PDA

View Full Version : NIC Bible Study Mark Week 18

Tanya~
Feb 18th 2008, 05:06 PM
Mark 14:22-31 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark%2014:22-31;&version=50;)

And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to them and said, "Take, eat; this is My body."

23 Then He took the cup, and when He had given thanks He gave it to them, and they all drank from it. 24 And He said to them, "This is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many. 25 Assuredly, I say to you, I will no longer drink of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God."

26 And when they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.

27 Then Jesus said to them, "All of you will be made to stumble because of Me this night, for it is written:

'I will strike the Shepherd,
And the sheep will be scattered.'

28 "But after I have been raised, I will go before you to Galilee."

29 Peter said to Him, "Even if all are made to stumble, yet I will not be."

30 Jesus said to him, "Assuredly, I say to you that today, even this night, before the rooster crows twice, you will deny Me three times."

31 But he spoke more vehemently, "If I have to die with You, I will not deny You!"

And they all said likewise.
NKJV

~~ Question numbers below correspond to verse numbers above ~~

22-25.
a. To set the scene, describe where Jesus and the 12 were, and when this was happening (See Mark 14:12-15 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark%2014:12-15;&version=50;)).
b. What were they doing?
c. Record Jesus’ actions and statements.
d. What prediction does Jesus make?
e. Compare verse 25 with Matthew 26:29 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew%2026:29;&version=50;). In what way can this be understood as a promise?

26. What did they do after this?

a. Note Jesus’ predictions about Himself and His disciples.
b. What does Jesus point to, which both confirms and forms the basis for His prediction? (See also Zech 13:7 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Zech%2013:7;&version=50;))

28. What does Jesus further predict? How should this have given them encouragement and comfort?

29. What does Peter assert about Himself?

30. What specific prediction does Jesus make about Peter?

a. Note Peter’s response to Jesus, and the response of all the others.

What does this tell us about Peter’s and the other disciples’ understanding/acceptance of what Jesus was really saying?

tango
Feb 18th 2008, 09:22 PM
Jesus and the disciples were sitting eating, in the upstairs room of the man whose servant was carrying the water jug.

An interesting point my study notes make which I overlooked last time around was that it was very unusual to see a man with a water jug - back in the day this was a woman's work.

Jesus blessed the bread and broke it. He gave it to the disciples and told them to eat it, saying it was his body. Then he blessed the cup, and they all drank from it. Jesus told them that it was his blood, the blood of the new covenant, for the forgiveness of sins.

Jesus then said he would not drink the wine again until he drank it in God's kingdom. Matthew's gospel says much the same thing, but crucially adds "with you" (emphasis mine)

Mat 26:29 But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father's kingdom."

This can be seen as a promise because Jesus is clearly saying he will drink the wine with us, his people, in God's kingdom. The fact that he mentioned "until that day" means that such a day will come.

After they had eaten they sang a hymn and went to the Mount of Olives. The English sounds a bit mundane, but the Greek suggests something more dynamic - they had sung praise to God (which presumably could mean one or many songs)

Jesus warned them that they would all stumble because of him. Zechariah had prophesied "Strike the Shepherd, And the sheep will be scattered". Jesus (the shepherd) was about to be struck and the sheep (his followers, the disciples) would scatter. He went on to say that he would be raised and go to Galilee ahead of them.

Peter refused to accept this, and insisted that even if all the others stumbled he would not. Jesus replied that before the cock crowed Peter would deny Jesus three times. Peter refused to accept it, insisting that he would die with Jesus before denying him. The others agreed with Peter, they all refused to accept that they would deny Jesus.

The disciples unwillingness to accept what Jesus was telling them indicates that they really didn't understand the significance of what was about to happen. Everything Jesus had said to date had come to pass but they had always refused to accept that they would, that they could, abandon him.

But so much of what Jesus did was in fulfilment of prophecy. Isaiah prophesied that Jesus would be abandoned:

Isa 53:3 He is despised and rejected by men, A Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief. And we hid, as it were, our faces from Him; He was despised, and we did not esteem Him.

He was about to be rejected by men, the men who had followed him for so long. Had they not abandoned him (being scattered like sheep) then the prophecies of Zechariah and Isaiah would not be fulfilled.

Phroggie
Feb 18th 2008, 10:24 PM
22-25. Today's passage is set on the evening of the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread. Jesus and the twelve are eating the Passover meal together.

c. As they were eating Jesus took some bread and, after blessing it, distributed it to each of them saying, 'Take it; this is my body.'

Jesus then took the cup, gave thanks, and again gave it to each in turn to drink from. He said, 'This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many.'

Reading these verses helps me to see what a beautiful and special act Communion actually is. I remember the first time I took Communion after becoming a Christian, I was filled with an overwhelming feeling of thankfulness. 'Thank You' prayers kept flowing in my thoughts as though the flood gates had been opened!

d. He tells them, 'I tell you the truth, I will not drink again of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it anew in the kingdom of God.'

e. Matthew 26:29 - Jesus is reassuring the disciples that they will all be together again in the kingdom of God.

26. After singing a hymn, the group goes to the Mount of Olives.

27. a. Jesus predicts that each of the disciples will 'run away and leave me' (GNB). He affirms this with a quote from Scripture, 'I will strike the Shepherd and the sheep will be scattered.'

28. Jesus further predicts His resurrection saying, 'But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee.'

29. Peter is adamant that although the others may abandon Jesus, he will not.

30. Jesus tells Peter (even though Peter doesn't want to hear it) that on that very night, before the rooster crows twice, that he WILL deny Him three times.

31. Peter responds (as do the other disciples) that even if he has to die with Jesus, he will NEVER disown Him.

Thinking about this last question, I'm still not sure that Peter and the other disciples REALLY understand what is about to happen to Jesus. Or that they understand what a struggle being faithful to the Lord is going to be.

Kingsdaughter
Feb 19th 2008, 06:59 AM
22-25. Jesus and the 12 are in that large upper room that was furnished and prepared. They are eating the Passover. Jesus took the bread, blessed it and broke it. He gave it to them and said,' Take, eat; this is My body.' He then took the cup, gave thanks, and gave it to them. They all drank from it. Jesus said,' This is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many.' He tells them that He will no longer drink of the fruit of the vine until that day when He will drink it new in the kingdom of God.

This is a promise to them that they will see Him again and they will be with Him in the Kingdom of our Father. What an awesome promise from our Lord to His disciples, not only will the wine be new, but everything will be new, even our bodies. This gives them and us great hope in the Lord that one day we will be made new and we will live forever with our Lord in His kingdom.

26. They sang a hymn( I wish I new what song they sang) Then they went out to the Mount of Olives.

27. Jesus says that they will all be made to stumble, that night because of Him. He points to what is written in Zech 13:7, which confirms what He is saying to them.

28. Jesus says that after He is raised. This should give them comfort and encouragement to know that He will be raised from the dead. He also tells them that He will go before them to Galilee, so not only will He be raised even though He dies, but He will be here on earth with them, going before them to Galilee.

29. Peter tells Jesus that he will not be made to stumble.

30. Jesus responds by telling Peter that, that night, before the rooster crows twice, he will deny Him three times.

31. Peter says," If I have to die with You, I will not deny You." The others responded likewise.

The disciples did not accept what Jesus told them about what they were going to do that night. He was not testing them. He was telling them what they were going to do. Of coarse, being with Jesus all this time, they're reaction to what He said was natural, but no matter how much they said it would not be so, what Jesus said was and is always true.

Kingsdaughter
Feb 19th 2008, 07:08 AM
An interesting point my study notes make which I overlooked last time around was that it was very unusual to see a man with a water jug - back in the day this was a woman's work.

That is an interesting point brother, I wonder why it was a man? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Kingsdaughter
Feb 19th 2008, 07:14 AM
Reading these verses helps me to see what a beautiful and special act Communion actually is. I remember the first time I took Communion after becoming a Christian, I was filled with an overwhelming feeling of thankfulness. 'Thank You' prayers kept flowing in my thoughts as though the flood gates had been opened!

:cry:This made me cry Phrog. I too was overwelmed the first time I took Communion as a BELIEVER, I took it before as a non-believer(forgive me Lord:() and it was just a religious act that I would do because I thought it was right, but I didn't understand what I was really doing, until I became a believer and this passage reminds me how wonderful and awesome it is to know Him personally and BELONG to Him! Amen!

tango
Feb 19th 2008, 07:21 AM
That is an interesting point brother, I wonder why it was a man? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'd guess because the sign needed to be something unusual. Had the disciples been looking for a woman carrying a water jug there would have been scope for them to follow the wrong one. A man carrying a water jug was something they would notice immediately.

Kingsdaughter
Feb 19th 2008, 07:32 AM
I'd guess because the sign needed to be something unusual. Had the disciples been looking for a woman carrying a water jug there would have been scope for them to follow the wrong one. A man carrying a water jug was something they would notice immediately.

That makes sense, thanks Tango!

Phroggie
Feb 19th 2008, 09:48 AM
:cry:This made me cry Phrog. I too was overwelmed the first time I took Communion as a BELIEVER, I took it before as a non-believer(forgive me Lord:() and it was just a religious act that I would do because I thought it was right, but I didn't understand what I was really doing, until I became a believer and this passage reminds me how wonderful and awesome it is to know Him personally and BELONG to Him! Amen!

Hi Trina,

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. I too took Communion before I BELIEVED or really understood what I was doing. Growing up I saw it as 'just a religious act' that was done on the first Sunday of each month and made that week's church service a little longer. Looking back I wish I'd asked questions rather than just 'going with the flow.' But because in my hometown back then (and even today) it was expected that children went to church with their parents, that's what I did. I went through the motions of baptism (didn't have a choice on this one as I was baptized as a baby), Communion and Confirmation. To this day I'm still not sure what Confirmation was all about - just another thing I did, but didn't understand.:eek::cry::o

Looking at this, I realize that I REALLY need to get my backside in gear and post my testimony!:lol:

Tanya~
Feb 19th 2008, 07:35 PM
I really enjoy reading everyone’s responses, comments, discussion and questions. Communion is so very meaningful to us and it’s wonderful to read how the Lord has met with Jen and Trina through this simple act. Mark really abbreviates the Last Supper, so if you want to read more about it you can go to Matt 26:26-29; Luke 22:14-23; and 1 Cor 11:23-26.

The points that really stand out in Mark are the essential elements of Communion as I understand it:

1.The bread which represents Christ’s body broken for us
2.The cup which represents Christ’s blood shed for us
3.The promise of His return and His kingdom

Paul in 1 Cor 11 tells us that every time we do this, we proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes. Communion therefore reminds us of Christ’s death for us, and also that He promises to return and establish His kingdom, in which we will be resurrected just as He was resurrected, and we will receive an inheritance. It is a celebration Jesus is looking forward to with great anticipation, as we can see by His statement that He will not drink the fruit of the vine until He drinks it new with us in the kingdom! Communion is a time of both looking back, and of looking forward. We also can look toward this time with joyful anticipation, at the same time that we look back on what Jesus gave for us, in thanksgiving and praise.

Tango commented about the hymn being songs of praise. The Greek word translated “when they had sung an hymn” is plural and conveys the idea that they sang praises, as Tango shared with us. It would be reasonable to assume they sang the Passover Hallel Psalms – Psalms 113-118, which were sung traditionally by the Jews at Passover and certain other holy days. If you have time, read through them. They’re not long. In Psalm 118 you will recall some familiar passages that we have seen in our Mark study, and other passages that clearly speak prophetically about Jesus, like this one:

Ps 118:25-28
Save now, I pray, O LORD;
O LORD, I pray, send now prosperity.
26 Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD!
We have blessed you from the house of the LORD.
27 God is the LORD,
And He has given us light;
Bind the sacrifice with cords to the horns of the altar.
28 You are my God, and I will praise You;
You are my God, I will exalt You.
NKJV

Jesus would soon be bound and He would offer Himself as the sacrifice. I’m sure these Psalms were very meaningful to Him specifically, because He knew they spoke of Him. In Luke 2:44, Jesus says that the Law, the Prophets, and the Psalms all speak of Him.
It is easy to see why the disciples did not accept what Jesus said they were going to do – abandon Him. They certainly did not intend to do that. I like how you answered the question:

Jen: I'm still not sure that Peter and the other disciples REALLY understand what is about to happen to Jesus. Or that they understand what a struggle being faithful to the Lord is going to be.

Trina: The disciples did not accept what Jesus told them about what they were going to do that night. He was not testing them. He was telling them what they were going to do. Of coarse, being with Jesus all this time, they're reaction to what He said was natural, but no matter how much they said it would not be so, what Jesus said was and is always true.

And John aptly points out: He was about to be rejected by men, the men who had followed him for so long. Had they not abandoned him (being scattered like sheep) then the prophecies of Zechariah and Isaiah would not be fulfilled.

Great job, everyone!

Tanya~
Feb 19th 2008, 08:05 PM
Mark 14:32-42 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark%2014:32-42;&version=50;)

Then they came to a place which was named Gethsemane; and He said to His disciples, "Sit here while I pray." 33 And He took Peter, James, and John with Him, and He began to be troubled and deeply distressed. 34 Then He said to them, "My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death. Stay here and watch."

35 He went a little farther, and fell on the ground, and prayed that if it were possible, the hour might pass from Him. 36 And He said, "Abba, Father, all things are possible for You. Take this cup away from Me; nevertheless, not what I will, but what You will."

37 Then He came and found them sleeping, and said to Peter, "Simon, are you sleeping? Could you not watch one hour? 38 Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."

39 Again He went away and prayed, and spoke the same words. 40 And when He returned, He found them asleep again, for their eyes were heavy; and they did not know what to answer Him.

41 Then He came the third time and said to them, "Are you still sleeping and resting? It is enough! The hour has come; behold, the Son of Man is being betrayed into the hands of sinners. 42 Rise, let us be going. See, My betrayer is at hand."

a. Note the location. See pictures at http://www.bibleplaces.com/mtolives.htm
(The garden of Gethsemane is located on the Mount of Olives opposite the Temple Mount.)

b. What did Jesus tell the disciples to do?

33-34.
a. Whom did Jesus separate from the rest of the group?
b. Describe what He did in their presence.
c. What did He want them to do?

35-36.
a. Where did Jesus go after this?
b. What did He do there?
c. What did He ask?
d. What did Jesus say that assures us of His infallible obedience?

37-38.
a. In what state did Jesus find Peter, James and John after He returned from His prayer?
b. Why do you think Jesus addressed Simon in particular? What did He ask Him?
c. What command did He repeat to them? Also note the added instruction.
d. What benefit would they receive if they would obey Him?
e. What obstacle were they to overcome by obeying Jesus’ command?

39-40.
a. Note what Jesus did after speaking to Peter.
b. In what condition did He find His disciples when He returned to them the second time?
c. What was their response to Him?

41-42.
a. Describe what happened when Jesus returned to them the third time.

* What can we learn from this about a window of opportunity to pray about something?

RoadWarrior
Feb 19th 2008, 10:39 PM
Sorry to be late this week, I'll try to catch up tonight. I'm distracted in preparing for a foot surgery a week from today. (Joint replacement, big toe, right foot.) Anyone who feels like praying for me, I welcome it. It's a small surgery, but my nerves are a bit bouncy about it.

Tanya~
Feb 19th 2008, 10:46 PM
Yes, thanks for letting us know RW, and I will pray that the surgery will go smoothly and quickly, without any complications, and same for the healing process. Keep us posted, so we don't forget to pray for you next week before you go in for the surgery.

tango
Feb 19th 2008, 11:01 PM
Jesus and the disciples arrived in Gethsemane. Jesus told the disciples to sit while he prayed. It seems very strange to me that Jesus would take them with him, only to tell them to sit and wait.

The Greek word for "pray" here is "proseuchomai", which is constructed of the noun euche (prayer to God which includes a vow), which expands to "euchomai" (a term describing an invocation or request) and "pros" (in the direction of). This makes more sense in the light of what follows.

Jesus took Peter, James and John with him (presumably away from the group), and became troubled. The Greek adēmoneō suggests loathing and great distress, which isn't surprising given what Jesus knew was coming. He told the three to watch (i.e. be awake, vigilant, keep watch).

Jesus then went on a little further, where he fell on the ground and begged God to let the hour pass from him. The Message puts this very succinctly, "he fell to the ground and prayed for a way out". He was asking God that, if there was any possible way, to spare him the horrible death that was coming, to take the cup of suffering away. But in spite of knowing what lay ahead he still ended with "not my will but yours" - if there was no other way he was going to go through with it.

In terms of what Jesus wanted to avoid, "take this cup away" seems so simple and the meaning so apparently obvious. Jesus didn't want to die and certainly didn't want to be crucified. But, of course, if he was to take our punishment he was going to have to be cut off from God completely - he had to die physically and spiritually just like we would otherwise have to do. Jumping ahead a little we see this (emphasis mine):

Mar 15:34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?" which is translated, "MY GOD, MY GOD, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME?"

Being cut off from God was going to be worse for Jesus than all the physical pain on the cross, but still he was willing to go through with it.

He returned to the three to find them asleep. Since Peter was the one who had first insisted that he would never abandon Jesus the question was directed at him, "couldn't you watch for one hour?". Then he told them to watch and pray, so they could avoid temptation. The flesh was weak (i.e. the part of them that fell asleep), and by praying they would be focussing on their spirit rather than their bodies.

After speaking with Peter, Jesus went back to pray, again asking God to spare him the suffering. When he got back the three disciples were asleep again, and this time they didn't even know how to reply. Here the NLT comes up with "And they didn't know what to say" - they'd been told once to watch, then reprimanded for failing and now they had failed again.

The third time Jesus returned they had fallen asleep yet again. Jesus then told them that they were out of time, that his betrayer was coming. They had had their chance to pray but had slept instead, so there were no more chances. This is a good example of why we should pray for things when the need arises - it's very easy to make a mental note to pray for something later. Personally I find it easy to suddenly realise I needed to pray for something just before going to bed and find myself dozing off while trying to pray. This passage makes it clear that I really need to make more effort to make time during the day, in case the windows of opportunity close.

I found it interesting that Jesus told Peter that he would deny him three times before the cock crowed. The story of Peter saying "no, I wasn't with him" three times is well known, but Peter fell asleep three times while he was supposed to be watching. So it's almost as if Jesus' prophecy was fulfilled twice in the same night.

Phroggie
Feb 20th 2008, 12:01 AM
32. Jesus and the disciples are now in the garden of Gethsemane. He instructs them to sit while He goes off to pray.

33-34. Jesus took Peter, James & John with Him and began to be deeply distressed and troubled. He says to them, 'My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death.' He then instructs the three men to stay with Him and keep watch.

35-36. Jesus separated Himself from the group and went a little ways from them where He fell to the ground and prayed. In His prayer He asked that, if it were possible, the awful hour awaiting Him might pass Him by.

I always thought Jesus knew and accepted His fate without question. But I can see now that He didn't want to endure such a horrible death (which is entirely understandable!!!), but because it was God's will He understood and accepted that it must happen.

37-38.
a. On His return Jesus finds Peter, James & John asleep.
b. Jesus asks Peter 'Simon are you asleep? Could you not keep watch for one hour?' He singles Peter out specifically because it was he who said in v29. 'I will never leave you, even though the rest do!' (GNB) Yet the first time he's asked to keep watch, he falls asleep! Not a very good start really, is it?

Thanks to tango for helping me with that one.:kiss:

c. Jesus instructs them a second time to keep watch adding that they pray so as not to fall into temptation.

d & e. The answer seems to be the same for both of these questions; If they kept watch and prayed they would receive the strength to resist temptation.

39-40.
a. Jesus went away again and prayed using the same words, 'Abba, Father, everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.'

b. Again, when he returned, He found the three asleep. Because their eyes were heavy.

c. They didn't know what to say to Him. I imagine they were more than a little embarrassed.

41-42. When Jesus returned to find the three asleep a third time, He basically had had enough. He says to them, 'The hour has come; look the Son of Man is being betrayed into the hands of sinners. Rise! Let us go! Here comes my betrayer!'

Had the three been keeping watch, they would've seen the group approaching and could've warned Jesus. But because they didn't pray they couldn't resist the temptation of sleep.

Windows of opportunity don't last forever, so we need to learn to put off praying about something until later. Do it now!

And with that, this phroggie is off to her lilypad for some sleep.

Kingsdaughter
Feb 20th 2008, 04:44 AM
Hi RW, I will pray that the Lord will guide the doctors and nurses who are caring for you and that He will give you peace and comfort during this time.:hug:

32. Jesus and the disciples are now in Gethsemane. He said to the disciples,' Sit here while I pray.'

33-34. Jesus took Peter, James and John with Him and He began to be troubled and deeply distressed. He tells them that His soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death. He wanted them to stay there and watch.

35-36. Jesus went a little farther and fell on the ground and prayed that if it were possible, the hour might pass from Him. When He prays, ' Nevertheless, not what I will, but what You will.' This assures us of His infallible obedience.

WHen this verse says that Jesus fell on the ground and prayed, I'm thinking that He must have been so emotionally exhausted, I mean, He knows what is going to happen to Him and I like how Tango said that He didn't want to be separated from the Father. That is what was troubling Him more than the physically pain that He was going to endure, was that He would be separated from God.

37-38. When Jesus returns from prayer He finds Peter, James and John sleeping. I didn't know why He addressed Peter, but then I read Phroggie and Tango's answer to this and I agree!:D Thanks guys:)
He tells them again to watch and pray, so that by doing so, they won't enter into temptation. They were to overcome their flesh, because although the spirit is willing the flesh is weak.

39-40. He went away again to pray and spoke the same words. When Jesus came back to them a second time, they were asleep again and they didn't know what to answer Him.

41-42. Jesus came to them a third time and they were asleep. He says to them, " Are you still sleeping and resting? It is enough! The hour has come; behold, the Son of Man is being betrayed into the hands of sinners. He tells them to rise, it's time to go, His betrayer is here.

It is better to pray about something that is in our minds and hearts while we have opportunity to do so. For me, I think I let sleep take over in the early morning hours when I should be up praying so that I can prepare my mind for the day. Or sometimes I let other things take up my time, rather than making it a top priority to pray about something that I should be praying about.

RoadWarrior
Feb 20th 2008, 06:26 AM
Jesus and the disciples are in the upper room that was identified by following a man with a jar of water. They are eating supper, the Passover meal. Jesus took bread and broke it, passing it around and telling the disciples that it represents His body. Then He passed the wine cup around and told them that it represents His blood, which is shed for "many". He also tells them that when He drinks of it again, it will be in the kingdom of God. He uses the word "new" and says in Matthew "with you". This can be seen as a promise that He will be with them again.

26. They sang a hymm, then left the upper room and went back out to the Mount of Olives.

27 Jesus quotes from Zech 13:7, in which it is prophesied that the shepherd will be struck and the sheep will be scattered. He makes it clear that it is about Himself, being killed, and about them, because they will be made to stumble.

28. Jesus makes a point of saying that after He has been raised, He will go to Galilee, and get there before they do. If they had been able to receive that, then there was what they needed - hope. Knowledge that He would truly live, even though He died. In spite of the resurrection of Lazarus, they still cannot truly grasp it, however.

29. Peter, in the same vehemence he expressed when he didn't want Jesus to wash his feet, declares that he will not stumble! Those other guys might, but "not me, Lord!"

30. Jesus tells Peter exactly in what way he will stumble. He will deny Jesus 3 times during the night, before the rooster crows the second time to announce the dawn.

31. Peter increases his vehemence. In his heart he really means it. All the others say the same thing. They think that they have the courage to stand with Jesus, even to death. But these men are expecting to fight soldiers and die in battle. They are not expecting Jesus to go to His death like a lamb led to slaughter, with no resistance.

When it turns out the way it does, these men will be confused and baffled. How can you fight when your leader peacefully surrenders? What do you do then?

RoadWarrior
Feb 20th 2008, 06:51 AM
32. Jesus and the disciples (minus Judas) arrived at the Garden of Gethsemane on or at the Mount of Olives. Jesus asked the disciples to stay there while He went on to pray.
33-34. However, He took Peter, James and John with Him as He went futher on. To these He revealed that His soul was exceedingly sorrowful, even to death. He told them to stay there and watch. (This is not clear to me - were they to watch for the approach of the soldiers, or were they to watch Jesus?)

35-36. Jesus went on a little further, and fell on the ground. He prayed that if it were the Father's will, that this "cup" should be taken away. But He restated that He wanted the Father's will to be done.

37-38. Jesus went back to where He had left the three, and found them sleeping. Simon Peter, the one who was so vehement about not denying Jesus, is specifically addressed by Jesus. "Could you not watch for one hour? Watch and pray" He said to him. This applies to us as well - "the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." Peter's spirit wanted to fight for Jesus, to be faithful to Him. But Peter wasn't even able to stay awake and pray while Jesus was in such great distress. Trying to do something in our own human strength is doomed to fail. We simply do not have the strength in our flesh to do what is necessary.

39-40. Jesus went away again, and prayed the same prayer that He had prayed before. When He came back, again they were sleeping. He woke them up, but they didn't know what to say to Him. They didn't even have an excuse for their failure to stay awake.

41-42. He repeated the same pattern, and came back to find them sleeping again. So He told them to get up, it was time to go. The betrayer was "at hand" - "The hour has come," He told them.

* What can we learn from this about a window of opportunity to pray about something?

This is a very interesting question. What might have happened if the men had been able to pray with Jesus? Would anything have been different? Sometimes we know that we need to pray, but like those men, we don't know "what to answer Him." If we could know how to pray in such "windows of opportunity" would we be given strength to stand for Jesus instead of fleeing, and denying Him?

I see a difference in their (in)ability to pray (and their depending on their own ability) and Jesus' long-established practice of spending time in prayer, praying not for the flesh but for the will of God. Jesus clearly knew He was in for a dreadful time and it was nearly unbearable. His prayer did not change the events which would take place. But did He gain strength from the Father as He prayed?

I have more questions than I have answers!

Kingsdaughter
Feb 20th 2008, 03:55 PM
This is a very interesting question. What might have happened if the men had been able to pray with Jesus? Would anything have been different? Sometimes we know that we need to pray, but like those men, we don't know "what to answer Him." If we could know how to pray in such "windows of opportunity" would we be given strength to stand for Jesus instead of fleeing, and denying Him?

I see a difference in their (in)ability to pray (and their depending on their own ability) and Jesus' long-established practice of spending time in prayer, praying not for the flesh but for the will of God. Jesus clearly knew He was in for a dreadful time and it was nearly unbearable. His prayer did not change the events which would take place. But did He gain strength from the Father as He prayed?

I have more questions than I have answers!

These are really good questions RW:) I think that when Jesus prayed He was being strengthened, and not praying to get out of what He was about to go through. The disciples slept, instead of prayed and Judas betrayed the Lord, it was all a part of God's divine plan. If the disciples had prayed, would they not have stumbled? Just like the Lord said they would? And if Judas had repented, who would turn the Lord over to the chief priests and scribes? The Lord give us free will to choose Him, at the same time, He knows what we will do. Okay, I'm confused again, I better stop.:lol:

RoadWarrior
Feb 20th 2008, 04:43 PM
These are really good questions RW:) I think that when Jesus prayed He was being strengthened, and not praying to get out of what He was about to go through. The disciples slept, instead of prayed and Judas betrayed the Lord, it was all a part of God's divine plan. If the disciples had prayed, would they not have stumbled? Just like the Lord said they would? And if Judas had repented, who would turn the Lord over to the chief priests and scribes? The Lord give us free will to choose Him, at the same time, He knows what we will do. Okay, I'm confused again, I better stop.:lol:

Thanks, Trina. Maybe Jesus knew that they would sleep, that they would stumble - but He wanted to teach them something so that they would learn to do better the next time? That is how I try to take these things. I can learn from the example given in the scripture. Like Tanya's question, I am also pondering how I need to pray at the moment the thought comes into my mind to pray for someone or something. Will it stop the thing from happening? Maybe, not everything is "cast in concrete", like God's plan for our redemption was fixed and immutable.

I do know that I have choices for what I do and when I do it. I try not to get too far beyond that - like you, I get confused! It is enough to walk with Him right now, today.

Kingsdaughter
Feb 20th 2008, 07:37 PM
Like Tanya's question, I am also pondering how I need to pray at the moment the thought comes into my mind to pray for someone or something. Will it stop the thing from happening? Maybe, not everything is "cast in concrete", like God's plan for our redemption was fixed and immutable.

I agree RW, you know this makes me think that even our prayers are directed by the Lord. That when we are listening to the Holy Spirit who tells us to pray for someone or something. And it reminds me of that scripture verse that says it is God who works in us to do His own will. What's so confusing about this is that, it is during those times in my own walk with the Lord when I surrender to the Holy Spirit and give up my own will,and am totally dependent upon Him, it is then when I experience true freedom. Does that make sense?

RoadWarrior
Feb 20th 2008, 07:43 PM
I agree RW, you know this makes me think that even our prayers are directed by the Lord. That when we are listening to the Holy Spirit who tells us to pray for someone or something. And it reminds me of that scripture verse that says it is God who works in us to do His own will. What's so confusing about this is that, it is during those times in my own walk with the Lord when I surrender to the Holy Spirit and give up my own will,and am totally dependent upon Him, it is then when I experience true freedom. Does that make sense?

