PDA

View Full Version : Everyday Readers Version...Anyone?

IBWatching
Jan 30th 2008, 04:26 PM
Anyone here used or familiar with the Everyday Readers Version of the Bible? My understanding is that it is published by the same people who published the New Century Version (NCV) and is written at a third grade level.

Picked one up at a local bookstore and was DEEPLY disturbed by a passage I read in there.

jeffreys
Jan 30th 2008, 04:39 PM
Anyone here used or familiar with the Everyday Readers Version of the Bible? My understanding is that it is published by the same people who published the New Century Version (NCV) and is written at a third grade level.

Picked one up at a local bookstore and was DEEPLY disturbed by a passage I read in there.

I've not run across it.

Please elaborate! :)

Buck shot
Jan 30th 2008, 05:27 PM
New one to me too! Not much surprising about what comes out today though. Old Satan loves to divide and conquer.

What did you find there that bothered you? I try to keep an open mind but I have trouble understanding why we need more versions today.

Why are we not just calling them what they are, commentaries. Matthew Henry did not call his a bible even though he is probably quoted from the pulpit as much as some versions.

TrustGzus
Jan 30th 2008, 09:58 PM
Hey IB,

The NCV is published by Thomas Nelson. Thomas Nelson publishes the NKJV. So the NKJV is their formal equivalent translation while the NCV would be more like their functional version or version for newer Christians or people who aren't as good with English, etc.

Are you sure you got that title correct? I "Googled" Everyday Readers Version and all that Google came up with for that phrase was this thread.

Grace & peace,

Joe

Clifton
Jan 30th 2008, 11:20 PM

What was the passage that DEEPLY disturbed you?

It would help I could know what the underlying Greek New Testament being used is: Check out Luke 4:44, and tell me if it the word "Galilee" or "Judea" is there. That may give me a jump start;

(ALT) And He was preaching in the synagogues of Galilee.

(ESV) And he was preaching in the synagogues of Judea.

I just came up with a web site with the following:

New Century Version

Abbreviation: NCV (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=innvista-20&path=tg/detail/-/0834401673/%22)
Released:1987
Contents:Old Testament, New Testament
Source Used:Word Publishing (1987)
Location:Tyndale House (http://www.tyndale.cam.ac.uk/), Cambridge, United Kingdom

Source:
http://www.innvista.com/culture/religion/bible/versions/ncv.htm

Braves27
Jan 31st 2008, 10:14 AM
Just another one of those comic books pretending to be a Bible...it just about makes me want to cry that people want the Bible dumbed down for them so bad.:B

specks
Jan 31st 2008, 05:19 PM
I think this version was in the kids' Bible section at the bookstore I go to, but I haven't looked at it. Do you remember what passage was troubling?

lildave7777
Jan 31st 2008, 05:50 PM
As much as i cringe at some of the "translations" that are out there i have to say that anything that brings pepple closer to Christ is a good thing. on the flipside if they change the scripture enough then they are false prophets....

IBWatching
Feb 1st 2008, 03:41 PM
Sorry I am late in responding here. I got busy yesterday PM and didn't have a chance to get back. I went back and wrote down the passage in question:

Hebrews 6:9 "Dear friends, I am not saying this because I think it is happening to you. We really expect that you will do better--that you will do the good things that will result in your salvation."

IMO, the passage blatantly says that one can "work" their way to salvation. I understand the version is supposed to be more readable, but this is terrible.

Clifton
Feb 1st 2008, 04:00 PM
Sorry I am late in responding here. I got busy yesterday PM and didn't have a chance to get back. I went back and wrote down the passage in question:

Hebrews 6:9 "Dear friends, I am not saying this because I think it is happening to you. We really expect that you will do better--that you will do the good things that will result in your salvation."

IMO, the passage blatantly says that one can "work" their way to salvation. I understand the version is supposed to be more readable, but this is terrible.

Well, that could be misunderstood alright -

Looking at the Analytical Literal Translation (ALT),

But we have been convinced concerning you, beloved, the better things and having {fig., those accompanying} salvation, even though we are speaking in this way.

The "result" in your quote adjoins "the good things". Thankfully, it does not say "the good things will bring you salvation", but I suspect people are going to tell them about that verse, and they will give a better and more clearer translation in a follow-up version. Having said that, your concern IS justified.

Buck shot
Feb 1st 2008, 06:52 PM
:eek: Pretty scary. You are right!

specks
Feb 1st 2008, 07:06 PM
Thankfully, it does not say "the good things will bring you salvation"

If I didn't know better that is how I would interpret it. Very confusing wording!

IBWatching
Feb 1st 2008, 08:56 PM
...your concern IS justified.

I felt so. All of the other major translations (KJV-NKJV-NASB/U-NIV) render it as things which "accompany" salvation. That I can accept.

grit
Feb 1st 2008, 09:30 PM

Are you thinking of the ERV (http://www.wbtc.com/site/PageServer?pagename=Why_an_Easy_to_Read_Version) (the Easy-to-Read Version published by Baker Book House, and originally marketed as The English Version for the Deaf)?
It's on a 3rd grade reading level comparable to the NiRV (New International Reader's Version, a simplification of the NIV from Zondervan Publishers) and ICB (International Children's Bible, a simplification of the NCV published by Thomas Nelson). I still think the ICB is one of the best for children in certain settings.

