PDA

View Full Version : If you were drowning in a river...

jffl25
Jan 21st 2008, 11:29 PM
A small riddle to ponder ;):

If you were drowning in a river and looked up to see Jesus on the shore. Would He:

(a) ...jump right in the river and drag you out?

(b) ...throw you a life preserver and tell you to hang on tight while He pulled you out?

(c) ...tell you the way to safety and leave it up to you to swim out?

I'd love to hear your answers (as well as your reasons, of course).

Clifton
Jan 21st 2008, 11:41 PM

If you were drowning in a river and looked up to see Jesus on the shore. Would He:

(b) ...throw you a life preserver and tell you to hang on tight while He pulled you out?

(a) or (b), but of course, I guess you are gonna say it should be (c).;)

Reason: I cannot swim.

Slug1
Jan 21st 2008, 11:53 PM
Where's the D option: First have belief in Jesus so He CAN help you! ;)

Well, since the question is direct toward me I feel A is the answer. He already died for me so risking all is the example to live by.

Pleroo
Jan 21st 2008, 11:56 PM

Of course, if you're equating this to salvation from sin, I'd have to say a better way to ask it would be ...

If you had already drowned, would Jesus

(a) ... jump right in, drag out your lifeless body and breathe life into you?
(b) ... thrown your dead body a life preserver, etc. ?
(c) ... tell your dead body the way, etc. ?

[Eph 2:4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5 even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), ]

Slug1
Jan 21st 2008, 11:58 PM
Of course, if you're equating this to salvation from sin, I'd have to say a better way to ask it would be ...

If you had already drowned, would Jesus

(a) ... jump right in, drag out your lifeless body and breathe life into you?
(b) ... thrown your dead body a life preserver, etc. ?
(c) ... tell your dead body the way, etc. ?

[Eph 2:4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5 even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), ]I though I over evaluated the question :lol:

karenoka27
Jan 22nd 2008, 12:01 AM
d) Matthew 14:29"And He said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus."
or
e) you would know you are safe:
Isaiah 43:2-"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee:..."

(sorry but it is Bible Chat..so I had to use the Bible...:))

Pleroo
Jan 22nd 2008, 12:01 AM
I though I over evaluated the question :lol:

That's my specialty. :D

RoadWarrior
Jan 22nd 2008, 12:38 AM

None of the above. All He has to do is speak it, and it is done. Why would He resort to human effort? Why would He tell you to resort to your own human effort?

It would be something like this, except without the boat, and would include the drowning person asking for help:

Jn 6:21 21 Then they willingly received Him into the boat, and immediately the boat was at the land where they were going. NKJV

jeffreys
Jan 22nd 2008, 02:59 AM

(d) ...tell you to stand up and walk out, because it's the Platte River in Nebraska, and it's only 8" deep.

I'm going to have to go with (d) - the Platte River one. :D

Ayala
Jan 22nd 2008, 03:35 AM
Hey, I drove by that river before. :P

jeffreys
Jan 22nd 2008, 04:06 AM
Hey, I drove by that river before. :P

Exciting, wasn't it? :o

Ayala
Jan 22nd 2008, 04:37 AM
Oh yes...most definitely. I think I was noticing the temperature more than anything else at the time though. :D

bjones
Jan 23rd 2008, 01:31 AM
Well if it were a real river, he might just smile and say, "Your place is ready, meet you there in a sec...."

jffl25
Jan 23rd 2008, 03:21 AM
Well, I didn't figure this post would go in this direction!! :saint:

Funny though...

Athanasius
Jan 23rd 2008, 03:34 AM

Man, Jesus carries around a life preserver?! That's awesome.

SIG
Jan 23rd 2008, 04:05 AM
"In a sense, other religious systems are sets of swimming instructions for a drowning man. Christianity is a life-preserver."
--Paul E. Little
Know WHY You Believe

FaithfulSheep
Jan 23rd 2008, 04:11 AM

1 John 3:23 This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us. (Our life preserver if we so choose to take it)
24The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us. (Him pulling us out)

Our life preserver is believing in Him. If we do that, He can pull us out of anything the world dishes out at us because He abides in us. ;)

CoffeeBeaned
Jan 23rd 2008, 06:32 PM

Jesus IS a life-preserver!:pp

Semi-tortured
Jan 23rd 2008, 06:38 PM
Well, I didn't figure this post would go in this direction!! :saint:

Funny though...

I would actually have been surprised if it hadn't gone in this direction. After a mere few months on this board, I have come to realize that multiple choice questions are far too straight forward. Only essay questions work here. :lol:

Semi-tortured
Jan 23rd 2008, 06:39 PM

Dang. The Baywatch theme song just popped into my head.

Joe King
Jan 23rd 2008, 07:27 PM
Dang. The Baywatch theme song just popped into my head.
and hopefully not the Baywatch images:lol: