PDA

View Full Version : Why Do We Assemble For Church

servantsheart
Feb 10th 2008, 09:01 PM
I believe we still assemble for church (on the Sabbath) because it glorifies God to hear His word peached to the assembled believers...
Plethos--Greek--the whole number, is translated 'assembly' in Acts 23:7.
Ekklesia--Greek--[assembly] Acts 19:32-39;41; professed [professional] believers; Matt. 16:18, "I will build My Church --the church which is his body.
Hebrews 10:25 IN OBEDIENCE TO GOD ..... Not forsaking or neglecting to assemble together [ as believer], as is the habit of some people, but admonishing [warning, urging, and encouraging] one another, and all the more faithfully as you see the day approaching.
We may not be commanded to attend a church but we need to love God and be seeking after Him enough to want to be obedient and be apart of an assembled family of professing believers.
We do this to encourage each other, to bring comfort to the hurting, to break bread together (sharing of the Last Supper), to hear the Word preached, to teach our young, to baptise the new believes, to give of our first fruits (tithes), to fellowship and practice our horizontal connection concerning the loving of our brethern/neighbor, to encourage, to lay hands on the sick (Matt. 18:20, For where two or three are gathered in my name, there I am in the midst of them.]; and to give praise and worship and all the glory and honor back to HIM.
perhaps I am the only one who believes in this way...I would like to hear from you...especially from jiggyfly and ravi4u2 since we were discussing this on another thread and had to move. Thanks!

jiggyfly
Feb 11th 2008, 12:49 AM
I believe we still assemble for church (on the Sabbath) because it glorifies God to hear His word peached to the assembled believers...
Ekklesia--Greek--[assembly] Acts 19:32-39;41; professed [professional] believers; Matt. 16:18, "I will build My Church --the church which is his body.
Hebrews 10:25 IN OBEDIENCE TO GOD ..... Not forsaking or neglecting to assemble together [ as believer], as is the habit of some people, but admonishing [warning, urging, and encouraging] one another, and all the more faithfully as you see the day approaching.
We may not be commanded to attend a church but we need to love God and be seeking after Him enough to want to be obedient and be apart of an assembled family of professing believers.
We do this to encourage each other, to bring comfort to the hurting, to break bread together (sharing of the Last Supper), to hear the Word preached, to teach our young, to baptise the new believes, to give of our first fruits (tithes), to fellowship and practice our horizontal connection concerning the loving of our brethern/neighbor, to encourage, to lay hands on the sick (Matt. 18:20, For where two or three are gathered in my name, there I am in the midst of them.]; and to give praise and worship and all the glory and honor back to HIM.
perhaps I am the only one who believes in this way...I would like to hear from you...especially from jiggyfly and ravi4u2 since we were discussing this on another thread and had to move. Thanks!
So basically you believe that one must attend a religious liturgical meeting on Sunday in order to obey Hebrews 10:25 do you have any other new testament scriptures to confirm this? Can I safely assume that you would not recognize a bible study at someone's home as a fulfillment of Hebrews 10: 25?

servantsheart
Feb 11th 2008, 04:45 AM
Was Paul not speaking to individual churches; local churches; and individuals within those local churches....
If we are the 'indivisable' body of Chirst, those who's eyes He chose to open and form us into His body, His body of believers by faith in Him. To bring us into His family, bring us under God's wing of protection....then do we not owe Him obedience to Heb. 10:25?
The Father and the Son never force themselves on us. This is why God does not command us to come to church every weekend. He wants us to come willingly of our own accord to assemble to celebrate His worthyness, His Holiness, His Lordship, His Kingship, Our Kindship with Him because He died for us so we could be brought into His family and be heirs with Him.
To come in assembly for celebrating the kingdom which is now and looking forward to the kingdom which is to come.
I am not trying to attact you or your reasons for not wanting to be apart of an organized religious house of worship. Believe me I know it is not perfect, I AM NOT perfect but over all what else affords us everything that comes with organized religion...including the good and the bad.
Is the bible study an avoidance to make the committement to a church assembly? Because I do a Bible study and can honestly say that it does not compare to my Sunday worship time and hearing the Word preached, taught and learning from it. It does not hold me responsible for tithing, for teaching our youth, for serving my community. A Bible study group cannot burry me when I die. It cannot wed my children. I cannot baptize my children, family and friends.
Please tell my why you feel like the Bible study group replaces the need to attend 'church'.

jiggyfly
Feb 11th 2008, 12:13 PM
Was Paul not speaking to individual churches; local churches; and individuals within those local churches....
If we are the 'indivisable' body of Chirst, those who's eyes He chose to open and form us into His body, His body of believers by faith in Him. To bring us into His family, bring us under God's wing of protection....then do we not owe Him obedience to Heb. 10:25?