There's also The Everyday Bible, NCV (http://www.thomasnelson.com/consumer/product_detail.asp?sku=0718001192&TopLevel_id=190000) from Thomas Nelson.

And still yet, there's The Bible for Everyday Life (http://www.amazon.com/Bible-Everyday-Life-George-Carey/dp/0802841570/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201902206&sr=8-13) by Archbishop of Canterbury, George Carey, from Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, and intended as more of an Anglican commentary.

However, the one you most likely saw was the ERV the Everyday Reading Bible (http://www.authenticmedia.co.uk/AuthenticSite/product/bibles4adults/9781932805994.htm) from Authentic Media and the World Bible Translation Centre (http://www.wbtc.com/site/PageServer?pagename=Why_an_Easy_to_Read_Version), who, yep!, are responsible for The English Version for the Deaf mentioned above. This ERV is a British revision of the NCV, which is based on the initial work of The English Version for the Deaf (now sometimes listed as the EVD) . The Brits have done some very odd things with Bible translations from the States, retooled for a British audience. That's what got conservative Christians up in arms some years back regarding a revamp of the NIV, which eventually was significantly changed with greater caution and repackaged as the TNIV (Today's New International Version), and primarily marketed to college kids. Still, when one considers the initial focus group and evangelistic outreach to people having communicative difficulties with understanding traditional English Bible texts, the ERV has its place of use, even if it was never intended as a formal equivalence to original Bible language texts.

Clifton
Feb 1st 2008, 09:33 PM
I felt so. All of the other major translations (KJV-NKJV-NASB/U-NIV) render it as things which "accompany" salvation. That I can accept.

Yea ... the more I looked at it, the more disturbing it looks... it looks like another doctrine promotion for salvation that is contrary to faith and grace.

Anyone can be saved anywhere and receive the gift of salvation, any place, any time, no matter what circumstances are.
;)

Denbar
Feb 1st 2008, 11:10 PM
Scary!

Makes me wonder, since satan loves to mimic Christianity, if this is one of those times. It also makes me curious as to what else this version holds.

Since the Bible is so clear on works not leading to salvation, I have a hard time believing itís an error, since itís Bible Scholars that normally do the actual translations.

Yup, it does make me wonder! Seems as if apostasy is cropping up everywhere these days.:hmm:

BadDog
Feb 1st 2008, 11:28 PM

Hebres 6:9 text...

IMO, the passage blatantly says that one can "work" their way to salvation. I understand the version is supposed to be more readable, but this is terrible.IBWatching,

Understand your concerns. I love to investigate translations. I love most of them - nearly all of them - including the ole KJV. But I gotta agree with your concerns there. The issue with more free translations is that in an attempt to make things more clear, they need to interpret more in their translation. Hence, if their theology is shakey, this sort of thing happens.

Ugh,

BD

Clifton
Feb 2nd 2008, 12:21 AM
I checked 5 Greek New Testaments to see the reading(s) for Hebrews 6:9, and they were exactly the same, precisely.

I even checked the significant variants (http://www.dtl.org/alt/variants/gen-epistles.htm) for Hebrews 6:9 (http://net.bible.org/verse.php?book=Hebrews&chapter=6&verse=9), and there were none listed. I even looked at what significant variants might be for Chapter 6. Those exist, but nothing to rock one’s world. The “most” significant one is the second listed for 6:10 (The list is below). But nothing is here to excuse the NCV reading at all. Apparently, somebody was eager to get home, upset with their spouse, or something another, and wound up giving a bad reading.

IMO, Translators of any language need to go further than just “conveying what a passage is saying" to the reader, they ought to also consider what the reader is going to perceive.

6:3 MT: we shall do – TR/ CT: we will do

6:10 MT/ TR: labor of love – CT: love

MT/ CT: you* yourselves showed – TR: you* yourselves must show

6:16 MT/ TR: people indeed – CT: people

On the other bibles you mentioned, KJV, NKJV, NASB, and U-NIV, the Greek Text Base used are as follows:
KJV, NKJV uses TR (Textus Receptus)
NASB and U-NIV uses CT (Critical Text)

MT stands for Majority Text

If the Bible states "Judea" instead of "Galilee" in Luke 4:44 (http://net.bible.org/verse.php?book=Luke&chapter=4&verse=44) (which is a parallel with Mark 1:39 (http://net.bible.org/verse.php?book=Mark&chapter=1&verse=39)), then it is constructed on the CT (Critical Text).

Since you have the U-NIV, I wonder if it did the same thing for Hebrews 11:11 that it did in it’s original NIV, tossing Sarah out of the catalog of faith and inserting Abraham into the text, despite the fact that NO such MS said that. Back in the early 1990's when I got a NIV Module for Online Bible Software, that company was stunned at the reading, and said they checked and checked with scholars, etc. they could, and they all said unequivocally, that ALL MS say “Sarah”, not “Abraham”. So Online Bible offered 100 dollars (mind ya, this was in the early 1990's) to anyone that could present an ancient MS of the reading. My hard print of NIV drops "Sarah" to a footnote.

Now, as for another Bible, an older one, that would be off-topic here, so I will post a new thread titled "The Diaglot Bible" to rock to senses of those whom are not already familiar with its grievous error(s).

Braves27
Feb 2nd 2008, 02:47 AM
Question: Why is it so easy for people to accept that this ERV twists and manipulates the Scripures beyond recognition, and so hard for people to accept that the NIV, NKJV, ESV, NSAB, etc. do the same thing? And not in a subtle way at all...