PDA

View Full Version : What powers do angels have?

Naphal
Feb 17th 2008, 11:14 PM
I hear various powers attributed to angels all the time but I'd like to conduct a bible study documenting them.

Scripture verses to support whatever power is being demonstrated by an angel please.

Diggindeeper
Feb 17th 2008, 11:21 PM
Boy, you want a long thread, don't you? ;)

I'll be back with scripture references, my friend! There is just so, SO much that angels do, and many scriptures to show they indeed destroy, foretell or prophesy, preach the gospel, alert, lead folks out of harm's way, carry out the judgments of God, teach (as with Daniel), and probably more that I can't think of right now.

Going to get references now...:wave:

Naphal
Feb 17th 2008, 11:25 PM
Ok, but keep in mind "super powers" not regular stuff like prophesying and taking care of Gods will etc.

I mean flying, walking through walls, shooting fire, things like that.

Boy, you want a long thread, don't you? ;)

I'll be back with scripture references, my friend! There is just so, SO much that angels do, and many scriptures to show they indeed destroy, foretell or prophesy, preach the gospel, alert, lead folks out of harm's way, carry out the judgments of God, teach (as with Daniel), and probably more that I can't think of right now.

Going to get references now...:wave:

cchandrus
Feb 17th 2008, 11:34 PM
What powers do angels have?

Mal 2:7 For the priest’s lips should keep knowledge, and they should seek
the law at his mouth: for he is the messenger of the LORD of
hosts.

Hag 1:13 Then spake Haggai the LORD’s messenger in the LORD’s message
unto the people, saying, I am with you, saith the LORD.

Diggindeeper
Feb 17th 2008, 11:35 PM
Oh...I thought you meant what they really do, not some of the imaginary things from comic books or fiction or wishful thinking. :dunno:

I'd only have scripture references. :(

RogerW
Feb 17th 2008, 11:42 PM
I hear various powers attributed to angels all the time but I'd like to conduct a bible study documenting them.

Scripture verses to support whatever power is being demonstrated by an angel please.

Greetings Naphal,

You probably already know this, but just in case, angels is also translated messenger. These messengers can be either spiritual messengers; angels, or human messengers sent by God. Trying to determine, through context of the passage whether it is a spirit messenger or human messenger might be helpful. I'll show you a confusing passage to show you what I mean.

Heb 13:2 Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels [a messenger] unawares.

Does it make more sense to translate the above passage angel messenger or human messenger? When we entertain guests are they humans or angels?

Christ tells His people to extend hospitability, to be friendly, cordial, and gracious, sharing the comforts and provisions of our homes generously. For in doing this we may be showing those who have yet come to know the Lord, the grace and love of Christ living through us. Our Lord says that when we do this to the least of these My brethren, ye have done it unto Me.

Mt 25:33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
Mt 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
Mt 25:35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Mt 25:36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
Mt 25:37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
Mt 25:38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
Mt 25:39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
Mt 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Blessings,
RW

Naphal
Feb 17th 2008, 11:45 PM
Mal 2:7 For the priestís lips should keep knowledge, and they should seek
the law at his mouth: for he is the messenger of the LORD of
hosts.

Hag 1:13 Then spake Haggai the LORDís messenger in the LORDís message
unto the people, saying, I am with you, saith the LORD.

Can you also say what powers you think are here?

Naphal
Feb 17th 2008, 11:46 PM
Oh...I thought you meant what they really do, not some of the imaginary things from comic books or fiction or wishful thinking. :dunno:

I'd only have scripture references. :(

Thats exactly what I want. I just don't need scripture showing an angel talking or eating...thats not anything special.

cchandrus
Heb 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for
the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honor; that he by
the grace of God should taste death for every man.

RogerW

Now if you want to see real Spiritual power demonstrated in Scripture you might look up references to the Angel of the Lord.

Blessings,
RW

Naphal
Feb 17th 2008, 11:47 PM
I don't want discussion about who is or isn't an angel. I just want scriptures showing what an angel can do that is not something that can normally be done.

Greetings Naphal,

You probably already know this, but just in case, angels is also translated messenger. These messengers can be either spiritual messengers; angels, or human messengers sent by God. Trying to determine, through context of the passage whether it is a spirit messenger or human messenger might be helpful. I'll show you a confusing passage to show you what I mean.

Heb 13:2 Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels [a messenger] unawares.

Does it make more sense to translate the above passage angel messenger or human messenger? When we entertain guests are they humans or angels?

Christ tells His people to extend hospitability, to be friendly, cordial, and gracious, sharing the comforts and provisions of our homes generously. For in doing this we may be showing those who have yet come to know the Lord, the grace and love of Christ living through us. Our Lord says that when we do this to the least of these My brethren, ye have done it unto Me.

