PDA

View Full Version : No More Prophecies

ravi4u2
Feb 6th 2008, 07:02 PM
Revelation 22 verses18 and 19 says, "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."

Do these verses mean that prophecies are not required today as they would seem to be like adding to the prophecies already contained in the holy book? Are those that prophecy delusional?

godsgirl
Feb 6th 2008, 07:07 PM
Depends on what you mean by "prophesy" in the Bible-there is a gift of prophesy-which is "speaking forth" what the Lord tells you to say-and this gift just like the other 8 listed is (or should be) a definite part of the Spirit filled life.

Zorgblar
Feb 6th 2008, 07:55 PM
You are correct. If anyone comes saying they had a dream that God spoke to him or they are speaking in tongues claiming that they are messages from God are violating this passage. As you said, this passage states that there will be nothing further than what's already written in the bible.

If that's true then how do you explain the book of joel Chapter 2 verse 28 and the book of acts chapter 2 verse 17?:confused

2Witnesses
Feb 6th 2008, 08:07 PM
There are no NEW prophecies, as far as the Word of God is concerned. There are only 'confirmations' and explanations of what has gone before.

But there are others functions of prophecy as a gift. It can be used to reveal a person;s heart. But it can be a word spoken over a person that God wants that person to know.

As Paul says, 'Do not dispise prophecies.'

2Witnesses

godsgirl
Feb 6th 2008, 08:07 PM
You are correct. If anyone comes saying they had a dream that God spoke to him or they are speaking in tongues claiming that they are messages from God are violating this passage. As you said, this passage states that there will be nothing further than what's already written in the bible.

HUH???? tongues and interpretation, or prophesy for that matter-is valid for today-it will be in agreement with the Word-that's all.

menJesus
Feb 6th 2008, 08:14 PM
:) And :) here :) we :) go :) again. :)

markedward
Feb 6th 2008, 08:25 PM
Revelation 22 verses18 and 19 says, "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."

Do these verses mean that prophecies are not required today as they would seem to be like adding to the prophecies already contained in the holy book? Are those that prophecy delusional?The statement is about changing the contents of the book of the Revelation. It doesn't say people won't ever prophecy again, it's very specific in warning against a person intentionally changing, erasing, or adding into the book itself, so it shouldn't be generalized that all prophecy afterwards is adding into the book.

Nothing in the passage says anything about prophecy ending. It simply warns against altering the prophecies that had just been explained.

divaD
Feb 6th 2008, 11:22 PM
The bible wasn't completed as yet. In Joel it makes a prophesy of the churches coming into existence at pentecost. What happened there? Speaking in tongues along with the other miracles spoken of in Joel. In Acts it just repeats what was said in Joel concerning what was going on in this church.

I pretty much agree with you, but don't forget to consider this verse. I'm pretty certain this hasn't been fullfilled yet.

Revelation 11:3 And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.

Clifton
Feb 6th 2008, 11:53 PM

Do these verses mean that prophecies are not required today as they would seem to be like adding to the prophecies already contained in the holy book? Are those that prophecy delusional?

The Greek of those verses are too good to ever have been written by The Seer, John The Presbyter, and he would not have ever written such a thing anyway knowing that there was bound to be transmission errors and not to mention, transmissions into other languages, especially since he was using Hebrew Idioms. His Style of Greek was unique. As far as we know, this is the only set writings by Him, but some people contend (though I am not one of them), that The Seer plagiarized DSS Revelation, with some modifications and additions (The issue with the 7 Churches is not in DSS Revelation).

Those verses, 22:18-19, were interpolated by an arch-heretic (probably an unknowingly one), whose Greek was quite good, which showed the most remarkable highest degree of his stupidity. What is amusing, yet sad in some aspects, in regards to them phony verses, is that The Book Of Revelation has more variants than all the other Greek Scriptures put together. (IOW, there has been more adding and subtracting with this book then any other). Let's CONDENSE it down to this:

According to Dr. Wilbur N. Pickering, ThM, PhD., in the Book of Revelation, "there are 150 places where there is no majority reading (all below 50%), plus another 250 where the majority falls between 50 and 60."

Now, with three Greek Text Bases (TR, CT, MT) being used for English Bibles, there are a degree of disagreements between those three Greek Text Bases for The Book of Revelation. The most significant one for end-timers (no, I am not a Pantelist) is 9:16. If you would like to review the significant variants for the Book Of Revelation, you can access them at:

http://www.dtl.org/alt/variants/revelation.htm

Notice that I mentioned, 9:16 on the Web Page;

9:16 MT/ CT: of the armies – TR: of [the] armies

MT: horse – TR/ CT: horsemen

MT: [was] ten thousand [times] ten thousand [i.e. 100 million] –
TR: [was] two [times] ten thousand [times] ten thousand [i.e. 200 million] – CT: [was] twenty thousand [times] ten thousand [i.e. 200 million].

IOW, "100 million" for Bibles using the MT, and "200 million" for those using the TR or CT.;) I have noticed one or more MT Based Bibles still using the "200 million" reading.

Also, The Book Of Revelation has not always been allowed in various Canons throughout the ages - it has been in and out and in and out, and so on. It is one of the books, as I understand, that the Reformation did not want in The Bible. Even today, some want it out, but think of the good movies we'd miss if it were out:D.

RogerW
Feb 7th 2008, 01:34 AM

Greetings Ravi,

There is a common argument that this warning refers only to the book of Revelation. But, this same warning of adding or detracting from what God has spoken is a common theme in Scripture. We find similar language in the OT regarding the commandments of God, but also specifically for "every word of God".

De 4:2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Pr 30:5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
Pr 30:6 Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

A good point has been made regarding the "two witnesses" who are given to prophesy. If all prophesy has ended, or some come claiming to be prophets of God, would they not be adding to the pure prophecy of the Word of God?

Re 11:3 And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.

To understand who is bringing this prophesy we need to know who the two witnesses are.

Re 11:4 These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth.

In Romans 11 we find the olive tree also called the natural branches, and refers to the Jews.

Ro 11:17 And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;

Ro 11:24 For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree?

This makes sense that the two olive trees would be given to witness unto the Lord because salvation is first to the Jew, hence the Jews would be the first to witness.

Ro 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

We are shown in Rev 1 that the second witness, the candlestick refers to the seven churches.

Re 1:20 The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.

This too makes sense when we consider that it is to the church that God gave apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, and teachers; for the perfecting of the saints, work of the minstry, and of the knowledge of the Son of God for the edifying of the body of Christ.

Eph 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
Eph 4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Eph 4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

Now we know who is given to prophesy, but what prophecy are they given to bring? The word of a prophet of God edifies, exhorts, and comforts the church.

1Co 14:3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
1Co 14:4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

The true prophet of God brings prophecy of the grace of God in salvation through Christ.

1Pe 1:10 Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you:
1Pe 1:11 Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.

All of the prophets of God have given the same prophesy from Enoch to John the Baptist. All true prophets of God show forth the coming of the Lord at His first advent, and show forth His second coming on the clouds of glory with ten thousands of His saints.

Jude 1:14 And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,
Jude 1:15 To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.

Finally God tells John that he must prophesy again before many peoples, nations, tongues, and kings.

Re 10:11 And he said unto me, Thou must prophesy again before many peoples, and nations, and tongues, and kings.

Lu 2:10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.

Lu 2:30 For mine eyes have seen thy salvation,
Lu 2:31 Which thou hast prepared before the face of all people;
Lu 2:32 A light to lighten the Gentiles, and the glory of thy people Israel.

In conclusion I would say anyone professing to be a prophet of God today had better be bringing prophesy of the Lord and His salvation. There are many who will claim to bring prophesy in the name of the Lord, and Christ will profess to them, "I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." If we say "thus sayeth the Lord" we better be certain that the Lord has truly spoken the words we bring.

Mt 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mt 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Many Blessings,
RW

2Witnesses
Feb 7th 2008, 01:45 AM
Greetings Ravi,

There is a common argument that this warning refers only to the book of Revelation. But, this same warning of adding or detracting from what God has spoken is a common theme in Scripture. We find similar language in the OT regarding the commandments of God, but also specifically for "every word of God".

De 4:2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Pr 30:5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
Pr 30:6 Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

A good point has been made regarding the "two witnesses" who are given to prophesy. If all prophesy has ended, or some come claiming to be prophets of God, would they not be adding to the pure prophecy of the Word of God?

Re 11:3 And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.

To understand who is bringing this prophesy we need to know who the two witnesses are.

Re 11:4 These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth.

In Romans 11 we find the olive tree also called the natural branches, and refers to the Jews.

Ro 11:17 And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;

Ro 11:24 For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree?

This makes sense that the two olive trees would be given to witness unto the Lord because salvation is first to the Jew, hence the Jews would be the first to witness.

Ro 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

We are shown in Rev 1 that the second witness, the candlestick refers to the seven churches.

Re 1:20 The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.