It makes perfect sense. When we are trying to do it ourselves, it is labor that is not very fruitful. When we allow Him to do it, He bears the fruit and we get to relax and go with the flow. Thanks for reminding me of that!

Tanya~
Feb 20th 2008, 07:54 PM
As we study through these final chapters in Mark, we will come across many very familiar, one might say famous, passages. The Garden of Gethsemane is one of them.

Road Warrior brought out that all the disciples went with Jesus except Judas. In our Mark narrative, we didn’t learn when Judas left, but the other gospels tell us that it was right after Jesus had told them one of them would betray Him. Privately, Peter asked John to ask Jesus who it was. Jesus told John that it was the one to whom Jesus would give a piece of bread. When Jesus dipped some bread and handed it to Judas, he went out to betray Him.

Jesus separated out Peter, James and John from the rest of the group, but then went a little further away to pray alone. These three were His ‘inner circle’ and were expected to be His most faithful supporters during this time of great need.

When Jesus said, “stay here and watch” it is in the same sense of the word that He had given to them earlier, during His Olivet Discourse. He taught them about things to come concerning the temple, their own lives, and the time of the end. His command was that they (and all of us) should “watch.” The purpose of watching is not to prevent or forestall the events that would come, but rather that they personally would be prepared to meet the challenges that were about to confront them, and that they wouldn’t be caught off-guard by these things when they started to happen. It carries the connotation of staying awake and alert, both literally and figuratively, of being vigilant, in a state of readiness for what might come and in this case, what was certain to come. Tango also touched on this.

Jesus returned to check on them but found them sleeping, and told Peter in particular to “Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation.” Not only were they supposed to be alert and ready for what was about to happen, but they were to be in prayer so that they themselves would not enter into temptation.

Jesus’ experience in the garden is excruciating. He knew from the beginning what He was to face, and He steadfastly embraced what was to come. In John’s account, when Jesus was speaking publicly on the day of His entry into Jerusalem on the donkey, He said this:

John 12:23-28

23 But Jesus answered them, saying, "The hour has come that the Son of Man should be glorified. 24 Most assuredly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the ground and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it produces much grain. 25 He who loves his life will lose it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. 26 If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also. If anyone serves Me, him My Father will honor.

27 "Now My soul is troubled, and what shall I say? 'Father, save Me from this hour'? But for this purpose I came to this hour. 28 Father, glorify Your name."
NKJV

In the Garden of Gethsemane He said, “Abba, Father, all things are possible for You. Take this cup away from Me; nevertheless, not what I will, but what You will.”

It is certain that Jesus was not looking forward to what He would soon experience, yet He knew all along, that He had to do this and that He would do it. He came always and only to do His Father’s will. In this time of His greatest temptation to do something other than His Father’s will, Jesus arose from His time of prayer with the victory. The pain, grief and sorrow of Jesus’ greatest temptation was “even to death.” Yet He never wavered from His intention to do His Father’s will. Through His agony in prayer, He sought and received the help He needed to go through with it. Hebrews tells us this of Jesus:

Heb 5:7-9
who, in the days of His flesh, when He had offered up prayers and supplications, with vehement cries and tears to Him who was able to save Him from death, and was heard because of His godly fear, 8 though He was a Son, yet He learned obedience by the things which He suffered. 9 And having been perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him
NKJV

Obedience is one thing when it is pleasant and easy to obey. This command by His Father was not easy to obey. Yet He did what His Father called Him to do. The Father certainly could have saved Jesus from going through with it. But Jesus was not really looking for that. He wanted to do His Father’s will. He wanted to be obedient. In Matthew’s account, Jesus says at the time of His arrest:

Matt 26:53-54
53 Or do you think that I cannot now pray to My Father, and He will provide Me with more than twelve legions of angels? 54 How then could the Scriptures be fulfilled, that it must happen thus?"
NKJV

The disciples who had their own temptations to face had not prayed and were not strengthened, and for that reason, they were not able to go with Him, to follow Him and support Him and admit to their association with Him, to be willing to be arrested and tried and maybe crucified along with Him. In answer to Jesus’ prediction of Peter’s denial Peter had said, “Lord, I am ready to go with You, both to prison and to death.” (Luke 22:33) But when the time came for Jesus to be arrested, Peter did not find that he was ready. The temptation to escape and save his own skin was stronger than his willingness to stand with Jesus through all of this. His spirit was willing, but his flesh was weak. He had not prayed against the temptation. Jesus on the other hand, spent Himself in prayer and was able to overcome the temptation.

There is much that could be said about these things that directly apply to us. For me, prayer is what stands out the most. Prayer is absolutely essential in the Christian life, and we really do need to pray when we can, before it's too late as it were. May the Lord reveal to us the greatness of the power that is available to us, when we pray according to His will.

Tanya~
Feb 20th 2008, 08:00 PM
Mark 14:43-52 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark%2014:43-52;&version=50;)

And immediately, while He was still speaking, Judas, one of the twelve, with a great multitude with swords and clubs, came from the chief priests and the scribes and the elders. 44 Now His betrayer had given them a signal, saying, "Whomever I kiss, He is the One; seize Him and lead Him away safely."

45 As soon as he had come, immediately he went up to Him and said to Him, "Rabbi, Rabbi!" and kissed Him.

46 Then they laid their hands on Him and took Him. 47 And one of those who stood by drew his sword and struck the servant of the high priest, and cut off his ear.

48 Then Jesus answered and said to them, "Have you come out, as against a robber, with swords and clubs to take Me? 49 I was daily with you in the temple teaching, and you did not seize Me. But the Scriptures must be fulfilled."

50 Then they all forsook Him and fled.

51 Now a certain young man followed Him, having a linen cloth thrown around his naked body. And the young men laid hold of him, 52 and he left the linen cloth and fled from them naked.
NKJV

*Summarize briefly from the previous lesson what Jesus and His disciples had been doing, and where they were.

a. Record what Jesus was saying. (See Mark 14:42 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=mark%2014:42;&version=50;))
b. Who approached when Jesus was saying this?
c. Who had sent them?

a. Describe how the mob were to know which one was Jesus.
b. What specifically did Judas tell them to do with Him?

45-46. Describe how the arrest occurred.

47. Compare this verse with John 18:10-11 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John%2018:10-11;&version=50;).
a. Describe what this disciple did.
b. What was Jesus’ response? (Also see Luke 22:51 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%2022:51;&version=50;))

48-49.
a. What did Jesus ask the mob?
b. Of what two things did He remind them?

50. What did the disciples do, in fulfillment of Jesus’ previous prediction (verse 27 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark%2014:27;&version=50;))?

51-52. Record everything this verse tells us about this person, what happened to him, and how he escaped.

*What insight might this incident give us as to why the disciples themselves fled?

*There is nothing more in Scripture about this incident to give us any background or further information about who this person was or what he was doing beyond what it says. It brings to my mind two other passages. Read them and see if they give you any insight as to what understanding we might receive from it. They’re very different, but they have something in common with this passage in Mark.

Rev 16:15
Gen 39:11-12 (you may wish to read the whole chapter if you are not already familiar with this story.)

tango
Feb 20th 2008, 11:23 PM
Jesus has been praying in the garden of Gethsemane, begging God to find some other way to save mankind, another way that didn't involve him being nailed to a cross and separated from God. The three disciples closest to him were told to pray but then fell asleep instead. The other disciples were left further back and told to sit and wait.

The third time Jesus rebuked the disciples he told them that they were out of time, his betrayer was coming. With that Judas arrived with a great multitude of armed men, sent by the chief priests, the scribes and the elders.

They knew who Jesus was because Judas would kiss him. They probably already knew who Jesus was anyway, but of course they wanted to be absolutely sure they took the right man away. Judas had arranged that they would lead Jesus away safely.

A couple of points to make here. Firstly my study notes indicate that the kiss Judas gave Jesus was an intimate greeting, the kind of thing that close friends would use. This highlights that Jesus was betrayed by someone very close to him, rather than someone who knew him as a casual acquaintance.

Secondly I found the words "lead him away safely" interesting. Looking at the Greek we see two words:

ἀσφαλῶς / asphalōs, meaning "securely, assuredly, safely". No surprises there. But we also see ἀπάγω / apagō, which means to bring, carry away, lead, or put to death. So it's as if the words have a double meaning - keep him safe for now so we can kill him later.

Judas went through with his part of the plan - he approached Jesus, greeted him and kissed him. Then the masses laid hands on him and took him away. The narratives in Mark and John are very similar, although John's gospel indicates that the disciple with the sword was Peter, and that Jesus rebuked Peter for striking the high priest's servant. Luke's gospel indicates that Jesus then healed the man who had just lost his ear. A truly remarkable thing to do, given he knew full well what the crowd were going to do.

Jesus than asked the mob if they had really come for him with swords and clubs, the way they would approach a robber. He had been with them every day and nobody had tried to take him, but now they were turning up in force, heavily armed. But, as he said, the scriptures had to be fulfilled so he went along with them. The disciples, fulfilling a scripture, forsook him and fled.

The young man was wearing nothing more than a single cloth - underneath this single cloth he was naked. When the crowd seized him he left the cloth and fled naked. He literally wriggled out of his limited clothing to preserve his life. The fact he was willing to literally flee naked from the crowd suggests they were far from peaceful, I'd expect a crowd whipped up ready for trouble, heavily armed, expecting Jesus and the disciples to resist and fully prepared for a fight. This man was desperate to flee, quite possibly fearing for his life. The disciples likewise fled for fear of their own lives.

