PDA

View Full Version : Exercise and Diet -- Jer

Ayala
Jan 21st 2008, 02:20 PM
Well my body fat percentage has gone up since I last checked it, and while it's still plenty healthy, I decided now would be a good time to re-evaluate my diet and start concentrating on heavier lifting and more consistant cardio. I've been eating like crap recently and that's gotta change.

Quick stats:

Height: 5'9"
Weight: 140 lbs
BFP: 7-8%

Obviously I'm not trying to lose anything...I've always been pretty lean. My goals here are geared towards putting on a good 25-30 pounds of lean mass and maybe cutting my fat percantage back down to 6%. Basically I'm going with a 5 meal spread per-day...High protein and moderate-to-low carbs.

A general layout of the food and a rough estimation of caloric intake:

(7:00 am)
Meal 1: Oatmeal, 2-3 Eggs, Scoop of Almonds, Low-Glycemic Fruit (600 Calories)

(10:00 am)
Meal 2: Whey Protein Shake with Whole Milk (260 Calories)

(12:00 pm)
Meal 3: Tuna/Lean meat, Peanut butter sandwich, Piece of fruit (650 Calories)

(3:00 pm)
Meal 4: Whey Protein Shake with Whole Milk (260 Calories)

(6:00 pm)
Meal 5: Open to whatever I have for dinner (600? Calories)

My lifting plan stays the same...With each exercise, the goal will be to increase weight at the end of each week.

Monday: Chest and Triceps
Flat Bench
Incline Bench
Decline Bench
Pectoral Flies
Tricep Extentions
Tricep Pushdowns
Wide-Angle Pushdowns
Dips

Tuesday: Back and Biceps
Seated Mid-Rows
Bent-Over Rows
Lat Pulls
Frontal Lat Raises
Deadlifts
Bicep Curls
Reverse Curls
Preacher Curls

Wednesday: Shoulders
Shoulder Press
Military Press
Upright Rows
Deltoid Raises
Bent-Over Deltoid Raises

Thursday: Legs
Calf Raisers
Leg Extentions
Inner Quad Kicks
Outer Quad Kicks
Glute Kicks
Leg Curls

Friday: Chest
Flat Bench
Incline Bench
Decline Bench
Pectoral Flies
Dips

Monday-Friday: Abdominals
Ab Crunches
Side Bends

As far as cardio, I'll be focusing on increased running (with the goal of being able to run 5 miles nonstop by the end of 6 months), more endurance exercises, and maintaining my TaeKwonDo training.

Implementation starts today. :D

JIML
Jan 22nd 2008, 03:04 AM
Welcome to the club son!!! ;)

Ayala
Jan 22nd 2008, 03:26 AM
Had a good day today...Ima be nice 'n sore tomorrow. :D

Otter77
Jan 23rd 2008, 04:47 PM
Keep on it Jer! Even when you feel like you don't want to do it... do it anyway.... consistency will win every time!

You can definitely achieve that goal you set... I think that's a perfect goal for you man.

Ayala
Jan 23rd 2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks bro. I'm real determined to keep this goin. I'm really enjoying the way I'm eating too...I've got alot more energy. Crappy processed food can really mess you up.

It's shoulders day today. Fun stuff. :D

Toolman
Jan 23rd 2008, 09:50 PM
Hey Jer,

Looking good. Looks like an intense volume program.

What do you think about posting up what you do each workout? i.e. number of sets and reps, how much weight, etc.

Helps to keep a running journal so you can progressively load the iron.

Ayala
Jan 23rd 2008, 10:12 PM
Sounds good. I'll post up my first journal after today's lifting.

Ayala
Jan 23rd 2008, 11:52 PM
My lifting exercises are done with both the free-weights I have and my home gym. Press exercises (shoulder press and bench press) are done with the free-range articulating arms on the machine, which are designed to simulate free-weight feel and motion. Pounds of free weight per hand are calculated with the weight ratio chart I have. All other exercises are straight forward.

On to today's shoulder workout...

Shoulder Press
3 Sets of 12-10 Reps - 23, 23, and 28 Pounds Free Weight per Hand

Military Press
3 Sets of 10 Reps - 20 Pound Dumbells

Upright Rows
3 Sets of 12-10 Reps - 41, 46, and 51 Pounds

Deltoid Raises
3 Sets of 10 Reps - 10 Pound Dumbells

Bent-Over Deltoid Raises

Other Exercise:
5 miles on the Elliptical and 200 crunches

Toolman
Jan 24th 2008, 06:05 PM
Jer,

Looks like a good workout.