This too makes sense when we consider that it is to the church that God gave apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, and teachers; for the perfecting of the saints, work of the minstry, and of the knowledge of the Son of God for the edifying of the body of Christ.

Eph 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
Eph 4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Eph 4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

Now we know who is given to prophesy, but what prophecy are they given to bring? The word of a prophet of God edifies, exhorts, and comforts the church.

1Co 14:3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
1Co 14:4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

The true prophet of God brings prophecy of the grace of God in salvation through Christ.

1Pe 1:10 Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you:
1Pe 1:11 Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.

All of the prophets of God have given the same prophesy from Enoch to John the Baptist. All true prophets of God show forth the coming of the Lord at His first advent, and show forth His second coming on the clouds of glory with ten thousands of His saints.

Jude 1:14 And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,
Jude 1:15 To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.

Finally God tells John that he must prophesy again before many peoples, nations, tongues, and kings.

Re 10:11 And he said unto me, Thou must prophesy again before many peoples, and nations, and tongues, and kings.

Lu 2:10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.

Lu 2:30 For mine eyes have seen thy salvation,
Lu 2:31 Which thou hast prepared before the face of all people;
Lu 2:32 A light to lighten the Gentiles, and the glory of thy people Israel.

In conclusion I would say anyone professing to be a prophet of God today had better be bringing prophesy of the Lord and His salvation. There are many who will claim to bring prophesy in the name of the Lord, and Christ will profess to them, "I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." If we say "thus sayeth the Lord" we better be certain that the Lord has truly spoken the words we bring.

Mt 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mt 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Many Blessings,
RW

Roger,

Nice points!

2Witnesses

ravi4u2
Feb 7th 2008, 02:41 AM
In conclusion I would say anyone professing to be a prophet of God today had better be bringing prophesy of the Lord and His salvation. There are many who will claim to bring prophesy in the name of the Lord, and Christ will profess to them, "I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." If we say "thus sayeth the Lord" we better be certain that the Lord has truly spoken the words we bring.In light of what you have said, how would you make sense of:

Acts 11:27 & 28: "And in these days prophets came from Jerusalem to Antioch. Then one of them, named Agabus, stood up and showed by the Spirit that there was going to be a great famine throughout all the world, which also happened in the days of Claudius Caesar." OR

Acts 21: 10 - 11: "And as we stayed many days, a certain prophet named Agabus came down from Judea. When he had come to us, he took Paul’s belt, bound his own hands and feet, and said, “Thus says the Holy Spirit, ‘So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man who owns this belt, and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles."

These prophecies were not about Christ's first or second coming nor about spiritual salvation. Unless you had also meant physically being safe (when you said salvation) as well.

ravi4u2
Feb 7th 2008, 04:42 PM
Revelation 11:3 And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.If there are no more new prophecies except what is in the Bible, what are these two witnesses doing?

godsgirl
Feb 7th 2008, 04:57 PM
Speaking a word from God is the definition of prophesy-not telling the future, so those witnesses will be speaking God's Truth in Power to the nations.

Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy” (1 Cor. 14:1). We need the true prophetic word of the Spirit in our churches, but not human words purporting to be the voice of the Spirit.

http://ag.org/top/Beliefs/sptlissues_prophets_prophecies.cfm

Stefen
Feb 7th 2008, 05:07 PM
The statement is about changing the contents of the book of the Revelation. It doesn't say people won't ever prophecy again, it's very specific in warning against a person intentionally changing, erasing, or adding into the book itself, so it shouldn't be generalized that all prophecy afterwards is adding into the book.

Nothing in the passage says anything about prophecy ending. It simply warns against altering the prophecies that had just been explained.

Thats a pretty common sense answer, and how anyone would come up with a different conclusion is unknown to me.

RogerW
Feb 7th 2008, 07:52 PM
In light of what you have said, how would you make sense of:

Acts 11:27 & 28: "And in these days prophets came from Jerusalem to Antioch. Then one of them, named Agabus, stood up and showed by the Spirit that there was going to be a great famine throughout all the world, which also happened in the days of Claudius Caesar." OR

Acts 21: 10 - 11: "And as we stayed many days, a certain prophet named Agabus came down from Judea. When he had come to us, he took Paul’s belt, bound his own hands and feet, and said, “Thus says the Holy Spirit, ‘So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man who owns this belt, and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles."

These prophecies were not about Christ's first or second coming nor about spiritual salvation. Unless you had also meant physically being safe (when you said salvation) as well.

The word 'world' in the prophecy of Agabus (Acts 11) refers to land, specifically the Roman empire. The fulfillment of this prophesy happened just as both Christ and Agabus foretold. This prophesy points to the end of the OT covenant under the law, and the beginning of the NT covenant in Christ Jesus. And it was fulfilled just as Agabus, and Christ foretod it would be.

Mt 24:5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
Mt 24:6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
Mt 24:7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

The second prophesy through Agabus too has everything to do with Christ. For Paul was ordained by God to be the apostle unto the Gentiles, and God had said that Paul would suffer greatly for His name sake. Agabus foretold what would happen to Paul in Jerusalem because Paul would not be persuaded to cease from declaring the name of the Lord Jesus, and so Paul was ready to die to fullifil the will of the Lord. This is what Agabus' prophesy was about, Paul fulfilling his God ordained appointment for the name of the Lord.

Ac 9:16 For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake.

Ac 21:4 And finding disciples, we tarried there seven days: who said to Paul through the Spirit, that he should not go up to Jerusalem.

Ac 21:12 And when we heard these things, both we, and they of that place, besought him not to go up to Jerusalem.
Ac 21:13 Then Paul answered, What mean ye to weep and to break mine heart? for I am ready not to be bound only, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.
Ac 21:14 And when he would not be persuaded, we ceased, saying, The will of the Lord be done.

So the prophet Agabus too foretold things of the Lord.

Many Blessings,
RW

RogerW
Feb 7th 2008, 07:54 PM
If there are no more new prophecies except what is in the Bible, what are these two witnesses doing?

They are bringing prophesy of the Lord, by which the eternal Kingdom of God is being built, and when the Kingdom is complete their prophesy will be finished.

Many Blessings,
RW

Friend of I AM
Feb 7th 2008, 08:04 PM

I think people can have visions regarding existing prophecies that haven't been fulfilled. So long as they aren't adding to what's already been stated in the bible. When someone adds something that is not already listed in the bible, that's when one needs to discredit their testimony(i.e. Joseph Smith, Jim Jones, David Karesh, etc) The gift of prophecy nowadays probably is more in line with understanding what unfulfilled prophecies mean as well as having a better understanding of what various scripture passages mean more so than anything else.

ravi4u2
Feb 7th 2008, 10:49 PM
The word 'world' in the prophecy of Agabus (Acts 11) refers to land, specifically the Roman empire. The fulfillment of this prophesy happened just as both Christ and Agabus foretold. This prophesy points to the end of the OT covenant under the law, and the beginning of the NT covenant in Christ Jesus. And it was fulfilled just as Agabus, and Christ foretod it would be.

Mt 24:5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
Mt 24:6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
Mt 24:7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

The second prophesy through Agabus too has everything to do with Christ. For Paul was ordained by God to be the apostle unto the Gentiles, and God had said that Paul would suffer greatly for His name sake. Agabus foretold what would happen to Paul in Jerusalem because Paul would not be persuaded to cease from declaring the name of the Lord Jesus, and so Paul was ready to die to fullifil the will of the Lord. This is what Agabus' prophesy was about, Paul fulfilling his God ordained appointment for the name of the Lord.

Ac 9:16 For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake.

Ac 21:4 And finding disciples, we tarried there seven days: who said to Paul through the Spirit, that he should not go up to Jerusalem.

Ac 21:12 And when we heard these things, both we, and they of that place, besought him not to go up to Jerusalem.
Ac 21:13 Then Paul answered, What mean ye to weep and to break mine heart? for I am ready not to be bound only, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.
Ac 21:14 And when he would not be persuaded, we ceased, saying, The will of the Lord be done.

So the prophet Agabus too foretold things of the Lord.

Many Blessings,
RWSo, are you saying that prophecy can be specific to the present time, as long as it is validated vaguely in the Bible? What about, if someone were to prophecy that the computer is going to crash worldwide on such and such a date and so cause global panic and economic instability? Would it be a valid prophecy?

ravi4u2
Feb 7th 2008, 10:49 PM
They are bringing prophesy of the Lord, by which the eternal Kingdom of God is being built, and when the Kingdom is complete their prophesy will be finished.

Many Blessings,
RWSo, prophecy still continues but will finish one day?

ravi4u2
Feb 7th 2008, 10:52 PM
Speaking a word from God is the definition of prophesy-not telling the future, so those witnesses will be speaking God's Truth in Power to the nations.

Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy” (1 Cor. 14:1). We need the true prophetic word of the Spirit in our churches, but not human words purporting to be the voice of the Spirit.

http://ag.org/top/Beliefs/sptlissues_prophets_prophecies.cfmBut aren't prophecies spoken with the fallible human kanguage, thus making them prone at least to misunderstandings?

godsgirl
Feb 7th 2008, 11:23 PM
Yes, they can be misunderstood. This is where the gift of discernment comes into play. Prophesy is a gift given by God to the church-but under no circumstances are any prophesies to be taken as the infallible Word of God--they are, in the best situation, a specific word from God to a specific people at a specific time. When the gift of prophesy (or tongues and interpretation) are given in the church-there will be a witness in your Spirit if the Word is life to you-your situation.

For example---say your house burnt down and in church that Sunday the prophetic word that came forth was "I am with you, when you walk through the water I will be there and through the flame-nothing shall by any means harm you-for I am your God and I will uphold you in good times and bad" It would be not something new-that's already in the Word--but specifically for you to build you up in the faith. The bible says, prophesy-and tongues and interpretation are for the building up of the church-for edification and comfort.

RogerW
Feb 7th 2008, 11:53 PM
So, are you saying that prophecy can be specific to the present time, as long as it is validated vaguely in the Bible? What about, if someone were to prophecy that the computer is going to crash worldwide on such and such a date and so cause global panic and economic instability? Would it be a valid prophecy?

I thought we were specifically speaking of biblical prophesy? I suppose anyone can and does claim to be a prophet and come up with all manner of guesses as to what will come to pass. When one claims to be a prophet of God, their prophesy had better find agreement in the Word of God, if it does not, and it is some new revelation that cannot be confirmed in the Word, then that so-called prophet of God is adding to biblical prophesy, and Rev is pretty clear about what that so-called prophet can expect.

Many Blessings,
RW

RogerW
Feb 8th 2008, 12:00 AM
So, prophecy still continues but will finish one day?

Perhaps I haven't spoken with enough clarity. Prophesy today is forth-telling, or bringing the testimony of Christ. Since the completion of the Bible or perhaps since the last of the first century (NT) apostles, God has chosen to bring revelation through His written Word, and the HS helps us to understand what His Word reveals to us. Why is this revelation important? Because bringing revelation of Christ through His Word is what God has chosen to use to save His people (faith comes by hearing the Word). The Kingdom of God has been being built throughout the ages, and when the eternal Kingdom is complete there will be no more need for bringing revelation of Christ.

Many Blessings,
RW

ravi4u2
Feb 8th 2008, 04:45 PM
Yes, they can be misunderstood. This is where the gift of discernment comes into play. Prophesy is a gift given by God to the church-but under no circumstances are any prophesies to be taken as the infallible Word of God--they are, in the best situation, a specific word from God to a specific people at a specific time. When the gift of prophesy (or tongues and interpretation) are given in the church-there will be a witness in your Spirit if the Word is life to you-your situation.

For example---say your house burnt down and in church that Sunday the prophetic word that came forth was "I am with you, when you walk through the water I will be there and through the flame-nothing shall by any means harm you-for I am your God and I will uphold you in good times and bad" It would be not something new-that's already in the Word--but specifically for you to build you up in the faith. The bible says, prophesy-and tongues and interpretation are for the building up of the church-for edification and comfort.

Perhaps I haven't spoken with enough clarity. Prophesy today is forth-telling, or bringing the testimony of Christ. Since the completion of the Bible or perhaps since the last of the first century (NT) apostles, God has chosen to bring revelation through His written Word, and the HS helps us to understand what His Word reveals to us. Why is this revelation important? Because bringing revelation of Christ through His Word is what God has chosen to use to save His people (faith comes by hearing the Word). The Kingdom of God has been being built throughout the ages, and when the eternal Kingdom is complete there will be no more need for bringing revelation of Christ.

Many Blessings,
RWSo you are saying that prophecy now is only for a specific gathering of believers and not for anything bigger than that? What you quoted sounds more like a word of encouragement than prophecy. Is not foretelling as important as forthtelling in prophecy? For example the prophecies of Agabus were foretelling...

godsgirl
Feb 8th 2008, 05:02 PM
Who's Agabus? The purpose of the New Testament gift of prophecy, like all of the gifts of the Spirit, was to edify and build up the body of Christ through encouragement, consolation, and correction.

ravi4u2
Feb 8th 2008, 06:56 PM
Who's Agabus? The purpose of the New Testament gift of prophecy, like all of the gifts of the Spirit, was to edify and build up the body of Christ through encouragement, consolation, and correction.That guy in the book of Acts??? So, there is no place for foretelling in NT prophecy???