PDA

View Full Version : The Bible is boring - a normal reaction?

ServantofTruth
Jan 17th 2008, 10:27 AM
Someone posted that the bible is boring and that this is a normal reaction to it. I think it's exciting and alive - what do you guys think?

specks
Jan 17th 2008, 10:34 AM
So far I have found most of what I am reading to be exciting and I feel like I can't get enough of it. There is one chapter that was boring to me because it was entirely a list of names. I know there is purpose in it and it chronicles the history, but it wasn't very exciting reading.

daughter
Jan 17th 2008, 11:45 AM
I love the Bible, it's full of interest and incident, and passion. Even the "boring" bits are interesting when you get deeper into it... like Leviticus. You see Christ foreshadowed throughout in the details of the Tabernacle and sacrifices. If you don't know Christ though it would be a horrible book to read... I still flinch at the thought of all those sacrificed animals. However... When you realise what was going on it comes into focus.

Christ brings the Bible into focus... even in the genealogies.

Here is an interesting nugget for you, about the genealogy of Noah. http://www.harvestreno.org/biblefacts.asp

Click on "the gospel in the names of Genesis," and prepare to be amazed!

Studyin'2Show
Jan 17th 2008, 12:44 PM
Before I met Yeshua, when I just knew about religion, it was the last thing I would pick up to read. :rolleyes: Most people are unfortunately coming at it from that position so I guess it is the most common position. However, once I met Yeshua, it completely changed. I could sit around all day and do nothing but read and talk about scripture and that would be an awesome day! Now, it's like food and I'm starving and just can't get enough! So, I guess the gist is that it depends on whether you have a personal relationship with the author (Holy Spirit) or not! ;)

God Bless!

daughter
Jan 17th 2008, 12:48 PM
That sounds right... I think I'm now officially a bible nerd. My friends and family think I'm a trifle obsessed. Never mind!

Studyin'2Show
Jan 17th 2008, 12:58 PM
Here is an interesting nugget for you, about the genealogy of Noah. http://www.harvestreno.org/biblefacts.asp

Click on "the gospel in the names of Genesis," and prepare to be amazed!I don't have time to watch the link right now but I've seen that the ten names of the men mentioned from Adam to Noah spell out the Gospel. It is so awesome how everything intertwines and comes together like the most amazing tapestry, huh?

ohlurdy
Jan 17th 2008, 02:08 PM
Someone posted that the bible is boring and that this is a normal reaction to it. I think it's exciting and alive - what do you guys think?
Some times the Bible is boring, but that's because almost everything in life is something I get bored with including people.

I have a lot of gadgets-computers, iTouch (iPods), fancy T.V's, remarkable cell phones, and more. I have 5 Bibles surrounding me including the "Olive Wood" Bible I picked up in Israel last year on the Perry Stone Tour. Each of these gadgets, T.V's, people, and the Bible all bore me from time to time, but I'm not sure why.

specks
Jan 17th 2008, 02:21 PM

How cool!! Anything neat like that about Gen 36? I've looked up most of the names in that chapter and very few of them are ever mentioned again, unless maybe my search function is broken. I haven't tried looking up the meanings of each name. After spending some time on searches I added the chapter to my "look at later" list and moved on to the next chapter.

Whispering Grace
Jan 17th 2008, 02:44 PM
I love the Bible. However, I have the hardest time getting through Chronicles for some reason.

Kahtar
Jan 17th 2008, 02:49 PM
The genealogies in Matthew and Luke each tell a story too. But I'll leave it up to you to dig it out.........:lol:

ServantofTruth
Jan 17th 2008, 04:41 PM
I love the Bible, it's full of interest and incident, and passion. Even the "boring" bits are interesting when you get deeper into it... like Leviticus. You see Christ foreshadowed throughout in the details of the Tabernacle and sacrifices. If you don't know Christ though it would be a horrible book to read... I still flinch at the thought of all those sacrificed animals. However... When you realise what was going on it comes into focus.

Christ brings the Bible into focus... even in the genealogies.

A link that my computer can actually handle! That is really cool. The spirit talking all those years ago, at the begining - predicting, well just telling, the future. Thank you. That guys quite cool too - is he well known?

daughter
Jan 17th 2008, 05:25 PM
I don't know, but I've watched all the sermons he has up on that site. They are well worth looking at... he really digs deep into the scripture, and you can tell he loves it. That's what makes his sermons so fascinating... his love of the Bible is infectious. You know a guy is good when an eleven year old sits there watching him, pausing it so he can check things out in his bible!