Mt 25:33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
Mt 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
Mt 25:35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Mt 25:36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
Mt 25:37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
Mt 25:38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
Mt 25:39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
Mt 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Blessings,
RW

Diggindeeper
Feb 18th 2008, 12:22 AM
In this account, we see that 2 angels went to Sodom and went straight to Lot, to who they were sent.
So they KNEW who Lot was, and never had to ask where to find him. Also, he KNEW something was different about these two and he bowed to them.
Genesis 10:1-5
1 And there came two angels to Sodom at even; and Lot sat in the gate of Sodom: and Lot seeing them rose up to meet them; and he bowed himself with his face toward the ground;

2 And he said, Behold now, my lords, turn in, I pray you, into your servant's house, and tarry all night, and wash your feet, and ye shall rise up early, and go on your ways. And they said, Nay; but we will abide in the street all night.

But Lot kept insisting, and they finally came into his home--by the door apparently. (Nothing earth-shattering--yet!)
3 And he pressed upon them greatly; and they turned in unto him, and entered into his house; and he made them a feast, and did bake unleavened bread, and they did eat.

But before they could lie down for the night, the evil men surrounded Lot's house and demanded that he send the men out. Apparently, they saw something different about these men also!
4 But before they lay down, the men of the city, even the men of Sodom, compassed the house round, both old and young, all the people from every quarter:

5 And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.

Lot went out and tried reasoning with the men of the city, but they threatened him, and threatened to tear the door down! But look what the angels did....
10 But the men put forth their hand, and pulled Lot into the house to them, and shut to the door.

11 And they smote the men that were at the door of the house with blindness, both small and great: so that they wearied themselves to find the door.
They made all the men blind! Struck them with blindness!

12 And the men said unto Lot, Hast thou here any besides? son in law, and thy sons, and thy daughters, and whatsoever thou hast in the city, bring them out of this place: (They were saying, "Hurry and gather your family and get out of here--FAST!)

And they told Lot what they were sent there to do.....
13 For we will destroy this place, because the cry of them is waxen great before the face of the LORD; and the LORD hath sent us to destroy it.
The two angels were sent to DESTROY the cities of Sodom as well as the twin wicked city of Gomorrah.

14 And Lot went out, and spake unto his sons in law, which married his daughters, and said, Up, get you out of this place; for the LORD will destroy this city. But he seemed as one that mocked unto his sons in law.

15 And when the morning arose, then the angels hastened Lot, saying, Arise, take thy wife, and thy two daughters, which are here; lest thou be consumed in the iniquity of the city.
But Lot could not convince anyone to leave.

So the angels grabbed their hands and BROUGHT them out of the wicked city! I can't honestly say HOW they were taken out, but it does NOT say they ran with them, or took them out in a chariot...so I assume they just BROUGHT them out. Call it flying or whatever we please. We only know they BROUGHT Lot and his family our of Sodom.
16 And while he lingered, the men laid hold upon his hand, and upon the hand of his wife, and upon the hand of his two daughters; the LORD being merciful unto him: and they brought him forth, and set him without the city.

So here we see angels capable of bringing poeple out of a certain place And bringing them out FAST.

And where they blinded a whole bunch of men! Left them to grope about in darkness.

And also, the two cities were destroyed, as they had predicted.

None of us could do these things.

Naphal
Feb 18th 2008, 03:28 AM
11 And they smote the men that were at the door of the house with blindness, both small and great: so that they wearied themselves to find the door.
They made all the men blind! Struck them with blindness!

Cool, our first example of a "super power"....angels or at least these angels have the power to blind people.

And they told Lot what they were sent there to do.....
13 For we will destroy this place, because the cry of them is waxen great before the face of the LORD; and the LORD hath sent us to destroy it.
The two angels were sent to DESTROY the cities of Sodom as well as the twin wicked city of Gomorrah.

Ok, so how did they destroy the cities? What powers did they use?

15 And when the morning arose, then the angels hastened Lot, saying, Arise, take thy wife, and thy two daughters, which are here; lest thou be consumed in the iniquity of the city.
But Lot could not convince anyone to leave.

So the angels grabbed their hands and BROUGHT them out of the wicked city! I can't honestly say HOW they were taken out, but it does NOT say they ran with them, or took them out in a chariot...so I assume they just BROUGHT them out. Call it flying or whatever we please. We only know they BROUGHT Lot and his family our of Sodom.

Speculation is ok I guess but for our purposes in this thread we need clear proof. :)

Anything else?

threebigrocks
Feb 18th 2008, 03:44 AM
Nobody, not even angels, act on anything but the power they are given from God. The one time an angel tried to act on his own - it didn't go so well.

Diggindeeper
Feb 18th 2008, 05:41 AM
Here's another one, from the New Testament:

Acts 5:
15 Insomuch that they brought forth the sick into the streets, and laid them on beds and couches, that at the least the shadow of Peter passing by might overshadow some of them.

16 There came also a multitude out of the cities round about unto Jerusalem, bringing sick folks, and them which were vexed with unclean spirits: and they were healed every one.

17 Then the high priest rose up, and all they that were with him, (which is the sect of the Sadducees,) and were filled with indignation,

18 And laid their hands on the apostles, and put them in the common prison.

19 But the angel of the Lord by night opened the prison doors, and brought them forth, and said,

20 Go, stand and speak in the temple to the people all the words of this life.

21 And when they heard that, they entered into the temple early in the morning, and taught. But the high priest came, and they that were with him, and called the council together, and all the senate of the children of Israel, and sent to the prison to have them brought.

22 But when the officers came, and found them not in the prison, they returned and told,

23 Saying, The prison truly found we shut with all safety, and the keepers standing without before the doors: but when we had opened, we found no man within.

The angel got in--with the doors locked--and got them out--with the doors still locked--and the "keepers" were still standing guard, and the officers had to go past the "keepers" or those guarding the doors of the prison...and unlocked the doors, but the apostles were gone!

Diggindeeper
Feb 18th 2008, 05:47 AM
Another one:

Acts 12:5-10
5 Peter therefore was kept in prison: but prayer was made without ceasing of the church unto God for him.

6 And when Herod would have brought him forth, the same night Peter was sleeping between two soldiers, bound with two chains: and the keepers before the door kept the prison.

7 And, behold, the angel of the Lord came upon him, and a light shined in the prison: and he smote Peter on the side, and raised him up, saying, Arise up quickly. And his chains fell off from his hands.

8 And the angel said unto him, Gird thyself, and bind on thy sandals. And so he did. And he saith unto him, Cast thy garment about thee, and follow me.

9 And he went out, and followed him; and wist not that it was true which was done by the angel; but thought he saw a vision.

10 When they were past the first and the second ward, they came unto the iron gate that leadeth unto the city; which opened to them of his own accord: and they went out, and passed on through one street; and forthwith the angel departed from him.

Naphal
Feb 18th 2008, 06:21 AM
Nobody, not even angels, act on anything but the power they are given from God. The one time an angel tried to act on his own - it didn't go so well.

That's not the purpose of the thread. We are looking for examples of what powers angels have/use in scripture. Please stay on topic.

Naphal
Feb 18th 2008, 06:26 AM
The angel got in--with the doors locked--and got them out--with the doors still locked--and the "keepers" were still standing guard, and the officers had to go past the "keepers" or those guarding the doors of the prison...and unlocked the doors, but the apostles were gone!

Nice one. The locks were still locked and the guards were still in place yet everyone was gone.

Naphal
Feb 18th 2008, 06:29 AM
Another one:

Acts 12:5-10
5 Peter therefore was kept in prison: but prayer was made without ceasing of the church unto God for him.

6 And when Herod would have brought him forth, the same night Peter was sleeping between two soldiers, bound with two chains: and the keepers before the door kept the prison.

7 And, behold, the angel of the Lord came upon him, and a light shined in the prison: and he smote Peter on the side, and raised him up, saying, Arise up quickly. And his chains fell off from his hands.

8 And the angel said unto him, Gird thyself, and bind on thy sandals. And so he did. And he saith unto him, Cast thy garment about thee, and follow me.

9 And he went out, and followed him; and wist not that it was true which was done by the angel; but thought he saw a vision.

10 When they were past the first and the second ward, they came unto the iron gate that leadeth unto the city; which opened to them of his own accord: and they went out, and passed on through one street; and forthwith the angel departed from him.

Thanks for this one also.

How about flying? Any angels flying? I'd prefer non-visions as they can be discounted as not being literal. Can angels literally fly?

Diggindeeper
Feb 18th 2008, 06:38 AM
How about this?
Revelation 14:6
6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,

John saw the angel flying and preaching the everlasting gospel.

Although, nowhere in the Bible does it say that angels have wings, and what is more shocking...they are never women! Throughout the Bible, they are men!

Naphal
Feb 18th 2008, 06:39 AM
Revelation 8:13 And I beheld, and heard an angel flying through the midst of heaven, saying with a loud voice, Woe, woe, woe, to the inhabiters of the earth by reason of the other voices of the trumpet of the three angels, which are yet to sound!

There is this of course but is it ok to use even though it's part of a vision?

Naphal
Feb 18th 2008, 06:41 AM
How about this?
Revelation 14:6
6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,

John saw the angel flying and preaching the everlasting gospel.

Although, nowhere in the Bible does it say that angels have wings, and what is more shocking...they are never women! Throughout the Bible, they are men!

Wow, we posted nearly the same time.

Yes, I know of no angel that has wings. I think a Cherub might but that is a bit different than an angel hence the special name.