The two other passages provide an interesting insight - they both cover situations where nakedness is shameful or where leaving clothes behind causes problems. A classic modern metaphor is to say someone is caught "with their pants down", used either when someone has been literally caught in a compromising position or, more generally, when someone has been caught in any form of embarrassing situation. To me it reinforces what we discussed earlier about not knowing when Jesus will come again, and not wanting to greet him with a mumbled "um, er, you weren't supposed to see that" or some such.

RoadWarrior
Feb 21st 2008, 05:56 AM
After supper in the upper room, Jesus and the disciples had gone to the Garden of Gethsemane at the Mount of Olives. Jesus left the larger group, took the 3 inner circle disciples a little further, then He went on yet further to pray. The disciples were all too sleepy to stay awake and pray with Jesus, and now the tiime has come. The betrayer is arriving.
*Summarize briefly from the previous lesson what Jesus and His disciples had been doing, and where they were.

43. Jesus had said, "Rise, let us be going, See, My betrayer is at hand.". As Jesus was saying this, Judas (the betrayer) arrived with a great multitude, sent by the chief priests, scribes and elders.

44. Judas had set the signal as being, that he would kiss Jesus. The mob was to seize Jesus and lead Him away "safely".

45-47. It happened that way, except that one of the disciples (Simon Peter) pulled out a sword and cut off the ear of the servant (Malchus) of the high priest. Jesus said, "Permit even this," and He reached out and healed the ear.

48-49.
a. Jesus asked the mob, "“Have you come out, as against a robber, with swords and clubs to take Me? 49 I was daily with you in the temple teaching, and you did not seize Me. But the Scriptures must be fulfilled.”

50. Jesus had told the disciples that they would stumble, and this is what happened - they forsook Him and fled.

51-52. A "certain young man" was naked except for being wrapped in a linen cloth. He followed behind the mob which had seized Jesus, until some of the young men tried to grab him as well, seizing him by the garment. He fled from them, and the linen cloth was left behind in their hands.

*What insight might this incident give us as to why the disciples themselves fled?

1. It is possible that they had stripped down for sleeping, and were wrapped in sleeping garments only.
2. Had they stayed, they also would have been killed along with Jesus.

*There is nothing more in Scripture about this incident to give us any background or further information about who this person was or what he was doing beyond what it says. It brings to my mind two other passages. Read them and see if they give you any insight as to what understanding we might receive from it. They’re very different, but they have something in common with this passage in Mark.

Rev 16:15 “Behold, I am coming as a thief. Blessed is he who watches, and keeps his garments, lest he walk naked and they see his shame.”

Jesus had told the disciples to "watch" but had said nothing about keeping their garments. But a watchman would not strip down for sleeping.

Gen 39:11-12 is a different scenario, that of Joseph being trapped by the attempted seductress wife of the master. He escaped, but in a similar fashion - she had hold of his garment and in order to escape he had to leave it behind.

tango
Feb 21st 2008, 02:01 PM
I found this article which might be of interest, more relating to the Gentile woman who told Jesus how even the dogs eat the scraps from the children (I posted it here because digging out the old thread would probably leave it unread!). It's written by the chaplain to the London Stock Exchange. I found it interesting, thought others who have done the study might also find it interesting.

http://dailyreckoning.co.uk/article/thewomanfromcanaan0770.html

Tanya~
Feb 21st 2008, 06:10 PM
Hi Tango,

Because we're all still subscribed to those old threads, a new post would bring it into your user CP -- But the pain would be digging through them to try to find the one with that particular passage in it so posting it in the current thread is perfectly fine, if at any time you have a comment or link to share that relates to an older lesson. :) I appreciate your sharing it with us.

I like what the author said here:
"When you read a gospel story, picture the scene and go through it slowly, using all your intelligence and asking God to give you an insight. The do the same again. And again. And again."

I also have found this to be the way to understand the word, and to know God.

Not sure I agree with his contention that the disciples didn't know Jesus was the Messiah though. They were, after all, following Him because they believed this to be the case. See John 1:35ff. I think the full impact of His divinity was gradually revealed to them as time went by, but the belief that Jesus was the Messiah and the Son of God was something that they believed from the start.

The news about Jesus spread like wildfire, even to these Gentile regions. You may recall when we were studying Mark 3, in verses 7-12 a great multitude from the region around Galilee as well as Tyre and Sidon came to Him because they had heard about Him. Many of them had demons. Later when Jesus arrived in the region of Tyre and Sidon (7:24f) the woman found Him and sought His help with her daughter. I think she had heard about Jesus, and knew that He could heal her daughter because of what He had done for others.

The region of Tyre and Sidon has a long history of relationship with Israel and the Jews. There were also synagogues in those cities because Jews lived in many areas other than Israel. The knowledge of the Jewish Messiah was known because of the Jewish presence in and around these areas. The Gentiles living there would not have been completely in the dark about all these things. They were, however, living in great spiritual darkness and many were afflicted by demons.

It may seem overly critical to look at an article someone has written, and find things that are wrong. The author has good things to say too, and we don't want to just dismiss it because we find mistakes. We all make mistakes. :) When we do recognize a mistake though, it's good to note it and recognize how one mistake can lead to other misconceptions or incorrect conclusions. For example:

"The Son of David is the Messiah, the Redeemer of Israel. Why should blind foreigners and heathen women be interested in the Jewish Redeemer? I don’t know any answer to this question – except it be that God revealed it directly to these strangers."

Because the author doesn't realize that the prophecies of the Jewish Messiah were well known, and that news of Jesus had spread to these cities in the usual way, he concludes that these Gentiles knew of Jesus by direct revelation. It's an honest mistake on his part, like the mistakes the rest of us can and do make. As teachers we need to do the best we can to be as accurate as we can, knowing that we will make mistakes, but being as careful as we can to avoid that. As readers and students it is important for each of us to be like the Bereans. Paul went around to the synagogues in Greece preaching about Jesus. The Jews in Thessalonica rejected him and his message outright. But those in Berea were more noble-minded because they listened to what he had to say, and they searched the Scriptures to see if what he said was true. They found it to be true, and many of them believed. Their open-mindedness and receptiveness coupled with their critical evaluation using the Scriptures as their plumb line of truth is a combination I personally aspire to, and would encourage others to do so as well.

Tanya~
Feb 21st 2008, 07:16 PM
Mark 14:53-65 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark%2014:53-65;&version=50;)

And they led Jesus away to the high priest; and with him were assembled all the chief priests, the elders, and the scribes. 54 But Peter followed Him at a distance, right into the courtyard of the high priest. And he sat with the servants and warmed himself at the fire.

55 Now the chief priests and all the council sought testimony against Jesus to put Him to death, but found none. 56 For many bore false witness against Him, but their testimonies did not agree.

57 Then some rose up and bore false witness against Him, saying, 58 "We heard Him say, ‘I will destroy this temple made with hands, and within three days I will build another made without hands.'" 59 But not even then did their testimony agree.

60 And the high priest stood up in the midst and asked Jesus, saying, "Do You answer nothing? What is it these men testify against You?" 61 But He kept silent and answered nothing.

Again the high priest asked Him, saying to Him, "Are You the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?"

62 Jesus said, "I am. And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power, and coming with the clouds of heaven."

63 Then the high priest tore his clothes and said, "What further need do we have of witnesses? 64 You have heard the blasphemy! What do you think?"

And they all condemned Him to be deserving of death.

65 Then some began to spit on Him, and to blindfold Him, and to beat Him, and to say to Him, "Prophesy!" And the officers struck Him with the palms of their hands.
NKJV

a. Where did the mob (cf. our previous lesson) take Jesus?
b. Who is specifically mentioned as being present? (Also see article in Study notes (http://bibleforums.org/showpost.php?p=1547518&postcount=10))

54. Note Peter’s activities

55-56.
a. What was the intention of the religious authorities?
b. By what means did they seek to accomplish this goal?
c. What did they find against Him?
*d. What does the Law say about what was taking place? (Ex 20:16; Deut 19:16-19 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ex%2020:16;%20Deut%2019:16-19;&version=50;))

57-59.
a. What testimony recorded by Mark was presented against Jesus?
b. Compare this testimony with what Jesus actually said (John 2:19-21 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John%202:19-21;&version=50;)), and comment on how it differs from what the witnesses were saying.

60-61.
a. What 2 questions did the high priest ask Jesus at first, and what was Jesus’ response?
b. What was the high priest’s third, very direct question?

62. Note Jesus’ response. See Psalm 110:1-2 and Dan 7:13-14 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm%20110:1-2;%20Dan%207:13-14;&version=50;) to get the full impact of Jesus’ words.

63-64.
a. What was the reaction of the high priest? What does he say to the others?
b. What was the response of the other leaders?

65. Note how Jesus began to be treated.

May the Lord richly bless you with insight and understanding as you read and meditate on these things.

tango
Feb 21st 2008, 10:11 PM
The mob led Jesus away to the high priest. The high priest was accompanied by the chief priests, elders and scribes. Presumably this was the church council, a gathering of the "great and the good". Peter followed at a distance and worked his way into the courtyard, where he sat with the servants.

Given Peter's earlier attempt to protect Jesus by striking the servant with his sword, perhaps Peter was hoping to pull off some kind of jail break and free Jesus. Maybe he had hoped to find out where Jesus was being held so he could return with a group to free him.

The religious authorities were trying to find anything they could to have Jesus executed. They were perfectly happy to take a false testimony and seemed to be actively looking for people to bear false witness against him. They found a lot of people who refused to give a false testimony, and several who would. Unfortunately all the false testimonies contradicted each other, which rendered them useless.

The priests needed multiple witnesses, even though they had decided their verdict already:

Num 35:30 Whoever kills a person, the murderer shall be put to death on the testimony of witnesses; but one witness is not sufficient testimony against a person for the death penalty.

Deu 17:6 Whoever is deserving of death shall be put to death on the testimony of two or three witnesses; he shall not be put to death on the testimony of one witness.