ProjectPeter
Jan 17th 2008, 05:27 PM
Honestly... it scares me to think that I would ever come to a point in my life where I thought Scripture was boring. I've read it from front to back many, many times over the years and every time... there is something new that jumps out and excites me. Never boring... never.

John146
Jan 17th 2008, 05:47 PM

It's not boring at all. Sure, maybe a good portion of the book of Numbers is not real exciting, for example, but for the most part the Bible is very exciting and when you compare any other book to it, it becomes very clear that it was divinely inspired, which is exciting in and of itself.

th1bill
Jan 17th 2008, 06:43 PM
.. I think that people are spoiled and that it pours over into Christianity. The Bible is the single most exciting book that was ever written. The problem is that, like any good book, one must put their mind into gear and release the clutch to engage the mind to the driving force of the book and that means one cannot vegetate and have someone else to feed their brain.
.. Just some examples; the Bible contains the emergence of several civilizations, the wars and the loves, legitimate and illegitimate. There are adventures of brave men that snigle handed fight off and slay armies with nothing more than a jaw bone. I can go on and on, the material is without end. But in the end of it all, one must be able to think to enjoy it.

Studyin'2Show
Jan 17th 2008, 06:54 PM
Just to be fair, of all of us who love the Bible now, have you always loved it?

Whispering Grace
Jan 17th 2008, 06:56 PM

Before my conversion, I probably couldn't have told you where Genesis is in the Bible.

But after my conversion, I opened up the Bible, and a glorious treasure opened up before me. I couldn't put it down....and several years later, I still can't. It truly is a treasure and a precious gift from God.

punk
Jan 17th 2008, 06:56 PM

The Bible is something of a mirror.

Try this:

1. Ask yourself: "What changes would make the Bible interesting to me?"
2. Ask yourself: "What does that say about me that that would make it interesting?"

Then ponder what that says about you.

Studyin'2Show
Jan 17th 2008, 06:59 PM

Try this:

2. Ask yourself: "What does that say about me that that would make it interesting?"

Then ponder what that says about you.....................:huh:

punk
Jan 17th 2008, 07:07 PM
....................:huh:

Well If a person A thinks the Bible is boring, but thinks the "Lord of the Rings" is hotdog exciting, they might say:

"Gee if the Bible were more like the 'Lord of the Rings' then it'd be interesting".

Then they ask: "What exactly makes the 'Lord of the Rings' so interesting to me?" Maybe the answer is something like "the epic quest to defeat evil", or maybe the answer is just "Hobbits are nifty".

Well if it is the first they might ask: "What is it about epic quests to defeat evil that I find so engaging, that the absence of this in the Bible renders it boring to me?". Maybe if Jesus was taking a ring to the depths of Hell to defeat Satan that would be hotdog exciting".

Then maybe they ask: "Why is action and adventure excitement so important to me? Is this a spiritual point of view? Or is it indicative of an area in which I need to grow? Is religion only valuable if it is exciting, or is there something else that it is really about?"

And so on.

Semi-tortured
Jan 17th 2008, 07:08 PM
The geneologies are boring, everything else isn't.

ProjectPeter
Jan 17th 2008, 07:09 PM
Yeah... mind you there was those times when it was less understandable. But I think yeah... I can say that. Now... I grew up with it. So that might be a difference... don't know.

slightlypuzzled
Jan 17th 2008, 07:16 PM
Then maybe they ask: "Why is action and adventure excitement so important to me? Is this a spiritual point of view? Or is it indicative of an area in which I need to grow? Is religion only valuable if it is exciting, or is there something else that it is really about?"

To me that seems like an excellent idea; but, it would take honest accounting on our part.

The writers of Hebrews had this to say about our reactions to God's salvation:

12For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

13And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do.

How we react, and how the word of God searches us are two key aspects of how we react to God Himself...

daughter
Jan 17th 2008, 07:59 PM
I always liked the psalms, and the gospel of John. Liked the "quest" parts of Genesis, Exodus and the histories. Cried my eyes out when Absalom died and David wept, "oh Absalom, my son, my son." Couldn't understand any of the rest of it, even though I did struggle my way through when I was about twelve.

Song of Solomon totally confused me for years by the way... Nuff said.