So then to answer my question you most definitely believe one must attend a religious service with all the fixtures like a pastor, pulpit, praise and worship leader and seating arranged to keep everyone facing front. Do you have any scripture to support this type of gathering? How do you summarize the needed requisites for a gathering of the ekklesia to be official?

The Father and the Son never force themselves on us. This is why God does not command us to come to church every weekend. He wants us to come willingly of our own accord to assemble to celebrate His worthyness, His Holiness, His Lordship, His Kingship, Our Kindship with Him because He died for us so we could be brought into His family and be heirs with Him.
To come in assembly for celebrating the kingdom which is now and looking forward to the kingdom which is to come.How many people does it take to make an official assembly of the ekklesia ?

Is the bible study an avoidance to make the committement to a church assembly? Because I do a Bible study and can honestly say that it does not compare to my Sunday worship time and hearing the Word preached, taught and learning from it. It does not hold me responsible for tithing, for teaching our youth, for serving my community.Again here you show that you model your walk after old covenant practice, tithing is not a new covenant practice in the scriptures and the tithe that is taught today by most is not scriptural in the least.

A Bible study group cannot burry me when I die. It cannot wed my children. I cannot baptize my children, family and friends.I have held burial/funeral proceedings and I have married a couple in my house and any believer who has access to enough water to dunk someone under can baptize.

Please tell my why you feel like the Bible study group replaces the need to attend 'church'.I don't even think it needs to be a bible study, I just used that because I figured that was a word you were familiar with and could relate to. I believe that wherever two or three are gathered in the Lord's name and He is in the midst is an official gathering of the ekklesia and I believe that this can and does happen at the wal-mart, the auto parts and the dairy bar.

Realist1981
Feb 11th 2008, 02:09 PM
If meeting in a public church is nessessary I feel for those poor souls
in countries where owning a bible is against the law let alone having the audacity to meet in a public church to come together in worship

jiggyfly
Feb 11th 2008, 02:14 PM
If meeting in a public church is nessessary I feel for those poor souls
in countries where owning a bible is against the law let alone having the audacity to meet in a public church to come together in worship
Very good point.

Realist1981
Feb 11th 2008, 02:15 PM
The Olympics are going to be held in Bejing this year and carrying a bible into the country is illegal and the Bible is on a list of other items which are banned

I wonder is "Church" as we know it in our free society is banned too in china? I wonder do Christians in China have the rights we have in America?

Do they have the right to assemble in public? Or do they have to go underground and meet in secret to commune with other Christians?

RJ Mac
Feb 11th 2008, 03:16 PM
EKKLASIA - the assembly, the called out, one MUST gather with the saints to be saved. You cannot have a relationship with God without a relationship with the brethren.

1Jn.1:7 "If we walk in the light as He Himself is in the light, we have fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses from all sin."

The word CHURCH is not found in the Greek Bible, we use it in our English Bibles for the word 'assembly' but in our minds we say building. Brethren can meet anywhere they want to and worship, there is no number to the size of the fellowship needed for worship. House worship is great, sitting in a circle, interacting with the family of Christ.

I worship in a building because our numbers demand it, our family is large and the building is available. I wish we didn't have pews nor a pulpit but that's okay, those things are not necessary for true worship, for we worship God in Spirit and in Truth.

But it is important to gather together, it is commanded, Heb.10:24,25 we are an assembly of Christians, that's what God wanted us to be. We cannot survive without each other, no man is a Christian to himself. We are all different parts of the one body, how can one part survive without the rest? 1Cor.12:1ff

RJ

servantsheart
Feb 12th 2008, 12:12 AM
R J Mac
Thank you for your post. It blessed me by using (for showing the need) Hebrews 10...
Thanks for taking the time to post.