If I may suggest something. Since your goal is to put on 25-30 lbs. of lean mass you might want to cut the cardio down. 5 miles on eliptical I would think would hinder your goal.

If you notice that you are not gaining that may be the first place to look.

Other than that program looks good. Just keep progressively adding weight each week or so.

My 2c.

Ayala
Jan 24th 2008, 06:16 PM
Then I may have to increase my caloric intake. Cardio and aerobic endurance are important aspects for me. If I'm sparring or doing anything like that, I want to be able to go the full distance without getting winded.

Toolman
Jan 24th 2008, 06:21 PM
Then I may have to increase my caloric intake. Cardio and aerobic endurance are important aspects for me. If I'm sparring or doing anything like that, I want to be able to go the full distance without getting winded.

Gotcha.. I can fully understand that when you spar you need cardio endurance (I have a 1st degree black in TKD and about a year of Krav Maga).

Increasing calories will definitely help also :)

You can adjust calories and cardio and determine priorities as your program progresses, of course... plenty of time to evaluate.

Ayala
Jan 24th 2008, 06:51 PM
Hahah, I love my TKD...It's interesting that you mention Krav Maga, cuz I was considering it awhile back. From what I understand, it's a solid and practical martial-art. How do you like it?

And yeah, I'm keeping track of things, day by day. Gotta go grocery shoppin to get some stuff cuz my pantry is lookin bare.

Toolman
Jan 24th 2008, 07:10 PM
Hahah, I love my TKD...It's interesting that you mention Krav Maga, cuz I was considering it awhile back. From what I understand, it's a solid and practical martial-art. How do you like it?

TKD and Krav are very different. TKD is much more sport driven (forms, point sparring, etc.) whereas Krav Maga is the Israeli military real life, on the street self defense for hand combat.

There is no sport aspect to Krav at all. There are no forms or tournaments whatsoever and the training is geared completely towards endurance and strength training (lots of bag, pad and mitt work) and the moves are basic moves (not real flashy) that work in situations where life is threatened. Lots of elbow and knee strikes, groin kicks, disarming weaponed opponents (knife and gun).

I love Krav but its difficult to find a good class because the training is so much more intense than the typical sport styles.

TKD is a good foundation for balance and confidence but, IMO, krav is a step above (as would be western and muay thai full contact boxing, full contact karate, olympic wrestling and braz. jui jitsu) to the next level of training. I believe a well rounded exposure is more beneficial than a narrow focus (as MMA has for the most part proved).

And yeah, I'm keeping track of things, day by day. Gotta go grocery shoppin to get some stuff cuz my pantry is lookin bare.

Excellent... load up that plate! :lol:

Ayala
Jan 24th 2008, 07:45 PM
TKD and Krav are very different. TKD is much more sport driven (forms, point sparring, etc.) whereas Krav Maga is the Israeli military real life, on the street self defense for hand combat.

There is no sport aspect to Krav at all. There are no forms or tournaments whatsoever and the training is geared completely towards endurance and strength training (lots of bag, pad and mitt work) and the moves are basic moves (not real flashy) that work in situations where life is threatened. Lots of elbow and knee strikes, groin kicks, disarming weaponed opponents (knife and gun).

I love Krav but its difficult to find a good class because the training is so much more intense than the typical sport styles.

TKD is a good foundation for balance and confidence but, IMO, krav is a step above (as would be western and muay thai full contact boxing, full contact karate, olympic wrestling and braz. jui jitsu) to the next level of training. I believe a well rounded exposure is more beneficial than a narrow focus (as MMA has for the most part proved).

Indeed. The forms and tournaments were never of any real interest to me...even more so for my dad. I got into TKD as a kid, lookin up to my dad...we rarely missed a class. A couple years later, my parent's marriage went through a rocky period and all the time that my dad spent on TKD got to be a real strain for them, so we stopped practicing. Years later, when their marriage was no longer in any trouble, we started working out on our own...practicing sheer fundamentals and all aspects that could be applied to true fighting...also studying various methods from different styles. My interest in fundamentals led me across Krav Maga and it's somethin I've considered for awhile. Now, my dad's original instructor (who's the most intense instructor I've ever worked with) lets us work out at his school for free...from what I understand, he's also got a program that focuses on ground fighting and grappling and I'm real interested in that. We've gone to his school a couple times now, and I'm thinkin we're probably gonna be goin there steadily in the future.

Excellent... load up that plate! :lol:

Oh I will. :P

Ayala
Jan 25th 2008, 02:36 AM
Legs today...

Calf Raisers
3 Sets of 50 Reps - 70 Pounds

Leg Extentions
3 Sets of 20-16 Reps - 47, 54, and 62 Pounds

Inner Quad Kicks
3 Sets of 16-14 Reps - 16, 21, and 21 Pounds Per Side

Outer Quad Kicks
3 Sets of 12 Reps - 21 Pounds Per Side

Glute Kicks
3 Sets of 12 Reps - 26 Pounds Per Side

Leg Curls
3 Sets of 12-10 Reps - 32, 32, and 39 Pounds Per Side

Other Exercises:
2.5 miles on the elliptical and 200 crunches

Otter77
Jan 25th 2008, 02:30 PM
w00t for BJJ

;)

I saw an angry-looking young man at the mall last night with a jacket emblazoned in large print "tapout". I thought... man.... that reminds me of someone I used to know (me).

JIML
Jan 26th 2008, 02:14 AM
w00t for BJJ

;)

I saw an angry-looking young man at the mall last night with a jacket emblazoned in large print "tapout". I thought... man.... that reminds me of someone I used to know (me).

What does BJJ stand for, Beatin-up Justin Jimberlake?

Otter77
Jan 26th 2008, 03:11 AM
What does BJJ stand for, Beatin-up Justin Jimberlake?

heh... Toolman mentioned Brazilian Jui Jitsu. Primary art of the famous Royce Gracie... figure-head of the early UFC.

also something I studied for a while. ;)

Ayala
Jan 27th 2008, 01:39 AM
Spent the day with a friend yesterday so I didn't have time to workout. Made up for it today.

Flat Bench
3 Sets of 12-10 Reps - 23, 28, and 28 Pounds of Free Weight Per Hand

Incline Bench
3 Sets of 12-10 Reps - 17, 23, and 23 Pounds of Free Weight Per Hand

Decline Bench
3 Sets of 12-10 Reps 23, 28, and 28 Pounds of Free Weight Per Hand

Pectoral Flies

Other Exercises:
4.9 miles on the elliptical and 200 crunches

Ayala
Jan 29th 2008, 01:51 AM
Chest and triceps today...

Flat Bench
3 Sets of 12-8 Reps - 23, 28, and 34 Pounds of Free Weight Per Hand

Incline Bench
3 Sets of 12-8 Reps - 17, 23, and 28 Pounds of Free Weight Per Hand

Decline Bench
3 Sets of 12-8 Reps - 23, 28, and 34 Pounds of Free Weight Per Hand

Pectoral Flies

Tricep Extentions
3 Sets of 14-12 Reps - 21, 23, and 23 Pounds

Tricep Pushdowns
3 Sets of 10 Reps - 26 Pounds

Wide-Angle Pushdowns
3 Sets of 10 Reps - 24 Pounds

Other exercises:
4.8 miles on the elliptical and 200 crunches

Ayala
Jan 30th 2008, 12:32 AM
Back and biceps... :D

Seated Mid-Rows
3 Sets of 12-10 Reps - 52, 62, and 72 Pounds

Bent-Over Rows
3 Sets of 12-10 Reps - 41, 46, and 51 Pounds

Lat Pulls
3 Sets of 12-10 Reps - 42, 52, and 62 Pounds

Frontal Lat Raises
3 Sets of 12 Reps - 10 Pound Dumbells

Bicep Curls
3 Sets of 12-10 Reps - 31, 36, and 41 Pounds

Reverse Curls
3 Sets of 12-10 Reps - 26, 31, and 31 Pounds

Preacher Curls
3 Sets of 10 Reps - 36 Pounds

Ayala
Mar 5th 2008, 12:00 AM
Oh man, I haven't been good about lifting since I got sick but I'm gonna start workin hard at it again. I'll hopefully have more entries to put in very soon.

JIML
Mar 6th 2008, 05:48 AM
Oh man, I haven't been good about lifting since I got sick but I'm gonna start workin hard at it again. I'll hopefully have more entries to put in very soon.

Yeah man, being sick is the worst, after that you have no motivation, no energy, no nothing.

Ayala
Apr 26th 2008, 11:51 PM
Man, it hurts to even look at this topic. XD I've only been workin out on and off and I've actually lost weight. Work's been kickin my butt big-time. I've made a promise to myself that I'm gonna stay true to my program and follow through with my daily workouts, no matter how tired I am after work. Time to truly test my motivation. :P

Ayala
Apr 29th 2008, 10:35 PM
Startin to get back on track. I'm eating ideally and workouts have begun again. For now, however, I'm focusing on endurance training as opposed to strict lifting.