PDA

View Full Version : Question about something from the book of thessalonians

Zorgblar
Feb 1st 2008, 12:21 PM
In the first book of thessalonians in verses 13-15 paul talks of thoses who have died believeing in God as have fallen asleep.But then he goes on to say that when jesus returns he will bring back with him all of the people who have died believeing in God.Then in verses 16-18 paul goes on to say that all of the people that are not currently with jesus already during his return and who have died in the faith will be brought back to life and after that they will be taken up to heaven along with anybody else who believes in god and who will during that time be caught up in the rapture and reside with God forever and ever.

So what is everybody else's thoughts on this?I am really interested to hear what everbody else thinks about this.Well bye for now.:wave:

9Marksfan
Feb 1st 2008, 12:34 PM
Not sure what your problem is with this passage - is it the fact that we can be dead and buried when Jesus comes back, yet come back with Him as well?

It's important to remember that there is an intermediate state, where our spirits go to be with the LORD as soon as we die. The writer to the Hebrews tells us that in our worship here and now, we are joining together with those in Heaven just now - not only the angels, but the "spirits of just men made perfect" - ie Christians and OT believers who have died already - absent from the body, present with the LORD.

When Jesus returns, He will bring all of Heaven with Him - and our glorified spirits will be reunited with our bodies, which will be raised from the dead at His return! Those who are alive at His return will be caught up as well to be with Christ (the rapture) and so we will all be forever with the LORD! :pp:pp:pp

Zorgblar
Feb 1st 2008, 12:41 PM
Not sure what your problem is with this passage - is it the fact that we can be dead and buried when Jesus comes back, yet come back with Him as well?

That's EXACTLY my problem.I just don't get how we can be dead and gone and still be able to return with jesus at his second coming.Oh well i guess since God can do ANYTHING he could probably find a way to make it work like that.

9Marksfan
Feb 1st 2008, 01:00 PM
That's EXACTLY my problem.I just don't get how we can be dead and gone and still be able to return with jesus at his second coming.Oh well i guess since God can do ANYTHING he could probably find a way to make it work like that.

Have you ever seen someone you knew and loved just after they died, before they are buried? It's so tangible that their spirit has left them - the life has gone! Scripture tells us that our spirits go to be with the LORD - it seems they are a visible manifestation of what we were like in life (eg Moses and Elijah appearing with Jesus in the Transfiguration and the souls that John could see under the altar in Revelation).

We will return with Christ and all His holy angels and be reunited with our resurrected bodies! It will be THE most awesome event this world has EVER seen! NO Hollywood blockbuster's CGI special FX will come CLOSE to what it will be like! And there's the New Heavens and New Earth AS WELL!

"But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." 1 Cor 2:9 KJV

Zorgblar
Feb 1st 2008, 01:04 PM
Have you ever seen someone you knew and loved just after they died, before they are buried? It's so tangible that their spirit has left them - the life has gone! Scripture tells us that our spirits go to be with the LORD - it seems they are a visible manifestation of what we were like in life (eg Moses and Elijah appearing with Jesus in the Transfiguration and the souls that John could see under the altar in Revelation).

We will return with Christ and all His holy angels and be reunited with our resurrected bodies! It will be THE most awesome event this world has EVER seen! NO Hollywood blockbuster's CGI special FX will come CLOSE to what it will be like! And there's the New Heavens and New Earth AS WELL!

"But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." 1 Cor 2:9 KJV

Thanks for replying.:)

Buck shot
Feb 1st 2008, 06:38 PM
Good Job 9Marksfan,
I agree, spirit goes to the Lord when we die. The body will "sleep", rest, or stay here until He calls it to give us our glorified bodies. Hence the "dead in Christ will rise first".

BadDog
Feb 1st 2008, 11:21 PM
In the first book of thessalonians in verses 13-15 paul talks of thoses who have died believeing in God as have fallen asleep.But then he goes on to say that when jesus returns he will bring back with him all of the people who have died believeing in God.Then in verses 16-18 paul goes on to say that all of the people that are not currently with jesus already during his return and who have died in the faith will be brought back to life and after that they will be taken up to heaven along with anybody else who believes in god and who will during that time be caught up in the rapture and reside with God forever and ever.

So what is everybody else's thoughts on this?I am really interested to hear what everybody else thinks about this.Well bye for now.:wave:Those who have died in Christ are presently with Christ. ("To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.")

But they have not yet received their new bodies. Apparently they have some temporary body, or exist in some manner without a body.

When Christ returns, in the twinkling of an eye, He will bring them with Him. Then they will receive their new bodies an instant before we are snatched up to Him and receive our new bodies.

So, as was said above, it is the body which "sleeps"... not the soul.

Take care,

BD

Illumined
Feb 2nd 2008, 05:54 AM

10but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit.
The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God.

The best part of 1 Cor 2:9.....is 2:10.....BUT!!!!!!!!