Studyin'2Show
Jan 17th 2008, 08:15 PM
Yeah... mind you there was those times when it was less understandable. But I think yeah... I can say that. Now... I grew up with it. So that might be a difference... don't know.That's a real blessing! My 10 year old son would likely say the same thing as he grew up in the word. Before he could read, he knew the word. :D Even now he'll sit with my hubby and read and he always asks the most insightful questions, especially for his age. I guess that was sort of the point of my first post. It really depends on whether you know the author or not. ;) I can't imagine someone who has been born again, having a problem with it. Sometimes you hear people who say that they have been saved, yet they don't read it! :o Now that, I just don't get. :rolleyes:

Gulah Papyrus
Jan 17th 2008, 08:16 PM
I had to 'choose a password' yesterday to set up a gmail account and for the 'forgotten password' part the question was "what is your favorite book?" My answer was The Bible. I admit that sometimes I am not in the mood for The Bible but that's on my end, not The Bibles.

No, not boring.

When I am asked what I am reading I usually name the 2 or 3 books that I am reading(Right now it's Crime and Punishment and Hooked) at the time and add "...and of course, The Bible". Actually I read 2-or three parts of the Bible at a time too...can you say ADD!? Right now I'm in Matthew, Exodus, and Isaiah and then a few times a week I will sit down and bust through an epistle or two or spend some time in Psamls and Proverbs.

I will be 'reading' The Bible until the day God brings me home! I can't get enough. If you would have told me 4 years ago that someday I would have this kind of hunger for the God's Word... : )

Can I get a 'thank you Jesus!'?

ProjectPeter
Jan 17th 2008, 08:20 PM
That's a real blessing! My 10 year old son would likely say the same thing as he grew up in the word. Before he could read, he knew the word. :D Even now he'll sit with my hubby and read and he always asks the most insightful questions, especially for his age. I guess that was sort of the point of my first post. It really depends on whether you know the author or not. ;) I can't imagine someone who has been born again, having a problem with it. Sometimes you hear people who say that they have been saved, yet they don't read it! :o Now that, I just don't get. :rolleyes:
Yeah... I don't get it either.

daughter
Jan 17th 2008, 08:28 PM
I had to 'choose a password' yesterday to set up a gmail account and for the 'forgotten password' part the question was "what is your favorite book?" My answer was The Bible. I admit that sometimes I am not in the mood for The Bible but that's on my end, not The Bibles.

No, not boring.

When I am asked what I am reading I usually name the 2 or 3 books that I am reading(Right now it's Crime and Punishment and Hooked) at the time and add "...and of course, The Bible". Actually I read 2-or three parts of the Bible at a time too...can you say ADD!? Right now I'm in Matthew, Exodus, and Isaiah and then a few times a week I will sit down and bust through an epistle or two or spend some time in Psamls and Proverbs.

I will be 'reading' The Bible until the day God brings me home! I can't get enough. If you would have told me 4 years ago that someday I would have this kind of hunger for the God's Word... : )

Can I get a 'thank you Jesus!'?
Yes indeed, thank you Jesus!!!" You seem to read it like I do too... I'm currently going chronological with my son, listening to a dramatised new testament, and doing that ADD style reading that you describe so well.

Brother Mark
Jan 17th 2008, 09:40 PM

When I was lost, the stories of Daniel, Jonah, the three Hebrew children were exciting. But that's all they were, stories.

When I was saved, the bible became ALIVE to me. It was wisdom and power and LIFE. No longer was it just Daniel in the den of lions, I found myself there and just like Daniel, there was a way of escape. No longer was the story of the three Hebrew children simply about a firey furnace, with a forth walking in it with them. It was Christ himself still in the fire for when I was thrown in!

Being saved makes all the difference in the world. So does having life experience.

th1bill
Jan 17th 2008, 11:30 PM
No, before I was saved I could not make heads or tails out of most of it. I found that having been overcome with the Spirit of God came perfect understanding. Very good point!

AlainaJ
Jan 18th 2008, 12:52 AM
Before I was saved, I didn't understand the Bible. It was like reading Greek or something.

Then after I got saved, the light bulb went off. I could read and study the bible all day...and sometimes I do.

But, that is becuase God has put that desire in my heart...:pp

Alaina

mcgyver
Jan 18th 2008, 05:06 AM

Finally, something that we agree on wholeheartedly!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: :hug:

My heart's Desire
Jan 18th 2008, 05:47 AM
I'll be honest, I loved the way the Bible looked, and felt. I loved looking through it and holding it, but reading through it, yep I used to get bored and yep I get tired reading the genealogies and measurements I'd totally skip and sometimes still do, (building the ark, building the tabernacle, building the Temple etc) mostly cause I don't understand the measurements. :)
But I really cannot live without any of it anymore! I've read through many, many times and each new time is like a breath of air and it calls me to it constantly!
I still get a little numb with the numbers, geneologies and measurements, but I can't live without those either!
LOVE, love the Word! Love it!
And don't get me wrong, I'm not able to read it every day, because I don't just read, I dig into it, but it is just like knowing Jesus' return is near. It's like a longing in my gut that just will not go away! When I'm not reading it, I'm wanting to do so and things that prevent me from doing so is like a splinter in my finger.

