested to anyone. It seemed real there and people's testimonies were generally that their life was totally different afterwards.

menJesus
Jan 21st 2008, 04:58 PM
Oh I am not agnostic on the subject at all. I've know doubt that it has happened and can happen and does happen. Problem is... it's become something that I figure folks do because they think they are supposed to do it for some reason.

There are many folks, and some in this forum, that believe if someone is "slain in the Spirit" (whatever term someone wants to call it for it is just a term describing an event) then it is a work of Satan and not a work of the Spirit of God. Scripture clearly defines what that is should it in fact be a work of the Spirit. That is a very dangerous place to be if you are on the wrong side of that. That is why I caution folk. If you disagree with that then I recommend you read the passages that speak of blaspheming the Spirit. It is vitally important one understand that passage... and that passage is clearly writting in Scripture.

Thank you again, ProjectPeter, for finding the words that I could not find, to say re: this act.

When I see people reject this outright, I am reminded of the Scriptures that speak of "having a form of Godliness, but denying the power thereof" but yes, blasphemy is a thought, also, even if it is spoken out of ignorance. God forbid!

AtHisFeet
Jan 21st 2008, 07:55 PM

I keenly aware of that scripture.