The priests were breaking their own laws even as they tried to prove Jesus was breaking the laws. In Exodus one of the ten commandments explicitly forbade bearing a false testimony; in Deuteronomy the law gave explicit instructions how to handle a false witness. It seems the priests were leaving a trail of broken laws in the desperation to convict Jesus:

Exo 20:16 "You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

Lev 5:1 'If a person sins in hearing the utterance of an oath, and is a witness, whether he has seen or known of the matter—if he does not tell it, he bears guilt.

Deu 19:15 "One witness shall not rise against a man concerning any iniquity or any sin that he commits; by the mouth of two or three witnesses the matter shall be established.
Deu 19:16 If a false witness rises against any man to testify against him of wrongdoing,
Deu 19:17 then both men in the controversy shall stand before the LORD, before the priests and the judges who serve in those days.
Deu 19:18 And the judges shall make careful inquiry, and indeed, if the witness is a false witness, who has testified falsely against his brother,
Deu 19:19 then you shall do to him as he thought to have done to his brother; so you shall put away the evil from among you.

My study notes also say that another law was broken by holding a trial at night but I can't for the life of me find a reference to that law. Any takers?

Among the testimonies spoken against Jesus was the claimed he could could destroy the temple and rebuild it within three days. What he had actually said was "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up", referring to his own death and resurrection. The witnesses were taking his metaphorical statement and interpreting it literally, but even with this their testimonies did not agree.

The high priest asked Jesus whether he heard the testimonies against him, and how he would answer them. Jesus didn't answer, so the high priest asked him directly, "Are you the son of God?" Jesus said that he was, and that they would see him sitting at the right hand of God, coming with the clouds of heaven. This was pretty much a word-for-word recount of what Daniel had prophesied.

The high priest tore his clothes and asked why they needed any more witnesses. After all, Jesus had uttered what must have appeared to be the ultimate blasphemy in front of everybody. I have to wonder whether the high priests wanted to use Daniels' prophesy of the abomination of desolation against Jesus - the man who stood in a holy place and claimed to be God. Leviticus was very clear what had to be done to blasphemers:

Lev 24:16 And whoever blasphemes the name of the LORD shall surely be put to death. All the congregation shall certainly stone him, the stranger as well as him who is born in the land. When he blasphemes the name of the LORD, he shall be put to death.

All the other leaders agreed that he had to be executed. Then people started to abuse him - they spat on him and beat him. They blindfolded him and hit him, challenging him to prophesy and determine who hit him.

In the process another prophecy was fulfilled:

Isa 50:6 I gave My back to those who struck Me, And My cheeks to those who plucked out the beard; I did not hide My face from shame and spitting.

and another law was broken

Lev 24:19 'If a man causes disfigurement of his neighbor, as he has done, so shall it be done to him—
Lev 24:20 fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth; as he has caused disfigurement of a man, so shall it be done to him.

Phroggie
Feb 21st 2008, 11:46 PM
My responses for Wednesday's lesson...better late than never;)

43. As Jesus is saying to Peter, James & John, 'Rise! Let us go! Here comes my betrayer!' Judas arrives with a mob of men armed with swords and clubs. They had been sent by the chief priests, scribes and elders.

44. Judas had a pre-determined signal arranged with the mob. He told them 'The one I kiss is the man.' He gives the instruction that Jesus is to be arrested and led away under guard.

Interesting that the NKJV says that Jesus is to be led away safely. Couldn't that imply that Judas wanted Jesus to be looked after as if he were feeling guilty about betraying Him?:hmm:

45-46
Judas greeted Jesus, 'Rabbi' he said before kissing Him. Taking their cue, the men immediately seized Jesus and arrested Him.

47. a. John 18:10-11 reveals that it was Simon Peter who drew his sword and struck the high priest's servant, cutting off his ear.

b. Jesus responded by saying, 'No more of this!' before touching the man's ear and healing him.

48-49. Jesus asks the mob, 'Am I leading a rebellion that you have come out with swords and clubs to capture me?'

He reminds them that He was with them regularly in the temple teaching them, yet they did not feel it necessary to arrest Him then. He acknowledges their actions by saying that the Scripture written about this day must be fulfilled.

50. In fulfillment of an earlier prediction by Jesus, the disciples deserted Him and ran away.

51-52. A young man had been following Jesus. The man was clothed only in a long linen shirt. When the mob tried to grab him, he slipped out of the garment and fled.

*1. Perhaps the disciples fled merely because the were trying to save themselves. Or it could've been they remembered Jesus' earlier prediction and subconsciously knew scripture must be fulfilled.:hmm:

*2. tango has once again helped me on this one. I can see that all three passages refer to the shame associated with being naked.

The young man slipped out of his garment and fled - naked.

The passage in Revelation says, 'Blessed are all who are watching for Me who keep their clothing ready so they will not have to walk around naked and ashamed.

Gen 39:11-12 Joseph tore himself away from the clutches of Potiphar's wife, but left his cloak in her hand as he fled the house.

And with that this Phroggie is off to her lily pad for some sleep. I'll catch up on today's study tomorrow.

Tanya~
Feb 21st 2008, 11:54 PM
Good points, Tango. I wanted to comment on a point you brought out:

Lev 24:16 And whoever blasphemes the name of the LORD shall surely be put to death. All the congregation shall certainly stone him, the stranger as well as him who is born in the land. When he blasphemes the name of the LORD, he shall be put to death.

They were even breaking the law with this because they never did intend to stone Jesus. Yet their error actually meant the fulfillment of prophecy, that Jesus would be crucified, not stoned.

They said of course that they were not allowed to put anyone to death by stoning:

John 18:31-32

31 Then Pilate said to them, "You take Him and judge Him according to your law."

Therefore the Jews said to him, "It is not lawful for us to put anyone to death," 32 that the saying of Jesus might be fulfilled which He spoke, signifying by what death He would die.
NKJV

A similar situation came up with Stephen. He was also brought before the Sanhedrin, false witnesses were brought against him, he was accused of blasphemy, just like Jesus... but they stoned him to death rather than having him crucified.

It's amazing how they broke so many of the very laws they were charged to justly execute, and fulfilled prophecy in the process.

RoadWarrior
Feb 21st 2008, 11:56 PM
53. The mob had taken Jesus captive in the Garden of Gethsemane, and then led him off to the high priest, who was waiting with the chief priests, elders, and scribes.

54. Peter (unlike the man who lost his garment) followed at a distance. By this strategy, he got right into the courtyard of the high priest, and warmed himself at the fire. (I think now he is wide awake.)

55-56.
a. The religious authorities are seeking testimony that will justify putting Jesus to death. None of the people giving testimony were able to accomplish the goal. Even if they did have something noteworthy to say, their testimonies did not agree with each other.

*d. What does the Law say about what was taking place? (Ex 20:16; Deut 19:16-19 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ex%2020:16;%20Deut%2019:16-19;&version=50;))
By this law, the people who gave false testimony in an attempt to put Jesus to death, should have themselves been put to death.

57-59. Then some gave this testimony:
‘I will destroy this temple made with hands, and within three days I will build another made without hands.'"
But it was an inaccurate quote of what Jesus had actually said, which was,
“Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”

He had not said that He would destroy the temple. Nor had He said he would rebuild another in its place within 3 days.

He had been speaking allegorically and prophetically, of the temple of His own body. Ironically, these men are now unwittingly seeking to fulfill Jesus' prophetic statement; they want to destroy the body of Jesus.

Their testimonies were still not sufficiently alike to justify the death sentence.

60-61.
a. The high priest (it's interesting that he stood up.) asked Jesus directly, "Do You answer nothing? What is it these men testify against You?"
Jesus was silent and did not answer him.

b. The high priest’s third, very direct question was "Are You the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?"

62. Jesus said, "I am. And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power, and coming with the clouds of heaven." Jesus was using terminology that these learned men would recognize as Messianic prophecies. He was speaking of ruling over His enemies (the Jewish leaders) and of His eternal kingdom (which even the Jews of today continue to believe will be literally fulfilled by a man.)

63-64.
The high priest was deeply offended, tore his clothes (a sign of grief) and asked the others to bear witness that what Jesus had said was blasphemous. They, of course, agreed with the high priest.

65. Now they began to treat Jesus shamefully, spitting on Him, blindfolding Him, and beating Him. The officers struck Him with their open hands. Some said to Him, "Prophesy!", as if He should tell which one was striking Him.

May the Lord richly bless you with insight and understanding as you read and meditate on these things.

Thank you Tanya. It is so sad that our Lord was treated this way!

Tanya~
Feb 22nd 2008, 01:03 AM
Interesting that the NKJV says that Jesus is to be led away safely. Couldn't that imply that Judas wanted Jesus to be looked after as if he were feeling guilty about betraying Him?:hmm:

I also was puzzled by this, and was thinking along the same lines. I looked up the word in my lexicons and found that it does mean safely, but also refers to assurance. In other words, lead him away assuredly, securely. I think it was less about concern for Jesus' personal safety than it was to make sure they got hold Him and kept him in their custody. There had been times when they tried to lay hold of Jesus in the past, but were unsuccessful:

John 8:58-59
58 Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM."

59 Then they took up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.
NKJV

Interestingly, this shows that they would have stoned Jesus, but that wasn't how He was to be killed. Their timing also was not God's timing, and Jesus evaded them. Another time they tried to stone Him, and again, He evaded them. (John 10:31-39) They attempted to get Him, but couldn't.

We can see that Jesus was always in control, even when they thought they were in control. When they tried to get Him before, they were unable, because it wasn't time. When the time came though, Jesus permitted them to take Him away. It was not possible for them to take Him away unless He permitted it. In John we see an interesting thing that happened when they came to take Him away.

John 18:3-6
3 Then Judas, having received a detachment of troops, and officers from the chief priests and Pharisees, came there with lanterns, torches, and weapons. 4 Jesus therefore, knowing all things that would come upon Him, went forward and said to them, "Whom are you seeking?"

5 They answered Him,"Jesus of Nazareth."

Jesus said to them, "I am He." And Judas, who betrayed Him, also stood with them. 6 Now when He said to them, "I am He," they drew back and fell to the ground.
NKJV

There is no way they could have arrested Jesus if He wasn't ready to be arrested. Because of this, it is sort of comical to me, to think of Judas telling them to take Jesus away 'safely' (assuredly) as if they could overpower Him.

Kingsdaughter
Feb 22nd 2008, 04:59 AM
I'm with Phroggie...better late than never:D

43. In verse 42. Jesus was speaking to the disciples, telling them to rise, that His betrayer is coming. Judas and a great multitude with swords and clubs approached Jesus. They were sent by the chief priests, scribes, and elders.

44. Judas told the men that whomever he kisses, that was the one they were to take hold of. He told them to seize Him and take Him away safely.( I thought this was strange that he would tell them to take Jesus away safely, I agree with Phroggie that maybe Judas felt guilty or maybe he just wanted to make sure that Jesus was delivered to the chief priests, scribes and elders...alive...As if they could do anything without the Lord's permission)

45-46. Judas went up to Jesus and said," Rabbi,Rabbi!" And he kissed Him. They then laid hands on Him and took Him away.

47. It was Peter(of coarse:lol: I just love that guy) who drew his sword and struck the high priest's servant who's name was Malchus.(Wow, he has a name? am I looking too much into this or is there a reason why his name is mentioned in scripture?) Jesus says to Peter," Put your sword into the sheath. Shall I not drink the cup which My Father has given Me?" And, " Permit even this." He touched the servant's ear and healed him.

48-49. Jesus asked them," Have you come out, as against a robber, with swords and clubs to take me?" He reminded them that He was with them in the temple teaching and they didn't seize Him, He also tells them that the Scriptures must be fulfilled.

50. The disciples forsook Him and fled, just as Jesus had predicted.

51-52. There was a young man who followed Jesus and he had a linen cloth thrown around his naked body. The young men laid hold of him, and he left the linen cloth and fled from them naked. These men would have taken the disciples too, along with Jesus which is why the disciples fled.

I don't understand what the meaning is behind the young man and the linen cloth. The linen cloths and garments are coverings and they are good. Our nakedness represents shame, which is sin. So the young man left what was good (linen cloth)and ran away in his nakedness...shame. I don't even understand what I just posted:rolleyes:...:lol:

Kingsdaughter
Feb 22nd 2008, 03:47 PM
I found this article which might be of interest, more relating to the Gentile woman who told Jesus how even the dogs eat the scraps from the children (I posted it here because digging out the old thread would probably leave it unread!). It's written by the chaplain to the London Stock Exchange. I found it interesting, thought others who have done the study might also find it interesting.

http://dailyreckoning.co.uk/article/thewomanfromcanaan0770.html

I can't pull up this link. When I click on it, it says,' page cannot be displayed:B

RoadWarrior
Feb 22nd 2008, 04:58 PM
I can't pull up this link. When I click on it, it says,' page cannot be displayed:B

I had the same problem. I think it is related to the fact that I have Vista. :( Vista is so much fun! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: NOT! I need to ask my hubby to fix that little issue ... I get a 404 error, do you get the same?

Tanya~
Feb 22nd 2008, 05:27 PM
Mark 14:66-72 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark%2014:66-72;&version=31;)

Now as Peter was below in the courtyard, one of the servant girls of the high priest came. 67 And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked at him and said, "You also were with Jesus of Nazareth."

68 But he denied it, saying, "I neither know nor understand what you are saying." And he went out on the porch, and a rooster crowed.

69 And the servant girl saw him again, and began to say to those who stood by, "This is one of them." 70 But he denied it again.

And a little later those who stood by said to Peter again, "Surely you are one of them; for you are a Galilean, and your speech shows it."

71 Then he began to curse and swear, "I do not know this Man of whom you speak!"

72 A second time the rooster crowed. Then Peter called to mind the word that Jesus had said to him, "Before the rooster crows twice, you will deny Me three times." And when he thought about it, he wept.
NKJV

66-67.
a. Recall where Peter was and what he was doing there from Mark 14:54.
b. Who approached Peter?
c. What did she do and say?

a. How did Peter respond?
b. Where did Peter go, and what happened when he got there?

69-70.
a. Record what the girl did next.
b. How did Peter respond?
c. Who spoke to Peter after that?
d. What did they say to him?

71. Note Peter’s response.

72. See also Luke 22:62 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%2022:60-62;&version=31;)
a. Record the events that followed.

*In what way does Peter's failure encourage you, knowing that he was restored by the Lord later?

Kingsdaughter
Feb 22nd 2008, 05:36 PM
53. The mob took Jesus and led Him to the high priest. Assembled with him were the chief priests, the elders and the scribes.

54. Peter followed Jesus, but kept a safe distance, so that no one would notice that he was following Him. Peter was in the courtyard of the high priest and sat with the servants by the fire to get warm.

55-56. The religious leaders wanted to put Jesus to death. So they sought testimony against Him but found none. There were many who bore false witness against Him, but their testimonies did not agree.

The law says that you shall not bear false witness against your neighbor and anyone who does will be punished. And he will receive the same penalty that was intended for the brother that he was bearing false witness against.

57-59. The testimony that was brought against Jesus was that they they heard Him say, " I will destroy this temple made with hands and within three days I will build another made without hands." But that's not what Jesus said. What He really said was," Destroy this temple and in three days, I will raise it up." He was talking about the temple of His body. They had taken what He said and twisted it to say what they wanted it to say.

That is happening today with many of the false religions. There was a couple who came to my door and I think they said that they are from the ' church of light' they had a 'bible' and started quoting scripture, but I noticed that they had left out passages and in some verses they had changed some of the words. I thank God that He has given us the Holy Spirit to protect us from false teaching and to give us discernment to know whether it is false or maybe it is teaching that we are not ready for because we are at different stages of our faith and walk with the Lord.

60-61. They asked Jesus," Do you answer nothing?" And," What is it these men testify against You?" Jesus kept silent and did not answer. The high priest's third and very direct question was, they asked Jesus if He was he Christ, the Son of the Blessed.

62. Jesus says, " I am." These are just two words but they are so powerful! I can take these two words and tell you everything that I am and everything that I have is because HE IS! Jesus also tells them that they will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power coming with the clouds of heaven. Amen and Amen! Maranatha!

63-64. The high priest tore his clothes(why did he do that?) and said to the others," WHat further need do we have of witnesses? You have heard the blasphemy! What do you think?" They all condemned Him to be deserving of death.

65. Some began to spit on Him. They blindfolded Him and beat Him saying," Prophesy!" The officers struck Him with the palms of their hands.

Kingsdaughter
Feb 22nd 2008, 05:40 PM
I had the same problem. I think it is related to the fact that I have Vista. :( Vista is so much fun! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: NOT! I need to ask my hubby to fix that little issue ... I get a 404 error, do you get the same?

:lol:Yes I get the 404 error. But I fear if I tell my hubby of this problem, I may be without a computer for a few days:P:rofl: I told him about the knob on the kitchen sink being loose and now I don't have a knob at all because he took it apart.:DLOL

Phroggie
Feb 22nd 2008, 05:54 PM

Hi Trina & Geri,

I can't access the link either. I wonder what special powers tango's computer has that ours don't?:rolleyes::lol:

Phroggie
Feb 22nd 2008, 05:56 PM
:lol:Yes I get the 404 error. But I fear if I tell my hubby of this problem, I may be without a computer for a few days:P:rofl: I told him about the knob on the kitchen sink being loose and now I don't have a knob at all because he took it apart.:DLOL

Trina, it sounds as if our hubbys are alot alike:rofl::D

Tanya~
Feb 22nd 2008, 06:17 PM
I could get it yesterday, but can't today. You can go to the main site and find the Revd Dr. Peter Mullen though, and read other articles by him. I couldn't find his article about the Canaanite woman. Maybe they removed it or moved it somewhere else.

Trina your point here is an excellent one:

There was a couple who came to my door and I think they said that they are from the ' church of light' they had a 'bible' and started quoting scripture, but I noticed that they had left out passages and in some verses they had changed some of the words. I thank God that He has given us the Holy Spirit to protect us from false teaching and to give us discernment to know whether it is false or maybe it is teaching that we are not ready for because we are at different stages of our faith and walk with the Lord.

Because you have the Holy Spirit in you, He gave you discernment that something wasn't right. Because you know the Scriptures, you were able to see specifically where some of their teachings were wrong -- so you knew good reasons to reject what they were trying to pass off to you. We are so blessed to live in a time where we have free access to God's word like we do, but even more that we have the Holy Spirit dwelling in us to guide us into the truth.

Kingsdaughter
Feb 22nd 2008, 07:39 PM
Hi Trina & Geri,

I can't access the link either. I wonder what special powers tango's computer has that ours don't?:rolleyes::lol:

:lol:maybe his computer has a special anointing:rolleyes::D

tango
Feb 22nd 2008, 10:48 PM
Sorry for the confusion with the link everybody, the nice people at the Daily Reckoning totally redesigned their web site between me posting the link and you trying to read it.

You can read a number of articles by the Rev at the new link. As yet the article I originally posted isn't there, whether that means they are copying things across or it's disappeared is uncertain.

There are other columnists on the Daily Reckoning (it's primarily a contrarian investment site). The link here is to the commentaries by the Revd Dr Peter Mullen, which have always been about faith-based things for as long as I've been reading them.

http://www.dailyreckoning.co.uk/Columnists/Revd-Dr-Peter-Mullen.html

Phroggie
Feb 22nd 2008, 11:20 PM
Evening All, still getting caught up.

53. The mob led Jesus away and took Him to the high priest. Those also present were the chief priests, elders and scribes.

Tanya your article on the Sanhedrin gave me a better picture of just how large this group was. Thanks.

54. Peter followed behind, but at a distance. He followed Jesus and the guards right through to the courtyard of high priests where he sat among the servants (NIV says guards) and warmed himself by the fire.

55-56. The chief priests and the entire Sanhedrin sought desperately for evidence against Jesus so they could put Him to death - no such evidence was found. Many falsely testified against Jesus but one of the statements tallied.

*d. Exodus 20:16 says, 'You shall not give false testimony against your neighbour.' Yet what are these guys doing here!?!:hmm:

Deut 19:16-19 states that if a malicious witness (read any of those falsely testifying) takes the stand to accuse another man of a crime, the two men involved must stand in the Lord's presence before the priests & judges who are in office at the time.

The judges must make a thorough investigation and if the witness proves to be a liar, giving false testimony against his brother, then do to him as he intended to do to his brother. You must purge the evil from you.

Did the Sanhedrin see Jesus as evil - seeing they were so keen to get rid of (purge) Him.:hmm:

57-59. Then a group of people rose and testified that they heard Jesus say, 'I will destroy this temple made with hands and within three days I will build another made without hands.'

John's gospel shows us that Jesus said 'Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days.'

The Jews responded by stating it had taken 46yrs to build the temple and scoffed, 'Yet you are going to raise it in three days?'

What they didn't realize was the temple Jesus referred to was His own body not a literal temple.

60-61. The high priest stood and proceeded to ask Jesus, 'Are you not going to answer? What is this testimony that these men are bringing against you?'

When Jesus gave no reply the high priest then asked,' Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed One?'

62. Jesus responds in saying, 'I am. And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.'

In today's English: Yes I am. And you will see me sitting at the right hand of God at the second coming.

I found the passage in Daniel particularly powerful - beautiful imagery; Jesus being led in to God's presence where He is given authority, glory and sovereign power. People of all nations and languages worship Him.

The most powerful being this last bit, 'His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed. AMEN!:pp

63-64. The high priest reacted by tearing Jesus' clothes while asking the others, 'Why do we need any more witnesses? You have heard the blasphemy. What do you think?' The entire group condemned Jesus as worthy of death.

65. And so begins the ill-treatment of our Saviour.:cry:

tango
Feb 22nd 2008, 11:32 PM
Peter was in the courtyard, having sneaked in some distance behind the crowd who were taking Jesus away. One of the servant girls came past, and recognised peter. She looked at him and said that he had been with Jesus.

Peter denied knowing Jesus and went out onto the porch, where a cock crowed. But the servant girl followed and started to tell the people around them that Peter had been with Jesus. Then other people around them started to ask Peter whether he had been with Jesus, because his speech gave away his Galilean origins (I guess it wouldn't be entirely unlike picking out the Texan in Boston). Once again he denied it, and each denial was more emphatic than the previous denial.

Then the cock crowed again, and Peter remembered the words of Jesus and how he would deny him three times. And he went out and wept bitterly.

I find this section raises a whole load of questions. Given the possibility that Peter had crept into the courtyard with a view to trying to break Jesus out of prison (I struggle to think of many other reasons he might have been there) his denials take on a whole different meaning.

Since Peter was effectively on a spying mission and being asked "are you a spy?" it's entirely natural that he should deny it. After all, had he admitted knowing Jesus he would have been locked up as well. He might have been perfectly willing to suffer that for Jesus, but it would have made his rescue mission fail at the first hurdle.

After all, Peter could have avoided the need to deny Jesus by not sneaking into the courtyard in the first place. He had gone there willingly, albeit under cover.

Yet the fact that he wept bitterly when the cock crowed suggests he knew he had failed somehow. Perhaps he was so caught up in his rescue plan and realised that it just wasn't meant to be. Perhaps he realised that in the hope of pulling off his subterfuge he had failed to be true to what Jesus had taught him. Perhaps he finally accepted and realised that Jesus was perfectly capable of breaking himself out of prison but had his own reasons for not doing it.

Either way when the cock crowed Peter realised what he had done, and that he had fulfilled Jesus' own prophecy. I'm not entirely sure it's safe to describe it as Peter "failing", but it's good to know that we can be made whole even when we fall down. Just as Peter may have had reasons that made perfect sense at the time, so we usually have our own reasons for why we didn't go the extra mile, help someone, whatever. But whatever we have done, repentance brings forgiveness.

I rather like this passage where forgiveness is concerned (emphasis mine):

Heb 10:16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
Heb 10:17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

Phroggie
Feb 22nd 2008, 11:56 PM
66. Peter had been following, at a distance, the guards who had captured Jesus. He made it all the way through to the courtyard of the high priest where we find him now; sitting among the servants, warming himself by the fire.

b. Peter is approached by one of the high priest's servant girls. Recognizing him she says, 'You also were with that Nazarene, Jesus.'

68. He denies this saying, 'I don't know or understand what you are talking about.' He went on to the porch in time to hear a rooster crowing.

69-70. The servant girl saw Peter again and began telling those nearby, 'This is one of them.' But again he denied knowing what she was talking about.

A while later Peter was yet again approached, this time by a group of people who had been standing nearby. They said to him, 'Surely you are one of them, for you are a Galilean.'

71. Peter began cursing and swearing 'I do not know this Man of whom you speak!'

Was he angry for being hounded by these people or was he angry at himself for denying knowing Jesus?:hmm:

72. Just then Peter heard a rooster crowing again. He remembered what Jesus had said to him, 'Before the rooster crows twice you will disown me three times. With that Peter broke down and wept.

* Knowing that Peter failed yet was later restored helps me to see that if God can forgive Peter for denying Him, I too will be forgiven of my sins.

That's all from this phroggie for tonight.

RoadWarrior
Feb 23rd 2008, 01:26 AM
66-67.a. Peter had followed at a distance, and is in the courtyard of the high priest, warming himself by the fire there.
b. One of the servant girls of the high priest came out to the courtyard.
c. She saw Peter, and recognized him, saying "You also were with Jesus of Nazareth."

a. Peter claimed not to know nor understand what she was saying, and walked away.
b. He went out onto a porch, and heard a rooster crow.

69-70.
a. The girl came out to the porch, saw Peter again, and told the people around there that he was one of the followers of Jesus.
b. Peter denied it.
c. d. The people there started to pay attention to Peter, noticing his Galilean accent and dialect.

71. Peter began to curse and swear. "I do not know this Man of whom you speak!"

72. See also Luke 22:62 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%2022:62;&version=31;)
a. Even while Peter was swearing and cursing, the rooster crowed again. Luke 22:61 says that Jesus turned and looked at Peter. That is when Peter remembered what the Lord had said to him, that he would deny Jesus. So Peter went out and wept bitterly.

*In what way does Peter's failure encourage you, knowing that he was restored by the Lord later?

This is always challenging, because it seems that we have good intentions, but frequently fail to live up to them. While our failures may not have the impact of Peter's failure in this instance, we can know that Jesus did not abandon Peter, nor will He abandon us for our failings.

I am frequently grateful that the Lord took Peter as one of His inner circle. He is the one who helps us see the weakness of being a human follower of Christ, and the grace that the Lord grants to us all.

Kingsdaughter
Feb 23rd 2008, 02:24 AM
66-67. Peter was in the courtyard of the high priest and he was warming himself by the fire with the servants. One of the servant girls of the high priest came and saw Peter. She looked at him and said," You also were with Jesus of Nazareth."

68. Peter denied it and said," I neither know nor understand what you are saying." He then went out on the porch, and a rooster crowed.

69-70 The servant girl saw him again and said to those who stood by," This is one of them." Peter denied it again. Those who stood by said to Peter again," Surely you are on of them; for you are a Galilean and your speech shows it."

71. I think Peter's response was because he felt guilty and was angry at himself for what he was doing and afraid of being 'found out'.

72. The rooster crowed a second time and Peter remembered what the Lord had said and he thought about it and wept.

I think of the many times I've sinned against the LOrd even after becoming His child. I come back to Him in tears because of what I have done and I remember His faithfulness to me and His love. Yes, Peter's story is very encouraging and praise GOd that He is merciful and loving. I praise Him that He is not like us:D...grudge holders:lol: But if we truly repent of our sins and ask for HIs forgiveness, He will forgive our sins and remember them no more:ppI praise you Lord!

Kingsdaughter
Feb 23rd 2008, 05:58 PM
Hello everyone, I won't be posting for a while my sister-in-law died last night and we are making arrangements to fly out to Minnesota. Please pray for us and my husbands mom. I love you all:hug:

RoadWarrior
Feb 23rd 2008, 06:25 PM
Hello everyone, I won't be posting for a while my sister-in-law died last night and we are making arrangements to fly out to Minnesota. Please pray for us and my husbands mom. I love you all:hug:

You will be missed!

Dear Lord, I pray for this family, as they deal with this sad part of life, the loss of a loved one. Please be especially with the mother, it is very hard for a parent to lose a child. Keep Trina and her little family safe as they travel, and let them be a tender expression of your love, mercy and grace in the days ahead. Comfort them all, as only You can. Amen.

:pray:

Tanya~
Feb 23rd 2008, 06:30 PM
Trina, I'm so sorry for your loss! :( May the Lord comfort each of you, especially your mother-in-law, as you go through this time of grieving. :(

Phroggie
Feb 23rd 2008, 08:11 PM
Trina,

tango and I are so very sorry for your loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and the rest of the family.:pray: Praying for a safe journey to Minnesota and back.

Love,
Jen & tango:hug::pray:

Tanya~
Feb 25th 2008, 05:32 AM
Next week's study is located here (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?p=1551175#post1551175). I received a request to include a link to the new week's thread in the previous thread so the notice comes up in the CP in case they forgot to look for the new thread. :) I hope that makes sense! But I agreed it's a good idea, just making it more convenient for you.

Love and hugs! :hug: