PDA

View Full Version : Noah's Ark possible?

oxygen
Jan 17th 2008, 10:02 PM
Genesis 6-9 reads that God wanted to destroy the world because of mankinds wickedness and asked Noah to build a ship to take on board his family and all the animals he thought ought to survive.

I have some questions:

Considering the tens of millions of animal species on earth today, how did Noah manage to catch and contain them all for 40 days into one boat?
And how will so few of one specie:monkeyd: be able to survive?

Im sorry but this story is just way to impossible to be taken serious.

Brother Mark
Jan 17th 2008, 10:12 PM
Moved to Christian Answers.

doulas
Jan 17th 2008, 10:36 PM
To answer I will quote Dr John D Morris PHD:

Detractors from the Bible story of the Flood have scoffed at the idea of just a few people carrying out all the duties of animal care for a year. Without a doubt, it would have been a daunting task considering the number of animals and the frightening circumstances, but would it have been impossible?
Earlier studies have shown that the total number of animals in question are less than the millions the detractors envision. Noah was told to take two of each "kind" of animal on board, probably represented by today's "families" or "genera" rather than species. For instance, the dog "kind" includes many speciesówolf, domestic dog, dingo, coyote, etc. Furthermore, most animal types are small, only a few dozen are large, making the average size something on the order of a cat. (John Woodmorappe's excellent book, Noah's Ark: A Feasibility Study, looks into this issue in depth.) The great majority of today's animals live in the sea and did not need to be on board.
But how about those inside? Cooped up for months, pitching and rolling with the Ark, surrounded by the noise of the storm and the presence of other animals (Genesis 7:21-22 (http://www.icr.org/bible/Genesis/7/21-22)). How would they cope? And what about the meat-eaters?
It's well known that all animals can survive on a meatless diet. Care must be taken to satisfy their nutritional needs, but it is possible. Some carnivores even choose a vegetarian lifestyle. Other animal studies have noted that some animals, such as the bear, hibernate to survive times of undue stress. Many other animals (and perhaps nearly all) are able to enter into a
period of relative dormancy or estivation when faced with a danger they cannot overcome and from which they cannot flee. In such a state they require minimal food and exercise, and excrete little. In such a state, aggressive tendencies are ignored. The presence of a common, overwhelming predicament eliminates former predator/prey relationships.
Scripture actually hints at such a situation. Noah was told to build an Ark equipped with "rooms" for the animals. (Genesis 6:14 (http://www.icr.org/bible/Genesis/6/14)). But the Hebrew word used is everywhere else rendered "nests," as in (Deuteronomy 32:11 (http://www.icr.org/bible/Deuteronomy/32/11)) where it applies to birds, but it's also applied to a place of rest and safety for humans too (Job 29:18 (http://www.icr.org/bible/Job/29/18)). Is this an indication that the animals were to merely snuggle up and wait until the danger was over?
There is no way of knowing, of course, because this was a unique event, not repeatable nor testable in the present and the only One who knows didn't give us all the details. But wouldn't it be just like Noah's gracious God to make the job easier for him?

One final thought. The origin of this mysterious hibernation ability has no ready explanation in science. Might we not suppose that the loving Creator endowed animals onboard the Ark with this survival mechanism? There was probably no need for such an ability before the Flood. All animals today are descended from those on the Ark and all have inherited it. Since science has no better explanation for its origin, this supposition, which fits all the facts, should be given due consideration.

Tanya~
Jan 18th 2008, 02:45 AM
This article from AnswersinGenesis.org speaks to that question, and the site has many other answers to similar questions. I hope you will consider them with and open mind.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/answersbook/arksize13.asp

TEITZY
Jan 18th 2008, 04:01 AM
Genesis 6-9 reads that God wanted to destroy the world because of mankinds wickedness and asked Noah to build a ship to take on board his family and all the animals he thought ought to survive.

I have some questions:

Considering the tens of millions of animal species on earth today, how did Noah manage to catch and contain them all for 40 days into one boat?

Here's (http://www.creationontheweb.com/content/view/3027/) some more articles on Noah's ark if you're interested. To briefly address some of the point you raised:

- Noah didn't need to take "tens of millions" of species since there were no fish or insects on board for a start. Also due to speciation over the last 4000 years we have many more 'species' today which originally came from more genetically diverse ancestors on the ark.

- God brought the animals to Noah so he didn't have to "catch" them.

- A healthy breeding pair can soon reproduce and multiply particularly when predation is minimal (most apex predators are going to reproduce at much lower rates than their smaller prey).

Cheers
Leigh

ServantofTruth
Jan 18th 2008, 04:04 PM
Perhaps the few of each species to the variety today can be explained by Adam/ one man becoming how many on this planet at the moment - actually i don't know - 60 million in my country the United Kingdom, to begin with!
One man became a pair, man and woman. Then all the generations to the flood. Then just Noah his wife, his sons and their wives. How on earth do we all decend from Noah's family, its impossible!
Actually no scientists in the last couple of years took dna from every continent on earth, every race. After investigation, they came up with the fact that everyone is descended from 3 people! Amazing!
Of course us Christians can tell them its 1 person and with a slight smile, i look forward to the scientific advances to come when they surprise the 'world' that all dna comes from one source. They'll feel so clever, knowing what God told us in the bible hundreds of years ago.
Like when they discovered the world was round and not flat. The book of Job told us this, long before explorers rushed back from the edge of the world to excitedly report it.
So a pair of any animal could logically become as diverse as humans have since the flood, in some cases perhaps less so, in other cases much more?
There is ETERNAL WISDOM of GOD, or mans latest exciting scientific discovery. Don't you feel sorry for all those people who rejected the bible down the centuries, especially scientists (many who still reject it) on scientific grounds. Oh yes lastly - there is plenty enough water to cover the earth, even mount Everest and then i think about 10-20 metres higher! God wrote the rules of science at creation - in his earthly life as Jesus Christ, he broke those rules as easily as he invented them. He rewrote them for himself.
If you wish to share your reading with me, please do. The bible is not boring, as we are discussing in Bible chat on my topic. I'm about to start a topic, in bible chat also, to look especially at those 'thought of as' boring bits of the bible. See you there?

OldChurchGuy
Jan 19th 2008, 04:48 AM

I have some questions:

There is a belief that the story of Noah and the flood was not intended to be interpreted literally. There is evidence to suggest that there are older writings compared to the earliest known writing of Genesis. One that comes to mind is the "Epic of Gilgamesh".

Since practically every civilzation was located near a river, it stands to reason practically every civilization would have a flood story in their past. Not until the 20th century did we get to see satellite photos of weather systems so we can understand how a low pressure system in one part of the country can impact weather in another part.

There is no way to prove this interpretation is correct or incorrect. Just wanted you to be aware of another view.

OldChurchGuy

mccain22
Jan 23rd 2008, 04:07 AM
consider that many of the species are fish, and insects which were not on board the ark. others have "evolved" over time. now i dont mean an organism becoming a different organism(genus) over time. but micro evolution. a dog producing another kind of dog. thats simple enough.

cnw
Jan 25th 2008, 04:02 AM
I have to agree with you Oxygen...It sounds pretty far fetched...but so does one man dying for every single person on the face of the earth to save them from sin. God doesn't make sense to me, but the more I read the Bible the more I am understanding.
There is some interesting facts regarding the flood and the world today. It was just in the last couple months that a scientist in China found several species of life together under layers of earth that could have only gotten there if there was a mass flood, and sea life is found on tops of mountains....that is kinda odd. There is also the actual ark found in Turkey where the Bible said it landed (so to speak). I would assume many of the animals were in hibernation and my own thought is that many of our insects came from plagues after the flood anyway (example would be flys in Egypt if you ever heard the story of Moses).
just some thots.