ServantofTruth
Jan 18th 2008, 12:48 PM
Finally, something that we agree on wholeheartedly!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: :hug:

Thank you for all your replies and especially this one. It's a lovely feeling being in a family here, and occassionally we have disagreements - but i love you all and have felt love even in 'arguements.' Sending my love to each and everyone here today....oh and have you done your bible reading yet...lols

Sherrie
Jan 18th 2008, 01:06 PM
I have at many different times in my life time, related something that has happened in my life, with something that has happened in scripture. I find myself saying Oh, thats what that meant.

Putting on the new robe.
Why didn't they just tear down all of the idols?
He went all the way to Tyre. The farthest part where they went in those times, thinking God could not see him.
Wandering in the wilderness, and trusting God.
Jealousy, Lust, Selfishness, Greed, Forgiveness, Trust, Love, Honor
Praise, Worship, Acts of Selfless Kindness, Destruction, Rebuilding
Action, Adventure, Comedy, Drama, Love
Humbleness, Meekness, Strength and Weakness

And much more...coming to you in a Bible near you!

Its all in the Bible.

If you are bored, try reading and studying the Bible a little different. Trying studying the culture, and Lifestyle period, of the paticular scripture you are reading.

Frances
Jan 18th 2008, 05:54 PM
Someone posted that the bible is boring and that this is a normal reaction to it.

I suggest :- A completely normal reaction from anyone who is not a Christian - in other words has not repented, accepted Jesus' Sacrifice on their behalf and constantly submits their life to Him.

menJesus
Jan 18th 2008, 10:52 PM
To me, the Bible is alive. It is the story of God, and His struggles with the people He loved. I used to think of it as just the Bible, but now to me it is the autobiography of God.

I read it and I laugh and cry...God is SO wonderful - and how He has struggled down through the centuries with His beloved creation, man...

It is full of fascinating details. And by now, I am amazed at the way it is put together. I do not think there is one unnecessary word in the entire Book! Amazing...

Gulah Papyrus
Jan 18th 2008, 11:03 PM
I'll be honest, I loved the way the Bible looked, and felt. I loved looking through it and holding it

This is exactly how my 10 year old daughter, she loves the thin paper etc. and she loves flipping through it, but she doesn't read it.

Needless to say it's a special book.

daughter
Jan 18th 2008, 11:26 PM
My son occasionally falls asleep with it on his bed, and wakes up going "eek!" because it's fallen down the side, or got a bit squished. So far, since he was saved last November, he's destroyed one bible - he carried it everywhere, and it is now ragged, covered in chocolate squidge and whatever else young boys keep in their pockets.

He still hasn't read the whole book - and he does struggle with the genealogies. But he knows the genealogy of Noah off by heart, and will recite it to anyone interested, along with the translation of Hebrew names, so that the listener will have to concede the Bible is a pretty amazing book.

His least favourite bit so far was the birds being sacrificed - I think in Numbers... he suddenly burst out crying about them having their heads wrung off. But for the most part he's getting all sorts of information out of it, and making connections I could never have made at his age.

th1bill
Jan 19th 2008, 12:10 AM
.. I was considering this string today and it occurred to me that far to many folks are introduced to the scriptures with the King James Version of 1611. Language, being what it is, that is perhaps the most difficult of the Englih translations. I have 3 or 4 KJVs as well as a number of other English and one Spanish version. I had, sitting on my book shelf, the Living Bible and this year will be my first year to read it through.
.. As God's ambassadors I believe that one of the best things we can do is to steer the new seeker to a more user friendly version of the scriptures. When I taught, I taught from one of my KJV Bibles and likely still would. Ah but, this Living Translation is a paraphrase but it is so very easy to understand. I have even found the genealogies to be more palatable when read in a more modern formatting and syntax. I believe it will be found much more interesting to the average reader if we can steer them to one of the later translations first. They, generally, say the same thing and really is the syntax that makes studying so difficult, resulting in boredom.

daughter
Jan 19th 2008, 12:18 AM
The Holman translation is a very good literal translation in modern English. What do you think of the NKJV, Bill? I've given out a lot of Good News Gospels, and I remember the New Living Translation, which I think you recommended, going down well at a hospital in Telford.

Sherrie
Jan 19th 2008, 12:34 AM
I am not Bill, yet I personally like NKJV, and also use the Hebrew-Greek Bible along with it. Everyone has their own bible they like best, and feel comfortable reading and learning from the one they are comfortable with. And not everytime you read a paticular scripture, do you always get the same meaning out of it.

daughter
Jan 19th 2008, 12:39 AM
I like KJV, Holman, and use a Greek New Testament. I'm learning Hebrew, and am trying to get confident reading it, as I am, more or less with the Greek. My son likes KJV as well, largely because the first thing he read was the psalms, and he fell in love with them.

ohlurdy
Jan 19th 2008, 01:26 AM

Try this:

Then ponder what that says about you.

1. I had always thought that if I went to Israel and saw it unfold that the Bible would be more interesting. Well I've stood on Miggedo, overlooked Armegeddon, walked inside Jesus' tomb, been baptized in the River Jordan, stood on the Mt. of Olives, admired the size of skull hill, played with the water in Herod's Spring, was amazed by the size of the olive tress in the Garden of Gethsemane, etc... and from time to time the Bible still bores me.

2. What that says about me as far as it being interesting is that if the whole truth within the Bible was not purposely hidden, forbidden, and rejected the Bible would be overwhelmingly interesting. It says that the lies people withhold concerning the Bible are what makes it boring.

daughter
Jan 19th 2008, 01:44 AM
The bits I find difficult (not boring, but intellectually confusing) are the numbers and dates in prophecy. I have dyscalculia and can't count!

th1bill
Jan 19th 2008, 01:49 AM
The Holman translation is a very good literal translation in modern English. What do you think of the NKJV, Bill? I've given out a lot of Good News Gospels, and I remember the New Living Translation, which I think you recommended, going down well at a hospital in Telford.
I have just looked at the Holman on the run but it looks solid and Deeter has purchased one for her new study bible. She says it is solid. I have been known to purchase the NKJV in The Explorer format for children and I will not ill equip a child so I think it's very solid also.

Studyin'2Show
Jan 19th 2008, 01:49 AM
1. I had always thought that if I went to Israel and saw it unfold that the Bible would be more interesting. Well I've stood on Miggedo, overlooked Armegeddon, walked inside Jesus' tomb, been baptized in the River Jordan, stood on the Mt. of Olives, admired the size of skull hill, played with the water in Herod's Spring, was amazed by the size of the olive tress in the Garden of Gethsemane, etc... and from time to time the Bible still bores me.

2. What that says about me as far as it being interesting is that if the whole truth within the Bible was not purposely hidden, forbidden, and rejected the Bible would be overwhelmingly interesting. It says that the lies people withhold concerning the Bible are what makes it boring.:huh:..........................

th1bill
Jan 19th 2008, 01:54 AM
The bits I find difficult (not boring, but intellectually confusing) are the numbers and dates in prophecy. I have dyscalculia and can't count!
Deeter, bless her heart has the same problems. She is a very craft oriented person because of it. I've noted, during my life, that a great number of very talented folks are dyslectic. That seems, from a man that does not know what he's talking about, to be the single most prevalent factor that drives folks toward the visual arts.

th1bill
Jan 19th 2008, 01:57 AM
I am not Bill, yet I personally like NKJV, and also use the Hebrew-Greek Bible along with it. Everyone has their own bible they like best, and feel comfortable reading and learning from the one they are comfortable with. And not everytime you read a paticular scripture, do you always get the same meaning out of it.
Your opinion is just as worthy as mine is. It might even be better informed.

daughter
Jan 19th 2008, 02:09 AM
Fortunately (as you can tell) I'm not full blown dyslexic... my mother insisted on teaching me to read when I was a toddler, and I think this is why I can read at all. But I do find symbols that I didn't learn as an infant rather difficult, particularly numbers. For example, I tried to phone my bank two days ago, and got through to my ex mother in law instead. She must have thought I was bonkers... :crazy: Fortunately we've forgiven each other for our many differences, but let's face it, that is not a problem people without number problems would get into!

Sťamus on the other hand loves the "number" bits. But then he's much cleverer than I am.

Oh, Bill... I haven't been able to teach him any Greek, but he's picking up Hebrew. He always listens to me when I'm studying a language, and he has picked up many of the prayers and poems quicker than I have.

BadDog
Jan 19th 2008, 10:51 PM
Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is full of living power. It is sharper than the sharpest knife, cutting deep into our innermost thoughts and desires. It exposes us for what we really are.

I suggest that those who are not experiencing this try another translation (you can still use the one you have)... one that motivates and excites you.

BD