servantsheart
Feb 12th 2008, 12:18 AM
Realist1981
These are the reasons why we should be more than ready to be apart of a "church" that is organized and meets every Sun.... When the antichrist comes our Bibles will be taken away and we will no longer me able to meet in public.
We are such a blessed nation to be able to worship in the church of our choice.
All Christians (especailly born again ones) need to let their light shine so that other may see and follow.
Treasure your Bible and buy up any that you can...if you don't need them you can always give them away.

jiggyfly
Feb 12th 2008, 11:28 AM
Realist1981
These are the reasons why we should be more than ready to be apart of a "church" that is organized and meets every Sun.... When the antichrist comes our Bibles will be taken away and we will no longer me able to meet in public.
We are such a blessed nation to be able to worship in the church of our choice.
All Christians (especailly born again ones) need to let their light shine so that other may see and follow.
Treasure your Bible and buy up any that you can...if you don't need them you can always give them away.
So there are Christians who are not born- again and yet they have light? Got any scriptures?

menJesus
Feb 12th 2008, 12:24 PM
Isn`t this Scripture about attending church?

Hebrews 10:25
Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

jiggyfly
Feb 12th 2008, 12:46 PM

Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
What is the context of scripture about?

Here is the intro to Hebrews from the NLT.
CONSCIENTIOUS consumers shop for value, the best products for the money. Wise parents desire only the best for their children, nourishing their growing bodies, minds, and spirits. Individuals with integrity seek the best investment of time, talents, and treasures. In every area, to settle for less would be wasteful, foolish, and irresponsible. Yet it is a natural pull to move toward what is convenient and comfortable.
Judaism was not second-rate or easy. Divinely designed, it was the best religion, expressing true worship and devotion to God. The commandments, the rituals, and the prophets described God’s promises and revealed the way to forgiveness and salvation. But Christ came, fulfilling the Law and the Prophets, conquering sin, shattering all barriers to God, freely providing eternal life.
This message was difficult for Jews to accept. Although they had sought the Messiah for centuries, they were entrenched in thinking and worshiping in traditional forms. Following Jesus seemed to repudiate their marvelous heritage and Scriptures. With caution and questions they listened to the gospel, but many rejected it and sought to eliminate this “heresy.” Those who did accept Jesus as the Messiah often found themselves slipping back into familiar routines, trying to live a hybrid faith.
Hebrews is a masterful document written to Jews who were evaluating Jesus or struggling with this new faith. The message of Hebrews is that Jesus is better, Christianity is superior, Christ is supreme and completely sufficient for salvation.
Hebrews begins by emphasizing that the old (Judaism) and the new (Christianity) are both religions revealed by God (1:1-3). In the doctrinal section that follows (1:4–10:18), the writer shows how Jesus is superior to angels (1:4–2:18), superior to their leaders (3:1–4:13), and superior to their priests (4:14–7:28). Christianity surpasses Judaism because it has a better covenant (8:1-13), a better sanctuary (9:1-10), and a more sufficient sacrifice for sins (9:11–10:18).
Having established the superiority of Christianity, the writer moves on to the practical implications of following Christ. The readers are exhorted to hold on to their new faith, encourage each other, and look forward to Christ’s return (10:19-25). They are warned about the consequences of rejecting Christ’s sacrifice (10:26-31) and reminded of the rewards for faithfulness (10:32-39). Then the author explains how to live by faith, giving illustrations of the faithful men and women in Israel’s history (11:1-40) and giving encouragement and exhortation for daily living (12:1-17). This section ends by comparing the old covenant with the new (12:18-29). The writer concludes with moral exhortations (13:1-17), a request for prayer (13:18-19), and a benediction and greetings (13:20-25).
Whatever you are considering as the focus of life, Christ is better. He is the perfect revelation of God, the final and complete sacrifice for sin, the compassionate and understanding mediator, and the only way to eternal life. Read Hebrews and begin to see history and life from God’s perspective. Then give yourself unreservedly and completely to Christ.

Note that at this time the Hebrew christians were under heavy persecutions from both the Jews and the Romans. So does it stand to reason that they gathered together, assembled or met in the same manner that today's christian religious system dictates? Did they meet in the Jewish temple, pagan temples or maybe they had their own big temple with a big sign out front announcing the next meeting and the speaker? I would say it is very doubtful, it was probably nothing like what is projected today.

menJesus
Feb 12th 2008, 01:06 PM
Oh, sorry. I thought this OP was titled "Why Do We Assemble For Church". I must be confused. Maybe I need more coffee. :(

jiggyfly
Feb 12th 2008, 01:17 PM
Oh, sorry. I thought this OP was titled "Why Do We Assemble For Church". I must be confused. Maybe I need more coffee. :(
It is, I was just responding to your question.

Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.And seeing that the need to participate in religious liturgy rests on this one scripture I thought it might help to look at it in context.

Faithwalker
Feb 12th 2008, 01:28 PM
EKKLASIA - the assembly, the called out, one MUST gather with the saints to be saved. You cannot have a relationship with God without a relationship with the brethren.

That my brother is no truth, and I`m going to attempt to show you why.

1Jn.1:7 "If we walk in the light as He Himself is in the light, we have fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses from all sin."

Do you walk in the light RJ?

If so then we have fellowship with each other.

Have we ever assembled together?

Don`t believe I`ve never met you personally.

Our fellowship is in the Spirit.

You are attempting to take what can only be spiritual and make it physical.

The truth is, according to the above verse, if I assembled with a thousand of you...but none of you were walking in the light, then I would have had no fellowship with you in Christ. Do you see the light of truth?

Eph 2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

RJ Mac
Feb 12th 2008, 02:40 PM
No, we have never fellowshipped with with one another. Fellowship = mutual sharing, companionship. The early church was dedicated to fellowship and it is seen in Ac.2:44-46 they were together, all things in common, daily, eating together. Common companionship, caring for individuals.

I believe this is what John is about in 1Jn. some had gone out from them, some didn't share their wealth with the needy, some hated others in the fellowship and let it be known, if we can't get along here we will never get along there.

No I believe the fellowship John is referring to is the mutual sharing and companionship that made the church so different. We have nothing in common, different races, different languages, different social levels, different wants and desires, in fact the only thing we have in common is the love of Christ. Therefore the world is surprised when they come in to our fellowship and see how these different people all get along so well. Jn.13:35 By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.

Now I am not saying the two of us wouldn't enjoy fellowshipping together when we meet and in a sense this is fellowshipping in the sharing of thoughts but fellowship is a getting together. I fellowship with Christ when I study the Bible and fellowship with the Spirit in my prayer life.

John wants us to fellowship, we need to be getting together with the brethren of our area, at least in worship, but fellowship needs to be more than just Sunday AM, it needs to be a mutual sharing during the week.

RJ

Faithwalker
Feb 12th 2008, 03:14 PM
EKKLASIA - the assembly, the called out, one MUST gather with the saints to be saved

Ac.2:44-46 they were together, all things in common, daily, eating together. Common companionship, caring for individuals.

I agree with the verse...and the gathering together of the ekklasia is wonderful, and certainly not something to be shunned. Tho I still submit there can be no fellowship if we are not both walking in the light, no matter how often we meet, or what else we have in common.

But you have taken what is good and edifying, and made it a salvation issue. And if I, or you, or others, find no fellowship with the ekklasia where we live, (mind you i`m not talking about the merely religious) ...what then?

RJ Mac
Feb 12th 2008, 03:43 PM
I believe we are looking at this from different perspectives. I am talking about a fellowship of Christians, is when those who 'walk in the light' gather together. I love every time I get together with the brethren, at worship times, at gatherings, at outings, there is no finer group of people and the conversations can be very fulfilling.

What you are saying is you have not found that fellowship in your area, then keep searching or start your own. If what you find is cold, clinical and unresponsive, then challenge them, question their teachings and if you can't move them, move yourself, move on. The Lord's assembly is warm, friendly and inviting, if not then something is wrong with it and if they won't correct the wrong, shake the dust, start your own if need be. But that is easier said than done.

Salvation issue? When you come into the family of God, it is a natural response to desire to be with the family as much as you can. It's like embers in a fire, collectively they all glow, but by themselves they quickly die out. I cannot be what I need to be if I suddenly lost a few parts of my body. We are all members of His body and everyone is vital to play a role.

I feel for your thoughts because living in Canada its hard to find warm fellowships and I know of some who had to start their own. But that doesn't stop what John is saying "if we are walking in the light we have fellowship with one another". May this fact just cause you to search harder, knowing there is a fellowship out there and may it not discourage you in any way.

RJ

David Taylor
Feb 12th 2008, 04:20 PM
servantsheart, thanks for switching to a more easily readable font.

servantsheart
Feb 13th 2008, 03:15 AM
RJ Mac~~this was a message from your heart. A heart where the Holy Spirit lives in you. Your love for God and your fellow believers shines through to everyone reading this. You are highly favored...maybe to the prophetic. May God continue to bless you with His presence infilling you with His wisdom, His mercy and grace. May He continue to bless the words you speak when you speak of HIM...the great I AM.
It is a great blessing to be born again and to 'want' to be in His presence in assembly with like minded believers. Iron sharpens iron...
I never want to be without Christ in my heart or to loose the nearnest of Him when He shares His secrets with me. As I am sure He shares with you also.
But sadness befalls me when I think of my sister who does not know our Lord ...nothing anywhere near the depth to which I sence your heart knows Him.
Oh, that one day she would sit next to me in church as a lover of Christ Jesus.
Thank you for your post.

servantsheart
Feb 13th 2008, 03:18 AM
David Taylor~~~~Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will try to be more careful...

servantsheart
Feb 13th 2008, 03:39 AM
jiggyfly~~~in reply to light of Christ and 'Bible study'
I guess I believe that anyone who is trying to follow Christ but has not yet been born again, has some form of Christ' light shinning in them or other wise they would not be seeking to know more. They would not know the painful urgency to find what is lacking in their heart and in their entire life.
I speak from a heart that has been there.
On your position that you only mentioned 'Bible study' becasue you thought it was a word I might be familiar with....your heart (if you are born again) should tell you not to speak down to fellow believers in such rude fashion. No matter what you think of me I will be praying for you.

jiggyfly
Feb 13th 2008, 03:40 AM

So then was John hallucinating on Patmos? How about Paul in Arabia? Since there were no brethren to fellowship with they could not fellowship with God?

jiggyfly
Feb 13th 2008, 03:47 AM
jiggyfly~~~in reply to light of Christ and 'Bible study'
I guess I believe that anyone who is trying to follow Christ but has not yet been born again, has some form of Christ' light shinning in them or other wise they would not be seeking to know more. They would not know the painful urgency to find what is lacking in their heart and in their entire life.
I speak from a heart that has been there.
On your position that you only mentioned 'Bible study' becasue you thought it was a word I might be familiar with....your heart (if you are born again) should tell you not to speak down to fellow believers in such rude fashion. No matter what you think of me I will be praying for you.

Do you have some scripture to support that those who are not born- again have some of Christ's light in them?

As for the second part I was not speaking down , like I said I was just trying to communicate in a fashion that I thought you could relate to. Thank you for the prayers.

servantsheart
Feb 13th 2008, 07:59 AM
jiggyfly
I left you a post in the other thread. I was saying I am sorry I got too emotional in my feelings over this issue. I will have to watch this in the furture. But may I extend a link of friendship and I hope you won't feel like you have to avoid any forums where you see me.
Again, I am sorry.

RJ Mac
Feb 13th 2008, 05:53 PM
Jigfly - you can have fellowship with God anytime. The point is to have fellowship with the brethren is vital to your spiritual health. God knows your heart whether your trying to fellowship with the brethren or your not. We are a family of believers, God is our Father, you would think that to be with the brethren is a great desire for everyone. John wants us to see that and be that, love your brothers and sisters, Jesus commands it. How can you love someone if you don't spend time with them or want to spend time with them?

As for John being imprisoned, do you think God knows he can't be with those he loves? Do you not think John has a fellowship going on the Island of Patmos already? Paul had converted a number of Caesars guards as recorded in Php.1:12,13; You think Paul spent 3 years in Arabia and had not shared the gospel with anyone. He had not already started a church there?

Numbers don't matter, but the desire does, to be with the brethren, to worship together, to be with God's family, after all we are going to be together for eternity, why not get use to it?

I am not saying you cannot fellowship God when your alone but I am saying if it is your desire to remain alone and forsake the fellowship then you will not survive as a Christian because you do not love. Love is all about relationships. Love is seeking the best for another expecting nothing in return. How can you love your brother if your not willing to get to know your brother? I think our fellowship has a big work in this area of loving each other.

We understand faith, we know the scriptures, we study, we teach. We understand hope, we do things the godly way, we practice righteousness. But do we understand love? Here is where churches struggle the most. For without love we are a noisy cymbal, we are nothing without love, have all faith, do all the righteous deeds but if love is not there I am nothing, I am lost. A terrible paraphrase of 1Cor.13:1-3; God is Love!

RJ

Teke
Feb 13th 2008, 07:20 PM
Note that at this time the Hebrew christians were under heavy persecutions from both the Jews and the Romans. So does it stand to reason that they gathered together, assembled or met in the same manner that today's christian religious system dictates? Did they meet in the Jewish temple, pagan temples or maybe they had their own big temple with a big sign out front announcing the next meeting and the speaker? I would say it is very doubtful, it was probably nothing like what is projected today.

Hey Jiggy, sounds like you have a philosophy from what you've "seen"("projected").

Christianity is presented in many ways depending on the culture or society it is presented within.

In the US there is a spirit of nihilism.

(in the domain of ethics, nihilist or nihilistic is often used as a derogatory term referring to a complete rejection of all systems of authority, morality, and normativity, or one who purportedly makes such a rejection. Either through the rejection of previously accepted bases of belief or through extreme relativism or skepticism, the moral nihilist is construed as one who believes that none of these claims to power are valid.)

And there is also a spirit of totalitarianism.

Not only must one conform, but one’s apparent attitude in the midst of external compliance has to be constantly evaluated.

Is this what you've seen "projected"?

servantsheart
Feb 16th 2008, 08:38 PM
I talked with my daughter who is taking theology classes right now and this very subject was discussed in one of her classes last week.
The idea of belonging to a church is assumed in the N.T. People were identified and connected with a local church as evident throughout the N.T. (ie: Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, Galations, etc). The Bible has no illustration of a believer who was not connected to a fellowship nor does it give any illustration of believers who were un-baptized. (The only place baptism was deferred was the case of the thief on the cross and that deals more with a heart-attitude knowing if he could've been baptized, he would have.) Just as spirit baptism identifies us in Christ's body in death, burial, and resurrection, so water baptism identifies us with the local body, which is a N.T. church.
Just wanted to share. You use it as you see fit. Thanks.

ravi4u2
Feb 17th 2008, 11:11 PM
so water baptism identifies us with the local body, which is a N.T. church.
Just wanted to share. You use it as you see fit. Thanks.Now, is that just your opinion or do you have some scripture reference for that one?

servantsheart
Feb 18th 2008, 12:24 AM
Sorry I if I mislead you that this was of my opinion. I thought I said that this was a teachng and discussion that went on within my daughters theology class last week.
She did not email me more than this with any scripture to back it. I guess I should not have posted it without asking her for the scripture that went with it. I am sorry. I was not trying to start anything. I guess I was just saying it was being discussed this way in her class.

Joyfilled
Feb 18th 2008, 01:47 PM

The problem is that there is so much bickering, quarreling, back-biting, gossip and false teaching in every church my husband and I have attended, that right now we want to live in peace and are content to be at home reading the bible everyday. Perhaps someday when we're ready to be around mudslinging and dissention, we'll go back to church.

RJ Mac
Feb 18th 2008, 02:10 PM
Joyfilled - I guess it didn't cross your mind to think that where you attend isn't the body of Christ? If such behavior is true then why not find a true fellowship of God's children? Why should the behaviors of a few destroy the greatest institution the world has ever know? When you told the elders what you saw did they reply or do anything?

RJ

Joyfilled
Feb 18th 2008, 02:16 PM
Joyfilled - I guess it didn't cross your mind to think that where you attend isn't the body of Christ? If such behavior is true then why not find a true fellowship of God's children? Why should the behaviors of a few destroy the greatest institution the world has ever know? When you told the elders what you saw did they reply or do anything?

RJ

You have no idea what enters my mind! Of course it entered my mind which is why we have changed churches so often! Since every single church we have attended including: the Lutheran, Evangelical, pentecostal, Catholic, Presberterian and just about every denomination does the same thing, then it's the churches that are in a bad state today just as Paul predicted in 2 Timothy 4:3. Human nature never changes. There will always be division in the church as Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians 11;19. ;)

Yes, as a matter of fact, I just went to the 3rd step in Matthew 18:15-17 about one of the pastors at our last church because he rejected the 1st 2 steps, and he finally apologized for his sin so that my complaint wouldn't reach the elder board. So again, you are not qualified to know what happens in my life.

Our fellowship is to be discerning enough to seek out the true born again Christians from the wolves in sheep's clothing and have fellowship with the former. But because Jesus says we will be few, then yes indeed it's hard in today's society to have fellowship with true believers.

servantsheart
Feb 18th 2008, 03:35 PM
Hi Joyfilled, I am sorry you are having such a hard time locating a church that will meet all of your needs. I attend a Bible lead or Rhyma church. I had to move from one because of false doctrine/self pride,ego,controlling,money hungry pastor. He was really a sheep in wolfs clothing.
I never was taken to church as a child and grew up and married a Catholic and became a convert. Praise the Lord he moved me out and my children and I are all born again Christians.
There is always going to be those within a church that you don't get along with. Those who try to take everything over. Those who are not welcoming to new members, etc.
But they be part of a test God wants you to go through to show a Christian walk to them so they can change and become better at serving in church and fellowshiping with others.
We must look for sound doctrin being taught but from there the Holy Spirit needs to lead us. We need God to tell us which church is best suited to us. I prayed over a list of churchs that I had information about from the internet (what they believed in), and God lead me through them until I found two that I felt good about. I felt like he let me make the final decision.
It is not perfect but there diffently is sound doctrin, missionary work is very strong with members serving along with the ones we support. They reach out to the community in big ways, and to the children and youth. They have organized Bible study. This church is a small community church and one or two seem a little like they think you might take over their job so they stand off a little. Others that are secure in who they are within the church and with Christ don't seem worried. I don't go in looking for jobs to take over either!
But the saying, "We grow where we are planted" (provided God lead you) then we need to lead him continue to lead us within that church. Asking Him where we are best at serving and knowing through the Holy Spirit what are gifts are. Then we are suppose to grow in them.
The main thing is to be sure you are born of the blood and water, born again. Then you won't be trying religious services that are not of God but man created.
I truly pray that you find God's leading in this and get yourselves established in Christ Jesus and then a church that you can serve in....not find fault therein but get in and make a difference for Christ.
My God's widsom be in you both during this search.

ravi4u2
Feb 18th 2008, 08:25 PM
The problem is that there is so much bickering, quarreling, back-biting, gossip and false teaching in every church my husband and I have attended, that right now we want to live in peace and are content to be at home reading the bible everyday. Perhaps someday when we're ready to be around mudslinging and dissention, we'll go back to church.More than 'going' to church, we all need to start 'being' the Church. Our fellowship is first with the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit and then to those that God causes us to walk alongside. My two cents, just seek out friends and friends of friends.

servantsheart
Feb 19th 2008, 03:28 AM
More than 'going' to church, we all need to start 'being' the Church. Our fellowship is first with the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit and then to those that God causes us to walk alongside. My two cents, just seek out friends and friends of friends.
If we only walk with friends then how will be reach those who are really the unsaved? Those who may not have ever heard the gospel message preached?
God tells us to go out into the 'whole' world. That to me does not sound like staying within a tight knit group that is safe.

ravi4u2
Feb 19th 2008, 05:14 AM
If we only walk with friends then how will be reach those who are really the unsaved? Those who may not have ever heard the gospel message preached?
God tells us to go out into the 'whole' world. That to me does not sound like staying within a tight knit group that is safe.Jesus was a friend of tax collectors and sinners. On the contrary, to being 'safe', it is much more radical to be walking with friends and friends of friends in reaching 'my world', then to be in the safety or exclusivity of the organization.

RJ Mac
Feb 19th 2008, 01:31 PM
Joyfilled - I'm sure your doing what you know is right. I found a non-denominational congregation to worship with and enjoy it immensely. I don't say this to make you jealous, I say it to encourage you to know there are fellowships out there but it must get frustrating. Sounds like your going to have to start your own fellowship. I pray God opens doors soon for you both.

RJ

Joyfilled
Feb 19th 2008, 02:02 PM
Joyfilled - I'm sure your doing what you know is right. I found a non-denominational congregation to worship with and enjoy it immensely. I don't say this to make you jealous, I say it to encourage you to know there are fellowships out there but it must get frustrating. Sounds like your going to have to start your own fellowship. I pray God opens doors soon for you both.

RJ

I'm glad you enjoy it and would want anyone to find a church home. So jealousy doesn't enter the picture when we love our brothers and sisters. :) But I also felt that way for several years at our last church until I started volunteering in the office and found out what was really going on underneath the surface. I think we need to be discerning and realize that Satan is alive and well in our churches. If we don't develop that discernment, then we won't have the power to resist him. ;)